Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Marigold said:

I've said this before, way back. I wonder if it's Jinger who is doing all these changes or Jeremy who is saying "wear shorts, wear pants".  Now she is light blonde. 

Are these Jinger's true ideas and feelings?  Or is this Jeremy calling the shots? Or is this Jinger just submitting to Jeremy which is no different than how she was raised...she is just submitting to a more modern man. 

People are very quick to congratulate Jinger on finally being free but we have no idea on who is making these changes and why. 

I think there is a lot more to "being free" than wearing shorts on instagram. For all we know, Jinger might hate shorts (like many women) and does it just to please Jeremy.  So that is not a free Jinger at all.  It's exactly the same as she was raised. 

Obviously we don't know their personal lives and it's just a fun snark board...but these are the things I think about. 😃

I think it's fine if Jeremy gets Jinger to try new things. So far everything they've done is reversible. If she doesn't like wearing pants, she can wear skirts/dresses again. If she doesn't like having dyed hair, she can go back to her natural color. 

To some extent, I think I would like to have a partner who encourages me to try new things. I also think breaking the rules of Gothard is the first step is venturing out of the IBLP bubble. It may never progress farther than this, but it's still better than trying to maintain what they had.

One more thing about pants in particular. As fundie as they were, JB's family always spent time with Deanna and Amy (and maybe Mary?), who wore pants.  (Amy appears in jeans in one of the first specials.) It may seem less of a big deal to Jinger since they know people who wore pants. 

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, Temperance said:

To some extent, I think I would like to have a partner who encourages me to try new things. I also think breaking the rules of Gothard is the first step is venturing out of the IBLP bubble. It may never progress farther than this, but it's still better than trying to maintain what they had.

I think for me it would probably depend on if it is a two-way street or, at least, if they are aware of the dynamic and it was part of a conscious decision to develop horizons.

But the impression I always have of Jinger is her gazing adoringly at Babe and he seems like the type who likes to be the center of attention, so I could easily see her doing anything he tells her, regardless of whether she really wants to or if it is for her own good. I think that's what people are concerned about and possibly picking up on, and if it is the case, it isn't a healthy dynamic. 

But admittedly I have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. Jeremy may be very open to Jinger suggesting things for him, too, or they may have an agreement or understanding or realization that her childhood was fucked up and sheltered and they can take baby steps in getting over that. (One of my friends and her husband have this, and I think it is sweet that she gets him out of his comfort zone without freaking him out.) And if that's the case, that's actually quite mature and commendable. I just don't know that the rest of their behavior really matches that. 

• Love 15
7 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I think some golden highlights or balayage would've been more flattering. This color is a bit extreme & looks too fake. JMO

There was a Christian comedian who used the term "Bible Barbie", & that's what I'm thinking of now when I see her LOL.

People on The View threads liked to call Candace Cameron "Christian Barbie".

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Temperance said:

I think it's fine if Jeremy gets Jinger to try new things. So far everything they've done is reversible. If she doesn't like wearing pants, she can wear skirts/dresses again. If she doesn't like having dyed hair, she can go back to her natural color. 

One more thing about pants in particular. As fundie as they were, JB's family always spent time with Deanna and Amy (and maybe Mary?), who wore pants.  (Amy appears in jeans in one of the first specials.) It may seem less of a big deal to Jinger since they know people who wore pants. 

Totally agree. At least Jinger has the opportunity (even if it's given by Jeremy) to try new things. I

No one is fan-girling Jinger on this board. Everyone seems pretty balanced with their opinions.  

Some of the FB pages are so overly excited about her blonde hair. As if she has completely broken free because she has pants and blonde hair.  If only it were that easy, ya know? It's way more complicated than that. 

• Love 16
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Some of the FB pages are so overly excited about her blonde hair. As if she has completely broken free because she has pants and blonde hair.  If only it were that easy, ya know? It's way more complicated than that. 

The bend and snap IS difficult to master.

giphy.gif

Edited by JoanArc
  • LOL 11
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Zella said:

I think Jeremy has recently eroded a lot of the goodwill the Vuolos initially built up. All of his pretentious posturing has not been a good look. 

Good luck posting on Reddit certain times of the day. I've posted negative opinions of the Vuolos on /r/DuggarsSnark and gotten down into the double digit negatives before rising up again. There are people who watch that subreddit like a hawk and get upset when the Vuolos specifically are "attacked". It's not as bad here but Jinger does seem to get a bit more leeway than her sisters because "she's made changes". I think Jill would have gotten a far worse reaction if she had did this and a much bigger mockery. 

• Love 12

It's funny how we view these threads. I see most posts as down the middle snark until they're not - mine included. But I see Jessa as the most 'liked' Duggar female on here, and she's one of my least favorite along with Amy & Lauren. Jinger I'm still figuring out. Jill makes me shake my head until it hurts and JillR (though not a Duggar) leaves me thinking the world has gone crazy.

I would not want Ben, Derick or Jeremy as a son-in-law. Austin either, however he gets points for working for a living.

I can't seem to be too snarkful with Anna due to her circumstances. (Until she Tweets)

Abby & Kendra seem to be the closest to normal. However I continue to reserve my right to change my opinion with them.

But even when Jinger was Free Jinger, she never seemed a 'fan favorite' on here, at least to me.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Good luck posting on Reddit certain times of the day. I've posted negative opinions of the Vuolos on /r/DuggarsSnark and gotten down into the double digit negatives before rising up again. There are people who watch that subreddit like a hawk and get upset when the Vuolos specifically are "attacked". It's not as bad here but Jinger does seem to get a bit more leeway than her sisters because "she's made changes". I think Jill would have gotten a far worse reaction if she had did this and a much bigger mockery. 

Ah I don't participate in anything on Reddit so was unaware of that. I feel like there's been a little bit of a turn against them on here in recent weeks. I'm curious if she had done this several months ago if the backlash would have been fairly muted, if only because it was before Jeremy was waving expensive pocket handkerchiefs in everybody's faces. 😂

• Love 4

See, I think Jinger was the gal in the family who always played around with her looks. Dark spray (or whatever) tan, way too dark hair, and the raccoon eye makeup. None of the others tried that. So it’s not strange to me to see her go blonde.  Plus she was always super thin. It was never that noticeable because she has a full face. 

• Love 13
On 6/6/2019 at 3:44 PM, Brown eyed girl said:

Jinger went blonde and shorter  

FFC0CCC3-5512-443C-B0A3-30B6D15D9724.jpeg

8AEA71DD-7B2D-42E2-907F-6DF80D62F64B.jpeg

In that top picture she looks almost identical to a woman I was in law school with decades ago.  Very uncanny resemblance.   I do think my law school friend did her make up differently to match better with her blonde tresses. 

I mostly like it.   I would suggest she cut a few more inches.  I actually think I would like it a little better with some pink streaks in it.

I hope she likes her life in the big city.  I guess they have moved already.  I don't keep up with them as much when the show is not running.

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, EmeraldGirl said:

See, I think Jinger was the gal in the family who always played around with her looks. Dark spray (or whatever) tan, way too dark hair, and the raccoon eye makeup. None of the others tried that. So it’s not strange to me to see her go blonde.  Plus she was always super thin. It was never that noticeable because she has a full face.

If I remember correctly, wasn't the old saying "Free Jinger" ? Everyone thought she would be the one to break free. Well, she is trying new things, good for her.

• Love 12

I'm interested to see how the blonde looks when Jinger is styling it herself. Everything looks way better right after you leave the salon! Even if Jinger takes care of it, it will certainly look different from here on out. 

I've had so many friends get on board with the trendy slightly past shoulder length, wavy style lately. When they left the salon, they looked so trendy and on point, like actresses on tv. However, that particular style seems to be hard to pull off, and then looks like just a mousy, blah length cut when they do it themselves. They hate it, and then start growing it long again. Jinger's is longer, so there's more versatility, but I imagine she'll have to get the roots done fairly often!

• Love 10
8 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

It’s just hair.  Hasn’t Jill dyed part of her hair blue at times? 

I don't think Jill has ever dyed her hair any color. 

• Love 4

She’s got that California surfer girl vibe going on. I think a color with more depth and contrast like balayage would have look better too though. 

I hope she doesn’t feel pressure to conform to a certain look when she moves. I’m not sure what part of California she’s going to though. I think Jeremy is very image conscious and can see how she’d feel like she needs to “keep up”. 

• Love 7
On 6/6/2019 at 4:09 PM, BitterApple said:

Okay, who called it? I'm too lazy to look back through the thread. We need to give credit where credit is due.

Btw, I think it looks horrible and doesn't flatter her skin tone at all. I predict lip filler and a boob job are next.

You’re right it’s absolutely the wrong shade for her skin tone. A darker more honey blond would’ve been better. That color only occurs naturally on small children. 

But it’s just hair and it grows back. If she likes it more power to her. I think a shade like that would look pretty on Joy. 

• Love 10
(edited)

I was thinking that shade would have looked good on Jessa!

Jinger's the artsy one, and she had played with her looks more than anyone, even pre-Jeremy. I think her natural hair color is like Jessa's hair color (light/medium brown), but for a while her hair was darker brown until she was later in her pregnancy with Felicity. 

image.png.351b60efd1b670be8fd6637dcfd6c299.png

Edited by madpsych78
  • Love 3

IDK I think I like it.  I've never been a fan of the dyed blond hair with dark eyebrows look but there are thousands of women out there who style that way so that part isn't weird.  I don't think the blond looks too light for her at least not in the pictures I saw maybe because it's not solid and you can clearly see the highlights and darker areas.  I'm not sure she can call it a Balayage, it doesn't look dark enough at the roots which I think is the point of that sort of coloring technique (but don't quote me on that I'm not nearly up on the current trends enough to be sure, only going by what I read since I had to look it up).  I would have been really impressed if she colored it and when we clicked on the picture we also saw she took six or more inches off.  She's already happily wearing skinny jeans, buying a home with a mortgage, moving to Cali, add short hair to the mix and we really might see JB's head explode from the loss of control.

I'll give Jinger this though - coloring your hair is really common for teens as they start to express themselves which Jinger didn't get to do much.  Little changes but nothing radical certainly nothing that could be termed true self expression.  If she wants to try that now even if she's hit and miss on the color choice then more power to her. 

• Love 16

I am curious if they do this intentionally, or if it's just some impulse they feel when someone else is getting attention. Jessa has a baby, and suddenly Jinger is a blonde.

There are dozens of instances of this. I'm not sure that is conscious, either -- they were all starved of attention and affection for so long. On the other hand, they're all tremendously competitive, and I don't think they're terribly fond of each other (despite the constant insistence that they're "close"), so it could be just that bald and overt.

• Love 21
54 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I am curious if they do this intentionally, or if it's just some impulse they feel when someone else is getting attention. Jessa has a baby, and suddenly Jinger is a blonde.

There are dozens of instances of this. I'm not sure that is conscious, either -- they were all starved of attention and affection for so long. On the other hand, they're all tremendously competitive, and I don't think they're terribly fond of each other (despite the constant insistence that they're "close"), so it could be just that bald and overt.

Can you IMAGINE what they'll do to compete with jana gets in a courtship?

• LOL 6
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

Oh, I definitely think there's competition with these girls. I don't think Jinger or Jill are as consciously manipulative as Jessa, but maybe they felt a twinge of anxiety when Jessa had Ivy and instinctively did something to put themselves back on the radar. As you noted, attention and positive reinforcement were hard to come by in their household. I can see them forming an addiction to it now that they're getting validation through social media. 

• Love 13
3 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I think it's especially the case with Jinger, Jill, and Jessa. I don't sense it as much with Jana or Joy, or with any of the Duggar sons.

I agree. I wonder if jana has more attention from her parents, since she basically raises the kids. I'm sure this requires communicating with them a lot, and they probably thank or compliment her from time to time. She probably feels "special" and validated in a way the younger girls don't. 

Also, joy just seems to care less about everything, period. She might not care enough about it being validated. 

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I don't sense it as much with Jana or Joy, or with any of the Duggar sons.

I don't either. Jana is an introvert and doesn't seek attention, and Joy and Kendra are simple girls. If Instagram went away tomorrow, it wouldn't phase them one bit. I think Lauren is a big, fat famewhore, but her relationship with Si is so painful and awkward to watch, she can't generate enough sustained interest.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, Christina87 said:

I agree. I wonder if jana has more attention from her parents, since she basically raises the kids. I'm sure this requires communicating with them a lot, and they probably thank or compliment her from time to time. She probably feels "special" and validated in a way the younger girls don't.

A hard "no" on that. JB & M checked out of parenting a long time ago. They don't give a crap, and they sure as hell are not going to thank or compliment her at all.

• Love 9
6 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Let’s see if Jill now tries to go blonde! Of course, she will attempt to do it herself from a box and it will be a spectacular failure because she is, after all, Jill.

I hate to even think of what that would look like.

She might be able to pull off red, though. She has a bit of that big-eyed,pale skinned, freckled face that would work with red. If she cut (a lot of) her hair and went with a (professionally done) strawberry blonde, or red, it might be cute.

Unfortunately, she's Jill, and she would try to do a bottle blonde on all that ratty hair, and it would be a disaster.

• Love 6

I think Jill could be either a blonde or redhead. Her natural color seems much lighter than Jinger's. It would not need as much bleach especially if she went for highlights. Of course trying something at home is risky if you don't know much about hair dye. 

• Love 3

I think Jana is just as attention starved as the rest. 

However, I don't think the internet will explode when she enters a courtship. Most people don't know one Duggar from the next aside from Josh. This forum would explode tho.

Chances are she already is and we are going to get an announcement in fall. And I do hope Lauren, Jinger, Jessa and Jill try to one up her via SM because it is hilarious to watch.

I think Joy is the one who genuinely doesn't give a shit about it, and I feel like Kendra has a private IG account and doesnt care about the public one.  

• Love 9
(edited)

The TLC instagram posted Jinger's new look, so I'm sure it was all filmed. Soon enough we'll se an episode where JerMe suggests a new look to Jinger for her new LA life. 

I know he's trying real hard to get his own spinoff. He even liked a comment on Twitter when someone suggested that to him.

Edited by Lunera
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14
(edited)
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

Also, joy just seems to care less about everything, period. She might not care enough about it being validated. 

Maybe. But some people are just less emotionally invested in the image they project than others. Especially a sort of public image. There are people who really really care about that and people who don't care about it much at all. (and then everybody in the middle). 

And you can be a person who doesn't care about your public image much or at all and still care a lot about other things. Including even your image in private to select people -- or something else. That's how it seems to me anyway.

I just really doubt that Jana gets much attention -- especially positive attention-- from her parents, or ever did. (not that the others did, either, except for Joshley in the olden days) Aside from being mentioned often when Meeechelle describes the pains of pregnancy, I doubt they pay any attention to Jana at all.

Seems to me more likely they just put her on automatic pilot to take care of the kids and the house long long ago. And since she's a conscientious sort whose contentment mainly derives from keeping busy, she just goes on doing it day after day because it's her role. Performing the role makes her feel validated, I expect, but I have a hard time seeing JB and Meeechelle ever saying "thank you" for it, or whatnot. 

Jana and Joy both seem to me to be more the type of people who get most of their satisfaction in life from just doing stuff, and less from the world's responses to what they do.

Jill, Jessa and Jinger, meanwhile, seem to me as if they may get more of their satisfaction from approval and less from just being busy. And since, like the others, they've never gotten much positive attention from their parents (who are too busy preening themselves to really know or appreciate any of their kids, in my opinion), now they pretty eagerly seek that attention and positivity elsewhere. 

I feel as if I can categorize myself and pretty much everybody in my life somewhere along a spectrum of that kind. So why not the Duggarlings,? Of course, I could be nuts in this assessment! 

We're saying a lot of the same things, of course. I just don't see Jana as getting much validation from her family. And i do think Joy's interested in things -- but may not need validation as much as the middle three girls. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 16
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

The TLC instagram posted Jinger's new look, so I'm sure it was all filmed. Soon enough we'll se an episode where JerMe suggests a new look to Jinger for her new LA life. 

I know he's trying real hard to get his own spinoff. He even liked a comment on Twitter when someone suggested that to him.

Well, I find it hard to envision much that would be more boring than the current show --with a bunch of Duggars and Adjacents -- except a show focusing on just one Duggar and her adjacent. Whether that pair lives in LA or elsewhere. 

Although I wouldn't put it past TLC to try it. Since the Duggars are, after all, a known quantity. They'd definitely have to go back to creating adventures for their "stars," though. And that would cost money -- so that fact might make them hesitate. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, PradaKitty said:

Let’s see if Jill now tries to go blonde! Of course, she will attempt to do it herself from a box and it will be a spectacular failure because she is, after all, Jill.

Yes, Jill will long orange and yellow hair.  The dye will ruin most of it requiring her to chop it all off or even shave it to begin again.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Yes, Jill will long orange and yellow hair.  The dye will ruin most of it requiring her to chop it all off or even shave it to begin again.

...which, since it would require starting from scratch without the 20 years of split ends most of them have accumulated, could be the best thing that's happened to any female Duggarlings' hair 

• Love 18
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

...which, since it would require starting from scratch without the 20 years of split ends most of them have accumulated, could be the best thing that's happened to any female Duggarlings' hair 

I don't think that Jill would be able to find a stylist who would dye her hair blonde without cutting off at least 2 feet at the onset.   There is not enough olaplex #3 in the world to repair her hair, and the double process would ruin her hair.  

• Love 7
21 hours ago, Christina87 said:

I'm interested to see how the blonde looks when Jinger is styling it herself. Everything looks way better right after you leave the salon! Even if Jinger takes care of it, it will certainly look different from here on out. 

I've had so many friends get on board with the trendy slightly past shoulder length, wavy style lately. When they left the salon, they looked so trendy and on point, like actresses on tv. However, that particular style seems to be hard to pull off, and then looks like just a mousy, blah length cut when they do it themselves. They hate it, and then start growing it long again. Jinger's is longer, so there's more versatility, but I imagine she'll have to get the roots done fairly often!

Oh, I expect that hair to be a complete disaster withing a month. Considering how up until recently it was completely fried, I don't think she's going to do do a good job of managing the damage that bleaching does. 

• Love 6

Well Jill probably saw someone dye hair once, so of course she is able to dye her own hair! I agree that it would then turn some weird color, Sam would have dye on his hands (& the wall) and Izzy would be photographing the whole thing.

• LOL 11
  • Love 4
(edited)
47 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Well Jill probably saw someone dye hair once, so of course she is able to dye her own hair! I agree that it would then turn some weird color, Sam would have dye on his hands (& the wall) and Izzy would be photographing the whole thing.

Considering the nose ring, I could see Jill going for a loud, unnatural color. She'd preface the instagram reveal with some anecdote about walking past the hair dye aisle at the store and Izzy saw a picture of someone with blue hair and told her he thinks she should have blue hair. And then she'd dye it magenta. 

Edited by lascuba
  • LOL 4
  • Love 5
On 6/6/2019 at 7:35 PM, Puffin said:

I bet she’s got a bikini 😉

Boob and Meechelle's heads would explode. First pants on multiple daughters, nose ring, blonde hair(while not too extreme I remember hearing the reason no one got to go to real college was they could run into someone with green hair, could be wrong on that but that's how I remember that), and then normal bathing suits or bikini's will likely be one bridge too far for Meechelle and the Boobster.

• Love 6
47 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Oh, I expect that hair to be a complete disaster withing a month. Considering how up until recently it was completely fried, I don't think she's going to do do a good job of managing the damage that bleaching does. 

Not to mention the special shampoo and toners Jinger's going to need to prevent brassiness. It wouldn't surprise me if she goes back to brunette once summer is over. TLC may have paid for the initial salon visit, but they're not going to pay for root touch-ups every 4-6 weeks. 

• Love 15