Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I have a feeling there are quite a few of us here who love to read and have a large collection of books. 

Anyone post pretentious pictures of themselves in front of the books????  

Self Love JereMe

Well it is hard to capture in a photograph my collection of ebooks.  If I could my collection of romance novels and erotica would really be a nice compliment to Jeremy's library.  I really don't buy that many physical books anymore.   I can take a picture of the public library books I manage.

• LOL 6
  • Love 6

Yeah I own several thousand books and have never once taken a picture of myself in front of my books. My bookshelves also have, like, books piled on top of books and multiple rows of books, and a lot of my books are in boxes because I have limited shelf space. 😞

• Love 19

I love books.  l love a library.  when we moved we got rid of a lot of "regular" books that were not "important" (although all books have some level of importance) meaning we didn't have any attachment to them.  We moved all our books to shelving not visible to people coming to visit, not that we have a lot of that, but, to the casual observer it looks like we don't have any books.  Does Jeremy take people into his office to admire his collection or does he just share them with his minions on social media?

• Love 5
On 5/23/2019 at 1:47 PM, bigskygirl said:

I think Jermeme is more in love with himself than Jinger is.

Mirror Mirror on the wall whose the greatest Duggar son-in-law of them all...

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

I love books.  l love a library.  when we moved we got rid of a lot of "regular" books that were not "important" (although all books have some level of importance) meaning we didn't have any attachment to them.  We moved all our books to shelving not visible to people coming to visit, not that we have a lot of that, but, to the casual observer it looks like we don't have any books.  Does Jeremy take people into his office to admire his collection or does he just share them with his minions on social media?

I think he brings everyone who steps into his home.   How else can he prove his smarter he is without this display.  He is a poseur.

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
8 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I think he brings everyone who steps into his home.   How else can he prove his smarter he is without this display.  He is a poseur.

Jinger answers the door and takes visitor to Pastor Vuolo in His Study.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, JoanArc said:

Jinger answers the door and takes visitor to Pastor Vuolo in His Study.

"Babe there are some people here to see how wonderful you are!" "Do you want me to make some coffee or just glaze at you because you are so wonderful and blissful!"

7 minutes ago, BrianJ1962 said:

Has any of the daughters and/or daughter in laws directly or indirectly said they want to have the most kids 

I think Anna has said something to the effect of having as many blessings as God sees fit for her and Smugs.

I honestly can't see JerME wanting (nor being able to handle) a huge brood,

• Love 4
(edited)
11 minutes ago, BrianJ1962 said:

Has any of the daughters and/or daughter in laws directly or indirectly said they want to have the most kids 

Jill did when she got married (while talking with her dad before the ceremony). That was before she had kids obviously and since then she's had two very challenging c-sections. While all things are possible with God, it seems unlikely that Jill will have the most kids although they will probably have more.

Most of the Duggars at some point have said "We'll have as many as God will give us."  including Jill, Joy, Kendra, Anna, etc. 

The only couple who hasn't said that (that I know of) is Jeremy and Jinger who been vague on what their plans for their family are.  It sounds like they want a smaller family than her family she grew up in (good for them). 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, BrianJ1962 said:

Can someone explain what season/in season means in regards to childbirth, is this just a Fundie saying?

The season of life thing is a way to differentiate between the phases of a woman's life--childhood, childbearing years, and menopause.   I've heard non-fundie woman refer to menopause as a new season of life .

• Love 3
(edited)

Grace community church just posted this picture. Maybe I am being judgmental, but these just don't look like people who want to hear a fifty minute fire and brimstone lofty but incoherent sermon. What am I missing here? Why do they still come?

IMG_2560.PNG

Edited by Christina87
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Grace community church just posted this picture. Maybe I am being judgmental, but these just don't look like people who want to hear a fifty minute fire and brimstone lofty but incoherent sermon. What am I missing here? Why do they still come?

IMG_2560.PNG

I have no idea who would like to hear a fifty minutes sermon about fire and brimstone or what those people would look like. However if the church has AC and I don't and I live in Laredo that's fifty minutes of sitting in a cool environment. I also will say that Jeremy at least doesn't scream too much and the sermon I saw wasn't too fire and brimstoney. His sermons are more easy-listening to put one to sleep. In AC. 

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
27 minutes ago, Temperance said:

I also will say that Jeremy at least doesn't scream too much and the sermon I saw wasn't too fire and brimstoney. His sermons are more easy-listening to put one to sleep. In AC. 

Exactly, all of the sermons I've listened to are mainly rambling and mental-gymnastics trying to interpret bible verses to fit his point he's trying to make, which is usually very unclear.  I'm thinking there must be more to the services that bring in the (minimal) people that attend.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, Temperance said:

His sermons are more easy-listening to put one to sleep. In AC. 

And Jeremy gets his wish -- He gets to be the cool, dreamy guy.  ;  )

Makes sense to me!

• LOL 8
34 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Exactly, all of the sermons I've listened to are mainly rambling and mental-gymnastics trying to interpret bible verses to fit his point he's trying to make, which is usually very unclear.  I'm thinking there must be more to the services that bring in the (minimal) people that attend.

Free food. Open bar.

(Well, that’s what it would take to get me in there. I can’t promise I won’t roll my eyes, snort derisively, or pointedly check my watch, even still.)

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Free food. Open bar.

(Well, that’s what it would take to get me in there. I can’t promise I won’t roll my eyes, snort derisively, or pointedly check my watch, even still.)

I don't know about Grace Church, but there is a movement in some Protestant churches to providing food and non-alcoholic drinks to the congregation before and during the service.   The church my sister's family is going to had breakfast with coffee and juice between services on Easter and closed the kitchen right before the sermon.  Another church in my town provides snacks and doesn't blink any eye if you bring in some Starbucks or Bojangles.   This is way to weird for my Catholic ass.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Temperance said:

I have no idea who would like to hear a fifty minutes sermon about fire and brimstone or what those people would look like. However if the church has AC and I don't and I live in Laredo that's fifty minutes of sitting in a cool environment. I also will say that Jeremy at least doesn't scream too much and the sermon I saw wasn't too fire and brimstoney. His sermons are more easy-listening to put one to sleep. In AC. 

Plus there's always the chance that one will show up on a Duggar-adjacent photo/post if that holds any sway with you. Nor sure why it would, but you never know what might be a thing. Maybe it brings you a degree closer to Kevin Bacon for all I know.

• Love 5

I don't think I've ever been in a Protestant church that allowed or served food during services, but I know some of the mega churches have coffee shops in them. Some of the churches I am familiar with would have potluck meals afterward but always in a separate kitchen. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a shift toward meals beforehand or more informal ones. 

I remember attending some Catholic services when I was a child (late 90s), where they briefly served orange juice and doughnuts. I think after the service? It wasn't in the sanctuary. I don't remember the timing in relation to the service, but I just remember thinking that was a brilliant idea and wondering why none of the other churches I had been to did something similar. 🙂 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Christina87 said:

IMG_2560.PNG

The eternal mystery!!  What keeps them coming?  And will they be relieved when Pastor V leaves and they don’t have to sit through the droning?  

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)

I am Methodist & our church has always served coffee, juice & donut holes since I was a child. It is  a way for everyone to fellowship between services and church school. They are served in one of the unused rooms near the kitchen & never brought into the main sanctuary of the church. Our church also has a Contemporary service which is held in the Fellowship Hall.  It is a come as you are more modern type of service with a small band made up of church members for music and is geared toward the younger church members & families.  It is held the same time as the Sunday school classes which is convenient for a lot of families.  Bringing in a cup of  coffee (whether from coffee time or Starbucks) or a Coke wouldn't be a problem at the Contemporary service  but would definitely be frowned upon at either of the regular services held in the sanctuary. 

My sister's Methodist church has a similar Contemporary service held twice a month in their Fellowship Hall called Cafe Church.  A basic continental type breakfast of donuts, pastries,  coffee, juice & possibly mixed fruit is served. Sometimes a few breakfast casseroles are served for a special occasions. (It's a small church.) 

I think the Lutheran church in our town also has a similar type of coffee hour between services.  

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Is it just me or does Jingle look like a gigantic moth just landed on the side of her head? 

I love Jinger’s dress and heels- I’d wear that to work in a heart beat, but her hair is laid over her shoulder in an odd way. Wouldn’t she want it out of her face for the photo?

6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I feel like FeliciTy should be around 2 years old by now.

She turns 1 in July. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I love Jinger’s dress and heels- I’d wear that to work in a heart beat, but her hair is laid over her shoulder in an odd way. Wouldn’t she want it out of her face for the photo?

She turns 1 in July. 

I too am baffled by Jinger's hair.  A structured dress and heels like that need an actual hairstyle not just leaving it long and free.  Even a simple ponytail would elevate the look.  I cannot style my hair for shit, but I know this and keep it short because of this.  Why have extremely long hair if you aren't going to do anything to it?

• Love 16

There is the possibility that Jeremy's personality is better than his sermons. My kids had a youth pastor whose preaching sounded just like Jeremy, but who was a fun and exciting person. Wednesday night youth group was almost as big as our Sunday service because of the community kids who came in. When he left the next youth pastor was a better preacher but an absolute blob personality-wise. The youth group dwindled down to just the church kids in a pretty short time.

• Useful 4
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, Nysha said:

There is the possibility that Jeremy's personality is better than his sermons. My kids had a youth pastor whose preaching sounded just like Jeremy, but who was a fun and exciting person. Wednesday night youth group was almost as big as our Sunday service because of the community kids who came in. When he left the next youth pastor was a better preacher but an absolute blob personality-wise. The youth group dwindled down to just the church kids in a pretty short time.

I think that may well be true. 

Unfortunately, though, when he talks about the ministry he seems to really show interest in nothing but the preaching preaching preaching part...... From what I've seen of the church website over time, it appears, for example, that Jer seldom took part in non-Sunday-preaching events at the church. He's definitely not playing to a strength with his sole focus on preaching, but I haven't seen any evidence that he realizes that.

• Love 9
19 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I’ve seen this happen.  A big part of the church is not the message that is being delivered, but the person delivering the message. Charisma and likeability are what keep people coming.  A lackluster message doesn’t seem to matter as much if you like the person up there. 

• Love 9
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Spencer Hastings said:

I’ve seen this happen.  A big part of the church is not the message that is being delivered, but the person delivering the message. Charisma and likeability are what keep people coming.  A lackluster message doesn’t seem to matter as much if you like the person up there. 

Well, in this case, he delivers his sermons with zero charisma. It's not just his messages that are blah and impenetrable, it's his entire manner. He barely looks at people, most of the time he's completely un-animated, and he drones on in a soft barely inflected voice. 

So if he's showing charisma, he's not showing it much on Sunday morning, since his sermons are quite long and almost certainly dominate the service. 

Haven't really heard what other church events he's involved in, but if he's showing charisma, it must be at those events.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
24 minutes ago, Nysha said:

This reminds me of being in the Methodist church! We get a new preacher every 4-7 years, so we learn how to adjust really quickly. It's kind of funny, because even when we have a bad pastor, we stay, because we know he/she will move on soon. But truly, all pastors have their strong and weak points, and we learn to appreciate those. Some are great speakers but lazy in everything else, some are good at home visits / doing good in the community but boring preachers, and everything in between. We learn really quickly to size up the pastor and appreciate their good points. We've only had one truly bad one, which is our current pastor, and she is only bad because she's manipulative and a habitual liar. In fact, she has the same personality as my principal, but she's better at causing trouble. Besides her, though, there have been strong and weak points with all of them, and we learn to roll with it. 

I was actually talking to a baptist friend the other day, and I said, "what if a pastor is terrible, and then you're stuck with them for 20 years?!" She said, "then you go somewhere else." It was funny, because that would never occur to us!

10 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, in this case, he delivers his sermons with zero charisma. It's not just his messages that are blah and impenetrable, it's his entire manner. He barely looks at people, most of the time he's completely un-animated, and he drones on in a soft barely inflected voice. 

So if he's showing charisma, he's not showing it much on Sunday morning, since his sermons are quite long and almost certainly dominate the service. 

Haven't really heard what other church events he's involved in, but if he's showing charisma, it must be at those events.

I wish I could like this 200 times. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

But truly, all pastors have their strong and weak points, and we learn to appreciate those. Some are great speakers but lazy in everything else, some are good at home visits / doing good in the community but boring preachers, and everything in between.

I go to a non-denominational church. The last preacher (as he called himself) we had was extremely boring in his sermons, but he was a wonderful man and would help whenever and however he could.  Almost three years ago he passed away and now we have a new preacher.  In the beginning, I liked the new guy's sermons, but he is not as a good man when it comes to helping the (tiny) congregation.  He doesn't attend the prayer meetings (neither do I, but I'm not the preacher). He expects everyone else to do things to make the church look good, but it seems to me like he's just there to collect a paycheck. Even his wife never attends any of the ladies meetings. I keep thinking about changing churches, but I love the people there.  Jeremy seems to me to be the kind to collect a paycheck, but maybe not volunteer any of his other time with helping the congregation.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

Some are great speakers but lazy in everything else, some are good at home visits / doing good in the community but boring preachers, and everything in between

And at least one is great at being a pretentious douche.

• LOL 8
  • Love 5

It’s sitting weird for the photo, but I think Jinger’s hair looks pretty, especially when you compare it to Jill’s. It looks shiny and healthy and styled, and she has some kind of barrette or Bobby pin in it, pulling some of it under up top.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

That’s what I meant. His sermons are blah but maybe he shines outside of Sunday services.  They might genuinely like him as a person and that’s why they keep coming back. Not defending him but I’ve seen stranger things in the church. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Spencer Hastings said:

That’s what I meant. His sermons are blah but maybe he shines outside of Sunday services.  They might genuinely like him as a person and that’s why they keep coming back. Not defending him but I’ve seen stranger things in the church. 

quite true!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, truebluesmoky said:

It’s sitting weird for the photo, but I think Jinger’s hair looks pretty, especially when you compare it to Jill’s. It looks shiny and healthy and styled, and she has some kind of barrette or Bobby pin in it, pulling some of it under up top.

Agreed.  That's a nice photo where everybody is stylishly dressed and immaculately groomed.  Nothing Duggar about it, except for the DNA in Jinger and Felicity.  And sadly, they can't eliminate that.  

• Love 4

I can’t conclude too much about what the congregation thinks about JereMEE based on one guy’s praise. Jer may have helped this guy out and impressed him, but still done very little for others and the church. Or Jer may be well-liked/ respected. Hard to tell since Jer hasn’t shown much of his church life.

• Love 12

Unlike most of the Duggars, at least the Vuolo family looks clean and groomed in the photo. Jinger gets a demerit for the overpowering Gothard-Bible hair,  but it does look as if she washed and brushed it for the photo. Are you listening, Jill? 

• LOL 4
  • Love 8
(edited)
On 5/6/2019 at 10:24 PM, Temperance said:

Since they were in Texas already for Big Sandy, it might be short trip to Laredo. 

Big Sandy is only 316 miles from Tontitown, Arkansas, but it is 492 miles from Big Sandy to Laredo.    I am married to a Texan.   There is an old, true saying---the sun is riz, the sun is set, and here we iz in Texas yet--which applies to people traveling thru the great state of Texas.  

Edited by Twopper
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 12
(edited)

I just want to say that each time I read about a Duggar pregnancy announcement I do a little inside cheer that it isn't Jinger and Jeremy. Aren't most all of them pregnant now?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 9
14 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

I just want to say that each time I read about a Duggar pregnancy announcement I do a little inside cheer that it isn't Jinger and Jeremy. Aren't most all of them pregnant now?

Anna, Jessa, Joy, Kendra and Lauren are. And as far as we know, Jinger, Jill and Abbie aren't. 

• Love 4