Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

....Heck, she may be able to afford to treat you to a Starbucks without using a gift card. 

or taking 5000 pictures of her kids for instagram!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, queenanne said:

Is it these, by any chance?

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+facts+won't+change+your+mind&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS825US825&oq=the+facts+won't+change+your+mind&aqs=chrome..69i57.4087j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

That is super fascinating.  I think I may have mentioned my aunt, who never wanted to allow a drummer or classical guitarist into their congregation, and certainly was not mollified any when at one point, the drummer actually "closed his eyes in ecstasy - like Pete Best!"  I wanted to say "So, it's okay for someone to play the drums in church... they just have to look like they're miserable?"  but that wouldn't have worked, because she never thought it was OK for drums to be played in church in the first place...

As for "hiding" short skirts under a choir robe, doesn't the choir robe then, de facto, become the skirt?  (I have some experience with this, as I was so broke in college that when I went up to get my degree, the waistband on my stockings [we wore stockings then] had actually broken, and I didn't have the money or time to buy a new pair.  You can probably imagine that I was very glad I was in fact wearing a graduation gown.) Things that make you go "hmmmmm..."

Also, I would have loathed skipping over a printed bulletin, because I'm nobody's fool and would have seen this as a simple attempt to tie people to the pews for unknown amounts of time (like many people, I might not care if my church service was 1, 1.5, or 2 hours long; but I care very much that I know which one of those it is when I sit down).

Yes, the choir robe would have kept the choir member covered, thus, obeying the scripture supporting modesty.  But, honestly, some of these people (Which consisted of men. The men made the decisions.) never really thought things through. A child had more insight than they did. They would BRAG on being ignorant!  Even as a child I was mortified by their shameless, illogical propaganda.  Their rules were so subjective.  Like you couldn't go to a restaurant that served alcohol, but, you could shop at grocery stores that did. Hmmmm...  You couldn't attend a Halloween party, but, a FALL festival that was the same thing was okay.  Hmmm... The church couldn't sell baked goods to raise money for the church, but, the Ladies Sunday School clase could. Hmm.....Most of these men who made up these rules heard the rules from some other older men and took them a gospel.  They never really thought about the reasons or if it made any sense.  (I will say that many of them shared rules and policy of Bob Jones University, though, and there were educated people at that institution.  So, I'm not sure what their excuse was.)

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, Madtown said:

Jessa does the same shit. I'm sure Jilly has too.

Yes, they are all dumb hillbillies.

22 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

The purpose is to get more replies. It is annoying.

No excuse for the random apostrophe in “mom’s” though.

22 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Wow Felicity really has beautiful hair coming in.  I can see why they keep putting caps and bows on her.  She does look like a boy without them.

No one thinks a child named Felicity is a boy. And if they did, so what?

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

No one thinks a child named Felicity is a boy. And if they did, so what?

Umm, we're talking about the Duggars here - Gender is a BIG deal.  They wouldn't want anyone thinking their precious blessing was a boy!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

You know, I don't think most parents concern themselves with whether people think their little boys are girls. I've seen some VERY adorable little boys lately, that had long hair, average toddler clothes, and I said what a beautiful little girl or how old is she, only to be told it's a boy.....not a biggie. They just smiled.  It seemed like they get it a lot. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

Wow Felicity really has beautiful hair coming in.  I can see why they keep putting caps and bows on her.  She does look like a boy without them.

She looks like a typical 9 month old baby to me.  At that age, the vast majority of infants have the same hairstyle she does in that photo.  Most kids her age cannot be categorized as boy or girl from the neck up.  Kate and William posted photos of their baby, Louis, this week for his first birthday and, from the neck up, his gender isn't obvious either.  While she is wearing the dreaded pants in the photo, Felicity's top makes it pretty clear she's a female type kid.  That probably isn't enough for Ma and Pa Duggar, but I think she looks way cuter without all the crapola on her head.

In her post, Jinjer indicates she couldn't get Felicity to hold still long enough to get the dopey 9 month photo.  I personally hope that the reason she doesn't have any headwear on in the other photo is because she snatched it off her own head and flung it across the playground.

When I was a kid, our local paper used to run a contest using photos of kids from a local photography studio.  They'd publish photos every week of a dozen or so children from newborn to toddler and the readers would have to guess whether they were boys or girls.  The prize was something like $100.  If nobody got them all right, the money was added to the next week's pot.  There were plenty of weeks where not  single reader got them all correct.

Edited by doodlebug
  • LOL 3
  • Love 14
4 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

You know, I don't think most parents concern themselves with whether people think their little boys are girls. I've seen some VERY adorable little boys lately, that had long hair, average toddler clothes, and I said what a beautiful little girl or how old is she, only to be told it's a boy.....not a biggie. They just smiled.  It seemed like they get it a lot. 

I will have to respectfully disagree here. I think that a LOT of people completely FREAK OUT if people call their baby boy "she" or their little princess "he." There's a reason why there is such a thing as a baby headband industry, and baby earrings, etc. Jinger is not the only person putting a headband on her little girl.

• Love 11

That photo of FeliciTee looks completely staged. She is trying too hard to relate to other moms. I'm sure every mother in existence has dealt with a fussy/active baby. Why ask such a dumb question?

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, Lunera said:

That photo of FeliciTee looks completely staged. She is trying too hard to relate to other moms. I'm sure every mother in existence has dealt with a fussy/active baby. Why ask such a dumb question?

Well, if they're gonna make any companies believe they're influencers who should be paid to sell any stuff on line -- and it seems pretty clear that they do want to do that -- they have to show that their readers are "engaged" with them frequently...

And I expect that's much easier said than done. She's trying with that question, I expect.

But really, if you're mainly setting out to engage strangers just for the purpose of getting engagement rather than trying to actually communicate something you care about to specific readers you have some connection to, I expect you almost always come across sounding pretty lame, don't you think? 

I mean, that's not even an attempt at actual communication. And you certainly aren't interested in your audience. So you basically end up with a dumb, phony-sounding advertisement.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 15
34 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I will have to respectfully disagree here. I think that a LOT of people completely FREAK OUT if people call their baby boy "she" or their little princess "he." There's a reason why there is such a thing as a baby headband industry, and baby earrings, etc. Jinger is not the only person putting a headband on her little girl.

In my experience I think people are more worried about the latter, which does explain the headbands, because most rational people I think understand that all babies look alike in some way.  I have always unofficially suspected they find it less insulting to have someone think your baby boy is so strikingly attractive that people think he's a girl, because at least that has a veneer of compliment to it.

• Love 2

Yeah a less inept way to phrase that question for engagement would have been asking for funny kid photo stories or for tips on getting kids to sit still. And then act engaged and enthusiastic when you interact with the commenters. 

This isn't rocket science, Duggars. 😂

• Love 12

She's just asking the question to elicit responses. She has no intention of actually engaging her fanbase. At least with Jessa, you get deleted, blocked, or at the very least clapped back.

• LOL 11
  • Love 9
On 4/23/2019 at 10:53 AM, Lunera said:

How long until Jinger starts dressing like Cade's fiance? She seems more like JereMe's type than Jingle.

Screenshot_20190423-104906_Instagram.thumb.jpg.4b45c0c0fb01d8072be814e847f146c6.jpgScreenshot_20190423-105138_Instagram-567x755.jpg.e14c03818ac0eb8766b6a07e7e032531.jpg

Well she looks completely ridiculous 

On 4/23/2019 at 4:21 AM, JoanArc said:

Participation Trophy Wife

michelle-duggar-hair.png?resize=981,733

😵 

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
52 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yeah a less inept way to phrase that question for engagement would have been asking for funny kid photo stories or for tips on getting kids to sit still. And then act engaged and enthusiastic when you interact with the commenters. 

This isn't rocket science, Duggars. 😂

Well, it may be for Duggars, don't you think? 

They talk and write to each other in the most stilted, phony way possible.

And they don't seem to have many actual friendships in which they'd practice communication that would be less stilted and phony, I don't think. I mean, it's not like they chat with colleagues at the water cooler or that there are any venues where they generally say or write stuff they actually mean! 

If she's being true to her Duggarness -- and I think  she generally is -- I don't believe Jingle would have the slightest interest in reading about anybody else's funny kid photo stories or -- least of all -- hearing tips of any kind! After all, she's learned everything there is to know about childraising from the world's best mother, Meeechelle!

So it would never occur to her to say those things because she doesn't care. Trying to engage was just utterly pro forma -- something she was doing for absolutely no other reason than to get engagement so she can sell stuff. Period.

She wasn't thinking that there are people out there that she might actually be communicating with because they're basically hermits who lie. So normal questions and conversation don't come naturally at all. And she has so little practice in socializing that she couldn't even invent anything to say that would sound real.

I see them as having been utterly isolated in the TTH mob. And also discouraged by so much -- including the tv cameras -- from saying anything honest and just natural. It's mostly all a prepared speech. Something rote. 

And the more I see of Jer, I'm not sure he's going to do as much as anybody hopes to move Jingle out of that. He has some good effect, obviously, just by taking her away.  But the writing and talking we see from him is as phony and impersonal as what we've seen from the Duggars. I'm sure there must be people he talks to in a more normal way.  But all I ever see from him is stiff show-offy stuff written online. And, when  he's talking, he's preaching -- in a very preachy fashion. And just all canned statements. Just like a Duggar. 

I don't see any reaching out for connection with any of these people. .... And certainly not to their "followers." In fact, I'm pretty sure they want to stay as far away from the followers as possible. The followers are merely a means to an end. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13
3 hours ago, Lunera said:

She's trying to build an fanbase and audience, not connect with any particular people. Part of being an appealing reality television star is being as bland and relatable as possible. Jinger's "any moms out there relate?" question is the kind of question any blogger, reality star, social media influencer, etc. would ask to build a fan base (Christian or not). The idea is to let the audience project their own ideas about who you are so you feed them bland information about yourself that's not offensive and a little relatable. 

The Kardashians are masters of this.  This is from the infamous Paper article about Kim Kardashian West published in 2014.

"The rap on Kim Kardashian is that she has done nothing to merit her fame. But the longer I steep myself in the ambience of her pleasantly languid manner and hologram-perfect looks, the more facile this charge begins to seem. Of course, she has cannily leveraged that fame to build, with her sisters, a beauty-industrial complex, which includes a clothing line, a makeup line, a line of tanning products and seven perfumes. (A collection of hair care implements and styling products will debut in the spring). Her mobile app, Kim Kardashian: Hollywood, in which players climb their way to A-List status under Kardashian's tutelage, has earned over $43 million since its debut in June (2014).

Yet her perceived lack of accomplishment is also, perhaps, an accomplishment in itself. Kardashian seems to know instinctively that, as Andy Warhol once observed, "When you just see somebody on the street, they can really have an aura. But then when they open their mouth, there goes the aura." Take the stream of small faux-confidences that she offers during the interview. They reveal very little yet foster a sense of closeness. She tells me that she is "obsessed with apps" but, when I ask her to name one, she replies, "I like all different apps." Of her 72-day marriage to Kris Humphries, one of her rare missteps that actually left a footprint, she says: "It's just one of those life lessons that you have to learn, and it's OK." Her behavior suggests that the key to total ubiquity is giving up all of one's verbal edges and sharp angles ....."

When the Duggars first hit television, the point of the celebrity was to show the rest of us how really Godly people lived and how we too could give up our worldy temptations/point of view and become more like them. Then they started to ease up on that stuff in front of television while Michelle made robo calls about transgender people and Joshgate happened. Since the show came back after Josh, the Duggars have been trying harder and harder to be the bland, relatable, appealing, ordinary, etc. They went from being "more Godly" to a family who just does things "differently". 

Edited by Temperance
  • Useful 2
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Like Spurgie and Henry.

• LOL 1
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, it may be for Duggars, don't you think? 

They talk and write to each other in the most stilted, phony way possible.

And they don't seem to have many actual friendships in which they'd practice communication that would be less stilted and phony, I don't think. I mean, it's not like they chat with colleagues at the water cooler or that there are any venues where they generally say or write stuff they actually mean! 

If she's being true to her Duggarness -- and I think  she generally is -- I don't believe Jingle would have the slightest interest in reading about anybody else's funny kid photo stories or -- least of all -- hearing tips of any kind! After all, she's learned everything there is to know about childraising from the world's best mother, Meeechelle!

So it would never occur to her to say those things because she doesn't care. Trying to engage was just utterly pro forma -- something she was doing for absolutely no other reason than to get engagement so she can sell stuff. Period.

She wasn't thinking that there are people out there that she might actually be communicating with because they're basically hermits who lie. So normal questions and conversation don't come naturally at all. And she has so little practice in socializing that she couldn't even invent anything to say that would sound real.

I see them as having been utterly isolated in the TTH mob. And also discouraged by so much -- including the tv cameras -- from saying anything honest and just natural. It's mostly all a prepared speech. Something rote. 

And the more I see of Jer, I'm not sure he's going to do as much as anybody hopes to move Jingle out of that. He has some good effect, obviously, just by taking her away.  But the writing and talking we see from him is as phony and impersonal as what we've seen from the Duggars. I'm sure there must be people he talks to in a more normal way.  But all I ever see from him is stiff show-offy stuff written online. And, when  he's talking, he's preaching -- in a very preachy fashion. And just all canned statements. Just like a Duggar. 

I don't see any reaching out for connection with any of these people. .... And certainly not to their "followers." In fact, I'm pretty sure they want to stay as far away from the followers as possible. The followers are merely a means to an end. 

Yeah it dawned on me after I posted that the inherent self-centered-ness of the Duggars makes it impossible for them to really engage with people. If you think your way of life is the greatest and best thing ever and everyone else is a godless heathen, you pretty much have no incentive to want to try to learn or engage. Indeed, doing so is a potential threat to your status as special. 

I think what I find so perplexing about them is the complete inability to even pretend. I think anyone who has ever worked any job where they wait on people learns to pretend to be interested in idle chit-chat. From years of working in a public library, I have mastered the art of sounding intrigued while neither affirming or disagreeing with the numerous conspiracy theories I am presented on a daily basis. LOL 

I guess what it makes me think of is how people ask how you are doing but never really want to know the truth. I feel like the Duggars are the type of folks who won't even ask on a superficial level how you are doing because they really don't give a shit. But they for sure want you to know how they're doing. Because they're special!

• Love 17
5 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Like Spurgie and Henry.

My older son used to be mistaken for a girl all the time. He was a very pretty baby with huge eyes, long eyelashes, curly hair (though it never used to be particularly long) and chubby, rosy cheeks. My daughter, on the other hand, used to be taken for a boy quite frequently. She was more of a stringbean of a baby, and more cute than pretty, with a very determined air about her. To be fair, she was often dressed in her brother's hand-me-downs - at least, the more unisex of them. She's never been much of a girly-girl in any case, though.

I never cared if someone made a mistake. They were both babies which did get a lot of compliments, and I always appreciated those even if people got the sex wrong.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, Zella said:

I think anyone who has ever worked any job where they wait on people learns to pretend to be interested in idle chit-chat. From years of working in a public library, I have mastered the art of sounding intrigued while neither affirming or disagreeing with the numerous conspiracy theories I am presented on a daily basis. LOL 

ding ding ding...we have a winner...as a retired hairdresser I could be immersed in you all the while knowing I had 30 minutes to get you done and out...so all the while I am listening "attentively" I am firmly guiding you by your arm to the shampoo bowl...lol....I do think though as you get older....if you have lived with a fabricated personality...its harder to maintain...so now I stick with the truth the whole truth and nothin but the truth...so to speak....

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

I was so bald when I was a baby, that people thought I was a boy continually. My mom said she used to scotch tape a bow to my bald head to show I was a girl.

I'm in the minority here, but I don't think she staged the picture of Felicity, and I thought it was adorable. But I agree with everyone who said the Duggars don't know how to be relatable.  

• Love 9

@Zella, you crack me up. I have mad respect for public library staff, all the more so after I volunteered for a few years in the computer center at our main branch library (where the public can use computers for up to a total of 120 minutes a day). Coolest, smartest, strongest, most empathetic bunch of young people* you can imagine staff that place, they somehow manage to be amazingly pleasant and helpful to a wild range of folks while not tolerating disruptive behavior or disrespectful antics. I swear, those folks ought to be running our country. We could do worse. Hell, we have done worse.

(*I'm old. Everybody under 50 is "young" to me but most of these folks were 20's - 30's.)

About the Duggars. Their evangelical faith imposes on them a duty to interact with people in order to save their souls for the correct Jesus. Hence the missioncations etc. But I agree with the comments above: the Duggars don't bring the empathy to that job. They are smug separatist jerkwads, secure in their superiority to pretty much everyone else, especially those outside their magic circle of like-minded fundies/Gothardites/super-breeders. I think that some of them, especially Michelle, can turn on some charm in certain situations. 

I think Jinger has pretty well absorbed the "we're better than the folks out there that we don't hang out with" attitude that the Duggar parents have pounded into their kids. Growing up with with all that Gothard talk, purity lectures, everybody having to have an "accountability partner" at all times when off the compound, never a moment alone, sleeping in a dormitory with siblings a decade younger, no room of your own? Plus the TV cameras and crews around? You aren't coming out of that with a pleasant open attitude toward people you meet randomly in your daily life. 

She and Jeremee are slicker by far than the rest of the Duggars in their social media use. She probably doesn't give a crap about what any of her followers think, she's using the same language that millions of people use on SM to engage followers, and her kid is stinking cute. Jinger's one of the more palatable Duggars IMO. But, a Duggar. Someone who surely believes that I'm going to hell but hopes I click and like her SM posts and boost her bottom line.

• Love 18

Adorable kid and she's definitely getting more active. 

I don't remember Jing previously doing the "Any moms out there......" type question.  Definitely not the way Jill & Jessa do constantly, so I give her a pass.  

Sure Jing loves to dress Lissie up & show her off.   But they have other methods that don't use their child as much as Jill & Jessa use theirs to monitize their social media.  

• Love 7
2 hours ago, beckie said:

I was so bald when I was a baby, that people thought I was a boy continually. My mom said she used to scotch tape a bow to my bald head to show I was a girl.

This is Mommy Rabbittron are we related? My  did not have one piece of the hair until I was 2 1/2 years old and my mom also taped bows on my head.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, beckie said:

I'm in the minority here, but I don't think she staged the picture of Felicity, and I thought it was adorable. But I agree with everyone who said the Duggars don't know how to be relatable.  

I was also a bald baby & what hair I did have was platinum blonde.  My mom said she made sure I wore a dress when she took me out in public so people could tell I was a girl.  You would think it wasn't a big deal to my mom as this was the early 60's & I am the third child but it evidently was. I think I may have worn a taped on bow as well. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

This is Mommy Rabbittron are we related? My  did not have one piece of the hair until I was 2 1/2 years old and my mom also taped bows on my head.

There's no telling. We could be! Lol I didn't have hair until I was way past three. They have a picture of me with my first curl, holding a Raggedy Ann doll as tall as me with one arm, and cookies in the other hand. 

Edited by beckie
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

@Zella, you crack me up. I have mad respect for public library staff, all the more so after I volunteered for a few years in the computer center at our main branch library (where the public can use computers for up to a total of 120 minutes a day). Coolest, smartest, strongest, most empathetic bunch of young people* you can imagine staff that place, they somehow manage to be amazingly pleasant and helpful to a wild range of folks while not tolerating disruptive behavior or disrespectful antics. I swear, those folks ought to be running our country. We could do worse. Hell, we have done worse.

(*I'm old. Everybody under 50 is "young" to me but most of these folks were 20's - 30's.)

Thank you! I have worked at mine on and off since I graduated from high school. It can be a difficult job at times, but it is so very rewarding, and my coworkers are some of the coolest, kindest, brightest people I know. 

Do the Duggars ever mention going to their local library? At ours, we have a lot of homeschoolers who come for books and programs. It would do the Duggars a world of good, but I imagine they are too suspicious and disinterested to ever give it a try, which is sad. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, Zella said:

Thank you! I have worked at mine on and off since I graduated from high school. It can be a difficult job at times, but it is so very rewarding, and my coworkers are some of the coolest, kindest people I know. 

Do the Duggars ever mention going to their local library? At ours, we have a lot of homeschoolers who come for books and programs. It would do the Duggars a world of good, but I imagine they are too suspicious and disinterested to ever give it a try, which is sad. 

I have been working at a nearby library for 24 years. I worked reference for the most of that time. The questions! And I always loved people wanting me to find articles or information for a academic project that they don't understand and I have no clue what its about. 

We have a lot of home school parents who actively use our collection. We even have a separate HS section with everything you could imagine. Maybe the Duggars don't go very much because they are afraid of being exposed to secular materials? 

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Zella said:

Thank you! I have worked at mine on and off since I graduated from high school. It can be a difficult job at times, but it is so very rewarding, and my coworkers are some of the coolest, kindest, brightest people I know. 

There you go. Your library might contaminate them, they claim. I expect Meeechelle's real truth is a toxic combination of that and sheer laziness, however. 

Luckily for us all, the Duggars aren't typical homeschoolers. ;  )

Lucky for us but unlucky for the Duggarlings. 

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I have been working at a nearby library for 24 years. I worked reference for the most of that time. The questions! And I always loved people wanting me to find articles or information for a academic project that they don't understand and I have no clue what its about. 

We have a lot of home school parents who actively use our collection. We even have a separate HS section with everything you could imagine. Maybe the Duggars don't go very much because they are afraid of being exposed to secular materials? 

I love doing reference work! My library is small, so even though I have never been a full-time staff member or a librarian and technically should have just been working circulation or shelving, I often got to do work like that. It's like a little mystery to solve, and that can be so much fun! 

And yes I suspect you're right about the fear of secular material. Of course, they miss an opportunity to teach the kids to think for themselves and interact with things they disagree with. I am eternally grateful that my dad (who primarily raised me) taught me to never be afraid of ideas.  

1 minute ago, Churchhoney said:

There you go. Your library might contaminate them, they claim. I expect Meeechelle's real truth is a toxic combination of that and sheer laziness, however. 

Oh God you're right--the laziness is just as key as the arrogance! 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

Sadly, I think the Duggars do homeschooling totally by the IBLP book, so to speak. I would be surprised if that system encourages parents to even set foot in a public library, much less incorporate library materials into their curriculum. After all, Gothard taught that certain dolls embody bad spirits or something, didn’t he? All I have read about that group is about being separate from all worldly things, IMO deep fear masked in teachings that being apart in their system is really super special and superior. And of course that children are only safe and properly educated by sticking to, and purchasing, IBLP materials. And isn’t that just such a wonderful benefit to IBLP’s bottom line? 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Zella said:

I love doing reference work! My library is small, so even though I have never been a full-time staff member or a librarian and technically should have just been working circulation or shelving, I often got to do work like that. It's like a little mystery to solve, and that can be so much fun! 

And yes I suspect you're right about the fear of secular material. Of course, they miss an opportunity to teach the kids to think for themselves and interact with things they disagree with. I am eternally grateful that my dad (who primarily raised me) taught me to never be afraid of ideas.  

Oh God you're right--the laziness is just as key as the arrogance! 

I did like the mystery part of it. Or when someone came in looking for something I was really into like Tudor history! 

It is sad if they don't use their library. My best friend home schooled for a while. The curriculum was religious based though not so steeped in the kool aid. They always used their library.  I do interlibrary loan and I have gotten religious based learning material for many patrons. Some of it I was aghast at! 

• Love 3

Edited to add - check out This winking slut. That's some wisdom book education.

Reference

“How did the ‘Socratic method’ of reasoning come from a sodomite manner of living?” “How can graphs help to visualize the consequences of lust?” And “How do prime numbers illustrate the principle of ‘one flesh’ in marriage?”

Edited by JoanArc
  • LOL 3

The bow thing is meh to me. My cousin, who is atheist and definitely not one who’d take issue with someone misgendering her child, recently  had boy/girl twins and has two older boys. That girl has had a different bow every day of her 4 months of life so far. I mean she’s probably dropped several hundred dollars on this so far. Some people just like them. Wouldn’t be my thing but it’s trendy.  I don’t like they current style of centering the bow right right in the middle of the head, I think it looks better off to the side but Jinge and my cousin both seem to do this.  

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I did like the mystery part of it. Or when someone came in looking for something I was really into like Tudor history! 

It is sad if they don't use their library. My best friend home schooled for a while. The curriculum was religious based though not so steeped in the kool aid. They always used their library.  I do interlibrary loan and I have gotten religious based learning material for many patrons. Some of it I was aghast at!

Haha I always feel sorry for the people who end up asking me about stuff I know off the top of my head, like the American civil war or true crime. I always feel like I should warn them they might want to run since we could be there all day!

• LOL 3
16 minutes ago, Zella said:

Haha I always feel sorry for the people who end up asking me about stuff I know off the top of my head, like the American civil war or true crime. I always feel like I should warn them they might want to run since we could be there all day!

I read a lot of horror. One time I had a parent come in who wanted to introduce her son to horror, other than the usual Stephen King. I had a great time with that one! 

• Love 2

I have a few homeschooling moms that come into my small branch library.  I can tell that they are the religious homeschoolers, but they do check out a lot of materials.  The moms take time to select books from our catalog to match their curriculum.  Michelle could have done this, but I suspect that laziness is the root cause of the Duggars not using the library to their advantage.  We have books that would be acceptable to their religious beliefs, but the parent would have to take the time to seek them out.  Our collection is curated for the whole of the community so there are many books that I know would be anathemas to the Duggars so there would be no way that Michelle (or Jill or Jessa) would allow their children to self-select.  I could see Jinger seeking out a more conservative branch in LA where she could take Felicty to library programs with like-minded mothers.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I could see Jinger seeking out a more conservative branch in LA where she could take Felicty to library programs with like-minded mothers.

I haven't seen a "conservative" library branch in California yet.  Maybe in the mountainous or rural areas.  While there are several conservative churches in the Sun Valley area, I expect their branch libraries are all going to be fairly standard and have a normal selection of material.  

• Love 1

Our conservative homeschoolers obviously put some time into screening their choices before they check them out and don't show up for certain programs (used to run one of the kid book clubs, and we just sort of knew some months, a family or two wouldn't show up, even though it was an innocuous book). But they seem to accept that there will be material there that they disapprove of and that the books that are available will almost always be secular in outlook, unless they're rooting around in Christian fiction or certain nonfiction sections. 

I know some of them are pretty uptight, but I get the impression they're less crazed about it than the Duggars probably are. 

• Love 5

The Duggars are horrible at social media because they are sheltered, socially inept and undereducated. 

They seem too dull to actually get anything out of interactions with people because they  do not understand other grown adults and how most people live ( go to school get a job, become independent ect)

Add that into their cult beliefs...failure all around. They don't care to branch out, and are too stupid to see the benefit in doing so. I don't even think the adult Duggars understand that to get through to people ( in order to convert them as that is their goal) it is a good idea to truly relate to them and find a common connection. They throw the " can anybody relate" out there without knowing WHY they should be relating to the heathens on SM. Just parroting lines. 

Its actually quite interesting seeing how badly they are failing as adults. I can't wait to see the instagrams of the howlers and lost girls 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Add ignorance to the list of Michele’s “attributes”. Lazy, arrogant, fearful and ignorant.

My granddaughter wrote one of her college admission essays on how the library influenced her during the time before her parents divorce when she was 12. The household was tumultuous most of the time.

Every day after school she would go to the library for hours, ( luckily, it was around the corner) and read books that would take her out of herself and transport her to magical places. It was her way of coping with a difficult situation.

That essay was a difficult read.

These poor stunted Duggars probably have never stepped inside a library. Sad, but they probably don’t even know what they’re missing.

• Love 16
20 hours ago, Lunera said:

I agree that it's a staged picture.  If Felicity had messed up the letters, more than just one letter would be missing and others would be strewn about.  And come on, we ALL know that babies are active and difficult to photograph. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

I haven't seen a "conservative" library branch in California yet.  Maybe in the mountainous or rural areas.  While there are several conservative churches in the Sun Valley area, I expect their branch libraries are all going to be fairly standard and have a normal selection of material.  

In my experience, a branch takes on the tone of the community. I'm sure there are a few branch libraries in the LA area where the community is white, upper-middle class and apolitical.  These branches would have more controversial picture books in their collection, but they are never used for any display or storytime.  These library programs would be filled with other white SAHMs where Jinger and Felicity would feel at home.  I don't get the impression that Jinger and Jeremy are as adverse to meeting new people as the rest of the Duggar clan.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6