Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Five minutes in church history? I’m guessing they don’t cover the Catholic Church at all? 

Well, based on the fact that he's interviewing Jeremy -- and I'd note that he interviewed MacArthur a few weeks ago, so I wonder where he got the idea to interview Jer??? -- the guy's clearly a conservative Protestant, so it's  mostly about people in that tradition.

But he goes way back in history, so there are Catholics in it in the days before there were Protestants. There's an episode on St. Columba, for example.

ETA: The fact that this guy put a first-year seminarian whose undergrad degree is in business on his show is kinda mind-blowing. Especially since the podcast seems to include interviews only very seldom. If nothing else, Jer's proven that being a world-class suck-up can be a real game-changer for a person.    ;  )

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
On 4/18/2019 at 1:31 PM, Churchhoney said:

I listened to enough of the Roloff podcast the other day to hear some of what Jingle said.

She talked in this sort of starry-eyed, vague kind of rambly, somewhat ecstatic way about Jesus and her marriage and so on. It reminded me of the way some friends of mine talked after they fell into super-Jesus-y or Buddhist-y or TM-y cults back in the 70s. Kind of stoned, almost. Woo woo. Everything is wonderful. So wonderful....

Her writing here kind sounds a lot like her talking there, to me, anyway. 

I haven't heard Jingle talk enough or seen her write enough, ever, to know what that means, though. Whether it's just one of the ways she normally talks and writes or what. I do know that that "rebel" eye-rolling Jingle that I've heard about is nowhere to be found in the podcast or here.....

I don't find her very convincing in this mode, although when she was talking on the podcast I got the impression that she either believes the argle-bargle that was flowing from her or she at least very much prefers to believe it. 

I just finished listening to the podcast.  Jeremy V sure loves the sound of his own voice!  And Jeremy R constantly interrupted Audrey.  Jinger is so steeped in Gothard Speak that I truly believe she doesn't know any other way of speaking.

With these people, does every utterance really need to be all about god?  I've known some truly religious people and they never talk jesus 24/7!;

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, louannems said:

I just finished listening to the podcast.  Jeremy V sure loves the sound of his own voice!  And Jeremy R constantly interrupted Audrey.  Jinger is so steeped in Gothard Speak that I truly believe she doesn't know any other way of speaking.

With these people, does every utterance really need to be all about god?  I've known some truly religious people and they never talk jesus 24/7!;

Exactly.  

And I don't really know what it means when you do that. It isn't at all the way the most religious people I've known have behaved either. So what is it? I idon't get the motivation. And do they talk this way at home or is it just something you do for guests?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
56 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Exactly.  

And I don't really know what it means when you do that. It isn't at all the way the most religious people I've known have behaved either. So what is it? I idon't get the motivation. And do they talk this way at home or is it just something you do for guests?

Its probably the same thing with wealthy people. People with serious money never talk about it. Money talks, wealth whispers.

All just showboating. 

• Love 16
20 minutes ago, yogi2014L said:

Its probably the same thing with wealthy people. People with serious money never talk about it. Money talks, wealth whispers.

All just showboating. 

Good point.  Maybe that's why Jingle sounds sort of drugged when she does it. The showboating gives them a rush. 

• Love 3

I also think that Jinger needs to quit constantly putting those silly winter hats on that baby or she will inhibit the growth of her hair. Isn't that one of the 'Godly signs' of being a woman?...to have long hair? Jinger seems to want to stunt it's growth on Felicitttttteeeeeee.

• Love 7
On 4/17/2019 at 1:21 PM, Lunera said:

Not a fan of Jinger's outfit but Kendra looks cute. Joe looks like a complete mess.

Jinger looks like she had the obligatory boob job in preparation for LA. Or she’s newly pregnant. 

Or she just happens to be wearing her own bra, that fits, and didn't have to contain a minimum of 3 other sets of boobs before it got passed down to her.  😉

I think Jill still wears all of those....

• LOL 5
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think Jeremy's all about having the hot, Christian trophy wife. He'd let Jinger get a boob job in a heartbeat, if she wanted one.

michelle-duggar-image.jpg.7e5347ba23a3e5dd60327eae0a13305f.jpgExample of hot Christian trophy wife?

• LOL 12
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Mojitogirl said:

Jinger looks like she had the obligatory boob job in preparation for LA. Or she’s newly pregnant. 

I think she’ll go blonde sooner than later. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Geez, what did little Joy do that she had to have her hands held by both parents rather than walk with the rest of the group? Or did JB&M realize they'd look more relateable if they looked like they actually took some part in their child rearing? (Also, did some of the older boys manage to make a brief escape?)

• Love 3
11 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I think Jeremy's all about having the hot, Christian trophy wife. He'd let Jinger get a boob job in a heartbeat, if she wanted one.

Jugs for Jesus? Or Jeremy?

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Barb23 said:

Jugs for Jesus? Or Jeremy?

Glad I did not spit out my bite of Chocolate Delight Special K Cereal onto my keyboard. Knowing Jermeme, he would convince Jinger the boob job would benefit her more than it would benefit him. Right...

3 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Geez, what did little Joy do that she had to have her hands held by both parents rather than walk with the rest of the group? Or did JB&M realize they'd look more relateable if they looked like they actually took some part in their child rearing? (Also, did some of the older boys manage to make a brief escape?)

I expect it's this one. 

This isn't a picture of people who are just walking along, not trying to make an impression. It's a Jim-Bob-for-high-office! media moment. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

How long until Jinger starts dressing like Cade's fiance? She seems more like JereMe's type than Jingle.

Screenshot_20190423-104906_Instagram.thumb.jpg.4b45c0c0fb01d8072be814e847f146c6.jpgScreenshot_20190423-105138_Instagram-567x755.jpg.e14c03818ac0eb8766b6a07e7e032531.jpg

I am here for this scandal!!!!! 

If anything, I hope Cades fiance is a good influence on Jinger to become less brainwashed...

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Lunera said:

How long until Jinger starts dressing like Cade's fiance? She seems more like JereMe's type than Jingle.

Screenshot_20190423-104906_Instagram.thumb.jpg.4b45c0c0fb01d8072be814e847f146c6.jpgScreenshot_20190423-105138_Instagram-567x755.jpg.e14c03818ac0eb8766b6a07e7e032531.jpg

O-o-o-o-kay....

Cade's an aspiring Calvinist pastor who (apparently) idolizes guys like MacArthur and John Piper.....

So......what would Susie Spurgeon say about this display? 

Color me puzzled. 

I wonder if Jer and Jingle will present her with a WWSSS bracelet.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 3
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, Lunera said:

Duck Lips for Jesus? The face - and body - of Calvinism for the 21st Century? Think Jinger has to wipe Jeremy’s sweaty fingerprints off that iPhone when he hands it back after checking his IG feed? 🤣

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, BrianJ1962 said:

michelle-duggar-image.jpg.7e5347ba23a3e5dd60327eae0a13305f.jpgExample of hot Christian trophy wife?

45 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

She looks crazier than a shithouse rat in that pic. 🤪

Well, it looks like she’s got a 🐀 rat’s nest right there on her head, so . . . 

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
On 4/16/2019 at 10:17 AM, Churchhoney said:

(I started thinking about it originally about 15 years ago, actually, when I was doing a lot of stuff related to political polarization and I started seeing some neuroscience types talking about this. And, as I mentioned -- political scientists I talked to hated the idea! They want to think that discussions of governing principles have a shot at changing people's minds! )

Is it these, by any chance?

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+facts+won't+change+your+mind&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS825US825&oq=the+facts+won't+change+your+mind&aqs=chrome..69i57.4087j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

On 4/17/2019 at 12:44 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh my.  Well, for one thing his church members wore choir robes.  And, the fundie church we attended, (under protest, my parents insisted) felt that a woman should have her skirt to a certain length and that a choir robe would allow her to circumvent that requirement. So, she could be wearing a short skirt and hiding it with a choir robe.  As true Christians, you had to put your long skirt on display.  I'm mot kidding. Grown people said this kind of stuff.

And, the church service pamphlets that give the order of the service, hymn pages, etc. were not right. They thought that was putting a restriction on the holy spirit.  That in order to allow the holy spirit free reign, you had to have it open so there was no set way to pray, sing, read scripture, etc.  I never could figure out how the holy spirit could be controlled by a piece of paper, but, they seemed very concerned about that. lol 

And, then there was Rev. Falwell being so involved with tv. They thought tv was sinful and having contact with it, even for services was dangerous and playing with the devil.   They didn't like it when he fellowshipped with liberals, like Billy Graham.  Bill Graham was very sinful and dangerous to the true Christian (fundie) church. (One reason is that Graham did not condemn Catholics, who were very ungodly and bound for hell.) Falwell senior admired Graham and that did not set well with hardline fundies.

And, they thought only Bible teaching was important.  Secular education was dangerous and unnecessary.  Falwell's dream was to expand the Bible College to a university.   And, I could go on.  Some of these hardliners have changed, but, some have not.  My parents church has come a long way in the last 20 years, but, still disturbs me to the point that I can't attend it.  Sort of like PTSD. 

https://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2018/february/he-had-only-one-thing-on-his-mind-jerry-falwell-jr-reflects-on-billy-grahams-passion-for-preaching

Oh, another one.  They disapproved on his church's music. It was too contemporary.  The choir put out a Christmas album with the choir set up in the shape of a Christmas tree.  Christmas trees were taboo at that time.  It was highly controversial and my parents church, once again, thought that Falwell was going way too liberal.  lol 

That is super fascinating.  I think I may have mentioned my aunt, who never wanted to allow a drummer or classical guitarist into their congregation, and certainly was not mollified any when at one point, the drummer actually "closed his eyes in ecstasy - like Pete Best!"  I wanted to say "So, it's okay for someone to play the drums in church... they just have to look like they're miserable?"  but that wouldn't have worked, because she never thought it was OK for drums to be played in church in the first place...

As for "hiding" short skirts under a choir robe, doesn't the choir robe then, de facto, become the skirt?  (I have some experience with this, as I was so broke in college that when I went up to get my degree, the waistband on my stockings [we wore stockings then] had actually broken, and I didn't have the money or time to buy a new pair.  You can probably imagine that I was very glad I was in fact wearing a graduation gown.) Things that make you go "hmmmmm..."

Also, I would have loathed skipping over a printed bulletin, because I'm nobody's fool and would have seen this as a simple attempt to tie people to the pews for unknown amounts of time (like many people, I might not care if my church service was 1, 1.5, or 2 hours long; but I care very much that I know which one of those it is when I sit down).

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Soon she'll seem just like Jingle's duck-lipped sister. 

Look out, Jessa. You have a serious rival for BFF.

I'd choose Ducklips McPidgeontoe of Jessa as a BFF. Sure, Duckie is a suck-up hanger-on, but at least she won't mean girl you like Jessa. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

I'd choose Ducklips McPidgeontoe of Jessa as a BFF. Sure, Duckie is a suck-up hanger-on, but at least she won't mean girl you like Jessa. 

Plus, she can probably score you tickets to some good country music shows, if you're into that sort of thing. I think she's opened for a few big names when they were touring in her area ... 

....Heck, she may be able to afford to treat you to a Starbucks without using a gift card. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1