Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

29 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Well, clearly I am in a mood because she looks all Shirley Temple headshot to me: too much fake cute.

And while I’m at it, tell me there’s a grownup hovering just out of camera range to catch her when she face plants off that thing. Isn’t she too young to be sitting up there solo?

Jingle's managed to levitate behind the sheep, I think. You can see a bit of her hand on Felicity's back. 

I must say I'm impressed with the levitation.  ;  )

• LOL 16
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Lunera said:

I guess they were shopping for outfits for this weekend. Screenshot_20190405-170611_Instagram.thumb.jpg.5c117ecf93960b140617b1785308069c.jpg

Why do I feel bad for those people want to listen to him. I personally would rather watch the grass grow, and I have bad grass allergies.

12 minutes ago, Lunera said:

I guess they were shopping for outfits for this weekend. Screenshot_20190405-170611_Instagram.thumb.jpg.5c117ecf93960b140617b1785308069c.jpg

Jinger just posted about this in her IG stories. They are now relationship and parenting experts. And as an afterthought, Jer will apparently talk about the move to LA. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
(edited)
46 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Why do I feel bad for those people want to listen to him. I personally would rather watch the grass grow, and I have bad grass allergies.

I agree.  In my 59 years on earth, I’ve heard countless preachers, but Jeremy is, hands down, the worst.  It kind of pains me to admit that, because I don’t dislike Jeremy, and for Jinger’s sake I’d like to see him succeed, but somebody needs to sit the man down and tell him that he needs to find a different career path.

Edited by farmgal4
  • Love 9
42 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jinger just posted about this in her IG stories. They are now relationship and parenting experts. And as an afterthought, Jer will apparently talk about the move to LA. 

Is this the sort of event at which “love offerings” will be encouraged? As soon as Jer said they’d talk about their move to LA, that’s what I figured is going on 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I don't see anything about their claims to be relationship or parenting experts, either on her page or on the Grace Austin page.  

I agree they both look happy and relaxed.  And I think the co-stripes are cute, as they aren't exact matches.  My husband & I would sometimes coordinate parts of our outfits.  Couples do that sometimes.  

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Well, clearly I am in a mood because she looks all Shirley Temple headshot to me: too much fake cute.

And while I’m at it, tell me there’s a grownup hovering just out of camera range to catch her when she face plants off that thing. Isn’t she too young to be sitting up there solo?

I have a daughter a couple weeks older than Felicity. YES!!! That was the first thing I noticed. I'd be right next to her, and would keep a hand on my kiddo. They don't understand "lift hands=fall" and that llama looks pretty high off the ground. 

Did the photo ship Jinger out of it? This picture doesn't make sense to me , lol.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jinger has had ONE short relationship in her life, ever. How does that make her an “expert?” 

• LOL 4
  • Love 13
6 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Jinger has had ONE short relationship in her life, ever. How does that make her an “expert?” 

She's a Duggar! They can become experts just by being adjacent to actual experts.

• Love 14
34 minutes ago, leighdear said:

I don't see anything about their claims to be relationship or parenting experts, either on her page or on the Grace Austin page.  

I agree they both look happy and relaxed.  And I think the co-stripes are cute, as they aren't exact matches.  My husband & I would sometimes coordinate parts of our outfits.  Couples do that sometimes.  

It's in her instastory not her main IG.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, leighdear said:

In Jing and Jer's current Instagram Story, they're in a car, driving to Austin. Jer says they'll be doing a "little Q&A" tomorrow, at a luncheon, talking about their marriage, parenting, their ministry, and their upcoming move to LA

• Useful 3
1 minute ago, OpieTaylor said:

In Jing and Jer's current Instagram Story, they're in a car, driving to Austin. Jer says they'll be doing a "little Q&A" tomorrow, at a luncheon, talking about their marriage, parenting, their ministry, and their upcoming move to LA

IMO talking about your marriage and your parenting isn’t quite the same as saying you are an expert. Unless that’s what they described it as.  Jer and Auj/ JB and  Michelle actually claim to be experts.  

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

If they hadn’t said, and instead someone from the church said, I would have taken it as some subtle snark. I mean, really, what do they have to talk about? There is nothing else to their pathetic one dimensional lives. If only they had added they were taking questions on what books to read. 

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I think she looks great as well. Marriage and motherhood has matured her in a flattering way.

Jinger does look great.  She also seems happy. She is living the life that I envisioned for Princess Erin Bates and the "hot" Duggar girl. 

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Lunera said:

MacArthur will be looking to see what kind of attendance bump you might get out of the TeeVee peeps. Whether they can entice any newbies to show up, etc. So he can figure out if he should deploy them when they arrive in California. 

Calvinists hoping Jer, Jingle and Felicity will prove to be Calvinist bait. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
27 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

What "ministry?"

• Love 16
21 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

IMO talking about your marriage and your parenting isn’t quite the same as saying you are an expert. Unless that’s what they described it as.  Jer and Auj/ JB and  Michelle actually claim to be experts.  

I was snarking. Remember when Vanessa went out on tour as relationship experts whilst Jessa was still cooking Spurge? IOW, what advice do they have to offer someone like me who's been married 25 years? 

I guess MacArthur's target audience is young marrieds, since church attendance in the hipster generation is dwindling.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

What "ministry?"

That’s what I was wondering. Traveling for free and buying clothes?  

And of course the church draws ‘em in by mentioning they’re TV stars. 

• Love 11

I've never heard Jeremy preach. I've heard maybe 5 minutes here and there of mega preachers preaching when scrolling through TV channels. And although I'm not Catholic, I've attended countless sermons. I've also sat through dozens of mainstream Protestant sermons.

Maybe it's me, but not one time did I sit through a service and think, "I can't wait to come back next week".

Are there truly all these dynamic preachers out there?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

To me, a ministry should provide something other than talk. I don’t belong to the church, but I help out at their food pantry ministry here. Categorize food, check dates, load boxes, stuff like that. That to me, is a ministry. There are no fear of God speeches, tracts, or anything like that as people come in. 

• Love 24

I just looked on the Grace Austin website and saw this first thing:  "Grace Community Bible Church is focused on the verse-by-verse (expository) teaching of the Bible, stressing both corporate and individual study of Scripture, in order to help each believer mature in the knowledge of God and understanding of the faith (Eph 4:11-16)."    It reminded me of a Bible Study I went to one time where everyone would read a verse and then the minister's wife would tell everyone what SHE thought it meant.   Yeah, never went back.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
(edited)
36 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Does GCBC Austin record and post their "worship hour" online?  I'm very interested in watching/listening to what Jer talks (babbles) about.

I looked at their Twitter and they do audio of some things. Not sure whether they post audio of all sermons or just some. They do have a lot posted.

I listened to about five minutes of one of the head guy's sermons.  I'd call him at least 10 times better than anything I've ever heard from Jer. (the "10 x" is probably an understatement...) His voice has inflections; his inflections seem to match his intent and feelings; he's clearly actually talking to the people in front of him; he doesn't mumble;  his language sounds like a natural combo of the colloquial and the more formal; he uses pretty precise and vivid language; he tries to clearly explain the points he's making and the logic he's using and where he's going with his argument; even though I don't agree with his "you're going to hell" talk he said some things I found interesting and apt; he talks in specifics instead of vague generalities. Not saying he's a great preacher and orator or a compelling writer and thinker, and it's certainly possible that after that first five minutes it all falls apart (doubt it, though, since he sounds quite natural doing what he's doing -- his talk seems to be flowing easily out of his brain; he sounds smart).... So... I'd call him a pretty good preacher......I'm sure we'd all expect a big church in Austin to have a pretty good preacher, of course. 

All told, I've listened to somewhere between 50 and 60 minutes of Jer's talks by now, and I've never heard him do a single one of the things I've just listed.

I have, however, seen him improve over time. He has been working on it, although I'd call his progress minimal and quite slow. Nevertheless, maybe he's improving still. Or maybe, since he's a guest here, and a highly touted one at that, he's worked extra hard on the upcoming sermon and even gotten some coaching.

If he hasn't done that, I expect the congregation won't be impressed, unless they just get blinded by TeeVee fame. And if they do get blinded by it, I guess they won't be the first.

ETA: Here's the page where they seem to put audio of everything they have audio of.    https://www.graceaustin.org/sermons

They also mention a podcast. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

That picture of Felicity in the sheep is kind of creepy. There’s someone behind her because you can see the fingers but I can’t figure out the photoshop.  They are so FAKE! Who photoshops a random, cute, no big deal picture of their kid?

• Love 3
15 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

🤣 🤣🤣🤣Adult Sunday School!”

My husband and I teach an adult Sunday School class, although many churches now call it adult Bible Study class. But in the old days, it was definitely called adult Sunday School.

• Love 8
(edited)
55 minutes ago, ehall1052 said:

My husband and I teach an adult Sunday School class, although many churches now call it adult Bible Study class. But in the old days, it was definitely called adult Sunday School.

I always thought the difference was that "adult Sunday school" took place congruent with "children Sunday school" (i.e. pre-church service); and that if they called it "adult Bible study", it took place on a day other than Sunday; usually and traditionally Wednesday nights.

ETA:  after going back to look at the original post, I would say that Jeremy is using it correctly and in the way it was intended; as the "adult Sunday school" clearly sounds like it is taking place pre-service.

PS:  Felicity's wee skinny legs on her steed just knock me out.

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, queenanne said:

I always thought the difference was that "adult Sunday school" took place congruent with "children Sunday school" (i.e. pre-church service); and that if they called it "adult Bible study", it took place on a day other than Sunday; usually and traditionally Wednesday nights.

ETA:  after going back to look at the original post, I would say that Jeremy is using it correctly and in the way it was intended; as the "adult Sunday school" clearly sounds like it is taking place pre-service.

PS:  Felicity's wee skinny legs on her steed just knock me out.

Yes, our adult Sunday School class takes place at the same time as all other Sunday School classes. We call it adult Bible Study class now because some thought Sunday School sounded too childish. So for us, there is no difference between adult Sunday School and adult Bible Study. But yes, some people do meet at other times for Bible Study.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, ehall1052 said:

Yes, our adult Sunday School class takes place at the same time as all other Sunday School classes. We call it adult Bible Study class now because some thought Sunday School sounded too childish. So for us, there is no difference between adult Sunday School and adult Bible Study. But yes, some people do meet at other times for Bible Study.

Interesting, because I would think that some people could make a good case for "faith like a little child" and that "you're never too old to learn", etc.  Primarily, I just meant to support that "adult Sunday school" is indeed a "thing", and that varying attitudes about the use and nomenclature of such a thing abound :).  I feel like I've also heard ministers make the above arguments, after some poorly worded phrase involving "adult Sunday school" in the church service caused some giggles among the congregation.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Lisa418722 said:

I just looked on the Grace Austin website and saw this first thing:  "Grace Community Bible Church is focused on the verse-by-verse (expository) teaching of the Bible, stressing both corporate and individual study of Scripture, in order to help each believer mature in the knowledge of God and understanding of the faith (Eph 4:11-16)."    It reminded me of a Bible Study I went to one time where everyone would read a verse and then the minister's wife would tell everyone what SHE thought it meant.   Yeah, never went back.

“Both corporate and individual study” - WTF?

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, queenanne said:

Interesting, because I would think that some people could make a good case for "faith like a little child" and that "you're never too old to learn", etc.  Primarily, I just meant to support that "adult Sunday school" is indeed a "thing", and that varying attitudes about the use and nomenclature of such a thing abound :).  I feel like I've also heard ministers make the above arguments, after some poorly worded phrase involving "adult Sunday school" in the church service caused some giggles among the congregation.

Yeah, all true, I think. 

I'm baffled (and kind of disgusted, but that's my mode, I guess) by this apparent adult disdain for something because it's called "school." What the hell's wrong with going to a "school" at any age? What makes a "school" something teehee-ish and beneath people just because the word "Sunday" is in front of it? And, in particular, as you say, in this case where you're supposed to be like a little child to get into the kingdom of heaven? 

I suppose the embarrassed laughing comes thanks to some childlike image they have of "Sunday School." But Sunday school for all was a thing in lots of denominations for many years.

The church I was affiliated with as a kid and have retained some ties with still just calls it "Sunday School" no matter who it's for. And in that church it happens after the early-morning Sunday service and before the late-morning Sunday service. Just like it did millennia ago when I was a kid and a few centuries before that when one of my grandfathers held the then-significant post of "Sunday School Superintendent" there.  Adult -- and kid -- Sunday school classes included study of stuff like church history, religious art and lots of other stuff that doesn't get discussed in an actual service because the service is about worship, not learning per se. They have other Bible studies and so on at other times, too. But the virtue of Sunday School, as I understand it, is that people are already on hand in the building and, presumably, focusing on their faith-- so why not expand from worship to study using the same momentum?

ETA: This church is in the most liberal of the mainline denominations, by the way. The names of these things clearly cross theological and ideological lines. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 11
(edited)
45 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

“Both corporate and individual study” - WTF?

Well, "corporate" here is being used in an old sense that we don't normally use today but it's standard if you read much church history and so on, I think. 

It just means study it verse by verse when we're all together as a group. (and other times study it verse by verse all by your lonesome.)

"Corporate" is used in that sense in a lot of language regarding churches. It just means something shared by all the members of a group. I suppose that use of corporate pretty much comes down straight from Latinate theological language -- that the congregation is the body .... the corpus....and it's one while also not being one. .... The word may have been used in that sense for churches well before it was used that way for businesses, I expect. 

But it's really the same as any use of "corporate." An entity that's single in some sense, even though it encompasses many individuals in another sense. It's just that we're used to hearing it that way only in business. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
(edited)
1 hour ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Nothing gets me more excited to read the Bible than the use of arcane and archaic language. Sign me up! 

Yeah, but for some people -- especially people who consider themselves scholars and/or guardians of it -- the long tradition helps gives it all heft and validity. It's stood the test of time. It's persisted through centuries of questioners and onslaughts. The language in which it's expressed has roots going all the way back to the early days of the faith. It's "time-honored' and "time tested." And so on.

And in this particular case....I  mean, "corpus" is a huge huge word for Christianity. Maybe the biggest word of all. In their religion, God became a human body and was born, suffered, died and was buried as one. And was still God, alive and everlasting. If I were writing stuff for a church I'd both put the idea into more contemporary language and explain my use of and reverence for traditional language ... why "corpus" is a uniquely powerful word and concept here, for example..

But when it comes to anything that you've personally immersed yourself in for years -- no matter whether it's your religion or the traditions of heavy metal -- it often doesn't occur to you that others don't get the same powerful vibe from words and such that you do. That's certainly true of lots of people who head churches. But not just them.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
55 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Nothing gets me more excited to read the Bible than the use of arcane and archaic language. Sign me up! 

It appears to me that the people who describe their bible study using archaic and arcane words are people like the Duggars. Very fundamentalist.  The minute I read words like these, I know I need to just walk on by.  I particularly cringe at bible-based as if the rest of us Christians are heathens. 

I think Jeremy and Jinger will enjoy LA, but I think it may drive a permanent wedge between her and her parents. I still remember the looks on JB and Michelle’s faces when Josh  and Anna announced their move.  

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

=

I think Jeremy and Jinger will enjoy LA, but I think it may drive a permanent wedge between her and her parents. I still remember the looks on JB and Michelle’s faces when Josh  and Anna announced their move.  

Well, I don't know about you, but I'd call this a fantastic outcome. 

• LOL 10
  • Love 12
4 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

It appears to me that the people who describe their bible study using archaic and arcane words are people like the Duggars. Very fundamentalist.  The minute I read words like these, I know I need to just walk on by.  I particularly cringe at bible-based as if the rest of us Christians are heathens. 

I think the looks were more from JB being jealous his son got a great job in D.C., and worrying the dirty little secrets may come out.

In the case of Jeremy and Jinger, JB may feel he is losing any control he has over Jinger may be slipping away. He might be worried about what may happen because Smugs/Mrs. Smugs and Jill/Deredick crashed and burned when they moved away.

2 hours ago, queenanne said:

It was definitely BIBLE STUDY at the last church I attended with my parents (Dutch Reformed, even though there wasn't a hint of Dutch in either of my parents). The study was headed by Harold Camping. Google him. He was the wacko who infamously predicted Armgeddon a few years back. He was a superstar back in the day. I was forced to go to his prechurch rantings in my latter high school years. To be honest, he was the last straw with me and organized religion. The guy was a snake, yet he had all these otherwise decent people slobbering all over him. It was sickening to observe.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

It was definitely BIBLE STUDY at the last church I attended with my parents (Dutch Reformed, even though there wasn't a hint of Dutch in either of my parents). The study was headed by Harold Camping. Google him. He was the wacko who infamously predicted Armgeddon a few years back. He was a superstar back in the day. I was forced to go to his prechurch rantings in my latter high school years. To be honest, he was the last straw with me and organized religion. The guy was a snake, yet he had all these otherwise decent people slobbering all over him. It was sickening to observe.

OMG!!! Camping!!! How many times did your parents divest themselves of all their worldly possessions in anticipation of the end??!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

He might be worried about what may happen because Smugs/Mrs. Smugs and Jill/Deredick crashed and burned when they moved away.

JB should look in the mirror for a major contributor to that result.  The normal parents raise their children so that they will be successful when they leave home and family. Successful meaning able to function in lawful, meaningful ways in the world we have.  He raised his children to hide from it. The outcome was easily predicted. Jinger has a husband that can function in the real world and is strong enough to guide her into it too, while keeping JB in his lane. I think this couple will actually be the true successful escapees. 

• Love 8