Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

I decided to finally listen to some of the Holy Goalie's preaching.  OMG what a hot mess.  It's like he's trying to mimic various well known preachers when he really should be going for his own style.  He's very hard to follow.  He needs to stop with the "Does that make sense?" every minute.  Also, it seems that the congregation is so minimal that he asks questions and interacts with them by name as if it's more of a bible study.  In the clip I'm watching, I'm about 17 minutes in and about 5 times now he's made some sort of derogatory and mean comment about people he's talked scripture with.   That's a very cheap style of preaching and make him look extremely "I'm better than you".   Has he had any formal theology training?  If not, he should.

I'm glad you mentioned this. I noticed what I thought were a surprising number of snide, derogatory remarks in the snippets of his sermons that I've listened to, but I wondered whether it was just in my head, because who the heck would constantly say mean things in a sermon? Even if you were arrogant enough to want to do it, wouldn't you restrain yourself out of worry that it would put people off your message? 

But I guess he really does it, eh? Wasn't just my Duggar-negative imagination.

To my knowledge, I've never heard any preaching-by-cheap-shots before. Is this actually a thing? Something some people do as a deliberate practice? If so, I'm glad I've missed it.  

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13
On 2/11/2019 at 10:17 AM, Barb23 said:

From his expression,  it looks like JB needs to find a restroom quickly.

Someone needs to tell Austin it's trashy to wear baseball caps indoors. 

Look, there is actual tip money on the table. I hope it isn't singles. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
43 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Someone needs to tell Austin it's trashy to wear baseball caps indoors. 

Look, there is actual tip money on the table. I hope it isn't singles. 

Austin likes to wear baseball caps indoors & out.  I don't think he realizes there is proper hat etiquette.  

IIRC, he even left his (dirty) baseball cap on when he went in the OR when Giddyup was born. It looked like he pulled the hood of his OR garb over the cap.  

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

wow, Jinger looks gorgeous here!!! For once, she looks the right age for Jeremy. Motherhood helped her grow out of her little girl looks, like it did for Jessa. Jing doesn't look like his teen sister anymore!

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 5
15 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Jinrer's head looks photoshopped in the Valentine's photo. Too big and a bit blurry. It looks like a Lifetime steal-the-husband photo.

It really does! The other photo, with Jeremy and Felicity, is much better. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

Jinger head does make her look like a bubble head. And of course too long hair covering the boobs. 

Not a fan of the pic.

Agreed, her hair/face would benefit from lots of layers, at minimum.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Felicity is one of those easy babies who trick you into thinking they’re all so cute and easy going. 

Well, maybe. She is cute and they post pictures of her smiling.  She might keep them up all night!!!!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Felicity is one of those easy babies who trick you into thinking they’re all so cute and easy going.  Then you decide to have a second and meet the devil himself. 

Mine were the other way around...it's a wonder that I braved having a second one, but she turned out to be amazingly easy in comparison. The first demanded attention and something to keep him occupied 24/7, didn't sleep through the night until he was close to a year old, woke up screaming bloody murder as soon as his eyes opened in the morning and lived to push my buttons as soon as he worked out what they were. The second slept through the night when she was a week and a half old (I ran to the bassinette in a panic when I woke up at 7:00 and realized I hadn't heard her since putting her down in the evening), entertained herself quietly when she woke, was just generally smiley and good natured and lived to please. The last was a typical third child who worked out ways to charm his way out of anything and somehow managed to break both himself and the rules on a regular basis without any long term damage or repercussions. They did all turn out to be amazing individuals, though!

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Mine were the other way around...it's a wonder that I braved having a second one, but she turned out to be amazingly easy in comparison. The first demanded attention and something to keep him occupied 24/7, didn't sleep through the night until he was close to a year old, woke up screaming bloody murder as soon as his eyes opened in the morning and lived to push my buttons as soon as he worked out what they were. The second slept through the night when she was a week and a half old (I ran to the bassinette in a panic when I woke up at 7:00 and realized I hadn't heard her since putting her down in the evening), entertained herself quietly when she woke, was just generally smiley and good natured and lived to please. The last was a typical third child who worked out ways to charm his way out of anything and somehow managed to break both himself and the rules on a regular basis without any long term damage or repercussions. They did all turn out to be amazing individuals, though!

Since jer and jing are the subject of tonight's show, did jer and jing post pics of jer preaching yesterday?  Like pretending he is for real a pastor of something?

Jeremy did a FB live from his office before service yesterday. In it, he noted the blessing of the new church but said in the next breath that the building didn't have internet. He claims that it will take "a few weeks" to resolve. Until then, no live sermons. 

• LOL 2
8 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Interesting that Jinger films in skirts, but when she knows it's a tight shot, in this case talking heads, jeans are A-okay.

That's called hypocrisy. This, not empathy or such, is what the Duggarlings learned early on and apparently indelibly from their disgusting parents. 

Check 'em out. Check ALL of them out. Which do they have? 

Yeah. 

• Love 8

I thought Jinger only really wore skirts when she was back at the TTH and wearing jeans (or pants) around her own home in Laredo was the norm. Anyway, that outfit is cute and normal.

And Felicity is still super cute. She looks like such a happy baby. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, McManda said:

I thought Jinger only really wore skirts when she was back at the TTH and wearing jeans (or pants) around her own home in Laredo was the norm. Anyway, that outfit is cute and normal.

And Felicity is still super cute. She looks like such a happy baby. 

She's worn skirts at her home in Laredo on the show, although they have been slightly above the knees. In the previews for the next episode it looks like Jinger is wearing sweatpants though.

I haven't seen Jinger wear pants at the TTH, although Jill has.

Edited by madpsych78
19 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Interesting that Jinger films in skirts, but when she knows it's a tight shot, in this case talking heads, jeans are A-okay.

Uncle Jim is no fool, and knows where his money shot photo-op bread is buttered - in with the laughing baby!

• Love 4

JInger might not wear pants around the TTH or when she's with her family not so much for her parents but for her siblings. There's still a passel of believers there. If I had all those brothers and sisters who still believed the nonsense, it would probably just be easier to go along with it when I was around them. 

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

JInger might not wear pants around the TTH or when she's with her family not so much for her parents but for her siblings. There's still a passel of believers there. If I had all those brothers and sisters who still believed the nonsense, it would probably just be easier to go along with it when I was around them. 

Yeah, I can see doing this.

At the same time, though, I really wonder about the level of actual solid "belief" among the Duggarlings at all. And how they'd actually respond to somebody doing something a little different. Hasn't Jill been seen wearing pants around the fam?

They're a bunch of parrots and pretty weak-minded and weak-willed in general, seems to me. Plus, they're a massive crowd. Plus, they're just inheritors of the beliefs -- parrots. I have a hard time seeing them even noticing somebody wearing a slightly different outfit in the midst of the TTH mob, let alone actually caring. Especially if the somebody is just "meek" Jingle. It's not as if pants show a bunch of skin so the intruder would look like a Vegas showgirl. 

I doubt Jessa'd mind. It'd mean she was one of the few remaining totally holy ones!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5

I also seriously question their faith, or at least that there is any depth to their faith. I do not follow any of the Duggars on social media, so I only see what is posted here (thanks to diligent @ginger90). Are the Duggars (and I wonder the most about the Vuolos) posting anything about faith that isn’t posted here? Like, are none of their posts about faith posted here? Because otherwise they don’t say anything other than verse here or there, reading proverbs, and the same recycled servant’s heart lines. There’s nothing about doing a deep dive into the book of Esther, or attending a Bible study, or words of encouragement, or ‘this is how God showed up in my life today.’ I do follow some evangelical Christian women on Twitter and I listen to various Christian podcasts, and I don’t see any of the same stuff coming from the Duggars. My own pastor is on Facebook, and he is a prolific poster. I would say two-thirds of his posts are about Jesus and the church, and one-third is Duke basketball. Jeremy appears to post one quarter books, one quarter Jinger, one quarter Baby, and one quarter miscellany that might include God.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Marshmallow, I agree with your entire post. Jeremy strikes me as more of a vanity preacher. He likes to get dressed up and hear himself talk, but there's no depth to any of his messages and he appears to do little work outside his sporadic appearances at GCC. Given that Laredo has a largely underserved population, you'd think he'd be involved in starting food/clothing drives, youth activities, ESL courses, providing baby supplies for low-income mothers, etc. But nope. It's all conferences and flitting about to preach in hipster cafes or conduct weddings with side trips to MLB games. He's a lot more Duggar-ish than I think a lot of us originally gave him credit for.

It's a theme! 

The marryers-in are like iron filings to a strong magnet, I guess. 

• Love 12
32 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

I was once on an airplane seated next to a woman priest (so that narrows down the denomination) who was deeply involved in training for would-be priests. It was fascinating, actually, even to this heathen. 

She talked about how difficult it is to weed out the people who were pursuing this role for ego and power, because they talked such a good game. There was one in particular she was troubled by, because he was snowing the other church authorities in the program and she was sure he was...she paused, and heathen me said, helpfully, “a total bullshitter”? She laughed and said, “exactly.”

That’s Jeremy. He’s an Instagram Preacher.

Unfortunately true of any profession where you can get major ego strokes from having people listen to you or being allowed to push people around or being in the public eye in any way ... . or all of the above. Unfortunately a lot of these professions are ones where good performers should be thinking more of others than of themselves, like clergy, teachers, coaches, public officials, and so on. 

With Jer, I don't necessarily get the impression he wants to actually manipulate people and change them necessarily. Frankly, he doesn't seem interested enough in other people to want to do that. With him, it's the showing off that mostly seems to matter -- as you say, an Instagram Preacher -- so, on the bright side, I guess if my impression is accurate he's less of a problem than some other people who aspire to the job. He's just a show-off. Not necessarily a manipulative show-off. ;  )

• Love 10
2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Marshmallow, I agree with your entire post. Jeremy strikes me as more of a vanity preacher. He likes to get dressed up and hear himself talk, but there's no depth to any of his messages and he appears to do little work outside his sporadic appearances at GCC. Given that Laredo has a largely underserved population, you'd think he'd be involved in starting food/clothing drives, youth activities, ESL courses, providing baby supplies for low-income mothers, etc. But nope. It's all conferences and flitting about to preach in hipster cafes or conduct weddings with side trips to MLB games. He's a lot more Duggar-ish than I think a lot of us originally gave him credit for.

This made me think of something. I’ve stated before that I’m a Christian, and I’m actively involved in our church. Anyway, I’ve recently had our last child and I cannot give away our stuff...our church doesn’t know of any needy family?! Our local school district social worker has nobody in need? And the local moms homes that I’ve tried don’t want used, they want money for new items. If someone is in deseperate need of baby items where would they go? 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

I was once on an airplane seated next to a woman priest (so that narrows down the denomination) who was deeply involved in training for would-be priests. It was fascinating, actually, even to this heathen. 

She talked about how difficult it is to weed out the people who were pursuing this role for ego and power, because they talked such a good game. There was one in particular she was troubled by, because he was snowing the other church authorities in the program and she was sure he was...she paused, and heathen me said, helpfully, “a total bullshitter”? She laughed and said, “exactly.”

That’s Jeremy. He’s an Instagram Preacher.

Omg. I know someone EXACTLY like this. He grew up with me, and he has a stage mother. He's always had a huge ego and thinks he's super special because he's the descendant of a famous person (and now he claims the famous person was awful, but that doesn't stop him from name dropping). He flunked out of divinity school, but still considers himself a pastor, flitting around just like Jeremy giving speeches at churches by using his family name. He had a brief fifteen minutes of fame a few years ago where he was on a major award show, which led to talk show appearances, and he's trying so hard to keep his fame alive. He's the liberal counterpart to Jeremy, and is the same way...100% on the far left, and won't entertain any other ideas. He loves to blather on about white privilege, and then takes exotic vacations on Mommy and Daddy's dime. But the thing that bothers me MOST is how hateful he is for someone who professes to be a pastor. While he says the "right" things, like black people matter and LGBTQ people should have rights (so his beliefs aren't inherently hateful), he is SO NASTY to anyone who says anything that doesn't kiss his ass. One of our former teachers suggested he slow down on his appearances for his mental health, and he was SUPER nasty to her back. She was genuinely concerned for him, and not rude at all! He assumes anytime something doesn't go his way, he is being persecuted for his liberal beliefs by a racist, and attacks anyone who suggests that maybe he didn't get the gig or whatever for other reasons. Plus he has made a career talking about how backward our hometown is, while he still chooses to live there! He is equally as infuriating as Jeremy, but really even worse, because Jeremy can be charming and non-aggressive. 

Thankfully, this dude has tried to get into every major denomination, and they have all seen right through him and sent him on his way. Even very liberal ones. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 6
55 minutes ago, Farmfam said:

This made me think of something. I’ve stated before that I’m a Christian, and I’m actively involved in our church. Anyway, I’ve recently had our last child and I cannot give away our stuff...our church doesn’t know of any needy family?! Our local school district social worker has nobody in need? And the local moms homes that I’ve tried don’t want used, they want money for new items. If someone is in deseperate need of baby items where would they go? 

Is there a domestic violence or women’s shelter where you live? Or is that what you meant by moms’ homes...

There’s always Goodwill but at least here in PNW it’s gotten harder and harder to donate there. They want LIKE NEW on everything! I think it’s partly that they’re overwhelmed right at the moment by the people watching Marie Kondo...

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • Love 6
57 minutes ago, Farmfam said:

Maybe ask around about friends' churches? At least a few churches do try to act as clearinghouses for stuff. Depends on what charities they're involved in, I suppose.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Farmfam said:

Do you participate in NextDoor?  its a neighborhood social app.  Also, there is Offer Up, an app and LetGo, an app that you can offer "for free" and meet at public place if those are options for you.  I know here there is a lot offered for free and there are takers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

Do you participate in NextDoor?  its a neighborhood social app.  Also, there is Offer Up, an app and LetGo, an app that you can offer "for free" and meet at public place if those are options for you.  I know here there is a lot offered for free and there are takers.

No, but this sounds perfect! Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, Oldernowiser said:

Is there a domestic violence or women’s shelter where you live? Or is that what you meant by moms’ homes...

There’s always Goodwill but at least here in PNW it’s gotten harder and harder to donate there. They want LIKE NEW on everything! I think it’s partly that they’re overwhelmed right at the moment by the people watching Marie Kondo...

Yes, the Moms houses are for women coming out of domestic violence situations with or without children. I have no real problem giving to goodwill, community aid, etc but since a lot of our baby items were gifts or hand me downs it doesn’t sit well with me to ask for someone else to pay for it, especially someone genuinely in need. 

1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Maybe ask around about friends' churches? At least a few churches do try to act as clearinghouses for stuff. Depends on what charities they're involved in, I suppose.

I have asked a few of my friends, and I’ve even intentionally chose different denominations than mine! Thank you! 

• Love 2