Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I am slightly out of the loop with this set of Duggars, but is there something wrong with the baby's head and they have to always have her in caps??  

Jeremy is definitely doing the "fake it til you make it" thing in terms of preaching.   I'm sure as soon as the TeeVee money dries up, he'll be off on some other venture.

From what I've seen, Felicity has a cute, round head. I think they just like dolling her up.

Jinger looks pregnant in that top picture. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 5
45 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I am slightly out of the loop with this set of Duggars, but is there something wrong with the baby's head and they have to always have her in caps??  

Well, Jin is known for liking knit hats, including for herself. So it could mostly be that. But Felicity doesn't have much hair, so one good possibility for this very sex-role-conscious crowd is that the flowered hats and turbans and bows are partly intended to insure that nobody mistakes -- Gasp! -- the girl baby for a boy baby. Some people have an irrational horror of that, I've noticed.

45 minutes ago, awaken said:

Who’s taking all these perfect photos if they’re so busy gazing at each other and posing?

Right at the moment it could be Jana (or Jessa or Bin?). These pictures all seem to be from Atlanta and it looks like at least Jer and Jingle and Jana were probably staying together and did stay over after the conference ended. .... To...uh...take a lot of over-edited photos....

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Zella said:

After the post I made in the Jana thread, I feel duty-bound to note this Times Square Ball photo with Jingle and Jeremy also looks stupid, though mildly less creepy. 

These two are more accustomed to posing with fake smiles so they look more relaxed, I guess. As Jana fills up her (now horrifying) new Instagram, maybe she'll get more relaxed about it too. Or not. Here at the beginning, she doesn't come across to me as somebody who actually wants to do that. But who knows? (Also weird -- the other people on Jana's instagram also appear to be 100 percent faking it....very aggressively faking it. What's that about? As others have asked, who and what the heck are behind this weirdness?)

I have to say that I find it amazing and curious that we can so easily pick up the slight tension in tiny muscles when somebody's pose or expression is forced -- and easily tell it apart from an unposed picture -- and feel instantly creeped out about it. That's fascinating to me in multiple ways.....So thanks for giving me something interesting to think about, Duggarlings. I guess. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 16
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:46 PM, Sew Sumi said:

The guest speaker at his church today was Hispanic. Perfect English, but the accent was there. 

I think I caught the end of it, but he went on about the temptation of David. At least this guy put the blame on David, saying that if he had just hung out with his generals, he never would have seen Bathsheba AND SINNED. I bet Jeremy would have presented the story differently.

I'm very surprised by that. I have never heard any pastor or reverend put any blame on David. And from someone who belongs to this kind of church? Where everything is women's fault anyways. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm very surprised by that. I have never heard any pastor or reverend put any blame on David. And from someone who belongs to this kind of church? Where everything is women's fault anyways. 

Maybe this guy heard too many rumors of the love between David and Jonathan. So he figured the possibility that David might have leaned toward teh gayness or teh bisexuality left him open to condemnation right along with Bathsheba. 

Although I don't know how you'd square this with the idea that he'd have been better off just hanging with his generals. ;  )

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Maybe this guy heard too many rumors of the love between David and Jonathan. So he figured the possibility that David might have leaned toward teh gayness or teh bisexuality left him open to condemnation right along with Bathsheba. 

Although I don't know how you'd square this with the idea that he'd have been better off just hanging with his generals. ;  )

I don't either. I guess if David stayed with his generals he wouldn't have saw Bathsheba and had no choice but sin because of her. Its more then I ever heard about anything regarding David's fault. Which has always annoyed me. God forbid David get any blame (even though if I remember correctly God blamed him its men who usually have left him off the hook). Oh, no it has to be the woman's fault. A great general was unable to control himself. 

I admit I laugh at the idea of this guy hearing too many rumors about the love of David and Jonathan, which could also go either way for me. If that's true he's clearly not read up on other armies of the ancient world. It was pretty common in the Greeks and Romans.

• Love 7
On 1/20/2019 at 6:15 AM, floridamom said:

Jeremy is clearly building his career.  I hope Jinger isn't killing all of Felicity's hair as it is trying to grow in with all those hats...all the time.

I also don't think that anyone should be publicly preaching in an expository manner about the bible before they are fully educated in the bible's interpretation. A very learned priest from a church I used to belong to said to me once that interpretation of biblical text requires one to be fully educated and trained before it can be explained. The language of the text is ancient and meanings back then are not necessarily the same meanings as we use today. Jeremy simply is preaching his OPINION at this point. He thinks a lot of himself to be up there telling others how to live and what not to do. He's not dedicated, he's employed and wants to move up the ladder. Look at his attendance at his own little church in Laredo....he's hardly there.

It occurred to me that "expository preaching" is 100% up the Gothard/Duggar alley.

One of the fundamental tenants of Protestantism is that lay people should be able to read and interpret the Bible for themselves. There are obviously problems for people in the various protestant cults when their followers actually read the Bible and begin to wonder why Jesus said to be kind and compassionate, and their ministers insist that compassion is horrifically un-Christian (among many, many other inconsistencies). It's important to have created a structure where learned people (white men) can "interpret" scripture so that no one is misled by their own interpretations.

• Love 17
26 minutes ago, Lunera said:

The Vuolos at Chick fil A headquarters and College Football Hall of Fame. Jana still on nanny duty.

Josh Buice is another Calvinist pastor. He's the one who now has lots of little talks posted on Jer's church's website. I don't know if they're all like this, but in the couple I looked at Jer asks Buice some theological question and Buice answers. He's much much more cogent and articulate than Jer. Much. 

45 minutes ago, MichaelaRae said:

Maybe Jana holds babies because she likes holding babies? 

She can't exactly go to the gym and pump iron since it's unfeminine. Maybe it's a part of her exercise routine?

Edited by PikaScrewChu
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, PikaScrewChu said:

She can't exactly go to the gym and pump iron since it's unfeminine. Maybe it's a part of her exercise routine?

Her mother used to belong to Planet Fitness. They showed Michelle at the gym on television. Jana is 29 and has been a reality television "star" most of her adult life. She should be able to go to gym if she wants to. 

As for Jinger, I also get the feeling she may be pregnant again, but who knows?

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 7
7 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

Jessa posted pic of her and Bin working out. Maybe it's ok to make your boobs jiggle if your married.

• Love 9

I predict Jinger will have baby #2 pretty quickly, but then wait a while for baby #3. 

I saw the picture of them gazing falsely in wonder at the NYE ball and thought 'hmmm is she pregnant?' so I wouldn't be surprised either.

• Love 9

The Duggar family have their own work out room on the property of the TTH. You see, THIS WAY, none of their grown children would have to do squats in front of us heathens outside of their 'circle'. Once again, they sequester themselves from the 'others'.

• Love 15
34 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

Goddddd, this is what I can't stand about him!!!! He is sooooo in love with himself. Every guy I've known in real life who take so pictures like that is a complete douche. I'm sure Jeremy's not the exception!

Yeah, that's my problem with him, too. And then you add that to being a guy who quickly failed at being a pro athlete (never really achieved a bang and then ended with a whimper) after, I expect, firmly believing he'd crush it -- and in my experience that almost seals the deal. 

ETA: Jeremy's response when he started having bad results on the football pitch: http://dailyorange.com/2013/04/former-syracuse-goalkeeper-vuolo-balances-religion-pro-soccer-career/

April 2013

Jeremy Vuolo argued with Marc Sagal, the New York Red Bulls psychologist and man he called one of the best in the world. Sagal posed a simple question.

“Why do you want to be the No. 1 goalkeeper?”

Vuolo said he wanted to glorify God through his play on the field.

“And the sports psychologist would always question me and say, ‘Yeah, OK. I’m buying that a little bit, but I think there’s more to it than that,’” Vuolo said. “And he’d say, ‘I think you want more money and I think you want more fame and I think you want more attention and approval.’”

The former Syracuse goalkeeper, who played for the Orange in 2010, insisted he didn’t. But as the 2012 season wore on and he slipped further and further down the Red Bulls depth chart, Vuolo stopped being able to deny his more selfish motivations.

“Long story short, the Lord began systematically humbling me in ways that I didn’t think were possible to be humbled in such a way,” Vuolo said.

His desires for personal glory and to promote his faith were “waging war on each other.” Vuolo would find himself struggling in the middle of a tough training session, wondering why he even wanted to play the game. The realization of the conflict helped, but by season’s end, he wanted out of New York. In the offseason, he lost his desire to play altogether. On March 7 of this year, he announced his retirement at the age of 25 on his personal blog, and then his intention to immediately begin pursuing ministry.

Three weeks later, he was back, having signed a contract with the San Antonio Scorpions of the second-tier North American Soccer League.

“It’s a great step for him, it’s a good opportunity for him to challenge and really, truly be a consistent No. 1,” former Red Bulls goalkeepers coach Todd Hoffard said, “to get a lot of games under his belt and get some visibility.”

Despite returning to the United States fresh off of a dominant season in Finland — nearly half of his games were shutouts — Vuolo was stuck on the bench with the Red Bulls behind rookie goalie Ryan Meara.

He never saw the field — not in the regular season, not even in the U.S. Open Cup when the Red Bulls faced minor-league teams. Then-head coach Hans Backe didn’t rate him, Vuolo said, and in August, the Red Bulls signed former U.S. national team goalkeeper Luis Robles. Robles buried Vuolo on the bench, but provided a light for Vuolo during an otherwise frustrating season.

“From Jeremy’s experience, I was able to just share with him what happened in my life,” Robles said, “how my wife and I decided what our next plan was going to be.”

Robles’ national team career fell apart. He had to give up playing in Germany, where his career was launched playing for Karlsruhe and Kaiserslautern, because his father became too frail to travel to games. His wife had a miscarriage, his father-in-law got cancer, MLS offers fell through and he had to take a minimum wage job as an “errand boy” at an old friend’s real estate company.

While Vuolo wrestled with his motivations, Robles had just seen his personal and professional dreams decimated. For both, though, Robles held simple advice.

“I’m not as awesome as I thought I was.”

By the end of the season, Vuolo was excited to leave New York. He was one of many players released as a new front office staff cleaned house. He still wanted to play the game, but he wasn’t done being humbled.

His agent arranged a tryout with one of Finland’s top teams, HJK Helsinki, in Valencia, Spain. Vuolo called it the “perfect opportunity.” His friend and former Red Bulls teammate Teemu Tainio were set to join the team.

Vuolo was dominant on the field. He shut out one of the top Norwegian teams, Strømsgodset IF, in a practice match. Off the field, his teammates were excited to talk about the Bible with him.

“It was just an interesting team dynamic that is very rare,” Vuolo said. “You don’t often find, within a few days of meeting a team, that you get along with everybody so well. So everything seemed to be pointing to HJK.”

Even the general manager said the club wanted to sign him. But after returning to the United States, Vuolo got a text message from his agent saying there was no offer from HJK.

It forced him into a lull. He was back living at home in Downingtown, Pa., without offers and struggling to find the motivation to train. Everything pointed to ministry.

But when the San Antonio Scorpions came calling to invite Vuolo to a tryout, he hesitated. Robles remembers being in the airport, about to board a plane to Portland, Ore., and talking to Vuolo to convince him to give the sport one last shot.

His parents convinced him, too. Still reluctant, Vuolo rode down to San Antonio with his father, a preacher. On the way, he realized one of his favorite pastors, Tim Conway, lived in San Antonio. Vuolo’s passion for the sport rushed back. During his tryout, he dove and scrapped his way to a contract offer.

Now, he lives with Conway, balancing his drive for soccer and his future in ministry.

“This is the place where I am,” Vuolo said. “This is the ideal place for me to be focused on ministry, as well as soccer. God’s really given me both.”

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 18
3 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Nope, not posed at all.🤣

F7093663-FC36-42E4-9E56-E4D6B48E015B.png

Felicity looks like she wants to roll her eyes!

I can't wait till summer!  Maybe they will let Felicity go hatless and we can see her head shape and hair.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Of all the family traits to get, poor Felicity has gotten Auntie Jill's raised eyebrows camera face.  

But on Felicity it's more of a WTF, not a cheesy fake surprised face like Jill. That makes all the difference...

• Love 21
8 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

I just CANNOT.  Even many Catholic* seminaries have women professors who teach the seminarians (and some even teach theology classes).  When you're trying to double down on the patriarchy even more than Catholic seminaries, you may need to at least stop calling out the ebil Catholics all the time, Jeremy, Ben, & company.....

*full disclosure: I was raised Catholic & consider myself "culturally Catholic," but I don't practice. I do have several friends who are graduates of Catholic seminary programs & I have done academic research about/with Catholic nuns & clergy. I'm not hating on Catholicism here, but rather the idea that Jeremy & company love to criticize the Catholics, yet they're doubling down on the idea of men-only-at-the-pulpit by adding no-people-with-women-parts -teaching-the-men-of-the-pulpit...it's almost more Catholic than the actual Catholics as far patriarchy. Also, as someone who teaches in (public) higher education, I cannot tell you how loathe I find it that they oppose humans with female body parts teaching even history, languages, etc to seminarians.  I am enraged.  I guess they expect all the women instructors at their local bible colleges to just go back home after years of teaching (and earning advanced degrees) so the men can teach their courses.  I'm sure those women will gladly return home to use their graduate degrees, research, and experience teaching college classes to be helpmeets and birth eleventy blessings. I'd tell Piper and Jeremy just what they can do with Jeremy's fountain pens, but I will try to be above it....

/ranty rage over  

Thank you! I'm Catholic and culturally Catholic and I agree with you that if you want to criticize Catholicism, trying to be more inclusive of women in the ministry would be a good start. 

• Love 9
On 23/01/2019 at 6:05 AM, Temperance said:

Her mother used to belong to Planet Fitness. They showed Michelle at the gym on television. Jana is 29 and has been a reality television "star" most of her adult life. She should be able to go to gym if she wants to. 

But if Jana goes to the gym she has to take someone with her (Johanna?) then whose gonna look after the rest of the kids? WW3 would start. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Puffin said:

But if Jana goes to the gym she has to take someone with her (Johanna?) then whose gonna look after the rest of the kids? WW3 would start. 

I suppose she could take a howler, but then there’s a chance she could be around men she’s not related to & defraud them forever with her workout jean skirt 😳

• Love 13
19 hours ago, floridamom said:

The Duggar family have their own work out room on the property of the TTH. You see, THIS WAY, none of their grown children would have to do squats in front of us heathens outside of their 'circle'. Once again, they sequester themselves from the 'others'.

That actually makes sense though. It wouldn't shock me if Jeremy and Jinger have a workout room too. It's much cheaper to spend $1,000 and have all your own equipment, especially weights that don't wear out or need much maintenance, over paying for a gym membership. Has nothing to do with modesty and everything to do with cost-even if half the family used a gym, even a planet fitness membership for everyone is going to cost over $1,000/year. 

• Love 5
14 hours ago, louannems said:

I can't wait till summer!  Maybe they will let Felicity go hatless and we can see her head shape and hair.

Let's hope but she'll probably end up wearing bows & headbands 

• Love 9
4 hours ago, heckkitty said:

I suppose she could take a howler, but then there’s a chance she could be around men she’s not related to & defraud them forever with her workout jean skirt 😳

Unfortunately, with her family, it's not just the men she's not related to that she has to worry about.

• Love 19

This irritates me how she just comes right out and says, "if you want to be like ME..." Yeah, because you're so special and accomplished. Just shows how highly they think of themselves. Also, if she were a true professional photographer, why would she want others to have her skills? It makes no sense. 

• Love 17