Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Kennedy Center Honors (CBS) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Interesting that Caroline's kids are doing the JFK tribute.

Well, Caroline's still a bit busy with her duties as the (outgoing) US Ambassador to Japan. I don't believe she's participated in any of the Kennedy Center Honors specials since she's had that post.

12 minutes ago, BW Manilowe said:

Well, Caroline's still a bit busy with her duties as the (outgoing) US Ambassador to Japan. I don't believe she's participated in any of the Kennedy Center Honors specials since she's had that post.

She hasn't but neither have the kids who keep a pretty low profile which was my point. She was in NY a few weeks ago because I have a friend who lives in their building.

Loved Obama and Gayle (I think it was Gayle) singing along.  The James Taylor tribute was lovely.  Bill Clinton on script, and Yo Yo Ma, who seems to be the most decent person ever. 

And there was a commercial for Bette in Hello Dolly!  I guess this would be the show to advertise on.

And here comes Mavis!  I love Mavis!!

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Love that Linda Ronstadt did the film narration.  It's too bad she couldn't be there.

And when did Vince Gill get so...old?  (And I ask that as an old person)

And fat too. Looks like Jerry Lewis and Adam Sandler.

Ringo looks good. Don Henley has bitchface.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, iwasish said:

And fat too. Looks like Jerry Lewis and Adam Sandler.

Ringo looks good. Don Henley has bitchface.

Maybe that was it - possibly not that old, just...a bit larger.

Ringo looks great!  Doesn't Don Henley always look unhappy?

Colbert doing air guitar at the end was fun. 

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

Loved the editing on the Eagles intro video. Don Felder? Never heard of the man. Randy Meisner? You must be thinking of some other band.

This morning on CBS This Morning, Henley was interviewed by Gayle King & she asked him about Meisner, Felder and that other guy Bernie whose last name escapes me and he said nice things about all of them. 

I enjoyed the show, but it was very odd seeing a lengthy tribute to James Taylor without even a photo of him with Carly Simon.  On the other hand there were at least two with Joni Mitchell in the photo.  It made me wonder how she is doing.

I wish they had ended with the Mavis Staples tribute, but it was certainly a lively ending as it was.

Some great stuff tonight...although the Letterman/Zepplin honors from a few years ago will always be the best...

Yeah, I noticed it too that there was very little mention of other members of the Eagles....and Vince did well on Peaceful..Bob Seger was the most fun..and I wanted to shoot my TV every time Kings of Leon were featured...why they even have a career is beyond me..and sorry to say, that cover of Hotel California sucked...but all was not lost.....I loved seeing Leland Sklar back Sheryl Crow..Sklar is a legend in the sideman biz....and I am a geek for session players...

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Carly Simon might not have signed off on it.

i think it was the Kennedy Center Honor tribute for Ginger Rogers and Fred's widow wouldn't sign off on using any footage with Fred. Must have been fun doing a Ginger tribute with no Fred.

I saw Carly interviewed by Stephen Colbert maybe a year ago and she discussed seeing James on the same show previously and how good he sounded.  She sounded friendly about it.   It just seemed strange to not see any photos of her considering their children were mentioned.

Edited by roseha

I love Vince Gill.   Recently saw him in concert and he joked about how much weight he has put on.

Bob Seger was fun to watch -- so much energy!

I didn't realize this was on last night, but found it On Demand.  Always enjoy it and getting exposed to performers like Mavis Staples and Martha Argerich, who I don't know as well (or at all).

22 hours ago, ebk57 said:

JKF's grandson (sorry, already forgot his name) is definitely a Kennedy.  

And Cynthia Erivo is magnificent!

JFK's grandson is Jack (maybe actually John, I forget) Kennedy Schlossberg. He has 2 sisters (both older, I think), Rose & Tatiana. They're the children of the current US Ambassador to Japan, Caroline Kennedy, & her husband Edwin Schlossberg.

22 hours ago, HelenBaby said:

This morning on CBS This Morning, Henley was interviewed by Gayle King & she asked him about Meisner, Felder and that other guy Bernie whose last name escapes me and he said nice things about all of them. 

Bernie's last name is Leadon. Bernie Leadon.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add spacing.
  • Love 2

Can anyone tell me what the (I think) Korean pianist played in the Martha Argerich segment?  It sounded so familiar, but I couldn't place it.  Thanks if anyone can help.

Found it elsewhere.  Piazzola, Grand Tango.

Edited by Crisopera
20 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

JFK's grandson is Jack (maybe actually John, I forget) Kennedy Schlossberg. He has 2 sisters (both older, I think), Rose & Tatiana. They're the children of the current US Ambassador to Japan, Caroline Kennedy, & her husband Edwin Schlossberg.

Bernie's last name is Leadon. Bernie Leadon.

Thank you. I'm old and even though the Eagles were popular when I was a young woman, for some reason it took me a while to pay attention to them. 

When I was a sprite of a girl, I went to my first James Taylor concert, during his tour to promote JT. At the time, I was super into Carly Simon's stuff way more than James's, but I certainly liked him fine and my girlfriends and I were excited to go see somebody that famous in our hometown (and without any chaperones!). The show was festival seating, meaning you showed up and sat where ever.  I don't remember how, but we got super close to the stage. Carly and James hadn't been married that long, and I was hoping she'd show up and sing some.  At some point during a quiet moment, I piped up, "Where's Carly?" thinking he'd be wistful or romantic, or that she'd show up and sing "Mockingbird"! Oh, James got quite cross with me; he heckled me back, admonishing me for 'not letting me do this by myself'. I wanted to die, just die. It felt like the whole audience was glaring darts at me for upsetting the sensitive James [with my innocent girlish inquiry after his brand new missus, for pete's sake]. Happily, the moment passed, the concert continued, the band cooked, ovations were given and received, a couple of encores played. I have since collected a whole slew of Taylor's albums, seen him in concert a couple more times (and once at the local Friendly's in mid-fishamajig!)  and I do love so much of his stuff.  But that was my first lesson in the tender feefees of famous men. So you won't blame me when I eyerolled a tad during the 'James loves all his fans so much' portion of the presentation.

On another hand, Mavis Staples could heckle me all the way to church and back, and I'd be downright blissed.

• Love 4
On 12/28/2016 at 9:20 PM, BW Manilowe said:

I think we all knew that ; )

• Love 2

I thought JK Schlossberg looks just like his father. His sister (the one in pink) looks like Caroline.

Speaking of resemblance, Vince Gill now looks just like Tony Kushner.

The dude playing the double-necked guitar in "Hotel California" was Steuart Smith, the guy the Eagles hired to play Felder's parts since they sacked him. He's not An Eagle, he's just hired to play. Which I'm sure is easier on everyone, including the accountants. If I'm not mistaken, he and Shawn Colvin were a couple for a while -- maybe they still are?

I think POTUS might have been getting misty during "The Impossible Dream" since that was the song performed at Ted Kennedy's funeral. Or maybe because it's the kind of song that can get you misty.

It gladdened me a bit to see Stephen Colbert return to his axe-work. I remember the shred-off fondly.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:26 PM, attica said:

So you won't blame me when I eyerolled a tad during the 'James loves all his fans so much' portion of the presentation.

I wouldn't blame you even without that revealing story.  JT has long struck me as overrated both musically and as a human being.

• Love 1

Just a reminder that PTV's rule on political discussion;

Where a show itself has political content -- political discussion will be allowed ONLY as it relates to the show.

Where a show has zero political content, political talk, jibes or mentions in posts are off-topic and subject to moderation, this includes Small Talk topics.

For the purposes of this site, Editorial content should be considered part of the show, and therefore, is permissible for that show’s forum discussion.

What does this mean in terms of this show? What is specifically discussed on the show is open for civil, ON-TOPIC discussion.

This is not the place to get into your personal feelings on current politics. Posts that do will be removed. Repeated posts that do that may result in warnings or other sanctions.

I enjoyed the cast of On Your Feet.  Also fun seeing some of the audience members bopping in their seats.  

I'm really only watching because it's what I do.  I've found it hard to get excited over the honoree list this year.

7 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I love tributes like the one for Carmen  de Lavallade.  Just pure entertainment.

My favorite segment of the evening.  Not a false note and I loved all the participants.  

All in all, an entertaining evening.  I'm still not sure that a couple of the honorees should be honorees, but no one asked me.  

What I really want is an annotated list of audience members.  Some of them were quite entertaining (and I think I saw Cal Ripken!).

• Love 1

I wish they had done more with Lionel Richie's tribute.  The last performance usually brings the house down, but his felt too muted.  I wouldn't have chosen "All Night Long" for Leona Lewis.  Maybe "Truly" or "Hello."  

Best ones were Carmen de Lavallade and LL Cool J's.  Got choked up seeing Wade in the Water and I loved the poignant spin to "He's got the Whole World in his hands" for Carmen's tribute.  

I cracked up at the audience trying to move to the rap songs.  But that tribute was excellent.  I wish they had had that kind of energy for Lionel's tribute.

Imo, Norman Lear's would have been more poignant if they'd had former cast members from his shows do the scenes, besides Rob Reiner.  

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

Imo, Norman Lear's would have been more poignant if they'd had former cast members from his shows do the scenes, besides Rob Reiner.  

Sadly, so many of them are no longer with us--Carroll O'Connor, Jean Stapleton, Bea Authur, Sherman Hemsley, Bonnnie Franklin, Esther Rolle, and probably others.  

• Sad 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Sadly, so many of them are no longer with us--Carroll O'Connor, Jean Stapleton, Bea Authur, Sherman Hemsley, Bonnnie Franklin, Esther Rolle, and probably others.  

I know a lot of them have passed, but not all.  I was thinking of Marla Gibbs, John Amos, Mackenzie Phillips, etc.

• Love 1

Just finished on the West Coast. Leona's dress was not appropriate at all. Not that I usually clutch pearls, but this tends to be a more dignified affair that doesn't need a see-through outfit. She was kind of a let down as the final singer.

I'm always interested in the tributes to people who aren't singers or dancers and don't have an obvious performance that can be given.

• Love 1

Couldn't get Bruno Mars to do a little something-something for Lionel?   That could've been amazing.

*They're good enough friends that Bruno can tell him to 'Stahhhp' and pull him away when he's Doing Too Much with Adele...

giphy.gif    giphy.gif

• Love 4

Like some of you have mentioned, but I too felt the show was a little off.  Maybe it was the drama when they were first announced with possible boycotts, the tension (especially tension) between this particular crowd and president. I wish they could have had someone sitting where the President normally does. 8 years of watching Obama, sing,sway and and a few times cry , as well as his and Michelle's interaction with the honorees set a comfortable tone. This year it just looked like they were on display.  I was thinking someone like Tom hanks and streep, or Jay z and Beyonce or even Bill Clinton AND George Bush up there together since they seem to all get along now..hell put Hillary and Laura up there too and you would a foursome with both sides represented.

I also missed having a host, Colbert has done such a great job. I was also unsure of a couple nominees, I love LL Cool J but thought he was a bit young, when there were others before him.

Some of the performers seemed off and lackluster. Due to the fact many of the stars of Lear's shows have passed on, I wished they had shown many more clips of his shows to truly show his great work, they did a biography of Norman on PBS that had  back stage film , behind the scene footage of him and the cast and interviews, wish they had used that, instead I felt like I got a furniture show.

I absolutely LOVE the KCH and look forward to it every year and I am upset I did not enjoy it more. I love the honorees I just wish a better tribute for them.

Thanks for listening to my rant..i.feel better now

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Amethyst said:

I wish they had done more with Lionel Richie's tribute.  The last performance usually brings the house down, but his felt too muted.  I wouldn't have chosen "All Night Long" for Leona Lewis.  Maybe "Truly" or "Hello."  

I was really disappointed in that tribute.  I love Stevie Wonder but he's losing his voice and he sounded "off."  And while I guess Leona Lewis is still popular in England, I didn't know she was that popular in the U.S.  In any event, I thought she was the wrong person for the finale and, yes, that person is usually the one to bring the house down.  Also, what is her connection to Lionel Richie?  Have they ever collaborated?  

4 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

Like some of you have mentioned, but I too felt the show was a little off.  Maybe it was the drama when they were first announced with possible boycotts, the tension (especially tension) between this particular crowd and president. I wish they could have had someone sitting where the President normally does. 8 years of watching Obama, sing,sway and and a few times cry , as well as his and Michelle's interaction with the honorees set a comfortable tone. This year it just looked like they were on display.  I was thinking someone like Tom hanks and streep, or Jay z and Beyonce or even Bill Clinton AND George Bush up there together since they seem to all get along now..hell put Hillary and Laura up there too and you would a foursome with both sides represented.

I also missed having a host, Colbert has done such a great job. I was also unsure of a couple nominees, I love LL Cool J but thought he was a bit young, when there were others before him.

Some of the performers seemed off and lackluster. Due to the fact many of the stars of Lear's shows have passed on, I wished they had shown many more clips of his shows to truly show his great work, they did a biography of Norman on PBS that had  back stage film , behind the scene footage of him and the cast and interviews, wish they had used that, instead I felt like I got a furniture show.

I absolutely LOVE the KCH and look forward to it every year and I am upset I did not enjoy it more. I love the honorees I just wish a better tribute for them.

Thanks for listening to my rant..i.feel better now

I had to quote this because I agree with your entire post.

• Love 4