Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Kennedy Center Honors (CBS) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The whole show is available on CBS.com.

In addition to that, is it being rebroadcast? 

CBS.com says the show is available for purchase at iTunes, but I can't confirm that right now. (It's not showing up, but it may show up when I check using the AppleTV portal later.)

I've seen the awesome Aretha Franklin clip on YouTube, but am basically interested in whatever else the Carole King segment contained. (As for the others, I can take it or leave it, with a mild exception for Rita Moreno on the "take it" side.)

Edited by Milburn Stone

Hugh Jackman's wife Deborra-Lee Furness presented him with a special Tony award for his humanitarian efforts in 2012.  It was a total surprise to him that she'd be doing it and the goo-goo eyes he had for her during her speech put me in a puddle on the floor.

• Love 1

This is always my favorite part, too! The year they replaced Jimmy Stewart with someone newer made me weep.

I loved all of it. Every cheesy, self-gratifying, ridiculous, tears-inducing minute of it. This is my favorite tv show to watch all year, hands down. (And i watch a lot of TV.) I pretty much strong arm my co-workers to watch, and if they don't then they are treated to a complete rundown the next day, complete with show clips. Seriously, the only thing on my bucket list is to attend this event one day (preferably when Audra is honored.)

Gina Rodriguez was lovely. I want to put her in my pocket. Future EGOT LinManuel was spectacular also - they both made me choke up. Rita is the bomb - the only true living EGOT (she and Helen Hayes, I think) are only EGOTs with all 3 acting honors. No disrespect to Whoopi, Marvin Hamlisch or Bobby Lopez. (Babs is technically an EGOT but she got an "honorary" Oscar.) I like Karen Olivo, so I enjoyed the performance. Not gonna lie tho - I have no shame when it comes to this event, so I probably would have said Sofia Vergara talk-singing through I Feel Pretty was good. :-)) I *may have stood up in my living room and clapped when it was over....

Barbra  has 2 Oscars, one for song - Evergreen and one for acting - Funny Girl.   Her honorary award was her Tony.

Rita's EGOT is a EGOT in the truest sense imo.

Oscar for acting/sing role

Grammy for singing

Tony for acting/sing role

2 Emmys - a acting role and a music/comedic/variety role.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 2

I don't usually pay attention to the production details, but just a few minutes into the first segment I commented to Mrs. UncleChuck that something about the segment was different--not the same as I remembered from last year...and the year before...and the year before.

I said "Didn't they always have that same what'shisname guy producing and directing this show--forever?

As the show went on I was more and more convinced...til the final credits when sure enough--a new team running the show.  And I finally remembered "what'shisname" as George Stevens Jr. when he was credited as the creator of the Honors.

Too bad he's gone.  He always hired the most famous and respected peers of the honoree to do the presenting.  The new team doesn't care about that.  They have been sucked into the television trap of pandering to the "youth market" at the expense of respectability.

(she and Helen Hayes, I think) are only EGOTs with all 3 acting honors. 

A rare honor to be sure.  But Emmy-Grammy-Oscar-Tony is actually four (4) acting honors.

• Love 1

Barbra  has 2 Oscars, one for song - Evergreen and one for acting - Funny Girl.   Her honorary award was her Tony.

Rita's EGOT is a EGOT in the truest sense imo.

Oscar for acting/sing role

Grammy for singing

Tony for acting/sing role

2 Emmys - a acting role and a music/comedic/variety role.

Corrected! so sorry! You know, after that I was thinking - when did she wear that sheer outfit - wasn't she holding an Oscar? I should have researched further!

Corrected! so sorry! You know, after that I was thinking - when did she wear that sheer outfit - wasn't she holding an Oscar? I should have researched further!

Yeah she wore that when she won for  Funny Girl.

She tied with Katherine Hepburn.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

I don't usually pay attention to the production details, but just a few minutes into the first segment I commented to Mrs. UncleChuck that something about the segment was different--not the same as I remembered from last year...and the year before...and the year before.

I said "Didn't they always have that same what'shisname guy producing and directing this show--forever?

As the show went on I was more and more convinced...til the final credits when sure enough--a new team running the show.  And I finally remembered "what'shisname" as George Stevens Jr. when he was credited as the creator of the Honors.

Too bad he's gone.  He always hired the most famous and respected peers of the honoree to do the presenting.  The new team doesn't care about that.  They have been sucked into the television trap of pandering to the "youth market" at the expense of respectability.

Quote: (she and Helen Hayes, I think) are only EGOTs with all 3 acting honors.

A rare honor to be sure.  But Emmy-Grammy-Oscar-Tony is actually four (4) acting honors.

Sorry - what I meant was that she won the three that recognize acting as an actress. Meaning she won competitively in an actor category for EOT,  as opposed to Barbra who won as an actor in two of the awards competitions and then received an honorary one for the third acting award. (Or Whoopi or Mel Brooks - who won part of their grand slams for categories other than acting.) There are only 12 who have won it for all competitive categories (not lifetime achievement or honorary). Four more achieve EGOT if you add in their non-competitive awards. So only Rita and Helen Hayes have achieved the EOT portion of their EGOTS in competitive acting categories.

Edited by betsyboo
  • Love 1

Sorry - what I meant was that she won the three that recognize acting as an actress. Meaning she won competitively in an actor category for EOT,  as opposed to Barbra who won as an actor in two of the awards competitions and then received an honorary one for the third acting award. (Or Whoopi or Mel Brooks - who won part of their grand slams for categories other than acting.) There are only 12 who have won it for all competitive categories (not lifetime achievement or honorary). Four more achieve EGOT if you add in their non-competitive awards. So only Rita and Helen Hayes have achieved the EOT portion of their EGOTS in competitive acting categories.

I take it you are also not counting Audrey Hepburn's EGOT in this category because her Emmy win was for Outstanding Individual Achievement, Informational Programming?  She was arguably performing in Gardens of the World, but not acting, per se.

One of my friends lives in Berkeley, CA, and sometimes sees Rita Moreno out walking her dog(s).  :-)

A coworker just said that he didn't think Rita Moreno's breadth of work was enough to qualify for the KC Honors. Clearly he has already started his NYE drinking, since Rita has proven herself as a dramatic actress, singer, comic actress, and community leader- I'm exhausted just thinking of the work she's done. Later in the conversation he said that he thinks someone from early days of Saturday Night Live should be named soon, based essentially on longevity. (I'm not discounting the possibility of a Not Ready for Prime Time Player getting being honored, I just think that SNL/comedy career alone isn't enough.)

• Love 2

I take it you are also not counting Audrey Hepburn's EGOT in this category because her Emmy win was for Outstanding Individual Achievement, Informational Programming?  She was arguably performing in Gardens of the World, but not acting, per se.

Yes - sorry. Those Emmy people are very picky! Technically the win was for "documentary" so it wasn't considered acting. (Not saying she shouldn't be an EGOT twice over, just pointing out the stupid asterisk rules!)

Edited by betsyboo
  • Love 1

I'm not gonna lie, I had gotten kind of tired of Aretha being dragged out for various events in recent years, and I was especially peeved that they dragged her out to sing to the Pope.  She acted like she was tired, too.  Plus, I  just didn't see the need.  However, the show she put on last night was just...awesome and breathtaking and I've run out of adjectives.  I noticed that George Lucas's wife and Usher brushed away tears, and even President Obama looked like something was in his eye.  She brought it. Long Live the Queen!

Overall though, I thought the show was just ok.  I was moved that Cicely Tyson and Carole King were moved, and I appreciated the Yo Yo Ma tribute to Mr. Ozawa, but that's about all.  Something was just lacking.

One thing for sure is I hope they do a banging Eagles tribute next year.  

• Love 6

Kudos to the producers for a cool switcharoo. Expected to see John William conducting the Star Wars music for George Lucas. Instead he narrated Seiji Ozawa's bio, including Owawa conducting his ET score.

And, yes, Aretha is, and always will be, the bomb. The fur coat and sparkly clutch! Then, shedding the fur when the lights got too hot. Loved it!

And loved Carole King wearing her emotions on her sleeve. When they showed the photograph of her and her mother, she almost burst into tears.

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 6

Watching it On Demand, which means there's no escaping commercials.  Grrrr.  My expectations were low based on the last few years' events not blowing me away and some tepid comments here and elsewhere, but I thought the Moreno and Lucas segments were both pretty good.  Could have done without Desperado.  The Eagles will get their moment next year.  Cicely is up next.

As the show went on I was more and more convinced...til the final credits when sure enough--a new team running the show. And I finally remembered "what'shisname" as George Stevens Jr. when he was credited as the creator of the Honors.

Too bad he's gone. He always hired the most famous and respected peers of the honoree to do the presenting. The new team doesn't care about that. They have been sucked into the television trap of pandering to the "youth market" at the expense of respectability.

A rare honor to be sure. But Emmy-Grammy-Oscar-Tony is actually four (4) acting honors.

No, it's *3* acting honors, as originally stated. Grammys are awarded for the best performances in vocal & instrumental music. I don't believe that involves acting (at least not as I, or most others, would define "acting").

I thought the Rita's part sadly was pretty weak actually.   Gina was sweet and Lin - Manual Miranda can do no wrong but the performance of America was meh.

I think Gina gave a great speech--well. she ALWAYS does and this was no exception. Plus who knew she had such great cleavage? But yeah--the rest of the Rita stuff was kind of weak. Having Rosie Perez just ape Rita, and then what?  Was it a road tour doing a weak version of "America"?  It did no favors.

This seems to be lacking "energy". Usually the room seems so electric and you can feel everyone's excitement. Everything so far seems "flat".

As a whole perhaps, but we got a hella good Gospel number that seemed to raise the energy for a few minutes.

Aretha kind of saved the show. Heh, Carole looked so shocked when Aretha went Aretha.

The shock I read was at Aretha playing piano herself. I suppose in the back of my mind I remembered she does, but seeing her do it in a live performance was pretty damn rare.

And while her voice will never be what it was in her younger days... it was still pretty damn great that night.

As for Carole, I love how totally unpretentious her reactions were. She has the balls to sing along enthusiastically to her own songs, and you could see the honest joy on her face.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 7

I think Gina gave a great speech--well. she ALWAYS does and this was no exception. Plus who knew she had such great cleavage? But yeah--the rest of the Rita stuff was kind of weak. Having Rosie Perez just ape Rita, and then what?  Was it a road tour doing a weak version of "America"?  It did no favors.

I do agree it lacked some oomph - but it  was actually some of the cast from the 2009 Broadway show - the actress playing Anita won a Tony for Best Featured Actress. They translated some of the songs into Spanish for this production....that were done by Lin-Manuel. :-))

Grammys are awarded for the best performances in vocal & instrumental music. I don't believe that involves acting (at least not as I, or most others, would define "acting").

Not necessarily - among EGOT winners, Whoopi Goldberg and Mike Nichols won Grammys for Best Comedy Album, and Sir John Gielgud for Best Spoken Word Album.  So acting does come into it after all.

• Love 1

I do agree it lacked some oomph - but it  was actually some of the cast from the 2009 Broadway show - the actress playing Anita won a Tony for Best Featured Actress. They translated some of the songs into Spanish for this production....that were done by Lin-Manuel. :-))

I saw a road company of that version in Chicago a few years ago.  I don't know if there was overlap with the Broadway cast, but I was distinctly unimpressed by the voices of Maria and Tony.  Bernstein wrote a lot of high notes, and the singers should not be straining to reach them!

• Love 1
Grammys are awarded for the best performances in vocal & instrumental music. I don't believe that involves acting (at least not as I, or most others, would define "acting").

In addition to Crisopera's list, the 'spoken word album' category also now includes audiobooks, Hilliary Clinton has a Grammy, for instance.

During the King section, I laughed at the non-reaction of the crowd to the mention of "Smackwater Jack", which was....not one of Carole's big hits (it's on Tapestry, and was the B side of the single of "So Far Away"). Coincidentally, that tune popped up on my shuffle the other day, and got me thinking about how awful it is that it's still relevant, lyrically speaking. "You can't talk to a man/ with a shotgun in his hand." Indeed.

If you're like me, one or both of your hands involuntarily raised skyward when Aretha shed that coat. If ever "Yass Queen" could be better deployed, I seriously doubt.

• Love 5

If you're like me, one or both of your hands involuntarily raised skyward when Aretha shed that coat. If ever "Yass Queen" could be better deployed, I seriously doubt.

Oh yes - I did the full touchdown/double fist pump - "YESSSSSSSSSSSSS"

• Love 1

During the King section, I laughed at the non-reaction of the crowd to the mention of "Smackwater Jack", which was....not one of Carole's big hits (it's on Tapestry, and was the B side of the single of "So Far Away"). Coincidentally, that tune popped up on my shuffle the other day, and got me thinking about how awful it is that it's still relevant, lyrically speaking. "You can't talk to a man/ with a shotgun in his hand." Indeed.

When I think of that song I think of Quincy Jones's version, which I loved.  I have the "Tapestry" album and I remember buying it because I felt strange not having it back then.  I remember liking the songs but not her voice.  I think even she would admit that she's not the strongest or best singer.  So, while I liked the songs they were much better being done by someone else.

• Love 1

My own Tapestry memory...I got it when it came out (not sure how I knew about Carole King already, but I did) and it practically never left my turntable for six months.

It defined "singer-songwriter." Pretty much created the category.

(It certainly wasn't the first album to be performed by an artist who wrote the songs. But in terms of establishing the genre so that people thought of it as a "thing"--yeah, I think so.)

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 6

I liked that King is an alto, so all of her songs were in my vocal range.  ;-)  Like many of my contemporaries, I played Tapestry over and over and over in 1971.  Her voice is not "pretty" but then neither is Neil Diamond's, IMO, but I loved them both for their authenticity.

• Love 4

I won the Tapestry album when I was a freshman in high school and I played it endlessly. Still love those songs today. Carole King is one of the best singer/songwriters of all time.

Loved how excited Carole was to hear Aretha sing her song. Also special was Aretha playing the piano.

• Love 3

Milburn Stone, I think you are correct.  Joni Mitchell had released both Clouds and Ladies of the Canyon before then (1969 and 1970, respectively), but they didn't have the same impact as Tapestry

I think some of the difference was that Tapestry established that a songwriter could gather a bunch of studio musicians--not her own working band--and still produce a unified work that spoke with her voice. With Joni's earlier albums, when other musicians were present, the feeling was that it was still solo folk music being augmented by this or that instrumental color, rather than emerging from a group sound that expressed the artist as producer. (Regardless of who got producer credit on the albums.) I don't know, it's hard to explain, but that gets at it.

• Love 1

Heck, it TAKES an Aretha Franklin in this day and age to even wear dead animal pelts anymore. You have to have the combination of age, undeniable talent/rep and such to not even think about political correctness.

Not that I support furs per se, but I admire someone for being above pandering.

• Love 1

I liked that King is an alto, so all of her songs were in my vocal range.  ;-)  Like many of my contemporaries, I played Tapestry over and over and over in 1971.  Her voice is not "pretty" but then neither is Neil Diamond's, IMO, but I loved them both for their authenticity.

Both Brooklynites. Not a lot of artifice from us Brooklynites, at least not from the pre-hipster generation (interlopers!)

King's presentation was wonderfully done; I guess it helps to have an award-winning documentary of your life currently on Broadway. I love that she wore her heart on her sleeve throughout. Aretha can sometimes be too much for me, over-singing like crazy, and sometimes too little when the years show in her voice. This show? Amazing. I cringed at the fur but ultimately accepted it in full-Aretha context. What killed me in a good way was her toting her evening bag onstage. Who else but Aretha would waltz onstage with their purse?

I know nothing about classical music and have no idea what Yo-Yo Ma was playing, but it was absolutely transcendent. He practically had me in tears.

Gina Rodriguez's lovely intro aside, Rita's presentation was astonishingly lazy and listless (what an anemic performance of America!) for someone with such a vibrant, varied career. The Lucas presentation showed little imagination as well, and my intense dislike of the music from his films and disinterest in people dressed as storm troopers didn't help. Cicely's was lovely, warm, and dignified, beautifully reflecting the woman herself.

• Love 3

Since my mom now stays with me during the holidays our tradition is to watch this on New Year's Day while eating bagels and drinking mimosas.

She was gleeful during Carole King's tribute.

• Love 4

"Anyone else think when Aretha walked out 'What, no hat?'"

I did!. But, what with the sparkly clutch and the full length fur, a hat might have been a little over-the-top:)

Edited by wonderwoman
  • Love 2

"Anyone else think when Aretha walked out 'What, no hat?'"

I did!. But, what with the sparkly clutch and the full length fur, a hat might have been a little over-the-top:)

Yeah I'm sure that's exactly what Aretha was thinking!

Okay, not really. I don't think she knows the concept of over-the-topness even exists. It's all under the top for her taste, I think.

Didn't Caroline Kennedy used to introduce the show at the beginning? Or perhaps just a segment in the middle? Maybe I blinked, but I didn't see her. I always liked her being there. It was a symbol that this is more than your typical Hollywood awards show.

• Love 1

Yes, Caroline Kennedy used to introduce--& I think close--the show. And no, she hasn't done it since she took the post of US Ambassador to Japan a couple of years ago. I would assume her diplomatic duties would now be more important than "representing the family name" at the KCH gala.

Unless she's somehow replaced as US Ambassador to Japan before the end of this year, I wouldn't necessarily expect her to attend the gala this December either. President Obama--under whose Administration she was appointed to the post--will still be in office then (granted, he'll be in the last month or so of his term, but he doesn't turn the White House over to the next Administration until January 20, 2017), & she'll presumably still be US Ambassador to Japan at least through the end of his Administration, if not into the next if the incoming President has her/she decides to stay on (which could be possible even if the Republicans win, but I'm not positive; I assume there's a better chance of her remaining Ambassador, though, if the Democrats stay in power).

I know nothing about classical music and have no idea what Yo-Yo Ma was playing, but it was absolutely transcendent. He practically had me in tears.

My husband is a musician (band director/performing arts department head by day, community performer in his rare spare time) and he was sitting in the next room while I watched and kept saying things like "he's got such a talent for using vibrato in this piece" and I just made noncommittal noises so that he didn't realize that I had nothing to contribute to the conversation. I just like to listen.

• Love 2

I'm wondering if the decision by the Eagles to postpone their being honored is now regretted. Nothing to be done about it now, certainly, but I feel kind of bad that Glenn Frey didn't get to wear his rainbow medallion. 

• Love 1

Given what I've read about the chronology of his health issues, there was simply no way he could attend the Kennedy Center Honors ceremony on Dec. 6.

The Eagles were to have been recognized with a 2015 Kennedy Center Honor in December, but in November the band requested that it be put off until “all four Eagles — Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit — can attend.”

At the time, Frey had a flare-up of intestinal problems he’d struggled with for years, Azoff said, and was hospitalized with plans for surgery. But he developed pneumonia and never was strong enough to undergo that procedure.

• Love 2

Kudos to the producers for a cool switcharoo. Expected to see John William conducting the Star Wars music for George Lucas. Instead he narrated Seiji Ozawa's bio, including Owawa conducting his ET score.

And, yes, Aretha is, and always will be, the bomb. The fur coat and sparkly clutch! Then, shedding the fur when the lights got too hot. Loved it!

And loved Carole King wearing her emotions on her sleeve. When they showed the photograph of her and her mother, she almost burst into tears.

I read an interview with her that was done a while after the jukebox musical of her songs came out, talking about why she struggled to be involved with the production or to go see it. She mentioned that she has gone several times incognito and that one of the parts that really got to her emotionally was the scene of her with her mother. 

Gina Rodriguez's lovely intro aside, Rita's presentation was astonishingly lazy and listless (what an anemic performance of America!) for someone with such a vibrant, varied career. The Lucas presentation showed little imagination as well, and my intense dislike of the music from his films and disinterest in people dressed as storm troopers didn't help. Cicely's was lovely, warm, and dignified, beautifully reflecting the woman herself.

I couldn't help being disappointed with the same few clips they showed over and over from Rita's work - I was hoping to see a bit of The Four Seasons, one of my favorite movies she was in. The tribute still worked for me, mostly because of Gina Rodriguez (and I didn't mind Rosie Perez), but the America performance was definitely lackluster.

I was most let down by the Cicely Tyson tribute. Unless she requested him I have no idea why Tyler Perry was chosen to do the intro. He felt false and self-important, and I thought his lethargic narration severely undercut the power of her career and life story. And the amount of clips of her work in his movies also rankled me. 

I read an interview with her that was done a while after the jukebox musical of her songs came out, talking about why she struggled to be involved with the production or to go see it. She mentioned that she has gone several times incognito and that one of the parts that really got to her emotionally was the scene of her with her mother. 

I couldn't help being disappointed with the same few clips they showed over and over from Rita's work - I was hoping to see a bit of The Four Seasons, one of my favorite movies she was in. The tribute still worked for me, mostly because of Gina Rodriguez (and I didn't mind Rosie Perez), but the America performance was definitely lackluster.

I was most let down by the Cicely Tyson tribute. Unless she requested him I have no idea why Tyler Perry was chosen to do the intro. He felt false and self-important, and I thought his lethargic narration severely undercut the power of her career and life story. And the amount of clips of her work in his movies also rankled me. 

I love the Four seasons.

• Love 1