Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Kennedy Center Honors (CBS) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/6/2019 at 9:09 PM, chitowngirl said:

This airs Sunday December 15 on CBS. Has it ever aired before Christmas before?

I wondered the same.  Is there a reason they changed it?

Watchmen is getting my live viewing tonight, but I’ll still DVR the KCH.  I’m really looking forward to the Sesame Street tribute.  

Did Maura Tierney, Pierce Brosnan, and Tom Hanks get a chance to rehearse because I swear their eyes never left the teleprompter and it sounded like they were seeing those words for the very first time. You would never know that they had actually met her, much less worked with her.

Edited by chitowngirl
  • Love 5

I've loved MTT since I was a kid watching him do the Young People's Concerts.  And who doesn't love Audra!!!  This is the best segment so far.  And he seems to happy to be there, it's lovely!

ETA: And can I admit now that I had no idea that The Carpenters' song Sing was from Sesame Street.  Because I'm old enough for the Young Peoples' Concerts, I'm too old for Sesame Street...

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 6

It's hard to believe it's been a year since Carol King was honored.....never mind. That was several years ago. Man, time flies! 

I watched tonight especially for Linda, Sally and EW&F.  Great show, imo.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 4

I loved the Linda Rondstadt tribute, and even though I'm much too old for Sesame Street, their tribute got me teary eyed.   I had no idea so many famous people appeared on that show. 

I also liked the MTT tribute.  Audra!

The Sally Field one was nice, but kinda meh.  I didn't realize that Kevin Kline was so....dry.

So far, I'm kinda disappointed in the E W & F tribute and I was looking forward to this one the most.  I mean, John Legend and Cynthia Orivia were good but still underwhelming.  The Fucking Jonas Brothers???  Oh hell no!  

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 9

I enjoyed the wrap-up, especially "September" one of my favorite songs by EW&F(my daughter was born in Sept. 🙂  I was even impressed by the Jonas Brothers, Ne-Yo & of course I always enjoy John Legend.  I had never heard Cynthia Errivo sing before but she was terrific.  I always get a kick out of seeing DC types clapping & dancing in their seats 🙂

• Love 7

I got misty eyed during the Linda Ronstandt tribute. That was one singer my dad was genuinely nuts about and we always had her records playing.

The Sally Field tribute seemed so rushed. It did get me thinking how much harder it must be to do a tribute in this format if you aren't going to rely on music.

Sesame Street was sweet. I definitely remember "Sing a Song."

MTT was awesome as has been said.

I have to admit I was laughing at the choice of Jonas Brothers for Earth, Wind, and Fire? Really?  Having said that, they were decent. I thought the finale performance of September was too rushed and a bit lacking, though. 

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Ohwell said:

Yeah, at least they ended it right with September.  I love Tom and Rita!

This!  They were a pleasure to watch.  

All in all, an okay evening.  The pacing was a little off.  And so many people seemed to have skipped rehearsal and were reading the teleprompter for the very first time.  I'm glad I didn't spend the money and time going down there to see in in person.  

• Love 5

They spoke about Linda's Parkinson diagnosis and later announced that one member of EW&F died with Parkinsons in 2016....so sad. She recently said that her diagnosis has been changed from Parkinsons, but, it's another neuro condition that is just as devastating.

10 minutes ago, vb68 said:

The Sally Field tribute seemed so rushed. It did get me thinking how much harder it must be to do a tribute in this format if you aren't going to rely on music.

Yes, I think tributes without music are more difficult to pull off.  Also, I don't think Kevin Kline helped matters with his stiff, dry delivery.

• Love 5

I enjoyed it but Tom trying to get the crowd to do the wave was made of win. I wanted to like the Earth, Wind and Fire tribute but it carried so many memories of my late friend that I found myself missing him more...I weirdly enjoyed the Sesame Street one the most. I grew up on it and the fact that it debuted a year before I was born makes me feel old...so old...

• Love 6

If things had been different, it might have been Robin Williams as one of the presenters for Sally Field instead of Pierce Brosnan -- I think some of you guys mixed up him and Kevin Kline because Kevin presented for Linda not Sally. Anyway, that would have been awesome.

The Sesame Street tribute was everything.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I think some of you guys mixed up him and Kevin Kline because Kevin presented for Linda not Sally. Anyway, that would have been awesome.

Ok, thanks.  I was one of those people who got it mixed up.  So Kevin presented for Linda.  He was still dry and stiff though, lol.

• Love 2

I FLOVED Trish Yearwood's singing and her duet. She really is close to Ronstadt's sound, but still in her own raw, energetic, gorgeous tones.

I'm sorry but Carrie Underwood's version of Blue Bayou was a snooze. She is a robot...technically perfect, but boring. Sorry.  Plus she's everywhere and I'm tired of her.  I like the new blood coming up in country, guys and gals. 

The Flor de Tocoales were beautiful, amazing musicians and those long notes! !!!!! Wow!  Just incredible. I'm going to buy their music. 

Linda is a goddess. 

She deserves so much appreciation and love and honor for her talented voice, acting, demeanor, and universality. Can't wait for her doc/ special in January. 

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, Tosia said:

The Flor de Tocoales were beautiful, amazing musicians and those long notes! !!!!! Wow!  Just incredible. I'm going to buy their music. 

I had never heard of them before, but they were marvelous!  I'd love to see more of them.

31 minutes ago, Tosia said:

I'm sorry but Carrie Underwood's version of Blue Bayou was a snooze. She is a robot...technically perfect, but boring. Sorry.  Plus she's everywhere and I'm tired of her.  I like the new blood coming up in country, guys and gals. 

I agree about Carrie Underwood.  Yes, she can sing but I've always thought she was kind of wooden.  

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

If things had been different, it might have been Robin Williams as one of the presenters for Sally Field instead of Pierce Brosnan -- I think some of you guys mixed up him and Kevin Kline because Kevin presented for Linda not Sally. Anyway, that would have been awesome

Kevin Kline could also have presented for Sally Field since they were in Soapdish together - a really funny movie.  I love Kevin Kline, dry wit and all. I got to see Pirates in Central Park.  It was splendid!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Tosia said:

I FLOVED Trish Yearwood's singing and her duet. She really is close to Ronstadt's sound, but still in her own raw, energetic, gorgeous tones.

Linda is a goddess. 

She deserves so much appreciation and love and honor for her talented voice, acting, demeanor, and universality. Can't wait for her doc/ special in January. 

Love your whole post, but especially this!  I could not believe they had Carrie sing a Linda song.  She has a beautiful voice, but not gutsy or funky enough for Linda’s music.  Like you, I am tired of her — and that may be more her publicist’s fault than hers, as I’m sure she’s a nice person.

After Trisha sang, I could read Linda’s lips saying “I love her!”

• Love 6

Back to the Earth, Wind & Fire tribute:  I think they deserved much better singers and I'm bummed about that.  John Legend is the only one who I thought was good singing ""Can't Hide Love" (and I don't even like him that much).  NeYo's voice is too thin, he's got smooth moves but that's about it.  Cynthia Errivo was just ok but I wasn't blown away.  I still don't know why they thought the Jonas Brothers was a good idea. 

So singing-wise, I think Linda definitely got the best tribute.  Good for her and I loved seeing how pleased she was. 

• Love 7

I thought Carrie did a great job. With a tribute,  the singer needs to be able to sing the songs better than ok. Since, Linda's voice is off the scale awesome, there aren't many who could fit the bill. Carrie and Trisha are two. It's funny, I have as my favorite female vocalists of all time. They are: Linda, Carrie, Trisha, Martina McBride, Celine Dion, and Whitney.

Linda is one if my best friends.......in my mind. Lol

• Love 3

I started to tear up when Emmylou started speaking directly to Linda, calling her "my sister" and clearly starting to choke up herself. She knows as well or better than almost anyone else what gift to the world is now lost forever (although it will never be lost as long as we have Linda's songs and albums). 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

OMG....This is absolutely shameful.   

They took some graphics off the internet apparently, and one of Linda's album titles was changed to "rollerskate hooker."  Not kidding.

You gotta be kidding me. How the hell does that get through?

At a bare minimum, a public apology is warranted. 

WHAT THE FUCK?

The album, of course, for those who don't know, is Living in the USA:

livingintheusa.jpg

Edited by UYI
  • Love 2

Most happy for Joan Baez and Dick Van Dyke. It's a long overdue honor for both of them, honestly.

This may be unpopular, but I really feel Garth Brooks could have waited for awhile. There's a long list of aging people that I would like to receive this honor before it's too late.

• Love 7

From the article linked above:

“Linda Ronstadt sitting there makes all the sense in the world. James Taylor sitting there makes all the sense in the world,”[Brooks] said. “I don’t think of myself as an influence.”

I don't follow country music.  Is Garth Brooks considered influential?

26 minutes ago, Inquisitionist said:

I don't follow country music.  Is Garth Brooks considered influential?

He influences me to change the station post haste.

He had a significant impact on the genre, certainly (and unfortunately, IMO).  How much his influence is still felt, I can't properly speak to; I listened to less and less country starting around 2000. 

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Bastet said:

He had a significant impact on the genre, certainly (and unfortunately, IMO).  How much his influence is still felt, I can't properly speak to; I listened to less and less country starting around 2000. 

Didn't he also have a very lengthy sabbatical where he was (for all intents and purposes) retired and raising his family?  Which is completely fine, and I can understand and respect that. But it makes receiving what is viewed as a "Lifetime Career Achievement" award as a still relatively younger performer seem rather dubious.

On another note, Dick Van Dyke finally receiving the award reminds me once again that Mary Tyler Moore was never honored. That's a pretty glaring omission.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 7
On 1/13/2021 at 7:40 PM, ebk57 said:

This year's KC Honorees.

A good group.  I hope they can make the celebrations work. 

Ugh on Debbie Allen. As with her sister Phylicia Rashad suddenly falling into a lucrative position with Howard University, I'm still waiting on Allen to actually start being honest about Bill Cosby before she gets further lauding and honors. 

And gee, isn't the show going to be a bit awkward dancing around the significant role Bill Cosby had on her life and career? 

• Love 1

I'd watch just for Joan Baez but getting to see Dick Van Dyke as well makes me happy.  

“Because of covid, children are stuck at home and I’ve developed a whole new fan club,” Van Dyke said. “It’s just fun to be recognized at the market by a 5-year-old.”

I was about 5 or so when I fell under his spell, not sure if I saw him first in Mary Poppins or The Dick Van Dyke Show, either way I've been a fan ever since.

• Love 12

I just read the Dick Van Dyke interview in the Washington Post this week.  It's so touching to see him so alive and active at 95.  And the tributes from various co-workers were great to read.  So glad that he is being honored.

I had known that Van Dyke befriended Stan Laurel in his last years but didn't know that he was also friends with Buster Keaton.  As a huge Buster fan it warms my heart.

• Love 6