Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Ginormous pregnancy and WHINY Scully...

Ok, I think I hit the episode where I would have been fine if they just ended the show.  "Deadalive" should have been the final episode.  Mulder got returned with his dry wit in tact, Scully is pregnant and happy that Mulder is back and her baby will supposedly be a healthy human and will have a father in his life.  What could possibly still be needed in this show to have a season and a half left?  Because I think at the real end, the alien baby is gone and M & S are fugitives and have to lose their jobs and hide away from the world. God, that's actually depressing!

Ok, I think I hit the episode where I would have been fine if they just ended the show.  "Deadalive" should have been the final episode.  Mulder got returned with his dry wit in tact, Scully is pregnant and happy that Mulder is back and her baby will supposedly be a healthy human and will have a father in his life.  What could possibly still be needed in this show to have a season and a half left?  Because I think at the real end, the alien baby is gone and M & S are fugitives and have to lose their jobs and hide away from the world. God, that's actually depressing!

I like S8 better now in retrospect than I did when it was airing. I was really okay with S7 being the final season.  

Regardless, I thought S8 ended strong even though there were at least two episodes I could have done without--"Empedocles" and "Alone."  (I found "Alone" really to be a cloying, obnoxious mess and yes, I do understand the whole fan service point of the episode.)  

Essence and Existence were a really thrilling bookend to the season, though, and even though at the end of S7 it seemed doubtful there would (or should) be further seasons, the last two episodes nailed it.  And the end of "Existence" is absolutely, truly where the show should have ended.  S9 just seemed like needless character assassination for both Mulder and Scully.  

• Love 1

Season 8 or I Love John Doggett. I used to blow him kisses. I probably still will. I both loved this season and watched it with flames on the side of my face.

Within/Without: It was love at first sight y'all. I make no apologies. Doggett reminds me of my husband. I did blow him a kiss when he and Scully were sitting on the bench. I knew he was about to get the water in the face. I always feel bad for poor Gibson. Mulder has some brain thing? I feel the flames starting.

Roadrunners: At least the freaky deaky wasn't in Tennessee this time. Scully was pretty badass in this one except for when she gave that guy her gun. We'll just chalk that up to pregnancy brain. Doggett was kickass too, cutting that freakworm out and then shooting it. Then he carried her out. Swoon. Can't help it, I ship it. GA could have chemistry with a dead rat.

Invocation: It's a blue eyed stare off. Scully telling Doggett that he was breaking the law. Let me pause for a moment. Bwah ha ha ha

Redrum: I love Doggett's house. He's a reader.

Via Negativa: Holtz! This one's all weird and trippy. I likes it. Damn, RP is so good. He looks so freaked out and scared it's freaking me out. <3

Surekill/ Salvage: Boring. Fell asleep during Salvage. At least there's pretty to look at although I have a hard time deciding where to look. 

Badlaa: Who thought this shit up? Regardless, It's a great Scully episode. She seemed so uncomfortable with her theories throughout the episode and then at the end when she realizes she can't be Mulder. GA was great.

Essence and Existence were a really thrilling bookend to the season, though, and even though at the end of S7 it seemed doubtful there would (or should) be further seasons, the last two episodes nailed it.  And the end of "Existence" is absolutely, truly where the show should have ended.  S9 just seemed like needless character assassination for both Mulder and Scully.

Yes, I agree, I wish Season 8 would have been the end. I never watched season 9 except for the last 4 eps and I'm hesitant to watch it now. I know that there are at least a few good Doggett episodes and I do want to see them so I shall watch it. I'm sure I'll be sorry later.

On to the Mulder half of season 8.

• Love 2

I do think I don't mind Doggett and Reyes. They are fine and I love Doggett's speaking voice. I totally underestimate how much I love Mulder or David Duchovny because despite me loving Scully/GA so much in seasons 1-5, when I saw all the flashbacks of Mulder in Season 8 before he really returned, I couldn't help the grin of happiness just seeing him and hearing his voice talk to Scully again on the show. So I guess I just can't without Mulder. Season 9 might be slow to get through...

The Gift: This episode was awesome,gross,sad. You know I could have gone along with this brain disease being something caused by what CSM did to Mulder but Mulder not telling Scully for a year or her not thinking something was wrong? Nope. The flames are licking at my ear.

Medusa: Geez, Agent Doggett walking around all hot and sweaty in those tunnels. I can definitely watch that for 40 minutes. It seems like Scully might be starting to accept Doggett as a partner, but not enough. She still doesn't tell him she's preggo.

Per Manum: You know, I don't know what to say about this one. We find out why she didn't tell Doggett she's pregnant, but I still wish she would have.  She makes me sad being so worried about her baby and worrying about Mulder still and she doesn't accept she's got a partner there to help her. And then Doggett's confusion about everything. The whole thing just makes me sad and then I've still got these next two episodes coming.

This is not Happening: I used to be if not the president, than at least the treasurer of the I Hate Moronica Club. I don't know y'all, I'm not really feeling the hate anymore. I must be mellowing in my old age. We'll see how long this lasts.

DeadAlive: I love the last M/S scene in the hospital in a it's one of my favorite scenes ever kind of way. How can I be so happy for Scully getting her Mulder back and feel so sad for Doggett? Poor Boo. So conflicted. They all make my heart hurt.

I think I need to go watch these episodes again and then take some time off.

• Love 1

The Gift - Didn't happen.  It was all a setup to try to get Scully to give up on Mulder.  That's what I choose to believe.

Moronica - I've mellowed toward her myself.  I appreciate that she's genuinely a good friend to Scully.

Doggett - love him.

The Gift - Didn't happen.  It was all a setup to try to get Scully to give up on Mulder.  That's what I choose to believe.

Well now, that's a fine way of looking at it. There were a lot of things in this series that didn't make sense and for many of them I was like, eh. But not the brain disease thing. Made no damn sense.

• Love 1

While watching this season I've been reading Jessica's TWoP recaps again. I forgot about Skinner and Doggett and the love that dare not speak its name. Poor Skinner. Between Scully, Krycek, and Doggett, what's an assistant director of the FBI to do?

I don't think I am as mad about the who's the daddy stuff as I was back then, time and all,  but I still think "For fuck's sake can somebody just have a normal conversation!" The flames still singed off an eyebrow though.

Three Words: You know, there have been times I wanted to slap Mulder upside the head for being an ass, but this episode isn't one of them. He comes back, everything is different, he doesn't want to trust Doggett and I get that. He hasn't seen what we've seen. He's always been a prickly sort and it's just amped way up in this episode because of what he's been through. On the shallow side, jeans, jackets, scars. Mmmm...

Empodocles: This episode is an interesting one. It seems in some parts like it's trying to tell us what to think. Scully saying she likes Moronica and telling Mulder that helping Doggett is worth the effort. This is something I usually rebel against but I don't mind it here because we have some interesting dynamics going on with the different characters. I particularly liked Mulder and Moronica together. Instead of pissing me off, I actually loved the awkward 'are you the husband' hospital scene. (I know that's an UO, I should just toddle on over to the UO thread and take up residence there). The whole episode reads awkward (including the pizza man stuff), especially the M/D/R scenes which at the time I think is what the viewers were feeling. I also see Doggett hanging around in Scully's hospital room as not stalker-y and more of a gravity kind of way. She is the sun they all revolve around.

Vienen: I'll just be commenting on this episode from the shallow end of the pool. Don't mind me. I think I ship Mulder and Doggett working together as much as I do Scully and Doggett. I ship everybody! I'm as flaky as Moronica. In summery: Running around on oil rigs = good.

Alone: The theme of this one is acceptance.

Essence/Existence: Beginning: Hated the shower scene. Middle- At one point there are too many good looking people in one room. Something should be catching on fire. End- Was a good ending. Would have been a good show ending.

On to season 9. I'm actually feeling anxiety about this. Should I watch it? I love season 8 and I've read that season 9 pretty much taints season 8 retroactively.

Edited by festivus

While watching this season I've been reading Jessica's TWoP recaps again. I forgot about Skinner and Doggett and the love that dare not speak its name. Poor Skinner. Between Scully, Krycek, and Doggett, what's an assistant director of the FBI to do?

I don't think I am as mad about the who's the daddy stuff as I was back then, time and all, but I still think "For fuck's sake can somebody just have a normal conversation!" The flames still singed off an eyebrow though.

Three Words: You know, there have been times I wanted to slap Mulder upside the head for being an ass, but this episode isn't one of them. He comes back, everything is different, he doesn't want to trust Doggett and I get that. He hasn't seen what we've seen. He's always been a prickly sort and it's just amped way up in this episode because of what he's been through. On the shallow side, jeans, jackets, scars. Mmmm...

Empodocles: This episode is an interesting one. It seems in some parts like it's trying to tell us what to think. Scully saying she likes Moronica and telling Mulder that helping Doggett is worth the effort. This is something I usually rebel against but I don't mind it here because we have some interesting dynamics going on with the different characters. I particularly liked Mulder and Moronica together. Instead of pissing me off, I actually loved the awkward 'are you the husband' hospital scene. (I know that's an UO, I should just toddle on over to the UO thread and take up residence there). The whole episode reads awkward (including the pizza man stuff), especially the M/D/R scenes which at the time I think is what the viewers were feeling. I also see Doggett hanging around in Scully's hospital room as not stalker-y and more of a gravity kind of way. She is the sun they all revolve around.

Vienen: I'll just be commenting on this episode from the shallow end of the pool. Don't mind me. I think I ship Mulder and Doggett working together as much as I do Scully and Doggett. I ship everybody! I'm as flaky as Moronica. In summery: Running around on oil rigs = good.

Alone: The theme of this one is acceptance.

Essence/Existence: Beginning: Hated the shower scene. Middle- At one point there are too many good looking people in one room. Something should be catching on fire. End- Was a good ending. Would have been a good show ending.

On to season 9. I'm actually feeling anxiety about this. Should I watch it? I love season 8 and I've read that season 9 pretty much taints season 8 retroactively.

I didn't mind season 8 after all the apprehension I had about it so I'm currently approaching season 9 the same way. I thought at first it wasn't going to kick off for me because even the opening credits seemed wrong and the music was tweaked after 8 years of being the same! But then they had Lucy Lawless in the two parter and she used to be one of my "girl crushes" along with GA so it was fun seeing those two sharing a scene or two together! And Scully looks beautiful once again to me, like seasons 3-5. Her hair is a good length now (shallow, lol). And so far, the stand alone episodes haven't been insufferable, but I don't think Scully has started the crying every episode yet either? Anyway, not too season 8 related, but you know it's not as bad as I was thinking based on these threads .... So far.... imo. Meet you in the season 9 thread after I'm done? Haha Edited by Baby Button Eyes

I think I ship Mulder and Doggett working together as much as I do Scully and Doggett. I ship everybody! I'm as flaky as Moronica. 

This literally had me LOL for like five minutes.

Regarding S9:  I try to look at it the way a poster a long time ago suggested, as The NeXt Files -- a spinoff show loosely based on the characters we loved for eight years, where Scully and Skinner make appearances, but with the focus on Doggett and Monica rather than Mulder (*sniff*) and Scully.  Treat The Truth like a mini-movie to wrap things up and it works.  Sort of.

• Love 1

So I am about halfway through Season 8 - I had only seen a couple of episodes before (Surekill and Badlaa, and boy, I am now realizing that I picked two bad episodes to watch back in 2000, which explains why I didn't watch the rest of the season).

Like many, I suspect, I do like the Doggett character - I like Robert Patrick, and I like that they delineated his character as very different from either Mulder and Scully. But yes, watching these episodes makes one realize how much the chemistry between GA and DD really carried the show.  (I kept imagining what Badlaa would have been like had Mulder been there - I mean, again, the episode would not have been good but at least we would have gotten some good one-liners).  The other thing I realized is how much, as the viewer, we really depended on Mulder to help explain what was going on.  I would have had a much better sense of what was going on in Invocation, for instance, if Mulder had been there.

That being said, I also agree with those who feel like Season 8 gets a bad wrap (at least, so far).  Roadrunners, Via Negativa, Redrum are all pretty good.  Still, I am looking forward to Mulder's return.

• Love 3
(edited)

Re Per Manum and the timeline wonkiness (note, per usual, I realize these are issues that never to be resolved). My question is this - isn't it possible that the flashbacks we see in Per Manum don't all take place during the same short time period?

To wit: isn't it possible that the conversation that M&S have in the elevator about her stolen ova could take place before Christmas Carol/Emily? I mean, we never actually saw how it is that both Mulder and Scully know that she is infertile until then, so why can't that conversation have taken place then?  And then, at some point several months down the road, why can't Scully have approached Mulder about being the father? (Plus, going through the whole IVF process itself takes some time). I am just not sure why we have to believe that all of those flashback scenes took place all at the same time.

I also watched This Is Not Happening last night. (My first time seeing it). It's truly brutal.

ETA: Also, for whatever reason, Mulder's brain thing doesn't bother me. I think that this is the benefit of not having watched these seasons originally, so I don't have any residual feelings about any of these episodes.  I really loved The Gift as an episode, thought it was a really strong story with a strong performance by Robert Patrick.  And since I know the brain disease resolves itself, it didn't really interfere with my enjoyment of the episode.

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
12 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

Re Per Manum and the timeline wonkiness (note, per usual, I realize these are issues that never to be resolved). My question is this - isn't it possible that the flashbacks we see in Per Manum don't all take place during the same short time period?

To wit: isn't it possible that the conversation that M&S have in the elevator about her stolen ova could take place before Christmas Carol/Emily? I mean, we never actually saw how it is that both Mulder and Scully know that she is infertile until then, so why can't that conversation have taken place then?  And then, at some point several months down the road, why can't Scully have approached Mulder about being the father? (Plus, going through the whole IVF process itself takes some time). I am just not sure why we have to believe that all of those flashback scenes took place all at the same time.

I also watched This Is Not Happening last night. (My first time seeing it). It's truly brutal.

ETA: Also, for whatever reason, Mulder's brain thing doesn't bother me. I think that this is the benefit of not having watched these seasons originally, so I don't have any residual feelings about any of these episodes.  I really loved The Gift as an episode, thought it was a really strong story with a strong performance by Robert Patrick.  And since I know the brain disease resolves itself, it didn't really interfere with my enjoyment of the episode.

I don't think they do take place all at the same time, but I also don't think they can be as spread out so much that it covers a span of years and I think the show wanted us to think that Scully's "last chance" could have plausibly fit into her present pregnancy timeline.  Then again, I don't think we ever know how many ova were saved / recovered and so I guess she could have gone through that cycle of failure more than once.  (Although don't they pretty much stop you from trying more than three times to implant? Never mind it being ungodly expensive after awhile.)

14 hours ago, baileythedog said:

I don't think they do take place all at the same time, but I also don't think they can be as spread out so much that it covers a span of years and I think the show wanted us to think that Scully's "last chance" could have plausibly fit into her present pregnancy timeline.  Then again, I don't think we ever know how many ova were saved / recovered and so I guess she could have gone through that cycle of failure more than once.  (Although don't they pretty much stop you from trying more than three times to implant? Never mind it being ungodly expensive after awhile.)

I was mostly thinking that the initial conversation in the elevator could have taken place far before the IVF.  I keep seeing complaints that said conversation was redundant because of what Mulder told the judge in Emily but I am just saying, perhaps that conversation took place before Christmas Carol. In fact, maybe that explains why Scully seems so out of sorts in Christmas Carol.

With regard to the rest of it, I can believe that it took place sometime near the end of season 6 and through season 7.

5 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I was mostly thinking that the initial conversation in the elevator could have taken place far before the IVF.  I keep seeing complaints that said conversation was redundant because of what Mulder told the judge in Emily but I am just saying, perhaps that conversation took place before Christmas Carol. In fact, maybe that explains why Scully seems so out of sorts in Christmas Carol.

With regard to the rest of it, I can believe that it took place sometime near the end of season 6 and through season 7.

Possibly, but I don't think the elevator conversation could have taken TOO much long before the IVF actually began. I don't think Scully waited too long to get that Ova rushed to her doctor and then that Dr. Parenti basically told her that the needed to get started pretty quickly.  

Anyway, I think it's another timeline that the writers weren't too careful with, along with Scully's 13 month pregnancy.  Obviously because they were writing it in S8 and trying to retrofit entirely new concepts into the show. I mean, really, the fact that we see absolutely zero hint of an emotional fallout due to the fact that M&S actively tried to have a baby and failed at it is pretty inexcusable.  And certainly because the whole IVF is just a red herring anyway.

(edited)

I finished Season 8 over the weekend - to me, that final run of episodes is pretty strong. Again, because I never watched these episodes in real time, I have no real preconceptions about them.

I feel like there was only one real episode with the played around with the idea that Mulder might not think he's William's father and that was in "Three Words," where it's understandable that he's feeling really disoriented after being dead for three months, and tortured for a number of months before that. (God, Mulder's life really sucks, doesn't it).  But everything after that feels like a total confirmation of his fatherhood, from the doll he brings Scully in Empedocles to (of course) the lamaze class scene.  It's also interesting that we essentially don't see Mulder in apartment 42 after Three Words - all of the domestic scenes from then on out are at Scully's apartment - especially since Mulder's apartment was the place we used to see them together the most. I guess that was supposed to shift us from thinking of Mulder as the show's central character.  Anyway, I get why people were mad about the ambiguity of William's paternity but it felt like this was another case where DD and GA were playing it one way while the script was being more ambiguous.

I've also decided that after Requiem and Essence/Existence, you can't really be too hard on CC and the writers for The Truth.  After writing two pretty good episode arcs on which to "end" the show, they were forced to yet again write another series finale, and honestly, there are only so many times you can do that.  And that's why I am not going to give him a hard time for My Struggle II (which I liked even independent of the cliff hanger) because the guy knows the drill here - at this point, he can only pretend to end the adventures of Mulder and Scully so many times.

Edited by eleanorofaquitaine
23 hours ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

I finished Season 8 over the weekend - to me, that final run of episodes is pretty strong. Again, because I never watched these episodes in real time, I have no real preconceptions about them.

I feel like there was only one real episode with the played around with the idea that Mulder might not think he's William's father and that was in "Three Words," where it's understandable that he's feeling really disoriented after being dead for three months, and tortured for a number of months before that. (God, Mulder's life really sucks, doesn't it).  But everything after that feels like a total confirmation of his fatherhood, from the doll he brings Scully in Empedocles to (of course) the lamaze class scene.  It's also interesting that we essentially don't see Mulder in apartment 42 after Three Words - all of the domestic scenes from then on out are at Scully's apartment - especially since Mulder's apartment was the place we used to see them together the most. I guess that was supposed to shift us from thinking of Mulder as the show's central character.  Anyway, I get why people were mad about the ambiguity of William's paternity but it felt like this was another case where DD and GA were playing it one way while the script was being more ambiguous.

I've also decided that after Requiem and Essence/Existence, you can't really be too hard on CC and the writers for The Truth.  After writing two pretty good episode arcs on which to "end" the show, they were forced to yet again write another series finale, and honestly, there are only so many times you can do that.  And that's why I am not going to give him a hard time for My Struggle II (which I liked even independent of the cliff hanger) because the guy knows the drill here - at this point, he can only pretend to end the adventures of Mulder and Scully so many times.

Having re-watched the season again at some point after the original series, William's paternity was far less ambiguous than what I had previously remembered.  There are plenty of obvious clues both in the text and the subtext that speak to this. The very first cold open to the season is Scully's nightmare of Mulder being tied to something that looks like an umbilical cord. 

Beyond that, Essence / Existence was thrillingly paced and wrapped up the X-Files story and certainly Mulder and Scully's story well. Even though at the time the 8th season was pretty much an unexpected gift of a season, it should have ended there.  And without all that contract drama, it would have for both DD and GA. The 9th season only served to undue much of the goodwill that S8 earned.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, baileythedog said:

Having re-watched the season again at some point after the original series, William's paternity was far less ambiguous than what I had previously remembered.  There are plenty of obvious clues both in the text and the subtext that speak to this. The very first cold open to the season is Scully's nightmare of Mulder being tied to something that looks like an umbilical cord. 

Beyond that, Essence / Existence was thrillingly paced and wrapped up the X-Files story and certainly Mulder and Scully's story well. Even though at the time the 8th season was pretty much an unexpected gift of a season, it should have ended there.  And without all that contract drama, it would have for both DD and GA. The 9th season only served to undue much of the goodwill that S8 earned.  

To be fair, I am now watching these episodes with the benefit of knowing the resolution, so I can understand how the viewers at the time felt like it was more ambiguous than it was.  To me, rather than add ambiguity, Per Manum added some clarity - I mean, yes, per usual, 1013 can't develop a timeline that makes sense in the real world to save its life, but when you write a story that is essentially about Mulder and Scully deciding, deliberately and with forethought, to have a child together, it pretty much precludes the notion that William is anything other than a product of M&S's relationship.

Anyway, I have started season 9 because I promised myself I was going to do a rewatch, and that includes season 9.  But I must admit, much as I'm not so much enjoying season 9 (I like Doggett and don't mind Monica Reyes all that much), it so nice knowing that season 9 isn't actually the end anymore.

I really loved The Gift as an episode, thought it was a really strong story with a strong performance by Robert Patrick. 

I just watched The Gift this morning, and it truly is excellent. A great story and like you said, a standout performance from RP.

I watched season 8 all the way through for the first time last year, and I really do like it a lot. It has some of my favorite episodes of the entire series (The Gift, Via Negativa) and some legit scares (Roadrunners just creeps me out). 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, festivus said:

I actually love season 8. I have some problems with the way the baby story was handled but I seriously love Robert Patrick. Via Negativa is in my top 10 episodes and he was great in it. 

Yea I do too. I really liked Doggett. He was just cool.

• Love 1
On 10/16/2016 at 11:48 AM, Gillian Rosh said:

I just watched The Gift this morning, and it truly is excellent. A great story and like you said, a standout performance from RP.

I watched season 8 all the way through for the first time last year, and I really do like it a lot. It has some of my favorite episodes of the entire series (The Gift, Via Negativa) and some legit scares (Roadrunners just creeps me out). 

It's been a few months, but reflecting on it, I think I liked it so much because I liked seeing stand-up guy John Doggett trying to figure out the puzzle that is Fox Mulder.  And ultimately, coming to respect Mulder while also not compromising his own principles.  Scully's attachment to Mulder was almost immediate, and it was a combination of love, respect, a desire to heal, etc.  But we didn't usually get to see how someone else, someone ostensibly normal, might come to understand and respect Mulder.  (Because usually, the normal people looked at Mulder like he was crazy - generally because they never really got to see the deeply empathetic person underneath all of his sarcasm and general obnoxiousness).

It really does make me wish that we had seen a few more episodes with just Mulder and Doggett.  The dynamic at the end of season 8 is truly interesting, not just because you have the pregnancy and Mulder and Scully trying to figure out where they fit in each other's lives.  But then you add in Doggett and you have Mulder trying to respect the fact that Scully respects Doggett, and therefore he can't just shut Doggett out like he does everyone who isn't Scully (and Skinner, I guess). 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, eleanorofaquitaine said:

(Because usually, the normal people looked at Mulder like he was crazy - generally because they never really got to see the deeply empathetic person underneath all of his sarcasm and general obnoxiousness).

Is it pathetic that this made me tear up a little?  I think it is.  LOL.

You're making me want to sit down and binge watch the entire thing again!!

• Love 3
Just now, Taryn74 said:

Is it pathetic that this made me tear up a little?  I think it is.  LOL.

You're making me want to sit down and binge watch the entire thing again!!

I just watched Paper Hearts again over the weekend, and that is an episode that breaks my heart for poor Mulder.  At the end, when he asks Scully "how?" they'll find John Lee Roche's last missing girl, he's so lost and sad.  It's not even that he thinks that last girl is Samantha, it's just that he knows she's out there and that there is some grieving family out there, and he can't take it. He feels like he failed.   I think that both Mulder and Scully are such great characters, but Mulder is so unique because rarely is a male character so consistently vulnerable (and, to be fair, rarely is a female character as rational and capable as Scully).

• Love 3

Medusa: Geez, Agent Doggett walking around all hot and sweaty in those tunnels. I can definitely watch that for 40 minutes. 

Good Lord, YES! I could ogle him in that SWAT gear All. Day. Long.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1