Type keyword(s) to search

Season 7: Let the flirting begin...

This is the season I quit watching, although I don't remember specifically when I threw in the towel altogether.  I had long since been over the mytharc, David Duchovny had been irritating me in just about every interview for a while, the characters seemed to be sleeping together - and certainly should have been by this point - but it wasn't addressed, the resolution of the Samantha storyline was stupid ... some good stand-alones just weren't worth the investment of my time and energy anymore; it was okay, but it wasn't the show I had once loved.

I think I eventually saw almost all the episodes from this season, and I'm more charitable towards it this far removed from the original experience, but I still almost never pull out this DVD when I get in an XF mood.  When I do, it's pretty much only to watch The Goldberg Variation or Je Souhaite.  (And it is decidedly not to watch First Person Shooter or Fight Club.)

• Love 1
(edited)

Kind of felt the same way, especially about First Person Shooter. HATED that episode with a PASSION. Thought it was the dumbest, most sexist episode. As for Fight Club, didn't really mind it all that much. Thought Kathy Griffin did a good job as the two sisters, and I really got a good laugh out of seeing Scully be completely clueless about their doppel gangers XD.

As for M & S sleeping together, if not that, at least getting to second base. It makes no sense that it wasn't hinted at more than it was. 

Out of curiosity, how did he get irritating? 

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
(edited)

I'm currently working my way through The Amazing MaleeniOrison took me awhile because I'm a bit of an easy scare. The final showdown between Pfaster and Scully was so chilling - as was Scully questioning herself afterward. This season is going much better for me than Season 6, as I'm more of a mytharc person. I don't care how convoluted it is, I just like knowing there are far-reaching mysteries coming. That way I appreciate the MotW episodes as sort of palate cleansers/breaks.

I didn't mind Hungry, but Rush fell flat. The Goldberg Variation was outstanding - warm characters, nice M & S Scully rapport, heartwarming without overstepping the sentimental line.

I keep hearing about First Person Shooter and Fight Club (the latter as "the worst episode the show ever produced") from the friend I'm watching it with. I am kind of excited to see what everyone is talking about, regardless of how crappy the episodes actually are. 

Edited by JanetMacklin
  • Love 1

I liked Requiem on a purely visual level. 

For me, the best standalone eps of the season were Theef, Chimera and The Amazing Maleeni.

I steadfastly ignore the resolution of the Samantha storyline.

I loooooove Hungry. It was such a brilliant, heartbreaking way of doing a David-and-Gillian-Lite episode.

I feel like I'd enjoy a lot of season seven if I went back and rewatched it, but the problem is I don't feel like doing that. Certainly, I'm not giving the Theef/En Ami/Chimera trio of episodes enough credit in my head, but also they were directly after First Person Shooter and I already sat through that once.

I didn't mind Hungry, but Rush fell flat. The Goldberg Variation was outstanding - warm characters, nice M & S Scully rapport, heartwarming without overstepping the sentimental line.

And Shia LeBeouf!

Goldberg was great.  I enjoy Hungry as long as I'm not thinking about it too hard, heh.  The kid is a very sympathetic monster.  Theef is outstanding.  Chimera is good, but something about it just doesn't work for me.  Rush is good.  The first time I saw Orison I didn't care for it (thought it was a big let-down from Irresistible) but I've grown to appreciate it.

I really enjoyed X-Cops! Steve and Edie were great. Scully was great. I couldn't figure out if Mulder was really smiling and laughing , or if Duchovney was just trying to keep it together half the time. Lol.

• Love 3

X-Cops is comedy GOLD IMO.  I start laughing the first time Scully ducks away from the cameras and don't really stop the rest of the episode.  So much awesomeness.

• Love 2

I thought X-Cops was incredibly stupid the first time I saw it, but I was only watching the show sporadically then and was still freshly perturbed by the overall decline in quality as compared to earlier years.  I later came to appreciate the episode.  I haven't watched it in a very long time, though (I hardly ever watch this season, and didn't even have the DVD for quite a while), so I should see what my current perspective on it is.

• Love 1

Yes, please, I'd love to hear your perspective on it now!  I just think it's a truly brilliant episode, because we're watching Mulder and Scully in front of the cameras as they try to go about their job and it just adds a whole new dimension to their characters.  I love it.  Mulder gets all philosophical and poetical and Scully just wants to crawl into a hole somewhere LOLOL. 

• Love 1

I read in the season 8 thread about Samantha and the starlight, so I thought I'd address my opinion on it here.

I don't think I had ever seen that ep before. I 100% expected to hate the starlight bit. In fact, I was fully prepared to mock it. While I didn't love it, I did like that final scene between Mulder and Samantha. I found it to be beautiful and sad. I almost, but not quite, got a little choked up. I just pretended she was a ghost, and not starlight. Lol And I'm soooo glad Mulder, and the show and us by proxy, get closure on this whole Samantha thing too. Moving on...phew.

• Love 3

I almost, but not quite, got a little choked up. 

You're much stronger than I, then.  I'm a mass of sobs by the end of Closure.  The wonder on Mulder's face as he says "I'm fine.  I'm....free" and looks up at the stars?  Gah.  Not to mention the pain in his voice as he tries to read Samantha's diary to Scully.  And Scully silently lending him strength, as he shares the end of his journey with her. 

Yep, I could tear up right now.  When this show gets it right, it frigging gets it right.

• Love 2

See I think I get more choked up, not that xfiles has ever made me cry, watching Scully and Mulder get all worked up when they think they've lost the other. Apparently I just can't get that worked up about Samantha. ;)

But oh was I happy Mrs. Mulder is gone gone gone. She is so cold and distant, and then she goes and offs herself because she can't wait to tell Mulder what was SO IMPORTANT.

But oh was I happy Mrs. Mulder is gone gone gone. She is so cold and distant, and then she goes and offs herself because she can't wait to tell Mulder what was SO IMPORTANT.

There's times that I just don't understand how we're supposed to feel about Mrs. Mulder.  I always assumed she was basically a good person, she just happened to get caught up with people that were not-so-good (CSM, and to an extent her husband) and didn't have an easy way out, but it dawned on me during my latest rewatch that she's just never painted in a very good light on the show.  In fact, I've kind of decided that she and CSM were the real baddies in that situation, and Bill Mulder was the one that got caught up with them.  It certainly puts a new twist on things.

It's always the mother's fault, don't you know?

I just pretended she was a ghost, and not starlight. Lol And I'm soooo glad Mulder, and the show and us by proxy, get closure on this whole Samantha thing too. Moving on...phew.

I had quit watching by then, and the starlight thing sounded (and still does) really stupid to me, but I was just glad they'd finally closed the door on the Samantha storyline after all those years.  I know she was the impetus for the whole quest, but so many other things had happened since we the audience started looking in on the X-Files, many of which interested me far more, and eventually I just got sick of the various "is this Samantha?" storylines (especially since I assumed all along that she was dead).

Well, in all fairness, I wasn't a huge fan of Bill either. But while not always painted in a perfect light, I feel like he's portrayed in a much better light than Teena. It's quite possible though, I'd dislike Bill just as much if he had been alive longer. Lol. Neither of Mulder's parents give me the warm fuzzies. Mrs. Mulder just really turned me off when she refused to answer Mulder when he asked who his father is in Demons. Her embarrassment aside, he deserved the truth.

Oh, and if we're going with family members I can't stand, you can add Bill Scully (Jr) to that list.

• Love 2

I really enjoyed X-Cops! Steve and Edie were great. Scully was great. I couldn't figure out if Mulder was really smiling and laughing , or if Duchovney was just trying to keep it together half the time. Lol.

Heck to the yes! Steve and Edie helped to make that episode really shine! Still love it. :)

• Love 2
In fact, I've kind of decided that she and CSM were the real baddies in that situation, and Bill Mulder was the one that got caught up with them.  It certainly puts a new twist on things.

I hate Teena and Bill Sr. viciously.  At least with CSM, I know he was meant to be a villain, and I like him as one.  But Teena and William just come across as horrible people to me.  Of course, when the show's model for good parents is the awesome Mrs. Scully, all other parents end up looking comparatively bad.  But I can't help thinking of Teena and Bill as people who essentially let their daughter be taken, and then let their son feel responsible.  I know that's harsh and probably unfair to them, but I can't shake that impression of them.  (I will admit, though - I think the underlying philosophical and ethical questions to the whole alien conspiracy thing make me wonder how much better anybody else could really have handled things.  ALL of them were dealing with some heavy issues.)   And really, couldn't they have at least told Mulder what CSM's name was?  He has to figure that out on his own in S5?

I 100% expected to hate the starlight bit. In fact, I was fully prepared to mock it. While I didn't love it, I did like that final scene between Mulder and Samantha. I found it to be beautiful and sad.

It was such a WTF moment to me, and was one of the worst payoffs to a storyline in any show I've ever watched.   But I'm not sure they could have come up with a resolution that would have worked at that point.  They'd overplayed things and let the arc go on too long, with too many almost-Samanthas and almost-explanations along the way.  

Just happened upon this thread, wanted to put my thoughts out.
I am doing an X-files rewatch.  I watched during when it was first on (I was 13 or 14 when it started) and watched it all the way through to the end.  BUT, I hadn't watched more than the odd episode here or there in years now.  So in September I started from the Pilot and was determined to not skip any episodes.  Not even Space.  or that crappy werewolf one. Or 3.  LOL

So, here I am in Season Seven, 2 1/2 months later and I have such a different view and appreciation for this show than I did during its first airing (or even subsequent watches over the years).  I remember starting to really hate-watch XF around the start of S7 back then (for behind the scenes reasons, for being annoyed at the 'are they or aren't they' together stuff, for knowing that DD was leaving the show, etc).
Now I have been loving 95% of the episodes from S1 - S7 (am about to watch Fight Club, which I'm sure I'll still hate, but we'll see).  I see the episodes through such a different filter now that its been so enjoyable as a 30 something to watch (and with my kids, too!)  :)

A lot of it is because back then, I was SO INVESTED in looking for the moments... the M/S angst or shippiness, the PROOF that they were together-together (I feel like I'm in middle school right now, lol).  Being that invested colored my enjoyment of the storyline.

Now, I've been amazed that Season 7 has had so many light moments, and DD looks so happy a lot of the time.  Its strange, but he and GA look to be enjoying their characters so much this season.  DD as Mulder smiles a lot more, makes a lot of jokes this season, that I don't remember S7 being this way- probably because all I felt was doom and gloom thinking it was going to be canceled because DD was leaving... or he was going to be recast or etc etc.
Its been really enjoyable.

And, this is kind of All Seasons-ish, but even the episodes I thought sucked... I've been enjoying!  OK, still hate Space and 3 with fiery passion, but I watched them.  ;)  But the mediocre episodes, the ones that didn't quite hit all the M/S relationship notes I was probably hoping to see and therefore ended up in the 'sucks' pile, but were perfectly good Monster of the Week or XF episodes... they were so enjoyable!

Anyway, all that to say that I know I'm going to enjoy finishing this S7 and I'll probably love S8 and S9 too with this new perspective (since I won't be hating on JD or MR while hoping for DD cameos, lol)
Happy viewing!  :)

• Love 4

Its strange, but he and GA look to be enjoying their characters so much this season.

Probably because they decided to combat their six-seasons-of-saying-the-same-dialogue ennui by creating their own backstory in which the characters existed in the real world and were thus having it off. 

• Love 3

Ah yes, the real world.  The single biggest mistake the writers and creator of this show made was to NOT know when enough was enough and to friggin put them together, in canon, once and for all.  Its refreshing to see shows like Bones and Castle not try and pull that crap (for too long).
It was cute and quirky and fun for awhile to wait and hope and wonder, but dear God did it get old.
I know S7 gives us the 'canon' official first time we they might be sleeping together in "All Things" (another episode I hated less now, as an adult, but still found it a little too strange for me), and of course the reveal of S pregnant, so, duh, they were together.  
BUT, I cannot pinpoint, for me, where I think it began.  Obviously, day one, it was there between them.  And after episodes like Small Potatoes (S making out with Not!Mulder), getting cozier than usual in eps like Detour, M kissing Not!Scully in Triangle and telling her he loved her, and the near-kiss in the movie... conversations *should* have been had between them and paths chosen.  If they were in the real world.  
But actually sleeping together/a couple... it still could have (maybe) been ambiguous.  Maybe, with some fan-wank.  
But seeing them get closer and closer and more comfortable with each other, increasing frequency of kisses and touching etc etc... I mean c'mon.   It was just *annoying* for there to be no payoff, no confirmation and for the writer's to think "ha ha, isn't this so funny, making the fans go crazy.  Are they or aren't they?  hee hee"

Ugh.  So S7, for me, was DD and GA having fun with their characters and a wink at the fans, many times.  It doesn't all jive with the canon of what the writer's try to tell us (because they wanted the OOH! shock, Scully's pregnant story-line so we could all wonder if it was Mulder's), but I have to believe they were together by S7, even if it doesn't all fit.
So, just finished S7, on to S8!

(sorry if I got too All Seasons on here...)  ;)  I'm new

• Love 1

I think I must have missed All Things when it first aired.  It probably would have helped my understanding of the show a great deal.  lol  I think I also never saw Millenium.  So never having seen the New Year's Eve kiss or the implied events of All Things, I found out Scully was pregnant at the end of Season 7 and was like...

Shocked-gif.gif

• Love 2

BUT, I cannot pinpoint, for me, where I think it began.  Obviously, day one, it was there between them.  And after episodes like Small Potatoes (S making out with Not!Mulder), getting cozier than usual in eps like Detour, M kissing Not!Scully in Triangle and telling her he loved her, and the near-kiss in the movie... conversations *should* have been had between them and paths chosen.  If they were in the real world.  

I have spent far too much time since rewatching X-Files this summer trying to decide when the switch flicked for Scully, Mulder, or both of them... "You know, one day you look at the person and you see something more than you did the night before. Like a switch has been flicked somewhere. And the person who was just a friend is... suddenly the only person you can ever imagine yourself with."    I know after watching Little Green Men (Season 2) this summer, I was like, "these two idiots are so into each other," even though neither of them realized it at that point.  I kinda feel they flirted their way up until the cancer-arc, and then things were never really the same between them after that.  Like that mentally is the beginning of the transformation that SO SLOWLY takes them to more than just friends. I think Scully probably started to put it together in her head maybe around "The End" in Season 5?  I remember seeing her sitting in her car alone after seeing Mulder and Fowley together, and she looks soooo heartbroken.  

x-files-scully-car-the-end.gif?w=620

I don't feel like I can clearly pinpoint when Mulder became more aware of his feelings for Scully?  Sometime around Memento Mori or Redux? Folie A Deux? The movie?

Ok, so I think for Mulder it was waaayyyy early on.  Like Season 2 or 3, BUT he kept it to himself for the most part.

Its weird, but while watching S7 it seemed to me like that was when the light was flicking on for Scully.  Which is annoying, because the actions of the characters and the flirtiness  of them makes it seem way too late.
In En Ami, with the Cancer Man telling S that she doesn't allow herself to love... and then All Things seemed like the aha moment for her, that she was maybe already invested with Mulder, but wasn't allowing herself to fully commit, fully be honest with him (about herself, etc).  

I LOVED the New Years kiss (and I didn't remember it at all, cause I don't know if I ever re-watched Millennium after its first airing), but Mulder's  (or perhaps, DDs) "See, the world didn't end" was so meta and a wink at us... See, we can be together and its not going to ruin the show (in my brain at least ;)

I kinda feel they flirted their way up until the cancer-arc, and then things were never really the same between them after that.  Like that mentally is the beginning of the transformation that SO SLOWLY takes them to more than just friends.

Yes, that's a good way of putting it.  They definitely were never the same after the Cancer arc and certainly after the movie.

Watching S1-S7 over the last 90 days (so, relatively quickly and close together), it was so great to see this pair go from Pilot to Pregnant (lol), even with the back and forth and are they/aren't they because it is seriously one of the best couples I've ever seen on TV and it was so apparent on re-watch that, whether romantically together or not, from  almost day one, they trusted and would put their life on the line for each other.  It was really beautiful to watch .
uh, /sappy  ;)

I'll move my S8 thoughts over to that thread, but I ... actually LOVE Doggett so far!

Edited by GeekGirlnb

"You know, one day you look at the person and you see something more than you did the night before. Like a switch has been flicked somewhere. And the person who was just a friend is... suddenly the only person you can ever imagine yourself with."   <snip>

I think Scully probably started to put it together in her head maybe around "The End" in Season 5?  I remember seeing her sitting in her car alone after seeing Mulder and Fowley together, and she looks soooo heartbroken.  

x-files-scully-car-the-end.gif?w=620

Oh, ya have to comment on this, too.  S has some jealousy wrt Mulder.  Even early on (yuck, Phoebe Greene anyone?  Bambi? Det. White? Fowley, double yuck)  

I just saw the scene where she first meets Dogget and he tells her that Mulder would confide in women around the FBI offices and she gets that same jealous/hurt look (before she realizes that he's a lying liar)

So, even early on she gets all up in arms and defensive with other women and M.

The Fowley thing was just bad/annoying writing.  She was their to foil us fans and it was just dumb.  Cause she was so obviously there to piss S off.

But you're right, S was very hurt by Fowley and that scene you mention specifically especially because that was the time after the movie when (I imagine, in my head canon) that M and S would have been confused about where they stand with each other.

I mean, you don't just try and kiss (and say M's hallway speech) to your closest 'friend', then almost die saving her (halfway across the world) and then go back to what you had going before.  At least not without some serious issues beneath the surface.

(edited because I'm so excited to be reminiscing over XF that I can't spell)

Edited by GeekGirlnb

Ok, so I think for Mulder it was waaayyyy early on.  Like Season 2 or 3, BUT he kept it to himself for the most part.

Like when/what do you think?   Sorry, I'm in a shippy mood today.  :)  I fell down a rabbit hole on Tumblr last night for another show and now I'm just a big 'ole ball of feels today.  

Its weird, but while watching S7 it seemed to me like that was when the light was flicking on for Scully.  Which is annoying, because the actions of the characters and the flirtiness  of them makes it seem way too late.

In En Ami, with the Cancer Man telling S that she doesn't allow herself to love... and then All Things seemed like the aha moment for her, that she was maybe already invested with Mulder, but wasn't allowing herself to fully commit, fully be honest with him (about herself, etc).  

I LOVED the New Years kiss (and I didn't remember it at all, cause I don't know if I ever re-watched Millennium after its first airing), but Mulder's  (or perhaps, DDs) "See, the world didn't end" was so meta and a wink at us... See, we can be together and its not going to ruin the show (in my brain at least ;)

Scully has to realize it before Season 7 don't you think?  That quote from Rain King is from 6.  Surely she had it figured out by then, even if she wasn't ready to leap?   I think I always took CSM's comment to mean not that she doesn't love, because I think she was in love with Mulder WAY before then (and knew it), but that she keeps all of these walls up (for whatever reason).   "You'd die for Mulder but you won't allow yourself to love him."    I think Scully had to let go of some things (I still don't really get All Things. Is she letting go of who she was before?)  before she could fully take the walls down with Mulder, just like Mulder needed to let go of Samantha in Closure.  Which is weird, because both of those come after Millennium.  Huh.

I love this very meta moment.  I looked it up and this episode was written by Gilligan and Spotnitz.  I was secretly hoping it was Carter since he was always so anti-relationship.

• Love 2

Like when/what do you think?   Sorry, I'm in a shippy mood today.  :)  I fell down a rabbit hole on Tumblr last night for another show and now I'm just a big 'ole ball of feels today.  

Ha ha, I did that the other day.  I was watching some Vampire Diaries clip, then I went on to XF, then to Buffy, and then all of a sudden I was watching favorite shippy moments from all the greatest hits shows and I was so... blah!  Emotionally drained, lol

I have to believe that when S was abducted, M realized there was more there.  Like the mess he became, how lost he was, he realized he couldn't do it all without her.  Now, that's a big part of love to me, when you feel loss that heavily.

Was it romantic, no, not that early on.  But when she was returned I don't think he could ignore that he felt more.  Now I might be reading into it (wouldn't be the first time) but I believe the threat of loss is a powerful motivator for him and brings things to the surface for M that he can't ignore (abduction, cancer arc, her leaving the FBI in the movie) and maybe it takes him awhile to put it together that he *loves* her in that way, but the pull and the need for her is there.

I think a great way to juxtapose is to view how he was after the abduction arc and that possible loss vs the end of S1 when he was losing S and the Xfiles.  It was devastating, but it wasn't like it was during the abduction arc and forward.

Scully has to realize it before Season 7 don't you think?  That quote from Rain King is from 6.  Surely she had it figured out by then, even if she wasn't ready to leap?   I think I always took CSM's comment to mean not that she doesn't love, because I think she was in love with Mulder WAY before then (and knew it), but that she keeps all of these walls up (for whatever reason).   "You'd die for Mulder but you won't allow yourself to love him."    I think Scully had to let go of some things (I still don't really get All Things. Is she letting go of who she was before?)  before she could fully take the walls down with Mulder, just like Mulder needed to let go of Samantha in Closure.  Which is weird, because both of those come after Millennium.  Huh.

Yes, she realizes it before S7, for sure.  What I meant was she wasn't allowing herself to fully commit, jump in head first.  Like you said, that comment from CSM in En Ami was about her keeping her distance, walls up.

its a frustrating thing because its hard to balance what we're seeing onscreen vs what the episodes and writers are telling us.  Its very different.  To me, M & S were already romantically involved by S7 because of the actions of the characters.  But the writers are showing and telling us that S, especially, isn't quite there yet until late S7, at least not 100%.

I can't reconcile that very well, so its hard for me to say when exactly.   I don't like to think that they're together, but S is still so ambivalent... it doesn't jive.

And oh, I just remembered the end of En Ami, wow was M so pissed. LOL  He couldn't even *look* at S.

On All Things re-watch, I think I understood it more.  She was seeing a glimpse of the person she was before, realizing that she wasn't living her life fully because of the guilt and shame she carried around with her from that relationship.  And, seeing how easy it would be to fall back into that old rut, maybe, until she realized she wasn't that person anymore.  That person never would have chosen the path she had chosen for herself, never would have brought in that faith-healer/psychic guy she brought in to help her old flame, and the entire episode she keeps getting these revelations, this clarity, when she chases after the 'woman' she keeps seeing.

She faces up to her old flame (can't recall his name), tells him she's not that same person and that he needed to fix his family and move on, she gets peace from talking with the guys daughter and mending fences there, and I think, realizes that she's on the path she's supposed to be on, and can let go of that guilt and shame she was still carrying (subconsciously) as well as that feeling of 'did I choose the right path?/what if'.

It took her seeing that man again to realize that she could let go of wondering and the feelings that held her back.

At least, that's my take  ;)

I loved, loved, loved... and this has totally jumped the shark from season 7, but Redux II when it was mentioned to Mulder about the thing he wants the most and his response is a cure for Scully's cancer.  Not SAMANTHA!

• Love 2

Reading such great in-depth discussion about my favorite show of all time?  This is my happy place.

back then, I was SO INVESTED in looking for the moments... the M/S angst or shippiness, the PROOF that they were together-together (I feel like I'm in middle school right now, lol).  Being that invested colored my enjoyment of the storyline.
But the mediocre episodes, the ones that didn't quite hit all the M/S relationship notes I was probably hoping to see and therefore ended up in the 'sucks' pile, but were perfectly good Monster of the Week or XF episodes... they were so enjoyable!

That is exactly - EXACTLY - my experience too.

I think Scully probably started to put it together in her head maybe around "The End" in Season 5?  I remember seeing her sitting in her car alone after seeing Mulder and Fowley together, and she looks soooo heartbroken.

That scene is honest to G-d the first time I can ever remember feeling actual physical pain in my chest from a breaking heart.  My heart BROKE for Scully right then.  And I can't even describe what it was she must have been feeling.  Jealousy isn't the right word, at least not the petty thing we usually call jealousy.  It went much deeper than that.

Looking back on the M/S relationship from beginning to end, it impresses the hell out of me that we never once saw them acting "in lust" with each other.  Their relationship was ALWAYS more than that.  They were like an old married couple whose relationship had moved way beyond just the physical aspect of it, but in the best way possible.

• Love 3

Looking back on the M/S relationship from beginning to end, it impresses the hell out of me that we never once saw them acting "in lust" with each other.  Their relationship was ALWAYS more than that.  They were like an old married couple whose relationship had moved way beyond just the physical aspect of it, but in the best way possible.

Exactly this.  They were so far beyond the physical aspect to a relationship that it would've actually been odd had they shown it, IMHO.  We all knew at a certain point they were together, there was no need to put a fine point on it. But neither was there a need (looking at you, Chris) to deny reality. 

That being said, I think Mulder figured it out sooner than Scully, possibly around her cancer diagnosis, and Scully figured it out after Antarctica.  He went to the literal end of the earth to find her. As for when they actually pulled the trigger so to speak, I'm guessing season 6ish, toward the end of the season. 

• Love 2

Reading such great in-depth discussion about my favorite show of all time?  This is my happy place.

That is exactly - EXACTLY - my experience too.

That scene is honest to G-d the first time I can ever remember feeling actual physical pain in my chest from a breaking heart.  My heart BROKE for Scully right then.  And I can't even describe what it was she must have been feeling.  Jealousy isn't the right word, at least not the petty thing we usually call jealousy.  It went much deeper than that.

Exactly. With the exceptions being this and this. Hot damn is all I can say there >:). And I place those little bits around season seven in my mind :P.

I just finished my rewatch of season 7, and it was a fun trip down memory lane. I have a soft spot for that season, because it was the first one I watched live.  I became a fan the summer before when I caught the movie on TV.  I saw the hallway scene and was like, hold up, what is going on with this show and these two people?? Mulder and Scully sucked me in and I started recording every episode I could catch in rerun, and I started reading spoilers online for the new season and this thing I discovered called fanfiction...

I was a huge shipper (still am) and I remember how much I loved the end of Amor Fati, and the fan anticipation and furor over the Millennium kiss and the nitpicking of every flirty scene in every episode (OMG, she was playing with his TIE) and all the drama about DD's contract and if he was coming back for another season and if not how was it going to end.  That was a great season to be a fan! When I re-watched Requiem I was right back on my couch in my old townhouse with my dog Brandy (who died last year at the age of 15) and feeling like my life was complete because Mulder and Scully just spooned.  I remember then thinking, wait a minute, Scully just held a baby and she's not feeling well and she just fainted...surely not? They wouldn't go there, would they? And they did! After that final scene I flew upstairs to get on my computer and dial into the internet and spend hours on the boards with fellow fans. Scully's pregnancy had not been leaked as a spoiler and nobody saw it coming.  Fun times. 

And then seasons 8 and 9 happened...I'm curious to see if my perceptions change at all with a rewatch because I really only remember this overall haze of disappointment.

• Love 4

Woo hoo---S7 lovers unite! :) There's just something about this season that makes me so happy. (*whispers*) I don't even hate Fight Club, at least not nearly as much as most do :) 

Same here! I love this season so much! Da feels! :) Heck knowing what we know now makes me love it that much more.

• Love 1

Scully's pregnancy had not been leaked as a spoiler and nobody saw it coming.

Oh my word, I remember the absolute jaw-dropping SHOCK of that one.  Incredible feeling.  And then we had such highs and lows with being excited for Scully but at the same time heartbroken because Mulder was gone.  Much the way Scully herself had to have felt.

Good times.

• Love 1

Oh my word, I remember the absolute jaw-dropping SHOCK of that one.  Incredible feeling.  And then we had such highs and lows with being excited for Scully but at the same time heartbroken because Mulder was gone.  Much the way Scully herself had to have felt.

Good times.

Me too! Never thought they'd go there tbh. Really surprised me. And we all knew who the baby daddy was ;).

Woo hoo---S7 lovers unite! :) There's just something about this season that makes me so happy. (*whispers*) I don't even hate Fight Club, at least not nearly as much as most do :) 

Hahahaha, I hate Fight Club so, so much.  But I suspect it's more because I hate Kathy Griffin (her presence is like nails on a chalkboard to me) rather than the episode itself.  I can never separate her from it, so I don't know for sure.

"I'm Special Agent Dana Scully - "

"WHAT'S SO SPECIAL ABOUT YOU?!?"

is pretty dang funny though.

• Love 1

Gillian Anderson played that last scene to perfection with all her conflicting emotions...she was just amazing.  And when I rewatched it struck me, again, that Scully absolutely knew who the father was.  She did not play that scene like a woman who hadn't had sex in 8 years.  The way she says that she has to find Mulder and the shocked happiness under the tears tells me that she knows she got knocked up by her hot partner, not that she got impregnated by something terrifying like alien bounty hunters.  Which made it that much more frustrating with all the 'who's the father' stuff in the next season.

• Love 6

Gillian Anderson played that last scene to perfection with all her conflicting emotions...she was just amazing.  And when I rewatched it struck me, again, that Scully absolutely knew who the father was.  She did not play that scene like a woman who hadn't had sex in 8 years.  The way she says that she has to find Mulder and the shocked happiness under the tears tells me that she knows she got knocked up by her hot partner, not that she got impregnated by something terrifying like alien bounty hunters.  Which made it that much more frustrating with all the 'who's the father' stuff in the next season.

Word. Exactly. She knew damn well. Shame on CC to do the stupid and asinine 'Who's the daddy' stuff. It was just down right insulting to the actors, the characters and the fans.

• Love 1

If you guys could only keep 5-7 episodes from this season, which would they be?!

The Goldberg Variation, Requiem, Theef, Je Souhaite, X-Cops, Millenium, Hungry.

I really like The Goldberg Variation. It's one of the only episodes with a happy ending...

• Love 2

If you guys could only keep 5-7 episodes from this season, which would they be?!

Too hard to choose :P.

Requiem (ending be damned), The Goldberg Variation, Millenium, Rush, X-Cops, Fight Club and Je Souhaite.

• Love 1

1)  All of the mytharc eps.  (Yes, that's cheating.  No, I don't care.)  I actually really like all of the mytharc eps this season.

2)  X-Cops

3)  Goldberg Variation

4)  Je Souhaite

5)  Millennium

6)  Theef

7)  Rush

• Love 1