Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Fever Pitch

• Start Topic

I'm pretty sure Ben handed him paracetamol (tylenol) and when the captain made his call he indicated that the fever had previously dropped but now was coming back up.  So if he was 102 and on tylenol it dropped to 100, you'd assume he wasn't in any imminent danger, particularly with no other major signals (abdominal pain, vomiting, etc).

The last thing you want to do with a fever of 102 is walk around and take a boat ride and sit in an emergency room if you can at all help it.   You just want sleep and oblivion (and the occasional sip of water)

• Love 1

Also, the whole thing is exaggerated at the very least, if not completely made up for the show. With all the safety training yachties go through, surely they're all at the very least somewhat educated on what constitutes a serious medical condition on a boat, and what to do about it, and when. Not to mention the liability involved with a television production. Got a hunch it's pretty much standard practice to have "medical on set" for just about any tee vee show. Nobody's being negligent here. If they were, there would already be numerous links in other threads to articles about lawsuits. It's a storyline. Nothing more, nothing less.

(edited)

I just rewatched and he didn't reach 103 until the late evening when the captain checked on him because everyone else was on the beach with the guests and the captain was in the process of getting him a Tylenol equivalent when Ben arrived back and Ben gave him the medicine and a cold compress to bring it down which it did to 102 and it never went back to 103 but they decided to evacuate him anyway.

Eta: As previously mentiomed i have had the flu on boats before aND being curled up in my bunk in a similar size cabin to Danny's wasn't an issue and typically their is air conditioning even in the crew quarters on that size of a boat.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1