Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
saoirse

S02.E09: The Madness

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, LocimusPrime said:

Well I got it all wrong then.. I was hoping this show was about who could survive out on their own the longest. I really don't care for the psychological aspect. After awhile they all say the same thing..I miss my family, time is at a standstill, why am I doing this ect.... Yawn.  I mean really the introspective parts of the show are the most boring to me.  I get so bored when they start talking about their lives and what they are going to do to change things ect... Give me some action! 

The better material would be building cool stuff-maybe a full cabin, Building a two story shelter ect, Fighting wild animals with spears and axes, Hand to hand combat with a wolf, Setting up booby traps for bears. Venturing out into the other parts of the island ect. Perhaps some things we haven't seen like preserving food for the long haul, facing snow or a blizzard. Teams of two would be nice as well- at least a change of pace. They could also allow rifles ( change the location to a place where hunting is allowed). They could throw them all into some jungle with hostile natives that they would have to deal with. 

But that would be a different show. In fact, I think it would be interesting if they did this with a variety of random peeps: a homeless person, a military person, a schoolteacher, a Wall Street stockbroker, a computer programmer, a bus driver. Just pick names out of a hat. See what people come up with.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Alan was funny and entertaining, so I didn't mind his philosophical ramblings. I'm wondering if Justin was kicking himself once he left.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I was wondering why the other thread is so quiet! Lol

These guys are lucky. 5 weeks in and still not winter yet. We think the guys this season are better than last season but i wonder if we would still think that way if they were dropped around the same time of the year as last season. This season we see a lot of wood work and building skills (i.e Mike & jose) vs last season - they were trapped in their camp for days because of the weather. (I remember how the sound of the rain on lucas' and Sam's tarp drives me nut.) This season we can see mike and Justin were bored so they build stuffs and workout to fill their time so imagine if they were dropped around winter time where they wouldn't be able to do those things... Will they last this long?? 

Oh Justin, I like you so I was kinda sad when you tapped. But it makes sense when he talked about the military mindset. Anyway, when he was packing his stuffs, they showed Justin has a pan. I thought he brought a pot?! Or he found the pan on the beach? 

Now that two of my fav (mike and Justin) are out, I'm so scared that nicole and jose will pull the I'm-not-accomplishing-anything card. I imagine as we speak David is reading and laughing at all the critics and comments about him while sitting in his 500k pile 

Speaking of David, when was the last time he didn't get any airtime for a week? I feel like he has been shoved to our face every week. At least he's been somewhat bearable for these 2 weeks. I don't know if he get better edit or someone told him how sad and mopey he has been. 

I feel deceived. Last week's preview showed jose fell into the water but they didn't show it this week. I know nothing about boat and all that stuffs but his outrigger looks weird?! Like, a little too short and high?! There was a scene of jose during dusk where i saw silhouette of him holding something that looks like 2 big fish. I was waiting for him to mention it but he just keeps talking about his boat. 

Edited by Joan Z
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Yes, Joan Z!

I also saw Jose holding a string of at least 2 nice sized fish so all the angst about missing the salmon run wasn't out of hunger but a chance to show off his boat.

Joan Z...did you feel ...Alone? jk

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

Yes, Joan Z!

I also saw Jose holding a string of at least 2 nice sized fish so all the angst about missing the salmon run wasn't out of hunger but a chance to show off his boat.

Joan Z...did you feel ...Alone? jk

I don't agree. He has never said that he is starving, he is hoping for the salmon run in order to stock up and smoke fish to stay much longer. He wanted to test the kayak in shallow water and he found that it was wicked unstable (leaning to one side) and needed that extra stablizing arm so that he could feel comfortable out in much deeper waters. He stated that he hoped to be able to not have hands on the paddle and use both hands free to fish. Jose seems like a very pragmatic guy. He is measured and slow. He is going to test everything before embarking on any type of activity. He even stated that he should have made the kayak wider for stabililty, but he could not change that now. I remember watching Lucas last season and he would just go off half-cocked to do something. (I think that he actually fell from a tree branch).  As both Jose and David noted that hypothermia is very serious and Jose really didn't want to fall into the "drink". I think that is what he said about it. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

but they are not allowed to have pen and paper, they want them to diary to the camera. They have one book, I think they said 400 pages of rules and regulations  - might make good toilet paper.  it is what and how they are allowed to kill and what they can't cut damage, .....etc forever.

Edited by holly4755

Share this post


Link to post

Speaking of toilet paper.... David and his digestive issues were borderline funny due to the way he told the story. I didn't need to know he had a good poop, but if Brandi from Real Housewives of Dallas ever splits from her husband, I know the perfect man for her.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

They did show Jose's fall into the water, the same one that was in the commercials. It was the first time he tested his kayak and it tipped. Of course he was about 10 feet from shore and the kayak didn't tip all the way so he didn't go into the water after all. Kind of when they kept showing Nicole being scared by a bear coming out at her and it turned out to be a salmon jumping. I'm not happy with the guys editing the commercials this season. They're way too much into fake drama and fake foreboding.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Joan Z said:

I was wondering why the other thread is so quiet! Lol

These guys are lucky. 5 weeks in and still not winter yet. We think the guys this season are better than last season but i wonder if we would still think that way if they were dropped around the same time of the year as last season. This season we see a lot of wood work and building skills (i.e Mike & jose) vs last season - they were trapped in their camp for days because of the weather. (I remember how the sound of the rain on lucas' and Sam's tarp drives me nut.) This season we can see mike and Justin were bored so they build stuffs and workout to fill their time so imagine if they were dropped around winter time where they wouldn't be able to do those things... Will they last this long?? 

Oh Justin, I like you so I was kinda sad when you tapped. But it makes sense when he talked about the military mindset. Anyway, when he was packing his stuffs, they showed Justin has a pan. I thought he brought a pot?! Or he found the pan on the beach? 

Now that two of my fav (mike and Justin) are out, I'm so scared that nicole and jose will pull the I'm-not-accomplishing-anything card. I imagine as we speak David is reading and laughing at all the critics and comments about him while sitting in his 500k pile 

Speaking of David, when was the last time he didn't get any airtime for a week? I feel like he has been shoved to our face every week. At least he's been somewhat bearable for these 2 weeks. I don't know if he get better edit or someone told him how sad and mopey he has been. 

I feel deceived. Last week's preview showed jose fell into the water but they didn't show it this week. I know nothing about boat and all that stuffs but his outrigger looks weird?! Like, a little too short and high?! There was a scene of jose during dusk where i saw silhouette of him holding something that looks like 2 big fish. I was waiting for him to mention it but he just keeps talking about his boat. 

They have had beautiful weather there.  I'm sure last season's contestants could give them a lesson on boredom when they spent days holed-up inside with pouring rain day after day with the cold pervasive damp.   I don't think any of them have really experienced what a miserable day is yet. 

Cannot agree about Justin with his military survival background training blah blah excuse. He knew that the show was an endurance contest.  He couldn't adapt his 'specialized training' to do this?  He had sniper training too--so what ?  now he can't stop stalking and shooting at things. ??   Please.  " I accomplished what I came out here to do" line.  is like saying you joined the military for the free fashions. (Um..bigger picture..there is a show called "alone" with a big prize)   I think he was also there for some exposure for a survival school/experience for vets similar to that guy on N & A.  and not for the money which is ...the point of the show.    

I wouldn't doubt that Dave won..or Larry either.  Both were miserable, yet stayed.  No doubt they are there for the prize.  NIcole and Jose are much harder to read because both have been content since the start.  I think they both have the pluck to stick it out--but I am suspect that they have that time-line in their head for other commitments or ideas they want to pursue.  I don't think they will give it all for the money.    Dave comes off mopey and maybe not playing to the camera with the gym and the swing like Justin did, but I think he's just a more pensive person.  He's not all that happy to be there like Nicole and Jose, but yet he is there.  So kudos to him.

I hope any more lines of " i accomplished what I came out here to do"  is followed by an honest  "and that is realizing that X days of this is about all I can take" . Save the philosophy.    

Jose should have named his boat  La Indulgencia de Jose.   I think he misses the bigger picture in his own way.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Joan Z said:

These guys are lucky. 5 weeks in and still not winter yet. We think the guys this season are better than last season but i wonder if we would still think that way if they were dropped around the same time of the year as last season. This season we see a lot of wood work and building skills (i.e Mike & jose) vs last season - they were trapped in their camp for days because of the weather. (I remember how the sound of the rain on lucas' and Sam's tarp drives me nut.) This season we can see mike and Justin were bored so they build stuffs and workout to fill their time so imagine if they were dropped around winter time where they wouldn't be able to do those things... Will they last this long?? 

You certainly have a point. The big difference may just be that this season's batch are not as leary of the predators. We lost one this season, but several in S1 tapped because of bears/wolves. And, we already know they started earlier this season to give them more time before the normal November winter storms hit - I only recall the one storm so far.

Quote

I feel deceived. Last week's preview showed jose fell into the water but they didn't show it this week. I know nothing about boat and all that stuffs but his outrigger looks weird?! Like, a little too short and high?! There was a scene of jose during dusk where i saw silhouette of him holding something that looks like 2 big fish. I was waiting for him to mention it but he just keeps talking about his boat. 

Another case of false drama created by editing. We see a short clip of Jose tipping and assume he's going in the drink, but I don't remember him actually tipping over. Turns out he catches it before going under, decides it's 'tippy' and comes ashore to think it over. Like others have already said, I think he's too much of a perfectionist and tends to overthink things. When he started saying it was unstable, I automatically thought outrigger - maybe because that was Mike's solution on the SS Barbara.

I understand his design for his outrigger - think a bicycle with training wheels. When properly adjusted the training wheels are a quarter to half inch off the ground, and only touch to keep the bike from tipping. With Jose's new design, he still has all the maneuverability and speed of the canoe/kayak, because the outrigger is out of the water, but he should be much more stable in small waves because they'll help keep him from tipping to far. We'll have to see how it works now, maybe he'll need further modifications. I just hope he'll use the thing now instead of sitting around trying to come up with more improvements.

Did you notice the little dock he has to walk out on so he won't get his feet wet, but still be deep enough to keep the bottom off the rocks when he gets in? Guy's always thinking. I saw that and thought it makes perfect sense. He'll have to pull it above the tide line for high tide, but just another small thing which demonstrates how he's always thinking. Heck, it even looks like he carved a perfect paddle.

Edited by SRTouch · Reason: Correction
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Quilt Fairy said:

They did show Jose's fall into the water, the same one that was in the commercials. It was the first time he tested his kayak and it tipped. Of course he was about 10 feet from shore and the kayak didn't tip all the way so he didn't go into the water after all. Kind of when they kept showing Nicole being scared by a bear coming out at her and it turned out to be a salmon jumping. I'm not happy with the guys editing the commercials this season. They're way too much into fake drama and fake foreboding.

I must have missed it. Was it during the episode, or is that the images from the beginning of the show? If so, maybe he takes a dip in the water and it hasn't been shown yet? (Like the dog/wolf that we have been taking about). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, riverheightsnancy said:

I must have missed it. Was it during the episode, or is that the images from the beginning of the show? If so, maybe he takes a dip in the water and it hasn't been shown yet? (Like the dog/wolf that we have been taking about). 

I don't know.....in the footage I recall he appears to be getting ready to hold his breath and also lots of bubbles indicating the camera goes under water, so..a dip may still come.

SRTOUCH  I get the idea of the outriggers but they seem too short.  Seems by the time the rigger hits the water at that angle the tipping point has already been surpassed,  esp the side with the small buoy.  It doesn't appear to provide enough buoyancy.  But that's okay..he can keep tweaking.  there's always next years' salmon run.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, seasick said:

They have had beautiful weather there.  I'm sure last season's contestants could give them a lesson on boredom when they spent days holed-up inside with pouring rain day after day with the cold pervasive damp.   I don't think any of them have really experienced what a miserable day is yet. 

Cannot agree about Justin with his military survival background training blah blah excuse. He knew that the show was an endurance contest.  He couldn't adapt his 'specialized training' to do this?  He had sniper training too--so what ?  now he can't stop stalking and shooting at things. ??   Please.  " I accomplished what I came out here to do" line.  is like saying you joined the military for the free fashions. (Um..bigger picture..there is a show called "alone" with a big prize)   I think he was also there for some exposure for a survival school/experience for vets similar to that guy on N & A.  and not for the money which is ...the point of the show.    

I wouldn't doubt that Dave won..or Larry either.  Both were miserable, yet stayed.  No doubt they are there for the prize.  NIcole and Jose are much harder to read because both have been content since the start.  I think they both have the pluck to stick it out--but I am suspect that they have that time-line in their head for other commitments or ideas they want to pursue.  I don't think they will give it all for the money.    Dave comes off mopey and maybe not playing to the camera with the gym and the swing like Justin did, but I think he's just a more pensive person.  He's not all that happy to be there like Nicole and Jose, but yet he is there.  So kudos to him.

I hope any more lines of " i accomplished what I came out here to do"  is followed by an honest  "and that is realizing that X days of this is about all I can take" . Save the philosophy.    

Jose should have named his boat  La Indulgencia de Jose.   I think he misses the bigger picture in his own way.

I'm with you on this 100%.  I don't like the fact that most of these contestants aren't in it for the prize or the endurance test and cop out with BS about how they "did all they set out to do".  This is not like a marathon where people join to see how far they can get before giving out because it's obvious that people like Justin have what it takes to go the distance.  When people tap out of a marathon we assume it's because they just aren't able to finish or win so it's understandable, but when they just tap out because they don't like it, well, geez, they aren't really good candidates for the actual challenge in my opinion and miss the point of the entire endeavor.

Plus it's my theory that it's more about desire to win than even how well one lives out there.  All the winner has to do is survive, he or she doesn't have to build the Taj mahal of camps in order to make it or have tons of food either.  They don't even have to be especially content, just driven.  All they have to do is survive, not even survive well.  I agree with you about Jose.  I keep thinking that putting that much time and effort into the boat was a way to stave off boredom, but if he has to go through that much in order to accomplish that, he's bound to succumb to it eventually and tap out with the ol' BS line about having "accomplished what he set out to do".

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, seasick said:

I don't know.....in the footage I recall he appears to be getting ready to hold his breath and also lots of bubbles indicating the camera goes under water, so..a dip may still come.

You're right, based on the previews for next week there appears to be another tip into the water, possibly more serious than the one they showed this week. On the other hand, the editing and foreshadowing is getting to the "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" stage. In other words, I'll believe it only when I see it on the show, in context. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, humbleopinion said:

Yes, Joan Z!

I also saw Jose holding a string of at least 2 nice sized fish so all the angst about missing the salmon run wasn't out of hunger but a chance to show off his boat.

Joan Z...did you feel ...Alone? jk

Maybe we're right then, he caught 2 fish. But his lack of excitement when he caught the fish is kinda puzzling. Not a single word was said about the fish (or maybe he did but those frames ended up on editing floor) . I mean, look at how excited larry and david were when they caught mouse and crabs! And mouse and crabs don't even have that much meat anyway. Heck, even Nicole been blessed with the fish supply are still excited every time she caught a fish. Every time they show Nicole, David and larry, pretty much all they talk about is food. Other than the salmon run, Jose hasn't talk much about food and especially how he's been eating. I hope that just means that he's been eating well. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I'm with you on this 100%.  I don't like the fact that most of these contestants aren't in it for the prize or the endurance test and cop out with BS about how they "did all they set out to do".  This is not like a marathon where people join to see how far they can get before giving out because it's obvious that people like Justin have what it takes to go the distance.  When people tap out of a marathon we assume it's because they just aren't able to finish or win so it's understandable, but when they just tap out because they don't like it, well, geez, they aren't really good candidates for the actual challenge in my opinion and miss the point of the entire endeavor.

Plus it's my theory that it's more about desire to win than even how well one lives out there.  All the winner has to do is survive, he or she doesn't have to build the Taj mahal of camps in order to make it or have tons of food either.  They don't even have to be especially content, just driven.  All they have to do is survive, not even survive well.  I agree with you about Jose.  I keep thinking that putting that much time and effort into the boat was a way to stave off boredom, but if he has to go through that much in order to accomplish that, he's bound to succumb to it eventually and tap out with the ol' BS line about having "accomplished what he set out to do".

ITA it's the desire to win and not the living conditions that are a determining factor.  Alan stuck it out in that nasty little cave/tomb and total crap for weather.  

Maybe it's splitting hairs here but I do think it's a marathon but agree in some sense that not just Justin--but Randy and Mike as well had 'what it took' from a bushcraft standpoint.  Really you can survive by just not dying if there's no tap-out available.   But OTOH  a tap-out- regardless of the reasoning is still an "i i give up and cannot handle doing this" be it because they don't like being alone (and their father had to talk him into it) or you can't wait another 4 or 5 weeks because the call of new adventure is so strong (coughhorseshitcough)  or you couldn't stand to be off the teat that long.  But the eye on the prize is the thing.  I actually think I could do it for 500k (barring cougar stalking) if I had it desperately set in my mind that that 500 k was a huge part of my 'survival'  AFTER the challenge.   That's where David and Larry have the advantage.  

Maybe next season they will avoid the the "I'm doing this to find peace and happiness", "get answers", or find out who I am"  types and get people who are desperate for the money to either save their ass from financial ruin or from sticking their head in the oven from the tedium of their jobs.  We won't see this wusses then.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, seasick said:

They have had beautiful weather there.  I'm sure last season's contestants could give them a lesson on boredom when they spent days holed-up inside with pouring rain day after day with the cold pervasive damp.   I don't think any of them have really experienced what a miserable day is yet. 

Cannot agree about Justin with his military survival background training blah blah excuse. He knew that the show was an endurance contest.  He couldn't adapt his 'specialized training' to do this?  He had sniper training too--so what ?  now he can't stop stalking and shooting at things. ??   Please.  " I accomplished what I came out here to do" line.  is like saying you joined the military for the free fashions. (Um..bigger picture..there is a show called "alone" with a big prize)   I think he was also there for some exposure for a survival school/experience for vets similar to that guy on N & A.  and not for the money which is ...the point of the show.    

I wouldn't doubt that Dave won..or Larry either.  Both were miserable, yet stayed.  No doubt they are there for the prize.  NIcole and Jose are much harder to read because both have been content since the start.  I think they both have the pluck to stick it out--but I am suspect that they have that time-line in their head for other commitments or ideas they want to pursue.  I don't think they will give it all for the money.    Dave comes off mopey and maybe not playing to the camera with the gym and the swing like Justin did, but I think he's just a more pensive person.  He's not all that happy to be there like Nicole and Jose, but yet he is there.  So kudos to him.

I hope any more lines of " i accomplished what I came out here to do"  is followed by an honest  "and that is realizing that X days of this is about all I can take" . Save the philosophy.    

Jose should have named his boat  La Indulgencia de Jose.   I think he misses the bigger picture in his own way.

Pretty sure justin wouldn't last this long if he's in last season. He seems to be the kind of guy that always keeps himself occupied and busy, always on the move and doing something. Sitting in the camp doing nothing in the wet and cold weather for days would drive him nuts. 

I think he went to VI with the mindset of "I just wanna see how far i can go. If I'm the last man standing, that's great. If not, then it's fine." he surely doesn't seem motivated to win. His military training taught him short-term survival. So he went there with the short-term mindset vs the premise of this show - stay as long as you can. 

One of Justin's problem is he didn't catch a single fish. At first I thought he doesn't seem to try hard enough or maybe he lack the skills. Randy and larry trapped and caught a mice. Randy, as he said himself, is not a fisherman but he did catch some fish using hook line. David's gillnet hasn't work but he did catch some fish using hook line too. Same as larry. So i was like, why the heck Justin didn't try to catch some fish using hook line when his hammock-gillnet didn't work. But then i take a look at his tools list and he didn't choose hook line. So maybe it was a bad decision after all to not bring gillnet and hook line.  

I really want jose or Nicole to win but at this point, I'm not surprised if David or larry win because they are both motivated to win. Larry hates his job and David needs the money. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Joan Z said:

Pretty sure justin wouldn't last this long if he's in last season. He seems to be the kind of guy that always keeps himself occupied and busy, always on the move and doing something. Sitting in the camp doing nothing in the wet and cold weather for days would drive him nuts. 

I think he went to VI with the mindset of "I just wanna see how far i can go. If I'm the last man standing, that's great. If not, then it's fine." he surely doesn't seem motivated to win. His military training taught him short-term survival. So he went there with the short-term mindset vs the premise of this show - stay as long as you can. 

One of Justin's problem is he didn't catch a single fish. At first I thought he doesn't seem to try hard enough or maybe he lack the skills. Randy and larry trapped and caught a mice. Randy, as he said himself, is not a fisherman but he did catch some fish using hook line. David's gillnet hasn't work but he did catch some fish using hook line too. Same as larry. So i was like, why the heck Justin didn't try to catch some fish using hook line when his hammock-gillnet didn't work. But then i take a look at his tools list and he didn't choose hook line. So maybe it was a bad decision after all to not bring gillnet and hook line.  

I really want jose or Nicole to win but at this point, I'm not surprised if David or larry win because they are both motivated to win. Larry hates his job and David needs the money. 

I definitely think  if Justin had been stuck in his tent  with the 13 out of first 15 days of rain from last season he'd be long gone.  But he didn't have to be bored in this situation..  In fact it was a huge 'tell' and kind of an insult because there's always something that can need doing.  So in a way he doesn't always have to be doing something or he would have found something productive to do.  'On the move'..  yeah I guess.  I'm no fan of Justin's ( can you tell?)  I think he's spoiled and childish.   I thought the swing and gym, although a cute folly and all,  really came off as a cocky, cavalier comment about how 'not serious' the whole thing was to him.  

I'm no gill net expert, but I think there's a good reason it's made out of monofilament.  Certainly for weight, but I also think the thin line grabs the gills. I'm sure it's invisibility may help too.  So I don't think you can just throw in a tennis net or  a doggie gate or a hammock and hope to gill a fish.  He actually did catch a fish with the hammock so can't argue with (some) success.   It's just me I'm sure.  but Jose is starting to annoy me too.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I was looking at video for next week and I am pretty sure Jose does go in the drink, we know for sure David does because he says so and it shows him in the water. 

lets see if this works

hqdefault.jpg?custom=true&w=196&h=110&st

I was watching Sam talk about episode 6 and he went off on the fear of falling in water, he said it is no big deal every camper gets wet. He said he slipped in the bay last year in the cold, You just go in your shelter, stoke up a big fire, strip down and get in your sleeping bag - the next day your gear is all dry. 

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

You're right, based on the previews for next week there appears to be another tip into the water, possibly more serious than the one they showed this week. On the other hand, the editing and foreshadowing is getting to the "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me" stage. In other words, I'll believe it only when I see it on the show, in context. 

mmm maybe Jose IS going swimming, and needs to tweak his outriggers. I wish I could tell the editors they don't need these dramatic cliff hangers to get me to tune in next week. Or the drama going to commercial to keep me from changing the channel. At this point I'm really going to be PO'ed if we find that 'wolf attack' is staged drama.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On June 24, 2016 at 7:49 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Justin's tap-out was why they call this show "Alone" and not "Survivor" (apart from the obvious copyright issues). He's got the military mind-set which equates survival with staying alive long enough to get back to friendly territory. It's primarily the same skill-set you need to succeed on this show but a totally different philosophy. I do appreciate that he lasted almost another 2 weeks after his climb. We never did hear if he got his sleeping bag completely dried out. When he cleared out his sight you could see he had a beautiful little hut, I don't know if it would have lasted through a winter but it looked nicely made and finished. I wish we had seen more of him making it, especially after he had to move his camp due to the flooding.

Yes, I agree.  Justin was bored.  His training was about staying alive, making sure no one blows your head off, and then get back home in one piece.  Justin was interesting because his mindset might explain why its so hard for some veterans when they leave the military and have to go to a civilian mindset.  I'm glad he climbed the mountain and I kind of liked him, one reason was because he was from the same town my dad and his family were from.  

I also think the experience of being alone would be hell on someone who is very much an extrovert.  

Was Justin in it for the money?  I don't remember him having a wife or children.

Glad Larry killed that mouse.  I can't stand mice, unless they're sautéed and smothered with onions (sarcasm.. but I do hate mice, nasty venomous creatures)

I'm not upset if people aren't in it for the money, but I do like how David basically says he's doing this to make a better life for his children...maybe, I'm not sure.  See, I find that when people say they're doing something for the money, it turns out that there's never really enough money, you always want more and more.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I think that it was stated at the very beginning of the season that Justin was divorcing his wife. Many found that to be odd timing, maybe it was purposeful on one of their parts? Maybe it was just bad timing?

Share this post


Link to post

I believe Justin was bored  I guess he could have gone hiking again or done more exploring but maybe didn't want to run the physical risk again and he did his tweak his knee the first time.   I think he wanted to have time in front of the camera and make his point about veterans.  Doesn't he have YT videos and do hiking for veterans?  So maybe he wanted to get more exposure.   Anyway, I liked him OK but am not super surprised he's gone.  He was obviously comfortable talking to the camera, a good thing for this show.

I'm a little bored with Jose's boat but I did like him showing how he used the bones he found (or was that last week?)  Like Nicole and the plants last week, I like learning things like that.  I did miss Nicole this week, her enthusiasm is a nice balance to the others.

Nice to see David have success finding crabs.  I think David may rationalize a bit with the money (though a half million is useful to anyone) - what I mean is spending time away from the family.  Usually we'll hear that the contestant is feeling guilty being away and all that.  For David it's all worth it if he comes back with the $$.

Fucking Larry and the fucking mouse was hilarious to me.  At least he ate it.  Gotta take the little joys where you can I guess.

Ugh, can we please have everyone in the same ep next week?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I think Justin's military background makes him get bored if things are going too smoothly.  He's primed for a fight or a struggle, and he wasn't getting any.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, Snarklepuss said:

I think Justin's military background makes him get bored if things are going too smoothly.  He's primed for a fight or a struggle, and he wasn't getting any.

That was a reason I was glad he was on the show.  Some people don't understand why some veterans have a hard time when they live the military.  He really explained why.  He's primed for a fight; if there's no fight, then he's bored.  That's also why some people get into trouble, because they're bored.  

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Why did Jose take his heavy kayak back to camp instead of leaving it near the shore? Why??? I don't understand him. It's not like a bear is going to steal it and ride away.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm rewatching with my friend and after Jose almost tips over, he takes the boat back to camp. Then, later, when he prays and finds the bouy, it's back on the shore. Weird.

I told my friend if I ever find out production is tossing stuff into the water in the middle of the night for certain people to find, I'm going to be pissed. He called Justin as being done for before I did.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Why did Jose take his heavy kayak back to camp instead of leaving it near the shore? Why??? I don't understand him. It's not like a bear is going to steal it and ride away.

Maybe the tide comes in high there? He doesn't have much beach like we have seen with some of the other Aloners. He doesn't want to leave it "alone"? lol ;) 

Some of the people that live on VI say that tons of stuff wash up on the shore. I don't think that they are seeding them, unlike that other reality show we watched last year or so, that we were all pretty sure that they were seeding items for the contestants, because they were so lazy. What was that called, The Island? I have to remember how bad that show was makes this show so much better. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I told my friend if I ever find out production is tossing stuff into the water in the middle of the night for certain people to find, I'm going to be pissed. 

I keep hearing that the stuff from the Tsunami in Japan started arriving in Alaska last year, so I am surprised they didn't find more stuff, like entire boats. I hear about it because it is bringing foreign sealife on it, some things only native to Japan vicinity and the wild life people are trying to limit the spread. I am not sure how I got on their mailing list. 

Edited by holly4755
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

Why did Jose take his heavy kayak back to camp instead of leaving it near the shore? Why??? I don't understand him. It's not like a bear is going to steal it and ride away.

 

21 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

I'm rewatching with my friend and after Jose almost tips over, he takes the boat back to camp. Then, later, when he prays and finds the bouy, it's back on the shore. Weird.

I told my friend if I ever find out production is tossing stuff into the water in the middle of the night for certain people to find, I'm going to be pissed. He called Justin as being done for before I did.

I laughed at the first.. I could see myself "hiding my purse" or something from force of habit..but in the end I could see where he wouldn't want take the chance of mice chewing it up or other varmints playing in it..a branch falling, etc. 

Well--as far as seeding the waters--I doubt it in that situation, but frankly I have a lot of suspicion with Randy and his fire.  I think maybe a production member may have 'dropped'  a lighter when they picked up the film.   It just went way too smoothly for him after the 'big deal'  it was to keep a fire going.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, riverheightsnancy said:

Maybe the tide comes in high there? He doesn't have much beach like we have seen with some of the other Aloners. He doesn't want to leave it "alone"? lol ;) 

Some of the people that live on VI say that tons of stuff wash up on the shore. I don't think that they are seeding them, unlike that other reality show we watched last year or so, that we were all pretty sure that they were seeding items for the contestants, because they were so lazy. What was that called, The Island? I have to remember how bad that show was makes this show so much better. 

They said it's 300 yards from his camp to shore. That's 3 football fields. I'd leave the thing somewhere closer to water than carrying it all the way back. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Weighing in on the "seeding the beaches" theories: I don't know what the producers are doing, obviously, but I can attest to the fact that with the changing of the tides, an unbelievable amount of stuff can show up on the shoreline. We're on a small cove, and everyday the beach looks different.  In the past few months alone, I can recall enough articles of clothing to open a thrift shop, part of a canoe, a seal carcass, a beach ball, an anchorage buoy, a blue bag of recyclables, several boat fenders, a half dozen gas/water jugs, and enough giant logs to outfit a midwest US state park in cabins. Never saw the same quantity and variety of flotsam and jetsam in a lifetime on the east coast, but here on VI, it's crazy pants. So, the amount of "found goods" doesn't surprise me at all. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, seasick said:

I'm no gill net expert, but I think there's a good reason it's made out of monofilament.  Certainly for weight, but I also think the thin line grabs the gills. I'm sure it's invisibility may help too.  So I don't think you can just throw in a tennis net or  a doggie gate or a hammock and hope to gill a fish.  He actually did catch a fish with the hammock so can't argue with (some) success.    

I thought it was the other way around. It was a gill net and it wasn't producing. When his shelter was swamped he took the gill net and made it a hammock. I don't think he brought a hammock and made it a gill net, or did I totally miss that?

I'm sure it's tough being out there under any circumstances, but they have really lucked out with the weather compared to season one. That constant rain was a real bummer.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Ina123 said:

I thought it was the other way around. It was a gill net and it wasn't producing. When his shelter was swamped he took the gill net and made it a hammock. I don't think he brought a hammock and made it a gill net, or did I totally miss that?

I'm sure it's tough being out there under any circumstances, but they have really lucked out with the weather compared to season one. That constant rain was a real bummer.

It was a hammock that he thought could double as a gill net.  He also liked the amount of cordage it could possibly provide.   I agree on the weather.  I'm waitin' to see a palm tree it's been so darn nice!

Just now, Ina123 said:

I think ALONE is suffering from "Damn. Alan from season one was just so entertaining."

Their suffering is optional.  They could show more Nicole!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I like Nicole and I can see her winning, but Alan spoiled me entertainment-wise.

I love seeing David turn it around. He was hard to like but now I see him with a real chance and want to encourage him.

I had high hopes for Jose but now he has become tedious to me.

But, like David, any of them can turn it around from episode to episode.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/25/2016 at 9:35 PM, riverheightsnancy said:

I must have missed it. Was it during the episode

You and I both missed it, because it didn't happen (as of yet).   Jose did not fall into the water.

Rather like Nicole did not 'run from the bears'.  

I'm so fucking sick of the previews this year.  Quit trying to make us believe that 'OMG, something happened', when nothing really happened.  The same will be true with the 'wolf'.  

24 minutes ago, Ina123 said:

I don't think he brought a hammock and made it a gill net, or did I totally miss that?

I *think* you did.  He chose a hammock in order to deconstruct it.  Then, he reconstructed it, as seen.  

 

28 minutes ago, Ina123 said:

but they have really lucked out with the weather compared to season one

Production started a few weeks earlier than it did last year, as far as I know.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

When I rewatched, I kept laughing at Larry and his mice obsession. He's the closest thing to Alan we've got this season. That, and David's digestive issues which were more funny the second time around.  I hope one of them wins. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, holly4755 said:

I told my friend if I ever find out production is tossing stuff into the water in the middle of the night for certain people to find, I'm going to be pissed. 

I keep hearing that the stuff from the Tsunami in Japan started arriving in Alaska last year, so I am surprised they didn't find more stuff, like entire boats. I hear about it because it is bringing foreign sealife on it, some things only native to Japan vicinity and the wild life people are trying to limit the spread. I am not sure how I got on their mailing list. 

There have been news reports regarding the Japanese Tsunami debris washing up throughout the year so I suspect that is what we are seeing. It would be gear coming from boats that were destroyed as well as property from homes on the islands. I am a bit surprised that they did not find more stuff.

Alan was fine last year but he was never my favorite. I had a strong preference for Lucas and would have preferred Sam winning to Alan. Alan was entertaining but I thought his actual Survival experience was, well, boring. I prefer the people who are out doing things, building things, hunting and exploring. The problems is that those contestants seem to be far less interested in the money are more interested in the experience.

I would love to see a show that has a reward system for people based on what they are able to establish. I am thinking of a survival version of the PBS show Frontier House. They are sent out for a predetermined amount of time but they don't know how long that time is. Hell, tell them that it is three months and start September. They earn bonuses for being the first to build a shelter out of something other then their tarps, maybe a declining bonus for the first 5-6 people who complete the task so that there is an incentive for them to complete more tasks. Set up rewards for shelter, fire building, cooking camp, food gathering, map the area and the like. The winner is the person who lasts to the end and who's camp is deemed to be the most likely to help them survive the winter wins the big award.

I bet we would still see tap outs from people who are bored or scared but I suspect that some people would be more likely to complete the challenge. I doubt Justin or Mike go home if they know the end date. They are still alone. There are still the threats that cause people to tap. But there is an additional incentive to do stuff and not just hole up in your tent.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Neurochick said:

That was a reason I was glad he was on the show.  Some people don't understand why some veterans have a hard time when they live the military.  He really explained why.  He's primed for a fight; if there's no fight, then he's bored.  That's also why some people get into trouble, because they're bored.  

Yup. I really liked Justin. In fact, I'm fine with different people having different reasons for going out, different expectations. That's what gives the show variety, to me. Some just want the cash. Some want to test themselves. Some want some alone time to think about things. It's all very fascinating to watch, and I generally respect most of the taps that aren't, "It's two days in and I heard a scary noise!" 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/26/2016 at 1:35 AM, Snarklepuss said:

I'm with you on this 100%.  I don't like the fact that most of these contestants aren't in it for the prize or the endurance test and cop out with BS about how they "did all they set out to do".  This is not like a marathon where people join to see how far they can get before giving out because it's obvious that people like Justin have what it takes to go the distance.  When people tap out of a marathon we assume it's because they just aren't able to finish or win so it's understandable, but when they just tap out because they don't like it, well, geez, they aren't really good candidates for the actual challenge in my opinion and miss the point of the entire endeavor.

Plus it's my theory that it's more about desire to win than even how well one lives out there.  All the winner has to do is survive, he or she doesn't have to build the Taj mahal of camps in order to make it or have tons of food either.  They don't even have to be especially content, just driven.  All they have to do is survive, not even survive well.  I agree with you about Jose.  I keep thinking that putting that much time and effort into the boat was a way to stave off boredom, but if he has to go through that much in order to accomplish that, he's bound to succumb to it eventually and tap out with the ol' BS line about having "accomplished what he set out to do".

I think the problem is that it is human nature for the audience to want to see people try their best.  If I was an unskilled runner, worked really hard, then tapped out halfway in the marathon...you would still have respect for me, because you would feel like I gave it my best.

If I was a world class runner who has placed high in many marathons and I gave up halfway, not because I was injured, but because "I felt like it was no longer a challenge" you would feel like that was a bit of a punk move.  You know that I have the ability, skill, and endurance to make it much farther and my reasons for not trying harder would seem silly.

Quote

Why did Jose take his heavy kayak back to camp instead of leaving it near the shore? Why??? I don't understand him. It's not like a bear is going to steal it and ride away.

Now, I am picturing Jose, seeing a bear paddling away on the the kayak he worked so hard to make.  For some reason, I also see the bear giving Jose the middle finger (or paw) and laughing (I like Jose, I really do).

Edited by qtpye
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Seeing a bear paddling away on the the kayak he worked so hard to make.  For some reason, I also see the bear giving Jose the middle finger (or paw) and laughing (I like Jose, I really do).

Yeah, the kayak is Jose's baby! He can't quit it! (I like him too).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

My theory is that Jose knew he needed to do more work on the boat and he wanted to be able to put the boat up on its bench so he could work on it without stooping. So he schlepped it back to the camp. Maybe he didn't think it was that heavy.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Ina123 said:

I think ALONE is suffering from "Damn. Alan from season one was just so entertaining."

We have f'ing Larry, the Yosemite Sam of Alone. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/26/2016 at 10:21 AM, SRTouch said:

Did you notice the little dock he has to walk out on so he won't get his feet wet, but still be deep enough to keep the bottom off the rocks when he gets in? Guy's always thinking. I saw that and thought it makes perfect sense. He'll have to pull it above the tide line for high tide, but just another small thing which demonstrates how he's always thinking. Heck, it even looks like he carved a perfect paddle.

Didn't notice the dock. Interesting! Man, he really think of everything, didn't he?! 

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/27/2016 at 0:04 AM, seasick said:

I definitely think  if Justin had been stuck in his tent  with the 13 out of first 15 days of rain from last season he'd be long gone.  But he didn't have to be bored in this situation..  In fact it was a huge 'tell' and kind of an insult because there's always something that can need doing.  So in a way he doesn't always have to be doing something or he would have found something productive to do.  'On the move'..  yeah I guess.  I'm no fan of Justin's ( can you tell?)  I think he's spoiled and childish.   I thought the swing and gym, although a cute folly and all,  really came off as a cocky, cavalier comment about how 'not serious' the whole thing was to him.  

I'm no gill net expert, but I think there's a good reason it's made out of monofilament.  Certainly for weight, but I also think the thin line grabs the gills. I'm sure it's invisibility may help too.  So I don't think you can just throw in a tennis net or  a doggie gate or a hammock and hope to gill a fish.  He actually did catch a fish with the hammock so can't argue with (some) success.   It's just me I'm sure.  but Jose is starting to annoy me too.  

I don't mind Justin. I kinda like him but i do think the gym is a waste of calorie. Didn't know he caught a fish with the hammock! Was it in earlier episode? Can't recall it. I still think not choosing gillnet and hook line as two of the tools is a bad decision though 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, qtpye said:

I think the problem is that it is human nature for the audience to want to see people try their best.  If I was an unskilled runner, worked really hard, then tapped out halfway in the marathon...you would still have respect for me, because you would feel like I gave it my best.

If I was a world class runner who has placed high in many marathons and I gave up halfway, not because I was injured, but because "I felt like it was no longer a challenge" you would feel like that was a bit of a punk move.  You know that I have the ability, skill, and endurance to make it much farther and my reasons for not trying harder would seem silly.

Excellent point. Not only does quitting without giving it your best, it also leaves the seed of doubt that the eventual winner deserves to win. If you're mentally at the end, own it - say, "I can't stand it anymore." Don't leave us with, "I could stay, but..." whatever.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Joan Z said:

I don't mind Justin. I kinda like him but i do think the gym is a waste of calorie. Didn't know he caught a fish with the hammock! Was it in earlier episode? Can't recall it. I still think not choosing gillnet and hook line as two of the tools is a bad decision though 

Yeh, with the opportunity to watch how pretty much everyone in S1 who lasted awhile got their good from the sea, why not bring items which will make that easier. My big thing before the season started was wondering why no one was bringing cordage. Well, duh, they probably expected to find it on the beach.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×