Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E02: Bedlam

With the fallout of Hanna's abduction still weighing heavily on the PLLs, the Liars begin to grow suspicious of Elliott Rollins as Ali's condition worsens. Tensions rise between Liam, Aria and Ezra as they work on the book together. Spencer and Caleb are on edge, as neither of them want to talk about the awkward elephant in the room. Meanwhile, Emily receives a disturbing phone call and tries to find a way to see Ali.

Promo:

I'm confused... Am I supposed to think Liam is wrong?  Or is the show actually acknowledging that Ezria was not okay even without taking into consideration the creepy Alison and spying on teenaged girls backgrounds?

• Love 5

Hahaha, even though Liam clearly has a very obvious ax to grind, I was totally cracking up at that clip because it's about time someone told Ezra how fucking gross he was for his relationship with Aria. And, as RachelKM pointed out, Liam doesn't even know even a fraction of the gross shit Ezra did. I was neutral on Liam before, but if this is how it's going to be then let's keep him!

• Love 11

Bah, no Liam no life. 

Also, Emily, the fact that it took you this long to notice should mean you automatically lose custody. Go live in the Ezria part of the story for a week as punishment. 

Is this just the episode where everyone gets told to go fuck themselves in the most fanservicey way possible? Because if so, may I nominate the entire Rosewood PD for the next telling-off? 

• Love 2

So, the whole "We have to find Hannah" issue has basically been sidelined by all the PLLs because they "need" to talk to Alison.  I think Hannah is going to need to look into getting some new friends -- if she survives (which of course she does because of that preview at the end of 6B, which also means that Alison is going to be just fine since she was back to teaching in that same clip).

When Rollin's says he spent the past five years taking care of Ali and Charlotte, did he say Charlotte or Charlie?  If he says Charlotte, someone tell him to stop mumbling his lines.  If he says Charlie, well its not like this show has done anything right with the depiction of trans characters, so at least they are consistent.

• Love 1

So Hanna hasn't returned to the group, or called them or anything?  Are they just assuming that "hey, Caleb dropped of the Red Coat of Doom, so AD probably kept up his end of the bargain therefore lets talk about our gross relationships."

Why can't I quit this show.  "You've watched 6 seasons already, you can't stop now!"  My TV viewing habits are the embodiment of the sunk cost fallacy.

• Love 6

Liam's completely valid assessment of Ezria is being blown off as "jealous ex-boyfriend".  And he doesn't even know about the fact that Ezra knew who she was and how old she was when he pursued her, stalked her, spied on her for his stupid book.  I took Aria's blather about how her experiences made her who she is to be the writers saying "everyone who thinkis this relationship is wrong can fuck off."  She's not at a point in her life where she can say that, considering she still relives her past traumas (e.g., her testimony at Charlotte's hearing), and she's repeating the same destructive patterns of the past.

Maybe that's it -- Aria is like an alcoholic who won't admit she has a problem.  "I like who I am when I drink!  I mean, when I'm with Ezra!"

Incidentally, how much of the Ezria saga is in this book anyway?  I thought it was about Ezra and Nicole.  Did they change Nicole's character to be a 16 year old Habitat volunteer?

Hanna was totally acting out.  Dumped Jordan (no loss) and signing her soul over to Lucas.  

Caleb can eat a dick.  If Hanna hadn't said that their kiss was a slip-up, he totally would have ditched Spencer in a millisecond.  But since she did, he goes back to being nice to Spencer.  Spare girlfriend I guess.  

I don't like how the writers are trying to paste over the obvious plot holes with Wrollins being Ali's husband-doctor.  Spencer questioned the ethics of it, but they blew it off.  Yeah, Spencer?  Call the fucking State Medical Board.  

• Love 8
(edited)

I feel bad because he's kind of awesome now or was in this episode, but last season whenever I saw him on screen I kept calling him Lewis but Liam is AWESOME. God damn, his take down of Ezra was on point. Stay forever, Liam! I'll never forget your name now! I'm surprised Ezra didn't like have his car attack him like when he put a nail in Jake's punching bags. Even though the show pretends it wasn't Ezra's doing, I still believe it was. 

So.. Hanna's back.. well, good. I was not excited for a four day event of them trying to save her.

I never invested much in Spencer and Caleb so whatever people act upset about the whole thing, I can't help but laugh. I always kind of knew it was just a gap filler until they could reunite couples.

It's sad but I feel like getting older has only made these characters act like they've taken stupid pills. And I hate every single character now. Except for Mona. At this point, maybe I'm rooting for AD to just kill them all. Was that the idea show?

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 6

Ok lets break it down by story line:

Aria and Ezra: mac123x already summarized why this situation is so messed up but there is one thing I would like to add.  Liam told Ezra he understands the appeal of an older man dating a younger woman (he made a reference to some book they always bring up).  All I have to say no!  I am sorry, I am a 24 year old man who is attracted to women on regular basis, and I personally have zero interest in dating a high school girl.  The closest I get is thinking 'Oh your cute, I remember when life was that simple'.  Not trying to be condescending, its just I really have no interest in someone at that different of a stage in their life.  I get most of us on this site hate Ezria but god they really need to stop acting like this is something innocent that just happened.

Spencer, Hanna, and Caleb: At least with this story line the girls are trying to be adults.  Hanna realizes it was a mistake and she doesn't act like Caleb is her long lost true love.  Spencer gets that something is going on, but she is not about to flip a shit on Hanna about some old feels that Hanna may have for Caleb.  Caleb is the only one who comes out looking bad.  He seems like he legitimately still loves Hanna, even though he is dating Spencer, which is a shitty thing to do even when the girls aren't best friends.  It honestly feels like the writers realized over the break that having two love triangles on the show was a really dumb idea and now they are trying to back out of this love triangle as quickly as possible, which I guess we should be grateful for.  Or they will screw it up and Hanna and Caleb will be back together by the end of the season.

Emily: Poor girl.  At least she is trying to get things done.  If only she could do something other than pine away for Ali.  And speaking of her, I thought Ali was supposed to be a main character.  Can't she actually be part of the group, instead of constantly being someone that has to be saved?

Overall I actually liked these last two episodes.  Do not get me wrong the plot is beyond ridiculous and the Lairs keep doing dumb stuff so the mystery can continue, but overall its at least feels like some effort is being put in by the writers, at least compared to past seasons.  Also the Lairs, with the except of Aria, all seem to at least be on the same show.  Emily is trying to take care of Hanna.  Spencer and Hanna have that awkward tension because of Caleb.  Spencer and Emily at least discuss that is going on.  I know its nothing great but its better than past seasons when the girls would meet up once at the start and end of each episode and then go off in completely unrelated directions for the remaining forty minutes of the show.

• Love 5

Liam is great, and he's super attractive. I thought his reading on Ezra was absolutely awesome, so it's a shame he was dismissed as a jealous ex. If he only knew the entire story, he would probably be calling the police and finding evidence against him. Hmm, an enemy against Ezria? Besides Byron, they haven't really had a true enemy. never really gave a shit about the couple, so it would be nice if someone cared enough to end it somehow. 

Caleb and Spencer are very close to breaking up, clearly. Spencer knows the relationship is probably over, and Caleb's trying to play the nice guy, but he's still a dick. So, because Hanna rejected you, it's ok to go back to Spencer. Alright, then. I just need loveable Caleb back, but I'm afraid this love triangle may have tainted him. They did get me to like Hanna again, though, so maybe I can like him too again.

Speaking of Hanna, she's definitely lashing out. Someone needs to be there for her. She's now broken up with Jordan, and joined Lucas' business. I like Lucas, but him noticing the lack of an engagement ring makes me wonder what he's thinking. 

Oh, so NOW the group is suspecting Elliot, and all because of a stupid text message. Just call someone and let them know about Elliot treating his own wife. They'll get the faux American tossed off of Ali's service...eventually. 

So, I might have believed Mary Drake's story about the baby...for a minute. Do I feel sorry for her? Not really, but I feel like they're trying to make her sympathetic by having Elliot Wrollins as the head in charge. 

• Love 3

This episode was kind of boring. Too much focus on relationship drama.

I hope Hanna eventually confides in the girls and doesn't go all Dark!Hanna on us and spiral out of control. For one, because I want her to be okay but also because I found her really annoying during her last downward spiral (after Ali's return). 

Caleb sucks now. He used to be the best of the boyfriends but now he's just as bad as Toby and Ezra. I wish he would run off to Ravenswood again to chase fireflies with his ghost pals or whatever, but if the show is set on putting him back with Hanna, and it certainly seems they are, at least they got rid of Jordan and ended Spaleb rather quickly so they could get it over with. Because the only thing worse than Haleb getting back together at this point is dragging out these silly love triangles/quadrangles. They're not dramatic and we all know how it's going to end.  

Oh Aria. You precious little dummy. Why would you breakup with sweet adorable Liam, who is not a creepy manipulative statutory rapist/stalker, to be with Ezra, who is a creepy manipulative statutory rapist/stalker? 

I can't believe the writers took the time to recognize that Ezra is in fact a sexual predator, to then have Aria, his victim, tell us that though it may be true it doesn't really matter because she likes who she is. 

I hope Mary Drake isn't another misunderstood villain who we're supposed to feel sorry for because that's getting old. 

It's so nice of the girls to now worry about Alison's safety after they basically served her up on a silver platter to someone who wants to kill her because she owns a red jacket. 

Looking forward to Hannibal Alison next week. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Well, the girls didn't really serve her up. Caleb did. He took the red jacket in that quick second. I'm sure everyone else was going to debate over it, but Caleb took it and Spencer's phone and didn't inform the others. 

Eh. This show is..kind of bugging me. As I said, I hate.. everyone on it, pretty much now. I'm only watching because I'm pretty sure if this isn't the last season, then it's probably the last season with the main cast members because I think they are over it as well and ready to move on and I won't be watching with a new set. 

I mean, as per the breakups, Caleb is looking like a jerk I agree, but honestly, no one has looked good to me because of that relationship. They managed to ruin all three, Spencer, Hanna, and Caleb. To me anyway. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1

I have extreme lust for Aria’s mustard colored leather jacket. Other than that, this episode was nothing. Is the entire season going to be the liars trying to get Ali while she gets drugged over & over? Because I'm already bored with that plot. Also boring, Aria, Ezra, Liam, & the book, who cares at this point?

• Love 2

Hot Damn I love Liam!  I don't even care that this show tried to cast him as jealous or that Aria pulled a "It made me me."  Liam said the things and the show can't take them back!!!! 

I feel like Emily is on her own show with the mystery and everyone else is doing something else and just drops by occasionally.  It strains credulity, however, how long it's taking her to catch on to the fact that Wrollings is SHADY AS FUCK.  And the way everyone keeps handwaving him treating his wife is so fucking Rosewood. Welcome to Rosewood. Come for the creepy Dolls and murdering teens, stay for the inappropriate relationships and fucked up power dynamics.

And I held out, but CALEB IS A DICK.  I was stunned that he literally went from being shut down by Hanna to taking Spencer home and trying to cajole her into bed.  He could have at least need a night to think before moving on to option 2.  As someone above said, this shit would be gross if Hanna and Spencer weren't best friends.

They did rehab Hanna with her turning Caleb down and desperately trying to put everyone back in the places, her with Jordan and Caleb with Spencer so everyone could be happy.  Sure, she was spinning like mad and it failed (as it had to), but she wanted so badly for no one to get hurt.  I'm seriously worried that she might go full boogity spin.  Em and Spencer called it; she had "Doll House" eye.  She was absolutely put through something that justifies it, but I don't want to watch that again.

1 hour ago, GaT said:

I have extreme lust for Aria’s mustard colored leather jacket. Other than that, this episode was nothing. Is the entire season going to be the liars trying to get Ali while she gets drugged over & over? Because I'm already bored with that plot. Also boring, Aria, Ezra, Liam, & the book, who cares at this point?

I love that jacket. It's retro.

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh, Ezra. I know you're allegedly new at all of this, but even you should know better than to take a flower arrangement into the house before reading the card or checking for miscellaneous body parts hidden inside.

I can't decide if Hanna truly believes that she and Caleb kissed because she was afraid and he made her feel safe or if she was trying to give him an out and let things go back to the way they were so that it didn't ruin their relationships with Spencer.

Thank fuck that Emily started getting suspicious of Elliot. Between Liam reading Ezra for filth and Spencer pointing out the conflict of interest in Ali's husband being her doctor, I felt like there were finally some adults on this show. Even though we'd already seen both of those scenes in the sneak peeks, I still laughed and laughed when I saw them again during the episode.

Notice that last season when the girls barged in and accused Ezra of possibly murdering Charlotte, he yelled at them to get out. But when Liam basically tells him, "You are a disgusting predatory pervert who took advantage of a young girl," Ezra's reaction is to blink and respond politely without ever raising his voice.

I'm glad that Emily and Spencer noticed that Hanna was about to spiral but I wish they had done something, anything, besides just confirm it with each other.

Oh Aria. You precious little dummy. Why would you breakup with sweet adorable Liam, who is not a creepy manipulative statutory rapist/stalker, to be with Ezra, who is a creepy manipulative statutory rapist/stalker?

Heh, I think you just answered your own question right there. Apparently Aria's type is creepy manipulative statutory rapist/stalker.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, SadieT said:

I can't believe the writers took the time to recognize that Ezra is in fact a sexual predator, to then have Aria, his victim, tell us that though it may be true it doesn't really matter because she likes who she is. 

The funny thing is back in like season three or four, Spencer expressed basically the same sentiment to Hanna.  Hanna asked if knowing everything that happened, would Spencer still have become friends with Ali, and Spencer replied she would because otherwise she would have never meet Hanna.  It was actually a really sweet scene (and probably spawned a bunch of Spencer/Hanna fan fictions but that's beside the point).  Of course, Spencer was acknowledging that Ali and A were terrible, and Hanna, who was not responsible for anything bad happening to Spencer, was a good enough friend to make all that terrible stuff worth it, so the scene worked.  Aria, on the other hand, has been directly and indirectly hurt by Ezra repeatedly, and Aria is trying to explain why all of those bad things that happened are not that bad, so basically it comes off like someone trying to justify their abuser's actions.

• Love 1

This isn't even fun to watch anymore. Can't believe they ruined Caleb.  And does this means poor Spencer is going to go back to boring ass Toby? Can't any of these girls actually move on from their high school sweethearts? It's not normal. Finding the love of your life in high school is rare people! Teenagers watching...he is not the only guy you are ever going to love I promise!

• Love 9
(edited)
6 hours ago, RachelKM said:

And I held out, but CALEB IS A DICK.  I was stunned that he literally went from being shut down by Hanna to taking Spencer home and trying to cajole her into bed.  He could have at least need a night to think before moving on to option 2.  As someone above said, this shit would be gross if Hanna and Spencer weren't best friends.

Yes, he definitely is at this point. First he cheats on Spencer by kissing Hannah, which he still hasn't confessed to Spencer about although she's smart enough to have worked most of it out. This of course is after he made a stink about Toby seeing Spencer in her sexy dress.  Then he blows Spencer off while trying to find his precious Hannah. After Hannah blows him off and not in the way he'd like, he comes home to sex up Spencer, who thankfully seemed to have enough sense to give him the brush off till she had a chance to confront him. Caleb needs to walk his ass back to Ravenswood with his dick tucked away between his legs and forget a future with either Hannah or Spencer.  While in high school he might have been a good boyfriend, he's no prize in his twenties. 

11 hours ago, superman1204 said:

Aria and Ezra: mac123x already summarized why this situation is so messed up but there is one thing I would like to add.  Liam told Ezra he understands the appeal of an older man dating a younger woman (he made a reference to some book they always bring up).  All I have to say no!  I am sorry, I am a 24 year old man who is attracted to women on regular basis, and I personally have zero interest in dating a high school girl.  The closest I get is thinking 'Oh your cute, I remember when life was that simple'.  Not trying to be condescending, its just I really have no interest in someone at that different of a stage in their life.  I get most of us on this site hate Ezria but god they really need to stop acting like this is something innocent that just happened.

I think Liam was actually trying to cut on Ezra even in that literary reference statement. He mentions the book Lolita, which is about an older man and preteen girl. The book has always been controversial but it's more known in popular culture by the term "Loilita" becoming a reference to young, seductive, possibly even trashy girls. So by Liam bringing it into the conversation I suspect he was trying to say that Ezra thinks his book (and his life, no doubt) is some epic romance with Aria or Nicole (at this point I think he's merged the girls into one and we'll probably see that confusion play out when Nicole turns up alive) but it really reads as trashy or creepy smut, to which he's concerned about Aria's role in it. So score another point for Liam. Although you make a very valid point as well--most guys in their twenties have enough sense and available women their own age without having to dip into the high school dating pool for a girlfriend, one no less that probably comes with curfews, naive or limited experience with life, and no ID to get into a bar or club for a night out. At this point, even with the girls out of college, any time I see Ezra with the Scooby gang I think he still looks silly and out of place, a thirty year old chasing ghosts and playing with dolls. ;-)

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 4

Thoughts..

Season 7 action has been better than season 6, but the characters..not so much.

So annoyed at the Caleb/Hannah/Spencer situation. Those three were my favorite characters, and it made them all worse. I didn't think Spencer came off very well. Her best friend is kidnapped and she was acting jealous. And Caleb came off even worse. The worst part of his personality came out when looking for Hannah (brash, insulting). Then he and Hannah kissed (cheating on Spencer with her friend..) then after this, he tries to make nice. I mean, he's not nearly in the category of Ezra pedo stalker Fitz, or Toby I'm going to let you have a mental breakdown "for your own protection" Cavanagh..but he's made it to Paige's level of "Imma drown you cause I love you"..and he's on the crappy boyfriend path. (Is it cause he's a full grown man now?) Hannah came off better, other than the whole..kissing her best friend's boyfriend and telling him that she still loves him. (So not by much) She realized she still loves Caleb, tries to fix things with Jordan, goes nuts, breaks up with him, and signs her soul away to Lucas. All three of them showed a level of selfishness that just wasn't in the characters previously. (I just don't care as much about what Hannah did because I don't care about Jordan.) 

Meanwhile, the show tarnished three of the best relationships on this show in Hannah/Spencer, Hannah/Caleb, and Spencer/Caleb (Their friendship). I'm hoping they'll at least have the three of them act like adults to mend their relationships. But I don't trust this show to actually do that. I think they will forgive, but none of the characters will deserve it.

Meanwhile, Ezra and Aria are kind of half together..Aria of course cheating. (Go Liam though. He rocks...#TeamAriam?) It's actually funny how many times this show has tried to turn fans against Ezria, and it never works. Like, it never clicks with the fans. IMO, it's just a played out fantasy in teenagers minds, and they consider it romantic. But it's disgusting. And what was even more disgusting, is that they are going through this drama and crisis while Hannah was kidnapped. 

Emily is the only liar that they've done right by. She didn't act like a selfish jerk. She tried to do the right thing. She's trying to actually get things done. She went looking for evidence. Her mind has been on taking care of her friends, not selfishly on her love life while her friends are in danger. 

So in conclusion, I'm cool with Emily.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, mac123x said:

So Hanna hasn't returned to the group, or called them or anything?  Are they just assuming that "hey, Caleb dropped of the Red Coat of Doom, so AD probably kept up his end of the bargain therefore lets talk about our gross relationships."

Why can't I quit this show.  "You've watched 6 seasons already, you can't stop now!"  My TV viewing habits are the embodiment of the sunk cost fallacy.

Lost didn't teach me anything, at all.  I got hooked on this show on Netflix from seasons 1-4 and now, just can't stop, even though I know I'll be disappointed. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

At this point, even with the girls out of college, any time I see Ezra with the Scooby gang I think he still looks silly and out of place, a thirty year old chasing ghosts and playing with dolls. ;-)

...and wearing Santa boxers - which Show consistently tries to sell as a Best Of moment when it's really creepier than any Creepy Doll.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, mercfan3 said:

signs her soul away to Lucas.

LOL, a revised version of that scene just popped into my head:

Hanna:  Can I borrow your pen?

Lucas:  Why?

Hanna:  To sign these papers

Lucas:  Oh, these documents can't be signed in ink. [hands her a knife and a quill, O! Fortuna plays in the background while lightning crashes outside the window].

10 minutes ago, dwmckim said:

...and wearing Santa boxers - which Show consistently tries to sell as a Best Of moment when it's really creepier than any Creepy Doll.

I like the Bro's head-canon that they had a meth-fueled orgy that Christmas, and Ezra is always trying to get them to recreate it.

ETA:

I really liked Spencer breaking out the bottle of Scotch when she got fired.  It's a Hastings family tradition!

Edited by mac123x
  • Love 4
41 minutes ago, dwmckim said:

Yeah and the fact that there are pictures floating around of this moment, and while honestly the timeline makes no sense, Ezra was a teacher at that point at Rosewood high again so, the pictures could have fallen into anyone's hands and whatever. It was a creepy moment though. And Ezra is way too old to be hanging out with these people. Even if they are young adults, he is still way older. But I love Liam for saying something. And if the show tried to make me think he was being a jealous ex, they failed. All they did was have me saying to my tv, "Holy crap, someone is actually calling Ezra what he really is" and Aria's speech just made me go.. "uh.. what?" 

• Love 1

Did the deliberately destroy Caleb's character to spite all those of us who preferred him to their precious little pedo Ezra. (I know, not exactly a pedo but I was going for a semi-alliteration there and I hate him so I will call him names even if they are not entirely accurate. He would, however, end up on the sex offenders registry if her parents had ever given enough of a crap to press charges against him for screwing their teenage daughter while being her teacher.)

I just feel like this whole triangle was pointless and put in place only to shut up Caleb/Spencer shippers (I was one) and all the talk of Caleb being the best boyfriend (again, I was one who said that).

I am trying really, really hard to hold out till the end. I have invested so much time into the show. But this might have been the last straw. I don't even know what happened this episode. I didn't know what happened last ep until I read the recap (and I watched both episodes). I just can't do it anymore.

• Love 5

Right, that's the thing. There's no longer a reason to go back for the story, so I'm just back for the characters I liked. And quite frankly, tarnishing Spencer, Hannah, and Caleb especially..just..ugh...

Hopefully they return to their former selves.  

• Love 3
(edited)

mercfan3, I would love for Hanna, Spencer, and Caleb to return to their former awesome selves. Those three were long my favorites and I loved the relationships between them. Hanna and Spencer were frequently my favorite Liars both together and interdependently.  I really liked Haleb and Caleb was by far the best boyfriend on the show.  And I loved Spencer and Caleb as friends.  I liked them together romantically too, but I wasn't looking for that pairing to happen (granted, I'm not a particularly avid shipper).

All of that said, I'm not sure Caleb can come back from this for me.  The girls, yes, but Caleb?.... After this last episode, I just don't know.  It's bad enough that last half season started with it appearing that Caleb was  more ready to be with Spencer than the reverse.  He seemed to be waiting for her to come around to it and when she finally did, he leaped to cross the last threshold at which she seemed to be hesitating.  Then he acts like a jealous ass about Toby being near Spencer's dress.  So to have him be the one who is "drawn to" his ex made him look like a jerk anyway.  

But last night was just painful.  He literally walked away from Hanna's rejection of his opening right to taking Spencer home.  Then he was coxing Spencer to bed mere hours later. NOPE.  

Side note, anyone else find the Spencer/Caleb conversation after she was fired odd but telling.  Spencer and Caleb apparently have been living near one another, I think in DC, and getting close for the last few years.  Spencer mentions that she might go to Harrisburg with her mom and neither of them even react to the idea that she would change towns.  Even friends usually have some reaction to a person moving away. 

10 hours ago, Peanut6711 said:

I think Liam was actually trying to cut on Ezra even in that literary reference statement. He mentions the book Lolita, which is about an older man and preteen girl. The book has always been controversial but it's more known in popular culture by the term "Loilita" becoming a reference to young, seductive, possibly even trashy girls. So by Liam bringing it into the conversation I suspect he was trying to say that Ezra thinks his book (and his life, no doubt) is some epic romance with Aria or Nicole (at this point I think he's merged the girls into one and we'll probably see that confusion play out when Nicole turns up alive) but it really reads as trashy or creepy smut, to which he's concerned about Aria's role in it. So score another point for Liam. Although you make a very valid point as well--most guys in their twenties have enough sense and available women their own age without having to dip into the high school dating pool for a girlfriend, one no less that probably comes with curfews, naive or limited experience with life, and no ID to get into a bar or club for a night out. At this point, even with the girls out of college, any time I see Ezra with the Scooby gang I think he still looks silly and out of place, a thirty year old chasing ghosts and playing with dolls. ;-)

I agree that Liam bringing up Lolita was a dig. That book is not a romance. 

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 2

The love triangle with Spencer/Caleb/Hanna had no reason to happen when they were all going to come back together. They already had enough going on with said characters and there was no need for it if the plan was they were always going to have Hanna/Caleb and Spencer/Toby reunite-which we know is going to happen. They already had Hanna engaged to someone else and Toby with someone else, no need for that love triangle. All it did for me was ruin characters I loved. I do have a soft spot for people who wanted Caleb and Spencer to be together and were happy about it and I understand why they're upset, I went through a similar situation on another show (see, gossip girl) and then sat around when the show ended the way it did and didn't understand why they did what they did if the plan was just to make it null and void, so I get it. But this is why I now don't really invest much in tv couples, as of late. But sometimes when they threw any pairing together, it does have consequences with how I view the characters, I really disliked Spencer through most of these last two episodes and most of last season. And Caleb and Hanna. It's just.. they should not have done it. 

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, RachelKM said:

I agree that Liam bringing up Lolita was a dig. That book is not a romance. 

I found that pretty confusing.  The Lolita reference definitely applies to Ezria, but I thought Aria's chapters in the book were supposed to be from Nicole's perspective.  Nicole was an adult when she met Ezra.  If this book is about their purported tragic romance, how is Liam getting a Lolita vibe from it?  Ezra should have raised that objection:  "What do you mean, Lolita?  The Nicole character is 24 years old."  Or did they fictionalize the Nichole character in the book into a teen?  If so,.... WHY?  Why would Aria do that?  Its so creepy. 

Incidentally, I think we need to start a pool on which episode Nichole pops up in.  I'm hoping it's 7.07 or earlier.

• Love 1

My cousin in in her mid twenties and I am....not.  This is one of the few shows we have in common.  She likes the romance of Ezra and Aria.  Plus she thinks Ezra is cute.   I think it is creepy.

Maybr it is and age thing.  Way back when I thought Angel and Buffy had smoking hot chemistry but then again I enjoyed their destruction has much as their initial romance.  

Which is why I thought Ezra was at his most interesting when we thought he was A.  Although he is fairly interesting now thay people like Liam are taking swipes at him,  yeah no.  Not sexy.  Kinda creepy actually.  Still the writing is on point. 

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, mac123x said:

I found that pretty confusing.  The Lolita reference definitely applies to Ezria, but I thought Aria's chapters in the book were supposed to be from Nicole's perspective.  Nicole was an adult when she met Ezra.  If this book is about their purported tragic romance, how is Liam getting a Lolita vibe from it?  Ezra should have raised that objection:  "What do you mean, Lolita?  The Nicole character is 24 years old."  Or did they fictionalize the Nichole character in the book into a teen?  If so,.... WHY?  Why would Aria do that?  Its so creepy. 

Incidentally, I think we need to start a pool on which episode Nichole pops up in.  I'm hoping it's 7.07 or earlier.

I think Liam said he was addressing Ezra's hero's backstory.  The book is a fictional account, which is why they were talking about Ezra's character, rather than Ezra directly.  I don't know why Ezra put that back story in, perhaps he's merged Aria and Nicole in his fictional heroine. I have no idea why he would do that other than for the writers to give Liam an opportunity to put the Ezria travesty together.

2 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

My cousin in in her mid twenties and I am....not.  This is one of the few shows we have in common.  She likes the romance of Ezra and Aria.  Plus she thinks Ezra is cute.   I think it is creepy.

Maybr it is and age thing.  Way back when I thought Angel and Buffy had smoking hot chemistry but then again I enjoyed their destruction has much as their initial romance.  

Which is why I thought Ezra was at his most interesting when we thought he was A.  Although he is fairly interesting now thay people like Liam are taking swipes at him,  yeah no.  Not sexy.  Kinda creepy actually.  Still the writing is on point. 

I think it is an age thing.  When I was a teenager, I thought it was awesome when a guy who was 22 liked me.  I didn't have the perspective necessary to understand that a mature adult is unlikely to want to spend time with a person who is at such a different stage in her life.  As I got older, I came to see that most of the time, the "men" who were interested in high school girls 5 to 9 years their junior were seriously immature and/or emotionally stunted. 

Ezra had a teaching degree by the time he met [in person as opposed to his existing stalking] Aria whom I think was supposed to be 15, maybe 16.   He's at least 6 years her senior.  Heck, he'd already been engaged. 

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

The love triangle with Spencer/Caleb/Hanna had no reason to happen when they were all going to come back together. They already had enough going on with said characters and there was no need for it if the plan was they were always going to have Hanna/Caleb and Spencer/Toby reunite-which we know is going to happen. They already had Hanna engaged to someone else and Toby with someone else, no need for that love triangle. All it did for me was ruin characters I loved. I do have a soft spot for people who wanted Caleb and Spencer to be together and were happy about it and I understand why they're upset, I went through a similar situation on another show (see, gossip girl) and then sat around when the show ended the way it did and didn't understand why they did what they did if the plan was just to make it null and void, so I get it. But this is why I now don't really invest much in tv couples, as of late. But sometimes when they threw any pairing together, it does have consequences with how I view the characters, I really disliked Spencer through most of these last two episodes and most of last season. And Caleb and Hanna. It's just.. they should not have done it. 

Exactly. They could have had Caleb and Spencer as bffs supporting each other. Instead, they wanted the sexual chemistry that Troian and Tyler have on screen for a few shows, only to destroy the characters a bit. 

Caleb can come back for me, depending on how he behaves moving forward. When Caleb first arrived, he screwed up..and groveled and apologized when he screwed up. That happening would help. The rest of the men in this town have years worth of disgusting behavior for me to put him in that category. 

Hannah and Spencer. Of course I'll still love them. But I want to see some honesty, apologies and forgiveness from all three. Act like the awesome mature characters they all are. 

Although I don't agree with the idea that Caleb was ready as soon as Spencer was. I think Spencer had feelings as far back as Spain. I think Caleb was sexually attracted to a good friend. 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, mercfan3 said:

Hannah and Spencer. Of course I'll still love them. But I want to see some honesty, apologies and forgiveness from all three. Act like the awesome mature characters they all are. 

Although I don't agree with the idea that Caleb was ready as soon as Spencer was. I think Spencer had feelings as far back as Spain. I think Caleb was sexually attracted to a good friend. 

I want that for Spencer and Hanna too, because I love their friendship and don't want it ruined.  Caleb needs to also come to terms with his own feelings before trying to get involved with anyone else.

And lastly, I agree that it was Spencer with the deeper feelings--she talked about how magical their trip to Spain was and how it was the best time in her life and the entire time she's speaking, she's making cow eyes at Caleb.  Caleb just seems like he likes Spencer, he cares for her, likes hanging out with her, but that's it.  Nothing much deeper.

• Love 1
(edited)

Depth of feelings aside, I really do think Caleb was the one ready to try being romantically involved before Spencer was. He seemed to be waiting on her.  When she hesitantly finally approached the topic, he was the one who made physical contact and assured her he wanted to be with her too.  That doesn't necessarily establish who felt more, but it indicates who was more removed from Hanna as an obstacle.  

The flashback to Spain showed a lot of Spencer putting space between them and Caleb closing distances and issuing invitations.  This may well show that she was feeling tension of which, at the time, he was not aware or that he wasn't as bothered by the feelings.  I'm more inclined toward the latter, because Caleb appeared aware of the proximity too, just not as uncomfortable.

And, at the start of the half season, to me Caleb seemed pretty smitten.  I actually find the idea that Caleb was simply sexually attracted to a friend sort of diminishing to him.  Why would he do that to Spencer, Hanna or Spencer & Hanna over nothing more than a simple attraction?  It was obvious that Spencer was bothered by the potential impact on Hanna and it should have bothered Caleb too.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, mac123x said:

I think Liam first dropped the Lolita reference in that conversation as a way to say, 'Yeah I understand the older guy/younger girl appeal because I read the book, not because I actually experienced it personally.' That was his first cut on Ezra. A reminder that he was smarter and classier.  Then I think he was questioning how Aria's role in both the book and his life was going to play out publicly. Her reputation--both personal and professional as the co-writer/editor is at stake. Aria and Ezra both seem oblivious to the fact that their personal relationship is likely to come to light if they go on a publicity tour together and the story becomes more sensationalized. 

6 minutes ago, kitmerlot1213 said:

.  Caleb just seems like he likes Spencer, he cares for her, likes hanging out with her, but that's it.  Nothing much deeper.

Oh I definitely got the vibe that Caleb has been boning for Spencer for quite a while. Definitely back in Spain and then as soon as he made good with Toby about the relationship once back in town there was no putting on the breaks. Heck, he was still trying to sex Spencer up after trying to get back with Hannah. He might not be in love with her but he's in some serious lust. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Maybe next time they can add some plot to the "most romantic season ever" snoozefest.

Rollins and Mary are two of the least interesting villains ever. Especially the former. The guy is about as scary as a teddy bear.

If only the girls were smart enough to, you know, call Jason to check if Rollins really got his approval for not allowing anyone to visit Alison. But no, they had to look for help from Mary who they think is up to no good.

You would think the Liars would at least try to find some clues in the barn of horrors where Hanna was held prisoner but no, they apparently can't be bothered.

I have to say, I did laugh when Emily failed to recognize Alison's voice on the phone.

I wonder how long it will take for Liam to quit. Having to deal with the high school antics of Ezzzria and having to improve their dreadful book? I would rather be unemployed, to be honest.

Remember the time when we went emtire episodes and even whole seasons without the plot revolving about mental institutions? Can't they think of some other plot device? Radley was turned into a hotel and now they can't stop talking about Welby.

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 4