Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: The Winds of Winter

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Keely said:

Right? I loved the scene and I love Jon but damn. They'd rather bend knee to a bastard (their issue and tone not mine) than ever bend knee to the woman who is, as far as they know, the rightful heir? I shouldn't be surprised by that but I find it vaguely annoying at the same time.

They didn't bend a knee to Jon until he proved himself in battle as a leader of fighting men. I don't find this surprising at all for the north.

I think if Brienne had led a charge like Jon did, they would have declared her queen, just like Danyeris with her dragons.

• Love 13
2 minutes ago, soulza said:

what i have suspected all season finally was proven about Jons parents ,we know neds sister was his mother ,and also we now know the king was his father ?

this makes snow the true decendant to the throne.

The Prince, Rhaegar Targaryen, was likely Jon's father.

• Love 13
(edited)

the King had a thing with ned starks sister ,he mentions it in the very first episode, she got preganent , and had  the kings bastard child , in season one we assumed it was the blacksmiths son and was put off the scent ,its jon snow ,mark my words .

remember the big fuss about the king having a bastard son?

Edited by soulza
  • Love 2
(edited)
11 minutes ago, soulza said:

what i have suspected all season finally was proven about Jons parents ,we know neds sister was his mother ,and also we now know the king was his father ?

this makes snow the true decendant to the throne.

It makes him a descendant but not the true descendant. Dany remains the rightful heir. Whether Jon's father is the king or the prince, he would still be a bastard by their counting.

Edited by Keely
  • Love 5

Apparently Brienne and Pod are the only ones not aware of Littlefinger's teleporter or else they would've been at Winterfell by now.

That library was amazing.

I liked Cersei's crown. Loved Jaime's "wtf have you done?" look.

Davos got me all hot and bothered when he stormed angrily into the room to tell on Melisandre. Dude's hot. Where the hell is Ghost?

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, dangwoodchucks said:

Apparently Brienne and Pod are the only ones not aware of Littlefinger's teleporter or else they would've been at Winterfell by now.

Varys hasn't given it back yet.

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, soulza said:

no he would be the true heir to the throne , there was such a fuss in series one to find the kings bastard because he was the true heir

You have it confused. Lyanna Stark was supposed to marry the eventual King, Robert Baratheon, but she was kidnapped/ran off with Rhaeger Targaryen and had a son with him, Jon Snow. The search for the king's bastards was instigated by Joffrey, his supposed son by Cersei Lannister, in order to murder them all and eliminate any other potential claimants. One had nothing to do with the other.

• Love 13
(edited)
1 hour ago, bluvelvet said:

A bit confused about Arya, how did she have access to the face changing if she is not a faceless man?  Did Jaquen give her leave to use faces at will? Is she a faceless man? Is this what Jaquen meant when he said she is truly no one?

Well, she knew how to carve off A Waif's face and place it in the hall, even if it was a little bloody. I think at this point Arya can acquire her own faces, she just doesn't have anywhere to store thousands of them like Faceless Men do. That training way paid off. She butchered the entire Frey line and made into damn meat pies and no one noticed! Go Arya! The look of bliss on her face was...terrifying. I wouldn't be surprised if she goes back to actually be No One once the list is complete. I can't imagine her reintegrating with what's left of her family and being happy, she's caught the bug now. 

OMG JON SNOW IS A TARG?!! That is awesome! It also solves the issue of who the hell Dany's going to leave the throne too once she reigns hellfire on all of Westeros. Because she's already said repeatedly she'll never bear another child. So Jon will be her heir, and Sansa will be wardeness (sp?) of the North. Love that she didn't fall for LF's half-assed tru wuv act. That man only had love in his heart for one women, and she's dead. She's probably going to have to marry him anyway to keep him from trying to murder Jon and take the north for himself. Though he should be able to see by now that the houses of the north would never acknowledge him. They gave them 2s of consideration for actually saving their asses before falling over themselves to lick Jon's boots. 

I am legit annoyed that Jon didn't apologize for not listening and charging like a dumbass right into Ramsay's trap. Ugh. And, seriously, what is the point of sending Melisandre away? Kill her, or use her, don't abdicate responsibility because you can't deal that your resurrecter is practices infanticide. And her retort to Davos was exactly fair. He's venting all his rage on her because he can't bear to acknowledge that his liege, his king, that he broke his back to build up as an honorable and just man, was willing to burn his only child alive to win. And not even win the iron throne, just win Winterfell. She is so going to turn back up, because the war with the white walkers is the only other thing she took just as seriously as finding her lord. There's no way she'll run from the battle to come. 

I knew Septa Una was going to get it. But damn, Cersei went all in, I can't believe it. I also can't believe she left Tommen alone after roasting his wife alive in front of him. She knew that he was stupid and good, did she expect for this to push him full dark side and he'd be like "hey, good one mom, ready to follow your every command now!" Jamie's going to murder her when he finds out what she did. She just killed the main Lannister line (since she doesn't know Tyrion is still alive). She can't have kids, and no way she's going to let Jamie touch another woman, and Lancel just died under the Sept of Balor. Talk about Pyrrhic victory. 

Wow, Dany is ice cold. Daario was all the way on his knees offering anything to stay and she was like "Did I f****** stutter? Rule Mereen, gtfo, my boats are ready." Considering how arrogant the 1st Faabrio was, that was a big sacrifice for him to lay it all out like that. Yup, you were right man, she's a conqueror. Moving on to the next heart, she's done with you. It's a distinct injustice that Jorah didn't get to be there to be like "haha, what were you saying about my being old and not good enough for her?"

Edited by rozen
  • Love 12

Well, the story moved along smartly this week! AFT.

Damn, that was some annihilation program, but I will sorely miss Maergery. (I'm allowing myself an off-the-wall fan wank that Maergery got thrown clear of the explosion. Yes, I'm ridiculous that way sometimes, and am not ready to say goodbye to Maergery just yet.)

It will be interesting to see how Lady Olenna revenges herself on Cersei. But alliances with the crazy killers of Dorne? Take great care, Olenna...And just how strong is support for Cersei as a ruler?

Why, exactly, didn't Jon let Davos kill Melisandre? I kept hoping either Jon or Davos would rip off her necklace.

I hope that he isn’t in love with Daenerys.

I think he is—he looked at her so meaningfully when he said that Dario wouldn't be the last to fall in love with her.

What was the deal with Varys in Dorne?  And then back again in Mereen in time to catch the ship?  

I know, right? Good shorthand though, for letting us know Varys is in with all the plotting.

but was she looking back at him defiantly because Jon is now an obstacle for the Iron Throne, or was did she look worried about Jon stealing her birthright? Hmmm 

I'm interpreting it as “Now, how do I get rid of this duplicitous prick?”

I saw Arya kill Frey, but missed the pie bit (letting dog out), so definitely need to watch again.

• Love 7

OMG. I hate Cersei. I hate Cersei. I hate Cersei. That is my takeaway from this episode.  

So, Jon is the King in the North? Not that much cop these days, kings are all dropping like flies. At least Sansa told Baelish what's what.

Ha, for Arya taking out Walder Frey. SHE avenged the Red Wedding. I had a feeling it was her when there were only the two of them in the scene.

So, Highgarden is decimated. House Bolton is gone. House Frey is pretty well gone. House Tully is on shaky ground, though better off than they were last week. What a bloodbath the last two episodes have been.

Bye, Daario. 

Did I mention I hate Cersei? I hate Cersei. She didn't even seem all that cut up about Tommen. So much for caring about her kids above all else. I can't think of a fate bad enough for her. BTW, that goes for Qyburn, too.

• Love 8
4 minutes ago, Katalina said:

I'm interpreting it as “Now, how do I get rid of this duplicitous prick?”

I am going with your interpretation. I am still hoping that Sansa stabs Littlefinger in the heart before the end of the series.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Well, after getting her ass kicked by the High Sparrow all season, she sure won when it counted. Savor your victory, Cersei, as you scatter the ashes of your last child. And you've got the Queens of Dragons and Thorns coming for your ass.

Dragons and Thorns and Snakes, oh my!

Winter is Here!  I was not expecting it to be Cersei sitting on the Iron Throne when Winter finally got here. 

Jon and Sansa were unexpectedly amused about the arrival of Winter...I guess they'd been telling people it was coming for so long...lol. 

I wonder where Arya is going next?

• Love 5

Lady Mormont rocks! I love her! She has true grit.

So glad to see Sansa get her revenge on Fray. The Fray boys! It's what's for dinner! Straight out of "Titus Andronicus."

Cersei never thinks things through does she? Even though she hated Margaery, she should have kept her at the keep for Tommen's sake. Loved Lady Oleanna shutting up those Sand Snakes.

• Love 12
8 minutes ago, Katalina said:

I saw Arya kill Frey, but missed the pie bit (letting dog out), so definitely need to watch again.

The pie full of Frey's sons was perfect symmetry to the Rat Cook story.

Bran told the story of the Rat Cook to Jojen and Meera back in the day as our intro to the sanctity of Guest Right... shortly afterwards, Walder Frey disregards Guest Right at the Red Wedding... then eventually is murdered after eating a pie made from his sons, as the King did in the Rat Cook story. 

Beautiful. 

• Love 19
9 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Loved Lady Oleanna shutting up those Sand Snakes.

I loved Olenna putting them in their place. She rocks. Even grieving Olenna is up for planning vengeance on the Lannisters.

The reunion of Tyrion, Jaime, and Tyrion will be classic. I can't wait.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm sad about Margary, but also oddly good with the happenings at King's Landing.You have to admit it was a hell of a baller move on her part, and once again her scheming came back to bite her in the ass, hard. All her children are gone. Now she can sit on the Iron Throne, her children all dead, and wait for Dany and her dragons to take away the last thing she has left.

Edited by AlliMo
  • Love 10

On the one hand - everybody's dead!! - but on the other - that was perfect!! Seismic changes for next season.

Cersei ascending to the throne was everything she ever wanted but the cost in terms of what she has paid and will pay is staggering. She has to know that Tommen chose death because she took everything he held dear away from him. Her grip on the throne would be unsustainable even if Dany had chosen the scenic route to Westeros - she is utterly alone. 

I loved the little things in this one - the Sparrow's face when he realized he was wrong but his pride wouldn't allow him to evacuate, Sansa's face when she realized Jon is an obstacle to Littlefinger and that she needs to protect him,  Cersei's armor-like dress...

• Love 15

We only got confirmation of Jon's mother, right? Nothing was said or shown on screen about his father (other than it was definitely *not* Ned Stark), unless I missed it.

Crazy, crazy episode. The Kings Landing action was ridiculous; Cersei gets what she wanted, but at what price? Judging by the look on his face, I'd guess that she's lost Jamie (particularly after his speech to Walder Frey: he's a changed man. Brienne, look out!). Was surprised there were enough supporters left to see her coronation. I refused to believe that Margaery didn't get out of the Red Keep until her grandmother confirmed her death. That one stings: I'd loved watching her scheme her way around this show and will miss her machinations.

Love that Varyas brought the Dorne and Tyrrell alliance to Dany's side. Had hoped Jorah would have been back, though, for the journey to Westeros.

Sansa's smackdown of Little Finger was beautiful, as was her scene with Jon. I'm worried about LF's smirking during the King of the North scene, though, and what that means for the Starks.

Arya freakin' Stark. Avenging her mother and brother's deaths with style. Cannot wait for her return to Winterfell. 

• Love 6
(edited)
3 minutes ago, sportsgirl said:

We only got confirmation of Jon's mother, right? Nothing was said or shown on screen about his father (other than it was definitely *not* Ned Stark), unless I missed it.

The story has been told about Lyanna being "kidnapped" by Rhaegar Targaryen. He is Jon's father. This makes Jon Daenerys' nephew.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8

Just watched thee finale on HBO Go from my Roku.  All I can say is wow, wow, freaking wow!   What a great 75 minutes of television.  Cersie is amazing in a perverse way.  With the short hair she looks like a true warrior queen and Leann Headly is perfect.  She can say more without saying anything than many actors can with pages of dialogue.  The closing scene of Dany and her armada sailing west with her dragons flying overhead was spectacular.  On HBO Go there were two features, one about the closer and another which was a "making of" covering episodes 9 and 10.  The looks of sheer joy on the actors faces when they were talking about filming the finale and then seeing the actual rendered footage was terrific.

• Love 5

Great season ender. Not as amazing as the episode prior but good ending. I do love that it is going to be Queen vs Queen though. Although Dany couldn't have planned it better because Cersei is going be bringing that bitch down from the inside. 

I am a girl but I would totally Yentl it up to get into that Maester library! "Papa, can you hear me?"

I do wish they had shown the Night King and his dead troops marching towards the wall or something. I think I would have preferred that as the ender as opposed to Dany -- AGAIN!

I know I am probably about 3 times older than Lady Mormont but I want to apprentice under her so she can show me how to be a boss and give good face. Take me under your tutelage. Show me your ways!

So what exactly did The Mountain do to that nun? Do I even want to know?

YAS Arya! I swear my stomach turned when Frey was licking his lips over the new hot serving girl! Ugh. So glad the bastard is dead and by a Stark's hand. 

Red Witch? Bye Felicia!

So just how the hell are paralyzed Bran and his companion supposed to get over the wall? I mean, is there like a door you knock on and the Knights Watch answer? 

Where the hell was Lancel stabbed that he couldn't walk at all?

Poor Margarey. She tried to play the game and really got gamed.  

I groaned when they showed the Sand Snakes in the previews but Olenna made it better by telling all the youngster to STFU!

• Love 15

Hate to say anything good about Cersei, but I loved her silver shoulder plates.

That Library is awesome! The guy at the desk was a dick, making Sam practically crawl up on the desk to give him the letter.

• Love 7
11 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

The story has been told about Lyanna being "kidnapped" by Rhaegar Targaryen. He is Jon's father. This makes Jon Daenerys' nephew.

Yes, but we also know that Lyanna was involved with/engaged to Robert Baratheon. So Jon's parentage, at least from what we know from the show, is still unclear, right? There's a possibility that she could have been pregnant before she was kidnapped; I originally asked because I may have missed or forgotten dialogue on the show that proved otherwise. (Because with this show, there's no way I'm assuming anything that's not actually said. #NotDeadHound) 

• Love 4

Varys said of Petyr Baelish some people want to be king of the ash. That is Cersei. Cersei is fucking crazy. Winter is here. What remains of House Lannister has enemies at every turn. She knows the Martells in Dorne are still gunning for her. The Lannisters have a tenuous hold on the Riverlands and the Brotherhood without Banners have been picking off Lannisters here and there. She just decimated House Tyrrell, which is doubly stupid because the Reach supplies the food for Westeros and winter is here. Dany is coming across the narrow sea with her ships, the unsullied, all of the dothraki hordes, and 3 dragons. She doesn't even know about the rebellion in the North and Walder Frey. Any remaining allies that she has are going to be looking to kill her at the first sign of weakness because she isn't to be trusted and she has no heirs. When she blew up the Great Sept she also killed uncle Kevan who was the hand of the king and Margaery, the Queen. She's just someone who can't be trusted to not stab her allies in the back.

On the plus side now that she's queen, Cersei can openly marry Jaime just like a Targaryen. On the minus side, Jaime likely thinks Cersei is an irredeemable monster.

Arya Stark killing Walder Frey's sons and then feeding them to him is hardcore and more than a little unhinged. Hopefully she released poor unless Edmure from the dungeon. Maybe she'll run into Nymeria next season.

Lyanna Mormont should be in charge of this everything after the dragons kill the white walkers and the Nights King.

• Love 13
(edited)

Uncle Benjen is a hot slightly dead guy.  I would.

Bran was all -- "Well, I'm the 3-eyed Raven now, got some stuff to see"  Don't get some uppity mister. You dun fucked things up the last few times.

The shot of the dragons flying gave me goosebumps. 

Jaime looked pissed. "I've been away, and now you are the Queen?"

Ayra's storyline finally pays off. That was justice served cold...with human pie. 

I got misty eyed when Jon was made the King of the North. He looked broody as usual -- worried about the undead coming. 

Lyanna Mormont is a fierce little lady, but she needs to work on her pronunciation. 

Edited by Moon Martini
  • Love 8

PERFECT finale !!!  LOVED the music and visuals !!!    Cried at the Tower of Joy scene/Jon's face ~~~  

I must have missed something sometime in the past.  Would someone explain the Jon/Targaryen connection??? I try, but I just cant' get there !

Thanks !!

Withdrawal til next year...

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, sportsgirl said:

Yes, but we also know that Lyanna was involved with/engaged to Robert Baratheon. So Jon's parentage, at least from what we know from the show, is still unclear, right? There's a possibility that she could have been pregnant before she was kidnapped; I originally asked because I may have missed or forgotten dialogue on the show that proved otherwise. (Because with this show, there's no way I'm assuming anything that's not actually said. #NotDeadHound) 

I think Lyanna said something like "Robert would kill him if he knew", which I assumed meant that Jon was Rhaegar's child.

• Love 16
8 minutes ago, sportsgirl said:

there is no reason to hide Jon from Robert if he is Robert's son.

• Love 15
(edited)
10 minutes ago, sportsgirl said:

No, I don't think that is unclear. If Jon was Robert's son, why would she whisper to Ned that Robert would kill him? Why wouldn't Ned tell Robert that Lyanna had his son? Given the number of illegitimate children that Robert had, it is clear that he didn't go around killing them. Jon was in no danger from Robert if he was his father.

This is exactly my problem with the show not spelling out Jon's parentage. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4

Man, that was an awesome season finale (almost made up for the TERRIBLE Penny Dreadful series finale the week prior)!!

I feel rewarded for not giving up on the show after most of last season.  

Jon is so central to this story.  He's been Lord Commander, fought the white walkers north of the wall, was resurrected, fought the Boltons, killed Ramses, and is now King in the North, the White Wolf.  AND, he's Lyanna's son!  Based on the whispering from Lyanna about not telling Robert b/c he'll kill the baby, I'm assuming Dany's bro is the father.  If accurate, that makes Jon a Targ/Stark!  I'm not sure what the implications of that are, but wooo boooy, is that going to make a splash.

I enjoyed the scenes between Jon and Sansa.   Alone, their conversation was nicely handled and I'm glad she came clean.  I would have liked Jon to point out a little more clearly that she was correct re: Ramses' approaches to battle, but enjoyed his point that the Knight of the Vale came b/c of her.  I also loved them sitting at the front table together.  She's wrong b/c she's a woman and he's wrong b/c he's a bastard.  Yet, I love the reverence for the north remembers and how Northerners feel so strongly like they aren't going to bend the knee.  I think the leadership of Jon and Sansa together would be interesting.

Lady Mormont is my spirit animal.  This little girl just kills her scenes.  She's so tiny and fierce!  I love her calling Manderley and Glover and the others out.  You know, she has been a true supporter from day one.  She deserves a place on Jon's counsel, as she's clearly a wise leader.  

Littlefinger is gross.  Aiden Gillen is a good looking man, but Littlefinger is slimy.  I hope Sansa is smart enough to play this game correctly and keep her cousin (!) Jon safe from Littlefinger's machinations.  

So 2 years of Arya being in Bravos was almost made worth it tonight!  Man, Walder Frey and his sons deserved what they received.  It was such a good callback to the Red Wedding where Arya is the Stark child there for the carnage, but now she's the one avenging Robb and Cat.

Man, Cercei would be no good at chess.  Her long game is lacking.  I enjoyed the High Sparrow getting his, but mourn Loras and Margaery.  But, at what cost?  All her children are dead and their deaths are very much her fault in many ways.  Jamie is a different man now and he can see what she is (IMO, I think that's what the look at her coronation was about). The people do not like her; the common folk hate her and she's pissed off nobles houses in the North, the Dornish, the Tyrells.  That was the most somber, joyless coronation ever.  And, I hope she savors that ugly chair b/c she's not going to be keeping it for very long.

Which leads me to Dany...I think her biggest factor before this season were the dragons.  This time in Mereen and Vaes Dothraki and the emergence of Varys, Tyrion (esp him), Greyworm and Missendei as her advisors has been a queen's training ground.  Of the players on the board, she has the most going into the fight and has had the good sense, for all her faults, to listen to those around her.  I can't wait to see her take on Westeros.  I hope she aligns with the North and keeps Jon/Sansa as rulers of the North.

Finally, the library!  I could care less about Sam and Gilly, but that library was breathtaking (I'm a book nerd, so I can't even).

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, cynic said:

I think Lyanna said something like "Robert would kill him if he knew", which I assumed meant that Jon was Rhaegar's child.

I just rewatched the episode with closed caption , along with the "promise me/protect me.."it said " Robert would..... if he knew", but I heard "kill him"  whispered in between there, which I assume to mean Robert would kill the baby .  Given the introduction we got to Lyanna earlier in the season I think she rode to the beat of her own drum and probably fell in love.

Something else of rewatch, Sansa thought Jon should take the master bedroom not her, which tells me she see's him as head of household so I don't see her having an issue with him being declared King in the North.

Have to say about Cersei, she knew Tommen had  weak mind, she should have given him milk of the poppy or something to get him to sleep while she executed her plans. A day later he may have been distraught but probably wouldn't have killed himself.  I did like Tommen though, poor sap that he was.  Poor Margery, she knew what was up and they prevented her from leaving. Hopefully there are some distant Tyrells around the place so that the house isn't dead

Also did Arya kill all the Frey sons or just those two because Walder has A LOT of children..A LOT! Also I still want to know how she got the face? did she kill an innocent and steal it or is there another explanation?

Edited by bluvelvet
added Arya comment
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Could Benjen maybe have left Bran and Meera the horse? How the hell is she going to haul him around? 

If Benjen was "part dead", then his horse was also probably "part dead"... which kinda means you actually can beat a dead horse.

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Winnief said:

Not if Rhaegar *married* Lyanna.  The Targaryens and Valyrian's took multiple wives and indeed Aegon the Conqueror was married to both his sisters. 

This precisely. It also makes Robert's Rebellion completely unjustified. If Jon is the legitimate son of Rhaegar and Lyanna, everything that Robert and Ned have done to "rescue" Lyanna is treason and punishable by death. It's better that no one know, especially Robert who was in love with Lyanna and would be devastated by her betrayal. Lyanna put all of Westeros in jeopardy because she couldn't let her family know that she fell for Rhaegar.

• Love 9
42 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

And she was being guarded by Kings Guardsmen, which seems pretty conclusive that it's Rhaegar's child.

• Love 6

Loved this episode and this season. 

The worst kept secret regarding Jon Snow's parentage is finally revealed. Thank you, D&D for not dragging it out anymore. 

Lady Lyanna remains awesome. 

Someone finally recognized Tyrion's worth. Love that scene between him and Dany as she names him Hand of the Queen. 

Arya finally avenges her mother, brother, and sister-in-law and House Stark in one move. She is awesome. 

Cersie, The Mad Queen is finally born. 

Bye Margaery. You tried to play the game and the game played you back tenfolds. 

After many seasons, Daenerys Targaryen is finally heading for Westeros. Yes! FUCK YES!!!

• Love 10