Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: The Winds of Winter

• Start Topic

27 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

So I'm guessing Dany is going to marry Jon Snow.  Sigh. Predictable and I think he could do better but Ok, whatever.  

I know it was the Targaryen thing to do to marry in your family, but neither Jon nor Dany seem the sort to marry their aunt/nephew.

So I wonder is Jon his real name?   Did they soften that part to keep the "mystery" until they cut to Jon, or is his real name still to be revealed?

• Love 1

So I guess that's it for Essos finally?

Yeah Arya and Varys both used teleporters this episode, and Brienne must have gotten stuck in the mud.  

Cerie obviously has some mad Targaryn blood in her. And yes totally expect that Jamie will add Queenslayer to his titles. 

Like all the girl power, and Jon is looking like the only marriageable man around.

• Love 4

Holy fucking shit SO MUCH ! I loved everything, even DORNE, and I had pretty much given up on Dorne. can't wait to rewatch. Also, Lyanna Mormont is a BOSS. 

• Love 15
1 minute ago, InsertWordHere said:

This has always been my favorite part of the R+L=J theory. Ned Stark, who couldn't play the Game at all, completely fooled all these people. He fooled them so well, that it never even occurred to anyone at all that his bastard wasn't his son. He kept his promise, and when he had to choose between love and honor, he did what was right. You go, Ned Stark. 

well, to be fair......nobody really paid attention to the north unless they need soldiers to fight a war, so the north is the best place to keep a secret.

3 minutes ago, huahaha said:

I really wish some of those story lines had had a chance to breathe. At first, I didn't even understand why Olenna was in mourning -- how could she know so quickly, and then head to Dorne, no less? (Varys' journey can only be explained through cloning or teleporter.) The actress's performance didn't help. Her usual relaxed insouciance was inappropriate considering she had just lost her son, granddaughter, and grandson.

I thought that scene was weirdly placed, too. It's like they wanted to hold back all the big moments for eps 9 and 10, and consequently all the fallout had to be shoehorned in directly afterward. Her black dress was really the only indicator in that scene that she was supposed to be in mourning (and served the dual purpose of tying her in with all the other badass ladies in black).

• Love 2

So, Meera's line "are you ready for this?" was totally D&D talking to the fans, right?

Lady Mormont is the shit.

"They're right here".  Owwwwwwwww mothafuckin' pie!

Septa Ulenna, "He's your god now".  

I forgive the earlier part of the season.

• Love 6

Okay one teeny-tiny complaint:  How did Team Cersei know that Lancel would be the one that the High Sparrow sent to fetch Cersei?  Okay, I can hand-wave that one away because he led the group that went to fetch her the last time but then WHY did Lancel follow the sparrow-kid?  He was just given a pretty important assignment -- "Fetch the Queen" -- and instead he starts following some random kid for no particular reason. 

And can we just talk about the mad skills that kid had?  He was able to stab Lancel once and hit just the right spot that would cripple him but not kill him so that he could crawl painfully toward the candles but not reach them in time to do anything about them.  I mean that is some Jame-Bond-Villian-Level plotting (and I'm talking Sean Connery Bond, not Daniel Craig Bond.)

Still, it was satisfying to see that sanctimonious little zealot meet his end.

• Love 9
9 minutes ago, Kate87 said:

Tyrion/Dany: I almost cried when she made him Hand of the Queen. It was so nice to see him recognized for himself, rather than being given something because of who he is. I love how their relationship has developed the season. I also thought Dany was greatly improved this episode. 

Yes! I loved this scene. I may have become a little misty as well. All his life Tyrion has just wanted to be respected by someone for his brain, and finally Dany has given him that. Aw, yeah. Hand of the Queen. 

Also forgot to mention that I loved the little smiles between Sansa and Lyanna Mormont. The Queens in the North!

• Love 21
9 minutes ago, stagmania said:

I think they held that piece back intentionally, probably so they can play it as another reveal next season, when Jon will presumably learn the truth.

I think they held back to leave open the question of whether Jon is a bastard or not.  Robert was the only other one that they could find a way to spin being the father but you can hear her say Robert would kill him if he found out.  So its Rhaegar. 

• Love 3

Yeah the show has to move beyond GRRM. The show was always going to have a limited amount of seasons so they had to tell the story and couldn't keep waiting.

I did like Jamie's disgust with Walder and basically telling him that the Frey's were just a joke. I almost laughed when Walder was saying that 'Frey's and Lannister's send their regards'.

RIP Margaery you shouldn't have gone out that way especially since you were the only one smart enough to realize it was a trap. The High Sparrow deserved what he got for his smugness and for underestimating the level of crazy that Cersei is.

• Love 13

So much to process. Highlight number two - and I thought I couldn't love Davos any more than I already did. He was spectacular tonight and I love him with all my heart! Love, love, love him!

So the only moment where I actually yelled at the TV was when Ellaria/Varys got the line 'Justice. Vengeance. Fire and Blood.' I yelled 'fuck you!' becaause, yeah, fuck you D&D. Bleah Dorne women, hate em. Love Olenna for putting them in their place.

• Love 2

I decided that I better respond now rather then wait until the morning because there may be 40 pages by then.  Seriously.

I thought the Finale was quite good and I couldn't believe how fast the time went by.  I was surprised with Tommen 'walking' out the window and I was seriously surprised about Margaery dying because I don't think any one could possibly survive that explosion.....that was dead center.  I will definitely enjoy seeing QoT and the Sand Snakes taking down Cersei despite my dislike of the Dorne story.  I highly doubt Jaime will be a 'Queenslayer' with the way Arya (as the young girl) looked at Jaime during the dinner at Frey's.

I am not a book reader but I came up with R+L=J some time during S1.  I feel so proud!  I had this list of names and diagrams trying to keep everything straight back then LOL.  We now know as viewers that Jon is a Stark and Targaryen but how will Jon find out?  Bran or Sam?  Maybe Sam will be the key to successfully fighting the WW's and Bran will reveal the truth to Jon.  Whoa...what if Jon never finds out?  Wouldn't that be a D&D and GRRM thing to do?

I was also surprised that Jon was enthusiastically voted/declared King of the North.  I doubt this will sit well with Sansa with Littlefinger constantly whispering in her ear.

I am happy that Arya got her revenge on Walder Frey but I mourn the death of her childhood and quite possibly her soul.  She relished her kill.  It really is sad how life can change a person. All the Starks have experienced shocking tragedies since the beginning.

I can't help but like the idea of Jon ending up eventually (5 years) with Lady Mormont.  She would be an incredible partner.  I remain very impressed with her.

10 months and counting down.  Sigh.

• Love 13
25 minutes ago, Winnief said:

And more importantly...Valonqar.

It makes perfect *political* sense for Jon to marry Dany, though I don't like the idea at all.  Frankly Jon/Sansa seems like a better match to me at this point.  Though I suppose that Jon like Rhaegar and Aegon could take multiple wives...

I haven't read the books but I do know the full prophecy and I definitely think that Jaime will be the one to kill Cersei. She has gone off the deep end and she just seemed so cold. Lena played the hell out of Cerseit tonight. As much as I despised Septa Unella, leaving her to get repeatedly raped by the Mountain is beyond the pale.. she could gave gotten back at her some other way. As a woman I am surprised Cersei chose that particular punishment.

I don't know if Jon/Dany marriage is likely since she is his aunt, although she is a Targaryen and family ties never stopped them before but I don't see the benefit in her marrying Jon since the marriage won't help her cement her position in KL. I think it can possibly go the way of Jon/Sansa since they are essentially cousins not siblings. Also the show seems to be setting them up as a unit, the scene with them at the table presiding with Jon being declared King. This is after Littlefinger tells Sansa of the picture in his head about sitting on the iron throne with Sansa at his side.. I don't think that was coincidence on the part of the show.   That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Sansa never wants to be with anyone after the horrors she suffered in her last marriage.

• Like 1
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, ShannaB said:

We now know as viewers that Jon is a Stark and Targaryen but how will Jon find out?  Bran or Sam? 

I was also surprised that Jon was enthusiastically voted/declared King of the North.  I doubt this will sit well with Sansa with Littlefinger constantly whispering in her ear.

I suspect Bran will tell him.   And Sansa was smiling when he was proclaimed King (she even said earlier he should be Lord of Winterfell) so I think she's genuinely happy for him.   I think she knows it pissed off Littlefinger, though, which is why she looked concerned.

• Love 20

Incidentally, I also thought it was a nice tie in (probably unintentional, but who knows) that there was so much focus on the burnt stag. Although Tommen went out to the soundtrack of Nelly's "I believe I can fly", Margery would technically be a Baratheon by marriage. And Tommen's death has ended the Baratheon line, except for Skipper Gendry,who I am now hoping will sail right into Dany's fleet next season. A girl can hope.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, lmsweb said:

Incidentally, I also thought it was a nice tie in (probably unintentional, but who knows) that there was so much focus on the burnt stag. Although Tommen went out to the soundtrack of Nelly's "I believe I can fly", Margery would technically be a Baratheon by marriage. And Tommen's death has ended the Baratheon line, except for Skipper Gendry,who I am now hoping will sail right into Dany's fleet next season. A girl can hope.

that's quite brilliant.

• Love 3
(edited)

Loved the episode, starting with seeing the Direwolf sigil over Winterfell in the opening credits.  (On a totally shallow note, though I wouldn't want to live on the same continent as Cersei, how much did I love that dress?)

DANY"S SAILING TO WESTEROS!!!  FINALLY!!! THANK THE OLD GODS AND THE NEW!!!

First let me say thatt the final scene, with the ships and the dragons and the horses and the music was just spectacular.  But when I read the quote above, all I could think of was ScreenJunkies Honest Trailers for Games of Thrones (1 & 2) where they keep noting how long it's taking Dany to get to Westeros!  LOL

Yes!! We get R + L=J!  And how cute was chubby-cheeked Baby!JonSnow (or whatever his real name is, which was whispered)?

Loved, loved, loved the toughest Northerner of them all: Lady Lyanna Mormont.  She took men five times her age to task and totally shamed them.  Jon needs to keep her there to kick his ass if he goes off track! 

I didn't think making Jon KITN was a slap at Sansa.  If this had been peacetime, I think she would have been seen as the Lady of Winterfell.  But it isn't.  War is coming, along with Winter.  They need a warrior--and Jon has shown himself to be a beast in a fight--especially someone who know something about the Walkers.  

I do think Sansa will be the one to "defend" against LF; she knows him the best.

I thought the Dany/Tyrion scene, with her making him her Hand, was lovely and very touching.  These last two eps have given me a greater belief that Dany may not be her father after all.

Edited by Lemuria
  • Love 15

I did like Jamie's disgust with Walder and basically telling him that the Frey's were just a joke. I almost laughed when Walder was saying that 'Frey's and Lannister's send their regards'.

Yeah, one thing that was evident in AFFC, was that the Frey's honestly believed they were now the new BFF's of the Lannister dynasty-and finding out that their so called allies actually held them in complete contempt came as a nasty shock. 

I don't know if Jon/Dany marriage is likely since she is his aunt, although she is a Targaryen and family ties never stopped them before but I don't see the benefit in her marrying Jon since the marriage won't help her cement her position in KL. I think it can possibly go the way of Jon/Sansa since they are essentially cousins not siblings. Also the show seems to be setting them up as a unit, the scene with them at the table presiding with Jon being declared King. This is after Littlefinger tells Sansa of the picture in his head about sitting on the iron throne with Sansa at his side.. I don't think that was coincidence on the part of the show. 

WORD.

• Love 5
51 minutes ago, sumiregusa said:

I'm kinda mad that we can't call him Jon anymore, since that's clearly not his name... BAH WELL.

Long live the King in the North who should really be in the South!

He's always gonna be Jon.

The way some people felt about Sansa's smile last week was the way I felt watching Arya slice Frey's neck. I think the show agreed with me too since the music playing was not "woo she got her revenge music" but "Arya is kinda nuts". imo.

I was actually hoping Jon would say thanks, but no thanks, that title belongs to my sister. 

• Love 9
Just now, ParadoxLost said:

I think they held back to leave open the question of whether Jon is a bastard or not.  Robert was the only other one that they could find a way to spin being the father but you can hear her say Robert would kill him if he found out.  So its Rhaegar. 

Also we still don't know if Lyanna ran off with Rhaegar or if he kidnapped her. So they've basically confirmed R+L=J but left open the question of everything surrounding R+L=J! That's a neat trick.

Just now, jcin617 said:

And Sansa was smiling when he was proclaimed King (she even said earlier he should be Lord of Winterfell) so I think she's genuinely happy for him.   I think she knows it pissed off Littlefinger, though, which is why she looked concerned.

I agree. I think Sansa is genuinely happy for Jon, but I think she's worried about what Littlefinger will do. She knows how cunning and devious he can be.

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, buttercupia said:

Wasn't it nice to see the dire wolf on winterfell during the opening?

YES!!! I forgot to put that in my very first post. It was the first I typed and then I lost the page in my excitement and had to type it again.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, buttercupia said:

Wasn't it nice to see the dire wolf on winterfell during the opening?

It was; and I just realized we'll probably get a Lannister lion over King's Landing next season.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, bluvelvet said:

I don't know if Jon/Dany marriage is likely since she is his aunt, although she is a Targaryen and family ties never stopped them before but I don't see the benefit in her marrying Jon since the marriage won't help her cement her position in KL.

The only power left in KL is Cersei with Frankenmountain and whatever remains of the Lannister army there. After a few weeks of the reign of Queen Cersei the Batshit whoever's left of the aristocracy won't be inquiring into any liberator's pedigree too deeply. A marriage between Dany and Jon would join their armies and their lands so they could swat whatever organized opposition's left over.

• Love 4

The entire Kings Landing sequence from the dressing and accessorizing to the music to the breaking of Loras to Margaery's moment of understanding to Pycelle's murder to the beautiful green kaboom was some amazing television.  Even though we pretty much knew it was coming, Cersei going full mad evil queen complete in full Maleficent getup was just everything.  She's lost everything she loves and only has a defrocked maester and his undead monster to hang out with now, so she might as well rule through absolute fear.  

Jaime looked rightfully and finally done.  He clearly didn't appreciate being lumped in with the likes of Walder Frey, and to now realize he sacrificed his honor to prevent an inferno like the one still smoking and his life and birthright for the woman who would do that has to be the ultimate kick in the teeth.

In all his plotting and machinations, Littlefinger obviously didn't anticipate a little girl shaming the Northern lords into declaring Jon king.  The moment didn't do much for me because Team Stark are lucky not to be dead through their own plot dictated stupidity, but it's still good to finally hit the plot point just the same with Littlefinger grimacing throughout.  Davos sucked all the air out of the room with the power and rawness of his grief and and anger for Shireen.

Varys must have the delux turbo powered teleporter.  

• Love 18
33 minutes ago, Paws said:

we have a war of 5 queens now, of a sort, don't we? Dany/yara/Olenna/ellaria v Cersei.  Plus 2 kings, Jon and Euron.

Yes! Westeros is what we call a "failed state" at this point. Cersei is "queen" but I doubt her rule has much force outside Kings Landing and Lannisport. What happened to all the Tyrell troops in the capital? Cersei's claim on the throne is virtually nonexistant. I can't even think of a precedent. Well, Irene of Athens declared herself Emperor of the Romans after having her son the Emperor's eyes gouged out, but the rest of Europe refused to accept it and that's the main reason the Pope anointed Charlemagne Emperor in the West - that and the Pope needed a friendly Emperor to pardon him of the corruption charges he was facing (yes real history is just as messed up as Game of Thrones).

The Iron Throne is going to be a cakewalk for Dany to seize, and probably hell to hold. The capitol appears to be in flames still, due to a conflict between a religious insurgency and the ineffective but official legal government. The Riverlands are wracked by a different religious insurgency an continued Tully/Frey fighting in which the leaders of both parties, the Blackfish and Walder Frey and his eldest heirs, have recently been killed. The Tyrell and Baratheon lines appear to be extinct, so Lord (of Light) knows who holds Highgarden or Storm's End or Dragonstone. The North just declared independence again at the urging of a ten year old. Which is totally the kind of crap my 9 year old son would pull, which is why we don't put him in charge. Having said that my dream for  next season is actually for Dany to show up at Winterfell on "personal business" just to have a scene with Lady Mormont where she asks for news of Jorah. 

I love that neither Jon nor Sansa really wants the job as Lord of Winterfell, let alone a throne, and that each deferred to the other in this episode. Unfortunately I think the Northmen decided wrongly, I feel like Sansa is actually learning things and might be a good leader, Jon - selfless and brave and noble as he is - is kind of a dumbass. He has said he failed as Lord Commander and is a poor leader, and he's right. Yes he's the legitimate Tagaryen King, but if he's smart he'll marry Dany and let her and Tyrion do the thinking while he looks pretty and kills White Walkers and stuff. Love you man, but you know nothing, Jon Snow. 

Seriously Dany should just land at Dragonstone. She'll probably be welcomed. It occurs to me that Dragonstone was the seat of the Targaryen heir, and Rhaegar held it before Stannis. I dont' think Stannis converted his bannermen to the Red God, my theory is that Rheager already believed in R'Hollor and the prophecy, and that Dragonstone's vassals converted Stannis, possibly by introducing him to Mel when his daughter came down with the greyscale. 

Sad to see Julian Glover go. Pycelle was awesome, but frankly he was one of my favorite Doctor Who baddies and he was in the Empire Strikes Back and I just always love to see Julian Glover. And Marge (sob)! But Lady Olenna Peel wasn't in the Sept, so that's a relief. And also a big mistake on Cersei's part. 

Arya! happy to see you have your revenge, but mostly I'm happy to see you so close to home. Go home, Arya! Your sister and brother(cousin) so need a hug right now. And if a girl needs a name . . . Littlefinger.

• Love 13
(edited)

I knew it was coming, but the wolf back at WF in the credits got me misty. Mel and Davos KILLED their scene. Jon was stone-faced, but such a pretty face. Sansa got her true apology tour, and all is well. The siblings' smiles at Winter is Here ("father always promised it") was so insanely sweet.

"Fuck Mereen!" You and me both, Daario. Finally a superb follow-up scene with Tyrion and Dany - no drinking games needed. PD is fantastic - actually teared up a little when he was pinned.

I admit, I was probably the only person who didn't see the Many-Faced Arya coming. She sure was eyeing Jamie, though - better watch his sexy back. I loved his palpable distaste of being aptly compared to Walder himself.

You know it's a bang-up episode when dirty old man Pycelle's death is not even addressed. (Except by the post immediately preceding this!) Loved the Children of the Damned death squad! And the music is absolutely amazing, every time.

Poor Margaery, to go out on such a mundane hair day. And I'll miss Mace's comic relief. Miss-Cersei-if-you're-nasty's ironic torture of Unella was delicious and unsettling, although I'll equally relish the Queen's very own downfall.

My heart kinda stopped at Tommen's jump. Like, felt it's maybe coming but - WHAAAT?!? Mic Drop has now been officially superseded by King Drop. And I hope Ser Pounce escapes the rubble and finds a nice home.

I find myself foolishly confused when people mention Emmy submissions on this board; I have to remind myself it's not up for Oscars. The quality is mind-blowing.

Edited by Dewey Decimate
Coincidence
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, bunnyblue said:

House Bunnyblue knows no king but the King in the North, whose name is Stark. The King in the North!!!! 

Squeeeeeee!!!! That's my boy!!!! You've done good for yourself, Jon Snow. *wipes away tears*

Ned and Lyanna were pefection. Robert Aramayo and the Lyanna actress played that scene beautifully. I wanted to cry - the music, the baby, their tears, oh God. *crying again* Get thee south, Brandon Stark!!

I loved that scene, but I wonder about future implications. The Northern lords were supporting Jon because "the blood of Ned Stark runs through his veins." But what happens if they find out he's not Ned's son but Lyanna Stark's -- and his dad was a Targaryen?

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, SoWindsor said:

I'm not sure it was clear enough that Rhaegar is Jon's father. 

It was not. I watched the episode with five friends, four of them never read the books. They kept asking "but if he is not Ned's son, who is Jon's father?", and even with the 'previously in GoT' scene where Littlefinger tells Sansa that Rhaegar 'kidnapped and raped Lyanna' they had many doubts.

I think D&D decided to split the reveal about Jon: this season the non-book viewer learns that his mother is Lyanna Stark, next season the non-book viewer learn he is a Targaryen.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

So, Meera's line "are you ready for this?" was totally D&D talking to the fans, right?

I don't know about that one, but Tyrion's "hey, look at it this way, you're FINALLY going to Westeros" definitely was.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, Lemuria said:

I didn't think making Jon KITN was a slap at Sansa.  If this had been peacetime, I think she would have been seen as the Lady of Winterfell.  But it isn't.  War is coming, along with Winter.  They need a warrior--and Jon has shown himself to be a beast in a fight--especially someone who know something about the Walkers.  

I do think Sansa will be the one to "defend" against LF; she knows him the best.

I don't think of it as a slap in the face but it is going to be a problem. The Vale only came because Littlefinger wants Sansa. Their loyalty is to her as their Lord Robyn's cousin. She's spurned Littlefinger but he clearly still thinks he has some sort of in with her but now that she doesn't have the power, Jon is going to have to placate the Vale and keep those horses and riders on his side. It's a challenge for next season and one I'm looking forward to. That's the sort of thing Sansa should excel at because she has that personal relationship, just like she had a better read on Ramsay. 

• Love 4

On rewatch now. I am betting by tomorrow someone will have figured out what Jon's actual name is. She definitely says the name and someone with sound editing capabilities may be able to suss it out.

• Love 1
(edited)

It also just occurred to me that both of the people that Tyrion outted as Cersei spies in season 2 got killed together and both deaths were ordered by Cersei

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 6

Ned and Lyanna's scene was lovely and touching, I thought. Aisling Franciosi, who played Lyanna, was very good, and I really liked Aramayo's work in this scene as well. Baby Jon was cute as a button, if a little blonder than I would have guessed. (I remember the casting news about a search for a brown-eyed baby with no mention of hair colour; I guess they cast the net wide to find a baby, and the result was a blonde.)

• Love 3
52 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

I interpretted Margeary's motivation this season as more focused on saving her weaker brother and less on her position as Queen.

RIP. 

She could have saved Loras if she'd sided with her family when they went to rescue her in the street. (Or one Olenna offered it later.) The sparrows were totally outnumbered.

Margaery lost my sympathy when she held her father back and told him to "have faith" as he watched his son get mutilated.

Loras is imprisoned and tortured for months, he's forced to call Renly a traitor, and his reward after confessing and doing what the High Sparrow wants is to fight for the people who tortured him in addition to being forced into a life of celibacy and stripped of his home.

Margaery urged Loras to confess and seemed totally okay with Loras being stripped of everything in exchange for his freedom. 

In retrospect, seeing how she felt that the High Septon broke his word to her, I definitely think she wishes that she'd sided with her family in retrospect. She had multiple opportunities but was grateful enough to be queen again. 

• Love 3
Just now, lmsweb said:

It's definitely going to be a Targaryeon sounding name. It's not going to be an Eddard or Benjen or Brandon kind of name.

I thought they left the name silent solely to avoid Lyanna using Targaryen or the bastard name for their line or Stark as a last name.  The first indicating a marriage and the last two... not.