Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Speechless

• Start Topic

(edited)

Talking Head Whitney: "I don't know who this girl thinks she is, but I'm about to go in there and let her know (X, Y, Z).
In Person Whitney: "Oh, hey, hi... so I see you're having a class here."

THW: "I'M the only one who teaches my class, who does she think she is?"
IPW: "So you're teaching them a routine with some turns and stuff?"

THW: "I'm about to shut this *bleep* down."
IPW: "I wish I knew I'd have brought my dance clothes. That's okay, I'll just stand right here. So you want to run through the choreography again?"

THW: "Now that the class is over, I'm going to get it straight."
IPW: "I was so scared when I saw you teaching, 'cause I'm insecure because I'm afraid of losing my class, and you worried me, and, and, ... "

Girl, bye. #fakegangster

I love how she was made up and dressed in the blue burnout at the doctor's, then she's in the car with Babs in another outfit, THEN she's meeting Will with yet another outfit on another day, and finally, "I'm on my way from meeting Will, and I notice a couple of the BGDC cars in the parking lot." Dressed in the same outfit from the doctor's office. Make up, necklace, but allegedly a week later. Mmm hmm. We see you TLC. It's not that hard to have continuity, the girl makes an impression and her wardrobe is fairly ... noticeable 

Edited by SnarkKitty
  • Love 15

Ocean Chick...that post was hilarious! So funny and probably true about Whit in the catering tent.  I will smile abt that all day.  Going to work out now -- eating healthier and working out is a side motivation from this show. 

Don't want to end up like Whit. And in denial abt it. Got to get moving now.

• Love 3

I don't believe that TLC is holding Whitney back.  I would think they would be very much on board with her getting fit.  It would likely bring in more viewers to see such a transformation.  I sense the resistance is just Whitney.  I agree with the post above about it being addict behavior.  Obesity is very complex and I understand that she may have some qualms about losing weight in light of her No Body Shame brainchild, but, it's getting ridiculous.

Anyone know what her life expectancy is at her current weight?  She has to want it, to get it done. I know that surgery brings on lots of things to consider, but I wonder if she does need to explore it as an option.  Of course, you have to work the program to make that work too.

• Love 6

She basically sees herself as some sort of Fat Joan of Arc at this point. "It's my duty to be fat and spread the message of body acceptance across the land!" You know who's a great role model for big women? Queen Latifah. Back in her WW days she was all "I know I'll never be tiny, but I can lower lots of health risks by losing 10% of my weight, so I'm gonna do that." Obviously Whitney needs to lose more than 10%, but at least Queen acknowledges the health issues of obesity. 

I can't imagine Whitney would get WLS or even seriously consider it. She flat-out refuses to change her lifestyle, and WLS requires such a massive shift.

• Love 22
40 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

I wanted to look again at her dad's reaction when she was being such and unappreciative bitch and it was heartbreaking. He is very obviously hurt by her behavior and not just because he's worried about her weight. I think she hurts his feelings. At one point he swallowed hard like he was holding back tears. I really hope that wasn't the case. Really, how can you treat anybody like that? Especially your old ass dad. He won't live forever and she will have regrets. Or maybe she won't since she can't take responsibility for herself. It's always somebody else's fault. 

I remember feeling sorry for him when he ran that 5k with her and was encouraging her the whole time and then she tells him she never heard a word he said because she was listening to music. He really thought they were doing something special together and she actually admitted that she couldn't have given a fuck if he was there or not. It wasn't easy for him to run that 5k either. If it were me, I would have enjoyed the time with my dad and in the very least pretended that I was actually present. Why not say, "Yes, Daddy, you were helpful. You inspired me. Thank you." I tear up as I type this because I wish I could say those things to my dad but he's gone now. I'd give anything to be able to just touch his hand and it makes me sick that she treats her dad like this. Some of us can't have these moments anymore. She's such a bitch. I can't even tolerate her.

Your post made me tear up.  My dad is here, and I'm so thankful for that.  He's not getting any younger, though.  Whitney's nasty ass treatment of her obviously caring and patient dad is vile.  Not everyone is lucky enough to have that kind of support as a child or adult.  I have no idea if or how much he enabled her behavior over the years, but from what I've seen of the show he has offered suggestions, ran that 5k, bought the containers, etc...  That is what matters now.  She can grow the hell up any day now...  I'm going to give my dad a call tonight.

• Love 21
8 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I see it on her FB page, too. She is constantly lashing out at people who post even the slightest things that she doesn’t like. Example: if someone says to her “even if you don’t feel beautiful sometimes, you are beautiful!” her response will be “um, thanks, but I DO feel beautiful, you know.

I don't watch all that often, and have never looked at her FB page, but she sounds  like Nicole Curtis (the Rehab Addict), who attacks people for tiny disagreements, and came here to tear into us.
Maybe Whitney will post here.

• Love 2

I missed that detail about the 5k.  How awful. Did she guffaw about it in a TH?

The title of her book leads me to believe that she likes to talk a lot about sex, because she is very sexually immature.  "I Do It With the Lights On"  You couldn't have found another life event to show how fabulous and empowered you are?  What an inspiration.

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I think "a few drags" really means a half a pack a day.  Sorry, I am an ex smoker and one has to remember that this is an addict talking.  It's like the alcoholic who says they only have a "few sips" of alcohol a day.  She isn't fooling me.

That business about the thin people who never get called out for their unhealthy behavior - I have to say that this is a pet peeve of mine too, but it has absolutely nothing to do with HER particular situation.  Just because thin people don't get criticized for bad behavior since it can't be seen is no justification for digging one's heels in and refusing to admit to the world that you have a problem.  I think she has a bit of a self-destructive attitude towards the criticism.  Like she is going to spite all her critics by refusing to admit they're right that she needs to take steps to improve her health. 

I think this attitude is indicative of addiction also- I know there has been some argument here and elsewhere about what addiction is and whether or not it's real, but one thing people we call "addicts" have in common is red-flag intolerance for anyone who dares to question their problem-causing behaviors!  Because admitting there's a problem means they would have to do something about it, and they are NOT willing to change.  So they will browbeat whomever they see as a critic until that person shuts up.  And then they feel relieved, choosing to believe against all good sense that they have convinced the critic, even though the truth is that the critic is just mentally throwing his hands in the air and thinking "Well, I tried."  Like her dad did last night.  That's why the first step in every program is admitting that you have a problem.

9 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

Whitney thinks she is the authority on being fat, so why does she need to learn from or cite any other source or authority?  If it doesn't come from her and her experience it's not relevant to the issue or to anyone else either.  This is so she can continue to live in denial about needing to lose any weight and never learn from or put any credence in scientific evidence.  She thinks she is above the facts.  Even if she knew about the facts, she'd never use them because they wouldn't make her denial case of being able to stay the same weight and be healthy.  I just don't get how people like that put themselves up as authorities.  I am aware of those studies - I could have answered that question better in my sleep.  The truth is that there is so much pressure to be stick thin in our society, and it's not even necessary to be that thin for optimal health.  A lot of people carry around an "ideal weight" in their minds that's actually too low for optimal health.  You're right, she could have pointed that out, but she would still have to admit to needing to be at least 100 lighter for it to apply to her, which is what she refuses to do.

I almost couldn't believe she was stumped by that guy's question.  Like she never even considered that before?  Yeah, because she has been using it as an excuse herself, that's why!

I think it's what you (and others) have already said - narcissistic and immature.  What I don't get is why they are accepted as authorities on their word!  Who ever thought she was a relevant speaker with anything to say?  What are her achievements?  That she managed to move out of mom and dad's house and get a 1 hour a week job by age 31?  That she's managed to fool people into thinking she likes weighing almost 400 lbs?  That she got a tv show for doing nothing?  Calling all Kardashian wannabes!  

8 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Being pissed off that people don’t shame skinny unhealthy folks is a misdirection technique. The fact is that obesity IS a disease by itself. She’s acting like obesity is just a…circumstance. Or at most a symptom. It’s not. Her obesity is a stand-alone PROBLEM. It’s not just a risk factor for something more serious. That’s what the people at her speech were getting at, and she just refuses to believe it.

I noticed when she was talking to/about the trainer, it was all "I worked hard; I lost weight" but then afterwards "the weight just comes back."  All by itself - nothing to do with her anymore :)

• Love 12

I think Whitney does have an addiction problem.  I used to think I had an addiction problem until I retired.  Then, I noticed all the hours I can go without eating or thinking about food and I realized that I had been stress eating before.  Even though I eat pretty carefully and can lose a few pounds these days, it's hard to keep it off.  I really do believe in that set point theory and that your body finds a way to get back to "normal."

• Love 9
1 hour ago, SuzyLee said:

God, yes.  My father turns 70 this year, so your post and last night's episode resonated with me.  My father helped me to quit smoking 10 years ago by buying me a pack of nicotine patches out of the blue one day.  He laid the box in front of me and simply said, "Please stop smoking.  I want you to be around for a while.  When you run out of those, I'll buy you more.  Just stop."  I was so stunned that I actually did quit and haven't smoked since 12/29/05.  I take my dad to breakfast each year on that date to commemorate it.  Fathers who give a crap to that extent are special and are often taken for granted by self-centered, enabled little girls like Whitney.  Whitney is an immature fool and if she ever grows up, she'll kick herself when she sees how shabbily she treated that poor guy.

You have an exceptional father and he must be very proud of you. It takes a lot of strength and willpower to give up smoking and the fact that you listened and respected his feelings must have made him a very happy daddy.

1 hour ago, mamapajama said:

I missed that detail about the 5k.  How awful. Did she guffaw about it in a TH?

The title of her book leads me to believe that she likes to talk a lot about sex, because she is very sexually immature.  "I Do It With the Lights On"  You couldn't have found another life event to show how fabulous and empowered you are?  What an inspiration.

Um, yes she did guffaw and I wanted to slap her. And that was even when I actually thought she was a nice person and had a cute personality. It didn't take her long to show her true colors, did it?

I could not at all believe she was talking about her love making (gag) right in front of her dad! I don't know why she felt that it was necessary to bring up sex at all during her speech. And the title of her book? For real? It's like she just wants to make sure everyone knows for sure that she has a sex life. Guess what? We don't care at all and we also don't need the visual.

• Love 10

And another thing!

It's all fine and good for Whitney to have forced her college boyfriend to cover the mirrors in his place so she didn't have to look at herself.

BUT WHAT ABOUT HIM?!?!?!  Where's his blindfold?

• Love 20
(edited)

This woman .... 

I've gone from liking her, to pitying her, to resenting her to downright disliking her after last night. What a petty bitch she is! 

The problem with Whitney is that she bases health 100% on A1C numbers. She thinks that she is the picture of health because she doesn't have diabetes. And the reason she doesn't want diabetes is because having diabetes would mean that she could no longer eat whatever the hell she wants with reckless abandon.

"I'm obviously bigger than Buddy, but what are his A1C levels? Hmmmm? What about those?"
Girl, have a stadium of seats. 

After having her meeting with Will, (paraphrasing)
"I might have to think about changing my diet."
You don't think about maybe, possibly, sort of changing your diet when the number on the scale is rapidly approaching 400. She claims that she doesn't know how to feed herself, and yet we are living in year 2016, with easy access to books, literature, websites, and forums devoted to NOTHING BUT EATING. If she can upload a video showcasing her dreadful dancing, then she can figure out how to create a meal plan. FFS, close your eyes, and point your finger in the general direction of a diet plan and DO IT. And by the way Whitney, that container that you regarded with contempt is a GENEROUS serving of yogurt, you twit. 

Her behavior at the dance studio was deplorable and I don't care if it was "staged", I'm convinced it was at least based on real life events, because she showed no chill in her confessionals and seemed entirely too eager to drag her student for daring to cross her stampeding, angry ass. 
She's pissed off and in her feelings because the other women actually prioritize getting fit and wanting to stick to their workout schedules. Anyone not crazy and self absorbed would be thrilled at their dedication, but not Whitney. 
So much for promoting health and body positivity. Petty, petty, petty.

I don't even know why I watch at this point. She's big, she's fat, but her life isn't fabulous. She spends most of the episode driving around and complaining about her weight, talking to her family and friends about her weight, talking to strangers about her weight, and amazingly, going to clinics and hospitals every other episode, where she's being lectured about her weight. Where's the fabulosity Sway?

Edited by CocoaGoddess
  • Love 20
21 minutes ago, Toaster Strudel said:

She also said "I gained 10 lbs this year" which is probably the same lying level as "I occasionally take a few drags"

If I were feeling particularly mean, I'd suggest she left out a few zeros. But seriously, if she actually gained only 10 pounds in the past year, that means that from the time 2 years ago (when she started working out) and one year ago (when she claims she only gained 10 lb), she lost 80 lb and gained 120. In one year. I smell something fishy, and I don't mean Glenn's tuna packets.

• Love 6

I totally missed the sex comments... anyone care to paraphrase?

Her dad looks a lot like my late father.  His sad face when she annihilated him for being thoughtful and caring was just cry-worthy.  She acted despicably.

She is a mass of contradictions.  The kicker last night was her conversation with the trainer when she said, "You know me, I can do anything; I do EVERYTHING."  Then when standing at the bottom of the staircase, "I am not going to be able to do this. I can't make it to the top. There's no way I am going to be able to do this."

4.5 minutes later she was all, "Boo-yah; I did it FASTER than he said I should!  So I got nothing to worry about, y'all!"

• Love 7
8 hours ago, SuzyLee said:

She was also really rude to her father when he brought her toilet paper (?) and all of that healthy food, plus the little portion-control containers.  I thought that was a really nice thing for him to do, but she treated him like crap.  Does she not realize that there aren't many dads who would do that for their grown daughters?  And she actually has the audacity to close down the conversation with "I think we're done here?!"  Glenn should have packed up the fruit and the Tupperware and headed back home to Babs and the pet pig.   

I got misty-eyed after this scene.

I don't know Glenn except for the shenanigans that is displayed on the screen.  I suspect he's a kind, loving dad and husband who truly loves his family.  So, with this in mind how in the hell can Babs "allow" her daughter to be so disrespectful to the man she loves?  I'm the one who's speechless.

If my daughter displayed to her father even a fraction of the attitude that the Dancemaster exhibited to Glenn last night - I would clean her clock but good.  How Babs can just sit back and let the Dancemaster abuse Glenn is beyond me.  I don't know, maybe that's the reason why I have no patience for the southern belle (Babs).  How she can let this train wreck continue is beyond me...I know, I know, it probably has something do with filled pockets of cash.

Any man who would be even remotely interested in the Dancemaster (and not Lenny because he's a prop) need only observe how cruel she is to people in general and her father in particular, to get an idea of what his life will be like in the future.

Run.  Very fast.

3 hours ago, Nowhere said:

You have an exceptional father and he must be very proud of you. It takes a lot of strength and willpower to give up smoking and the fact that you listened and respected his feelings must have made him a very happy daddy.

Um, yes she did guffaw and I wanted to slap her. And that was even when I actually thought she was a nice person and had a cute personality. It didn't take her long to show her true colors, did it?

I could not at all believe she was talking about her love making (gag) right in front of her dad! I don't know why she felt that it was necessary to bring up sex at all during her speech. And the title of her book? For real? It's like she just wants to make sure everyone knows for sure that she has a sex life. Guess what? We don't care at all and we also don't need the visual.

I know!  But the other thing I thought was . . . if she is 31 years old and this is her "career" - why are her parents in the audience anyway?  That's not normal either.  My parents enjoyed hearing about my successes as a teacher, but they never came and sat in my classroom to watch me teach.  Sheesh.

And another bit of fabulosity (not!) that I forgot to mention was that Buddy gets the big bedroom with the attached bath because she doesn't want to walk up the stairs in that little house?  WTF?

• Love 11

I know, I know that this is all scripted, but one of the 10 things that pissed me off this epi was Whitney's anger over the dance class going on without her .How dare anyone do anything without her. She should be thrilled that these women want to continue to exercise and care about their health when she isn't there. I used to like her, she can be funny, but she was a total bitch to her dad. Glen is right, she has to change her diet, and only can do it. I will continue reading this thread, but I am over her.

• Love 8
(edited)
23 hours ago, Alapaki said:

The dance studio thing was absolute bullshit.  You can't fucking dance because of your health.  You can't keep up with someone who's supposed to be a student in your class?  Then fuck off!  You're afraid you're going to lose your job because you fainted?  That's not your student's fault.  ...if the instructor ever couldn't make it, one of us would always step up and lead the class because it was better than not getting to work out.  Trust us, Whitney, no one is gunning for your shitty "job" as a dance instructor.

So much word. I thought that if she was afraid for her students to do turns, then she should learn how to do them for bigger people. I'm sure just about every basic exercise can be adapted for those with limited mobility.

I kept thinking that we're talking about dancersize class here, not brain surgery. I monitor research. I actually know a few brain surgeons. You don't want their secretaries stepping for them. Dance move instructor? Who cares if someone else teaches it?  And, as far as we know, Whit doesn't have any real training in teaching or exercise, right? So she can't really adapt her program for physical limits (including size), right? She can't do an evaluation on anyone and suggest what moves to do or avoid, right? She wants to be a spokesperson for fat acceptance, maybe she should learn a few things about working with this population.

And, as a mother of a grown child for whom I occasionally provide food and dry goods (because I'm nice and he's a grad student), if I'd heard that mouth, I would have packed up everything I brought with me and taken it home. So ungrateful!

Beyond the lack of gratitude, it's obvious that she doesn't want to do any work to change her habits. "I don't want to eat 2 ounces of tuna."  OK. Find something else to eat, but show that you're willing to change whatever the heck you are stuffing in your face. 

Lost cause.

eta that I just saw "Fat Joan of Arc."  Almost wet my pants. 

Edited by aliya
  • Love 13

I just can't believe how rude she was to her dad.  He was so sweet bringing her the food (and TP) and portions sized containers. You can tell he is worried about her and also really hurt by her denial of everything.  She has to change her lifestyle or she is going to have serious health issues sooner than later.

I have had weight issues for years, but when I got my dx of diabetes in 2012 I did my research and went high fat/low carb/ moderate protein/ keto and had it all under control in 5 months.  (Lost 50# in 3 months.)  My A1c has been in the 4% range since 2103.  Dx'd with breast cancer in 2013 and after  double mastectomy been cancer free ever since.  Yes some things have to be given up but is that pizza/sandwich worth losing your sight/life/feet???  I want to dance at my grand-daughter's weddings and see their babies!! :))

• Love 16
(edited)
8 hours ago, Nowhere said:

I remember feeling sorry for him when he ran that 5k with her and was encouraging her the whole time and then she tells him she never heard a word he said because she was listening to music. He really thought they were doing something special together and she actually admitted that she couldn't have given a fuck if he was there or not. It wasn't easy for him to run that 5k either. If it were me, I would have enjoyed the time with my dad and in the very least pretended that I was actually present. Why not say, "Yes, Daddy, you were helpful. You inspired me. Thank you." I tear up as I type this because I wish I could say those things to my dad but he's gone now. I'd give anything to be able to just touch his hand and it makes me sick that she treats her dad like this. Some of us can't have these moments anymore. She's such a bitch. I can't even tolerate her.

OMG, your post made me tear up too.  Glenn reminds me a lot of my dad, who is 88.  He is such an inspiration and I'm very lucky to still have him.  My Dad totally does those kinds of things for me when he visits me.  He was always a very warm and caring person (although not an enabler at all) and I never would treat him like that.  Even when he bought me chocolates once forgetting that I was dieting I appreciated the feeling behind it and would never complain.  Whitney is so damned self absorbed and immature that she can't appreciate someone who really cares about her and acted like such a spoiled brat.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss.  I know that every day brings me closer to it with my own Dad.  I can just see Whitney now sobbing like a baby and blaming herself for not appreciating her dad more when he was alive after he passes.  She will regret things after the fact but won't change the behavior beforehand.  Then she wants everyone to have sympathy for her. What an ass and just NO.

That said, everyone here has already said what I wanted to say this evening.  I am liking everything.  We all are on the same page with her.  What a bitch she was to the dance class people.  They have to "remember who's in charge", oh, get OVER yourself and go blow it out your double-wide ass, sister!  After seeing her say that I wouldn't blame any of them for leaving. 

Oh, and as usual she is delusional thinking that she won't have to make some drastic changes to her diet to lose some weight.  It has become obvious with the way she acted with her father that she eats mostly horribly prepared, unhealthy food.  Does she think she can chow down on takeout platters filled with greasy crap in her car and lose weight?  With her father she said "That's not going to work with her".  Well, then sister, you are going to stay fat and unhealthy and hasten your own demise.  Grow up and accept reality because it's not going to change just because you want it to.  You can join a gym and exercise all day and night but it's still not going to work if you don't change your diet.

ETA:  One more thing - I don't for one minute believe that that footage of her at 230 lbs. in the gym with her trainer were taken "a couple of years ago".  She said she hadn't spoken with the trainer in YEARS, like it was a while ago.  It was very obvious to me by their conversation that her last contact with him was probably at least 4 years ago.  Her "Fat Girl Dancing" video is 2 years old already and she's a LOT fatter in that than in the video with the trainer.

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 8

@Jeffro thanks for the info! I think I can speak for all of us when we say that asking her that question with cameras rolling made you a freakin' national hero. It was a great question and very well-worded. I am also very sorry for your loss and I'm glad Glenn was supportive too. 

• Love 21
(edited)

Jeffro,  thanks for the insight. Don't recognize your name, but welcome and we love new snark.  I have a real love hate relationship with Whitney. She does have a forum so people of all sizes can feel good about their bodies BUT she ignores basic medical and health good sense. I am tall and evenly proportioned  a "normal weight" and I am much more likely to cover up my body, it's just me. Good for her for not doing that, but she is facing a ton of medical issues if she doesn't lose weight. 

Edited by jacksgirl
  • Love 5

Adding my thanks to Jeffro for the inside info. What strikes me is that it looks like the producers went behind Whitney's back to set up a confrontation. They arranged for Jeffro to ask just the kind of question Whit doesn't want to hear, and then they asked him not to attend her meet and greet because they knew she'd be pissed. Their goal was to put her on the spot and I'll bet they were hoping for an onstage explosion. I don't think the producers are fully supportive of Whit's No BS campaign, to say the least.

Her parents, especially the dad, really are lovely though. This is the second story we've heard of Whitney being pissy and the dad making up for it. The first, I think, was over in the Whitney thread where someone tried to greet Whitney and was ignored, but again Glenn stepped up. He's such a gentleman. Too bad Whit hasn't learned a thing from him.

• Love 12

Pretty much everything has been said about Whitney, her message and show.   I guess I am posting because she pisses me off so much.

Her message is a pile of bullshit.  Obviously, I am not at all ok with anyone making fun of overweight people, but it is another thing entirely to promote obesity as being fine and accepting it as a healthy way to live.  Whitney is an entitled spoiled brat, she is lazy and is extremely unhealthy due to her size.  She is a food addict, no difference from any other kind of addict.  I have a HUGE problem with anyone promoting obesity as a healthy way to live.

As cute and genuine as her parents are, they are no different than other family and friends who are co-dependent and enablers to any other kind of addict. She needs to switch networks and be on Intervention. Or she can stay on TLC and end up on My 600 lb. Life.     

She isn't even delusional, she just wants to do whatever she wants.  And, what she wants to do is going to kill her.

• Love 10

I have a theory that the reason Twit was so upset with the woman leading the dance class was because she loves to think those people come out "just for her" and her expertise.  Them keeping their scheduled workout means that they're really coming out for THEIR OWN HEALTH, not because they want to bask in the glow of Twit's fabulousness.  It hurts her feelings, poor thing.

And speaking of hurt feelings, I rather doubt Twit will rue her treatment of her dad after his death, unless she has a real come-to-Jesus moment, because right now, no one's feelings matter to her except her own.  Other people are not allowed to have feelings.  And when her parents die, she'll wallow in the spotlight of attention she receives for being an orphan and cry crocodile tears and demand everyone around her take care of her and obey her commands and bring her cakes and donuts and pizzas galore.

• Love 15

The producers were absolutely trying to manufacture conflict. They insisted that those of us asking questions sit sprinkled throughout the audience so she wouldn't think we were all together. 

• Love 15

I have a bit of different point of view and pretty much know I will be alone here-so maybe don't throw stones for my bravery alone (lol). I don't think you should give an overweight person diet food or diet materials unless they ask you for it. I would be offended if someone showed up at my house with weight loss stuff. He shouldn't be bringing her toilet paper either. I have a suspicion Whitney's parents are very controlling and I also suspect they have been trying to get her to diet for a long time. It is the individual's responsibility to diet, no one else can or should make that choice for them. No one every lost weight through another person pushing; you have to do it yourself.

I agree with the basic message of no body shaming; but agree Whitney is not doing a good job of it. All people fat or thin are human beings and have a right to care about themselves and not be made fun of. People think a fat person will lose more weight if they hate themselves or if they receive messages of hate but it is just the opposite. I just read a diet book with the statement "Losing weight won't make you happy, but being happy will make you lose weight" and I believe in that 100%. If you can love yourself and find the happiest life you can, you will lose weight because you won't need food as a way to stuff your emotions. I also don't see any point in hating or ridiculing someone because of their weight. If you are at a good weight, than keep it up and realize everyone else is different. 

I think it would be good for Whitney to spend less time with her parents. They seem to treat her like a little girl and she responds to that treatment. I think if she could find a career she is passionate about and forget about the reality star stuff, she would be happier and maybe spend less time thinking about food. As for her class, I can kind of understand. I teach classes and if I can't be there I hire a substitute. If I had to cancel a class though, I wouldn't want someone else just taking over without contacting me. Just think about your own job; if you are out sick for a day do you want your co-worker taking over you job? The woman could have contacted Whitney. 

I agree she isn't living a fabulous life, but how many people are? Everyone has problems and issues. I do think the show should be cancelled because I don't believe fat people should be ridiculed and it seems people are not interested in just watching her everyday life, so what's left? 

• Love 11
(edited)
33 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I have a bit of different point of view and pretty much know I will be alone here-so maybe don't throw stones for my bravery alone (lol). I don't think you should give an overweight person diet food or diet materials unless they ask you for it. I would be offended if someone showed up at my house with weight loss stuff. He shouldn't be bringing her toilet paper either. I have a suspicion Whitney's parents are very controlling and I also suspect they have been trying to get her to diet for a long time. It is the individual's responsibility to diet, no one else can or should make that choice for them. No one every lost weight through another person pushing; you have to do it yourself.

I agree with the basic message of no body shaming; but agree Whitney is not doing a good job of it. All people fat or thin are human beings and have a right to care about themselves and not be made fun of. People think a fat person will lose more weight if they hate themselves or if they receive messages of hate but it is just the opposite. I just read a diet book with the statement "Losing weight won't make you happy, but being happy will make you lose weight" and I believe in that 100%. If you can love yourself and find the happiest life you can, you will lose weight because you won't need food as a way to stuff your emotions. I also don't see any point in hating or ridiculing someone because of their weight. If you are at a good weight, than keep it up and realize everyone else is different. 

I think it would be good for Whitney to spend less time with her parents. They seem to treat her like a little girl and she responds to that treatment. I think if she could find a career she is passionate about and forget about the reality star stuff, she would be happier and maybe spend less time thinking about food. As for her class, I can kind of understand. I teach classes and if I can't be there I hire a substitute. If I had to cancel a class though, I wouldn't want someone else just taking over without contacting me. Just think about your own job; if you are out sick for a day do you want your co-worker taking over you job? The woman could have contacted Whitney. 

I agree she isn't living a fabulous life, but how many people are? Everyone has problems and issues. I do think the show should be cancelled because I don't believe fat people should be ridiculed and it seems people are not interested in just watching her everyday life, so what's left? 

I agree with what you said about not offering overweight people diet materials if they don't ask for them (and you don't know them very, very well).  I had a pretty damn negative reaction when one of my idiot coworkers printed out a copy of the government food pyramid for me a couple of years ago.  The difference here is that Whitney has basically built a "career" (in huge air quotes) out of "dealing with" (more air quotes) her weight.  It's no secret that she supposedly wants to lose weight.  She's involved the whole world, in a sense.  I think that bringing Whitney fruit, tuna, and the portion-control containers was a really sweet thing for her dad to do and it's a shame that it was so unappreciated.  I mean, she wasn't politely reluctant to accept the items because she doesn't feel like dieting; she was a flat-out bitch.  The pain on Glenn's face looked a little too real to have been faked.  I am with you 100% on the fact that Whitney has spent a lifetime being enabled and coddled.  I also think it would be a good idea for her to develop some distance between her and parents, but not for her sake-- for theirs!  Whitney is 32.  It's time for her to grow the hell up and allow her parents to enjoy their golden years without having to race to the hospital in the middle of the night to tend to her when she "faints" at a danceathon that she can't possibly handle.  It has to feel awful to be so emotionally tethered to someone who doesn't care how she treats others.  I'll be damned if I'd allow my grown daughter to speak to me the way she does Babs and Glenn.  My daughter would be looking at the back of me after the first "I think we're done here" after I had gone out and done her toilet paper shopping for her.  I'm imagining how hard my parents would laugh if I demanded that they bring me a Costco-sized pack of toilet paper, plus other groceries, then dismissed them.

Every time I watch this show, I find myself wondering just how much of the negativity and drama is being manufactured by TLC this season.  Jeffro's (very insightful and helpful) posts make me even more suspicious.  I can't decide if TLC is playing fast and loose with the editing or if Whitney truly is going the way of Ruby Gettinger (refusal to diet, rampant excuse-making, followed by cancellation).  Either way, this show is less fun to watch every week, even for the snark value.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 8

Not to mention that she also in this episode basically blamed her parents for her weight problem because they never taught her "how to feed" herself. This was Glenn's attempt to try, and wow, did Whitney ever throw it back at him. 

• Love 12
52 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

It is the individual's responsibility to diet, no one else can or should make that choice for them. No one ever lost weight through another person pushing; you have to do it yourself.

That's the bottom line truth but Whitney didn't have to react by being an ass and demeaning her father.

• Love 9

As far as that dance class member doing Whitney's job, when I was out sick at my job a coworker would take over my job until I returned.  I wouldn't expect my work to sit untouched until I returned.  Granted it was a 9-5 job with work that couldn't be left undone, but it shouldn't be a big deal if someone filled in for her so her students wouldn't miss a class.   I was over on facebook (think it was on Whitney's page but it might have been the show's page) and comments were strongly supportive of her anger at the other girl taking over her class. I don't understand that.   I take a water aerobics class 3 times a week and if our instructor cannot be there another class member will usually take over the class.  Not a big deal and the instructor doesn't care.  As long as Whitney has people who support her in her    arrogance and delusions she is never going to learn anything and improve her attitude and her health.

• Love 8

My view on the dance class issue is this:  12 big girls regularly meet for the class.  Whitney can't make it but the studio is open.  One girl says, "hey, let's get together anyway and dance."  She offers to lead since she's comfortable doing it.  Everyone assembles and has a good time (and gets their workout).

I just don't get the righteous indignation- and I think it was mostly manufactured.  As others said, how would she "happen" to see cars there that look familiar as she drives by- and a camera crew is inside at the ready?

The scene showing her shoveling food in her face in the car- with the resultant stares from another driver- was weird. And then she cries, "anything I put in my mouth makes people judge me!"  (tears, tears).  Honestly, I don't ever eat an entire meal in my car in my own town.  Perhaps when I travel now and then.  But she displays a lot of the secretive binge-type eating that displays her inability to control herself.  Her absolute refusal to "make a drastic lifestyle change" seems almost panicky.  Giving up the food means relinquishing her comfort and control.  It's sad, but it's what you see on "My 600-lb Life." Lots of reasons why dieting won't work, why her obesity is out of control, and why it works for her.

• Love 16
21 hours ago, LunchBreak said:

Whitney's nasty ass treatment of her obviously caring and patient dad is vile.  Not everyone is lucky enough to have that kind of support as a child or adult.  I have no idea if or how much he enabled her behavior over the years, but from what I've seen of the show he has offered suggestions, ran that 5k, bought the containers, etc...  That is what matters now.  She can grow the hell up any day now...  I'm going to give my dad a call tonight.

I could not have said it better myself!  What an ungrateful little bitch she is!  UGH it's pissing me off!  Even if she knew those containers and food wouldn't work (which I seriously doubt) she should have at least said thank you, made some effort to seem appreciative, and be done with it.  But noooo this bitching about him not knocking at the front door, having paper towels instead of toilet paper, and then the food and containers--good GOD I couldn't take it! 

I have to wonder when Whitney watches these episodes does she feel the tiniest bit of remorse or embarrasment for the way she behaves? 

Right now I'm watching this show for all the other people.  I still love me some Baps and co. enough to stay tune but if this behavior keeps up I'll have to quit. 

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, abbey said:

I take a water aerobics class 3 times a week and if our instructor cannot be there another class member will usually take over the class.  Not a big deal and the instructor doesn't care.  As long as Whitney has people who support her in her    arrogance and delusions she is never going to learn anything and improve her attitude and her health.

I used to take a spinning class and students would step in and teach the class if the instructor couldn't do it for the same reason the young lady did, we were all here at the gym anyway so we just decided to do it.  They got permission from the gym and if I had to guess I would say the lady got permission from the dance studio itself to do this because unless Whitney owns the actual bldg. there isn't really all that much she can do.  Plus like a previous poster said this is a reality tv show and there were cameras in the class with a different instructor soooo....come one just another reason for Whit to lash out *shrug*

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

The scene showing her shoveling food in her face in the car- with the resultant stares from another driver- was weird. And then she cries, "anything I put in my mouth makes people judge me!"  (tears, tears).  Honestly, I don't ever eat an entire meal in my car in my own town.  Perhaps when I travel now and then.  But she displays a lot of the secretive binge-type eating that displays her inability to control herself.  Her absolute refusal to "make a drastic lifestyle change" seems almost panicky.  

^^^Good points there! I know from experience that if you have a home, with a kitchen, table, and chairs, you don't need to eat an entire meal in your car in your own town. You might get takeout - but you can take it home. Sure, there may be times when you're on a tight schedule and need to eat away from home, but it doesn't seem that was the situation shown with Whitney.

I'm fortunate to have pretty good health, and I'm glad that I don't have a serious eating disorder. But I've done a few "secretive binge-type eating" things, emotionally driven, and each time, it involved food from drive-throughs, and eating in the car, and nobody at home knowing anything about it.

Those bouts of eating are completely different from realizing you're actually hungry and grabbing a taco and iced tea at the drive through window as your lunch, when running errands around town. Especially when you *know* it's your lunch and you don't sit right down and eat another lunch a bit later. I bet dollars to donuts that Whit didn't count that meal in her car as one of her "real" meals of the day. Sick stuff, and sorry to sound "mean," but if you're taking TLC money and making a career all about your fat fabulous life, you're fair game for comment when you're shown acting in a sick and disordered way. 

• Love 8
48 minutes ago, abbey said:

As far as that dance class member doing Whitney's job, when I was out sick at my job a coworker would take over my job until I returned.  I wouldn't expect my work to sit untouched until I returned.  Granted it was a 9-5 job with work that couldn't be left undone, but it shouldn't be a big deal if someone filled in for her so her students wouldn't miss a class.   I was over on facebook (think it was on Whitney's page but it might have been the show's page) and comments were strongly supportive of her anger at the other girl taking over her class. I don't understand that.   I take a water aerobics class 3 times a week and if our instructor cannot be there another class member will usually take over the class.  Not a big deal and the instructor doesn't care.  As long as Whitney has people who support her in her    arrogance and delusions she is never going to learn anything and improve her attitude and her health.

I'm sure they don't approve posts by anybody who disagrees with her or they delete those posts and block whoever posted. Basically, if you want to disagree on a reality star's Facebook or Twitter, just feel satisfied that they saw it before they blocked you. Forums like this are the only places where you can read the public's true viewpoints. 

• Love 4

I don't believe the show has ever really explained the exact legal relationship between Whitney, the Big Girls Dance Class, and the Studio.  

I always just assumed that the Dance Class was something that Whitney (most likely along with her friend who's always up front in class with her) started up and either: 1) were already members of the Dance Studio and just got approval for it; or 2) made a deal to rent space from the Studio to hold the class.

But if either of those scenarios were the case, Whitney wouldn't really have to worry about "getting fired" from teaching the class.  

I mean, I know it's all bullshit and phony anyway.  But I just wish they'd try to keep some internal logical consistency.

Jeffro's report confirms what the close-cropped camera shots suggested, which is that Whitney is not a draw.  I'm guessing that even most of the few people who were there were "encouraged" for one reason or another and weren't there out of admiration for Whitney.  That seems to be the case at every "event" where she appears/speaks.  I'm thinking of that dance award thing in upstate New York.

I don't have a problem with the producers of the show seeding the audience with challenging questions for Whitney.  If she really wants to be an advocate, then she's got to have answers for those questions.  

I'm genuinely curious what the people who are deep in the actual, somewhat structured "fat acceptance/healthy-at-any-weight" community think of Whitney. Because I'm guessing that she's not the best spokesperson for the cause.

• Love 7

Madding crowd,

Way to go on stating your opinion.    If we all agreed it would be boring and no one would ever learn anything.

I have no problem with promoting no body shaming.    As I wrote earlier, it is wrong to make fun of, make comments or laugh at a fat person. And I agree that pressuring someone into dieting doesn't work either. In fact, dieting never works. It takes a permanent change in attitude and lifestyle to really lose weight and become healthy.

The big problem I have to promoting this anti- body shaming as a way to promote saying its ok to be overweight, to accept obesity, be happy with your body and live your life.   To be clear I am not talking about anyone with a few extra pounds, I am talking about people Whitney's size and larger.   It is just not healthy period.  What Whitney is saying is that despite all the warnings from doctors, its pretty fine to live with or eventually have a long list of medical problems that will kill you.    That is NOT a good message, especially for young people. She is not a role model. She is broadcasting a dangerous message.

Of course, TLC is famous for exploitation and I am sure they are counting on Whitney to become seriously ill or die. Might sound harsh or dramatic, but their track record speaks for itself.   Of course, the bottom line is its ultimately Whitney who is to blame. 

I will say it again, she needs a real intervention and serious help. Her enablers need it too.

• Love 11
44 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

I don't believe the show has ever really explained the exact legal relationship between Whitney, the Big Girls Dance Class, and the Studio.  

I always just assumed that the Dance Class was something that Whitney (most likely along with her friend who's always up front in class with her) started up and either: 1) were already members of the Dance Studio and just got approval for it; or 2) made a deal to rent space from the Studio to hold the class.

But if either of those scenarios were the case, Whitney wouldn't really have to worry about "getting fired" from teaching the class.  

I mean, I know it's all bullshit and phony anyway.  But I just wish they'd try to keep some internal logical consistency.

Jeffro's report confirms what the close-cropped camera shots suggested, which is that Whitney is not a draw.  I'm guessing that even most of the few people who were there were "encouraged" for one reason or another and weren't there out of admiration for Whitney.  That seems to be the case at every "event" where she appears/speaks.  I'm thinking of that dance award thing in upstate New York.

I don't have a problem with the producers of the show seeding the audience with challenging questions for Whitney.  If she really wants to be an advocate, then she's got to have answers for those questions.  

I'm genuinely curious what the people who are deep in the actual, somewhat structured "fat acceptance/healthy-at-any-weight" community think of Whitney. Because I'm guessing that she's not the best spokesperson for the cause.

The dance class is not real. They only do it when the show is filming. I don't live too far from the area and looked into it. ;)

• Love 11
(edited)

Re: her dance class, I'm not surprised to hear it isn't a "real class." I'm not really sure how the dance instruction industry works, but I know a bit about the fitness industry. Generally instructors require some sort of specialized training or certification to teach. Obviously, Whitney has nothing, which would normally open up the studio for some kind of lawsuit if improper technique led to injury. It is possible, then, that Whitney is an independent contractor and either carries her own/the show's insurance and/or makes everyone sign liability waivers to participate. If she is an independent contractor, she can NOT "lose her class." Either she can give up her class willingly; the dance studio can terminate her contractor status; or a new instructor can create a competing class and steal her business, although it would have to run at a different time/in a different room. I am an independent contractor at my gym and have been employees at this and other gyms, as both a trainer and a group fitness instructor. The way her class is run, at least that we've seen in this episode, and the fact that Whitney has no apparent certifications or credentials means she is almost certainly NOT an employee of the dance studio. My guess is independent contractor who is paid directly by the clients. So her bitching was, again, for nothing. She can't lose her class just like that.

ETA: In this analysis I am basically considering Whitney a Zumba instructor of some sort. It's the closest I can figure to what she does, although Zumba does have a certification process also.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 9

@lovetheduns now I'm really confused because a previous poster said she actually went to her studio and took a class. I can't find the post now but I would like to know more because I'd think she'd be getting lines out the door and tons of business now that she's famous. So it actually doesn't make sense that it's a real class. Maybe the previous poster meant that she went to a class of Whitney's before the show ever started.

• Love 2