Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E03: Speechless

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, Nowhere said:

@lovetheduns now I'm really confused because a previous poster said she actually went to her studio and took a class. I can't find the post now but I would like to know more because I'd think she'd be getting lines out the door and tons of business now that she's famous. So it actually doesn't make sense that it's a real class. Maybe the previous poster meant that she went to a class of Whitney's before the show ever started.

I took it to mean that maybe the class is only "on" when the season is filming, so it isn't happening in the "off months." It could use some clarification though, since there are a lot of ways to read that! :)

• Love 4

I would never even think to say "I think we're done here" to my dad in that condescending tone. Just who the hell does that disrespectful, snotty, know it all brat think she is?  I really like her parents. They are lovely people. They never learned how to raise Whitney to be a lovely person. 

Whitney smokes? and is 380 pounds? There is no way she climbed those steps in 4 minutes or what ever they said. No Way. They must have had to stop the camera's many times so she could take breaks. We're not stupid. 

• Love 16
8 hours ago, Jeffro said:

So, hi! I'm the guy who asked the question in the beginning, and the whole thing was super duper bizarre.

I'm the assistant debate coach at App, and my boss got an email from the producers on Monday before the event on Saturday or Sunday (I forget which) asking if we could have some kind of personalized throw down with her. As the week went on and their filming schedule appeared to change, they pared it down to "a couple" of questions during the Q&A, and they specifically selected the two people they wanted. Me, I assume for my maleness (and also because I hover around 300 pounds; the chest up shot was pretty kind to me), and the last girl to speak, I assume for her thinness.

Hi Jeffro, thanks for giving us a behind the scenes look at this episode.  It confirms what a lot of us were already thinking -  that much of the show is producer induced drama, and that very little of it is real.  It also confirms that the producers have stopped trying to make her look good and are instead looking to have her called out on her refusal to honestly admit and address her weight/health issues.  No surprise that they chose a debate coach to ask your question and that they wanted it to be confrontational. 

It is also no surprise to me that the show has actually created a sham life for Whitney for appearances sake only.  A sham "talk" at her school, predetermined people in the audience asking predetermined questions, sitting in predetermined seats.  A small crowd made to look bigger by using camera techniques.  A sham job with a local baseball team.  A sham boyfriend who's probably really her physical therapist/caretaker.  A possibly sham dancing class that she may or may not really be that invested in judging from the nasty way she treated some of the women when the spotlight wasn't all on her.  A producer instigated confrontation between her and her "dance class" over holding the class without her, which was probably a ruse and yes, another sham.  Now taking up with a former fitness coach, probably because the producers insisted on it.  One wonders what else about her and this show has been completely manufactured from the ground up.  They've outed her on her smoking and her car eating, made it obvious that Babs prefers Buddy over Lennie.  Wow, TLC really has it in for her.  I can only imagine that what I and others have said is true, that she has not cooperated with TPTB over the direction of the show so now they've taken off the gloves and are exposing more of the real Whitney.  And it's not a pretty sight!

• Love 9
23 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

@lovetheduns now I'm really confused because a previous poster said she actually went to her studio and took a class. I can't find the post now but I would like to know more because I'd think she'd be getting lines out the door and tons of business now that she's famous. So it actually doesn't make sense that it's a real class. Maybe the previous poster meant that she went to a class of Whitney's before the show ever started.

If you search on the big girl dance class it says on her page, "How do I join Big Girl Dance Class? If you living in Greensboro, NC or the surrounding area, you are welcome to join Big Girl Dance Class. If class is being filmed that day, it is free of charge, but you must be over 18 years old and sign a release. If class is NOT being filmed, the cost is $5.00 per person and all ages are welcome. All races, sexual orientations, and abilities welcome always! Check the calendar for upcoming classes!" If you click on the calendar there is nothing at this time. 

I I don't think Whitney wants to work i.e. She is not serious about being a dance instructor it is only for the show. Her job is the reality show ;)

• Love 11

So with all these excellent observations and comments I am going to throw out a question that I hope someone can answer because I have been wracking my brain for years on this and can't come up with a good answer.  Here goes.

I am acquainted with a woman Whitney's size.  She's very short and over 300 lbs.  Like the DanceMaster she is pushy, rude and an overall bully to others.  She's older than Whitney but reverts to the same "cutesy" personality when all eyes are on her.  I observed her in cutesy mode and within a split second she's a vile, nasty, gossipy human being.  People in her department are scared to death of her.  She gets away with revealing information that really should be confidential.  She sends nasty emails not just to her department but to other departments as well.  Everyone in this center bows and scrapes at her feet.  So much like the DanceMaster. 

Things she does at her job would be grounds for termination.   She mocks some of her clients and when others ask "how can she get away with it?" the answer is always the same "that's Sally" (Not her name but you get where I'm going).  She talks nonstop keeping people from doing their jobs and yet no one does anything about it.  Everyone is afraid of her and lets her run the show.

Speaking of running the show she's just like the DanceMaster.  Do her friends really love. love, her or are they afraid of the wrath of Whit?  I wouldn't put it past her ripping up a room because she doesn't like a facebook post or looked at her in what she thinks is the wrong way.  I wouldn't go near her for anything.  When all this "fame" disappears - and it will - she won't know how to handle it.  Think Nora Desmond.

So, if anyone has any sort of answer that would explain this sort of behavior I really would appreciate it.  I could pass it along.

And one more thing - where's her brother?  Did he jump ship or in this case got off the gravy train before it wrecked?

(edited)
47 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I would never even think to say "I think we're done here" to my dad in that condescending tone. Just who the hell does that disrespectful, snotty, know it all brat think she is?  I really like her parents. They are lovely people. They never learned how to raise Whitney to be a lovely person. 

I agree, but I think that if Babs and Glenn had had a daughter with a different personality she would have grown up to be a lovely person.  I think it is clear after all this time that Whitney herself is a handful and that the combination between her and her parents is not a good one.  I really can't blame her parents for this that much.  I believe they have done the best they could with her.  One of the problems is that Babs herself tends to instigate Whitney but again, with another type of daughter this would not be an issue.  Same with Glenn.  I see him trying his best but with Whitney it comes off as enabling - If my own father had had a daughter like Whitney I don't even know if he could have handled it as well as Glenn.  And I think my Dad is a great Dad, too!  Very much like Glenn.

47 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Whitney smokes? and is 380 pounds? There is no way she climbed those steps in 4 minutes or what ever they said. No Way. They must have had to stop the camera's many times so she could take breaks. We're not stupid. 

YES....Another sham producer manufactured scene!!!  As long as she does what they want they'll make her look better!

Edited by Snarklepuss
  • Love 4
On 6/22/2016 at 9:49 PM, Brooklynista said:

I never noticed how thin her hair is.  

Have we ever seen Whitney sit w a nutritionist?  I hate that she thinks it'll take an all or nothing approach to lose weight.  She doesn't have to eat 100% clean to drop weight.  She could start with leaving the cheesesteak toppings off of her pizza. That's an easy 800 calories off of her daily intake.  

It's also VERY easy to rack up the calories drinking wine (or wine coolers, malt type beverages, I'm thinking of BudLite's line of Rita beverages, I know I love the Mango, it clocks in at 195 calories for an 8oz can, red wine, at least the big bolds I like, I can pass on sweet wine, are around 123 cals for 5oz.).  If you are eating, socializing and enjoying some wine, it's easy to go through several hundred calories in alcohol over the course of several hours. I wouldn't find it hard to believe Whitney could go through a bottle, bottle and a half, or even two bottles over the course of an afternoon/night, totalling close to 1,300 cals in alcohol alone (for 2 bottles, depending on the type of wine, of course).

• Love 5
On 6/22/2016 at 10:31 PM, DNR said:

What ? No. Whitney you say you've lost 100 and gained back 150.... You've gained back 100-150 lbs.  She can't be honest about ONE SINGLE thing 

Has she gained 100-150 since the start of this show? Because I thought the last weight revealed was around 375-380? That would be 175/180lbs gain from the 200lbs she had dropped to, or am I confusing weights?

It's clear to me she's gained significantly since Season 1 and I think at her size, you have to gain A LOT to look like you've gained?

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

I can just see Whitney now sobbing like a baby and blaming herself for not appreciating her dad more when he was alive after he passes. 

This will NEVER happen because Glen is going to outlive her. He's in way better shape than she is.

I seem to recall posting something in the first season about her having daddy issues...I need to look that up and reread it.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Snarklepuss said:

4 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

I agree, but I think that if Babs and Glenn had had a daughter with a different personality she would have grown up to be a lovely person.  I think it is clear after all this time that Whitney herself is a handful and that the combination between her and her parents is not a good one.  I really can't blame her parents for this that much.  I believe they have done the best they could with her.  One of the problems is that Babs herself tends to instigate Whitney but again, with another type of daughter this would not be an issue.  Same with Glenn.  I see him trying his best but with Whitney it comes off as enabling - If my own father had had a daughter like Whitney I don't even know if he could have handled it as well as Glenn. 

I agree. Case in point the brother (from what little we have seen and not have seen) is way more functional as an adult than Twit. Parents can only do so much.  The only problem I can currently see is that they baby Twit but it maybe because they may feel that the weight issue is partly their fault and I see Babs wishing that Twit was a mini me of her instead of Twit really is. 

• Love 5

As a college freshman, I porked out and gained about 20 pounds. Beer, late night runs to Dennys and pizza were so fun, but fattening.  My dear dad couldn't bear to get after me, but would ask what I weigh and tell me to exercise and watch what I eat. It was so awkward, but I know it was from love and I was 19. No one can make Whitney lose weight but Whitney (Twit ?), but  Glen is blinded by love. She acts like a petulant child in her dealings with him. When someone does something nice for you, you say "thank you ".

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, greekmom said:

I agree. Case in point the brother (from what little we have seen and not have seen) is way more functional as an adult than Twit. Parents can only do so much.  The only problem I can currently see is that they baby Twit but it maybe because they may feel that the weight issue is partly their fault and I see Babs wishing that Twit was a mini me of her instead of Twit really is. 

Twitney! I love it!

• Love 6
On 6/22/2016 at 10:38 PM, absolutelyido said:

You are right about that. Which makes me wonder how many cigarettes a day "having an occasional drag" equates to. I'd guess she smokes at least a couple of cigarettes every day.

Someone who 'has an occasional drag' doesn't smoke multiple cigarettes regularly, which is exactly what the coach said he saw her doing.  I also call bullshit.  

On 6/22/2016 at 11:01 PM, Nowhere said:

So if Whitney can't get the choreography, it must be bad choreography? She can't do turns so therefore her students don't get the opportunity to ever learn them? Why is she implying that the students can't learn a pirouette? I don't think I'd want a dance instructor who can't instruct a turn. I think the big girls should be given every opportunity and if Whitney can't instruct them then maybe they do need a substitute every now and then.

When I heard her say "I can't turn" I was gobsmacked.  Does she mean she can't twirl as a rule or because she's 'recuperating'? Who can't turn around?!

On 6/23/2016 at 2:15 AM, Lightning said:

Whitney's "dancing" cracks me up.  Stomp your left foot, stomp your right foot, keep right foot in place and take 5 steps with your left foot for a "pivot"; wave left arm and take a step back; wave right arm and take a step back.  Stand still and wag hips side to side 4 times.  There!!!  Choreography!!  

This killed me.

12 hours ago, Cherrio said:

As cute and genuine as her parents are, they are no different than other family and friends who are co-dependent and enablers to any other kind of addict. She needs to switch networks and be on Intervention. Or she can stay on TLC and end up on My 600 lb. Life.     

She isn't even delusional, she just wants to do whatever she wants.  And, what she wants to do is going to kill her.

I would love to see this show handled seriously, like Intervention, and see a food addict and possible narcissist be treated for her many conditions.  TLC is wasting some primo material here.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, greekmom said:

Does anyone have any info on her brother? IIRC, he lives in New York cuz he showed up at the dinner before she danced at the Museum of Dance (?) last season.  Hopefully, he didn't get the fame whore gene & prefers not to be on TV.  I also think they may be  the kind of family where siblings are raised the same way but for whatever reasons, end up with totally different & opposite lives. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Does anyone have any info on her brother? IIRC, he lives in New York cuz he showed up at the dinner before she danced at the Museum of Dance (?) last season.  Hopefully, he didn't get the fame whore gene & prefers not to be on TV.  I also think they may be  the kind of family where siblings are raised the same way but for whatever reasons, end up with totally different & opposite lives. 

Strong case for nature over nurture.

• Love 4

I did feel bad for Glenn. Even if his "gentle prodding" had gotten annoying, and I can see where it might, Whitney could have refused the help with the same kindness with which he'd offered it. It's time for Glenn to let go, though. He keeps getting kicked in the stomach because he won't step out of range.

I like the title of Whitney's book. She's saying she's no longer the person who covered mirrors, and she wants other people to be comfortable in their bodies, too. That fact the idea of a person Whitney's size in a stretch pants or having sex grosses some people out is exactly why her No BS campaign makes sense. Sometimes those people have given the idea some thought and just can't handle those things. But sometimes it's a kneejerk reaction, based on our society's ideas of how a fat person should act because she's--ew--fat.

It's too bad the edit glossed over the important point Whitney made in her speech, that fat shaming is socially acceptable behavior. To me, changing that is what No BS should be about. No one should feel free to holler insults out a car window or publicly criticize a heavy newscaster or hand out letters about weight loss to overweight trick-or-treaters. The idea behind acceptance is that you don't have to live up to unhealthy standards, not that it's ok to be unhealthy. That was the answer to Jeffro's question. I guess I'm naive, because I expected Whitney to know that.

People have been saying Whitney looks like Babs, but I never saw it until this episode. When she walked into the dance class she'd dropped all the (I think) fake ebullience she usually has. Her face was calm, still and like a reflection of Babs. Uncanny.

I've seen a couple of posts that mentioned set point and wanted to post this article from My Fitness Pal for anyone interested in knowing more: Ask the Dietitian: Why is Weight Loss So Hard?

• Love 9
On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 3:53 PM, lovetheduns said:

If you search on the big girl dance class it says on her page, "How do I join Big Girl Dance Class? If you living in Greensboro, NC or the surrounding area, you are welcome to join Big Girl Dance Class. If class is being filmed that day, it is free of charge, but you must be over 18 years old and sign a release. If class is NOT being filmed, the cost is $5.00 per person and all ages are welcome. All races, sexual orientations, and abilities welcome always! Check the calendar for upcoming classes!" If you click on the calendar there is nothing at this time. 

I I don't think Whitney wants to work i.e. She is not serious about being a dance instructor it is only for the show. Her job is the reality show ;)

And right beneath the paragraph that you quoted it says:

"Can I start my own Big Girl Dance Class? Big Girl Dance Class is trademarked, so you may not start your own class using the name "Big Girl Dance Class," but Whitney encourages everyone to find a dance class in their area that works for them or even start one of their own, like she did!"

I really thought the schedule would be on the dance studio's web site but this is on the nobodyshame web site which is where she sells her book, BS logo items, etc.  I wonder if the girl leading the class called it by name "Big Girl Dance Class" or if she just got the girls together for a class...???

• Love 2
(edited)

BIG FUCKING DEAL DANCE CLASS!  Who cares?  Like it's trademarked cuz trainers are lining up to steal the name.  Once a week, folks...once a week dance class from a person who is NOT TRAINED IN DANCE or in fitness, p.e., or anything vaguely related to health!  

Whit can jiggle, but that's it.  No "choreography"or effort there. 

I would love for someone to go on the cruise or to the dance class and fitbit how many steps it is for an hour.  I doubt it breaks 1,000. 

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, ShowsILoveToHate said:

And right beneath the paragraph that you quoted it says:

"Can I start my own Big Girl Dance Class? Big Girl Dance Class is trademarked, so you may not start your own class using the name "Big Girl Dance Class," but Whitney encourages everyone to find a dance class in their area that works for them or even start one of their own, like she did!"

I really thought the schedule would be on the dance studio's web site but this is on the nobodyshame web site which is where she sells her book, BS logo items, etc.  I wonder if the girl leading the class called it by name "Big Girl Dance Class" or if she just got the girls together for a class...???

For all of Whitney's dimwitted ideas for making money, licensing the Big Girl Dance Class name/brand might actually be successful.  But I suppose she'd just rather lumber around a minor-league ballpark.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

I like the title of Whitney's book. She's saying she's no longer the person who covered mirrors, and she wants other people to be comfortable in their bodies, too. That fact the idea of a person Whitney's size in a stretch pants or having sex grosses some people out is exactly why her No BS campaign makes sense. Sometimes those people have given the idea some thought and just can't handle those things. But sometimes it's a kneejerk reaction, based on our society's ideas of how a fat person should act because she's--ew--fat.

I don't object to the title because she is fat.  I object to the title because it is unnecessarily vulgar.  I am fat--like Twit. I am also from the south--like Twit.  The title did not make me picture her having sex, it made me think that, at 32, she should be more mature than that.  She could have titled it "I Don't Hide to Eat" "Healthy At Any Weight"  (a la Ralph Nader,) or "I Don't Body Shame Others." However, none of those titles would be true.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, Alapaki said:

For all of Whitney's dimwitted ideas for making money, licensing the Big Girl Dance Class name/brand might actually be successful.  But I suppose she'd just rather lumber around a minor-league ballpark.

After a very quick Google search I found that Thore Unlimited LLC has trademarks for more than just "Big Girl Dance Class".  Here's a link to the trademark search (if this is not allowed then I apologise):

http://www.trademarkia.com/company-thore-unlimited-llc-4337361-page-1-2

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

People have been saying Whitney looks like Babs, but I never saw it until this episode. When she walked into the dance class she'd dropped all the (I think) fake ebullience she usually has. Her face was calm, still and like a reflection of Babs. Uncanny.

I thought it was because of the darker hair and esp. the red lipstick!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Alapaki said:

It would be successful if she could actually do something with it, like a nationally recognized dance class.  

But, if she isn't losing weight or getting any discernible health benefit from the class I can't imagine a ton of people taking it.  In all likelihood someone will see that its a good idea, rename it and make money off of it.

Its actually a great idea -- a dance class/workout class for obese people, that takes their needs into consideration.  There isn't a ton of that available out there.  I think of my own gym, and maybe the only class that would fit that demographic would be pool aerobics.  But other than that, I think someone who was obese would probably just about fall out 10 minutes into something like step aerobics, or Zumba!

And she could make it a whole thing -- with the workout classes, nutrition, goal tracking, support groups.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:33 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I don't believe that TLC is holding Whitney back.  I would think they would be very much on board with her getting fit.  It would likely bring in more viewers to see such a transformation.  I sense the resistance is just Whitney.  I agree with the post above about it being addict behavior.  Obesity is very complex and I understand that she may have some qualms about losing weight in light of her No Body Shame brainchild, but, it's getting ridiculous.

Anyone know what her life expectancy is at her current weight?  She has to want it, to get it done. I know that surgery brings on lots of things to consider, but I wonder if she does need to explore it as an option.  Of course, you have to work the program to make that work too.

My friend went through the process and had to follow a plan and lose weight before they would OK her for surgery. One thing she said that stood out to me was that you can cheat even with a surgically altered stomach by eating (drinking really) softened ice cream, malts and shakes and things like Starbucks "dessert" drinks. Whit isn't even ready for that kind of help. (altho I always felt both her and Ruby did something like the lap band when they both dropped a bunch of weight one time only)

Edited by Almost 3000
  • Love 4

I had Gastric Bypass back in 2001.....lost 150 pounds and kept it off. I hate when TLC latches onto a theme (fat people, little people,amish etc)

Granted she puts herself out there but I cannot watch one second of it because it just comes across as so in-authentic.

• Love 5
(edited)
21 hours ago, Passing Strange said:

It's too bad the edit glossed over the important point Whitney made in her speech, that fat shaming is socially acceptable behavior. To me, changing that is what No BS should be about. No one should feel free to holler insults out a car window or publicly criticize a heavy newscaster or hand out letters about weight loss to overweight trick-or-treaters. The idea behind acceptance is that you don't have to live up to unhealthy standards, not that it's ok to be unhealthy. That was the answer to Jeffro's question. I guess I'm naive, because I expected Whitney to know that.

I think this is a reasonable articulation of what a "no body shame" campaign should be, but I don't think that's what Whitney's campaign is actually about. To the extent it has any focused message (which is kind of a big "if" to me) the message seems to be:"Obese people can do or be or have everything they want (including perfect health, or at least the same level of health as the non-obese). If anyone suggests their weight is a problem for any reason (including having negative effects on their health)  then they are obviously haters and should be ignored." This apparently includes emergency room doctors, cardiologists and worried friends and parents.)

So Whitney couldn't really answer Jeffro's question*. I think the gist of his question was that, when obesity is obviously creating and/or exacerbating serious health problems (as for his diabetic father) but people in that situation use "No Body Shame," and "Fat Acceptance" advocacy as a justification for not losing weight, don't the advocates bear some moral responsibility?"

*On her Facebook  page, she suggest anyone wanting to know her real answer should read a chapter in her "memoir." But I am going to guess that this would be another example of Whitney rewriting the question to make her answer work. She tends to define a question like Jeffro's as accusing her of "promoting obesity," after which she predictably argues that she doesn't advocate for anyone gaining hundreds of pounds to look like she does, and she doesn't think people are voluntarily gaining hundreds of pounds to be like she is, so she can't be accused of promoting obesity. Which does not answer, but avoids Jeffro's actual point, imo.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 6

I'm in the minority, but in terms of the dance class scene (setting aside whether it was producer-driven or not), I do think Whitney had a legitimate reason to be upset that one of her students decided to lead the class and did not inform her of it.  I think the student was very much in the wrong. Again, I know this whole thing was probably fake, but taking it on face-value, I was on Whitney's side.

I also felt like she tried to act as professional as possible. In her TH's, we heard her real feelings, but she was much more restrained when she spoke to the woman. Yes she had a bitch-face on when she walked in, but after that, she went with the flow, joined the dance, and then spoke to her privately afterward. Had she blown up at her in front of everyone, that would have been very inappropriate.

I also liked that when she did talk to the woman, she explained that her feelings about the heart issue were affecting her fears about losing her class.  She didn't just attack the woman, she told her how her actions made her feel. She did not come across like a bitch to me when she was actually speaking to the woman. I actually thought she was calmer than I might have been!

• Love 9

This thread is for discussing the episode only.  I have removed a dozen posts which were off-topic.  If you want to discuss personal experiences with weight, weight loss, body-shaming or the mismanagement of the Curves franchise, take it to the Small Talk thread where it belongs.

On 6/24/2016 at 0:01 PM, Madding crowd said:

I have a bit of different point of view and pretty much know I will be alone here-so maybe don't throw stones for my bravery alone (lol). I don't think you should give an overweight person diet food or diet materials unless they ask you for it. I would be offended if someone showed up at my house with weight loss stuff. He shouldn't be bringing her toilet paper either. I have a suspicion Whitney's parents are very controlling and I also suspect they have been trying to get her to diet for a long time. It is the individual's responsibility to diet, no one else can or should make that choice for them. No one every lost weight through another person pushing; you have to do it yourself.

I agree with the basic message of no body shaming; but agree Whitney is not doing a good job of it. All people fat or thin are human beings and have a right to care about themselves and not be made fun of. People think a fat person will lose more weight if they hate themselves or if they receive messages of hate but it is just the opposite. I just read a diet book with the statement "Losing weight won't make you happy, but being happy will make you lose weight" and I believe in that 100%. If you can love yourself and find the happiest life you can, you will lose weight because you won't need food as a way to stuff your emotions. I also don't see any point in hating or ridiculing someone because of their weight. If you are at a good weight, than keep it up and realize everyone else is different. 

I think it would be good for Whitney to spend less time with her parents. They seem to treat her like a little girl and she responds to that treatment. I think if she could find a career she is passionate about and forget about the reality star stuff, she would be happier and maybe spend less time thinking about food. As for her class, I can kind of understand. I teach classes and if I can't be there I hire a substitute. If I had to cancel a class though, I wouldn't want someone else just taking over without contacting me. Just think about your own job; if you are out sick for a day do you want your co-worker taking over you job? The woman could have contacted Whitney. 

I agree she isn't living a fabulous life, but how many people are? Everyone has problems and issues. I do think the show should be cancelled because I don't believe fat people should be ridiculed and it seems people are not interested in just watching her everyday life, so what's left? 

I agree with what you said (see bolded), EXCEPT...Whitney acts like a child who needs to be taken care of.  So....she and her parents have kind of developed this parent/child relationship where the parents take care of the child long past the usual age, and the child acts helpless and in need of that help.

• Love 4
(edited)

I agree with localgov and Christmas Jones.  

Whit uses her parents for $ -- paying her bills and car, before she got the baseball job and tlc, so they understandably figure they have a right to tell her how to live her life.  

If she really was mature, she would have talked to her dad gently and respectfully,  and had him take EVERYTHING back or to his house.  I imagine he tried to help her before this way,  and she sent mixed messages....calling him her savior abt the toilet paper, etc. 

Also, getting overweight is an environmental thing as well as emotional. ...in that we live in a worl of hyper-seasoned-sugared-salted foods that are advertised EVERYWHERE.  It's tough to avoid the ads.  

Also,  there is eating for pleasure and mouth- feel (crunchy/smooth/creamy/spicy/tangy,  etc.) even when you're full.  

Eating due to boredom--just cuz its there.

Eating due to social pressure when you're out with friends or family.  Family especially at holidays when someone cooks  those once-a-year treats so you feel entitled to eat it, or deprived if you abstain,  or insulting a host if you don't eat after all their hard work-- yep,  lots of food pushers out there too.

Eating mindlessly while watching TV.  

I ve done alot of research on dieting.  Yoni Freedhoff had a great book that basically says you won't stay on a diet that's boring for very long.  Michael Pollan is also wise.  Mindless Eating is an awesome book about psychology of eating--easy to leaf thru and read whenever.  I'm not getting kickbacks from anyone anywhere.  

Sorry i went off topic. I ll finish in small talk.

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 5

I agree with a couple here about the Dance class.  Granted, I think it's certainly staged, but, having a student take over your class without your knowledge is INAPPROPRIATE (.I would have been much more livid about it.)  We are led to believe it's her business.  You don't mess with someone's livelihood.  Plus, how did they get into the building?  I would assume it would be locked.  Plus, what if someone got injured or sick?  She's not there, but it's her class.  All kinds of legal liability issues. Just a bad move, but still. I think they were likely told to do that.  Most of these storylines...you can't delve into them too deep, because they don't hold water.  Still, I like this show.  I'm from NC, so it's like home to me.  

I do like Whit, but fear they are pushing the envelope too much lately.  Her stubborn streak on the weight issue pushes people's buttons. I hope they can turn it around before she alienates too many viewers, because I do think there is a genuinely good person there.  She can be entertaining too.  I sense that they miscalculated some of the skits and didn't anticipate the anger it would generate.  

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Granted, I think it's certainly staged, but, having a student take over your class without your knowledge is INAPPROPRIATE (.I would have been much more livid about it.)  We are led to believe it's her business.  You don't mess with someone's livelihood.  Plus, how did they get into the building?  I would assume it would be locked.  Plus, what if someone got injured or sick?  She's not there, but it's her class.  All kinds of legal liability issues.

But that's the problem with the show never having really explained the whole dance class situation.  Teaching one class a week can hardly count as Whitney's "business".  It seems more like a class that the studio has agreed to host, and which Whitney leads.  (although, frankly, we've seen Whitney's male friend do as much if not more teaching and choreography than we have from Whitney).  

If anyone would be concerned, liability-wise, it would be the studio.  But that's not Whitney's fight.  Especially if, as Whitney wanted us to think, her job leading the class was in jeopardy due to her fainting or whatever.  If the studio has the right to fire her, then the studio has the right to permit someone else to fill-in for her, and it's not her call.

And this also gets back to that bone I'm never going to drop: what's he fucking point.  Is the dance class supposed to be an outlet for larger folks (mainly women it seems) to feel free and safe enough to dance in a judgment-free environment and with choreography that wouldn't be too challenging for them?  If so, who cares who leads it.  Is it supposed to be some sort of exercise class, in which case theoretically a bit more actual training and knowledge might be required to run the class (training and knowledge we have no reason to believe Whitney herself possesses?)  If so, then it's back to the age-old question of what the point of this show is supposed to be?  Are we cheering on an attempt to lose weight, or are we celebrating a self-confidence to not feel the need to do so?

Or is this class, like the show itself, apparently, about Whitney's desire for a cult of personality?

And amidst all the other bullshit of this past episode, I neglected to comment on the stair-climbing challenge.  I'm significantly taller than Whitney and significantly lighter, although still overweight and what my doctor euphemistically calls "de-conditioned".  I'm sucking wind after two flights of stairs.  There's no way Whitney did those six or so flights of stairs up and down in the time we were told.  The only way that happened is if the trainer allowed her to take un-timed breaks on each landing while he stopped the clock.

• Love 14
(edited)
5 hours ago, Alapaki said:

There's no way Whitney did those six or so flights of stairs up and down in the time we were told.  The only way that happened is if the trainer allowed her to take un-timed breaks on each landing while he stopped the clock.

And if this did happen, the DanceMaster promptly found a place for a smoke and a half-Frappacinno (she didn't eat anything that morning).

Edited by PsychoKlown
On June 26, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Ketzel said:

I think this is a reasonable articulation of what a "no body shame" campaign should be, but I don't think that's what Whitney's campaign is actually about. To the extent it has any focused message (which is kind of a big "if" to me) the message seems to be:"Obese people can do or be or have everything they want (including perfect health, or at least the same level of health as the non-obese). If anyone suggests their weight is a problem for any reason (including having negative effects on their health)  then they are obviously haters and should be ignored." This apparently includes emergency room doctors, cardiologists and worried friends and parents.)

So Whitney couldn't really answer Jeffro's question*. I think the gist of his question was that, when obesity is obviously creating and/or exacerbating serious health problems (as for his diabetic father) but people in that situation use "No Body Shame," and "Fat Acceptance" advocacy as a justification for not losing weight, don't the advocates bear some moral responsibility?"

*On her Facebook  page, she suggest anyone wanting to know her real answer should read a chapter in her "memoir." But I am going to guess that this would be another example of Whitney rewriting the question to make her answer work. She tends to define a question like Jeffro's as accusing her of "promoting obesity," after which she predictably argues that she doesn't advocate for anyone gaining hundreds of pounds to look like she does, and she doesn't think people are voluntarily gaining hundreds of pounds to be like she is, so she can't be accused of promoting obesity. Which does not answer, but avoids Jeffro's actual point, imo.

This was indeed my question, especially as applied to someone as public a figure as she obviously is. 

• Love 3

I come at it from a different direction.  I believe it's possible for someone to be overweight (although probably not to Whitney's extent) and still healthy.  Or, at least that engaging in a healthy lifestyle (even one that doesn't result in substantial weight loss) is preferable to taking drastic steps that result in relatively quick and dramatic weight loss which, statistically speaking, will not stay off.

I think that it's important for people who are overweight to be encouraged to live a healthy lifestyle (clean eating, active rather than sedentary, etc.) even though those things may not get them to what is considered a "normal" weight.  The reason I think that's so important is that there are almost certainly a lot of overweight people who resign themselves that if eating healthy, being active, etc. won't make them lose weight, then why bother.

I think that fatalism is the risk that the "fat acceptance" movement can pose.  And that's the question that Whitney refuses to answer.  And I think it's because she can't answer it because she steadfastly refuses to adopt any healthy habits whatsoever.  

If she'd come out on stage like at that college and say "you know, I eat right right, I get exercise, I avoid alcohol (at least in excess) and smoking, and this is my body, and I'm not going to kill myself to lose weight.

• Love 4

Re: the hot tub scene

If some other woman called my BF Boo Bear, they could both have each other. No way would I put up with that. Doesn't Buddy's GF find that icky and inappropriate? Especially since Boo Bear and Whitney live together!

• Love 5
11 hours ago, PityFree said:

Re: the hot tub scene

If some other woman called my BF Boo Bear, they could both have each other. No way would I put up with that. Doesn't Buddy's GF find that icky and inappropriate? Especially since Boo Bear and Whitney live together!

And weren't they an item back in the day? 

8 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

And weren't they an item back in the day? 

Yes - in fact, during the hot tub scene, Whitney does a talking head where she says it is unusual to be in a hot tub with both the man she used to be in love with and the man she is currently in love with. 

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, PityFree said:

Yes - in fact, during the hot tub scene, Whitney does a talking head where she says it is unusual to be in a hot tub with both the man she used to be in love with and the man she is currently in love with. 

Whitney is in love with the new dude? Oh...well she should wear a sign that says so because I see no heat at all between the two of them.

• Love 4
23 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

Whitney is in love with the new dude? Oh...well she should wear a sign that says so because I see no heat at all between the two of them.

Agreed! Especially on Lenny's part. I've noticed that it is mostly Whitney who initiates any touching or kisses. I suspect he counts out his contractually obligated kisses/touches and gives no more. 

From the start their interactions seemed forced to me. It's like Whitney is desperate to prove that overweight women are sexy and desired so she convinced herself she was attracted to him so she can do the "See? I have a BF! An average weight one, too!" thing.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, PityFree said:

Agreed! Especially on Lenny's part. I've noticed that it is mostly Whitney who initiates any touching or kisses. I suspect he counts out his contractually obligated kisses/touches and gives no more. 

From the start their interactions seemed forced to me. It's like Whitney is desperate to prove that overweight women are sexy and desired so she convinced herself she was attracted to him so she can do the "See? I have a BF! An average weight one, too!" thing.

I only bounce in and out of watching Whitney but have the...logistics of Whitney's romances been addressed?  Lennie seems like he's an average male and I don't want to paint with a broad brush but don't most men need/want/require/like physical intimacy?   If Whitney avoids simple physical exertion like walking up stairs, how much attention can she really be giving Lennie btwn the sheets.  Perhaps that's why he always looks so detached from her.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

I only bounce in and out of watching Whitney but have the...logistics of Whitney's romances been addressed?  Lennie seems like he's an average male and I don't want to paint with a broad brush but don't most men need/want/require/like physical intimacy?   If Whitney avoids simple physical exertion like walking up stairs, how much attention can she really be giving Lennie btwn the sheets.  Perhaps that's why he always looks so detached from her.

Oh, but haven't you heard? Whitney does it with the lights on! (At least, until she can't wipe her butt without assistance, which should be in about 8 months)

• Love 9
(edited)

I suspect that Whitney may be like many of us who believe they are eating healthy, but the question is ARE WE REALLY?  I know if I write down everything that I eat for several days, it becomes obvious that I am eating perhaps not what I need to be eating.  I might snack on nuts, fruit, yogurt, etc., but if the calories are too much, I'm defeating my weight loss goals.  I lost about 40 pounds over the last 2 years.  I did it slowly and didn't really deprive myself, but I know that I can't just eat a lot of healthy foods, because they have calories too.  Portion control isn't fun, but, you have to learn what things you can have really large portions of like, cabbage.  It's one reason that I never get anything but a plain coffee at Starbucks either hot or iced and put my own sweetner with a splash of cream.  Those other drinks add up quick. It's just not worth it for me. 

I think Whitney really is at a crossroads with her life.  I hope she picks a road that can bring her true fabulosity. lol Because what we are seeing now is a young woman who cannot do the things she wants. She is in constant pain in her feet and legs.  She can barely function in life, no matter who fast they pretend she can climb stairs.  Listen to what she and her friend say about her being in constant pain.  It must be miserable.  I'm rooting for her. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

Oh, but haven't you heard? Whitney does it with the lights on! (At least, until she can't wipe her butt without assistance, which should be in about 8 months)

Good Lord ClareWalks...I now have visions of a "No BS Butt-Helper"  A long-handled tong-like apparatus that aids in delicate situations where help (aka Babs and Glenn) is not close by. 

The Butt-Helper comes complete with flushable wipes as well as a handy, dandy travel case for those times you're on a cruise.

27 minutes ago, PsychoKlown said:

Good Lord ClareWalks...I now have visions of a "No BS Butt-Helper"  A long-handled tong-like apparatus that aids in delicate situations where help (aka Babs and Glenn) is not close by. 

The Butt-Helper comes complete with flushable wipes as well as a handy, dandy travel case for those times you're on a cruise.

I'm at work so I can't post a picture, but these wondrous devices already exist.

• Love 1