Type keyword(s) to search

Central Intelligence (2016)

Raja
  • Start Topic

(edited)

A little Hart meets a big Johnson and gives us a better movie than the two with an angry Ice Cube.

It was strange that Dwayne Johnson brought the wacky as Kevin Hart played the straight man. After Captain America and Deadpool it was my most fun movie of the year. Nice outtakes during the end credits

Edited by Raja
  • Love 6

I saw Amy Ryan immediately and since her CIA Chief was basically a cop I saw season 2 of The Wire, still not real police but getting there, Arnold passed the torch to Dwayne in The Rundown while he was California's governor. it really showed this time around. Hart and Johnson being like a DeVito and Schwarzenegger.

• Love 2

I laughed the entire way through the movie! I could not stop seeing The Rock as the teenager though. That part, while a huge part of the movie kinda made me sad. Does anyone know why he would take a shower at school each day?  

I loved Kevin and Dwayne together, but it was way over the top - as it was intended to be. Cool flick.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, announcergirl said:

I laughed the entire way through the movie! I could not stop seeing The Rock as the teenager though. That part, while a huge part of the movie kinda made me sad. Does anyone know why he would take a shower at school each day?  

I loved Kevin and Dwayne together, but it was way over the top - as it was intended to be. Cool flick.

It makes me think of Dukie on The Wire, yes all roads lead there for me, a foster kid or not cared for at home.. Bob Stone had no family and CJ was unknowingly   Bob Stone's beneficiary

• Love 1

I just came back from watching it and I loved it! It was a pretty full theater and everyone was cracking up throughout the entire movie. I loved the bloopers at the end as well. It was just a fun, warm, and heartfelt ride.

• Love 5
(edited)

I just saw it this afternoon and I loved it, too.  It was nice to just sit back and have some laughs.  

Kevin Hart wasn't as annoying as I feared he would be, although I lost count of how many times he screamed "oh shit!!!"  Dwayne was just fine and so nice to just look at. He said in an interview that his face was superimposed on an actual fat guy who dances and puts it up on Youtube.  Now I need to find out the guy's name because I thought it was pretty ballsy of him to get nekkid and dance like that.  

My only nitpick is that I could have done without Melissa McCarthy at the high school reunion.   I'm tired of her.

Best line of the movie was when Dwayne called Kevin a "snack-sized Denzel." 

Oh, and I loved  Aaron Paul as the bad guy who got to say "yeah Bitch!" as a call back to Breaking Bad.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

He said in an interview that his face was superimposed on an actual fat guy who dances and puts it up on Youtube.  Now I need to find out the guy's name because I thought it was pretty ballsy of him to get nekkid and dance like that.

His name is Sione Kelepi, he was in Meghan Trainor's "All About That Bass" video, and his Youtube channel is at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3pbfSugTwT6ns6o5EaWXog

• Love 1

I enjoyed the movie, as did my kids.  Very funny. 

I didn't recognize Melissa McCarthy. 

My favorite was when he called Kevin a "black will smith". 

I don't think Aaron Paul will ever be able to do a movie or role without somewhere saying the word "Bitch". 

I will say I knew right away his partner would turn out to be the bad guy.  But its not a movie you watch for the great plot twists. 

• Love 1

Too cute. Hart as the straight man was a nice move. They need to seriously consider doing a CI/Spy movie crossover with Bob Stone teaming up with Susan Cooper while Rick Ford seethes with jealousy - that he wasn't assigned to Bob. 

Bob could think he's in love with Susan because she looks so much like his late wife Darla - who tragically drowned in a synchronized swimming accident.

The blooper reel of Duane wiggling his pecs for Melissa and her reaction were just too cute. Her giggle when he wiggled just one on command was great.

• Love 6

I was surprised at how touching I found this. While it's not going to set the world on fire, I thought it was a charming and sweet story, and that Dwayne Johnson's character Bob was a genuinely unique and lovable guy. I also thought it was really smart for the filmmakers to have Hart play the straight man to the Rock's constant zany, lovable antics. As a huge fan of Amy Ryan's, it's always good to see her, so I also got a kick out of her role as the scary CIA leader.

Also, while I do find 16 Candles problematic these days for several of its story choices (racism, sexism, and the deeply unfunny nonconsensual prom-queen subplot with Jake and Farmer Ted), I do get why Bob loved it and was obsessed with the idea of the geeky outsider finally getting picked and appreciated by the popular kid. It was that much more adorable, therefore, to me, that the iconic "Yeah, you" hero-by-the-red-truck moment wasn't romantic, but bromantic

I still think the movies don't quite know how to utilize Johnson -- beyond his ridiculous handsomeness, he's really capable of so much more than he's been given onscreen so far (for me, the closest success would be the wonderful, underrated Rundown). I just think he's got serious chops and charm, and I'd love to see what he would do in a movie with a major A-list director.

But it seems also like it's as much about choice as anything else -- Johnson seems content to continue to do a series of blockbusters and sequels, so maybe that's just what he has the most fun doing.

Meanwhile, this was a silly, sweet little movie that got me more than expected, simply because I was horribly bullied as a kid, and the story was sweet and satisfying. I also loved the cameo by Melissa McCarthy, which was (again) really charming.

Edited by paramitch
  • Love 1