Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Interior Illusions Lounge

• Start Topic

I'm new to the show and not really sure where to pose this question, so please bear with me y'all. Would someone mind clarifying "tucking" for me? I tried looking it up online and found a few tutorials, so I get the mechanics, but I don't understand how some Queens (Trinity and Nina Bonina from S8 come to mind) can wear only a thong and teeny tiny patch covering the front and yet nothing shows. I've also seen some girls spread their legs during lip syncs while wearing butt floss, and it's like a Ken Doll - not even a bulge or bump. Can someone explain how they're able to achieve such a smooth and seamless surface down there?
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm watching an episode now and can't stop thinking about it!

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Sugar said:

I'm new to the show and not really sure where to pose this question, so please bear with me y'all. Would someone mind clarifying "tucking" for me? I tried looking it up online and found a few tutorials, so I get the mechanics, but I don't understand how some Queens (Trinity and Nina Bonina from S8 come to mind) can wear only a thong and teeny tiny patch covering the front and yet nothing shows. I've also seen some girls spread their legs during lip syncs while wearing butt floss, and it's like a Ken Doll - not even a bulge or bump. Can someone explain how they're able to achieve such a smooth and seamless surface down there?
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I'm watching an episode now and can't stop thinking about it!

I'm hardly an expert, but one trick drag queens use to smooth out the appearance of padding and muscles is wear multiple pairs of thick tights. There are some queens who perform with no tights, but I think they usually just walk around and don't do anything particularly acrobatic.

20 hours ago, Sugar said:

I imagine they just aren’t blessed as men so the duct tape hides everything. 

• Love 1
On 3/15/2018 at 9:55 PM, Schnickelfritz said:

Set the CC to English.

tried that, it was so out of synch I couldn't follow. hopefully WOW will bring it to youtube at some point.

so far loving annee maywong, natalia, jaja, b ella, and amadiva.  dearis cracks me up even without knowing what she's talking about.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, buttercupia said:
On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 8:55 PM, Schnickelfritz said:

Set the CC to English.

tried that, it was so out of synch I couldn't follow. hopefully WOW will bring it to youtube at some point.

Sorry it didn't work for you! I'm loving the series so much. They really need to bring it to youtube or Logo (not that I have Logo anymore, but people need to see the greatness that is this show).

• Love 1

Yeah, I am confused by the lack of recaps. Wasn't there a crowd-funding campaign for PTV where one of the primary promises was the return of the Epic Recaps, and one of the shows specified was RPDR?

• Love 2

Can't blame Mark for putting the full-time job first.  However, anybody that contributed to the crowd funding solely because of the promised RPDR recaps would have a right to be a bit ticked that PTV didn't arrange for somebody else to pick up the job.  I know there have to be other staffers that are fans of the show, right?

• Love 5

I went to a Drag Race show on Saturday. It was the battle of the 10s across the board or something, and it was hosted by Bianca del Rio. And it was AMAZING! Obviously, it being pride weekend, the energy was high and the theater was packed! Bianca is totally a force of nature. She is super offensive in her comedy. no lie. Racist jokes, fat jokes. shade on other queens, but just like they noted on her season, she drags herself too, and so it keeps everything just on the edge of acceptable. She really tore into the "inner saboteur" challenge, which honestly felt well deserved, and went on to drag Ru himself in a way that suggested Bianca was team Vixen, but at the very least, Bianca tore into the whole Oprah-esque "GuRu" thing that Ru really seemed to lean into this season. And after watching the reunion special, I'm kinda feeling Bianca on that one.

A couple friends of mine were in the front row and got picked on by Bianca a bit, so their night was made. She made the dude friend put her earring back in at one point, which was funny. There was also a lip sync contest to "Sissy That Walk." BIanca called up two dudes and two gals, one of whom was decked out in a green dress with a rainbow beret and rainbow corset. She was on the heavy side and the beret did give her an unfortunate resemblance to Sam Kinnison -- which Bianca noted before dubbing her "Skittles" -- but she was an eager contestant. Bianca also made fun of the other girl's shoes, and I loved those shoes (glittery booties), so alas. The two dudes barely got going into the song before Bianca cut them off. Glitter Booties did tear up the stage a bit, and got wild applause. Then Bianca summoned Skittles and advised her to start with her back to the audience and do a reveal. Skittles brought down the damn house including a reveal of throwing off her corset. When she got done, she seemed a little overwhelmed and ran off the stage briefly, but then she came back and accepted her win to much cheering. And it turned out it was her birthday!

The performances were billed as the season 10 finalists, and they were Kameron, Asia, and Aquaria. No Eureka, and I'm not entirely sure why. Kameron got more applause than I was expecting, but Asia and Aquaria got more than her. Kameron was fine. She did a couple mashup melodies, each one around a specific theme and mixing in spoken word, and male lip syncs as well as the traditional female syncs. They were solid, she was high energy and would occasionally run out into the crowd, but her moves got a little repetitive. 

Asia TORE IT UP in a routine to her new single (with a voice cameo by LATRIIIIIICE). It was very afro-centric with giant drums and kente cloth costumes and the opening of Black Panther as a music video. I was into it. But her second number was the highest drag of the night. It was a Whitney Houston impersonation to "The Greatest Love of All," and Asia NAILED. IT. I'm so bummed she backed off doing Whitney for the Snatch Game because wow. I never got to see Whitney perform in person, but I feel like I have. And she did work in references to Whitney doing coke, but they were in such a tasteful way that if you didn't know Whitney's history, you wouldn't think much of it. It was fantastic, and I love Asia even more now.

However, I have to say, Aquaria is just a goddamn star. Seeing her live, it's clear she has a real star quality. She's got the "it" factor. I don't know what it is, and maybe she was shrewd to play up her New York background to a New York crowd, but both her numbers killed. The first one was her in her red dress from the "American" performance on the show and she did a classic Broadway/Cabaret-esque lip sync to "Start Spreading the News." And it was so good. So, so good. Spontaneous standing ovation good. The only other standing ovation was for Skittles, just to put it into perspective (well, and final curtain call, but you know what I mean). Her next number was a mashup of several singers, especially Madonna and Gaga, I think, and it was another homage to New York, only it was from the contemporary perspective. This one had more advanced choreography, and her costume was a yellow version of the outfit she wore as "Good Aquaria" in the inner saboteur challenge. 

Then all three came out to perform their verses from "American," and they were just as good as on the show, won't lie. Asia's verse always gives me chills, and Kameron's verse makes her sound like a powerful girl I want to know (coff). Aquaria's is so light in comparison, but a New York crowd loves a New York shout-out. 

The show doesn't necessarily capture what makes Aquaria so special, I think. I came away thinking Kameron is a solid performer, can be a successful bar queen, has some ideas that maybe can be expanded into something interesting someday. Asia is the epitome of high drag and polish, and her personality on the show is so great, and how she talks to Ru as a colleague more than a mentor/mentee relationship does elevate her status in my eyes.

But Aquaria is the real deal as far as being a star performer. She's got crossover appeal. Saturday night proved she's the future of drag in the sense that she could transcend the drag audience and circuit. I'm still rooting for Asia to win (but she can't, not after talking back to Ru), but if Aquaria wins it, I will be totally fine with it. I haven't been that blown away by a performance since Sasha in the season 9 finale. 

That was my night! It was terrific! I can't wait for the next one!

• Love 4
(edited)

@Rai, thanks for sharing, sounds like an awesome show! I'm hoping to go see Miz Cracker and Monet X Change hosting War on the Catwalk, they're coming to my area in September.

Edited by Gothish520
  • Love 1

My office manager had to explain what it means to "spill the T," and it was pretty hilarious. He and I agree that Paris is Burning should be a mandatory movie night here or something.

So I didn't know where this was appropriate so I'm sticking it here in the forums' version but it was a super fun weekend up here in West Michigan as Penny Tration won a local bar Pageant, which was just interesting to me.  Congratulations Miss Dunes Resort 2019!

I don't want spoilers, so I am staying out of the designated thread. Crave TV is starting Rupaul Down Under on Saturday. Is it worthwhile to watch in general. 

Don't spoil the ending please.

Keep in mind, I loved most seasons of Drag Race.

• Love 1