Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Interior Illusions Lounge

• Start Topic

Just saw the first showing of the "Christmas Queens" Tour... the bill was originally Willam as host, Alaska, Jinkx, Katya, Ginger Minj and Sharon Needles.  

Unfortunately Willam is still having some issues from back surgery and wasn't able to make it, so Jinkx took over hosting, and we got Jiggly Caliente.... in what world is a Jiggly a fair trade for a Willam, I'll never know, but, that crushing disappointment aside... the show was awesome.

Jinkx is a wonderful MC.. Crass and crude at times, sometimes tossing out some highbrow jokes that may have missed a majority of the audience.. but a great enter-taint-er... and songstress as we all know.

Alaska brought her specific niche and was a lot of fun

Katya was close to the least vocally talented, but she was still the clear audience favorite.

Ginger was a surprise... having lost 50 pounds, and bought a brand new corset, she was looking super glam... add that to her impressive vocal skills... I was very impressed.. it was a bit mitigated by her still very prevalent bitterness about the end of her season 

then there was Jiggly.  I understand she was called in last minute to fill the bill... but damn... there's a reason she left the season before Willam did... not equitable.

If this show comes near you, it's totally worth it.  Do it.

ETA: I drove ~3 hours to see this show, one-way... had to make the ~3 hour drive home after and still be up for work at 8 ... and given that, I would do it again, because this was a great show.

Edited by TheLukeP
  • Love 3

The puppy monkey baby commercial played before the S8 meet the queens videos is the creepiest thing I've ever seen.  I'm not sure I actually processed any of the queen videos because of the trauma.

• Love 1

I think the Raja/Violet thing is a 'one off'  they did the same thing last year with Alaska and Bianca commenting on the first episode, but didn't keep it going, which gave me a big case of the sads.

• Love 1

Oops, sorry, just realized I didn't word my original post well.  I meant they were recapping this episode and giving their impressions of the new queens, how they think they'll do in the season, etc, not that they would recap every episode.

Sorry for the confusion!

I've never been to a live drag show. Anyone think that the packages :D for BOTS are worth it as compared to general admission seating? I assume they include meet-n-greets and such, but sometmes ts not always great meetng the queen you love f you know what mean :)

Currently there are VIP packages and Shantay You Stay Packages, and they're priced substantially higher than general seating, but I don't know if it's worth it, if the queens will be all tired etc. I've had a very brief   conversation with one of the most popular queens before (who used to be my favorite) and I left not really liking them anymore-I still enjoy  their work ,but it's always in the back of my  mind.

Does the higher price justify the perks of the packages? I apologize for the horrible writing contained in this post. My computer has some kind of lag malfunction that I  can't fix, and this is time-sensitive.

Edited by Granimal
  • Love 1

My kids and I have been watching a lot of Match Game reruns and I started wondering which queens (current or previous seasons) would do the best portrayals of the iconic female celebrities on Match Game: Brett Somers, Betty White, Fannie Flagg, Marcia Wallace, Patti Deutsch, Debralee Scott, Joyce Bulifant.

Here's who I came up with:

Chi Chi (S8) as Fannie Flagg

Pandora Boxx (S2) as Patti Deutsch

Bianca (S6) as Brett Somers

Bob the Drag Queen (S8) as Betty White

I've never been to a live drag show. Anyone think that the packages :D for BOTS are worth it as compared to general admission seating? I assume they include meet-n-greets and such, but sometmes ts not always great meetng the queen you love f you know what mean :)

Currently there are VIP packages and Shantay You Stay Packages, and they're priced substantially higher than general seating, but I don't know if it's worth it, if the queens will be all tired etc. I've had a very brief   conversation with one of the most popular queens before (who used to be my favorite) and I left not really liking them anymore-I still enjoy  their work ,but it's always in the back of my  mind.

Does the higher price justify the perks of the packages? I apologize for the horrible writing contained in this post. My computer has some kind of lag malfunction that I  can't fix, and this is time-sensitive.

I've never been to a BOTS show either but from everything I've heard from fans is if you can afford it it's totally worth it. A lot of the queens are really nice and unless they are having an off day they are usually very appreciative of their fans. Sorry you had a bad experience with one of your favs.....if you don't mind spilling the T on who it was......:)

• Love 1

BOTS is worth it if you're a mega-fan of a particular performer. I was rather spoiled because when I went it was a pretty stacked bill (Willam, Detox, Sharon, Alaska, Manila, Pandora and Michelle). If you're in a major city you can always wait for another show if you have a particular favorite queen who isn't in the BOTS cast. I live in Minneapolis and, while it's certainly not WeHo, major queens get booked here often.

I skipped the meet and greet but when I went to BOTS, they held it before the show so the queens should definitely be "on" and not tired. Willam also graciously took pictures after the show when he didn't need to.

If you're a fan of Bianca, I highly recommend seeing "Rolodex of Hate" even if it's more expensive.

Edited by JakeyJokes
  • Love 1

If any of y'all are on twitter or hooked up with any queens who are, we could get more visibility in for #wearenotthis.

(NC passed a sweeping anti-LGBT bill in 12 hours yesterday.) 

I'm in NC and the bill is pretty much bullshit but I don't know if getting the queens on board with speaking out against it would help or not. I had an argument with my mom earlier about it, and even though she doesn't live in NC, and even though I'm out to her, she supports the "bathroom police" part of the bill and therefore the whole bill because she doesn't view transwomen as "real women." Involving drag queens, who mostly do identify as cis men (and therefore also don't want to use the women's restroom) might complicate that further for people who feel the same way. There's more to the bill than that, but it's this idea that allowing "men" (ie, transwomen who are not men except in chromosomes) in with women that is letting them get away with the evil contained in that bill.

• Love 4

Your points are well made. I posted that at a time before the big corporations were on board (except RedHat) and I was fuming mad. (BiL is a trans man and we're in NC.) But this group tends to be my only window into the LGBT masses. And what you say would explain why I didn't see much activity about it from that sector on Twitter.

Hear they shut down the street in front of McCrory's mansion last night.

• Love 2

A quick search didn't turn up a list of what companies are already saying they'll boycott NC, but I know the Walking Dead films there and they'll go somewhere else to film. Other big entertainment companies are also joining the boycott, and many other businesses as well. So that's good. This is going to cost them a lot of money, starting now.

• Love 2

Your points are well made. I posted that at a time before the big corporations were on board (except RedHat) and I was fuming mad. (BiL is a trans man and we're in NC.) But this group tends to be my only window into the LGBT masses. And what you say would explain why I didn't see much activity about it from that sector on Twitter.

IMO, transmen are probably going to be the biggest force in pointing out the ridiculousness of this, since my mom didn't want to listen to me talk about transmen, but when she saw a segment on the news about masculine men with beards who would be forced to use the women's room, she reconsidered her point in arguing against me and now has done a 180 on it.

Ironically, this whole thing might result in more visibility for transmen.

• Love 5

Locas!  I had the pleasure of seeing Peaches Christ and her production of "The Witches of East Village" last night, which co-starred the hilarious Miss Coco Peru and the one and only Chad Michaels!  Oh, how I'd love to see Peaches on Drag Race.  She's got that old-school Divine style going on.  It was fabulous.  There were shout-outs to Chad winning All-Stars throughout, and I finally got to see his Cher in full action.  I've never actually watched his Cher lip syncs before, but damn!

Miss Coco Peru (who I'd also enjoy seeing on Drag Race) didn't do a lip sync -- she actually sang!  She sang "Here Comes the Rain Again," and kept mixing in lines from Rocky Horror for some reason.  I've been deeply curious about the drag community's current relationship with Rocky Horror, so this was kind of fun to see.

The romantic interest was played by a guy who approached it as "what if Jack Nicholson and Isaac Mizrahi were smushed together into one weirdo?"  It worked quite nicely, actually.

I wish Peaches Christ had done a lip sync to something other than the opening number with Coco and Chad.  Does anyone know if she doesn't normally lip sync?  I was curious about that.

Two things that really put the icing on the cupcake for me:  my friend had gotten free tickets, but naturally, that meant we were up in the nosebleeds -- until the usher came and asked if we'd like to move down front.  He didn't have to ask twice.  What incredible seats, with the performers often passing and sitting right in front of me.

And!  Miss Thorgy Thor was there too!  I waffled so much about whether or not to go say hi that I missed my chance, but it was fun to spot her there, out of drag, all the same!

Excellent night.  Would totally go again.  San Francisco, you are lucky bitches!

• Love 3

Forgot to mention, there was a joke about the Devil character having "Female trouble," and I think I was the only one who laughed.  What kind of drag audience misses a John Waters reference?

• Love 2

Went to the Divas of Drag tour in my city last night. Wanted to give you guys a recap! The lineup is different in each city so I hope some of you guys go and tell us how it was for you!

It's definitely a good show. It runs a bit too long. Mimi Imfurst is the emcee and she talks TOO much. Quicker transitions would help the show immensely and honestly Mimi is a bit of a windbag. Most of the show is lip sync. Some of it was live singing (my least favorite thing from queens.) The other queens did very little speaking on stage.

I bought a VIP package so I could attend an hour-long meet and greet before the show. That was supposed to start at 7, but they didn't let us in until 7:10 and the queens didn't start coming out until 7:20 - this was ANNOYING as we all paid an embarrassing amount for that hour and we didn't wind up getting what we paid for. Everyone didn't come out at once, so some were only out at the meet and greet for 30 minutes. Eventually there were queues to see some of the girls. You were allowed to take as many pics as you wanted.

Individuals:

Milk: I met Milk first, and she was wonderful. So sweet and personable. SO tall in giant heels. She was really so nice. Her performances were great. She did a number with Latrice and Alyssa that was a medly of stuff and she was hysterical in it, and then for a solo number she did Katy Perry's Firework except she had it edited so that the lyrics to the whole song were "Do you ever feel like a plastic bag, plastic bag, plastic bag. Baby you're a plastic bag, etc." She wore 3 costumes all made of plastic bags. This performance was genius, and she has a great stage presence. 

Latrice: Latrice was the whole reason I went - I freaking love her. I was so worried she would disappoint and she did NOT! She is a laugh riot, personable, fun and kind. We had a quick, lovely conversation and took some pics. She looks wonderful. She was not happy with our first selfie and said "Baby we have GOT to find our light." Her performances were awesome. She did the combo number with Milk, which was great, and did a solo gospel number that BROUGHT THE HOUSE DOWN. She also chatted a bit which was wonderful because I just love hearing her! Latrice was hands down the best lipsyncer of the night - she did not miss a word of anything. Some of the queens just moved their mouths around to mask not knowing words, but Latrice was ON THE MONEY. 

Alyssa Edwards: What a disappointment. She didn't come out to the meet and greet and SO many of us were bummed about that. No reason was given. She did the opening number with Milk and Latrice and was great in that, but her solo number was done from the middle of the room so unless you were right there at her you could literally not see a thing. And it was some mashup of songs I didn't know. She does not travel on the bus with the rest of the talent (thank you Milk, for that tea.) She didn't do a second solo number that I know of - I did leave before the end - and I can tell you that the audience was buzzing about the lack of Alyssa content the whole time. I had friends who left very early once it became clear that we were just not going to be getting a lot of Alyssa. It's a shame. 

Yara Sofia: She is mesmerizing on stage - and she has a BODY on her. She did 2 solo numbers (both medley type things with several songs spliced in) and both were wonderful. She was sort of standoffish during the meet and greet, which made me nervous to speak to her, but once I finally did I sort of got the feeling she was a combination of shy and overwhelmed. She is a really great performer.

Kennedy Davenport: First number was "Last Dance," in which she does all sorts of gymnastics and kicks. She is talented. Second number was a slower torch type song and it was awful - dull. She does not have a ton of stage presence. But the kicker for Kennedy is that was a mega bitch at the meet and greet. She did not have a lot of people waiting to see her and I think it pissed her off. She spoke so curtly and dismissively to the guys in front of me that I left her line - no thanks. She had a bitch face on the whole meet and greet. Really unapproachable. Don't know what was going on, and I hope it was an anomaly, but between lackluster performances and the meet and greet attitude, no thanks Kennedy.

Jujubee: I loved her on her season, so I was excited to meet her. She was okay on stage. Her padding game has improved and in one number in a cheetah print catsuit her body was to die for. She did Emotions (Mariah Carey) and was pretty good at that one. She was super nice at the meet and greet and was hugging everyone. 

Mimi Imfurst: She was also emceeing and asking everyone to send her dick pics on Grindr the whole time, etc. It got a little old. She was way too talky. She did 2 numbers - one a lipsync mashup with various telephone based songs interspersed with spoken words stuff. One was live singing Sweet Transvestite. Both were fine, but honestly she was on stage SO much with all of the talking that you were kind of over her at that point. At the meet and greet she was CHECKED OUT. This is her event (she and Latrice put it together) and so you'd think she'd be schmoozing the room but she honestly seemed tranquilized. She sort of wandered around. I asked for a pic and she obliged but an attempt at chatting with her was met with a blank stare. 

Acid Betty: I was honestly meh about seeing Betty but she had no line in the beginning of the meet and greet so I went to chat with her, and she was charming. She was carrying a 3 foot long clutch purse for the meet and greet which was funny. We talked about how she thought she had let people down by being eliminated so early, etc., and seemed genuinely upset and talked to me for forever asking my opinion about things this season. I am a frumpy middle aged suburban housewife - and I was shocked she was so interested in what I had to say. I honestly loved talking with her and am now a fan for life. She did 2 numbers - the first Bouncer - and she played with the front row bouncers which was hysterical. She was very funny without saying a word. The second she live sang an original Fantasy, and she's not the best singer but she's so magnetic on stage you don't even care. She was wearing a dress she lets people in the audience graffiti as she's singing which was so interesting. I would go see Acid Betty again in a heartbeat. 

Vicky Vox - Not an alum but a great lipsyncer. She was a total pro at meet and greet - she knew people were not necessarily there to see her so she mixed and mingled and would come up to people standing around and chat them up, etc. I enjoyed talking with her. I only caught one of her numbers because by 11:45 I was exhausted but she was great and was also really on point with the lipsync.

Trixie Mattel - by far, she was the queen people were there to see, which I had no idea about. Her line at the meet and greet was so long the whole time - I barely squeaked in a chance to see her. Her makeup up close is fascinating. She was really professional and had tons of great merch for sale (something some other queen could learn from - I didn't spend a dime on merch but would have if there had been more interesting, better produced stuff.) She was really kind with people and indulged her superfans (of which there were many) and was super sweet to me as well. She said the tour bus should be its own reality show - and I imagine that's true. She did a 9-to-5/Working Girl kind of mashup that was hysterical and then did a song with a Michelle Visage puppet that was GREAT and a big hit with the crowd.

Stacey Layne Matthews - She was nice in person at the meet and greet, but had little personality. Still wearing mall drag. Her performances were the worst of the night - a torch song lipsync number, and then live singing an India Arie song. She has a decent voice but kept apologizing for it mid-song which was offputting. She has very little stage presence and does not move around much at all, so it's kind of a snooze to watch. 

That's all! It was worth the money I spent for tickets - and it was pretty well done. My tip would be NOT to spend the extra $50 for meet and greet tickets - several times during the evening we were told that ALL of the queens (including Alyssa) were going to to be at the official afterparty at a local club and would be meeting there. So I could have met them for a $10 cover! Oh well. I couldn't possibly make it to the afterparty because it was already midnight when I got home and I had kids to get to school at 7a! Too old for those shenanigans! I hope some of you catch the Divas of Drag your cities and provide your reviews. Watch for groupon tickets - you could have gotten $20 tickets for our stop a few days before the date - and that would have been a great bargain.

• Love 8

Thanks for the T, goodbyeglittergirl. Divas isn't scheduled in my town yet but I have tickets to BOTS here in June, and I can't wait.  I passed on the Meet n Greet part though because the tickets for that were 6x the cost of the show tix! 

Great T! Thanks! I would love to see Emotions and the Trixie number.

Trying to meet a queen at a bar isn't super fun, IMO. People are drunk and loud. I could have met Bianca as Roy at an aftershow but I had just been dumped a week before and didn't want to talk to anybody! (I met Trixie as Brian after S7 filmed but before it aired, at a divey gay bar in Milwaukee. Very much a sweetheart)

Gah so much T, thank you!

I am kinda surprised by the long lines for Trixie.  I get she was popular during her season but I thought AB would have been mobbed with people seeing how its her season airing and she had just been eliminated, etc. etc.  But I'm glad you had a pleasant experience with her.

(edited)

So, ah, I wrote a book. While it does contain a drag queen, it is primarily 'paranormal suspense'. 

*scurries off*

(ETA: Free promo has ended, but if you're a thread regular feel free to PM me.)

Edited by kieyra
  • Love 5

YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!  So the only format I see to get it is download onto a Kindle.  Are there old fashioned books available?

Haha, thanks. :) I was waiting to see if it catches on before I set up a print run, by which I mean I'm lazy. :) 

• Love 2

A friend and I have second-row seats to the upcoming BOTS show in my town next month. I've only been to one other show, the ABCD / season six show in DC (not where I live) at the end of season six, and it was FANTASTIC. This upcoming show is admittedly S7-heavy, but we do get Alaska and some others. Pretty excited. I loved the DC show but I was also sitting right in front of the guy at the DC club (can't remember the name of club) who does sign language throughout the shows, and he was blocking a lot of my view. >.>

• Love 3
(edited)

I've never been to a BOTS show either but from everything I've heard from fans is if you can afford it it's totally worth it. A lot of the queens are really nice and unless they are having an off day they are usually very appreciative of their fans. Sorry you had a bad experience with one of your favs.....if you don't mind spilling the T on who it was......:)

Since we're all friends here and I don't mind a little spilled T, it seems I caught Willam on a bad day. Which sucks as I've heard he can be great to fans at times. Maybe it was just me. Still love his music, still watch The Beatdown, still think his look is always on point. The love has died a little bit. He wasn't a complete jerk to me or anything, more just couldn't be bothered with me. (Still agree Jiggly is no fair trade for Willam!)

I didn't realize different cities get different queens for BOTS. Since I'm mainly in it for Alaska and a few others- who all seem pretty busy, I'm rethinking going at all. Plus my nearest port was in the state of shame- don't know if that will have any bearings on the tour.

PS- OT, but kieyra that book is a real page-turner. Couldn't get enough.

Edited by Granimal
  • Love 2

Here's a link to the Milk/Latrice/Alyssa opening number from last night's show!

Latrice Royale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latrice: Latrice was the whole reason I went - I freaking love her. I was so worried she would disappoint and she did NOT! She is a laugh riot, personable, fun and kind. We had a quick, lovely conversation and took some pics. She looks wonderful. She was not happy with our first selfie and said "Baby we have GOT to find our light." Her performances were awesome. She did the combo number with Milk, which was great, and did a solo gospel number that BROUGHT THE HOUSE DOWN. She also chatted a bit which was wonderful because I just love hearing her! Latrice was hands down the best lipsyncer of the night - she did not miss a word of anything. Some of the queens just moved their mouths around to mask not knowing words, but Latrice was ON THE MONEY. 

Latrice Royale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I'm so freaking jealous!  She sounds amazing.  I'm so glad you had such a wonderful experience with her.  She is the queen of my heart!

Is anyone going to watch Gay for Play after RPDR tonight?  I will simply to see Katya and future episodes have Latrice in it so as long as past contestants are there then so will I.

I have it on the Season Pass list and hope that it will meet my expectations. :-) Might not stay up tonight but I will definitely watch it tomorrow. My family adores Match Game and there's a good chance that Gay for Play might be the best modern approximation of the sensibilities and atmosphere of MG.

• Love 1

Is anyone going to watch Gay for Play after RPDR tonight?  I will simply to see Katya and future episodes have Latrice in it so as long as past contestants are there then so will I.

whats that you say....Latrice Royale?  Why yes, I do believe I'll be watching for the queen of my heart...Latrice!

• Love 1

I can't find a thread for Gay for Play so I guess we just discuss it here until one appears. 

I saw both episodes, enh it's ok.  Not LOL funny but still entertaining enough.  Oddly Carson was the best part of the show; I thought his jokes were the best ones of the group.  Manila Luzon and Katya were the queens on each episode I saw.  Enh they were ok but nothing memorable. 

I can't find a thread for Gay for Play so I guess we just discuss it here until one appears. 

I think someone has to request a forum for it before it appears.

RPDR:BotS - Seattle

SPOILERS

First, let me say that I'm a middle-aged fatty with bad knees and hot flashes. Seattle is undergoing an unprecedented April heatwave, and the theater having no air-conditioning did not help. Between standing for > 4 hours on concrete and the temperature, I was almost ready to drop.

But I'm glad I didn't.

First some Pearl shade. I eavesdropped on the guys behind us in line because they were entertaining and taking my mind off the heat. One of them brought up the fact that Pearl was DJing the pre-show, and the other guy said, "Yeah, well since it's Pearl, she's probably just going to push 'play' and stand there looking pretty." I neared gagged because that's almost exactly what Pearl did do. About every 10 minutes, she be slightly animated (and the crowd would go wild), but then she went back to just standing. It was like watching a cuckoo clock bird pop out once in a while.

The intro bit was Little Mermaid themed, and Michelle was the sea witch. Totally loved that.

We had (probably not in order):

Michelle: welcomed the children in the audience and then proceeded to swear like a sailor and told the kiddies to ask their parents what tea-bagging was on the way home. Very funny bit.

- Adore: gave great performances but still needs to elevate her look, IMO

- Phi Phi: was really great - I didn't have much opinion of her during her season, but I loved her here

- Ginger: lip sync was merely okay to me, but she was hilarious the rest of the time (during Snatch Game, she was Michelle, and it seemed Michelle was actually a bit annoyed at some of the jokes Ginger made)

Miss Fame: she did an interesting bit where she drew (very well) a picture in front of the audience, but I still don't see much of a personality

- Alaska: nice vulgar routine. I enjoyed it.

- Violet: was Violet. She does burlesque very well (and seeing that waist in person is amazing), but I wish she were a bit livelier.

- Courtney: she looked beautiful, and I loved her glow-in-the-dark outfit.

- Jinx: she is definitely looking a bit chubbier, but she's so sweet. She and Michelle did a duet.

Snatch Game was fine. The two audience members that were contestants were the absolute worst - zero attempt at being funny or making any sense at all. Michelle gave them a WTF look several times. I really wish that the queens wouldn't do other queens on SG (because I like seeing non-drag celebrities mocked - I like queens to throw shade at each other in different ways), but Alaska was Lady Bunny, and she was good. Courtney did some religious lady from NC that I did not know, but she did a nice job with the character and trashed the stupidity that is NC. Adore did Robbie and made a lot of jokes about wig lines and making excuses (Adore, you do know you're trashing Seattle queen Robbie IN Seattle - not that Robbie didn't deserve the read), and as mentioned Ginger did Michelle (with some completely hilarious accent and repeated mentions that Michelle was riding Ru's coat-tails).

The did a little runway bit where Violet wore my very favorite outfit (the plaid convertible pajama thing), and Courtney wore the wings (which were cool).

One thing that amused me in line waiting for the doors to open: there were several women that were middle-aged and had dragged (no pun intended) their husbands. These guys were clinging to their wives hands/arms/waists like they were worried someone was going to hit on them and they needed to advertise they were hetero. Yes, I am also a middle-aged woman who introduced her husband to drag, but my husband has really gotten into it (he's going to let me dress him, and he's going to be beautiful - seriously the boy has the longest lashes and the biggest green eyes).

• Love 2
Courtney did some religious lady from NC that I did not know, but she did a nice job with the character and trashed the stupidity that is NC.

I'm in North Carolina, and while there are a lot of moronic bigots here--the worst of all being our Governor and General Assembly--believe me,a lot of us here are against that unconstitutional bill. However, I can't image who Courtney would be doing. She must be doing some generic religious nut.

That said, I'm really worried because I have tickets to see RPDR:BotS in May. The show is actually booked into one of the biggest performing arts center in the state (in a very LGBTQ-friendly city, I might add). But considering all the cancellations here lately, I wonder if I should just go ahead and make other plans for that night. 

On a positive note, this past Saturday I did get to see Alaska in NYC doing Cher and Cher Alike with Handsome Jeremy. My love for Alaska has just grown even more. She's stunning in real life and her singing was amazing. She's my queen for life.

Edited by ABitOFluff
  • Love 1