Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E05: Week 4

• Start Topic

Has it been confirmed that Robby has always been a 'man'? His high pitched vocal fry is worse than JoJo's. His facial expressions are very feminine. He repulses me. I think Jordan is heinous. I finally figured out which one was Chase. I looked into his eyes- literally nothing there- ala Keanu Reeves. Either stoned or dumb as a box of rocks. JoJo is bored to tears by anyone who isn't Jordan and does a piss poor job of hiding it. Next!

• Love 4
(edited)

Wells is hot, hot, hot.  I don't care how skinny he looks.  And it's funny, I was never one of those people who were attracted to skinny guys.  But to me he looks like Dan Humphrey or Orlando Bloom and I think I'm more attracted to Wells.  I'm more attracted to Wells than anybody on the show.  Now that Grant the firefighter is gone :(  And honestly the Canadian was weird but I thought he was very attractive and his exit speech was HILARIOUS.

(Whining)  "So apparently Jojo only wants to pick guys based on personality?  It's definitely not looks, because if so I would still be here.  It's definitely not bodies, because Wells is still here."  HAHAHAHAHAHA.  I've never heard that before.  A person who thinks they're goodlooking whining that people choose their mate based on personality.  HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

I HATE Alex.  But I disliked him from when he started fixating on Chad and now I just full on hate him.

Evan looked so DEPRESSED all the time and he still wanted money for a new shirt.  Buddy, how does the ED gig not pay you enough?

Robby is kind of like Will Arnett and I was so attracted to him, until he went completely crazy and declared his love for Jojo and jumped off a cliff.  Boy has major issues.  I won't speculate further because I don't want to be rude.

I thought Jojo would be this wild and sexy Bachelorette and we were all so excited. But instead, it's really lame.  She's just obsessed with the guy who wears women's jeans.  Boring. Boring Boring.

Chase and Vinny looked like each other.  I called Vinny "Italian Chase".  And Jordan and Robby kind of look like each other, they both have the whip cream dollop of hair.  So all four of them caused a lot of confusion for people.  I get it.   And Alex is the miniature version of Derek!

The previews made it seem like Grant went so far in the show.  Unless he returns, those previews liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiied and she kicked out the only man of colour and the only Italian guy to my knowledge.  And even the only foreigner, the Canadian, who brought me the hilarity.  Wow!  When Wells is gone, it's just gonna be a fucking factory that makes the exact same fucking guy.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 12

How about that?  Even jerry-rigged barber shops in Uruguay have shitty magazines.

Something tells me that Robby has a "pray away the gay" story in his background.  

Alex?  The only one to get a "pity rose" this season, as far as I can tell, has been you.  And that's solely because you were on a three-on-one date with assault and battery.

Evan looked so DEPRESSED all the time and he still wanted money for a new shirt.  Buddy, how does the ED gig not pay you enough?

Well, you know.  That market is kind of up-and-down.  Thanks folks.  I'm here all week.  Remember to tip your waitresses.

• Love 19
(edited)

I thought I saw this in previous weeks, but does Evan's tattoo on his arm say "Alpha Dad"?  If so, he's an even bigger tool than I originally thought, and considering the amount of bracelets he wears on an everyday basis, I thought he was a HUGE tool.

Daniel just watching the Chad confrontation while eating some mac and cheese was hilarious; I'm going to miss him.  

Wells appears to find almost everything about the show to be silly and for that, he is my new favorite.  I agree with whomever mentioned that it looked like he was trying to suppress laughter when Jojo was crying about her ex.  

I also realized this episode that this entire time, I thought Derek was James and that I wasn't even aware a person named "Derek" was on the show.

Edited by Princess Sparkle
  • Love 8

Luke had a chance to show some personality right there (and there were flashes of funny), but he was so determined to stick to the script of whatever droning story he was telling that he couldn't stop and let the funny take over. That would be really exhausting for me, if someone has a speech they're adamant about making and I just want to be silly and laugh. 

I still think he's hot, but the personality is a bit of a detraction. 

I see a lot of "lighten up, Francis" in Luke.  I kind of hope he "wins", because I think he'd make an awful Bachelor.

2 hours ago, Vicky8675309 said:

. Wells is cute but kind of anemic looking (or like someone else said, part of the overworked crew). I do like how he had to smother a smile/laugh when JoJo was all upset about the magazines. Hey, if they can have magazines then can they have books? I'd spend all my down time reading since they aren't allowed tv or internet (right, they aren't allowed tv/internet?)

I swear, when I see certain expressions on Wells' face, I wonder if he's really a contestant, or if he is secretly there to do a "tell all"  story about the background machinations of the producers.    He just seems cynical to me, and like he's playing a role.   It's what I like about him.

• Love 6

Count me in on the Wells train.  He is the only one remotely interesting. And I think he is cute as hell.  Too bad I think our time with him will come to an end shortly. 

Robby is gross to me. I don't get that attraction at all. 

• Love 16
12 minutes ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I thought I saw this in previous weeks, but does Evan's tattoo on his arm say "Alpha Dad"?  If so, he's an even bigger tool than I originally thought, and considering the amount of bracelets he wears on an everyday basis, I thought he was a HUGE tool.

Dear lord, does it? Barf. I did think last night that it looked like the last word was "dad," but I couldn't make out the first word(s). I assumed it was something lame and stupid, because, you know, Evan. But "Alpha Dad" is just awful...though delightfully ironic. 

During the awkward confrontation/speech in the beginning, when Evan said something about still wanting compensation for his $7.99 shirt (despite having just dumped Chad's expensive-ass protein powder all over the backyard, ya know), did I hear Chad correctly as saying something to the effect of "How are you this broke? Don't you have dick companies?" God, I love that man. 

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

(Whining)  "So apparently Jojo only wants to pick guys based on personality?  It's definitely not looks, because if so I would still be here.  It's definitely not bodies, because Wells is still here."  HAHAHAHAHAHA.  I've never heard that before.  A person who thinks they're goodlooking whining that people choose their mate based on personality.  HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA.

That was HILARIOUS!  " I am  the hottest guy here,  obviously,  but she's choosing guys based on some trait I cannot comprehend.  what is this elusive "personality" thing, and what does it have to do with finding a spouse? "   Said the alien from another planet with the peculiar look in his eyes.

Seriously, what is the story with Daniel's eyes? 

• Love 12

I don't think I have seen JoJo talk to Wells much at all and I never saw her talk to Vinnie. Sometimes I think it must suck to be a guy who she spends zero time with but yet you are still hanging on. I don't find Wells attractive at all but its great we all have different tastes. Otherwise we would be fighting over the same people all the time (joke).  Alex is handsome but I don't like short guys and his personality is awful. My husband is 6'7 and says he has had a lot of short guys get in his face for no reason except the Napolean complex thing.

Have to admit I thought it was funny when they did the faux sprinkling of the ashes with the protein powder.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Madding crowd said:

Have to admit I thought it was funny when they did the faux sprinkling of the ashes with the protein powder.

I thought it was funny, too.  Then I speculated that it was a producer's idea, and that they had actually tried to get Chad to arrive right on time to see it.  When eliminated on a group date, a contestant is dependent on the show producers to transport them home.   They don't have the option of just "walking back"   to the other contestants. 

• Love 1

My hubby and I watched this last night.  This morning, he went to work at his corporate cafeteria where all the women watch the show, too.  Told me this morning they all thought the episode was lame.

I was left to wonder what genius thought Uruguay and 'romantic' belonged together.  As dear hubby said, that hotel was probably the nicest building in town.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

Alex is handsome but I don't like short guys and his personality is awful. My husband is 6'7 and says he has had a lot of short guys get in his face for no reason except the Napolean complex thing.

Lol, sounds more like he has a lot of short guys getting in his navel for no reason. ;) 

Alex's height is endlessly amusing in the wide shots with all the guys, especially since he likes to be smack in the middle of the group. There's a line of guys and then the horizon dips 2 feet and there's Alex. 

During the awkward confrontation/speech in the beginning, when Evan said something about still wanting compensation for his $7.99 shirt (despite having just dumped Chad's expensive-ass protein powder all over the backyard, ya know), did I hear Chad correctly as saying something to the effect of "How are you this broke? Don't you have dick companies?" God, I love that man. 

Yes, you heard correctly, lol. I miss Chad already. And Evan is pathetic. He would NEVER have asked for that if he didn't have a crowd of Chad-hating guys + tv cameras and crew behind him. Nor would he have ever even done the bear-poking comedy skit that caused the shirt damage to begin with. (NOT saying Chad had a right to touch him or wreck his shirt, but Evan made a choice to antagonize for no reason too.) 

I thought it was funny, too.  Then I speculated that it was a producer's idea, and that they had actually tried to get Chad to arrive right on time to see it.  When eliminated on a group date, a contestant is dependent on the show producers to transport them home.   They don't have the option of just "walking back"   to the other contestants. 

I haven't actually seen UnReal, but based what I've heard of it here, I'm wondering if the existence of the show has made to producers try to hide their machinations a lot less than they used to. The "4th wall" was barely there in last night's episode, we saw a producer handing JoJo the magazine, Chad was dropped off near the house to be filmed wandering back in, Vinny randomly had a stack of current American magazines in Uruguay, etc. 

Speaking of Chad's return, was there ever an explanation given as to why he was there? He didn't say anything about collecting the rest of his stuff or anything and while clearly, it was meant to go down just as it did, I would have expected the show to make something up as to why he stopped by. 

Daniel just watching the Chad confrontation while eating some mac and cheese was hilarious; I'm going to miss him.  

Lol, he was clearly trying to pretend he hadn't just participated in the Chad-cleansing ritual in the back yard. I'll miss Daniel too, definitely a weirdo but he had his moments of comedic genius. 

• Love 6

Alex's height is endlessly amusing in the wide shots with all the guys, especially since he likes to be smack in the middle of the group. There's a line of guys and then the horizon dips 2 feet and there's Alex. 

And in the "coming up this season" preview at the end, during the clip of the Final Rose Ceremony, it was pretty easy to say "welp, looks like it's not Alex.  JoJo is looking up to talk to that guy."

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Madding crowd said:

I don't think I have seen JoJo talk to Wells much at all and I never saw her talk to Vinnie. Sometimes I think it must suck to be a guy who she spends zero time with but yet you are still hanging on.

BUT -  She may have spent time with guys that we don't see, because it was boring, or because it doesn't fit the story they wanted to tell.  We  don't see most of what happens, only what the producers decide to show us.

• Love 3

Alex is such a little drama seeker. This guy loves pointing out things about other guys and blowing them up into a big issue. And if he says "[...] speaks volume about him" one more time... Evan, wow I don't even know what to say about him, I can't wait for him to go home! I am sure the three final men are going to be Robby, Jordan and Luke.

• Love 3

With all the Jim comparisons, I delighted during the nip-slip scene that Derek turned and smiled right at the camera. I would love more Jim faces!

I just noticed how cute James F is and bam he's gone

I was thinking the exact same thing until....POEM. 

Robby is not an Olympic swimmer JoJo, sorry to say. He looks like a Ken doll my sister and I had growing up.

MiniMarine contracted some kind of Zika-strain of Short Man Syndrome--he was being such an a-hole. I agreed with Derek that he was being a total Regina George but I didn't agree that Chase was in the clique.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, scribe95 said:

Also, Jordan trying to be all sexy pushing her against the wall made me laugh because she clearly wasn't ready for it and almost tripped. It didn't look hot. You are no Arie!

I always hate the guy that pushes the Bachelorette up against the dirty wall and makes out with her and now we get that every season. Last season, Nick pushed Kaitlyn up against the wall at the bar, the bus stop shelter, outside the church....I'll just stop there because I don't have all day. I don't even hate Nick actually, but I hope men don't start to think that's sexy.

I just want to put Wells in my pocket and take him to a better place. He was totally laughing when Jojo was fake crying. I think he's over it.

Alex is a small man. I don't mean his physical stature, I'm talking about his character. I'll just be the bigger person and keep it short. 

The mispronounciation of Spanish words was embarrassing as was the stiff dancing to ethnic music. "Is that a Mariachi band?" (hangs head in shame.)

I've said since the first ep that Derek is Jim from The Office to me, so I like him. But the bloom is off the rose, people. Every time I watch I keep 'fixing' him. He needs to lose 10 pounds and dye his hair a slightly lighter color. In general, Jim is just a lighter person period. He would be joking and planning pranks. Derek just broods. Also, I'm going to need him to look straight at the camera one time and give us a look like he's in on the ridiculousness.

• Love 10
35 minutes ago, lids said:

Alex is a small man. I don't mean his physical stature, I'm talking about his character. I'll just be the bigger person and keep it short. 

Alex is the walking definition of a Napoleon complex - combative, aggressive, and with an added dose of delusion.  The fact that he thinks Derek is the insecure one, when he [Alex] doesn't do anything except lash out at guys he thinks are threats, is laughable.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, TiredMe said:

Gees Alex is a bully and "mean girl". I'm starting to feel for Chad, he was railroaded. Not that I give him a pass for how he responded, because it wasn't good. But Alex is a complete toolbag. Ladies beware.

my response to Luke is strange. Sometimes it's, man he's hot. Other times it's, the complete opposite. But he does seem like a smoking hot kisser. Lol

dont go Grant! More eye candy gone. But yay Evan is gone. He needs to rid himself of that creepy hair. 

Evan? Yeah he needs to be in pantaloons with a fitted vest, quoting Shakespeare, whilst swinging a fake wooden dagger.  He should have not survived past Episode 2 at best.

• Love 6

Oy. These guys. I haven't watched a season of Bachelorette since... um... Meredith, maybe? It's been a long time. But I definitely don't remember the guys being quite so catty and whiny all the time. Ugh. Whichever one of these guys she picks, I'd have a hard time finding almost any of them still attractive after watching all this.

Except maybe Wells.

• Love 4

I would love Wells as the Bachelor and his b'ettes to be hipster chicks. He is a funny guy with a real profession and being a radio d-jay, could talk his way into being the best Bachelor ever. He most definitely is trying not to laugh during a lot of the scenes.

Alex is the opposite of the person who needs a best friend wherever he is--he needs someone to be confrontational with, and now that Chad's gone, Derek gets to take that role in his life. Alex's height has nothing to do with his obnoxiousness imo--he's just a tool.

Jordan otoh probably is stuck in "brother to a superstar" stereotype mode and is not growing on me, proving you don't have to be shorter than average to be a tool. He is such a liar. I do think Joelle might have met his former girlfriend if she was in Dallas at the same time--they probably go to the same clubs and Jo would have had some fame having been on the Bachelor while Jordan's ex's fame is based on having dated Aaron Roger's pathetic little brother. So I can buy that. 

What kind of job is competitive swimmer? Is Robby a coach for a swim team? How does he support himself being a competitive swimmer? Better than Daniel's "Canadian" job description, I guess. 

• Love 6

I haven't been in the discussion and I'm just now reading everyone's responses so forgive me but I want to ask a Chad question. Am I the only one who could totally see where Chad was coming from in all this? The only thing he did that bothered me was when he told JoJo she was being naggy or whatever it was he said. Everything else seemed like a natural reaction from a man who isn't used to being in a house with a bunch of pussy ass man-children all ganging up on him for some reason I couldn't really pinpoint. Didn't it all start with the guys making fun of him when he was working out with Daniel? I didn't think it was at all unusual for two meathead guys to want to workout so I didn't get what the problem was. And Chad seemed to get along with everyone just fine until they backed him into a corner. i do think Chad is arrogant but Jordan probably is too. He just wasn't edited to be the villain. Evan and Alex deserved to get their asses kicked by Chad and I really don't blame Chad for saying he didn't want to sing that dumb JoJo song or that he wasn't obsessed with her yet like the rest of them. They were the ones that seemed creepy with their stalker song. It was just weird. These guys were straight up picking on him, especially Evan who deserved more than just a shirt ripping. And I have no words for Alex except to say that he is a child. Chad is the only one who stated truthfully that he wanted to see where it went with JoJo and that he wasn't yet in love with her. What is wrong with that?

As far as the "violence", I think some men are more passive and some are more aggressive. My boyfriend is the more aggressive type of alpha male, built more like Wells but not afraid to throw down when necessary. He's been in fights before and he doesn't take kindly to being disrespected by other men. But with me he's very loveable and cuddly. I guess I'm just saying that I think it is male instinct to fight over females or whatever else they think is worth the effort. The other men in this house acting as if they would just never in a million years get into a fight is ridiculous and it's a lie. I'm sure all of them have lost their tempers at some point.

all that being said, I think Chad was even worse than he probably usually is because his mom died like a month prior or something? My dad died 4 years ago and I still don't feel like myself sometimes,and when he first died, I did a lot of things out of character. It may have been too soon for him to try doing a show like this. 

I'm interested in everyone's opinions but taking into consideration the fact that they could have easily edited someone else as the villain. They have a lot of footage to use after all.

Wells has been my favorite since episode one btw.

I think Derek is the one she turns down in the preview of the finale because whoever it was was very tall and tan and I thought I saw dark hair on the hand. 

• Love 11
44 minutes ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

What kind of job is competitive swimmer? Is Robby a coach for a swim team? How does he support himself being a competitive swimmer? Better than Daniel's "Canadian" job description, I guess. 

Worse, he's an 'ex-competitive swimmer'. I think the swimming got in the way of the hair do. That 'do would take a lot of fixing.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

I think Jordan is as into JoJo as Bentley was into Ashley and Brooks was into Des.  

Jordan seems super-interested in JoJo to me. Every time she says something, even to the group, his eyebrows shoot up. He sings JoJo songs with glee. And he was visibly pained the weeks she picked other guys for one-on-ones. I really doubt he's that good of an actor. He could be a shitty boyfriend after this is all over, but I don't think it will be from lack of interest.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Nowhere said:

I haven't been in the discussion and I'm just now reading everyone's responses so forgive me but I want to ask a Chad question. Am I the only one who could totally see where Chad was coming from in all this? The only thing he did that bothered me was when he told JoJo she was being naggy or whatever it was he said. Everything else seemed like a natural reaction from a man who isn't used to being in a house with a bunch of pussy ass man-children all ganging up on him for some reason I couldn't really pinpoint. Didn't it all start with the guys making fun of him when he was working out with Daniel? I didn't think it was at all unusual for two meathead guys to want to workout so I didn't get what the problem was. And Chad seemed to get along with everyone just fine until they backed him into a corner. i do think Chad is arrogant but Jordan probably is too. He just wasn't edited to be the villain. Evan and Alex deserved to get their asses kicked by Chad and I really don't blame Chad for saying he didn't want to sing that dumb JoJo song or that he wasn't obsessed with her yet like the rest of them. They were the ones that seemed creepy with their stalker song. It was just weird. These guys were straight up picking on him, especially Evan who deserved more than just a shirt ripping. And I have no words for Alex except to say that he is a child. Chad is the only one who stated truthfully that he wanted to see where it went with JoJo and that he wasn't yet in love with her. What is wrong with that?

As far as the "violence", I think some men are more passive and some are more aggressive. My boyfriend is the more aggressive type of alpha male, built more like Wells but not afraid to throw down when necessary. He's been in fights before and he doesn't take kindly to being disrespected by other men. But with me he's very loveable and cuddly. I guess I'm just saying that I think it is male instinct to fight over females or whatever else they think is worth the effort. The other men in this house acting as if they would just never in a million years get into a fight is ridiculous and it's a lie. I'm sure all of them have lost their tempers at some point.

all that being said, I think Chad was even worse than he probably usually is because his mom died like a month prior or something? My dad died 4 years ago and I still don't feel like myself sometimes,and when he first died, I did a lot of things out of character. It may have been too soon for him to try doing a show like this. 

I'm interested in everyone's opinions but taking into consideration the fact that they could have easily edited someone else as the villain. They have a lot of footage to use after all.

Wells has been my favorite since episode one btw.

I think Derek is the one she turns down in the preview of the finale because whoever it was was very tall and tan and I thought I saw dark hair on the hand. 

From someone whose husband has never once been in an actual physical fight, my issue with Chad was his threats to track people down and beat them up. I find it juvenile and stupid, and it's also illegal (assault and battery), no matter who or how someone verbally "disrespects" you. Mature men don't act on animal instinct -- they disengage, and use their heads instead of their meaty man-hands, no matter how much someone might think the other person "deserves to get their ass kicked" (which is always a matter of opinion and dependent on someone else's overly emotional response.) NO ONE deserves to get their ass physically kicked (as in a beat down, like Chad was threatening to do). If they do something "wrong" (meaning something that angers the other person), there are always — always — other ways to handle it.

as·sault and bat·ter·y (noun) LAW. the crime of threatening a person together with the act of making physical contact with them.

I do agree that Chad is right that it was too early to act like he was in love with JoJo. But he was constantly denigrating the other men, acting like he was superior to them because he was being stubborn over that point.

I agree Jordan could be a villain. I already think he is, though, so the editing must not be that pro-Jordan.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 8

Well, that was a LOT less fun without Chad. I know it's part of the show concept, but I had to roll my eyes as Jo made sure that Jordan was not "the cheating kind" as she mentally prepped for the next day's date with 12 or more guys and the inevitable lip locks required. I DO think he's endgame for her and has been since the beginning, so her other dates seem inconsequential. Do they do home visits? Will we see Alex interact with his twin? I wonder if he is as annoying? I assume not, since the introductory episode showed him to be married or in a relationship. Maybe the twin stole her from Alex? Maybe she's not sure which twin she is with? I think they even have matching tats, which is weird. I'm a little obsessed with them.

• Love 3

Holy crap, these guys are the biggest bunch of whiny bitches I've ever seen on this franchise.  Evil Chad is gone... let's move on to whatever the next topic of whinging will be!  What shall we cry about next?!

It was entertaining when JoJo said Evan's name during the rose ceremony... she looked like she was about to puke.  I imagined her just barfing out his name.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, scribe95 said:

Also, Jordan trying to be all sexy pushing her against the wall made me laugh because she clearly wasn't ready for it and almost tripped. It didn't look hot. You are no Arie!

Haha, that was my thought exactly when it happened--definitely no Arie.  And no chemistry.  To be honest, I haven't seem chemistry between her and any of the guys. 

Alex is disgusting.  Any man who calls other men "little bitches" is pathetic and without dignity. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Princess Sparkle said:

I almost felt like Daniel was spite-eating that mac and cheese after 3 weeks of nothing but lunch meat, whole sweet potatoes, lettuce leaves, and protein powder to go along with Chad's fitness regiment. If Jordan wasn't completely monopolizing the conversation, I presumed Chad would have commented to Daniel something like, "Bro, simple carbs and saturated fat?! Is this how it's gonna be?" And then Daniel would say, "Sorry, bro. I told you to be less like Hitler," give a sad little shrug, take a step backward to stand with Alex et al, and take another bite of his mac and cheese.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
(edited)

I really didn't get why Vinnie, Evan and Grant were all boo-hooing that they were going home. Every one of them had more of a relationship with the other guys than they did with Jo-Jo. The fact that they had been there a month and never (at least Vinnie and Evan, can't remember if Grant did) received more than a peck on the cheek from Jo-Jo should have been a dead giveaway that their bags were on the way out the door.

Am I the only one who thinks that regardless of whether Chad#1 was a tool for giving an interview to the rag, that what he said is likely true? Jo-Jo dumped him to go on the Bachelor, hooked back up with him after she got dumped by Ben, then dumped him again to be the Bachelorette. What's not to believe? Even going on the show for exposure is hardly unlikely. Despite her still continuing to declare her instalove for Ben, she was over him quickly enough to move on in a matter of weeks. And claiming that she was helping Chad# and that is why she spent time with him post Ben?  Wasn't she the one with the broken heart? Seems to me that he was more likely comforting her.

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 6
53 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

From someone whose husband has never once been in an actual physical fight, my issue with Chad was his threats to track people down and beat them up. I find it juvenile and stupid, and it's also illegal (assault and battery), no matter who or how someone verbally "disrespects" you. Mature men don't act on animal instinct -- they disengage, and use their heads instead of their meaty man-hands, no matter how much someone might think the other person "deserves to get their ass kicked" (which is always a matter of opinion and dependent on someone else's overly emotional response.) NO ONE deserves to get their ass physically kicked (as in a beat down, like Chad was threatening to do). If they do something "wrong" (meaning something that angers the other person), there are always — always — other ways to handle it.

as·sault and bat·ter·y (noun) LAW. the crime of threatening a person together with the act of making physical contact with them.

I do agree that Chad is right that it was too early to act like he was in love with JoJo. But he was constantly denigrating the other men, acting like he was superior to them because he was being stubborn over that point.

I agree Jordan could be a villain. I already think he is, though, so the editing must not be that pro-Jordan.

Oh yeah. I forgot about him saying he would track them down or find them. That's going too far and borders on psycho. 

I'm not arguing the legality of fighting and I do know the legal definition of assault and battery. My point is that men have been fighting each other since the beginning of time for one reason or another and without it we couldn't have evolved. It's human instinct, fight or flight. I don't agree that the only way a man can be considered "mature" is if he makes nice with the bully; however, if I remember correctly, Chad did try to disengage and they got all over his ass about that too.It would be in Evan's best interest to not poke and prod a guy who is willing to fight. He may learn a hard lesson one day. then maybe he'd think twice about straight up picking on somebody, accusing them, and calling them out in public. The only reason he did all that was because he had the safety of the show and had Alex backing him. I doubt he would have said any of it in real life. He'd absolutely know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he'd get his ass beat whether you and I liked it or not. 

In their case, I do agree that there were other ways of handling it. A fight didn't actually occur. But I couldn't agree with such a broad statement like "there are ALWAYS other ways to handle it." I'm sure your husband would fight another man in defense of his family, for example, if it came down to that. 

For the record, I don't like Chad. I think he's a pretentious prick. But Alex was out of line and jealous from the beginning and then encouraged Evan to take it to another level. To me, they were just asking for it. It's almost like they couldn't wait to push him over the edge and that is also very wrong.

• Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I do love her clothes.  Last night's green "here comes my leg,' dress and that blue one in the previews.  Yummy.

I'm a total magpie, but JoJo could consider dialing her wardrobe somewhere south of the 'disco ball' setting. She's a pretty, glossy woman, and those superspangled dresses are out-shining her. I like it when she wears actual fabric and I get a look at her instead of being dazzled by the glare.

Edited by piewarmer
Had another thought!
  • Love 4

I was gifted with being able to view this episode the morning before it aired.  Hulu goofed and it streamed without commercials!  I dared not pause it, in case it would disappear when trying to restart.  I don’t know if I was more excited about the preview, or lack of commercials.

Wells is my guy!  I know JoJo is only keeping him because there are others needing to go first and she has no romantic interest in him.  I don’t recall a single conversation between them, certainly not a kiss – and she seems free with those.  He’s got wit and heart and is a good sport.  I’d love to see him as the next Bachelor, but he’s not buff enough for this franchise.

Derek experienced the typical first 1-on-1 syndrome.  You make a connection early, and then freak out when you see the “B” with other guys/gals and it seems to take forever for your turn to come around again.  The need for reassurance is apparent.  At lease I can tell him apart from most of the others. 

Chase is the guy I don’t recognize and then I do a series of eliminations.  No, that can’t be Jordan, his hair isn’t floppy on top.  No, it isn’t Robby, his hair isn’t perfectly shellacked.   Oh, that must mean it’s Chase!

Robby, why oh why are you telling JoJo you love her?  It’s your first date for christsakes!   You really must be sipping the Kool-aid.

I didn’t think Daniel had a chance with his antics on the first night.  But he was a great sidekick to Chad and even on his own, hilarious.  Eating his mac-n-cheese while the carebear brigade was circling Chad.  His farewell speech, classic!

Alex…. I can’t fault the guy for being short.  I’m short at 5’2” and I like short guys.  Better to be able to speak face to face with them rather than getting a crick in my neck or staring at a guy’s navel.  He has a nice face.  But dear God, stop with the bitching about everyone else!  It’s tiresome and I won’t be sad when he goes.

James T is nice.  Being nice doesn’t make you boyfriend material.

I don’t get the appeal with Jordan.  I think the conversation where JoJo confronted him with her conversation with his ex (what were the real circumstances of that anyway?) he seemed shifty.  But she’s smitten.  They can’t keep their lips off of one another.  Once they start having other real conversations, they’ll despise one another.  I’m sure of it.

I knew as much as I disliked Chad, I’d miss him when he was gone.  Because this is the most boring group I’ve seen on this show.  And that’s saying something.

• Love 7

My favorite Chad exchange was when Jordan was listing the ways he offended everyone and one of the things was that Chad "worked out alone." Chad was all, "wait, working out alone? Is that a thing?"

• Love 9
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

Oh yeah. I forgot about him saying he would track them down or find them. That's going too far and borders on psycho. 

I'm not arguing the legality of fighting and I do know the legal definition of assault and battery. My point is that men have been fighting each other since the beginning of time for one reason or another and without it we couldn't have evolved. It's human instinct, fight or flight. I don't agree that the only way a man can be considered "mature" is if he makes nice with the bully; however, if I remember correctly, Chad did try to disengage and they got all over his ass about that too.It would be in Evan's best interest to not poke and prod a guy who is willing to fight. He may learn a hard lesson one day. then maybe he'd think twice about straight up picking on somebody, accusing them, and calling them out in public. The only reason he did all that was because he had the safety of the show and had Alex backing him. I doubt he would have said any of it in real life. He'd absolutely know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he'd get his ass beat whether you and I liked it or not. 

In their case, I do agree that there were other ways of handling it. A fight didn't actually occur. But I couldn't agree with such a broad statement like "there are ALWAYS other ways to handle it." I'm sure your husband would fight another man in defense of his family, for example, if it came down to that. 

For the record, I don't like Chad. I think he's a pretentious prick. But Alex was out of line and jealous from the beginning and then encouraged Evan to take it to another level. To me, they were just asking for it. It's almost like they couldn't wait to push him over the edge and that is also very wrong.

Of course husband would defend me in self defense. But he'd never throw a punch at a guy. There's a reason a contestant will immediately get ejected if they can't contain their anger and start throwing punches (oh yeah, illegal again.)

Being mature doesn't mean making nice with a bully, just not encouraging escalation or accepting the idea that the only way to resolve conflict is to actually punch each other out. I still say it is never necessary -- except for self-defense, of course.

On the bolded part, that sounds way too much like the justification men use for beating up their wives for my comfort, like it's the other guy's fault he got poor sensitive Chad so upset that Chad just HAD to hit him. I don't accept that. If the other guy is only TALKING at him, it's Chad's fault if he responds by punching him, no matter what the guy says. Equal force is talking back, not swinging fists. Better yet, if Chad had walked away every time and not engaged, we'd all be thinking he was the sympathetic hero of the piece, and the others were the villains.

As for "pushing Chad over the edge" -- again, no excuse. That edge is Chad's responsibility (which is why I mention maturity), and it's his responsibility to contain himself.

Alex is a total tool, as he showed this episode.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, violet and green said:

Worse, he's an 'ex-competitive swimmer'. I think the swimming got in the way of the hair do. That 'do would take a lot of fixing.

I do wonder how he keeps it constrained to that tidy little forelump.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, leighdear said:

I think Jordan is as into JoJo as Bentley was into Ashley and Brooks was into Des.  

And Graham was into DeAnna and Frank was into Ali. There seems to be a pattern.

• Love 1
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

Of course husband would defend me in self defense. But he'd never throw a punch at a guy. There's a reason a contestant will immediately get ejected if they can't contain their anger and start throwing punches (oh yeah, illegal again.)

Being mature doesn't mean making nice with a bully, just not encouraging escalation or accepting the idea that the only way to resolve conflict is to actually punch each other out. I still say it is never necessary -- except for self-defense, of course.

On the bolded part, that sounds way too much like the justification men use for beating up their wives for my comfort, like it's the other guy's fault he got poor sensitive Chad so upset that Chad just HAD to hit him. I don't accept that. If the other guy is only TALKING at him, it's Chad's fault if he responds by punching him, no matter what the guy says. Equal force is talking back, not swinging fists. Better yet, if Chad had walked away every time and not engaged, we'd all be thinking he was the sympathetic hero of the piece, and the others were the villains.

As for "pushing Chad over the edge" -- again, no excuse. That edge is Chad's responsibility (which is why I mention maturity), and it's his responsibility to contain himself.

Alex is a total tool, as he showed this episode.

Wow. You took my comment about men puffing up and trying to best each other over a female and turned it into men beating women. Do you really think that's what I was equating it to or are you just reaching to prove a point? Are you implying that I'm somehow advocating spousal abuse? I assure you, I am not and I don't feel like I should have to defend myself on that point. Comparing a fight between men to a man beating a woman is ridiculous and the fact that you would make such a comparison proves that you missed the point of the original post entirely and you're now grasping. Your view on whether or not Chad has a right to be angry is just opinion so there's no point in arguing to the point of insult. This is a friendly forum. Some may agree with you and some may not. I would prefer that you not imply that I'm in favor of wife beating though. That would be great. 

Let me explain it in a different way and maybe you'll understand what I'm trying to say. You nor I can control what another person will do from one moment to the next. So if I see a guy like Chad pacing back and forth like an animal, on his game, ready to knock the shit out of somebody, the last thing I'm going to do is go over there and try to piss him off. I can't control this person. so I can't then go starting shit with the expectation that he's going to act rationally. It's just not very smart to do such a thing.

I think I would have been angry if I were in Chad's position. I wouldn't have punched doors and made threats but I'm just not like that. Very obviously, Chad is. 

At the same time, I would never treat a person in the way that Evan and Alex treated Chad either. Words also play a part in this. It was not smart of Evan especially to try to provoke a man who could very obviously beat him up. Alex could probably hold his own but something tells me Evan probably couldn't.

This has nothing to do with men beating women at all.

Edited by Nowhere
  • Love 6
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

I can't stand Jordan's hair and his smug face. Whoever picked this batch of men really shortchanged JoJo although l don't care for her that much either.

That's where I'm at, too. JoJo's OK, but for some reason I don't connect with or root for her as I have bachelorettes in the past. She's just kind of an average pretty girl in overly shiny clothes. I'm not even sure what she does for a living -- is she in real estate? The producers did a good job casting for her specifically, though. Mostly meatheads, athletes, no one too demanding intellectually. Evan was in no way right for her -- he would have worked on Ashley's season.

11 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

Wow. You took my comment about men puffing up and trying to best each other over a female and turned it into men beating women. Do you really think that's what I was equating it to or are you just reaching to prove a point? Are you implying that I'm somehow advocating spousal abuse? I assure you, I am not and I don't feel like I should have to defend myself on that point. Comparing a fight between men to a man beating a woman is ridiculous and the fact that you would make such a comparison proves that you missed the point of the original post entirely and you're now grasping. Your view on whether or not Chad has a right to be angry is just opinion so there's no point in arguing to the point of insult. This is a friendly forum. Some may agree with you and some may not. I would prefer that you not imply that I'm in favor of wife beating though. That would be great. 

Sorry about that. I never meant to imply you advocate spousal abuse. My mind went there because of the idea that the other guy asked for it. I just don't think it's right for men to beat on women, women to beat on men, or men to beat on men. We've evolved past that caveman mentality, and we have laws against it. It's just wrong, and the offender is the punch-thrower, bottom line. It's not romantic or sexy, it's not attractive (to me), and it makes the men involved (particularly the first-punch thrower) look like total tools. (At least it has on every reality show I've seen where a contestant physically attacked -- and was promptly expelled.)

So, yes, I am comparing a fight between two men to a fight between a man and a woman (both are assault and battery). Especially when the man is as buff as Chad, and Alex and Evan are much smaller. Either one could suffer serious injury if a man of Chad's size attacked them.

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, lids said:

I've said since the first ep that Derek is Jim from The Office to me, so I like him. But the bloom is off the rose, people. Every time I watch I keep 'fixing' him. He needs to lose 10 pounds and dye his hair a slightly lighter color. In general, Jim is just a lighter person period. He would be joking and planning pranks. Derek just broods. Also, I'm going to need him to look straight at the camera one time and give us a look like he's in on the ridiculousness.

He's a poor man's Jim.  His ears also need to be different somehow.  John Krasinski is definitely better looking... however, Derek *did* actually look straight at the camera and smirk during the nip slip scene.  At least I think that's what I saw...

• Love 3

Besides his clear Napoleon complex, Alex has another challenge:  an identical twin brother (according to the episode 1 profile) who is married.  He's probably been #2 all his life.

And I forgot to quote the poster above who mentioned that one of Jordan's complaints about Chad was working out alone.. I wonder if Jordan thought they'd be the two cool guys/athletes and felt rejected by Chad.

• Love 3
(edited)
38 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

That's where I'm at, too. JoJo's OK, but for some reason I don't connect with or root for her as I have bachelorettes in the past. She's just kind of an average pretty girl in overly shiny clothes. I'm not even sure what she does for a living -- is she in real estate? The producers did a good job casting for her specifically, though. Mostly meatheads, athletes, no one too demanding intellectually. Evan was in no way right for her -- he would have worked on Ashley's season.

Sorry about that. I never meant to imply you advocate spousal abuse. My mind went there because of the idea that the other guy asked for it. I just don't think it's right for men to beat on women, women to beat on men, or men to beat on men. We've evolved past that caveman mentality, and we have laws against it. It's just wrong, and the offender is the punch-thrower, bottom line. It's not romantic or sexy, it's not attractive (to me), and it makes the men involved (particularly the first-punch thrower) look like total tools. (At least it has on every reality show I've seen where a contestant physically attacked -- and was promptly expelled.)

So, yes, I am comparing a fight between two men to a fight between a man and a woman (both are assault and battery). Especially when the man is as buff as Chad, and Alex and Evan are much smaller. Either one could suffer serious injury if a man of Chad's size attacked them.

I added more to my post in order to clarify my original thought. I personally don't find it odd for men to want to fight other men in certain situations. It is odd for a man to want to fight a woman. Most everyone agrees with that. testosterone makes men more aggressive than women naturally. That may be why I find it very unattractive for men to whisper and gossip in the corner like high school mean girls, or pick at other people like children, but I don't have a real issue with a fist fight man to man.

But I still think Alex could beat Chad in a fight. It could go either way. 

Edited by Nowhere
  • Love 1