Type keyword(s) to search

O.J.: Made In America - Part 2

(edited)
On June 15, 2016 at 11:12 AM, reggiejax said:

Regarding the idea of the relevance of Nicole Simpson's drug use, my answer would be, it depends.

It's like some people are taking the position, "If the show explored Nicole's drug use, the show would be saying she deserved to die!" No. The show would not be saying that. What the show would be doing, is painting a fuller portrait of one of the most important figures in its story.

It's kind of like the show went out of its way not to.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 5
(edited)

I wanted to know more about his first marriage too. They glossed over the affair, OJ kicking her out of her home after the baby drowned, and any violence he might have displayed toward her. That seemed like an off choice to me.

According to this article, Marguerite has vanished from public view, but stated around the time of the trial that Simpson never struck her or otherwise put a hand on her.  My guess is that a lot of his first marriage was glossed over because it didn't appear to add much to the overall story they wanted to tell.  It may have also been the people who could really speak as to the issue, Marguerite and his children, were not cooperative.    

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 1

O.J. never met Ron. What jealousies would have been generated? I thought the theory was Ron showed up just as O.J. had  just stabbed Nicole several times. Ron was killed because he could be a witness and/or he could put up a fight. 

1 hour ago, Willowsmom said:

I thought they said she had remarried and her kids were adults so what monies would there be?

Simpson was likely giving her monies just because she was the mother of his children. 

As for her claims Simpson never struck her, that could be true. She could also be lying for the reason stated above. She could also be implying he never "beat" her or struck her, but there are other ways to be abusive to a partner without beating them to a pulp. It is also not unusual for an abuser to have hit one partner and not hit other partners.

I once dated a guy who was very nice to me and treated me with respect. I was approached by detectives years later inquiring about my relationship with him.  He had murdered his wife after years of abuse. 

Simpson is the classic abuser who could not let go of his partner. By her leaving his grasp, he could not control her. 

As for Nicole and the cocaine angle, it seems to me Simpson did not give two shits about drug use. His rants about  Faye Resnick were all for show and to deflect. Simpson himself snorted cocaine, correct? Didn't he pressure his post-murder girlfriend to do coke because he benefitted  from her behavior afterwards?  There was no drug connection. And he surely had no cares if Nicole dabbled here and there.

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 2:06 PM, Negritude said:

White folks (and some POC) who riot when their team wins a championship, or white students who riot at a pumpkin festival, or white Europeans who riot over football (soccer), completely understandable. Black people taking to the streets in anger when members of our communities, some of which are children, are beaten and killed, unarmed and on tape while the perpetrators are set free...hmmm just don't get it <insert sarcasm>. Not saying that the previous poster excuses the aforementioned behavior, I just find it interesting when these types of racial unrests are criticized while others are not, at least not in the same manner. And I get that this discussion is related to the events in this documentary, its just a pet peeve of mine. BTW I actually would've given the Goldman family a pass if they had "set fire to the rain" after that farce of a trial and verdict. But that's just me. End rant. 

I don't know anyone who thinks rioting because your team lost, or a concert sucked, etc, is even remotely acceptable (except maybe the morons who actually do it).  I live near Penn State, and the obnoxious over-privileged kids who flipped over cars and news trucks and ripped down light poles all over the whole Joe Paterno thing should have all been arrested, suspended or expelled, and lost their scholarship money if applicable.  I feel bad for the people who live in riot affected areas.  How long it takes for their neighborhood to come back - if ever.  Businesses leaving and not returning.  I just can't imagine.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 10:40 AM, ridethemaverick said:

OJ on those tapes was terrifying. I cant imagine being in the same vicinity as someone who is filled with so much rage and contempt for you. And it saddens me that Nicole really had nobody to turn to. Shipp, who I don't find as sympathetic as many of you, dropped the ball. He was an officer who knew her and had the resources to get her out of there but he did nothing.

Everyone in Nicole's life claimed to love her but nobody helped. 

P.s. I know the blame ultimately lies with OJ but all those missed opportunities to assist her really bothered me.

I watched the cousin of a friend go through something similar.  He had just gotten out of a bad marriage - one where his wife just packed up and left their small child behind.  He hooked up with a woman who also just got out of a marriage - one of many for her.  He was vulnerable, and she was opportunistic.  He had a good job and made good money.  She liked to be pampered.  He lavished all kinds of things on her - expensive gifts, animals, a brand new house, etc.  Everyone warned him about marrying her.  Everyone told him it was a bad idea.  He didn't listen - he was smitten.  It took a year or so, but she began sleeping around on him.  He knew, but he didn't want to do anything about it.  She was mean to him.  She played with his mind and his heart.  She got brazen about it at one point.  He wouldn't leave her - people offered to help with attorneys, etc.  He said no.  One day, he put a bullet in his head.  Left a note hoping she'd find him and feel bad.  Instead, his small kid found him.  Did she care?  Nope.  Sent the kid to live with grandma, and cleaned his stuff out of the house.  Then lost the house to foreclosure.  People have said they wanted to get Nicole out and she didn't go, for whatever reason.  That can be debated until the end of time and only she can answer that.  But people did appear to offer her help - more than once.  I'm not blaming her whatsoever.  It's actually a good argument for even harsher stalking laws because restraining orders are just pieces of paper, and some people have no fear.

• Love 1

I wish they would have spent more time discussing the background of OJ and not the misdeeds of the LAPD.

I think it was very important considering what happened during the previous decade involving the LAPD.  Early 90s saw the breakout of "south central LA" movies, rap songs, etc. I was 14 or so when the Rodney King beating happened and it was my first exposure on what a police officer can do to someone they were arresting and then horrified when they were let off for "just doing their job."  And it sickens me that 20+ years later, they haven't learned anything. Especially in a world where a story on police brutality making the news at least a weekly is the "new normal."

• Love 2