Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E09: Kissing Your Sister

• Start Topic

Enigma X Jonah's uncle is in the same political party as Selina. Recall that in Season 3 it was revealed that Jonah's uncle controlled the NH seniors vote, which implied Jonah's uncle called in a favor from the president and got Jonah his original White House gig. And Jonah's uncle had him run for representative as a "place holder" for the talented and smart nephew who is currently overseas in the military. So Jonah is in Selina's party.

But they couldn't control him and his long suffering anger at Selina just poured out. That's part of the joke - that his venom spewing is working at first with the voters.  Selina doesn't really care how or why Jonah gets elected because he will do as he's told when the vote is called.

• Love 2
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Stella said:

Enigma X Jonah's uncle is in the same political party as Selina. Recall that in Season 3 it was revealed that Jonah's uncle controlled the NH seniors vote, which implied Jonah's uncle called in a favor from the president and got Jonah his original White House gig. And Jonah's uncle had him run for representative as a "place holder" for the talented and smart nephew who is currently overseas in the military. So Jonah is in Selina's party.

But they couldn't control him and his long suffering anger at Selina just poured out. That's part of the joke - that his venom spewing is working at first with the voters.  Selina doesn't really care how or why Jonah gets elected because he will do as he's told when the vote is called.

I get all that, I am wondering if, regardless of the same party, it is seen as bad or would it need explanation that staff who worked for someone who badmouthed one politician goes back to work for that politician shortly after. The best example that I can come up with is that it would be like Bernie Sanders' campaign manager shifting over to Hilary's camp now.

Edited by Enigma X

Liked the callbacks, found the device of showing us Catherine's video off putting. I think it's because I felt like nothing was actually happening. We were just seeing different aspects of things we already knew happened. Jonah at the school was still great, though.

Meanwhile, Catherine has all kinds of incredible footage on her camera of what occurs in the White House behind the scenes, and she still manages to focus instead on herself - and not because she was protecting her mom. It was more, that's just how she thinks.Her cut to the importance of her grandmother dying made me roll my eyes.

• Love 1

Has it been explained or does it need to be explained how and why Dan and Amy worked on Jonah's campaign although Jonah seemed to stand against Selina's platform? I mean Amy and Dan will be back in/still are in Selina's office. I hope I am making sense. I am maybe thinking way too much about this, especially since the plan was originally for Jonah to cast his vote for Selina.

Yeah, I don't think that would fly in real life if it came out that people in Selena's administration were running Jonah's campaign. The opposition would be all over that because obviously there's a House vote for President coming up. On the other hand, Jonah's opposition's campaign was being run by an O'Brien supporter so - pot meet kettle. 

• Love 2

I was driving along today and started chuckling at the memory of John Slattery strolling out naked--complete with pixilated junk--during one of Katherine's interviews with Selina.  He darts back into the bathroom so fast, I missed him on the first watch, just from glancing away.

I wasn't disappointed with the payoff to the long documentary B-story.  Everyone anticipated a big campaign timebomb, but all the small funny moments were really a treat. (And one of those might be a timebomb, for all I know.)

There's one place where Selina's telling a story and there are five or six choppy editing cuts, even though the story proceeds seamlessly.  LOL--how many takes did you need for that anecdote, Madam Prez?

• Love 1
On 6/22/2016 at 11:55 AM, iMonrey said:

Yeah, I don't think that would fly in real life if it came out that people in Selena's administration were running Jonah's campaign. The opposition would be all over that because obviously there's a House vote for President coming up. On the other hand, Jonah's opposition's campaign was being run by an O'Brien supporter so - pot meet kettle. 

I don't think Selina or O'Brien encouraging political operatives to help out with the election would be controversial. I think the controversy would come if O'Brien questioned who was paying the staffers to work there.  Are they will on the WH payroll? I'm no expert but I would bet that breaks some campaign finance laws.

On 6/22/2016 at 11:55 AM, iMonrey said:

I don't think Selina or O'Brien encouraging political operatives to help out with the election would be controversial. I think the controversy would come if O'Brien questioned who was paying the staffers to work there.  Are they will on the WH payroll? I'm no expert but I would bet that breaks some campaign finance laws.

(edited)

If there are hundreds of House of Representatives,  but one state gets only one vote for the tiebreaking Presidential vote, then which representatives in each state are eligible to vote?

Can any representative from a state vote? 

If a state has 7 representatives, can any of them vote in this election? 

Since New Hampshire has 2 House Representatives, could the other representative, and not Jonah, have cast the vote?

Edited by nuraman00