Type keyword(s) to search

Justified in the Media

(edited)

Having read the "Ava" article, I think she perfectly portrayed what she was trying to get across on The Hunt.  That's marvelous -- to see an actor mean to get something across and find that's exactly what he/she was able to do.

I said to myself, "What "betrayed you to Raylan" do you mean, Ava?" -- I hadn't seen her give Raylan much of anything.  So, clearly that's what Ava believes she's done when, in reality, she hasn't.  The worst thing she's done (which is pretty bad in that world) is agree to be a snitch.  She's even chastised by the Marshal team for not giving them enough.  So, that was wonderful because the actor mentions that very inconsistency in the article.  Ava is so obsessed with being a snitch (a bad thing) that she doesn't even realize, when her life seems to be on the line, that in fact she's a pretty lousy one.

I think that whole woods scene was phenomenal.

OTH, the "choking scene" was terrible because Boyd hardly had physical contact with Ava's neck (certainly not to leave that kind of bruising.)  However, I reckon if I can tolerate clearly fake money, I can tolerate 'clearly not choking his fellow actor'.

ETA:  Spelling matters.

Edited by Captanne
  • Love 1

Graham Yost was a guest on the Canadian radio show Q, being interviewed by Allan Hawco. It isn't overly in-depth but it does talk about Graham's process.

That was really fun to listen to, as both a Justified fan and an Allan Hawco fan...

Here is Graham Yost's post-mortem on Trust.

The big idea was that we wanted to build a season that was about Raylan versus Boyd with Ava caught in the middle. To a degree, it was kind of a little bit like Boyd’s old thing of blowing up a car on the edge of town and distracting people while he’s actually going to go hit a bank. To a degree, we wanted to distract people with the Raylan versus Boyd and not have them realize that the story was really about Ava, and that she was going to do something that was going to confound them both. The story would then be about getting Ava and who’s going to get her first.

Yost also has a few "teases" about upcoming episodes.  Nothing I'd consider a real spoiler, but you might, so you've been warned!

I just heard on NPR that...Terri Gross? is doing a Justified thing tomorrow 26 March 2015 on her show, here its on a 3:00

I heard that too. Yeah, check local listings. Fresh Air is on at noon where I live.

The show audio is usually up on the NPR.org site within a day, I think.

Edited by lulee

I just heard on NPR that...Terri Gross? is doing a Justified thing tomorrow 26 March 2015 on her show, here its on a 3:00

Looking forward to this, but will have to wait for the podcast.  Her interview with Walton Goggins from 2010, I think? is really great.

Here is Graham Yost's post-mortem on Trust.

[sNIP] To a degree, we wanted to distract people with the Raylan versus Boyd and not have them realize that the story was really about Ava...[sNIP]

It has been clear that it has been about Ava. People here have noted it since the beginning of the season. She has been trying to do what was best for her all season, to the detriment of the Raylan versus Boyd story. I'm all Ava'd out.

I did like that in that post-mortem, Yost explained the "Boon antagonizing the diners scene" was based on an old Elmore Leonard story about a man who didn't use violence. I had wondered about it, because it seemed out of place to me. I need to re-read my books.

• Love 1

From Tvline's "Matt's Inside Line" about 3/31's episode.  I can't wait!

I know at least three characters who are guaranteed not to die in the April 14 series finale… because their lives will have already been cut short this Tuesday night. (“Fun” fact: Some of said death comes out a brawl so brutal and extended that when the 911 dispatcher asks the nature of the emergency, the caller can only admit, “I don’t know where to start….”)

I hadn't seen these videos, but I did make a contribution last week.  Doubtful they'll pick my name, but a girl can dream. I told my friend who's a big Tim fan, ( I like him, but Walton's my favorite) that she could be my plus one.  

• Love 2

I hadn't seen these videos, but I did make a contribution last week.  Doubtful they'll pick my name, but a girl can dream. I told my friend who's a big Tim fan, ( I like him, but Walton's my favorite) that she could be my plus one.  

Even if I were to win (so very unlikely) I don't think I could bring myself to go because if, God forbid, Tim Gutterson dies I would rather watch that in the privacy of my own home where I can scream at the TV and bawl my little eyes out without anyone knowing I'm a crazy person.

• Love 4

Non-spoilery sorta-hinty talk about the finale from TVGuide:

Although a final showdown between Raylan (Timothy Olyphant) and Boyd (Walton Goggins) is a given, viewers should also keep an eye on season-long villain Avery Markham (Sam Elliott) and his quick-triggered henchman Boon (Jonathan Tucker), both of whom add plenty of mayhem to the final hour.

Multiple face-offs will result in several casualties, but you might be most surprised by who doesn't die -- and by how early in the episode those climactic moments come. But don't worry, the rest of the episode packs at least one major surprise that plays a significant role in where these characters' stories ultimately end.

Wonder what the major surprise is.

They are trying to act like it hasn't leaked already that Natalie Zea filmed scenes for the finale, but don't think that's a major surprise. If anything it would just be an ending surprise. 

In preparation for the finale tonight: The A.V. Club as a nice write-up about the series.  Overall, I agree with it.  Justified might not be considered a "revolutionary/ground-breaking" show like some of the other prestige drams out there, but I thought it was simply a great show, with great characters and writings.  It had a few misses (parts of season 3, most of season 5), but, overall, this is probably going to go down as one of my favorite shows of all time.

• Love 2

Wonder what the major surprise is.

They are trying to act like it hasn't leaked already that Natalie Zea filmed scenes for the finale, but don't think that's a major surprise. If anything it would just be an ending surprise. 

I really think, and I could be wrong, that the surprise is that the "promise" fulfilled is that 

Quarles comes back and finishes the job

Edited by Febgirl

I really think, and I could be wrong, that the surprise is that the "promise" fulfilled is that 

Quarles comes back and finishes the job

Febgirl, that would be really twisted.  I hope that promise is that 

Raylan goes to Florida to raise his daughter

• Love 2

Snippet from Ask Ausiello at TVLine about the finale. First comment could be a hint of a spoiler if you read into the words -- or not -- but for caution's sake:

♦ Tonight’s Justified closer is

an immensely satisfying bookend to the pilot

, not to mention one of the best series finales ever. There are at least two great surprises (one of which literally made my jaw drop), a handful of wonderful callbacks and, in the great tradition of this fine show, several do-or-die sequences that will have you biting your nails completely off and spitting them across your living room into the fireplace where no one will find them until next winter when it’s time to resume log-burning.

Interview with Yost from EW.  Talks mainly about the finale, but the most interesting thing is what about they did originally have a plan about killing one of the regulars.  I guess this isn't any kind of spoiler: basically, when Boyd broke out of the hospital, they had planned it for Tim to be there, and Boyd was going to kill him. Thankfully, they changed that when they realized that there would have been no way for the show to not end with Boyd dying, because the marshals wouldn't have let him live, and I'm sure a lot of fans would be wanting his blood.  Still, it's interesting to hear that.

Edited by thuganomics85

Another interview about the finale. I really wish they had been able to work out getting the actor and kept the mention of Dewey even if it had been a downer to confirm he's dead if only so that the character's death was acknowledged by Raylan and for our last image of Dewey to have been alive even if in a 'What if' theory posited by Raylan.

From Yost's EW interview:

He got her in the dog-grooming van and put her in the hidden compartment, and feel that a dog-grooming van would throw off any inspection – that the scents would just make it hard for [police dogs] to smell anyone in there.

And now Duffy's line about not wanting a van that was made to look like a dog grooming van but a real dog grooming van makes sense.

• Love 3

I have no idea who I should thank for the careful management of spoilers out in the world, because I felt like the media did ( for the most part, the Sam Elliott interview excepted) a great job not letting anything leak.  I'm wondering if this is a lesson learned from the Sons of Anarchy Finale, where major deaths were spoiled days before the finale episode. I really enjoyed the episode and all of its twists and turns.

I have no idea who I should thank for the careful management of spoilers out in the world, because I felt like the media did ( for the most part, the Sam Elliott interview excepted) a great job not letting anything leak.  I'm wondering if this is a lesson learned from the Sons of Anarchy Finale, where major deaths were spoiled days before the finale episode. I really enjoyed the episode and all of its twists and turns.

What did Elliott reveal in that interview? That Markham died (and who killed him?)? or more?

Likewise, Febgirl. -- I'm not on Facebook so I couldn't comment, otherwise I would have told the author that some of us have longer attention spans and would like to read more in a followup.

Separate note: I'm surprised there hasn't been something from TO, post-finale, or Joelle Carter.

Not sure where the most appropriate place to put this is, but Screenbid is having an auction of all sorts of Justified set pieces.

Kinda neat if you're interested in a license plate from the wall of Boyd's bar, or the box from the donuts Raylan brought into the Marshal's office...

The auction started yesterday, and there are many interesting things up for grabs. Shot glasses from Boyd's bar.... Raylan's jeans, etc. 

Auction is ending.  I ended up with the two rubber masks worn by Tyler and Earl in the third episode, Shelby's slinky vase, and Katherine Hale's knee-high black boots (in my size!). Wooo hoooo!  

• Love 2

Which one of you jokers bought Boyd's Black Pike portfolio haha, well done, $300 was too rich for my blood though I almost went ahead and bid more. Thankfully I hadnt been drinking lol

• Love 1

It was pretty crazy, watching and bidding in this auction. I lost many cool things to higher bidders. Way too rich for my blood, too... but it was fun, and exciting, in any case. Some items went for as low as $25, yet others were through the roof.  Raylan's silver horseshoe ring sold for $17,500, for example.  Yikes. I also ended up with one of those condiment containers from Boyd's bar, in addition to the rubber masks and slinky vase... but it's Katherine's 3" wedge boots I'm excited about. Might be a bit vampy for my style, but who cares? I'm wearin' em!  For such a small woman, she has big feet (luckily for me). 

Edited by Bcharmer
  • Love 1