Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 06/13/2016

Jaded
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Cosmocrush said:

I'm a day late but Whoopi trying to argue with Paula about breastfeeding...

I'd say almost anyone on this forum is more qualified than Whoopi.  Or at least better informed.  

I'm not sure about Raven (I liked her point/comment today about the wording of the second amendment) but Whoopi will say anything to try and pick a fight with Paula.  A good example would be Whoopi's completely ridiculous arguement about  not wanting women (i.e. Paula) breastfeeding in a restaurant because "she doesn't want to look at that."  When Paula told her to, "look away" Whoopi changed her argument to women who can't breastfeed might be bothered by it.  I thought the whole thing was stupid and she only did it to argue with Paula.  

Same here.   On the other hand, it's a pretty low bar.  I was glad to see Sunny back at the table too.  I think she seems to elevate the conversation.  

My bold.  Yes Cosmo, I meant to mention Sunny's input too.

• Love 4

Why is Paula sitting next to Joy and Sunny is in her seat? I missed the beginning. Was anything said?

Yay to Sen. Murphy for doing something. 

• Love 3

Boy, did Sunny’s smackdown of the two Foxbots (“I love you…”) really smart on them; they made sure to repeat her at least twice throughout the show after that. Then again, they're always seething on this show. I loved how Paula’s NRA question to the senator setup to make Trump sound good blew up in her face.

Of course Paula and Jed thought sportsguy’s wife should shut up and be silent. Isn’t that their opinion on every topic? No wonder Hillary has them so riled up. A powerful woman like Hillary leading the country breaks their entire paradigm.

Now here’s my question: if Paula and Jed only ever get a smattering of applause, why are they being foisted onto the show? If they only represent ¼ of the audience at most, why are they taking up half the table?

• Love 12
(edited)

I can't believe how they twisted Oprah's words to make them seem like she was only for Sec. Clinton because she is a woman and that other women should do the same. 

Actually, I can believe it. This is The View. Jedidiawhatever is still awful. Paula is just...ugh.

Paula and her wingnut friend going on about jobs being important to women(of course they are), and how they hate when women are "reduced to ovaries" was maddening. 

If you have inadequate healthcare or no healthcare at all and get sick what then? A job won't matter if you are dead. As someone who has dealt with health issues and had to work a physical job that made those issues worse, I'd like to tell the both to shut the hell up. I am grateful to any politician who is fighting for women's health and rights. 

And to Sunny's point, a woman would bring a unique perspective to what a woman needs but I don't think those like Sarah Palin would do the same as a Clinton but ymmv. 

Edited by May Jacks
  • Love 12
(edited)

Now here’s my question: if Paula and Jed only ever get a smattering of applause, why are they being foisted onto the show? If they only represent ¼ of the audience at most, why are they taking up half the table?

That's easy.  The producers don't want anything fair or balanced, they don't want any kind of adult conversation, they want conflict, pure, unadulterated in-your-face conflict.  And they'll do anything to get it, like hiring two talking point, born-again christians and putting them on the same panel with a former Hollywood star who can barely spit out a point and a thirty-something former child star who didn't focus on her education in her youth.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 7
49 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

If you mean the studio audience, keep in mind it's mostly a NYC crowd and some tourists (both who are probably just looking to get out of the cold/rain/heat etc) so I wouldn't expect more than some polite applause for Jed's right wing views.  

I'm not sure about Jed, but Paula is there clearly for her ABC News/GMA connection as is Sarah.   She's not going anywhere.  

• Love 2

Joy looked nice in the dress. 

I always enjoy the Friday shows without Whoopi and it was nice only having 4 at the table instead of 5 people. I was surprised they had both guests at the table at the same time. 

Jedidiah can go at any time, but I like Sunny.  She's a bit old fashioned at times, but she seems a bit more open minded and can carry herself in a conversation. 

I'm convinced that Joy looks for any opportunity to use the word "brassiere" in all conversations. 

• Love 9

I have to be honest, the show really worked for me today.

The biggest reason was that Joy was moderating.  It just changes EVERYTHING.  She is smooth and good-natured, introducing the topics without disdain and not dominating the conversation ... how refreshing.  This program is a different show when she is at the helm.  

And having only four people at the table (four people who are not inclined to shout over each other, deliver sermons and lectures, and who have pleasant enough voices and laughs) made a huge difference.  I think the best part was that even though there was a fair amount of disagreement among the panel, they handled it without getting rude ... a whole hour with no one rolling her eyes, sneering, looking askance at the producers and audience to show their disapproval of what i being said ... it was a totally different TV watching experience.  The interview with Senator Chris Murphy was one of the best the show EVER did in my opinion, especially considering it was done over satellite.  You could understand what everyone was saying, the questions were sensible.  It should always be like that.

All that being said, I do wish there was a bit more representation of the "liberal" side of things.  I would vote for this panel to be permanent, but I fear that between the presence of Paula and Jed on the same panel with a somewhat subdued Joy (she tones it down when she moderates) and Sunny (whose positions on the issues swing back and forth depending on the subject), the tighty-righty side would be overwhelming.  But they were on to something today.  Having Joy moderate and using only four people on the panel was a great start.

• Love 16
4 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I have to be honest, the show really worked for me today.

The biggest reason was that Joy was moderating.  It just changes EVERYTHING.  She is smooth and good-natured, introducing the topics without disdain and not dominating the conversation ... how refreshing.  This program is a different show when she is at the helm.  

And having only four people at the table (four people who are not inclined to shout over each other, deliver sermons and lectures, and who have pleasant enough voices and laughs) made a huge difference.  I think the best part was that even though there was a fair amount of disagreement among the panel, they handled it without getting rude ... a whole hour with no one rolling her eyes, sneering, looking askance at the producers and audience to show their disapproval of what i being said ... it was a totally different TV watching experience.  The interview with Senator Chris Murphy was one of the best the show EVER did in my opinion, especially considering it was done over satellite.  You could understand what everyone was saying, the questions were sensible.  It should always be like that.

All that being said, I do wish there was a bit more representation of the "liberal" side of things.  I would vote for this panel to be permanent, but I fear that between the presence of Paula and Jed on the same panel with a somewhat subdued Joy (she tones it down when she moderates) and Sunny (whose positions on the issues swing back and forth depending on the subject), the tighty-righty side would be overwhelming.  But they were on to something today.  Having Joy moderate and using only four people on the panel was a great start.

I came to say everything you said, so there's that ....   The only thing I can add is it was really entertaining & PLEASANT to watch the ladies disagreeing WITHOUT being disagreeable or rude.

• Love 10
(edited)

Why is Paula sitting next to Joy and Sunny is in her seat? I missed the beginning. Was anything said?

No idea! They just walked out and sat that way.

It should have been Joy, the return of the Jedi, Sunny and Paula. It was just awkward. At least airhead Sara Haines wasn't there. If that is the plan for next season I'll watch on Fridays.

Just sit in the right chairs!

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 4

Today was more "tolerable" I cannot deal with Jed & Paula but I like Sunny. 

It was SO nice to not hear "WELCOME TO THE VIEW YA'LL" for the first 10 minutes of the show.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I came to say everything you said, so there's that ....   The only thing I can add is it was really entertaining & PLEASANT to watch the ladies disagreeing WITHOUT being disagreeable or rude.

I agree, even though I find some panelists obnoxious, when Joy is the moderator the show is way less frustrating. I don't need them all to agree but be civil and respectful. 

• Love 12
55 minutes ago, May Jacks said:

I agree, even though I find some panelists obnoxious, when Joy is the moderator the show is way less frustrating. I don't need them all to agree but be civil and respectful. 

The best parts of Joy moderating are the lack of the afore-mentioned bellowing of WELCOME TO THE VIEW, Y'ALL for ten minutes, AND the fact that Joy doesn't pitch a fit when the voice in her ear tells her to go to commercial. Whoopi is THE worst moderator in the history of the show.

• Love 20
1 hour ago, May Jacks said:

I can't believe how they twisted Oprah's words to make them seem like she was only for Sec. Clinton because she is a woman and that other women should do the same. 

Yes, that did piss me off.  Oprah was pretty much saying, vote for Hillary, not based on the Republican/Democrat dichotomy.  I don't think Oprah would say vote for a woman if the candidate was someone like Sarah Palin.   Sunny had a good point, that women's issues will be ignored when women are not represented. I hated Paula today, and Jed  was even worse. 

And yeah, those ZIPPERS seem to be right across Jed's nipples.  What a weird style!

I liked the show today.  As time goes on , I like Sunny more and more.  I think it's because she's thoughtful in her opinions.   She doesn't automatically line up on the right or left, she gives her own opinion, not just regurgitating the party line.  And I loved all the joking "I love you, BUT...."

Jed talks about the right to bear arms -  remember that when the Bill of Rights was written, they were NOT talking about automatic weapons, they were talking about MUSKETS. 

• Love 11

How come 900 people here all immediately recognize that Oprah's statement was being mischaracterized but none of the people actually on the stage seem to realize it?  Was it crookedness on the part of certain panelists or laziness?   Was someone trying to twist her words or was everyone just too lazy to watch the actual interview and instead accepted what some production assistant told them she said?  

I'd attribute it to stupidity if it had come from Raven or Candice or even Whoopi. But not this group. They all should know better.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

How come 900 people here all immediately recognize that Oprah's statement was being mischaracterized but none of the people actually on the stage seem to realize it?  Was it crookedness on the part of certain panelists or laziness?   Was someone trying to twist her words or was everyone just too lazy to watch the actual interview and instead accepted what some production assistant told them she said?  

I'd attribute it to stupidity if it had come from Raven or Candice or even Whoopi. But not this group. They all should know better.

Paula deliberately twisted Oprah's words.  She said Oprah was saying vote for Hillary ONLY because she's a woman.  It's a republican talking point, the "woman card,"  Hillary is getting "the women's vote"  , just like Obama got "the Black vote".

• Love 9

Was today the first day that the View INTRO was changed?   I noticed the intro "with Whoopi, Michelle Collins, Joy Behar, Raven Symone and Paula Faris"   Was NOT shown today.

See my post in "The View in The Media"  for the reason.

• Love 1
(edited)

Was today the first day that the View INTRO was changed?   I noticed the intro "with Whoopi, Michelle Collins, Joy Behar, Raven Symone and Paula Faris"   Was NOT shown today.

The intro was shown yesterday. I saw your post in the Media thread.

This show is worse than I thought. Michelle must hate airhead Sara Haines more than I do.

Edited by Vinyasa
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, backformore said:

Paula deliberately twisted Oprah's words.  She said Oprah was saying vote for Hillary ONLY because she's a woman.  It's a republican talking point, the "woman card,"  Hillary is getting "the women's vote"  , just like Obama got "the Black vote".

Paula, like her friend Trump, deals in misinformation. She said the gun store owner had surveillance video of the murderer. Unless this is new information, I have only heard it reported that the FBI had nothing to follow up on, such as a name, phone number, or video. However, I still think the FBI dropped the ball. They could have at least sent someone out to take a statement and try to get a description. I had several small lawn ornaments stolen and my local police department insisted on sending an officer out to take a statement and file a report.

• Love 5

::Grammer Nazi alert::

I was shocked when I heard the highly educated legal prosecutor say "I would have went...". It was right after they showed the clip of the mom spraying water at her kids for the WWYD show.

My son makes this mistake on a daily basis and I am constantly correcting him. The correct phrase is "I would have gone!!!" My son was sitting in the living room while I watched the show and thank goodness he didn't hear her because then he would think he was right. 

• Love 4

I caught that and cringed too, Blissfool.

I loved the answer Sen Murphy gave when Jedidoodah remarked that background checks would not have caught the Orlando killer (thus why bother)?  I would challenge anyone who objects to tell us just how many bad guys need to be caught for stricter laws regarding checks to be worth it.  10? 20?  Personally I think if one terrorist is caught it's worth it. 

• Love 10
6 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

I'm convinced that Joy looks for any opportunity to use the word "brassiere" in all conversations. 

LOL Stacy!  I think you're right.  And it cracks me up every time she says it.  

Celia et al. are right - the show had a completely different tone today and it was nice.  Not only because Joy was moderating (which is most of it) but I liked that all four women at the table were literate - something I'd think was a given but I've been proven wrong countless times (CCB, Sherri, etc. etc)   No one needed to screech or wave their arms to make their points and their opinions all seemed like their own instead of something they read off a blue card or twitter.   I don't need to agree with someone's opinion but I do need for them to express it without making it an absolute or looking at the camera and telling us they don't care what we think. 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I caught that and cringed too, Blissfool.

I loved the answer Sen Murphy gave when Jedidoodah remarked that background checks would not have caught the Orlando killer (thus why bother)?  I would challenge anyone who objects to tell us just how many bad guys need to be caught for stricter laws regarding checks to be worth it.  10? 20?  Personally I think if one terrorist is caught it's worth it. 

I thought it was Paula who said that? Oh wait, she said, since the Feebs didn't bother calling back or checking out, or following up, when the gun store owner called them, then why bother with expanded background searches. Which, STFU, Paula. Loved Senator's Murphy's response.

I'm just too bloody tired to comment on the other bullshit. Just.so.tired.

• Love 1

Chicago - old post of mine that never got through......discovered when I came to post this - 

I actually like Sara. I don't think she is a bimbo or an airhead. I notice that she actually listens - rather than so anxious to make a comment ....or look down her nose like Raven does when she immediately decides a conversation is not worthy.

• Love 7
15 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I thought it was Paula who said that?

You are probably right, GHScorpios.  When Jed and Paula are playing tag team smug conservative it's hard to tell them apart.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, May Jacks said:

Paula and her wingnut friend going on about jobs being important to women(of course they are), and how they hate when women are "reduced to ovaries" was maddening. 

I believe study show that countries that embrace leaders of both gender have a more equal health care and more universal health care.  We really fall far behind other countries in health care.

7 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I thought it was excellent too.  Loved his comment of not letting the NRA decide our fate.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

I actually like Sara. I don't think she is a bimbo or an airhead. I notice that she actually listens - rather than so anxious to make a comment ....or look down her nose like Raven does when she immediately decides a conversation is not worthy.

Same here. I mean, unless the definition of airhead has changed, I just don't see it. Like, at all. The only time I see her reading from the blue cards, is when she's reading a quote from someone, and it's not all the time, like with cough*Paula*cough*Raven*cough. Or who can't speak coherently or in a coherent sentence, cough*Raven*cough. I'm not a fan of her sucking up to Whoopi, or don't agree with her on some things, but when she's talking, she makes sense, in that, it's not word salad.

• Love 15
25 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

Chicago - old post of mine that never got through......discovered when I came to post this - 

I've always liked Sara, even back to the KLG and Hoda show.  I don't see bimbo or airhead either.  I do think she is having some issues with motherhood.  Maybe she's just tired and has to pull it together and be public.

• Love 7

Sara admitted to "issues" when she was pregnant & expressed how she would feel hysterical if prevented from breast feeding, so I think she's doing a stellar job contributing to the conversations in an intelligent & cogent way.

• Love 8

No Whoopi, so I didn't shout at the TV once. Relaxed viewing, what a concept.

It was annoying how Oprah's statement was misrepresented. Not an Oprah fan, but even I know she wouldn't be that obtuse. Wonder if Paula is as upset with GOP who support Trump only because he's Republican, or when any white male always votes for a white male. Joy should have straightened everyone out. But, I forgive her because of the wonderful interview with the impressive Senator Chris Murphy. Keeping an eye on this fellow for potential future Prez material.

I like Sara just fine, too, btw. So far, so good.

• Love 10

The View Facebook page keeps promoting that "hilarious" clip that Whoopi made the producers show us in slo-mo of Ravens hair falling down. Stop trying to pretend she's endearing, Whoopi! (I blame her. Especially since Michelle's goodbye letter specifically thanks Whoopi.. it's clear she has the clout to have gotten them both the job).

• Love 3

Nicolle and now Michelle both made special mention of Whoopi when they left. I don't think Miss Whoopi has been all that helpful to either one of them. She's out for number one always has been, always will be. When Raven leaves (I hope the rumors are true) then we'll see what she has to say.

• Love 1

It's official...I just read on Facebook that Michelle is toast. She is NOT coming back for another season.

Now....if we could only get rid of: Whoopi, Raven, Jedi, Candace and Paula. Maybe...just maybe a slim chance to save this shit storm. 

I did say "maybe."

I swear...every time Paula defends Trump, I feel my head will explode.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, geekburger said:

The View Facebook page keeps promoting that "hilarious" clip that Whoopi made the producers show us in slo-mo of Ravens hair falling down. Stop trying to pretend she's endearing, Whoopi! (I blame her. Especially since Michelle's goodbye letter specifically thanks Whoopi.. it's clear she has the clout to have gotten them both the job).

But not to keep it, LOL.   One of the reasons I love Joy on this show is she doesn't need to fan worship Whoopi - not that she ever did.  She's respectful in a co-worker way and that's it.   I wish these newcomers could learn that.  I already see Sara Haines joining the Whoopi Fan Club.  

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Cosmocrush said:

But not to keep it, LOL.   One of the reasons I love Joy on this show is she doesn't need to fan worship Whoopi - not that she ever did.  She's respectful in a co-worker way and that's it.   I wish these newcomers could learn that.  I already see Sara Haines joining the Whoopi Fan Club.  

Sara sees what Paula has to go through with Whoopi and decided to kiss up to the EGOT. Another reason for me to dislike Whoopi. So unprofessional to expect the rest of the panel to kiss up to you. Joy, on the other hand, wants respect as any professional should. When Joy got up to show everyone her dress yesterday with Paula urging her on you could tell she really didn't want to. Almost shy in a way. Joy can be so endearing. Whoopi who looks like a potato sack and those hideous shoes she wears loves to show off whatever crap she's wearing. 

• Love 8
(edited)

And while we are on the subject, Joy's hair is looking so good!  I am jealous of her thick curls which I don't think includes hairpieces or she probably would have mentioned it.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
forgot the "s"
  • Love 8
On 6/17/2016 at 4:20 PM, Blissfool said:

::Grammer Nazi alert::

I was shocked when I heard the highly educated legal prosecutor say "I would have went...". It was right after they showed the clip of the mom spraying water at her kids for the WWYD show.

My son makes this mistake on a daily basis and I am constantly correcting him. The correct phrase is "I would have gone!!!" My son was sitting in the living room while I watched the show and thank goodness he didn't hear her because then he would think he was right. 

Blissfool, I think Sunny is probably aware of the correct usage and was code switching.  A large number of middle class White teens code switch to Ebonics if I'm judging by  the kids I know  and see on tv.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Morgalisa said:

Blissfool, I think Sunny is probably aware of the correct usage and was code switching.  A large number of middle class White teens code switch to Ebonics if I'm judging by  the kids I know  and see on tv.

Oh ,God, please let it stop!  I'm a teacher.  

• Love 6

I had Thursday's episode on DVR and I counted WHoopi's "Welcome to the View's"   Nine.  Nine times, as she pointed to different segments of the audience.  Yeah, it used to be  2 or 3 times, then 5 or 6, now NINE.  WTF?

• Love 9