Type keyword(s) to search

Would You Watch PoI If It Had A New Team?

(edited)

With last night's episode (June 7, Synechdoche, S5E11), there has been a LOT of talk in these parts and in other regions of the Internet that it was a backdoor pilot for new versions of PoI. "Who else works for The Machine?" It is a fascinating concept.

So, if...IF...the major players (except Fusco OR Shaw) kick it at or by season's end, would you watch whatever iteration Nolan and Plageman would come up with, assuming there is a wide enough crack in the door to do so? Specifically:

* Could you see Logan Pierce as the new Finch-type character?

* Would Joey Durban make a fully believable, watchable Man in the Suit?

* Would Harper Rose be a suitable replacement for Root or a Root-like character (I can't believe I'm even writing this sentence/question)?

* Could this sustain itself over the course of a season or two?

This is not to speak against the actors or the characters, and indeed, who else would be another set of assets The Machine might have had? Could it be a sort of "The Machine Diaries," where each week is dedicated to one of several teams. My only concern is rebooting the franchise in a way that not necessarily tarnishes it, but the new version doesn't do well by comparison. Other shows have ended and have had subsequent spin-offs that underperformed.

FWIW, in my opinion, the best chance PoI had for a spinoff was when they introduced Shaw. I'm not as big a fan of extending a franchise out too much. It is hard to beat the original of anything.

Added: I edited this earlier after some additional thought to include possible iterations ("The Machine Diaries") and concern about effect on a posthumous spin-off so to speak.

Edited by DeepRunner

This doesn't answer each of your questions, but:

if

-a- the writing was strong

&

-b- the acting was strong,

then,

yes I would watch with a new TeamMachine - providing it didn't, as you say become extended too much. 

They wouldn't necessarily need to keep to Pierce, Durban and Rose.  There could be several weeks with them and then several weeks with a new (in whole or in part) group of previously saved numbers.

Speaking for myself (as a long-time loyal fan of the show), there is NO WAY IN THE WORLD I would watch that spin-off with those characters.  They smirk way too much, especially Harper Rose. 

• Love 2

I originally signed onto this show as a huge fan of the Finch/Reese duo, especially as brought to life by Emerson and Caviezel.   The first season, when the show was as much about developing the relationship between Finch and Reese as it was about the Machine, remains my favorite by far.  I would be highly unlikely to watch a reboot.

• Love 7

I would probably give it a chance because of the writing team (if they were the same.) But these characters don't excite me in and of themselves to see in action. Maybe if they brought on one of our members, but even then it would probably be loyalty viewing.

I started watching POI because of Taraji and then Shahi and eventually Amy was a huge draw. I probably would not watch a 2.0 unless there were actors in it that are irresistible to me. I usually stay away from "complicated" shows like this.  

Never say never, I guess. 

• Love 1

I wouldn't. My experience of spinoffs and reboots has been overwhelmingly disappointing and failed attempts seem to taint the original. Might be good for new viewers, though.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, DeepRunner said:

With last night's episode (June 7, Synechdoche, S5E11), there has been a LOT of talk in these parts and in other regions of the Internet that it was a backdoor pilot for new versions of PoI.

kind of pointless to make a back door pilot when the mother show has been cancelled.

Wouldn't the evolution/unleashing of the Machine change the concept of the show?  I'm in it mainly for Finch's story and relationship with the Machine, so the idea of a spin-off doesn't do much for me. I don't really care about the numbers.  

• Love 2

I'd check it out. I watched POI to begin with because of Michael Emerson but POI will be gone and I'll be looking for other things to watch.

15 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Personally, I was "in it" for Jim Caviezel & the other cast members grew on me.  I'm not a fan of spin-offs, so .....

Same here, I only ever started watching because of Caviezel. Emerson grew on me because I hated his character on Lost (ducks). But while I did enjoy seeing those old numbers show up to help "our" team, I would not be interested in a show with them or anyone else as the main characters.

• Love 3

If it is the same writers/directors etc, Reese/Finch/Fusco/Shaw with Root as the voice of the machine ....I can't imagine watching without them ...but I'd give it a chance to add other teams and develop with the core group....

Most likely not.  But then again, if the creators are smart enough to come up with unique "hooks" that make me interested in watching, I am in.

I guess what I am saying is I will treat PoI spinoff like any other new show on TV today

I like the show and think that ME is an amazing actor. I never thought and still don't think Caviezel is a good actor, but his character grew on me. Without ME it would not be as good, but I can see a spinoff being better than much of the other long running crap on CBS (imo) with the right writers and intriguing characters. In short, I would give it a shot.

As with most ensemble shows I watch though, it is not always about what the premise of the show is about but more about the "family" of characters. POI is one of those shows, and there is no replacing that family of characters.

• Love 5

I seriously doubt that there's going to be a "POI: Los Angeles" ala NCIS or CSI, but I'd give the show a chance.  The creative team from POI has earned serious "brand loyalty" from me to the point that I'll give anything they do a decent chance.

• Love 1

It seems to me that without Finch, the Machine's father, full of angst and worry about she can do vs what she should do, and to tie into the history of it all, it would just be so different.  It should be different, of course, but I don't know about that different.  And some of these new team characters do annoy me.  That said, since I ended up not hating Shaw and Root, and I have previously hated everything I've ever seen those actresses do (although they do seem like fun and lovely people that I'd like to hang out), I might give it a chance.  Stranger things have happened.

• Love 1

I started watching because of Taraji, so I'd definitely watch a spin off without any of the current cast, although I would like Shaw to show up. I think this crew would be interesting as they aren't special ops, so it would be interesting to see how they go about extricating their numbers through personality, strategy and wit.

(edited)

Because of his ability to make me end up having so much empathy for Benjamin Linus, the sole reason I checked out the show was because I was curious to see Michael Emerson in a completely different role. Then I discovered Jim Caviezel, who had apparently escaped my radar until then, and his hotness gave me another great reason to stick with it! Before the first season was even over it had become one of my favorite shows. I particularly liked their relationship in the early days, when Reese is so moved that Finch gave him a new and positive purpose in life. They ARE the show, and another cast has no appeal for me.

Having said that, I would watch a spin-off about Root and Shaw fighting crime. However, that's obviously not going to happen. (Although, I could easily fanwhank a major retcon!) 

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 1
(edited)

I too mainly watched this show because Michael Emerson was in it (I actually tried out quite a few shows with "Lost" actors and writers, many of them horrible). I almost quit after one episode because it was so violent, but I did like John, so I stuck around.  A show with a random team wouldn't work for me.  Harold's story of how he created The Machine and the things he went through are a huge part of what made the mythology interesting.  It was also a good contrast with John's completely different backstory.  I feel like another team saving numbers could just result in a bunch of repeat storylines.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 5

Why would they produce a spin-off, if they think the original isn't worthy of renewal?

Or put another way, why would I reward them for cancelling PoI, by watching PoI-Lite?

• Love 8

Main reason I tuned in was "The guy from Lost, the ridiculously good looking Jesus (I will own that blasphemy) and that chick I know from somewhere AND it's not the standard CBS fare."

Spin off?  Probably.  But if the DC team was the original recipe team, I don't know if I would have watched. 

• Love 1
(edited)

What makes the characters so unique and compelling is because they are all damaged, in one way or another and to varying degrees. Their connections to one another are like lifelines, and they've become a sort of malformed family. Contrast that with the new team we briefly met, who appear to be happy go-lucky and not likely to lack close, stable relationships. I don't think they could ever even remotely comprehend or reach the level of the intimate knowledge and communication that Finch and Root had with the Machine.

Edited by Scout Finch
  • Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, Scout Finch said:

Having said that, I would watch a spin-off about Root and Shaw fighting crime. However, that's obviously not going to happen. (Although, I could easily fanwhank a major retcon!) 

I would watch the shit out of a spin-off cyber-punk show set in the future with Shaw fighting crime, guided by Root/The Machine and Her omniscient perception of the world, as Humanity starts to take the next evolutionary steps.

Edited by Agent Dark
  • Love 4

When a show goes off the air, and they try to build on the legacy, it doesn't always end well. Joanie Loves Chachi, After M*A*S*H*, Joey, etc. all tried to take players from popular shows and stand them up on their own. Tank city. There have been some successful ones (Frasier, for example). NCIS (from JAG) had a backdoor pilot, but then, the show has lost a step and its dialogue has always been a bit stilted. 

The difficulty I would have with a version 2.0 is, I would long for Reese and Finch and Root and Shaw and Carter and Elias. Introducing minor characters as assets of The Machine was at once interesting and cheap. It was unfulfilling and a little bit unbelievable because it was those three, and not someone found more interesting, like Megan Tillman or the kid from Wolf and Cub or, of course, Zoe Morgan. Shaw and Fusco, yeah, I think if they survive 

Spoiler

and Michael Emerson has said there won't be many survivors

Spoiler

then I would probly watch, because Fusco has earned that loyalty, and Shaw is, well, SHAW. Also with regard to cancellation, CBS cancelled the show. Warner Bros. could put it up on the CW (if partner org CBS would agree) or maybe pitch it to USA Network. And there's always Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon. 

• Love 1

While I would watch an animated series of "The Adventures of Bear" I don't think this particular series should have any type of continuation.  I like close-ended series.  Machine wins or Samaritan wins, or they kill each other off in an epic battle.  No Bobby in Pam's shower, please.  And while I might want to know more about the young Finch and Nathan, I DO NOT want to see the young Prunceface!

• Love 2

A PoI spin-off could be interesting in theory but Team Machine:DC was just too young.  I like my characters with some scars and wrinkles (though maybe not as many as Greer). Now if they mixed it up a bit, with any surviving characters and new assets, maybe... I'd at least give it a chance.  

It's too bad Martine offed Fred Weller.  I definitely would have watched him in PoI:TNG.

21 hours ago, basiltherat said:

While I would watch an animated series of "The Adventures of Bear" I don't think this particular series should have any type of continuation.  I like close-ended series.  Machine wins or Samaritan wins, or they kill each other off in an epic battle.  No Bobby in Pam's shower, please.  And while I might want to know more about the young Finch and Nathan, I DO NOT want to see the young Prunceface!

I would want Bear, with perhaps Clyde from Elementary, on my case than this supposed B-Team.

This show was so unique with the Machine story, the way they slowly evolved Fusco, and the chemistry of ME/JC right off the start that any sort of spin off would just seem like a cheap knock off like they did come off in this past episode. Finch and the Machine are a complicated relationship all its own, you can't recreate that with Pierce using whatever access they may have.  Spin offs only work if they go their own way and you need a really solid character for such a thing that people can trust enough to give a chance, like Angel.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I would watch it, with a few caveats. I'm a big fan of Jimmi Simpson, so I'd definitely be down to see him continuing in the role. Joey is more "meh" for me, though I suspect him being Amy Acker's real life husband was more about why they brought him in for the one shot episode here. Harper is fine, could take or leave her. Wouldn't mind seeing Gen come back (say, if the series were set a few years in the future).

Having said that, if they brought it back like it was in S1 and a chunk of S2, where it was just a POI of the week format, I'd probably pass. I almost gave up on the show, before they switched to the serialized plot.

Edited to add: I would watch the crap out of a spinoff show featuring Zoe being a fixer.

Edited by mad_typist
  • Love 3
On 6/11/2016 at 10:32 AM, Gigi43 said:

I would want Bear, with perhaps Clyde from Elementary, on my case than this supposed B-Team.

This show was so unique with the Machine story, the way they slowly evolved Fusco, and the chemistry of ME/JC right off the start that any sort of spin off would just seem like a cheap knock off like they did come off in this past episode. Finch and the Machine are a complicated relationship all its own, you can't recreate that with Pierce using whatever access they may have.  Spin offs only work if they go their own way and you need a really solid character for such a thing that people can trust enough to give a chance, like Angel.  

If they leave the Machine as still a "young" ASI, in need of some kind of human mentoring, I could maybe watch her interact with another Finch-like character.  Just being a tech billionaire wouldn't cut it though, it would have to be someone that you could see navigating all the philosophical issues still left to work out.

I wonder what Peter MacNicol is doing these days?  :-)   

M3 in Canada just re aired the pilot which I have not seen since it aired.  Now it's airing the episode from this week.  Talk about night and day.  (For one, Reese probably smiled more in the pilot than he does in a full season and seem a bit more flippant in his responses.)  There were some scenes that I drew a full blank on while rewatching such as Finch had people working FOR him just to get Reese out of jail.  A few others parts were "Huh?" considering to what the show evolved to.  But the chemistry between JC and ME was there from minute 1.  And while it sometimes seemed like the standard CBS procedure fare and first sight, it also felt different enough to stand out.  

The other standout to me was finally realizing who JC reminds me of in facial structure: Christopher Reeve.  It only took 15 years.

Hoping we can do a thread comparing the seasons soon enough!  Now that I have several outlets that will air the reruns, I will need to rewatch it and I'm too cheap to buy DVDs. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Hoping we can do a thread comparing the seasons soon enough!  Now that I have several outlets that will air the reruns, I will need to rewatch it and I'm too cheap to buy DVDs. 

We already have one. Scroll down to the bottom. It's Past Seasons discussion, something or other. I'm sure we can compare the seasons over there.

• Love 1

I was also in this at first for the actors, but very quickly became completely drawn into the world/the arc/ whatever you want to call it.

I would absolutely give a spin off show a shot

PROVIDED:

the showrunners and writers are involved.

They have exhibited the highest caliber of good writing, directing, show running and attracting the best talent in production.

If the same group is in charge, yes indeed, I will watch...they know how to 'do' quality television.

10 hours ago, tessaray said:

I would love a Zoe Morgan spin-off too.  (After PoI ends, the only CBS show I'll have is Elementary.)  

A spinoff with Zoe would have the potential to be fun. Scandal without Shonda ruining it. Or the awkward plotlines.

Same with me regarding CBS, them cancelling Limitless made it so the only show I have left is Elementary.

• Love 2

I have been trudging over the Interweb, and

Spoiler
Spoiler

Plageman was quoted by Deadline as saying the final episode will be a bloodbath, which may cause fans to rethink the possibility (or desire, maybe) of having a reboot.

One of my early concerns with the show was that CBS would spin it off to death.  POI LA, POI DC, etc.  I'm glad that never happened and that Person of Interest remained unique as a show and it certainly was unique for CBS.

I think I started watching Person of Interest initially because I was a fan of Michael Emmerson from Lost.  I also found what I had read about the premise intriguing.  I loved the show because of the premise and the whole fun of it and because of Jim Caviezel and Emmerson's characters and their interaction with one another.  Fusco I became a fan of early and I always liked Amy Acker so I liked Root right away.  It took me a while to warm to Carter because it felt like she was shoehorned onto Team Machine initially but I grew to love the character.  Liked Shaw at first, was annoyed with the character for a while and grew to love her too.

I don't think we'll see a spinoff anytime soon.  But I wouldn't be surprised to see it revisited again in a few years as just about every former show is getting revisited now.  If they did a spinoff soon though, I would definitely give it a try.

I think even the best shows have a shelf live, and for every spin off that's worked, there have been a million more that were horrible.

I believe POI could have gone on for a few more years, but this ending is better than the creators trying to milk it for years while ruining all the characters in the process.  I loved Justified's last season.  I hated Lost's.

By the time Lost ended, Sayid's response to them setting off a nuclear bomb to try to reset/fix everything pretty much summed up my feelings.  "Let's do it.  If it works great problem solved, if not we'll all be dead, either way it will finally be over."

• Love 2
On 06/10/2016 at 4:12 AM, Scout Finch said:

What makes the characters so unique and compelling is because they are all damaged, in one way or another and to varying degrees. Their connections to one another are like lifelines, and they've become a sort of malformed family. 

And as I said in the episode thread; an overview shows how they have changed over the course of their relationship....

Now that we reached the end (and deleting my DVR setting to record the show is going to be painful) IF they were to do a reboot now with Shaw as the lead point, then I may be a little more keen on watching.  This chick has seen it all from start to finish.  She suffered a lot of loss from it, but knows what her role is now. 

Plus she owns Bear. 

• Love 2

JJ was asked about POI on a radio show the other week.  The caller said he and his wife had binged the show and loved it.  He then asked him if there were any plans to revive it.  JJ noted that Jonathan Nolan was the creator and was now working on Westworld.  He said he loved the show and that there were more plans for it but the show ended up wrapping up sooner.  He thinks that's going to be how it is until someone inevitably reboots it.

(edited)

One of the local stations has been repeating two eps in a row on saturdays; just watched the series finale and god DAMN but this was a good show--!

that is all. Back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

-off to listen to Metamorphosis 1-

Edited by janeta
  • Love 1

Janeta, our local station plays 2 episodes a week on Sunday afternoon. I started watching this series about 6 months ago and it just finished up the final 2 episodes of the series. What a great series!  Looking forward to seeing how it all started.   (hopefully the station will start the series at the beginning)

• Love 1