Type keyword(s) to search

To Tell The Truth - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

ETA: Do the real people have to give honest answers? Like, what if the real Menu Engineer had answered your question "Comic Sans"?

So funny! Although it's said at the beginning that the real person is the only one guaranteed to tell the truth. Although I know  somewhere, some place, there is a menu created in Comic Sans.

I wonder how much the imposters get to study for their roles. For instance, the first Hooters was in Clearwater, Florida. One said that, the other said Anaheim. What if they both said Clearwater. I guess then they get another different question. So, never mind, I answered my own question.

I find the difference between billiards and pool to be confusing. I looked it up and got even more confused, because then snooker got tossed in. They are all the same, except different. Eh ...

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I've read about research into such things; one study looked at how well the same item sold when it was listed just as what it was (e.g., "lasagna") on one day vs. a more descriptive/evocative name ("homemade lasagna") on another day;

Pick one: "Our homemade lasagna noodles are layered with a rich Roma tomato sauce created with roasted sun-dried tomatoes and imported Portabellini mushroom caps, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and herbes de Provence, topped with hallmark alpine Comté and Emmental cheeses, and baked to a delicious golden brown: $8" vs. "Homemade lasagna: $8"

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Pick one: "Our homemade lasagna noodles are layered with a rich Roma tomato sauce created with roasted sun-dried tomatoes and imported Portabellini mushroom caps, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and herbes de Provence, topped with hallmark alpine Comté and Emmental cheeses, and baked to a delicious golden brown: $8" vs. "Homemade lasagna: $8"

Damn, now I want lasagna.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
40 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

(Though I suppose she could be the only one who actually calls it "engineer" rather than "designer" or something.)

I was sure I'd seen the job description "Restaurant Menu Engineer" when I was looking for employment post-retirement, so I just Googled "Restaurant Menu Engineer" (in quotes) and, yes, it is a job title.
I wonder if the faker knew that and deliberately said she was the only one. Are they coached to give a clue? 

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Maybe this will help change your mind.

PartySize_LasagnaWithMeatSauce.jpg.f4bc18f7b51b48d970518911898a0c29.jpg1547806_oncorlasagna.png.b11ef37044dad8110d68c85a95cea35c.png

Yeah, not that lasagna.

There's a local place that has the best cheese lasagna (and super-thin-crust pizza). Other than Mother's Day (they had a special menu for the day, which did not include lasagna) I haven't done takeout in months. 

I'm composing a grocery list for Monday or Tuesday (I'd rather just go when I'm already out for work than make a separate trip); maybe I'll pick up some ingredients and make it myself. In the mean time, I have meatballs in the freezer so I think spaghetti will be happening this weekend.

• Love 2
(edited)

I have a little fun with reverse psychology when I guess, since otherwise I'm often useless.  I noticed #2's décolletage right away when she was in the lineup for the menu engineer segment, so when it came time to guess the Hooters model I decided it couldn't be her, because they were a bit too obvious.

I see I wasn't the only one thinking about fonts and such, speaking of the menus!  I had to chuckle at "scanning the menu for the second-lowest-priced wine" or whatever that was.  The menus shown during the intro seemed more like the kind you hang over the register than those at a sit-down place, which is where my mind was most of the segment, but I'm not sure whether those were just stock photos or not.

I thought the flossing guy was actually pretty bad at it.  Lots of arms, no legs.  Meh.  The segments about doing whatever on the internet / social media don't really appeal to me very much.

Edited by 853fisher
I haven't eaten enough lasagna today :)
  • Love 3

Lol...i was actually offended that they had the Russell kid on there. He went viral two years ago and I was sure most Americans knew him. He was even on SNL with Katy Perry and appeared in her music video. I think the celebrity contestants already knew who he was and they were just playing along. He didn't fool anyone.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Lol...i was actually offended that they had the Russell kid on there. He went viral two years ago and I was sure most Americans knew him. He was even on SNL with Katy Perry and appeared in her music video. I think the celebrity contestants already knew who he was and they were just playing along. He didn't fool anyone.

I’m not a real SNL or Katy Perry fan, so I’d seen the dance move but didn’t know Russell (aka The Backpack Kid (thefactsite.com/backpack-kid-facts). Gary Cole is probably the same, and possibly Michael Ealy and Sherri Shepard too. I didn’t even know it was called “The Floss,” but probably lots of people who know the dance move’s name or even the “Backpack Kid” moniker didn’t catch the original video or the SNL bit. But it did make it to TMZ in 2018, so maybe some of them did know and were just playing along. Now I want to know if they knew, heh. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I’m not a real SNL or Katy Perry fan, so I’d seen the dance move but didn’t know Russell (aka The Backpack Kid (thefactsite.com/backpack-kid-facts). Gary Cole is probably the same, and possibly Michael Ealy and Sherri Shepard too. I didn’t even know it was called “The Floss,” but probably lots of people who know the dance move’s name or even the “Backpack Kid” moniker didn’t catch the original video or the SNL bit. But it did make it to TMZ in 2018, so maybe some of them did know and were just playing along. Now I want to know if they knew, heh. 

Heard of the dance move (never could do it, though)...never heard of The Backpack Kid. Haven't watched SNL since the 90s.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I obviously missed the SNL ep when Russell The Floss was on as well as his TMZ segment, which I watch regularly, so I didn't have a clue. I did pick him though, and didn't all the celebrities also chose him? So you might be correct about them all recognizing him. I see The Floss everywhere but I've never been up to trying it myself though. Everyone within eye shot thanks me.

(edited)
19 hours ago, 853fisher said:

The menus shown during the intro seemed more like the kind you hang over the register than those at a sit-down place, which is where my mind was most of the segment, but I'm not sure whether those were just stock photos or not.

I never look up when the players are introduced so I totally missed that they showed those wall menus that are all photos and just names of the dish and price. That makes sense then that they all talked about photos. But it made the questions about where do you put the vegan meals or the wine (all upper right?) not make much sense. Still, I picked the right guy, the one none of the celebs wanted to talk to. For some reason they kept focusing on the two busty blond women. Go figure!

Edited by saber5055

If they did know the flosser's identity, on the old shows, they would've been required to recuse themselves.  They would do that from time to time if they had seen someone's picture in the paper or whatever, or on a few occasions because they knew the subject personally.  They'd participate in the questioning but just say at the end that they had to disqualify themselves from guessing.  This was counted as an incorrect vote, for which the team of players received cash back then.  Of course a lot of things have changed, but I'd like to imagine that they'd still be instructed to say so and count themselves out if they knew the answer.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, 853fisher said:

If they did know the flosser's identity, on the old shows, they would've been required to recuse themselves.  They would do that from time to time if they had seen someone's picture in the paper or whatever, or on a few occasions because they knew the subject personally.  They'd participate in the questioning but just say at the end that they had to disqualify themselves from guessing.  This was counted as an incorrect vote, for which the team of players received cash back then.  Of course a lot of things have changed, but I'd like to imagine that they'd still be instructed to say so and count themselves out if they knew the answer.

When Weird Al was on last season, he knew one of the people (the writer of Madonna's "Like a Virgin," IIRC, which he parodied), so he traded seats with Doris and didn't play that round.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
22 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Still, I picked the right guy, the one none of the celebs wanted to talk to. For some reason they kept focusing on the two busty blond women. Go figure!

I noticed that too! Anthony was actually the first to ask him a question. I figured it was him and the ladies would be the Before You Go segment.

• Love 3
On 7/17/2020 at 3:31 PM, saber5055 said:

I wonder how much the imposters get to study for their roles. For instance, the first Hooters was in Clearwater, Florida. One said that, the other said Anaheim. What if they both said Clearwater. I guess then they get another different question. So, never mind, I answered my own question.

This was actually a huge "tell" for me, because I live in Florida and knew that the chain had started in Clearwater. So when the other woman said 
"Anaheim" I immediately knew she was lying. And once the real woman's name was revealed, I recognized her by name. She actually was a pretty big celebrity around the early '90s in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area.

Similarly, I immediately recognized the flossing kid from his appearance with Katy Perry on Saturday Night Live (which was in 2017, not all THAT long ago). This was probably the most number of people I've guessed correctly in any episode. 

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Phishbulb said:

Similarly, I immediately recognized the flossing kid from his appearance with Katy Perry on Saturday Night Live (which was in 2017, not all THAT long ago).

That makes me wonder if they ever get three guests who look similar. Like the flossing kid, if the other two had bleached white hair, wouldn't that make the questions more important and not so easy to recognize the real person if you had seen him/her somewhere else? Like if they had picked two older men for the menu guy and made the two extras be some profession besides Hooter's girls. (Although that would be funny.)

• Love 2

I'm not sure how I feel about this show dumping fake bugs all over Sherri Shepherd twice now and making her lie down on the pool table so the trick shot champion can bounce a cue ball over her. Maybe she's the go-to because she's a known "good sport" but maybe next time dump some fake bugs on Mama Doris instead.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
40 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm not sure how I feel about this show dumping fake bugs all over Sherri Shepherd twice now and making her lie down on the pool table so the trick shot champion can bounce a cue ball over her. Maybe she's the go-to because she's a known "good sport" but maybe next time dump some fake bugs on Mama Doris instead.

I'm assuming/hoping Sheri Shepherd wanted to do that stuff. Otherwise it sounds like an HR/Metoo nightmare moment, and I seriously doubt this show and everyone involved in it wouldn't know better.
That said, I hated both of those bits.

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It also possible Sherri was in on the whole dumping-bugs thing to begin with. I mean, most of these shows are scripted anyway, plus why would Sherri think those were real spiders or bugs anyway. She's that keyed up all the time? Yeah, I don't think so. It's her schtick for this show, like on Funny You Should Ask her deal is flirting with the show host, every time she gets a chance. Which means every time she is allowed to speak.

The dumping fake bugs on Mama Doris is something I could TOTALLY get behind. What a GREAT IDEA! I'd pay to see that. (Except she'd probably ham it up too, worse than Sherri, so there's that downside.)

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2020 at 12:31 PM, saber5055 said:

I wonder how much the imposters get to study for their roles. For instance, the first Hooters was in Clearwater, Florida. One said that, the other said Anaheim. What if they both said Clearwater.

I always just thought when they are backstage waiting to come on they ask the real person questions. I think if the real person is asked a question first the others just say the same answer if asked. But I think the lady with the unbutton shirt was asked first where the first Hooters was?

I had no clue who the floss kid was.

The menu person I was leaning towards the man. I'd like to have that job.

Don't they always dump bugs on Sherri when she's there? She should look up when she sits down.

I thought the kid had the spider in his ear because he said sleepover in a wooden fort or the lady that said storage shed not the one that said grilling.

I got a kick out the one lady on the panel (can't remember her name) that kept trying to change her answer. But wow, Michael has beautiful eyes, he's a handsome man and reminds me of someone but I can't remember who.

• Love 3

Didn't we just see this one recently?

(Yes, we did; I commented on the CIA woman two pages ago, on June 7.)

"Petrie Willink" sounds like it could be a name out of the Hunger Games series, too. (I may be influenced by the fact that I'm currently reading the new prequel.)

Well, the detective who helped catch Aileen Wuornos was easy for me to identify.  We are good friends with the undercover detective who was in the bar with her when she was caught and had been pretending to be her boyfriend for three days.  We've watched the documentary on the ID Channel several times and had seen this detective on there talking about the experience.  Scary.

• Love 2

Mama Doris taking a bite out of (and chewing/swallowing) that cheese sculpture that had been shipped across country and handled multiple times by multiple people was just nasty. But then it's Mama Doris, the poster girl for "nasty."

• Love 3

Well, the detective who helped catch Aileen Wuornos was easy for me to identify. 

It should have been easy for anyone: he was the only one who knew who Ted Bundy was. There's no way any police detective in Florida wouldn't have known who Ted Bundy was! I also pegged the original NSYNC member based on him saying he went to high school with Joey Fatone.

This episode seems like it was recorded earlier than the recent ones aired - there was no girl version of the Dummy crown and we were back to showcasing the Doris "trophy" which had been mercifully absent lately.

Doris was 1 for five this week, although Anthony didn't ask her to guess the Quidditch champion or the cheese sculptor (unless it was edited out).

• Love 5
(edited)

I didn't even think about how unhygienic nibbling from that sculpture probably was.  I just thought it was such an obnoxious thing to do.  Oh, you brought a sculpture of me?  Better take a bite out of it!  If any of the contestants had rolled their eyes, I would've assumed that was the one.  At least it was a very small bite, and the sculptor left Mama's bust out of it for once.

That was an interesting variety of challengers.  It was cool to hear the Quidditch player say that he wasn't a Harry Potter superfan by any means.  It looks like it'd be fun and different with friends regardless of whether I knew the books.  I'm sure I've read about the glitter bomb guy but didn't recognize him.  He looked a bit like Seth MacFarlane.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

t should have been easy for anyone: he was the only one who knew who Ted Bundy was.

He could have also mentioned Danny Rolling, who killed five students at the University of Florida and was known as the "Gainesville Ripper."  He made national news, but was not as notorious as Bundy.  Picking the correct one would also depend on the knowledge of the panel members, who are usually in their own worlds.

• Love 3

Recognized Mark Rober (glitter bomb) right away so it kinda ruined two rounds for me as I had a feeling the guy to the right would be his foe in before you go.

This is probably my favorite panel. Good banter and questions, lots of playful digs at each other. Vivica's face when Joel made the Lifetime movie comment was perfect. 

• Love 3
(edited)
8 minutes ago, lynxfx said:

This is probably my favorite panel. Good banter and questions, lots of playful digs at each other. Vivica's face when Joel made the Lifetime movie comment was perfect. 

I agree, very good panel.  All engaged and funny with no one monopolizing things.  As an aside, I though Nikki's eyes were really popping, not that it particularly affected the gameplay. 😉

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 1
5 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I didn't even think about how unhygienic nibbling from that sculpture probably was.  I just thought it was such an obnoxious thing to do.

My thought was," How dare you ruin my art work!", but I guess that this one was a fresh one made for Doris to trash.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Mama Doris taking a bite out of (and chewing/swallowing) that cheese sculpture that had been shipped across country and handled multiple times by multiple people was just nasty.

Me when she did that: "Ewwww, gross!"

In other words, my usual reaction whenever I see her.

She really does think very highly of herself.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 12:57 PM, lynxfx said:

Recognized Mark Rober (glitter bomb) right away so it kinda ruined two rounds for me as I had a feeling the guy to the right would be his foe in before you go.

I didn't recognize him until the glitter bomb segment. I watched his videos about making the glitter bomb and he's a really smart guy that used to work for NASA. Not only does he put glitter and fart smell in the bomb but also recording of police radio chatter and the audio from the Home Alone movie of the scene Kevin used to scare away the burglars and like 4 phones with GPS so he can recover the bomb after they toss it which they all do. He's also made a few of the bombs and sent them out to his subscribers across the US so they can put them on their porch. These porch pirates are stupid because he uses an expensive looking headphone box and who ships an item in it's original box plus if they read the label it's totally fake and even the product information on the box is a gag. I saw one video where a pirate stole one of his bombs and called his wife and said "honey I just bought you a really nice pair of headphones" and then he opened the box to check them out, ha-ha dummy!

I agree the first name that popped in my head when asked about the Florida serial killer was Ted Bundy.

No please no, the Golden Doris is back?

• Love 3
On 7/31/2020 at 1:17 PM, iMonrey said:

It should have been easy for anyone: he was the only one who knew who Ted Bundy was. There's no way any police detective in Florida wouldn't have known who Ted Bundy was!

Yeah, living in Florida has really paid off dividends lately watching the show. There's no way anyone living in Florida in the '90s (or, really, anyone LIVING back then, it was a national news story) wouldn't know about Ted Bundy.

• Love 1
On 8/1/2020 at 10:19 PM, lambertman said:

I see the chesse lady every year at the Indiana State Fair (well, not this year), so that was fun. 

I would think she'd be a staple at the Wisconsin state fair. And she could do a Cheese Cow to compete with the Butter Cow at the Iowa fair. I was surprised I'd never heard of her.

Wow, how can anyone not have heard of Ted Bundy?

• Love 1
On 8/3/2020 at 9:56 AM, Phishbulb said:

Yeah, living in Florida has really paid off dividends lately watching the show. There's no way anyone living in Florida in the '90s (or, really, anyone LIVING back then, it was a national news story) wouldn't know about Ted Bundy.

7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Wow, how can anyone not have heard of Ted Bundy?

I have definitely heard of Ted Bundy, but after all these years, him being from Florida didn’t come to mind.  So it made sense to me that only the real guy got that right. 

On a related thought, I wonder how much backstory and/or time to research the imposters get. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

They said he had interviewed them on GMA, I think.

If you also notice when they revealed all of them, you saw a look on Michael's face that was: "Oh yes, I remember these guys."

• Love 2
13 hours ago, helpmerhonda said:

They said he had interviewed them on GMA, I think.

Yes, that's right.  It occurred to me that, if I were a producer on this show, the morning shows would be good places to look for people with with interesting stories to tell.

I thought this was another really fun episode.  As much as I don't care for Doris' shtick, it is fun to see someone win the prize.

I would have absolutely sworn that #3 from the backup singer round was someone I had seen singing before, so no Doris for me.  I did think that #1 looked a lot like Dolly, down to the beauty mark on her chin, so I was delighted when they said she was an impersonator.

The strongman was quite a showman.  He and the impostors got in a couple of good lines that round.  It was interesting to learn more about the Coppertone baby too.  I would've guessed the campaign was a few decades older than she was.

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, readster said:

If you also notice when they revealed all of them, you saw a look on Michael's face that was: "Oh yes, I remember these guys."

They were my guess by the way they answered the question about their kids' names at the same time.

42 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

The strongman was quite a showman.  He and the impostors got in a couple of good lines that round.  

I loved that the one guy's "I'm not a strongman champ but..." was "I have kittens."

• Love 2