Type keyword(s) to search

To Tell The Truth - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I want to hear from the celebrities on the panel, Doris. Not you.

Exactly!! and she said it with a put-down facial expression. She ruined this fun show for me.  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Sword swallower. Just . . . no. No. NO.

I suddenly needed something from the kitchen when she started to demonstrate.

(I leave the room for all those kinds of "danger" acts on AGT, too. Can't watch.)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Here's his website

Thank you ams1001 :-) I found a few painting I would love to have but they cost too much for me to buy but wow beautiful.  He had a lot of paintings of people/faces how does a blind man know where to place the eyes, nose or anything on a face? I would really like to watch him paint, I'm just amazed at what he's able to do.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Thank you ams1001 🙂 I found a few painting I would love to have but they cost too much for me to buy but wow beautiful.  He had a lot of paintings of people/faces how does a blind man know where to place the eyes, nose or anything on a face? I would really like to watch him paint, I'm just amazed at what he's able to do.

He didn't lose his vision until 2001. (According to wikipedia he would have been 30.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bramblitt

• Useful 2

I wonder when these episodes were taped...this one ended with a dedication in memory of Allee Willis (the songwriter). I looked her up and she passed away in December 2019.

I did get her right. She looked vaguely familiar; I guess I've seen her before somewhere. The others...I wasn't really trying to guess. 

• Love 2

This episode had way too much Mama Doris.  She asked so many questions I wondered why they even bothered with the panel.  

I knew the final one because I had seen her before linked to the Friends song. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I think this show is such good fun.  I really and glad I started watching it.

Sad to see that Allee passed away.  I think it might have been not at all long after the taping, since I don't think the show was renewed until November?

Heidi Moneymaker is such a great name that I had to look it up and see if it's the one she was born with.  It was, and she's not the only stunt performer in the family either!

The model from the shark segment was pretty but so vacant, bless him.  I wonder how many of the imposters are aspiring actors?  Many if not most, I'd guess.  The redhead from the Bigfoot bit reminded me of someone so I looked up his IMDB and he's been in a few things.

Finally, I really liked this panel.  I like the questions focusing on a specific bit of trivia.  Sometimes you can just get a sense for the way they react to the question, other times you might know what the answer really is, and in a few rare cases, "pico." 🙂

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 3

The blink and you miss it Bigfoot in the audience was great. 

Only got the shark and song writer. Picked the shark wrangler because he looked just like that actor from Deep Blue Sea. 

• Love 1
21 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I did get her right. She looked vaguely familiar; I guess I've seen her before somewhere. The others...I wasn't really trying to guess. 

I knew her because she was profiled on CBS Sunday Morning. 🌞 It was not very long before her death. 

• Useful 1

I wonder when these episodes were taped...this one ended with a dedication in memory of Allee Willis (the songwriter). I looked her up and she passed away in December 2019.

I think they recorded these last summer. I remember the the last batch of episodes were about a year old too. I'm not sure why they are taped so far in advance - it seems like the network hangs onto them until they decide when to air them. Probably as a backup option in case they have to fill a slot somewhere. 

This episode had way too much Mama Doris.  She asked so many questions I wondered why they even bothered with the panel. 

There is always too much Doris. She only got one right guess this time though, so apparently someone has either put a stop to her cheating or else she just throws it now. Also, Anthony didn't even ask her to guess the Black Widow stunt double or the song writer.

I did guess the shark wrangler, just based on the size of his arms. You'd have to be pretty ripped to spend 6-8 hours reeling in a shark.

How do you write music if you don't play an instrument? 

I'd never heard of either of the two female panelists before, but both were smart players. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 6/19/2020 at 5:44 PM, ams1001 said:

Apparently I blinked... 😆

At the end of the show when all the contestants and panelists are in a crowd talking, Bigfoot was there, too, dancing around.

On 6/20/2020 at 11:27 AM, iMonrey said:

There is always too much Doris.

I can just imagine how many times the producers or directors have cornered Anthony to tell him to tell Doris to tone it down.  Everyone likes Madea in small increments.  Come to think of it, Madea would be great on the show.  BTW, Anthony and Doris are now on a commercial for a mobile phone.

How do you write music if you don't play an instrument? 

Music teacher here.  Songs are simply poems set to music or a beat.  Allee Willis wrote the lyrics and others wrote the music,  just like Rodgers and Hammerstein or Elton John and Bernie Taupin.  I'm sure she contributed by humming or singing the tunes that needed tweaking.  She had an interesting life and was gifted in many disciplines, according to her bio.

Edited by Babalooie
Changed wording.
  • Love 1

I think they recorded these last summer. I remember the the last batch of episodes were about a year old too. I'm not sure why they are taped so far in advance - it seems like the network hangs onto them until they decide when to air them. Probably as a backup option in case they have to fill a slot somewhere.

I'm honestly glad they did, as it's nice to see "new" programming this summer. I know it's not really new, but it's pleasant to watch shows with live audiences again that aren't recorded over Zoom!

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

Allee Willis wrote the lyrics and others wrote the music,

Oh. Well, then it's a little misleading to call her a "songwriter" if she only writes the lyrics. Shouldn't she be called a lyricist? I know it's probably technically correct to call her a songwriters, but still . . .

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

The good news is they seem to have addressed Doris's cheating this season. Out of the five contestants, Anthony only asked her to guess on the first two, and she was wrong about both. He didn't even ask her about the social media star, the professional wingman or the creator of the Cha Cha slide. Unless they edited it out.

Yikes. The imposter social media star/professional wingman - what did he do to his face? Way too much plastic surgery or something. Didn't he look a lot like Caitlyn Jenner?

I really enjoyed this panel. Rita Moreno is always entertaining and Deon Cole was a hoot.

• Love 4

I seldom watch this show because of Mama Doris, I can't tolerate her, and because of her I no longer care for Anthony Anderson. Is it in his contract somehow that if he's on, she has to be as well? If so, I'd be good with a new host. End of that story.

Then last night I tune in for the first time in weeks and am greeted with Anthony making boob jokes about his mother.

JUST SAY NO, SHOW. But hey, let's see the Doris Award AGAIN instead of the guests or the celebrities. You know, the statuette that emphasizes Mama's big SAGGING boobs.

Oh, so funny, stop me, I can't help laughing. NOT.

If all the Mama crap was cut out, the celebrities would actually have time to ask more than three questions total of the panelists. You know, the part of the show I tune in to see. *sigh*

• Love 7

The archery thing was misleading....which I guess is fair game. #2 for that one, who referred to herself as an actress, is also an archer. She doesn't hold the record #1 does and the other details from the letter, but she's been in movies and TV shows shooting a bow and arrow. So any of the questions intended to try to figure out who actually knows archery or not wouldn't have worked. I thought the editing made it seem like #1 but I thought I'd seen #2 with a bow, so I briefly wondered if it was going to turn out that all 3 were archers to some extent, and it was only the details about the record that mattered.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I thought it was a great fake-out when #3 got all "Oh, uh, oh!  Please don't touch!" anxious when Anthony got too close to the taxidermy on display.  It seemed genuine to me, like an artist truly would be if someone were to be fondling their delicate creation just to make a gag on a game show.  I was going with #1 until that moment.  However, he looked too-too good, like he was from central casting, so I discounted him until that moment.  Well played, sir.  Well played....

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Rita Moreno was a treat.  She first appeared on the show back in the 60s and did it again during the 70s and 80s.  Who else have they had who'd been on past versions?  I didn't see the first several seasons but I know Betty White did it.

I know not everyone is a constipated suburban Catholic, but I really can't imagine making jokes about my mother's bust (see, I can't even type b-o-o-b, that's just how repressed we are!) or the crack at the end: "like many men before you, you are going to get to take home my mother."  I also find all that very strange.  I actually liked the to-do about the award for guessing right all four times, but that doesn't need to be about her!

I really liked the way #2 from the archer's round kept letting #3 know what was going on that she couldn't see, without making a big thing about it.  She seemed like a kind person.  Elsewhere in the show, it seemed strange not to get the social media person's handle.

17 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

The archery thing was misleading....which I guess is fair game. #2 for that one, who referred to herself as an actress, is also an archer.

This is interesting.  I wonder why not mention that?  The way they handle the impostors is a bit inconsistent, I've noticed.  Sometimes they give their last name, sometimes no.  Sometimes they give an occupation, sometimes just a little unrelated joke.  In the old days, it was fun to find out that so-and-so was really a banker or teacher or whatever.

I've come to the conclusion that they want to avoid drawing attention to the fact that many of the participants now are aspiring/working actors.  The redhead from the "I ate a taco every day" bit earlier in the season said he worked at Taco Bell, but he looked familiar so I Googled him and found a pretty respectable IMDB page.

The guy from this week's dating coach segment also looked familiar too.  I'm still not sure whether I've actually seen him before: I live in San Francisco and, believe me, once you've seen one guy with that look, you've seen them all.  At any rate, he's an actor, stand-up comedian, and podcaster.

It doesn't bother me a bit that so many of these folks seem to come, literally, from Central Casting.  Compared to the older shows, they present a lot more of an original story rather than trying to copy the details of the real person's biography without being detected, so I can see why that might require different skills or people.  But the way they seem to go out of their way to avoid it seems a bit odd to me.

• Love 7

The archery guy stumped me since I remember using 25-lb. bows in high school gym class so thought he was bogus when he said his was 65-lb. (I think). But I guess a competition bow would be that weight, so fool me. If I had been more with it about bow weight, I might have chosen him.

Didn't the fake taxidermy guy say he got his award in Peoria, Illinois? I looked it up and indeed, the big taxidermy show was there a few years ago. So he lied and told the truth all at once!

11 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Didn't the fake taxidermy guy say he got his award in Peoria, Illinois? I looked it up and indeed, the big taxidermy show was there a few years ago. So he lied and told the truth all at once!

Yes, he did!  It caught my attention because some of my pianist friends played for years there in an annual ragtime contest.  I have yet to hear of Peoria in the context of, like, day-to-day life and have become convinced that nobody really lives here, it's just a place to have unusual conventions and competitions and so on.  Anyway, I thought all those impostors were fairly convincing.

• LOL 3
9 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Yes, he did!  It caught my attention because some of my pianist friends played for years there in an annual ragtime contest.

LOL! It caught my attention because I live an hour north of Peoria. The old saying to see if an act was any good on Vaudeville was, "Yes, but will it play in Peoria?"

1 hour ago, HurricaneVal said:

I thought it was a great fake-out when #3 got all "Oh, uh, oh!  Please don't touch!" anxious when Anthony got too close to the taxidermy on display.  It seemed genuine to me, like an artist truly would be if someone were to be fondling their delicate creation just to make a gag on a game show.  I was going with #1 until that moment.  However, he looked too-too good, like he was from central casting, so I discounted him until that moment.  Well played, sir.  Well played....

I thought that, too, then I remembered...he's allowed to lie! Kinda genius of him. (I also thought if it was really important that he not touch them, Anthony would have been told not to ahead of time.) I already knew it was #2 because she was on the Ologies podcast not super-long ago. I like to look at the website when I listen because there's usually a picture of the person on the episode's page and I like to see what they look like. Allis Markham has a pinup-girl vibe in hers which is totally not what I pictured.

56 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I really liked the way #2 from the archer's round kept letting #3 know what was going on that she couldn't see, without making a big thing about it.  She seemed like a kind person. 

I noticed that, too. That was nice.

I thought it was interesting that none of them asked how they lost their arms/vision. It usually comes up when someone has an obvious disability.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I really enjoyed this panel. Rita Moreno is always entertaining and Deon Cole was a hoot.

I agree, I really enjoyed this panel. And just like Deon, I too saw the cat lady on the clip they showed when Anthony was reading the card. And by the way, I will never consider someone on the internet or someone that does reality tv shows a star. Never!

The last 2 men didn't even get to introduce themselves because we had to have the whole Deon won the Doris award crap and then the song/dance.

Rita was a good sport. Anthony put the crown on her for "worst player" and she frowned then started dancing:-)

What a weird relationship Anthony has with his mom. I don't understand why he wants her there, and I wonder if she's getting paid, but the Doris statue is just dumb. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

But hey, let's see the Doris Award AGAIN instead of the guests or the celebrities. 

And every time Anthony introduces the Doris Award at the beginning of the show, Doris cackles like it's the first time she's seen it.

And just like Deon, I too saw the cat lady on the clip they showed when Anthony was reading the card. 

I'd have to go back and check, but I don't think that was her. At the time it seemed like it was a boy with a similar haircut. Hard to believe the show would make a mistake like that.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I'd have to go back and check, but I don't think that was her. At the time it seemed like it was a boy with a similar haircut. Hard to believe the show would make a mistake like that.

You're right; maybe that's why they used that particular video, because for the few second you see the person, you would mostly just retain that they resemble one of the people on the stage. And really it's her cat that's the star, not her.

I also love Rita. Her dancing after he put the crown on her was cute.

And I'm sure Doris is getting paid. According to Parade, "The idea to have Anderson and Mama Doris team up came after they appeared together on an episode of Celebrity Family Feud. To Tell the Truth was in pre-production at that time and the audience’s reaction to their interplay on Feud was such that a TV star was born and Mama Doris got a gig."

• Useful 3
On 6/27/2020 at 2:01 PM, ams1001 said:

"The idea to have Anderson and Mama Doris team up came after they appeared together on an episode of Celebrity Family Feud. To Tell the Truth was in pre-production at that time and the audience’s reaction to their interplay on Feud was such that a TV star was born and Mama Doris got a gig."

So I guess it's the Celebrity Family Feud audience that's to blame. Thanks a lot you dumbasses.

• LOL 8

I watched tonight for Jeremy Sisto. He looked so great I was wondering if he's been taking Benjamin Button Vitamins.

They had: a house flipper, an original Chippendale's dancer, a parkour champion, a professional armpit sniffer and a princess costume designer.

The Original Chippendale Dancer was surprisingly delightful when he did his moves for the audience. They began in 1979, so he'd have to be at least 60, and he looked older and wasn't too trim, but still, very charming. 

The young house flipper is as cute as a bug's ear and it was really refreshing to see her capitalizing on real world skills and smarts instead of the usual entertainment or sports that most of the cute kids who are trotted out on national TV are doing.

The parkour champion was kind of given away to the the TV audience during the intro when the camera landed on his face as Anthony Anderson was reading about his award and he smiled with obvious pride. Maybe they left that in on purpose since the celebrities didn't guess him.

• Love 5

Original Chippendale dancer...I kinda wanted to see imposter #2 tap dance, too. #1 was the best-looking of the three so I figured it wasn't him.

The house flipper's feet didn't even touch the floor. She was too cute.

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The parkour champion was kind of given away to the the TV audience during the intro when the camera landed on his face as Anthony Anderson was reading about his award and he smiled with obvious pride. Maybe they left that in on purpose since the celebrities didn't guess him.

I noticed that, too.

I love how they got all worked up over the Swiss guy pronouncing a French word.

• Love 3

This was the first time I can remember where no one picked the correct person for THREE of the contests. Yikes! And I didn't think the panel was bad at questioning, either (although I did wish certain questions had been answered by all the contestants).

I love Jeremy Sisto, too. He seemed to be enjoying himself much more here than on Hollywood Game Night

• Love 4

I thought the ten-year old house flipper was a little too precocious. She has a book about businesses for kid entrepreneurs and that's great, but house flipping? Yeah, if your parents happen to have enough money to loan you to buy a whole damn house. How likely is that? Even if they're just providing the downpayment and taking on the mortgage, they're actually the ones taking the financial risk. Not the kid. It felt like she was a bit overindulged if you ask me. 

I don't know why they need a fancy word for "parkour." Just call him what he is - a daredevil. 

Mama Doris was only 2 for 5. I'm resigned that she's not going anywhere, so I'm trying to tolerate her as best as I can. I think it would work better if Anthony just didn't ask her to guess, ever. I don't like her calling any of the panelists "dummy" when so many of her "guesses" have been cheats.

• Love 5
(edited)
11 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I love Jeremy Sisto, too. He seemed to be enjoying himself much more here than on Hollywood Game Night

Definitely this.  I was a little disappointed when on HGN he seemed to want to be literally anywhere else.  I was happy to see him in a different light here.  I really liked him on original flavor Law & Order.

I felt proud of myself and a little mean for guessing that #3 was the Chippendales dancer because he was perhaps the least conventionally attractive and therefore least likely to be plucked from Central Casting.  Even in the older photo, I have to admit he didn't do much for me.  But he had the last laugh, definitely!  He seemed like a really nice guy.

I was tempted to roll my eyes at the young house flipper a bit too.  Nobody's going to convince me that there's not a ton of handholding there, and like, your mom's not going to call in your loan, so don't call it that.  Precocious kids in general strike a nerve for me, especially when a whiff of stage parenting is in the air.  Ultimately I decided that there are worse things to celebrate than a little black girl emulating notions of entrepeneurial success and fiscal independence, so mazel tov.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 5

Even in the older photo, I have to admit he didn't do much for me.  But he had the last laugh, definitely!  He seemed like a really nice guy.

He was rocking that 70's look though.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 9:46 AM, iMonrey said:

thought the ten-year old house flipper was a little too precocious. She has a book about businesses for kid entrepreneurs and that's great, but house flipping? Yeah, if your parents happen to have enough money to loan you to buy a whole damn house. How likely is that? Even if they're just providing the downpayment and taking on the mortgage, they're actually the ones taking the financial risk. Not the kid. It felt like she was a bit overindulged if you ask me. 

I don't know why they need a fancy word for "parkour." Just call him what he is - a daredevil. 

I agree about the house flipper. I'm sure she goes to "work" with mommy or daddy looking at houses to buy for the flip and they probably ask her if she likes this color paint or that tile and she does a little hammering but she's no house flipper because she's not buying or selling the house. Also, how does she get a book published about 25 jobs kids can start with less than $500 (or something like that) and what 25 jobs did she have? It's one thing to teach kids skills and that it takes hard work and determination to be successful in life but it's a little much to call yourself a CEO at 10. 

Your right about the parkour being just a daredevil. I thought it was 1 or 3, I was leaning more towards 3 because he was so lean. It was funny when 2 said No to Anthony when he was trying to pronounce the word in French.

I thought the stripper was 1 because he was the best looking and fittest, number 3 was good-looking in his days of stripping but did not age well. I'm close to his age and I did not want or need to see that old man try to bust some moves.  

The armpit sniffer, no just no. Yuck!

At least they got rid of that stupid golden Doris. 

I have no problem with the young house flipper. For her and at her age, even if her parents are helping her, she is learning and doing a lot more than most adults, and this experience may help her become successful as an adult. Not every parent (even those with money) or every child will have the patience or wherewithal to even stick with what little work this young person may be putting into this effort. Kudos to her parents for trying to teach her a sense of business acumen. And why is it so hard to believe that she could be a child prodigy? They do exist. She did not seem to be precocious to me. She admitted she was being helped and admitted the things she did not know.

Which brings me to the panelists such as the dressmaker. I sometimes think the "real person" lies by omission or just outright lies in order to fool the panel. I thought the rules were the real person must tell the truth.

• Love 3

The junior flipper's book is called 25 Businesses Kids Can Start for Under $500 Dollars but the description doesn't give any info on what kind of businesses are included. The author bio on Amazon says she also has a cosmetics company.

• Useful 2
On 7/10/2020 at 9:46 AM, iMonrey said:

Daredeviling covers a lot more stuff than just parkour - which also sometimes called free-running. Like a person who jumps a chasm on a motorcycle or balances a torch on their chin is a daredevil. I'd put  parkour more in the category of gymnastics + obstacle courses than daredevil-esque stuff. The point of parkour isn't "oooh exciting how dangerous this is" - which I think is sort of requirement for daredevil stuff. It's more about movement technique and athleticism.

• Love 6

The armpit sniffer, no just no. Yuck!

The job itself is disgusting enough without having to watch him do his work on Doris and the other panelist.

At least they got rid of that stupid golden Doris. 

Hey I didn't even notice!

I have no problem with the young house flipper. For her and at her age, even if her parents are helping her, she is learning and doing a lot more than most adults, and this experience may help her become successful as an adult. Not every parent (even those with money) or every child will have the patience or wherewithal to even stick with what little work this young person may be putting into this effort. Kudos to her parents for trying to teach her a sense of business acumen.

I agree for the most part, except that I'm not sure her parents are sending her the right message by putting all this money up for her. She's not being taught to do things for herself, she's being taught that mom and dad will be there to finance her every whim. Admittedly we don't know all the detail here but one thing's for sure, she's not taking on the same kind of financial risk as adult flippers who sink their own money into those projects.

• Love 1

"I had a spider stuck in my ear."

Um...can we have the sword swallower back instead?

jerry seinfeld GIF

I was really hoping all three of the flossers would turn out to be named Russell.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

I wish when they introduce Anthony Anderson that in addition to saying he stars in Emmy-winning Blackish they would also say he starred in 3 seasons (50 episodes) of Law & Order, because that's nothing to sneeze at either.

Gary Cole is a sweetheart.

[Pool] Trick Shot Artist:
LOL when Michael Ealy asked them to "hold up your hands" and Anthony Anderson held his hands up too, because, ya know, it aint really funny. 

Restaurant Menu Engineer: 
I did not think #1 because she said she was the only one, and I'm pretty sure I've seen job ads for that position.  
I was leaning towards #3, in part because I didn't think they'd do #2 twice in a row (do they ever do that?) but also because his answers seemed logical (e.g, going incognito).

1st Hooters Girl:
I guessed #1 because she biffed the Restaurant Engineer question and then, like Sherry pointed out, she said "fun and flirty" was required, plus she blurted it out so assuredly.
But #1 was believable, and she was fun and flirty. 😉

Spider in Ear (ewww)
I guess #3 because of her answers, which made sense when she said she was an RN.

I Made Flossing Famous:
Until Michael Ealy called Russell by name, I thought maybe it was #3 because he smiled at stuff.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Until Michael Ealy called Russell by name, I thought maybe it was #3 because he smiled at stuff.

He looked very proud of himself. Or smug...

• Love 1
(edited)
15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Restaurant Menu Engineer: 
I did not think #1 because she said she was the only one, and I'm pretty sure I've seen job ads for that position.  
I was leaning towards #3, in part because I didn't think they'd do #2 twice in a row (do they ever do that?) but also because his answers seemed logical (e.g, going incognito).

I totally guessed No. 3 for that one. He was the only one the panelists basically ignored, and was the answer to Sesame Street's "one of these things is not like the other." "Restaurant Menu Engineer" is such a whack job title. As a designer, I've created several restaurant menus and never would I call myself a "menu engineer." I thought the chains this person worked for were lower-level family places, those are the ones that have pictures of the food in the menus. The higher-class places have a bunch of BS to describe each dish, and sell items based on how they make the selection sound/appear in the customer's mind. They use lots of fancy adjectives, not photos.

My question would have been, what's your favorite typeface for creating a menu.

I guessed the creator of The Russell too. And Michael Ealy made me LOL when he called out "Hey Russell!"

SO so glad the Doris trophy is gone. Now we have to work on getting the real Doris gone too.

I saw another show not too long ago where a roach was in some woman's ear. So the spider-in-ear was no big deal to me. Dropping bugs on Sherri is always a fun time though.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
(edited)
47 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

My question would have been, what's your favorite typeface for creating a menu.

I wonder if the fakers would have prepared answers for this question.
But it seems more often it is the real person giving it away by answering too completely.

ETA: Do the real people have to give honest answers? Like, what if the real Menu Engineer had answered your question "Comic Sans"?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
41 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I totally guessed No. 3 for that one. He was the only one the panelists basically ignored, and was the answer to Sesame Street's "one of these things is not like the other." "Restaurant Menu Engineer" is such a whack job title. As a designer, I've created several restaurant menus and never would I call myself a "menu engineer." I thought the chains this person worked for were lower-level family places, those are the ones that have pictures of the food in the menus. The higher-class places have a bunch of BS to describe each dish, and sell items based on how they make the selection sound/appear in the customer's mind. They use lots of fancy adjectives, not photos.

I've read about research into such things; one study looked at how well the same item sold when it was listed just as what it was (e.g., "lasagna") on one day vs. a more descriptive/evocative name ("homemade lasagna") on another day; it sold better in the latter condition (I think that one was in a cafeteria). There is also research on how menu layouts and wording affects sales, so I didn't believe for a second that there is only one person who does that kind of work. (Though I suppose she could be the only one who actually calls it "engineer" rather than "designer" or something.)

• Love 2