Type keyword(s) to search

To Tell The Truth - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I knew that was Paul Reubens the minute he opened his mouth. He also has very distinctive eyes, even with most of his face covered I recognized him.

What's weird is that stock exchange lady didn't know the name of the exchange in Chicago. She said "Chicago Exchange" and there's no such thing. There's a Chicago Board of Trade but there's no Chicago Exchange. I was positive she was the liar. How on earth did she pass that test to become the youngest floor trader in history if she doesn't even know the name of the Chicago Board of Trade? 

I'm of two minds about the kid who marched across America. On the one hand I find him impressive and  admirable. On the other hand, it seems like I hear way too many stories about parents who quit their jobs and sell their houses and basically uproot their lives to indulge the whims of their children. (It's a very common story for parents of Disney stars, in particular the ones who show up on Dancing with the Stars). I have a hard time wrapping my head around that.

• Love 1

With the blind contestants...they were told up front all 3 were really blind, so I don't see why they asked how the contestants went blind and thought that would somehow help figure out who was telling the truth? I think the letter mentioned it happening during childhood, so I guess if anyone answered they were since birth they'd out themselves, but everyone else could just cite the actual reason they went blind. They didn't have to lie so it was never going to help.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, theatremouse said:

With the blind contestants...they were told up front all 3 were really blind, so I don't see why they asked how the contestants went blind and thought that would somehow help figure out who was telling the truth? I think the letter mentioned it happening during childhood, so I guess if anyone answered they were since birth they'd out themselves, but everyone else could just cite the actual reason they went blind. They didn't have to lie so it was never going to help.

I suspect that question was more out of curiosity.

21 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Okay, Michael Bolton cracked me up at the end with the karaoke singer.

Oh man, I turned it off as soon as she started singing. What did Michael do?

I think Joel asked the worst questions out of the panel of guest. I haven't seen Michael Bolton on anything in years and was never a fan of his music but I have to say he's aged pretty well, I think he's handsome for his age.

I was so impressed with all the blind men and what they've accomplished especially the one that has climbed all 7 summits. Wow!

1 hour ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Oh man, I turned it off as soon as she started singing. What did Michael do?

He walked up behind her with that deadpan look on his face like he was creeping up on her, got up right next to her, and then took the microphone and sang the next couple lines before giving it back (clearly this was planned but it was funny). 

(PS she was singing one of his songs)

Edited by ams1001
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I suspect that question was more out of curiosity.

But they all reacted like the second guy was citing a made-up condition. Or maybe they just thought it was funny anyway, but they seemed to be mocking his answer as though he had inadvertently lied very poorly. That's what got me. I knew right away it must be a real condition they just thought sounded fake because even the liars had no reason to lie on that question.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

But they all reacted like the second guy was citing a made-up condition. Or maybe they just thought it was funny anyway, but they seemed to be mocking his answer as though he had inadvertently lied very poorly. That's what got me. I knew right away it must be a real condition they just thought sounded fake because even the liars had no reason to lie on that question.

The way he said it, with sort of a pause after "retino" it kinda sounded like he was making it up on the spot. I wondered if he said it like that on purpose to throw them off.

I liked that all three blind guys had athletic accomplishments that could have qualified them for a spot as the truth-teller.

• Love 1

But they all reacted like the second guy was citing a made-up condition. Or maybe they just thought it was funny anyway, but they seemed to be mocking his answer as though he had inadvertently lied very poorly. 

Oh, I know. That was really awkward. 

21 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I thought it was unfair that Craig Robinson was the chosen loser when he had to recuse himself from the one round. Are they required to say if they know one of the people? Because if he just did that on his own out of fairness, it's doubly unfair.

I know, right? Isn't there some kind of basic screening to make sure the contestants and panelists don't, like, know each other?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I thought it was unfair that Craig Robinson was the chosen loser when he had to recuse himself from the one round. Are they required to say if they know one of the people? Because if he just did that on his own out of fairness, it's doubly unfair.

I agree. I remember Weird Al knew one of the panelist and sat in Mama Doris's chair during that round. It's not fair they don't get the points because they can't play the round. I can't remember the name of the other "loser" but he could've been Oliver Hudson's brother, he looked more like Oliver than Kate. 

9 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I adored how fangirly Gillian Jacobs was to meet Will Shortz! I am also amused how they all pile on Joel McHale and he gives it right back.

My adult kid, who's sheltering w/us, was just way too excited about the Will Shortz reveal ( she watched it live, then watched me watch the recording -"watch this part mom, you'll like this part!")  Yeah, own it, kid.  You listened to NPR every weekend on the way to soccer.  You know your Will Shortz!

• Love 4
(edited)
22 hours ago, LakeGal said:

The show is back.  Sadly so is Mama Doris.  

And "The Doris" statue. Ugh.

22 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

I adored how fangirly Gillian Jacobs was to meet Will Shortz! 

I did, too. And how she asked them the same question just to hear their voices and then she knew. I've seen pictures of him in the past, but I didn't recognize him without context. Once they said one of them was the crossword puzzle editor, I was was pretty sure.

8 hours ago, lynxfx said:

Mama Doris has no toe nails!? That was quite the moment. And just no no no to athlete's big toes. 

I really didn't need to see any of their feet.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3
(edited)

Loved the CIA disguise twist at the end. And I can’t believe that was Elvira! Of course only after she revealed that could I totally recognize her voice.

Even after being called out on it a couple years ago, Mama Doris is still totally cheating. And what was with all her hostility towards D’Arcy?

Edited by dmeets
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Chellichik said:

I'm new to the forum - what is the story on Doris cheating and being called out?

I don't remember exactly but I think she was googling people up on her phone or talking with someone backstage. I'm leaning towards the phone. 

(edited)

Doris would ask someone backstage (not sure who) who the contestants were and then based on the description she’d look them up on her phone for a pic. Anthony called her out on it once and it devolved into them yelling at each other for a minute or two.

Edited by dmeets
  • LOL 1

Thanks for the info!  I don't know how I missed that as I thought i had seen ever show, but this doesn't surprise me.  I wish they would dump her from the show.  At least, from what I have seen this season, she isn't dry humping the contestants like I had seen in the past.  Imagine if it was Anthony's father making sex remarks and touching young women - people would freak out.  I don't know why nasty old ladies get a pass...

• Love 2

Even after being called out on it a couple years ago, Mama Doris is still totally cheating.

Ugh, she is almost ruining the show for me. I want to put her on mute whenever Anthony asks who she thinks is telling the truth because she is always right. Suspicious much? Who the hell thinks this woman is funny anyway?

And why are she and the panelists going up to the contestants after every round? It's annoying. Show some decorum.

That said, I did enjoy the guests on this latest episode. That last round with the surrogate grandmother was a scream! Elvira and the CIA lady. What a hoot.

• Love 7

I finally watched the latest of so many versions of this show!  I gave it a miss because it seemed a bit frenetic and new-fashioned for me, compared to the reruns I so enjoy.  I wish I hadn't waited, because I really enjoyed it.  I thought it updated the look and feel of things pretty well without changing the spirit.  I still prefer the old shows, but that's my problem. 😉

Mama Doris really does add very little for me, but I don't quite dislike her either.  I think her station ought to be moved next to Anthony's if she's going to participate in the antics as she does, since I somehow find the spectacle of running across the stage to do whatever really aggravating.  A lot of these panel shows work well when recurring personalities have a sense for each other, so they might as well fully integrate her into the physical space.

Gillian Jacobs was an absolute delight.  She seemed genuinely happy to be there and very engaged in the stories.  Joel McHale and Tom Lennon, on the other hand, were a bit much for me in the "dude-acting-over-it" department, although I generally like them both.  The rest were fine.  The questioning can be a little aimless, but the game's not played for money anymore and the jokes are funny, so it doesn't really bother me.  The days of men- and women-about-town who knew a little about everything, like Kitty Carlisle or Bennett Cerf, are behind us.  One of these days I'll get over that and move into 2020.  We'll see.

The last round of the second episode was just fantastic.  Elvira and the disguise maven?  I never saw it coming!  Whoever books their guests must have a wonderful time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

Dang you Paul Rubens!

I really hate how Mama gets demanding by telling the panel to just show their answer or ask their question. Just the way she says it rubs me the wrong way. 

• Love 7

I was really proud of myself-- I pegged that was Paul Reuben almost right away, and I figured the correct cosplayer because her costume was by far the best.

Of course, I don't think I got anyone else right the whole night...

Yo-yo guy was really hot, though!

• Love 2

Seems like maybe 🙏 the show is finally getting the message about Mama Doris. Anthony did not ask her who she thought it was with the real Black Klansman or the Cosplay champion, unless they edited it out. He only asked her about the Olympic diver, the Yoyo champ, and the person attacked by a severed snake head, and she was wrong about the first two.

I knew that second Cosplayer was going to turn out to be someone we knew. I like the running gag with celebrities turning up as imposters.  

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought that was another highly enjoyable episode.  Whoever writes their little lines for the statement at the beginning and the imposters at the end really gets my terrible sense of humor.  Paul Rubens did spoil things for me a bit, because I didn't see him coming at all and subsequently had to spend the rest of the episode on very high alert for the FBI disguise chief from the other week.  I still am convince that she's there somewhere. 😉

The only thing that's missing for me is stakes.  This show was never played for much money but I think in the past contestants usually got to split a few thousand, maybe less.  I'd love it if next time around the winning celebrity was given $10K for a charity of their choice or something like that.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2

Dear Mama Doris,

Please STFU! How dare you so gleefully call anyone a dummy or a dumbass.

Signed, 

An enraged viewer who wonders why she watches this show

• Love 5
On 6/4/2020 at 6:03 PM, 853fisher said:

The questioning can be a little aimless, but the game's not played for money anymore and the jokes are funny, so it doesn't really bother me.  

That's why I don't care about Doris "cheating." No one's actually winning anything except bragging rights, so whatever.

On 6/4/2020 at 6:03 PM, 853fisher said:

The last round of the second episode was just fantastic.  Elvira and the disguise maven?  I never saw it coming!  Whoever books their guests must have a wonderful time.

I knew the CIA lady because I've seen her before. Don't remember what show it was but I remembered her story.

17 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I thought that was another highly enjoyable episode.  Whoever writes their little lines for the statement at the beginning and the imposters at the end really gets my terrible sense of humor.  

Hehe, me too. I'm a sucker for a good (or bad) pun. I always wonder how much of those descriptions are actually the person's "own words." Clearly they're not all writing the perfect pun about their story on their own but I guess they must provide the basic details.

• Love 2

The only thing that's missing for me is stakes.  This show was never played for much money but I think in the past contestants usually got to split a few thousand, maybe less.  I'd love it if next time around the winning celebrity was given $10K for a charity of their choice or something like that.

I don't know how many reboots this show has had, but in the original version, the imposters got money for every incorrect panelist guess on them. So if three panelists guessed Imposter #1 he got like $25 for each guess. I'm assuming the same applied to the real person. At any rate the imposters were motivated to be very good at fooling them because they got money if they were picked.

That's why I don't care about Doris "cheating." No one's actually winning anything except bragging rights, so whatever.

The problem is she's giving away the answer before the actual reveal. You know she knows, so she's taking all of the suspense out of the reveal. They might as well just cut to Doris and ask her to tell them who it is.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Doris did seem to know many of the answers last night.  Maybe all of them?  So that's a little annoying if it's true that she has inside info.  She seems like a nice lady but I just don't get what she adds to the show a lot of the time.  Like, who asked her whether Constance's little spiel about her choice in the first round was too long?  I certainly didn't care.

Patti, meanwhile, was a pleasure.  I'm sure being a multi-platinum recording artist can buy a lot of great skin cream and so on, but my goodness, she looked great.  I had to laugh a little at how eager she was to have the answer reveals in the last round, when they'd all voted for the same player, so the result wasn't going to change.  She's very charming.

Unfortunately I didn't get into the last round.  I don't believe in parapsychology and all that, but I think nobody gets hurt if you check your horoscope or have your palm read on the boardwalk or what-have-you.  I think that so-called psychic detectives, on the other hand are disgusting opportunists hoping to capitalize on a family's or community's grief.  I found several stories along those lines about the woman featured, in which she offered absolutely nothing of value, but no doubt drew a nice paycheck.  She can tell me all she wants about intuiting the latitude and longitude of some missing plane in New York and I'm just not interested.  I wish we would stop giving people like her a platform.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

Doris did seem to know many of the answers last night.  Maybe all of them?

She didn't get the last one; she guessed the first lady like everyone else did. I don't remember the rest. In general she's wrong just enough that you can't actually bank on her being right, but it's still annoying/ obvious she has inside info.

The only one I felt sure about was the English Channel swimmer being the woman, because I felt sure they were going to use the two blind guys for the "Before You Go" segment. And I was right. I did crack up that neither of them knew what color vermilion was, though.

• Love 2

For the astronauts, I was absolutely positive that #1 was that identical twin whose name I couldn’t dredge up at the moment. And I was shocked that nobody on the panel recognized him! I wonder if they picked him for exactly that reason. 

Anyway, I made my daughter watch the recording, and the first thing she said was, isn’t that Scott Kelly? So it wasn’t just me!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

For the astronauts, I was absolutely positive that #1 was that identical twin whose name I couldn’t dredge up at the moment. And I was shocked that nobody on the panel recognized him! I wonder if they picked him for exactly that reason. 

Anyway, I made my daughter watch the recording, and the first thing she said was, isn’t that Scott Kelly? So it wasn’t just me!

Me too, at first.  I'm glad we're all on the same page. 😉

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Same here. I kept thinking he looked off and a little skinnier but I havent seen a lot of Scott Kelly so wasn't positive. Good play on the look alike by the casting department. 

Ugh Doris stop rushing people. 

Kevin had some great lines. The sword swallower section was great. From "swallow" innuendo from Constance to Kevin's "it is more like an oil dipstick."

• Love 2
16 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Unfortunately I didn't get into the last round.  I don't believe in parapsychology and all that, but I think nobody gets hurt if you check your horoscope or have your palm read on the boardwalk or what-have-you.  I think that so-called psychic detectives, on the other hand are disgusting opportunists hoping to capitalize on a family's or community's grief.  I found several stories along those lines about the woman featured, in which she offered absolutely nothing of value, but no doubt drew a nice paycheck.  She can tell me all she wants about intuiting the latitude and longitude of some missing plane in New York and I'm just not interested.  I wish we would stop giving people like her a platform.

I'm with you. When Anthony said his line about "who's the real psychic detective" I said, "NONE OF THEM!" (I also thought it interesting that they all picked the one who looked most like someone you might find on the boardwalk doing palm-readings. Then at the end she said her real job was something about crystals and I figured I wasn't too far off.)

9 hours ago, lb60 said:

Fixed that for ya!

😉

That woman gets on my last nerve.

And we can't even escape her in the commercial breaks! Damn you, T-Mobile.

I loved that the seeing-eye dog looked like he was just snoozing, but both times the guy stood up he hopped right up and moved next to him. That guy's artwork was pretty cool.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I loved that the seeing-eye dog looked like he was just snoozing, but both times the guy stood up he hopped right up and moved next to him. That guy's artwork was pretty cool.

I noticed that about the dog too :-) I agree about the artwork I wanted to see more.

My one con I have for the show (well, besides Doris) is I wish Anthony would take more initiative with the questions, some guest stars will jump in asking more than one question and others don't get the chance. I know he'll say, so and so you get the first question but after that it's just who ever jumps in. I wish he would go down the line with each guest star to ask questions.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I noticed that about the dog too 🙂 I agree about the artwork I wanted to see more.

Here's his website: https://bramblitt.com/

You can buy prints ($10 and up, depending on the size) and other merch (tempted to get a shower curtain, if I could justify $60 for a shower curtain I don't need). (Also lists available originals but you have to contact him for pricing.)

• Useful 2

Mama Doris was 3 for 5. She knew the English Channel swimmer, the astronaut, and the sword swallower. She missed the psychic detective and the blind artist, but the latter was part of "Before You Go" so maybe they don't tell her about those. 🤔

"Fame" has clearly gone to Doris's head. She's so far up her own ass now she thinks it's her job to yell at the panelists to shut up every week. I bet she wouldn't tell Patti LaBelle to shut up. Who died and made her the moderator? I want to hear from the celebrities on the panel, Doris. Not you.

Sword swallower. Just . . . no. No. NO.

I think that so-called psychic detectives, on the other hand are disgusting opportunists hoping to capitalize on a family's or community's grief.

There certainly are those, and I don't know if this lady is one of them or not. But I've seen several stories over the years (Unsolved Mysteries, anyone?) about psychics that local police regularly consult and they don't get paid for it and don't interact with the victim's families.

• Love 4