Type keyword(s) to search

To Tell The Truth - General Discussion

• Start Topic

That was a tough one. I think I only picked 1 right the entire night. 

I love cats but I couldn't imagine a place with 1000 running around. I was waiting for someone to ask "please name all the cats."

That kid that was staring during the intro of the dumpster diving segment was pretty funny. The ladies dress was doing some serious visual tricks though. At first it was so flat in color that I thought they had her standing behind something green and that is why the kid was looking at her, like she was hiding something. 

• Love 1

I kind of guessed right on a few of them but absolutely knew the pastry chef and that was thanks to Josh Malina.  Asking about the White House (an answer I didn't know) and mille-feuille (the answer which I did know) was so well played. He got lucky he happened to ask the two fakers first but still some smart questions. 

• Love 1

I think Josh already suspected who were the fakers and asked in the order he did on purpose.

For the dumpster diver, i thought I heard Anthony refer to "her" right before he read the letter, and figured it was a slip and guessed correctly based on that. Although it did make me wonder whether he knows before the reveal who is who or if that were just a mumbley coincidence.

On 8/8/2018 at 12:13 AM, theatremouse said:

For the dumpster diver, i thought I heard Anthony refer to "her" right before he read the letter, and figured it was a slip and guessed correctly based on that.

They've been in the habit of putting women with you'd-assume-it-was-a-guy stories next to men, hoping to get a "nah, it can't be her" reaction, or at least have people second-guessing themselves. If he didn't say "her" it's still been pretty good odds to go with a "her" whenever possible.

On 8/7/2018 at 9:13 PM, theatremouse said:

Although it did make me wonder whether he knows before the reveal who is who or if that were just a mumbley coincidence.

He has always acted like he doesn't know since he will sometimes put in a guess as well. Doesn't feel like it would be as fun to host if he knew who it was. Way too easy to accidentally give it away considering how much chatting and joking around goes on. My guess is that it was a slip of the tongue.  

• Love 1
On 8/9/2018 at 5:50 PM, lynxfx said:

Doesn't feel like it would be as fun to host if he knew who it was. Way too easy to accidentally give it away considering how much chatting and joking around goes on.

Is that why the contestants don't win anything? I haven't seen the rules for game shows, but if this was classified as one, they probably couldn't have as much chaos.

My new TV crush is Matt McGorry.  I have only seen him on Orange is the New Black and How to Get Away with Murder where he always came off as a bit of a nerd.  Who knew he was sexy?  

Edited by Fable

Some good liars this time. I didn't get a single one correct. I don't think I've seen two with no correct guesses before. 

That slack liner was pretty great. His story, the reveal and then his actual slack lining. 

• Love 2

That slack liner was pretty great. His story, the reveal and then his actual slack lining. 

That one really cracked me up because it sounded like he was just making stuff up and I was sure he was an impostor who they hired just because of his stoner look. When he ended up demonstrating his tightrope skills it was amazing. I really enjoyed the panel too - Ron Funches has some great one-liners.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

That one really cracked me up because it sounded like he was just making stuff up and I was sure he was an impostor who they hired just because of his stoner look. When he ended up demonstrating his tightrope skills it was amazing. I really enjoyed the panel too - Ron Funches has some great one-liners.

OMG that's who that was!  I guess I missed the introductions, and that guy seemed so familiar but I couldn't figure out why.  I only really remember him from @Midnight, but he's changed physically since then!  Thank you!

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That's the only one I guessed right because he was so out there.  And as ridiculous as it sounded, his answer on how he saved the guy was more specific if I recall correctly.  Plus, he said the snow patrol threw up the knife.  The other guy said his friends did.  Who goes skiing with a knife in their pocket?

1 hour ago, Door County Cherry said:

Plus, he said the snow patrol threw up the knife.  The other guy said his friends did.  Who goes skiing with a knife in their pocket?

A boy scout? I noticed that the imposter said some things in a way to suggest he was repeating details he had been given (e.g. his "a knife was used") rather than answering a question like you'd expect from the real person. They need to do a better job of matching up the "before you go" duo with someone else. Otter Girl was easy to spot, as have others been in that round of prior episodes.

• Love 1

Out of the three potential Rosie the Riveters I knew number three was a fake because she made two mistakes. The first was when she meant to say she worked at Lockheed Martin only she said Markley or something else. Then when they asked her about riveting she said "first you drill then you rivet." Nope. Driller is a different job. The driller drills and the riveter rivets. Neither do both. I know this because my own grandmother was a driller during WWII. And drillers got paid 5 cents less per hour than riveters.

• Love 2
On 8/27/2018 at 11:23 AM, iMonrey said:

Out of the three potential Rosie the Riveters I knew number three was a fake because she made two mistakes. The first was when she meant to say she worked at Lockheed Martin only she said Markley or something else. Then when they asked her about riveting she said "first you drill then you rivet." Nope. Driller is a different job. The driller drills and the riveter rivets. Neither do both. I know this because my own grandmother was a driller during WWII. And drillers got paid 5 cents less per hour than riveters.

Yeah, I think she said Lockhard Martin.  And I was like, "Nope, next!"  

Was your grandmother bitter about getting paid less than the riveters?

I figured cat whisperer was the cat whisperer because he looks like the guy on the cat whispering show and I thought, "eh, what the heck."  I discounted the Nasa sisters because of the Pluto answer but I did get a little bit confused when they had very plausible Nasa facilities they worked at.

I picked the teacher because he knew Monroe... but then I knew Monroe and what a gerund is and I don't teach English or History.   

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Enigma X said:

The supposed english teacher who could not describe a gerund was out immediately. 

Right? Even if that's not something you cover in your class, an English teacher should still know what it is.

(On a side note, Joshua Malina asks some really good questions.)

Edited by ams1001
spellin'
  • Love 2

Was your grandmother bitter about getting paid less than the riveters?

No because the 92 cents an hour she made was, and I quote, "damn good money" in those days. Riveters made 97 cents an hour.

• Love 2

It was a rerun from earlier this season, but I think people have mentioned before that they filmed the season quite a bit in advance. So probably it was filmed at some point last year before the DJ's album was released and it was just weirdly phrased that he decided to say "2017" instead of "later this year."

One of my fondest childhood memories was of my entire family watching the 1970's version that was hosted by the amiable but clever Gary Moore (who had had a variety show featuring a young Carol Burnett who'd say that he was the NICEST person she ever worked for) with regular panelists Kitty Carlisle, Peggy Cass and Bill Cullen.  Watching them on a certain website, I'm struck by not only how intriguing the contestants often were but also how in-depth and shrewd the panelists' questions were - especially Peggy Cass's which added to the entertainment value because she'd always played ditzes but while she sometimes could be argumentative, she had a steel trap mind. 

Oh, and even though Kitty Carlisle liked to play the grande dame, she never was anything less than gracious to the others and it was clear that the panelists and Mr. Moore were all great friends with no rivalry or cattiness whatsoever!  Ironically, Bill Cullen wasn't quite as sharp as his fellow panelists but he was quite affable and it should be noted that he was physically challenged due to a childhood bout of polio as well as a bad accident as a teenager made it next to impossible for him to walk or stand for more than brief periods. 

Anyway, if one wants to get an idea of a truly challenging game show in which home viewers are encouraged to see whether they can guess the 'real' contestants over the imposters, this version is well worth checking out- to say nothing of the 

I just watched Sunday's episode, and I didn't get a single one correct.  However, the biggest surprise for me was the first set of players.  The actual person who ended up being the correct choice seemed as dense as a box of rocks.  However, he probably was playing as dumb as he could without lying, which I guess is how the game is played.  

I guessed the Muslim man must have been the "professional mourner" because I had never heard of such a thing and thought perhaps it was a custom I was unfamiliar with. Wrong on the first part anyway. What a weird thing to do for a living. Assuming it's that lady's primary job and not something she does on the side.

The story about the whale saving the diver was wonderful.

• Love 1

I was able to pick out the co-joined twins because I had a friend who had twins, they were considered "mirror twins." That is the type, apparently most commonly associated with co-joined twins (although they themselves were not co-joined). So I was looking for the pair that looked most like mirror twins. The middle pair looked too identical (even though they were triplets!) I also pegged the first pair as the aerialists. Seems like something they would have done in a more bygone era.

I'd never heard of "planking" before. And I could have gone my whole life without knowing what it was. 

• Love 1

Kirstie Alley was really good at this, she must have really good instincts. I lived the panel overall in fact. Joel McHale is such a smartass but this is the show for it.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Kirstie Alley was really good at this, she must have really good instincts. I lived the panel overall in fact. Joel McHale is such a smartass but this is the show for it.

I like Joel, on this and Match Game (only saw one episode of Card Sharks so I don't have an opinion of him as host).

I love Ron Funches. His giggle just makes me happy.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Kirstie was good at this but accusing the Brit of stealing an invention from an American was pretty damn awkward. 

Especially since she didn’t seem like she was joking AT ALL. My jaw literally dropped. She is just a horrible human being and that solidified my opinion of her. 

Love Ron and Joel. Anna camp was too giggly. 

(edited)

I really got the impression Mama Doris did not like Alyssa Edwards......who, incidentally, was the person I was watching for.....

In general, I’m not a Mama Doris fan.....

Edited by crazyirishlady
RHOA is a different show.....
  • Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, crazyirishlady said:

I really got the impression Mama Joyce did not like Alyssa Edwards......who, incidentally, was the person I was watching for.....

In general, I’m not a Mama Joyce fan.....

It's Doris, actually. And I came here to say the same thing.  She seemed downright cold to her. I watch regularly, and she seemed very off with Alyssa. Very disappointing. I love Alyssa (who was very professional, as always).  Back rolls??!?

Edited by LadyNebula
  • Love 1
(edited)

Agreed. I like Anthony Anderson and think he does a good job, but Mama Doris adds nothing to the show as far as I'm concerned. I'd lose her if I were in charge.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, crazyirishlady said:

I really got the impression Mama Joyce did not like Alyssa Edwards......who, incidentally, was the person I was watching for.....

In general, I’m not a Mama Joyce fan.....

I agree. I can't stand Mama Doris. I don't much like her son, either. Of all the game show reboots, this is my least favorite. Not sure why I torture myself by watching. lol

I like Anthony Edwards and think he does a good job.....

I especially liked his work on ER

Sorry, I couldn't resist. 

<ducks flying objects>

.....but Mama Doris adds nothing to the show as far as I'm concerned. I'd lose her if I were in charge.

This, I wholeheartedly agree with.

• Love 1

I wasn't buying that whole bit with Mama being "hypnotized" to say Bingo every time Anthony said Truth. It seemed scripted to me. I don't think hypnosis really works that way, either. 

The real-life "League of Their Own" player was heartwarming though. Except I didn't understand why she said the impostor to her left was going to need her prayers. 

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

I wasn't buying that whole bit with Mama being "hypnotized" to say Bingo every time Anthony said Truth. It seemed scripted to me. I don't think hypnosis really works that way, either. 

I was torn between thinking this^ (that Mama was faking the hypnosis) and worried that she really was hypnotized and that it had some sort of deleterious effect on her -- or maybe she's just having side effects from meds -- doctors tend to over-prescribe to seniors, and I hadn't seen her (or the show) before this episode.

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The real-life "League of Their Own" player was heartwarming though. Except I didn't understand why she said the impostor to her left was going to need her prayers. 

After they asked if Geena Davis played one of them in the movie, I was thinking if it was the one on her left she was played by Madonna.

• LOL 1

The hypnotism was a crock for sure. For one thing mama kept staring straight at her when did the 'sleep' move. She then basically forced her to play along. Second, mama isnt a good actor. If you really did have an involuntary response programmed you wouldn't keep trying to put your own spin on the word each time you said it. She kept trying to make BINGO make sense when she said it. I personally believe all parlor/stage hypnotists are frauds. The long one on one stuff to get you to stop addictions etc are more about therapy. 

WTF to the baby daddy. I thought there was no way it could be number 1. Thought it was three because he was the only one that said everything still went through a clinic. 

The hoop dance was actually pretty cool. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I think it was because of the swearing question. The impostor to her left was the only one who actually swore.

I feel like I post every season that I can't stand Mama Doris. It's still true.

• Love 3