Type keyword(s) to search

To Tell The Truth - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

There is something vaguely creepy about Tom Lennon, and I know I've already said this once before. I get a weird Kevin Spacey-type vibe from him.

I get what you mean. I really liked him on Reno 911 and he's always fun when the TMZ paps get him in the street, but there is a weird vibe about him on this show. It's just a vibe, but still ... it's there for me too.

48 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I liked her dress.

I was too distracted by at the end, when she was wearing the crown, she and her dress looked like a size minus 2. It's like she doesn't even have a rib cage. "Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1

I never watch the very end when Doris gives out the loser crown, Anthony asks the loser if there is anything they want to say and then immediately cuts the person off.  It's the same every time so I just move on.

• Love 2
(edited)

They usually go with a "true believer" angle for segments on psychics etc, which isn't for me.  But it was interesting to hear the Ouija board guy talk about being a skeptic but wanting to harness what others believe to help them gain closure.

I've said it all before, but I'm really so grossed out by the way Anthony talks about his mother.  "She loves three-ways!"  I can't imagine thinking about my mother that way, and certainly not sharing it in primetime.  I genuinely wonder who finds those jokes funny.  To me, they're over the line.

On the other hand, since it was brought up, while I don't find them very original or funny, I don't generally mind the race jokes other than the lecherous ones.  At the same time, I do understand why others find these jokes divisive, obnoxious, or otherwise unappealing.  Probably best I say no more, since this isn't really the place for an extended debate about "reverse racism."

20 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I liked [Teri's] dress.

I did too.  That pink trim really set the floral off nicely.  It all reminded me, in a pleasant way, of some wallpaper in my childhood home.  I don't know that she'd take that favorably, but I mean it favorably!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2

I really wish the contestants could answer more questions, I like to see how quick they are at coming up with something that sounds plausible. I guessed every round this time which never happened before. I didn’t quite understand the Ouija guy because why would people want to go to him if he doesn’t believe in what he is doing? I’m sure there are plenty of people who at least claim to believe in spirits that would do the same thing.

My method of guessing is that I usually pick the person who seems the most laid back and doesn’t have long answers for every question.

• Love 2
On 7/27/2021 at 1:56 PM, 853fisher said:

I'm really so grossed out by the way Anthony talks about his mother.  "She loves three-ways!"  I can't imagine thinking about my mother that way

So you're saying you wouldn't flash around a photo of your mom and "her girls"?

I experimented with Ouija in the past, as probably many people do. It freaked me and we never "played" it again. I, too, was surprised the Quija master didn't really believe in it. He's never gotten creepy answers from it?

The only time I freaked someone out with a Ouija board was with my roommate. I was an amateur magician so had a invisible thread reel handy. For reference my roommate was really into Ouija and made us play. So after a few times playing with some friends I slyly attached the thread. Played like normal but once everyone removed their hands I made the piece move by itself across the board. He FLIPPED out! Probably the best prank I ever pulled. He still didn't believe me once I showed how it was done. Some people just want to believe. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, lynxfx said:

The only time I freaked someone out with a Ouija board was with my roommate. I was an amateur magician so had a invisible thread reel handy. For reference my roommate was really into Ouija and made us play. So after a few times playing with some friends I slyly attached the thread. Played like normal but once everyone removed their hands I made the piece move by itself across the board. He FLIPPED out! Probably the best prank I ever pulled. He still didn't believe me once I showed how it was done. Some people just want to believe. 

This anecdote would make a great introduction to an article about -- well -- about a lot of crazy beliefs.

My bestie sent me the funniest meme - it showed an ouija board painted out on a wood floor. The caption said something like, "Fun idea, but my Roomba would probaby summon a demon." (Sooooo true for my evil Roomba!!!)

I wished one of the celebrity panelists would have asked how it got its name (French and German words for "yes.") and what the thing with the glass circle is called (a planchette).  Instead Thomas Lennon was SO annoying in this episode!!  He bugged me just as much as Mama Doris did, and that's sayin' somethin'!  I don't mind Joel McHale though, I guess because I just like him.  (I have to admit though, I do find him a bit insulting and obnoxious on this show in the questions he asks the mystery panelists.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I haven't watched the last couple of episodes, I've lost interest. I'm so over mama Doris and the obnoxious celebrities, they have ruined the show for me. Maybe cause I'm old but I prefer the classic game shows. There are so many game shows I can't watch anymore because of the host or the changes like this one with mama Doris and celebrities that think they're funnier then they are. So I think this is going in my big pile of I can't watch that anymore :-(

• Love 4
1 hour ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I haven't watched the last couple of episodes, I've lost interest. I'm so over mama Doris and the obnoxious celebrities, they have ruined the show for me. Maybe cause I'm old but I prefer the classic game shows. There are so many game shows I can't watch anymore because of the host or the changes like this one with mama Doris and celebrities that think they're funnier then they are. So I think this is going in my big pile of I can't watch that anymore :-(

I'm probably older than you, @foxfreakinmulder, LOL.

Just wanted to share: I had the TV on in the middle of last night because of a toothache, and it was the OG Family Feud hosted by Richard Dawson. I noticed that I needed to turn the volume up after the commercials to hear him read the clues in his soft voice, whereas with the current Family Feud hosted by Steve Harvey, I do the opposite, heh. 

But I never watch the old B&W TTTT show when it comes on. I think I associate it with being home from school with some dreaded "childhood illness" for which there were no vaccines in the 1950s and later. 

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Just wanted to share: I had the TV on in the middle of last night because of a toothache, and it was the OG Family Feud hosted by Richard Dawson. I noticed that I needed to turn the volume up after the commercials to hear him read the clues in his soft voice, whereas with the current Family Feud hosted by Steve Harvey, I do the opposite, heh. 

I liked Richard as host minus all the kissing lol. I can't stand Steve Harvey so I don't watch just like The Price is Right, I can't stand Drew Carey so I don't watch that anymore either.

• Love 2

"The trophy that made me a leg man....The Doris!" You and me both. And I'm not even a man.

She's not any better in peanut form. But the artist is pretty good.

OMG, I love the honey badger guy. That video cracks me up.

I really did not need to know what Mama Doris wants to hear while she's "making the love." Jeez.

Adam's white sneakers and gym socks with his brown suit were very distracting.

On 7/31/2021 at 1:36 PM, shapeshifter said:

But I never watch the old B&W TTTT show when it comes on. I think I associate it with being home from school with some dreaded "childhood illness" for which there were no vaccines in the 1950s and later. 

When they started doing the primetime games a few years ago (especially Pyramid, which I watched as a kid) I commented on facebook that it felt like I was home sick from school (possibly with chicken pox, my only dreaded childhood illness that didn't have a vaccine at the time, which I had when I was 7). Still waiting for a reboot of Hollywood Squares. I watched Family Feud in the Ray Combs era.

• Love 2

I had no idea who the two guys were on last night's panel. They could have been two of the guests and we'd have to try to figure out which one was telling the truth about who each one really is. And I would be wrong in both cases.

I've come to the conclusion that this show isn't about trying to find who is telling the truth, it's the Mama Doris show and the three "celebrities" are only there to showcase themselves, they don't even bother to ask questions. It's getting more difficult to watch every week. The only high points are the (very) few minutes given for the guests to showcase their talents, like the blues singer, who was fab, and the peanut artist. I couldn't figure out what the peanuts looking like someone had to do with anything since they were all painted and had arms/legs/hair attached. But the guy was talented and I loved the finished peanuts. They just didn't need to BE peanuts.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

the blues singer, who was fab

He was pretty great, but I don't recall his name?
--and forgetting his name would probably not have happened with the OG TTTT?

10 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

But the guy was talented and I loved the finished peanuts. They just didn't need to BE peanuts.

I gathered from his remarks that it was just something he started doing and was able to market.
So now he makes a living doing something he doesn't hate.
I suspect if we saw his work using more traditional media, he would be just a fair-to-middling artist, and, if anything, it would have a negative impact on his $ucce$$ful peanut painting gig.

I agree with Saber5505, they hardly ask real questions in some of the episodes and it’s about Mama Doris’ sex life and whatever stupid jokes the comedians were thinking up. I like to hear their answers so I can guess myself but they only got in one or two actual questions besides the jokes . I like Deon on Blackish and have no idea who that Adam guy was, but they were annoying as hell. 

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 5

I had no idea who the two guys were on last night's panel. They could have been two of the guests and we'd have to try to figure out which one was telling the truth about who each one really is. And I would be wrong in both cases.

I know Adam Pally from Happy Endings, and then when that was cancelled they shoe-horned him into The Mindy Project. I'm not sure but I think there was some kerfluffle over one of his social media posts (i.e. he's obnoxious). 

I had no idea who Deon Cole is, I assumed he was some kind of pro athlete! I had to look him up. He was funny though.

Caroline Rhea is hit or miss in the best of times but I did crack up when she asked the bug chef if she hated Pinocchio as a child. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

It seemed that everyone asked really good questions and didn’t focus on themselves 

I also noticed that Joel McHale looked like he was really focused on figuring out who was the real person and who were the imposters. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, seacliffsal said:

I laughed so much during this episode (especially when they showed the cat lawyer video!).  I agree that the panelists were focused on the contestants and not themselves (Joel!).  Good fun-more please.

And more stuff like the cat lawyer video!
Some of their other mystery jobs have been a little creepy or icky. 

• Love 3

Unlike the celebs, I did guess the correct pie maker. Sorry I can't recall right now why. If I re-watch that segment later I'll add the reasons.

The real piñata maker did a great job of acting like she was not the real one and that she had blown it.

Anthony Anderson seemed like he was not happy to be "herding cats" again, after recent guests being more focused.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The real piñata maker did a great job of acting like she was not the real one and that she had blown it.

She was bugging me with her constant head-bobbing while she talked. (I guessed #3 because I googled the word origin after they asked her about it and she was correct.)

10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Anthony Anderson seemed like he was not happy to be "herding cats" again, after recent guests being more focused.

JB Smoove was driving me nuts. When Brad told him to hold his breath for an hour I was like, "yes, please".

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Unlike the celebs, I did guess the correct pie maker. Sorry I can't recall right now why. If I re-watch that segment later I'll add the reasons.

Someone on here pointed out that right before they're going to do the "Before You Go" segment, they'll usually eliminate panelist #3, so they can be left with 1 and 2 for BYG.

Now that I'm aware of this, I can never *not* think about it during this round. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

As soon as Paris Themmen said his name I knew he was Mike Teevee. Big fan of that movie. I like when they have these minor celebs playing the imposters. But they could have had him and two imposters doing "I played Mike Teevee in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" because you'd never recognize him on sight. Waste of a celebrity.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I knew it was her the whole time because she acted strange the entire time. I figure central casting won't bring in someone like that to be an imposter. 

I think I guessed wrong on every other person though.

• Useful 1
56 minutes ago, lynxfx said:

I knew it was her the whole time because she acted strange the entire time. I figure central casting won't bring in someone like that to be an imposter. 

That didn't occur to me, but now I'm on to them! 
But I would think the regular players--being actors and familiar with the game, e.g., Brad Garrett--would have guessed as you did, @lynxfx.

I loved that Anthony had to tell his mother that they had to give time to the guests to ask questions.  I have never really cared for J.B. Smoove and this was no exception.  Something is very very wrong when Brad Garrett is the most focused panelist...

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Okay, I'm just going to say it-I really didn't think the "prettiest pie" was all that pretty.  I actually couldn't believe it won that title.  I guess the reality is that I would hate to see the pies that lost (yuck!).  I know there was some design in the meringue, but it just looked like patches of browned meringue and where she ran out of meringue she just put a big orange slice.  I have seen what I consider to be beautiful pies, but this wasn't one (IMO).

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Okay, I'm just going to say it-I really didn't think the "prettiest pie" was all that pretty.  I actually couldn't believe it won that title.  I guess the reality is that I would hate to see the pies that lost (yuck!).  I know there was some design in the meringue, but it just looked like patches of browned meringue and where she ran out of meringue she just put a big orange slice.  I have seen what I consider to be beautiful pies, but this wasn't one (IMO).

I too thought it was Not a particularly pretty pie, but now that you  mention it, it occurs to me the meringue peaks may have lost some height and curl sitting around back stage for who-knows-how-long.

Interestingly, Cedric The Entertainer is on TTTT tonight at the same time he’s hosting the Emmys. 
The schedule details say it’s a “New” episode, but I thought they already had one with a “butter sculptor.”

"Cedric The Entertainer, London Hughes and Nikki Glaser"

New, 9/19/2021,  Season 7 / Episode 10 , Game Show, Comedy

Celebrities Cedric The Entertainer, London Hughes and Nikki Glaser meet several individuals, including a butter sculptor, a professional ballet dancer, someone who found a nine-carat diamond, a catfish noodler, and a celebrity trainer.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

The schedule details say it’s a “New” episode, but I thought they already had one with a “butter sculptor.”

I think they have, but I don't recognize these ladies.

Just what we need, a Butter Mama Doris.

4 hours ago, cinsays said:

And I thought Mama Doris was the worst thing about this show until this awful London person and Cedrick the un-entertainer

So much this. What a really bad horrible episode this was last night. At least Anthony asked the guests some questions. But no one thought to ask the diamond guy WHERE he found a diamond just laying around on the ground? What a bunch of dumbasses. Finally one said it was at Crater of Diamonds. I know all about that place, but it's not somewhere little kids would find fun to go. It's not exactly exciting sitting and sifting through dirt for hours ... and finding nothing.

Then none of these people had ever heard of noodling for catfish? Holy cats. I think there was even a teevee show about that a while back.

The butter sculptor saying she's THE butter sculptor ... no honey, you are not. Iowa State Fair has had a butter cow, newly sculpted every year, since 1911. Now all the state fairs (and other events) have butter sculptures. You are not THAT special.

I don't know who that London woman is but I hope I never EVER see or hear her again.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

So much this. What a really bad horrible episode this was last night. At least Anthony asked the guests some questions. But no one thought to ask the diamond guy WHERE he found a diamond just laying around on the ground? What a bunch of dumbasses. Finally one said it was at Crater of Diamonds. I know all about that place, but it's not somewhere little kids would find fun to go. It's not exactly exciting sitting and sifting through dirt for hours ... and finding nothing.

Then none of these people had ever heard of noodling for catfish? Holy cats. I think there was even a teevee show about that a while back.

The butter sculptor saying she's THE butter sculptor ... no honey, you are not. Iowa State Fair has had a butter cow, newly sculpted every year, since 1911. Now all the state fairs (and other events) have butter sculptures. You are not THAT special.

I don't know who that London woman is but I hope I never EVER see or hear her again.

Yeah, her wanting the southern guy to keep talking so she can hear how strange he talks? Yuck.

I also did not appreciate Cedric's comment which I interpreted that the only reason Obama won was that some people voted for him just because he's black. I have not seen anything with or about Cedric that would make me want to ever see him again.  He may have money but no class.

Also, as much as I dislike mamma, yeah, i applaud her telling that woman to just shut up and turn over her card.

• Love 1

Unlike those upthread, I was okay with this episode: 7.10 (Sept 19, 2021)

Celebrities Cedric The Entertainer, London Hughes and Nikki Glaser meet several individuals, including a butter sculptor, a professional ballet dancer, someone who found a nine-carat diamond, a catfish noodler, and a celebrity trainer.

I enjoyed Mama having to keep someone else in line for a change, although Mama seemed a little extra chill, if all y'all know what I mean. And I think London will be a great TTTT celeb once she's done it a few times -- kind of like Joel McHale.

20 hours ago, ams1001 said:
On 9/19/2021 at 8:37 AM, shapeshifter said:

I think they have, but I don't recognize these ladies.

When Anthony talked about the previous food portraits, I realized we were thinking of the cheese sculptor. 

I knew the butter sculptor when she mentioned the "armature" for sculpting (I've done some sculpting).

I knew the ballet dancer when they zoomed in on their feet because I was watching on my son-in-law's ginormous TV and could read "Capezio" on her shoes, and, yes, I've also done a little ballet.

I had read about a the diamond story, but didn't recall any pictures. 
I also fell for the family diamond hunting story of #3.

On the Before We Go round:
Silly celebs didn't ask the real catfish guy (#3) any questions before asking #2. But, then again, #2 gave great answers.

I was right on the celebrity trainer too, but I'd rather have the Dunce crown.
But what was wrong with the not-trainer/painter's arms? Steroids???

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The only other place I've seen her is in the History of Swear Words on Netflix (which Nikki Glaser was also in), hosted by Nick Cage, which I watched a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I knew the ballet dancer when they zoomed in on their feet because I was watching on my son-in-law's ginormous TV and could read "Capezio" on her shoes, and, yes, I've also done a little ballet.

When I was in high school, all the cool girls wore Capezios. It was a HUGE deal. So you were lucky that person was the dancer and not some rando high-school grad.

• LOL 2
16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I enjoyed Mama having to keep someone else in line for a change, although Mama seemed a little extra chill, if all y'all know what I mean. And I think London will be a great TTTT celeb once she's done it a few times -- kind of like Joel McHale.

No, I don't know what you mean!  Drugged? I have no idea.

And, NO, please don't have London on a few more times.  Her whole schtick is being gross, from what I have read about her.

• Love 3