Type keyword(s) to search

To Tell The Truth - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Ugh, Mama Doris is back with a vengeance. When Anthony said "It's Mama Doris's show and we're just all living in it" it was too painfully true. I don't know whether it's the producers or the network or just what but they have seriously over-estimated our investment in Mama Doris. Good grief, when they had her get up for "etiquette lessons" I had to hit the FF button. And of course she had to try on the hoof shoes too. They have to make everything about Mama Doris. Enough!

Good panel though. I thought it was hysterical when RuPaul called one of the contestants "bitch" and I always get a kick out of Nikki Glaser* and Cedric.

Edited by iMonrey
*not Nikki Haley!!
  • Love 10
43 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Good panel though. I thought it was hysterical when RuPaul called one of the contestants "bitch" and I always get a kick out of Nikki Haley and Cedric.

image.thumb.png.fab3b7ce686fcc53fbd15f123336b3da.png

Sorry, I couldn't help it. ;) 

• LOL 1

I guessed the mime because when they introduced themselves he said his name, and the others didn't. They seem to have stopped saying names at all a couple seasons ago, at least, but when they did, they only said it if all three were the same gender, or it was a unisex name (since they would all say the same name). I don't know any women named Derek. I feel like he messed up.

I thought Nikki Glaser was on fire this episode (loved the "white-face" comments she made).  This was one of the funniest episodes I can recall.  I picked out hoof creator right away as I watched them walk down the steps to their chairs and she walked the most confidently/comfortably.  I couldn't figure out why the male ettiquette contestant went after RuPaul.  I was surprised that number 3 was the ettiquette expert as she had to hold her hair back and look down when coming down the steps (they always say to not look at the steps and to look straight ahead which is why I would fail as an ettiquette expert as I ALWAYS look at the steps/stairs).  But, I did like her "always be kind and generous" response to one of the questions.

Didn't like Anthony's suit-and I usually think he looks great.

• Love 4

I watched the last two episodes and haven’t seen this in awhile. They hardly asked any questions. In last night’s episode, I wondered why they didn’t ask the greatest memory person what she was doing on 12/20/98 or something memory related. Too much of Mama Doris and she isn’t that funny.

• Love 3

Didn't like Anthony's suit-and I usually think he looks great.

Also, did he always have that beard and I'm just now noticing? Not a fan.

Too much of Mama Doris and she isn’t that funny.

She really isn't. She's actually kind of mean.

• Love 5

I thought that was another panel that managed to strike a good balance between jokes and sincerely playing the guessing game.  I would follow June Diane Raphael to the ends of the Earth (fortunately she hasn't asked me to do this yet, just to buy tickets to a few lousy movies) so I'm relieved she didn't grate like a few "celebrities as themselves" have for me on these shows.

I was surprised the survivalist turned out to be the vegan, but I thought the bubba on the end was too "on the nose," and indeed it turned out he was the one from Central Casting.  There's something to be said for preparedness.  I was an Eagle Scout, after all, so I ought to know whether my earthquake kit is still in-date.  But those people take it too far and creep me out.  I don't doubt they'd gladly eat their favorite cuts of human beef off their neighbors if the lights were off for a few days.  Weirdos.

• Love 1

I loved Jason Alexander’s follow-up question to the Survivalist saying that Yes he would eat a human was “What kind of beer goes with that”! 😆 The correct answer is, of course, Fava beans and a nice Chianti. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

RE Anthony’s joke at the beginning, I know it was just that and not a history lesson, but it seemed he had forgotten that Lynn Swann was the second host of the 1990 show. I thought that was too bad, because he was pretty good. He left supposedly because of his commitments to ABC Sports, but whether that was because TTTT was on NBC at the time or he was just too busy, I don’t know.

30 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Kevin Nealon is an annoying jackass

Mileage varies. I never knew Kevin Nealon was so funny without a script.
But I can understand why some might have been irritated with him for seemingly not taking the game seriously enough.

21 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I never realized Kevin Nealon was so tall (google tells me 6'4").

Hah! Same for me. Thanks for saving me the googling. 😁

Is it just me, or was "the most interesting man" (steel sculptor) very attractive? 
Combined with his personality, he could probably make some extra bucks appearing on talk shows.
He sculptures were very impressive, even if not subjects I would like.

• Love 5
(edited)
10 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Combined with his personality, he could probably make some extra bucks appearing on talk shows.
He sculptures were very impressive, even if not subjects I would like.

He was cute and funny. I couldn't tell how much of it was him trying to throw them off or if he just didn't understand English well enough (like when they asked what's the furthest away he's sold a sculpture...he didn't seem to really understand the question).

The dragon was pretty cool.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 3

I covet that steel dragon.

Mama Doris is still cheating. She "guessed" all of them right, except the last, and even then she said she knew who it was but wanted to pick the other because he was so funny.

Retta threw that last round because she didn't want to take home that God-awful Doris statue.

Kevin Nealon is an annoying jackass

I'm old enough to remember his days on SNL and I have never, ever thought he was the  slightest bit funny. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I’m not much into game shows (with the exception of Jeopardy!), but I watched the last half of the last two episodes, and enjoyed them. A little of Anthony’s mama goes a long way. Mostly didn’t know anything about the judges except for Nealon and Alexander. Didn’t recognize Jaleel White until they said his name. Still, not a bad way to kill time on a Sunday night.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 1

I assumed they just had their faces covered because people who had watched the show might recognize him, but I should have known someone was disguising their voice.  I wonder how someone like Jaleel ends up on this show?  Maybe his agent just looks at all the casting notices from the networks, but it would be cool to think that a well-known actor who likes the show might just call in and ask to appear.

46 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I assumed they just had their faces covered because people who had watched the show might recognize him, but I should have known someone was disguising their voice.  I wonder how someone like Jaleel ends up on this show?  Maybe his agent just looks at all the casting notices from the networks, but it would be cool to think that a well-known actor who likes the show might just call in and ask to appear.

I thought *maybe* it seemed like Anthony Anderson was in on it. Anthony at least seemed to guess that he (Jaleel) was using a fake voice —and why disguise one’s voice unless to hide from someone who could recognize it? IDK. The fake voice was pretty funny. 

• Love 3
On 6/15/2021 at 10:01 AM, 853fisher said:

I thought that was another panel that managed to strike a good balance between jokes and sincerely playing the guessing game. 

I agree. June, Jason and Oliver really played the game and didn't just try to make the show about them.

I'm with the poster that asked if Anthony has always had such a thick beard? Also, I'm not really liking some of his suits and he pairs them with white sneakers.

Yeah, mama did look like she was wearing pajamas that one episode.

It's been so long since I've watched this show but didn't they used to have 4 celebrities?

Please go away mama Doris.

• Love 3

Wow.  I haven't watched the whole episode yet because Mama Doris was being particularly loud, obnoxious, and annoying.  She really ruined a lot of my enjoyment of this episode.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

It's been so long since I've watched this show but didn't they used to have 4 celebrities?

They dropped to 3 with wider spacing for covid. Probably why they are having Doris be even more vocal than usual. She truly does bring in the negative energy with her comments. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

The chalk art is really cool (but I will admit I am partial to David Zinn's more whimsical style).

I'm more on the level of the other guy who said he got 3 Ds in high school art. The only time I spent in the art room in high school was when I sprained my ankle and couldn't do gym class for a week (there was no art class that period so they used the room for a study hall). My brother got all the art genes in the family.

Don't act like that "I'm kind of a big dill" joke is original, Anthony. Damn, now I want pickles.

I cannot imagine going on national TV because I got my hand stuck in a toilet. (What exactly would your watch get caught on, anyway?) I decided it wasn't the guy because I've never seen paper towels in a hotel room.

• Love 4

What were they dipping those pickles in? What do you dip a pickle in?

I call B.S. on Mama Doris "guessing" the chalk artist. He had all three panelists fooled and seemed like the least likely candidate but Doris said she liked the way he answered the questions. She may not look all of them up on her phone before taping the show but she definitely looks some of them up.

I decided it wasn't the guy because I've never seen paper towels in a hotel room.

I thought the same thing.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I just googled this question (because I was a kid who loooved pickles - my mother called me "picklepuss" - but I've never dipped them in anything). I found recipes for dipping sauce to go with fried pickles (which I've also never had) and a sour-cream based dip that contains chopped pickles...but nothing about dipping regular pickles in anything.

Which I realize doesn't mean much, but there you go.

I just added pickles to my grocery list. Also craving a McDonald's hamburger (which I haven't had in over two years), because that last bite with the pickle is the best (I eat around it and save it for last). 😋

• Love 1

I enjoyed this episode until the final round which I didn't watch because I can not imagine 1) that the show would feature such a person/event and 2) that the person would want to be featured on a show for putting their hand down a toilet.

I really liked the chalk art and pickles segments.  The belly dancing segment got bogged down by Brad Garrett (who sure likes to dominate all of the questioning).

17 minutes ago, seacliffsal said:

I enjoyed this episode until the final round which I didn't watch because I can not imagine 1) that the show would feature such a person/event and 2) that the person would want to be featured on a show for putting their hand down a toilet.

I was bracing for something icky, but it wasn't bad at all. 

On 6/28/2021 at 3:24 PM, iMonrey said:

I haven't seen the episode yet. But, around here, restaurants serve pickles on their relish trays and everyone dips them in ranch dressing. 

(edited)
On 6/29/2021 at 7:03 PM, seacliffsal said:

The belly dancing segment got bogged down by Brad Garrett (who sure likes to dominate all of the questioning).

IMO he bogged down the entire show. What a creepy jerk. He's good on scripted shows, not so good when it's the real Brad being himself.

I LOVE pickles!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/1/2021 at 11:48 AM, saber5055 said:

I LOVE pickles!

I went to the grocery store the other day and I didn't actually put them on my list but I went down that aisle and got reminded so I picked up a small jar. Which I haven't opened yet.

Edited by ams1001

Favorite pickles: Spicy bread and butter. A favorite snack used to be slices of dill pickles on potato chips. My new low- no-salt diet put an end to that.

This show needs to team Brad Garrett with Joel McHale and a third player who makes the show all about himself instead of questioning the contestants. Seems there is one obnoxious player each episode. Not counting Mama Doris of course.

• Love 2

Last night, a rerun from the Before Times, with four contestants I've never heard of, ever. At least there wasn't one hogging the spotlight and making it all about himself, so that was a plus.

And that's all I got!

• LOL 3

I hadn’t seen last nights show and enjoyed it, especially the Laurel/Yanni guy. Alyssa Edwards is a well known drag queen from RuPaul’s Drag Race and she is great! Also like Angela from the Office. Mama Doris seemed kind of rude to Alyssa.

• Love 1

I didn't pay attention to the window washer segment, but I picked the wheelchair athlete before they even got to answer any questions. Then the pig-dress maker I pegged instantly when she said she bought her pig online from Texas and it was flown to her in Florida. The middle contestant who everyone voted for gave WAY too much information about her grandparents having a farm in Missouri where they raised cattle and hogs. I remember the CIA guy saying anyone who answers way too much to a question is lying. Besides, farm kids don't even consider dogs to be pets, rather they are livestock that lives outside year 'round. A pig would never come in the house. And farm pigs are quite different from the ones sold as pets.

At least Joel wasn't TOO irritating and smartie pants this time so that was an improvement.

• Love 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

At least Joel wasn't TOO irritating and smartie pants this time so that was an improvement.

Heh, Joel didn't have a chance to be irritating. At one point Anthony had to tell Momma to stop talking. But she started up again as soon as she got a chance.
I had been giving Momma Doris some slack because I thought she was pushing 80, but no. She was just 16 when she had Anthony as a single teen mom. So I can cut her some new slack, I guess, heh.

Anyway, Joel doesn't irritate me because I don't take this show too seriously, and mostly he makes me chuckle.

If all contests in life were fair, my dad would have been in the Whistlers Hall of Fame. Well, maybe life is fair because his usually morose mother was known to say "The Whistler's home" whenever he came in the door.

I kept trying to see the teeth of the 3 potential whistlers, since they were all old enough to likely have needed dental restorations. If I was there I would have asked them all to smile. 

Sadly, after Dad got a dental bridge in his 70s, he couldn't whistle any more. 😥
Nowadays he could have had implants that were perfectly cast to match his original teeth, but I doubt a dentist would have thought to asked if he wanted his same crooked teeth, anyway. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I am so tired of mamma Doris.  She really took over the one segment and is not entertaining.  I am also so tired of the entertainment industry finding it "humorous" when a female objectifies males when the reverse would end someone's career.  Therefore, I was not amused in the least when Doris kept saying she just wanted to keep looking at the black contestant.  Also don't find reverse racism humorous as when Anthony predicted that Doris would choose Joel to be the loser because he was "the only white" choice.  Imagine if someone singled out the "only black" choice.  So, racism and sexism is only wrong if it's directed in one way but not the other?

Here's the thing, I really do enjoy this show overall.  I like some of the questions and quips, but I also appreciate it when actions are consistent among all races/ethnic groups and sexes.  

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, Jobena said:

What with Anthony and ugly beard.

The ginormous beards seem to have sprouted on a lot of celebrities during the pandemic.

I do like beards when they are trimmed but these beards look like a wild animal is clinging to the face.

I suppose a lot of men are never going to be good at beard trimming but I thought the scruff style took care of that. 

Maybe these large, dense beards were supposed to cover double or sagging chins and jowls that developed during the pandemic?

Or maybe the beard stylists lost their jobs during the pandemic and they’re not coming back.

(edited)

Wow did Tom Lennon try to make everything about himself.  The show really drags for me when Doris or one of the panelists try to take too much of the spotlight and never give the contestants a chance to answer questions.

Edited by seacliffsal
misspelled Tom's last name...
  • Love 7

I usually like Thomas Lennon well enough but he was annoying me. And I completely missed whatever it was that prompted him to run through the audience and come back with a hand sanitizer stand. WTF was that?

The jaw harp guys amused me. 'do you get chicks?' "I get guys" ... "I don't get guys, but chicks, yes" ... "I get everyone." I sort of was leaning toward the middle guy because he kind of looked like someone who might be into folk music and that sort of thing, but at the same time I wasn't surprised it was the guy with the pierced nose, somehow.

• Love 3
(edited)

Get Thomas Lennon, Joel McHale and Mama Doris as the three panelists and the contestants won't have to answer any questions, just come out, sit down and then one stands up. That's if the three panelists stop talking about themselves long enough for Anthony to tell the real person to stand up.

I did pretty good guessing last night. Picked the Air Force One pilot (I'd love to ask him a ton load of questions, what an interesting job, worthy of its own book) and the Jaw Harp guy right away. I had a "Jaw" Harp when I was a kid, but back then it was called by another  "J" word name.

For the roller derby, I picked Curly Fries since I didn't think Whoopie Rollerberg or whatever it was, was a good derby name. Ha ha on me.

I pegged the dog masseuse as soon as he said he'd worked on a Presa Canario. Dead giveaway since the other two were stuck on "Great Dane" and one also said "German Shepherd" for biggest dog. Only a dog person would know what a Presa Canario is, so kudos to me.

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Get Thomas Lennon, Joel McHale and Mama Doris as the three panelists and the contestants won't have to answer any questions, just come out, sit down and then one stands up. That's if the three panelists stop talking about themselves long enough for Anthony to tell the real person to stand up.

Hah ha! That's sort of what I was thinking: I figured that Anthony likes having Thomas Lennon on the show because he's the only one who can out-Doris Doris. 
And because I usually talk too much too, I bet Doris approves of having Thomas Lennon on too because he makes her look better. 

I fell asleep watching the show last night and then was up all night. I couldn't sleep in either. The only thing that made me fall asleep was watching the show again. I think I saw most of the parts of the show between the 2 naps. And the few bits I saw twice were kind of cool seeing how the real Whatevers answered the questions, knowing who was who. 

• Love 2
39 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

But Chelsea Handler was not a ray of sunshine either.

That reminds me that I thought Teri Hatcher was quite good, and she was the one I thought maybe would bring the show down. Instead, IMO she was the star. (Sorry ... not sorry Mama Doris.) I'd like to see Teri back again.

• Love 4

I usually like Thomas Lennon well enough but he was annoying me. And I completely missed whatever it was that prompted him to run through the audience and come back with a hand sanitizer stand. WTF was that?

He guessed correctly in that round. Why he brought back the hand sanitizer I don't know, but it was interesting to get a glimpse of the audience. Pre-pandemic, Anthony used to poll them for each round. They never show them anymore so I kind of figured there really wasn't one. It looked like a much smaller audience spaced far apart and wearing masks.

There is something vaguely creepy about Tom Lennon, and I know I've already said this once before. I get a weird Kevin Spacey-type vibe from him.

• Love 2

I really liked Teri Hatcher.  I also saw her on Celebrity Wheel of Fortune and think she's beautiful and nice which surprises me as I had read differing opinions in the past.  I, too, would like to see her back (and less Tom Lennon, Brad Garrett, etc.).

• Love 2
(edited)
13 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

There is something vaguely creepy about Tom Lennon, and I know I've already said this once before. I get a weird Kevin Spacey-type vibe from him

Maybe it is just his physical resemblance to Kevin Spacey? Unlike many public figures, his Wikipedia page is squeaky clean: wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Lennon

Teri Hatcher was pretty and pleasant, but I appreciated Thomas Lennon’s all-in shenanigans more. He wasn’t afraid of using himself as the butt of a joke.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2