Type keyword(s) to search

Mobile Suit Gundam - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Tekkadan kills the hell out of Jasely after Orga returns their ceremonial cup to McMurdo, and he's just fine with the situation because he knew all along that Jasely was no good. Meanwhile, the anti-corruption faction in Gjallarhorn makes its move and goes public.

(edited)

Did I interpret that flashback correctly? McGillis was some desperate and impoverished street rat who got shanghied into an orphanareum that was actually a "high-class" brothel for rich pedophiles and ended up getting adopted by one of the rich clients for that client's personal use? No wonder he developed and affinity for Tekkadan.

Edited by Terrafamilia
grammar

Yep, that's about the size of it. He's at least as traumatized in his way as Orga and Mika are in theirs. His backstory reminded me of Alois from season 2 of Black Butler.

Amazingly, no one important died in this episode. It almost qualifies as a breather.

(edited)

I was going to ask, but yeah that was my interpretation too. 

We all knew it was Gaelio for a while, but the Ein reveal was news to me.  I had forgotten how much polite society abhors the Aleyia Vinyana, since our favorite urchins are all mechanically assisted.

edit:  apparently Vidar was the Norse god of ...vengeance.   Nice.

It’s a little weird that Barbatos can power its pilot even under Earth gravity, but I guess it’s just making up for a spinal cord issue anyway?

Edited by lathspel

So Orga has decided to stick with McGillis, even though he has a habit of betraying everyone around him. Because they gave their word, that's why. I'm sure that will work out well, and they certainly won't end up fighting him.

Well they really have no choice. Orga says as much in the episode. After losing support from Teiwaz,  Gjallarhorn is their only option for a benefactor. I agree that this will end bad one way or another.

Tekkadan and McGillis's forces get their butts handed to them and have to withdraw from the Big Battle. Orga figures out that he's not quite as in control of Tekkadan as he thought, since everyone else is driving his decisions..

I give up on understanding how gravity works on the Tekkadan ship (the Isarubi?).  Flashback Shino can just spin in midair but then stop somehow?

it hurts every time I see him miss with the giant banner spear weapon.  I notice Shino has the red eye like Mikazuki in that scene, though - nice touch.  

Orga should have known not to reminisce about the good old days until after the war was over and even then it's probably not a good idea. I'm not sure if anyone is going to survive this.

Does anyone what show is going to be taking this spot in three weeks?

• Love 1

I got spoiled because this thread shows up in my content. I'm not torn up about it, though. My question: exactly how much blood did Orga have? I think the absolute limit poured out of him as he staggered forth, delivering his final lines. The second big question: is Mika gonna go off the rails because Orga balanced him so well? Or is Mika too emotionally dead. She had two girls kissing him on the cheek. Anybody else would have smiled.

@ZoqFotPik . . . in case you didn't hear, Toonami picked up My Hero Academia and will slide it into the 11:30 slot, pushing FLCL and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure back thirty minutes.

That was a good ending. I was pretty sure Mikazuki's days were numbered as soon as Orga died. That little twerp Iok certainly got his. I think that was one of the more brutal deaths of the series. It was nice that at least some of the survivors got happyish endings. So Atra and Kudelia ended up together and are raising Mika's son? Didn't see that coming but okay. I mean I knew Atra was pregnant, but I didn't think she and Kudelia would raise the child together.

Interesting that McGillis, Orga and Mika all died without reaching their stated immediate goals, but ended up achieving their ultimate goals - A less corrupt Gjallarhorn and a Mars where the survivors can have a better life.

I'm sure that Mika's kid will be a protagonist in some future installment of Gundam.

Pick an epitaph.

"Iron Blood Orphans: They raised their flag . . . and it got lowered, shredded and shat upon."

"Iron Blood Orphans: They couldn't get a bigger memorial for Tekkadan?"

"Iron Blood Orphans: Well, Iok went out like a total punk. That counts as 'good,' right?"

Gundam: Origin is more about the origin of Zeon?  Interesting. 

That’s some serious atmospheric variation between a car bombing (the redhead did it) and a lost cat rescue.

First episode: A LOT OF PEOPLE YELLING AND BEING MAD. Also, a kitty cat fucks a dude up in flashbacks. I'm thinking Lucifer isn't gonna be with us for long.

20 hours ago, lathspel said:

Gundam: Origin is more about the origin of Zeon?  Interesting.

To be colloquial: dem's the Space Nazis, right?

On 7/8/2019 at 6:18 PM, Lantern7 said:

To be colloquial: dem's the Space Nazis, right?

I honestly don’t know Gundam enough to say.  At best they are freedom fighters?

I feel like their cyclops mechs are intended to make me distrust them, so I’m trying to fight that feeling.  

This ep:  those kids are never seeing their Mom again.  Also, it’s surprising that those living on a space colony have never seen the start.  

These kids have enough troubles that mentally I think of them as the Starks.  I’ll think of some good words for their House if I can ever not chuckle when someone says “spacenoid”.

It was cool to see the beginning of be references to NewTypes, as well as the first mobile worker (with umbilical power cables a la Evangelion!).  I’ve never really had the Gundam universe straight in my head and this series is really helping.  

On 7/28/2019 at 6:01 PM, Terrafamilia said:

I do hope Casval wasn't aware of that over the top assassination attempt when he switched places with Char because otherwise, dang, that was cold.

I’m thinking he must’ve been. 

So is it a retcon that Char is really Daikun’s son, or was that always the Gundam universe?  Because wow, mind blown.

Seems like the one year war theoretically would’ve started when the cadets took over the Federation garrison (another case where Casval was super cold to an acquaintance), but really it didn’t start until Zeon shot first in U.C. 0079?

The new credits were amazing, hands down.  

The ep with the colony drop really laid on the feels (although the random couple they introduced felt slightly forced), but at the same time left me wondering how most of humanity let Zeon amass so much power so quickly.  I know it’s a metaphor, etc.

(Having watched Lost this summer, I couldn’t help but chuckle that Gundam Origin also had to show me both the Sydney Harbor Bridge and the Opera House, to make sure I knew the drop location was Sydney.)

Edited by lathspel

Somehow we spent more time on a fleet battle than the extermination of 1/4 of earthbound humanity, and it had less emotional impact.  

(I felt slightly better about the colony drop after reading that the population of Earth was 2 billion at the time - the other 9 billion of humanity having moved into space colonies already.  But still, 500 million people plus the population of a colony is no joke.)