Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: No One

• Start Topic

While Jaime weighs his options, Cersei answers a request. Tyrion’s plans bear fruit. Arya faces a new test.

Reminder: There is open air book talk here. If you are just watching the TV show and you don't want to stumble into a potential spoiler you should leave now. Book Talk assumes you have read all the books to date. Any information from unpublished books, such as preview chapters should be in spoiler tags.

(edited)

Damn Tyrion screwed up, big time. I don't see Dany taking his advice anytime soon.

I have a feeling that Arya will be returning to the faceless men in the near future.

Good job, Jamie. The Jamie Brienne reunion was dare I say it? Sweet.

Tommen, you're an idiot. See how far you'll get listen to the Sparrow.

All that hound hype up and that's what we get?

What's with all these off screen deaths? Are they trying to save money or something?

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 1
(edited)

A girl has magical healing properties that allow her to do parkour the day after being gut-stabbed.  Seriously?

Hey Daenerys, nice to see you.  You know that dragon you just rode in on?  We could use it right now.  Would you mind calling it back?

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 17
(edited)

Welcome back Arya! So glad that story is over, I still don't see the point of it besides being a waste of a couple of seasons.

Liked the comedy gold between Bronn and Pod, glad I didn't have to see the Blackfish go down, so sick of Jaime and his Cersie lurve, yay to no more trial by combat.

Edited by dizzyd
  • Love 6
(edited)

I was glad to see them close the loop about where the HECK Needle was all this time. 

But alas, no Syrio Forel in the episode.

Hey book readers -- I have a vague memory of Jamie threatening to hurl Edmure's son over the battlements and that the threat worked.  Is that right?  Are we back on book for a while?  Did the Blackfish die in the book?  (It's been too long for me.)

Edited by WatchrTina
Just now, WatchrTina said:

I was glad to see them close the loop about where the HECK needle was all this time. 

But alas, no Syrio Forel in the episode.

Speaking of which. Was Arya's plan for the waif to get cocky and chase her to where needle was? Because that plan seems to have a lot of weird variables.

• Love 14

Though I'd given up on seeing Stoneheart, the smallest part of me kept hoping she would appear, or would at least be mentioned, after Lady Crane's maternal display and repeated mentions of Catelyn.  No such luck.

• Love 12
1 minute ago, placate said:

I get why they'd have Drogon destroy the ships off-screen, cgi and budget and all, but how dare they kill Blackfish off-screen!

I'm pretty sure he isn't.  At least not completely destroying that fleet, since they need to leave something for Yara and Theon to do.  I will admit I clapped like a little kid when I realized that Drogon landing was what caused the pyramid to shake so much, considering he's the size of a small passenger jet.  I did wonder where Dany found a change of clothes.

I also wondered when Lancel became a brunette.  I guess the High Septon doesn't let him bleach his hair any more?

Repurposing Jaime's "with a trebuchet" speech was kind of lame and awful ("I have to get back to Cercei!") but I guess it worked.

All those theories about Arya not being Arya, or her faking her death with mummer tricks -- nope!  She was just an idiot last episode.  I did like that they used her blindness-training as the reason she was able to beat the Waif.  And it's nice that she's headed back to Westeros after two seasons of wheel spinning.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Oscirus said:

I have a feeling that Arya will be returning to the faceless men in the near future.

Huh?  This episode established quite definitively that has no interest in being a Faceless Man (incidentally, I have no idea how what she did was supposed to mean she was finally "No One").

Well, Lord Dondarrion's appearance should finally put rumours of Lady Stoneheart to rest.

• Love 13

Like the Hound, I'm not sure I'm going to buy that the Blackfish is dead. I mean, he probably is, but I'm still going to cling to a wee sliver of hope.

I loved Lady Crane with Arya. Just that brief scene made me want to know more about her. I wonder if she had a daughter before she became a Mummer and she died? Is that why her scenes with Joffrey dying during the play are so emotional? I want to know more!

Glad that Arya is finally heading home. And unlike others, I didn't mind her side trip to Braavos. I think it showed her training did pay off when she was able to kill the Waif. In the dark, no less.

I know there is a lot of hate for Cersei, but kudos to Lena Heady for playing her so well. You could read the quiet panic on her face when Tommen declared no more trial by combat.

I like where they're going with the Hound. Also glad to see that the BWB is still on the good side of things, AND that Beric and Co. clearly know about the WW threat.

Mereen was sort of meh this week. Except for Missandei with the wine. And Varys. Dany came home with a look on her face like "what the fuck, guys?"

• Love 16

Was tense throughout the episode even though nothing really happened.

Glad the Brotherhood without Banners hasn't gone completely evil(although I'm still mad about Gendry).

I think they deliberately had the Waif run like the T-1000 Terminator!

I know people hate how Jamie isn't like in the books by now, but he is consistent with his character throughout the TV series. He will do anything for Cersei.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

Though I'd given up on seeing Stoneheart, the smallest part of me kept hoping she would appear, or would at least be mentioned, after Lady Crane's maternal display and repeated mentions of Catelyn.  No such luck.

There's always next week... And the week after that. I'm torn between a Stoneheart-like character being the Hound, or newly returned Arya.  

I don't understand at all how Jaime knew his plan would work - that he just knew knew knew the Castellan would follow honor rules or whatever, that even if he did, that anyone/everyone would go along with it too. I don't buy that writing.

I also don't understand at all how Arya beating/killing the Terminator meant that she was now "No One" to Jaqen. Huh?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, lmsweb said:

Mereen was sort of meh this week. Except for Missandei with the wine. And Varys. Dany came home with a look on her face like "what the fuck, guys?"

Varys mentioning his return to Westeros made me squee, since that meant the epilogue of ADWD is likely to happen now.

• Love 8

Also:  Brienne knows that Oathkeeper was forged from Ice, the Stark family sword, and that it is a Valyrian steel blade at a time when those blades are rather vital to the War for the Dawn, and she was about to give it back to the Lannisters?  The hell?

• Love 13

It still annoys me to no end that Jaime is this fixated on Cersei.  Edmure not letting the Blackfish go annoys me too and the whole “I’m not running” thing could have been avoided if they had just let Blackfish stay behind at Riverrun.  Him being at the Red Wedding made no sense to me.

That being said, I thought the Riverrun stuff was excellent.  Jaime and Edmure absolutely brought it, Jaime and Brienne (Jaime’s one redeeming weakness at this point) still have it and Brienne and Blackfish was really good too.  This was definitely the strongest part of the episode.

I take it that “old rumor” Qyburn brought up was the wildfire.  I didn’t expect it to come into motion this early.  It’s a shame that burning down a city is probably the only thing that can get Jaime’s head out of Cersei’s ass.

The Hound joining the returning Brotherhood was a good development.

Tyrion, Grey Worm and Missandi was better this week but I was very glad when the Meereen siege happened.  Glad when Dany showed up too.

Really liked the Arya and Lady Crane stuff.  Terminator Waif was ridiculous (thought like Blackfish this was another oddly off-camera death) but was glad that it led to Arya reclaiming her name and going back to Westeros. 

I know it doesn’t quite sound that way but I really enjoyed this episode.  Next week, a good old-fashioned Bastard Throwdown!

• Love 15

Huh?  This episode established quite definitively that has no interest in being a Faceless Man (incidentally, I have no idea how what she did was supposed to mean she was finally "No One").

I think the idea was that by besting the Waif, she had 'proven' her badass FM credentials-the problem is she's NOT interested.

Good riddance to the Waif.  The Blackfish though I'll miss.

Did like Edmure's whole speech to Jaime and you can see Jaime struggling because deep down he KNOWS Edmure's right and that team Lannister sucks wastewater.  Seriously, don't try to pull the "they rebelled against their rightful king" card when you know better than anyone that the whole claim is a complete sham.  But I did LOVE his moments with Brienne. 

Of course this raises the question, when will Jaime finally open his eyes about Cersei?!?

So Brienne, Pod, the Hound, and Arya are all heading to Winterfell.  Thank the Old Gods and the New.  I mean no offense to Lena and the rest of the crew in KL, but right now I couldn't care LESS what happens in the Red Keep...the REAL action is up North.  Also happy that Dany's FINALLY back in Mereen so hopefully she'll soon be sailing West.

• Love 13
(edited)

Well once again I gave the writers of this show a little too much credit. The Jaqen = Arya plot was apparently too clever an idea for them. 

Episode 8 last season gave us "Hardhome" and last season was terrible. This definitely was not even that. 

Edited by sumiregusa
Apparently I repeat myself talking about boring episodes
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, SeanC said:

I have the feeling that the person who kills a FM has to replace them type of deal. She's done with them for now but I'd be shocked if she didn't return one way or the other.

• Love 1
Just now, Oscirus said:

I have the feeling that the person who kills a FM has to replace them type of deal.

Based on what?  If that was the case, why would Jaqen let her go?  And beyond that, being a Faceless Man requires a certain temperament, which Arya clearly doesn't have.  She is a Stark.  That's the whole point of that story.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Also:  Brienne knows that Oathkeeper was forged from Ice, the Stark family sword, and that it is a Valyrian steel blade at a time when those blades are rather vital to the War for the Dawn, and she was about to give it back to the Lannisters?  The hell?

Question is; do they somehow get Widow's Wail also and how?

Rumor question by Qyburn most likely where Tyrion has the rest of the Wildfire stashed.

4 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

Was tense throughout the episode even though nothing really happened.

Glad the Brotherhood without Banners hasn't gone completely evil(although I'm still mad about Gendry).

I think they deliberately had the Waif run like the T-1000 Terminator!

I know people hate how Jamie isn't like in the books by now, but he is consistent with his character throughout the TV series. He will do anything for Cersei.

Jaime’s portrayal has been consistent on the show but that doesn’t mean it’s been good.  I’ve never understood D&D’s dislike of the Jaime character while they have a love affair with the Cersei character.  It’s caused them to utterly botch one of the best character arcs in the books.  But it isn’t a surprise since they’ve botched the Stannis character and the North Remembers.  They would have botched the Theon character arc as well if it wasn’t for Alfie Allen’s performance.

• Love 16

Braavos wasn't a complete bust. At least Arya learned to fight.

Sad that Lady Crane died.  

Sansa is going to have no choice but to accept Littlefingers army.

I don't really understand why Edmur cared that much for a baby he'd never seen. And what does he think is going to happen to his army when the Freys and Lannisters take over?

• Love 4

The Arya story line is so ridiculous. I guess she is such a special snow flake that she can recover from gut wounds  like I recover from a hang nail. I have given up on show Jaime. I wonder what GRRM has told Benioff and Weiss about the fate of Books Jaime. I fear as a fan of books Jaime I am screwed either way .

I can't say I have liked this season. I wonder whether these last two episodes will change my mind?

• Love 4

Some other questions: 

1.  What was Lady Crane using a stool to grab off the top shelf?  It looked like a potion / poison vial or something, and she seemed to have a "this is important" look about her.  I guess it isn't relevant since we're leaving Braavos behind never to be seen again hallelujah.

2.  Cercei and Qyburn had a cryptic conversation about a rumor being true.  I think the speculation on how her trial will end just got confirmed.

3.  What was Varys's secret mission?  "We need friends in Westeros, and we need ships."  The two of those together sound like he's going to the Iron Islands, but narratively that doesn't make sense because Yara and Theon and Euron are already headed (or soon to be headed) to Meereen.  I know Varys doesn't know that, but the writers do, and it doesn't seem like they'd send him off on a wild goose chase with so few episodes left.  (GRRM would definitely send him on a wild goose chase because he's got 3-17k pages left to write).

I laughed when Tommen canceled Cleganebowl. What an anticlimactic way to crush fanboys' dreams. Of course, with two separate reminders in this episode that Cersei wants Sansa dead and the Hound heading north, I think Cleganebowl has just been postponed and moved to a new venue. 

• Love 19

I didn't like it.  Mainly because it centered on the stories I am the least interested in.   Dany and Mereen?  Yawn.   The only scene I liked was the one he had with Varys.   Good to see he is on his way back to Westeros.  I miss him being where the action is.

Area's nonsense?  So all that and the glorified Black and White Clubhouse is going to just let her walk away with a "We, Understand, We're not for everyone."?!?!?!?!?  Such a waste of screen time.    I had a feeling GRRM would have Arya "Mary Sue" her way out of the gordian knot that is her storyline, maybe it will be marginally less eye-roll worthy then what the show did but oh brother.   Just ugh.   Best thing about her scenes was Essie Davis.

LOVED the tension of Kings Landing.   You can see in Cersei's eyes how she feels the walls are closing in on her.  To bad she played her Mountain card so early, it allowed the High Sparrow to play his own and hand and it once again trumped hers.   It was also really good to see the Kings Landing Court assembled again.  It's easy to forget that it's not only The Lannisters and Tyrells that occupy the Red Keep.   And everyone walking away from Cersei like she has the plague.

Jaimie's scenes with Brienne were good.   Interesting comments from him about how girls "like Sansa don't live long."   He at his core, is a Lannister so him remaining loyal to his House did not surprise me.    Sad to see Lannister flags hanging from the Home of Catelyn Stark and House Tully.

Ready for next week.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, SeanC said:

Based on what?  If that was the case, why would Jaqen let her go?  And beyond that, being a Faceless Man requires a certain temperament, which Arya clearly doesn't have.  She is a Stark.  That's the whole point of that story.

Based on the fact that he called her a FM as soon as he found out what she did. You don't create a storyline around a death cult and just have her up and leave it when she wants to without any consequence other then she can fight in the dark. That would be a waste of two seasons.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure I caught a glimpse of the Queen of Thorns in the crowd when Cersie walked into the throne room.  That can't be right, can it?  Shouldn't she have gotten the hell out of town already?

• Love 2

For not a lot of action I did a lot of sitting on my hands.  

It was tough to get into the episode given the horrific events I woke up to but overall liked it.

Not happy about the Blackfish dying offscreen but I kind of admired Edmure for taking charge and yielding.  No more unnecessary deaths of innocents.

The Hound saved the episode.  I really enjoyed his RAMMMMPAAAGE! And his newfound friendship with the Brotherhood.  Then again I feel like the only one who is ok with them not including Stoneheart.

Arya is going home praise the old/new seven lord of many faced drowned baby jesus.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, magdalene said:

The Arya story line is so ridiculous. I guess she is such a special snow flake that she can recover from gut wounds  like I recover from a hang nail. I have given up on show Jaime. I wonder what GRRM has told Benioff and Weiss about the fate of Books Jaime. I fear as a fan of books Jaime I am screwed either way .

I can't say I have liked this season. I wonder whether these last two episodes will change my mind?

I never believed in Jamie's redemption 100 % he may get back to Cersei, discover she's batshit crazy and try to head North just to fail and die.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Captain Stable said:

I think too much time has passed for the Stoneheart plot to every happen now.

Edmure said he'd been a prisoner for "years" since the Red Wedding, so I think Cat will be too decomposed by now to be brought back. 

I agree that Lady Stoneheart won't appear, but I think it's possible there will be a character who brings vengeance to the Frays and Lannisters in a similar manner, whether as part of the BWOB or on his/her own.

It sounds like the BWOB are gearing up for the real war, which is interesting since most of the Southerners don't believe in the White Walkers. Then again, maybe Rhollorians can read it in the flames. 

I actually laughed at Missandei's terrible joke. I laughed at Tyrion's too, but I kind of feel like the banter between those three is filler to give Peter Dinklage something to do. 

I'm glad Arya is leaving Braavos. I'm glad to see Dany and Drogon back in Mereen, but I really hope the rest of the Mereen story speeds along as quickly as the rest of this season has. It's the least interesting part of the show. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

I'm pretty sure I caught a glimpse of the Queen of Thorns in the crowd when Cersie walked into the throne room.  That can't be right, can it?  Shouldn't she have gotten the hell out of town already?

I don't think it was her. I saw the same person you're thinking about  and when I looked more closely the woman appears much younger than the QoT.

4 minutes ago, kittykat said:

For not a lot of action I did a lot of sitting on my hands.  

It was tough to get into the episode given the horrific events I woke up to but overall liked it.

Not happy about the Blackfish dying offscreen but I kind of admired Edmure for taking charge and yielding.  No more unnecessary deaths of innocents.

The Hound saved the episode.  I really enjoyed his RAMMMMPAAAGE! And his newfound friendship with the Brotherhood.  Then again I feel like the only one who is ok with them not including Stoneheart.

Arya is going home praise the old/new seven lord of many faced drowned baby jesus.

You're not the only one. I was dreading them bringing Lady Stoneheart into the show. I'm glad to see it doesn't appear they are going there.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Captain Stable said:

Didn't Tyrion use all the Wildfire during Season 2?

No, there were thousands of cannisters, he told the pyromancers, they won't make them for Cersei any longer just for him at the Blackwater.

There are many around KL.