Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
DollEyes

Muhammad Ali (1942-2016)

The death of Muhammad Ali is a true loss, to sports and humanity. He was truly an endangered species: someone who not only lived up to their hype, they surpassed it. Muhammad Ali was one of a kind, in and out of the ring. He stood up for what he believed in, no matter what the cost. One of my favorite memories of Muhammad Ali was his lighting the torch at the 1996 Summer Olympics. Parkinson's disease had long since taken its toll, but seeing him standing at the top of those steps, as proud and brave as ever, he spoke volumes about courage without saying a word:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEhNDUwksvV

:

RIP, Muhammad Ali. You were, and always will be, The Greatest.

Edited by DollEyes · Reason: To add video.
  • Like 2

I have so many memories, I'm not even sure I can adequately express them right now.

ESPN did a wonderful tribute to Ali last night. Jeremy Shaap shared his father's memories of Ali and they showed clips of him and Howard Cosell. Michael Wilbon and Stephen A smith shared how their father's fondness for Ali got them to love boxing.

• Like 1

Parkinson's is a terrible way to go, yet Ali maintained his dignity throughout. RIP to a hero for the world.

• Like 2

On a humorous note, the one thing Ali couldn't do was sing.  I still remember the horrendous rendition of "Stand by Me."  Bless his heart.

When I was six years old, I got to meet Ali. It was during his suspension years and my dad had arranged for him to come speak at the university he was teaching at.

Ali and his assistants arrived early, so during the thirty minutes before the speech we just kind of hung out. He asked me about school. We took some pictures and did some shadow boxing. 

At that age I really had no idea how famous or important he was. He was just a cool adult. Even though he was one of the most famous people in the world, he made the moment about me. 

• Like 13

George Foreman said he was too upset to go, and I can certainly understand that.  He said that he wanted to remember Ali the way he was the last time he saw him.

Tell me how Sugar Ray Leonard has not aged?

I love the symmetry of Jeremy Schaap covering the funeral because I was just reading stuff the other day from Dick Schaap interviewing The Greatest.

The burial ceremony is now over and that makes me saddest of all.

I haven't watched  all of  the funeral service but I did catch a friend, John Ramsey, who was really good, both touching and humorous.  Also saw a couple of daughters I had never seen before. Billy Crystal is on now.  The son sitting next to Lonnie Ali looks just like Ali.

I watched from start to finish.  It was amazing, all of it, even what I could not understand.

Of course, being from Syracuse, listening to Iman Zaid Shakir pronounce Onondaga cracked me the hell up.  It's not quite as exotic as he made it sound.

I'm really amazed ESPN went over three hours without a commercial break.  Did other networks have continuous coverage?

Edited by mojoween

I took a look at my photo album. I totally forgot that we had a weigh in when I met Ali!

The speech was in an old fieldhouse and the locker room we were waiting in had a (now) old fashioned beam balance scale. So I have a photo of me standing on the scale, flexing my skinny arms while Ali is adjusting the weights!

• Like 2