Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: No Beast So Fierce

This episode should be titled "Ethan's Three Dads."

Overall, I have liked the Western SL this season for being something different, the cinematography, and the focus on Malcolm and Ethan. I love the ending shot of Malcolm which was replica of Dalton's promo shots from License to Kill.

However, it's been going for too long. They could have done all these things two episodes ago. We're six out of 10 episodes in and Ethan and Malcolm have not had a scene with Vanessa. It's frustrating to hear how Vanessa knew she had a protector but he left.

I honestly can't blame Vanessa for falling for Sweet/Dracula. I think the character and actor have played it well. While she is healing and gaining confidence, she literally has no friends left in town so she would be susceptible to falling for this sensitive professor type. This was the first time Vanessa had sex and didn't get that possessed. As usual, this won't end well for Vanessa though.

Don't care about the Dorian, Lily, and Victor plot all that much.

Glad Hecate, Talbot, and Rusk were done for. I like the actor who plays Rusk, but they've dragged his arc out long enough.

• Love 5

Having Jared Talbot twirl his mustache is definitely intended to justify murdering him. But it's not really good writing I think because it's phony characterization. For one thing, how does anybody get away with that kind of mass murder of law men and nobody notices? The OK corral gunfight  merely wounded one, yet it was notorious. You hire Brian Cox to spout this dialogue because without an amazing actor it would sound ridiculous. I'm a little puzzled as to why the Talbots were supposed to let themselves be killed without fighting back, though. 

Dorian could be interesting. For one thing, the way his true monster self is shackled in the painting is remarkably suggestive. But of course the show has subordinated Dorian to servicing Bronastein's faux feminist martyr/killer. To me, since I remember the novel, it seems inevitable that Dorian would be tempted to try Dr. Jekyll's treatment. But near as I can make out, Logan has been reduced to following too many notes from Showtime, instead of writing his own thing as he wants. By this point, I think it's getting very League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in the way it's turning so many of what its characters into the opposite of what they were in the books. 

That's not true of Vanessa, but Vanessa is the most powerful character of all. But they disappear her powers so they can repeat the story of a stalwart band saving her. This is the third season in a row they've done that!

• Love 2

OK, I just watched the trailer for the next epi, and seems like Ethan is finally going back to Vanessa.

But you know what? I'm kinda pissed at Ethan right now because it would seem to mean that one of the main reasons (Other than his Apache dad having a vision of Vanessa in trouble) he's going back to our lovely Vanessa now is only because that annoying bald-headed leotard-dressing clown was so rightfully shot dead.

Like WTF Ethan? What happened to you? Sheesh, I really missed Season 2 Ethan....

• Love 5
15 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I think Ethan's father had a good reason to be furious with him. Why were we supposed to think he was so evil?

It was horrible how his family was slaughtered.  However, he had no problem practicing genocide on a whole race of people, because he considered them less then human.  He made his fortune on the blood of the men, women, and children he exterminated.  His family were innocent victims of those same people trying to get revenge.

• Love 4

Sorry, I don't think the guy playing Sweet is sexy or charismatic at all.

8 hours ago, qtpye said:

It was horrible how his family was slaughtered.  However, he had no problem practicing genocide on a whole race of people, because he considered them less then human.  He made his fortune on the blood of the men, women, and children he exterminated.  His family were innocent victims of those same people trying to get revenge.

I missed the part about how he made his fortune so I didn't factor that in. Besides, I love Brian Cox!

• Love 2

It is not at all clear that Jared Talbot's money had anything to do with killing Apaches. There are some vague references to a ranch. But that desert is not going to make a man rich from raising cows, much less horses.

However, it's been going for too long. They could have done all these things two episodes ago. We're six out of 10 episodes in and Ethan and Malcolm have not had a scene with Vanessa. It's frustrating to hear how Vanessa knew she had a protector but he left.

I for one do not need Vanessa inserted into every storyline to enjoy it - in fact I would probably like this show a lot more if they just got rid of Vanessa altogether, especially if they're just going to do that same thing with her every season.

That said, I do think they devoted an awful lot of time to a part of Ethan's history that still doesn't make a whole lot of sense while ignoring the more obvious question of how he became a werewolf! It's a strange writing choice for his character.

• Love 2

I had sort of hoped the twin mysteries of the Talbot fortune and Ethan's lupine curse might be related.

But the only realistic way that parcel of land would be the source of substantial family wealth and power at that time would be if there were mineral and water rights attached and something worth mining underneath. Which would mean that it came at the expense of the Chiricahua and others previously living there.

But that is all speculation and anything that requires so much fanwanking on our part is a failure of storytelling on their part.

On June 9, 2016 at 6:47 AM, Athena said:

I like the actor who plays Rusk, but they've dragged his arc out long enough.

LOL @ Ethan's 3 Dads. Make that into a madcap sitcom format (only an hour instead of 30 minutes) and that would be a bottle episode I could get behind.

I will miss Rusk. The arc was getting tired, but I think he was underused and under-imagined. The gang could use a friend at the Met.

• Love 3
(edited)

Considering Rusk's story about losing an arm, yet still pursuing the bandit and dragging him in to justice, I don't think he's done yet. Dude was obsessed with knowing what Ethan was, I'm starting to suspect that perhaps he too is a werewolf and is looking for some answers of his own.

Man, they really depowered Hecate. Though I guess it would make sense that she would be weaker now that the coven is broken and Kali's not sacrificing up babies to Satan every week? Maybe she basically got fired from being evil, which explains why she was so desperate to turn Ethan to darkness. Maybe she was trying to get her skillzzz back. 

Dr. Sweet's actor the hotness to me, so I'm kind of down for romance line. But seriously, Vanessa, scorpion test everyone. Such an easy solution, so easy. Maybe this is leading to Vanessa to being ruler of all the dark and broken things. Would get her boundless empathy somewhere to go and would keep her from delivering herself right to evil's doorstep.

Umph, I knew Malcom was going to shoot Daddy Talbot. The minute Daddy Talbot sneered at him, he initiated the Highlander protocol and Malcom Murray loses to no one.

Literally do not care or understand Ethan's entire storyline. 

I half expect Jekyll will try to mindwipe Victor so they can go back to being the steamy lovers they used to me. Every scene with those two, Jekyll is creepy as hell.

Everyone screaming their heads off upon looking at Caliban is really becoming ridiculous. 

Edited by rozen
  • Love 2

I really wish they would give Victor something else to do. Have his good friend Dr. Jekyll go all Mr. Hyde on him! Have Caliban come to him asking for a science-y cure for his son’s illness! Have him run into Vanessa and Dracula and then have him totally question Dracula’s science-y cred! He and Dorian can have hate-sex!

You know who could geek out with the new character over studying death? Victor!

Anything (anything at all!) would be more interesting than having him keep obsessing over Lily.

I am still hoping for that immortal showdown between Lily and Dorian, though. Looks like we're heading there. Albeit very, veeeery slowly. Clearly the show hadn't forgotten that Dorian used Brona for the novelty of "fucking a dying creature" (as he put it). So yeah, now she is using him very deliberately, as payback. Right? Right? I sure hope so, anyway. Because if she's not using him on purpose, if she actually trusts him, then she is not as smart as I thought she was.

• Love 4
On 09.06.2016 at 6:47 PM, Athena said:

So you mean he's Barry Allen?

I actually kinda dig Vanessa/Sweet. I mean, I know he's Dracula and whatnot, but dammit, it's so cute, despite being a 100% lie (for him). I guess it's because I love Vanessa so much and it's really nice to see her happy, for once.

Malcolm shooting Talbot felt a bit OOC, but now that I thought about it, I see it more as wanting to save Ethan from temptation and danger rather than wanting to kill Talbot himself. So in that sense, it worked. Still, a bit odd.

No idea where this Lily storyline is going, but I expect a team-up between Dorian and Victor. I'm really irked this plotline is completely removed from the rest of the show. Seriously, would it kill the writers to let Vanessa and Victor talk at least once?

Skipped John Clare's parts, don't know, don't care. His past self interests me way more that current. Also, he used to be so much more likable.

Clearly the show hadn't forgotten that Dorian used Brona for the novelty of "fucking a dying creature" (as he put it). So yeah, now she is using him very deliberately, as payback. Right? Right? I sure hope so, anyway.

Yeah, I expected her to throw that in his face during this episode, but she didn't, so it's clearly coming down the line.

6 hours ago, Bec said:

Clearly the show hadn't forgotten that Dorian used Brona for the novelty of "fucking a dying creature" (as he put it). So yeah, now she is using him very deliberately, as payback. Right? Right? I sure hope so, anyway. Because if she's not using him on purpose, if she actually trusts him, then she is not as smart as I thought she was.

Well, when the show keeps telling us Victor Frankenstein is a monster for the hissy fit he threw when she dumped him during his first date out with her, it sure seems like the show has forgotten that. I haven't which is why so many scenes make Bronastein look ridiculous. It would be something of a save to find out it was all a deep laid plot on her part. The only problem there is, what's she using him for. Room and board, clothes and a murder party? If she doesn't get bunches of money so that she has the capital for her schemes, she's wasting her time, I think.

On June 10, 2016 at 9:17 PM, rozen said:

Umph, I knew Malcom was going to shoot Daddy Talbot. The minute Daddy Talbot sneered at him, he initiated the Highlander protocol and Malcom Murray loses to no one.

Yes, I was kind of glad Sr. Malcolm killed Daddy Talbot, because that guy would not. shut. up.  Also Sr. Malcolm told Ethan's dad that no matter what, Ethan was still his son and Malcolm himself would give anything to have a meal with HIS son.  Talbot couldn't appreciate that he had one son who was alive, while Sr. Malcolm wishes his son were still alive.  

• Love 2
On 6/6/2016 at 7:17 AM, sjohnson said:

Dorian became immortal through the Power of Art. The painter Basil Hallward's passion for Dorian enabled him to capture Dorian's soul and put it on canvas. Since it is the soul that really matters, the painting shows the ravages of time, while the mere body left behind, does not. 

If I remember correctly, the novel is reserved about giving ages, but Dorian is a boy, probably meaning anywhere from fifteen to twenty (twenty one being the legal age of majority in a period where that mattered.) Reeve Carney is too old, strictly speaking, but casting age appropriate would be...inflammatory. If Dorian had been a female he would have been automatically enrolled into Lily's charm school. Fortunately in PD feminism this is irrelevant. That means we don't need to see Ferdinand Lyle as a villain who should be slaughtered for a feel good moment. 

PS Frankenstein as the villain because he's unforgivably MRA fails not just because it lets him off the hook for things like epic fail playing God of a new race. It fails because Lily does need to be cured. The feminism coming out of her mouth is a horror show caricature.

^^^^^This, so much. Yes!

It's all going wrong.    The first two seasons were stellar, but this?   What was the trip to the American desert but one great big race to nowhere?   Now that it's done, they hit rewind and go back?  When the season's mostly over?  What a waste.   Hecate should have died in the fire with her mother; her survival added nothing to this season but some prolonged second-rate acting.

Speaking of which ... Justine.  Ugh.  Like a bad Claudia (Interview with the Vampire) audition.   And Billie Piper is getting worse with each episode.   Meanwhile, Dorian is like, "I'm still in this show, right?"

The Dracula storyline is weak too.   Somebody explain to me how Dracula had the foresight to take a day job at the natural history museum on the off-chance that Vanessa would one day come wandering in.  The actor himself is not convincing in the least.  He lacks all quality of intimidation -- for crying out loud, he looks like Anthony Weiner!    About as effective as Michael Nouri as Dracula in that old NBC Cliffhangers series.  Or maybe Chris Sarandon in Fright Night. 

I can't believe this is how the series ends.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 1

If Dracula can mesmerize people as in the novel (not that much of a reach for a fallen angel who can hack Vanessa's Lucifer-prompted hallucinations from afar), he might not have been masquerading as Dr. Sweet that long. If not for the co-worker interrupting him in their first meeting, I'd have said that he could have showed up after his minions first tracked Vanessa to the museum, and inserted himself into the curator position after the fact.