Type keyword(s) to search

The $100,000 Pyramid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I love Josh Malina. He was pretty good.

You're not allowed to use your hands in the Winner's Circle but you're allowed to stomp your feet? I thought the point was that you aren't allowed to act things out.

Erica was frustrating to watch in that first round but she did much better in the second.

So glad she did better in the second round.  You could tell it hurt her confidence.

8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Places with clowns is pretty tough beyond the circus. Tiny car was good.

I was trying to think how you could get a Pennywise reference in there within the rules. Not sure 'in a sewer grate' would have gotten them there...

The British category, when he said "Where the Queen Lives", with this week's news, I wonder how long it will take for people to start thinking of it as "Where the King lives".  It's probably going to take a few years at least (and not just due to a backlog of shows) .

• Like 1

For "Things That Land," how about "a boxer's accurate punch?"

7 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I was trying to think how you could get a Pennywise reference in there within the rules. Not sure 'in a sewer grate' would have gotten them there...

I was trying to think along those lines too.  "The 'It' movie sewer'"?  I'd be worried that "It" wouldn't come across clearly orally.  Maybe just "Pennywise's sewer."

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, 853fisher said:

For "Things That Land," how about "a boxer's accurate punch?"

That's a very good one.

Although I never watched either "It" movie, I'm aware of the reference. I'm sure if you gave me the clue of "The 'It' sewer grate" I would have gotten clowns.

What about "A circus. A child's birthday party. Children's nightmares." I wonder if "Bozo's house" would pass. 

• LOL 1

I'm fine with the stomping, since the rules are you can't use your hands. Grimaces and facial expressions and other body movements are fine.

Plus, the clue wasn't exactly related to stomping (ie it isn't "Something you do on Riverdance"), it's an (allowed) random body action which let's her get to the vocal clue she actually gave. 

It is admittedly an edge case that may be disallowed in the future now that it has happened; but overall I'm fine with it. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Great respect and empathy to the widowed father of five but I have to be a little concerned that he wanted to fit out his van with an office so he could work while taking his kids to the beach. Dude! You have to watch your kids at the beach!  Unless there were things I missed like his kids are now in their 20s…

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Great respect and empathy to the widowed father of five but I have to be a little concerned that he wanted to fit out his van with an office so he could work while taking his kids to the beach. Dude! You have to watch your kids at the beach!  Unless there were things I missed like his kids are now in their 20s…

That's EXACTLY what I thought when he said that!  How can he keep an eye on them if he's busy working?

Again I ask . . . how old are these shows? Superstore has been off the air for more than a year. But Lauren Ash and Niko Santos were both quite good - Ash was really good. 

It's interesting that Michael is allowed to say "Read it again" when they misread the clue or the subject, it seems like interference, but I recall Dick Clark doing the same, so I guess it's always been allowed.

Nicole Byer and Jermaine Fowler were bad at this in comparison, especially the latter, but I cry foul on the judges not giving him "library" for "librarian" when they have been SO LAX about saying the specific subject words. I'd sue. 😉

I also wondered if they'd get buzzed for saying "the weather forecaster" for people who predict things, since forecast is a synonym. Famous Stephens is hard too, off the top of my head all I could think of was Colbert.

• Love 4

Haven't watched yet but...

Famous Stephens: Colbert, Hawking, King.... 

Library for Librarian is a real edge case, especially with how lax the judging has been. But one is a profession while hte other is a building so I can understand not giving it yet; but maybe it should. 

A "Read it again" prompt seems fair to me, when the contestant is giving obviously wrong with their clues. They're often hyperfocused at that point and may not realize what's going on, so it's a nice nudge to keep the game going without burning the category. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

For a second I thought he and his five kids were living out of a van. (... down by the river.) But I'm going to cut him some slack for suggesting he would work out of his van while his kids were playing at the beach. I think the show staff want the contestants to give fun or somewhat quirky responses to the questions Michael asks. I'm sure the staff has the contestants prepare their answers. So if Chris had told them he would answer, "I would like to out-fit my van for my work," they might have said to dress it up a little, maybe even suggesting including his kids somehow in the answer.

I'm also guessing that contestants might have a few ideas for what they'd do with the money, and the staff helps them pick just one, maybe the most interesting one, in their view. 

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Again I ask . . . how old are these shows? Superstore has been off the air for more than a year. 

I was wondering that, too. But I loved Superstore and both of these actors on the show.

It's interesting that Michael is allowed to say "Read it again" when they misread the clue or the subject, it seems like interference, but I recall Dick Clark doing the same, so I guess it's always been allowed.

Michael has said that before, at least during the regular play. One thing I thought was interesting was that Michael's saying, "Read it again," provided a clue for Lauren. Teresa said, "Keds, Nike," then Michael told her to read it again, then she said, "Stereo ones," and Lauren screamed, "TYPES OF SPEAKERS!" Lauren knew that Teresa had misread the subject, so it probably sounded like or looked like the word "sneakers."

The first half of the show was very enjoyable. Everyone was a good clue giver and receiver, though Nico had some problems at times, AND both contestants were really likable with no irritating quirks. I loved Chris's voices and jazz hands. :D I'm sure he's a very entertaining dad.

The second half... Ooof. A couple of times I literally covered my face with my hands. That was during Jermaine's play. Strangely, sometimes he played pretty good, but mostly... oy.

Things a Librarian Uses was tough. Hmm. I wonder if "Her finger to hush you" would be acceptable. Another clue might be, "A checkout scanner," though you'd have to give that only after the clue receiver had said library. Maybe also, "An overdue stamp," though that's pretty old-timey.

Legal and elegant were pretty tough words. "When something is lawful it is ..." might work. But elegant? That seems kind of hit or miss. "A lady wearing fine clothes is very ..." with the proper miming.

Things That Make You Yawn should have been easy. Storm gave the right clues. "A boring lecture" was the first thing that came to mind. Maybe "Staying up all night. Being tired. Being tired and bored." Sometimes you have to drill them in.

Is Dr Strange's first name Steve(n)? I would have had no idea. 

During the first game, after Teresa's first go-round, Michael said, "Renee's getting hot!" I wondered if I misheard. Then the second game, Renee was one of the contestants. I guess Michael got a bit confused.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

Famous Stephens: Colbert, Hawking, King.... 

Those are good but without Colbert, Hawking and King might throw you because you wouldn't necessarily associate them with names. "Hawking" could make you think of selling things and "King" might make you think of royalty. Other than Colbert it's hard to think of a last name that's very obviously a name. Plus you really need to hope the contestant knows who Stephen Colbert is.

Things a Librarian Uses was tough. Hmm. I wonder if "Her finger to hush you" would be acceptable. 

Nope, you're not allowed to use qualifying phrases. "Her finger" is OK" but "to hush you" is not. You're only supposed to list things, unless the subject is "things a so-and-so might say."

One thing I thought was interesting was that Michael's saying, "Read it again," provided a clue for Lauren. Teresa said, "Keds, Nike," then Michael told her to read it again, then she said, "Stereo ones," and Lauren screamed, "TYPES OF SPEAKERS!" Lauren knew that Teresa had misread the subject, so it probably sounded like or looked like the word "sneakers."

Yup, she's one smart cookie. 

7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Nope, you're not allowed to use qualifying phrases. "Her finger" is OK" but "to hush you" is not. 

Oh right. What about "A hushing finger"? I think that would be ok with the judges, but I'm not sure it's a great clue.

For some reason, the first Steve(n) that came to mind was Stephen Foster -- Yeah, I'm surprised too -- but Foster's a bad clue. OOOOH! Spielberg! McQueen!

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Those are good but without Colbert, Hawking and King might throw you because you wouldn't necessarily associate them with names. "Hawking" could make you think of selling things and "King" might make you think of royalty. Other than Colbert it's hard to think of a last name that's very obviously a name. Plus you really need to hope the contestant knows who Stephen Colbert is.

My first thoughts were Mr. Colbert, Mr.  Carell, Mr. Spielberg, Mr. King… would that not have been allowed?

• Like 1

Two episodes with people at the compete opposite ends of the spectrum, Lauren and Jermaine. The poor woman on the second half. You could tell she was incredibly frustrated with Jermaine. Watch her when she says allegiance after the buzzer. If looks could kill...

Pledge of blank! Dude!

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Again I ask . . . how old are these shows? 

In one of the first episodes of this season Michael made a comment that made it clear they were taped in 2022; I'd guess over the summer. I feel like another episode had 2022 in one of the categories, too. 

14 hours ago, DB in CMH said:

Two episodes with people at the compete opposite ends of the spectrum, Lauren and Jermaine. The poor woman on the second half. You could tell she was incredibly frustrated with Jermaine. Watch her when she says allegiance after the buzzer. If looks could kill...

I've wondered if I could hide my frustration if I was playing with an inept celebrity. I think I could act like it was ok, but I'm afraid my real feelings would show on my face.

• Love 1

That was rough; I hope she gets invited back sometime for a second attempt with better celebrities. She certainly seemed like a good contestant and seemed to know the game. (She seemed to realize that Nicole hadn't actually gotten that clue but kept pushing hard anyways).

12 hours ago, Taeolas said:

That was rough; I hope she gets invited back sometime for a second attempt with better celebrities. She certainly seemed like a good contestant and seemed to know the game. (She seemed to realize that Nicole hadn't actually gotten that clue but kept pushing hard anyways).

Yes, that contestant was very good at boosting Nicole's confidence in the first round. Nothing she could do with Jermaine. 

• Like 1

Christmas special! I hope there will be more than one of these. Loved the colorful set decorations. 

Jason Alexander is always a reliable player. Bobby Moynihan is more of a wild card, but he tries hard. I thought the subjects in that first Winners Circle were pretty easy though. Famous Jimmys?

Rosie O'Donnell seems to be losing her touch. She and the first contestant just didn't seem to manage to connect. Can't believe Pete Holmes beat her twice.

For "Places with towels" I would have tried the linen closet followed by the bathroom rack. "Things you do on a piano" - play "Claire De Lune" or play Beethoven or play Chopin. 

"Rude" is a hard word to get to. The only thing I could think of was "the opposite of polite."

• Like 2
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Jason Alexander is always a reliable player.

He is so good!  He was so funny when his partner said something like "what a millennial calls their girlfriend/boyfriend", JA just grinned, while I was on the couch yelling "Jason Alexander is not a millennial!!!"

Rosie O'Donnell seems to be losing her touch.

She's getting old.  (Ro and I are the same age.)

"Rude" is a hard word to get to. The only thing I could think of was "the opposite of polite."

Ro started that out with "when a stand-up comedian..." , it totally threw the contestant off.

I love it when all the contestants get a chance to go to the pyramid.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

For "Places with towels" I would have tried the linen closet followed by the bathroom rack.

The contestant shouldn't have started with the hotel stuff. I think that confused Pete. Saying linen closet is good. Bathroom rack, linen closet, Bed Bath & Beyond, a white sale...

"Things you do on a piano" - play "Claire De Lune" or play Beethoven or play Chopin.

Those are good ones. The first thing popped into my head was "Tickle the ivories," which I wasn't sure would get buzzed.

I don't think it's hard, but Rosie saying that some comedians are this was a bad clue. "The opposite of polite" is perfect, I think.

1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

I love it when all the contestants get a chance to go to the pyramid.

Me too. Or at least when one wins and the other gets the trip. 

In the first game with "bae" it was too bad that the contestant didn't immediately go to a 'bay' clue, like "The Green blank Packers."

Goblet was tough. The best clue I could come up with is something like, "Harry Potter and the blank of Fire." But that could be a mistake if the clue-receiver didn't know the books.

I thought when the contestant finally said something like, "The Ladies and..." then Bobby (or was it Jason?) would have gotten Lord. Hmm. Maybe that would lead one to say "Gentlemen." Another (risky) clue is "From the original Hawaii Five-0, the actor Jack...."

ABBA is not a female group. How about The Go-Go's, The Supremes, Destiny's Child, The Andrew Sisters. And on and on.

Grunt was tough. I think Pete couldn't disconnect that clue from the previous word of butt. Still, I'm not sure what the best clue would be. I think first you need to say something like, "This is a noise you make instead of talking," and then demonstrate it.

I was very glad to see that there was a new episode. I enjoy this show, particularly when there are good players and celebrities.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I thought when the contestant finally said something like, "The Ladies and..." then Bobby (or was it Jason?) would have gotten Lord.

The other thing I thought of was "Seven blanks a'leaping." Or "Blank of the Flies."

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

The other thing I thought of was "Seven blanks a'leaping." Or "Blank of the Flies."

Oh blank, won’t you buy me a Mercedes Benz 

The blank god made them all

The blank’s prayer 

So easy when you have time to think about it !

• Love 2

Lauren was definitely the star player of these two episodes. RuPaul was OK but Lauren was much better. She took her partner to the winner's circle in both rounds.

I know they ended up getting it, but for "Things you do with paper" it took too long. I would have said "fold it into an airplane, fold it into a cootie-catcher, make a spitball out of it." And for "types of lamps" I would have said "A Tiffany one, Aladdin's magic one."

Steve Schrippa was terrible at this. He should never be invited back. He just says one thing and then flails his arms around. He's awful. I felt so sorry for his partners. Ashley was pretty decent, I think she could have won with better partners. Lonnie was a little better but not much. In fairness, I thought they should have given Lonnie "politics" when she said "political." She said the word in full.

Places you park your car: A GARAGE, dummies! Although if my neighbors are any indication, it seems like people these days think those are supposed to be junk rooms.

People who wear a mask: A goalie. Michael Myers.

Spicy foods: I got nuthin'.

Powerful people: that's a tough one too. I'd be tempted to say Gods, Genie's, Witches, Wizards, etc. to get to the word "power."

• Like 4

In fairness, I thought they should have given Lonnie "politics" when she said "political." She said the word in full.

Technically she didn't because politics has an 's' in it and political does not.

Steve was not a great player but I do have sympathy for him being completely thrown by the choice of Obama and Hitler as clues. 

• Like 2

I know they ended up getting it, but for "Things you do with paper" it took too long. I would have said "fold it into an airplane, fold it into a cootie-catcher, make a spitball out of it."

I was screaming "Origami!" at the TV.

Steve Schrippa was terrible at this.

I had to FF through his playing.

3 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I do have sympathy for him being completely thrown by the choice of Obama and Hitler as clues. 

Yes, Powerful people was a tough one.

• Like 3

I wondered when the show was coming back!

Who can disagree about Lauren Lapkus being fantastic! 

I loved when RuPaul said about oriole, "Go with areola and hope for 
the best." :D I'm not sure about him, but it seemed like Toya didn't know what an oriole was. Of course she also could have said, "The baseball team, the Baltimore...." but she didn't know that either.

I know they ended up getting it, but for "Things you do with paper" it took too long. I would have said "fold it into an airplane, fold it into a cootie-catcher, make a spitball out of it." And for "types of lamps" I would have said "A Tiffany one, Aladdin's magic one."

Yes for both. I kept thinking about a paper airplane, but obviously that didn't occur to Scott. I gave a side-eye to him saying, "8 1/2 x 11 scribble." 

As for lamps, the first one that came to mind was 'lava,' but I don't think you could lead with that. 

Can someone explain the category name "Ru’d me for filth." I assume it has to do with a RuPaul catchphrase.

Steve Schrippa was bad. Ugh. He was hard to watch. And who was the other celeb? Lonnie Love?

Places you park your car: In the garage, in the driveway, at the curb. So many places.

Again I gave the side-eye to the clue "A Halloween costume" for People Who Wear a Mask. Again, so many options. Besides goalie and Mike Myers, there's a bank robber, a baseball catcher, the Lone Ranger.

For 'Healing' I might have said, "Oh, my wound is getting better. It's...." Maybe.

Acorn. "This is a nut that falls from oak trees."

Spicy Foods: Chili peppers, ghost peppers, 3-alarm chili.

At the start of the hour they showed a clip of Erika Christensen in the Winners Circle. I don't remember her on the show.

Oh, and RuPaul is hosting Lingo? Is that a game show that was on a few years ago? I think that was the name. I'll have to look it up.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Darcy was a very impressive final pyramid player--better than she was at giving or receiving clues.  She wasn't bad at that but I think it's the first time I've seen someone arguably best at the 50,000/100,000 pyramid part than getting there.

Although, I am surprised they gave her "holidays" when they were specifically asking for "Jewish holidays."

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 2

Darcy and Dion were both pretty bad, especially Dion. Laura was a good guesser based on the scant clues he was giving her. The judges were also giving a lot of passes. The subject was "things that dogs eat" and all she said was "dogs." I'm kind of surprised they didn't give Dion "Shaq" when he said the full name.

"Things you reveal" is a tough subject. I still can't think of a definitive clue.

It was like night and day when Ken and Mario took over. Wow, they are both so good at this. It's a wonder Mario managed to beat Ken both times. Too bad he got stuck on that last subject both times. "Happy Places" is another tough one if you don't get it from "Disneyland." "Things that go beep" should have been an easier one to get but the clue giver kept using the word "broken" and I think that's what threw Mario off. Just "pager" would have been a great clue. But not "broken pager." WTF.

• Like 3
10 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Although, I am surprised they gave her "holidays" when they were specifically asking for "Jewish holidays."

I thought she had said Jewish somewhere in there. I may have to rewatch.

53 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

The judges were also giving a lot of passes. The subject was "things that dogs eat" and all she said was "dogs."

Another reason for me to rewatch. I'm pretty sure she said dogs.

"Things you reveal" is a tough subject. I still can't think of a definitive clue.

Even before Michael said "baby's gender," I was thinking that. But yeah that's a tough one. Maybe "Your secret identity." 

Happy Places was even tougher. I think McDonald's uses that phrase for the kid zone, but saying "McDonald's" wouldn't be helpful. I can't remember how Michael put it, but there's the phrase "Going to my happy place," but I'm not sure how you could use that. A room full of puppies? A winning team's locker room? Could you stretch it by saying "A warm puppy?"

I really wanted Patton Oswalt--- I mean, Scott -- to win. He was SOOOOO good. Generally. I don't know what happened in the WC. His beeping clues were bad. Heck, when he started with the camping clues, that wasn't good either. Fire? Dude, start with tent, then campfire. But beeping. The first thing I thought of was a smoke alarm. Ooo, how about the roadrunner?

I've read all the Harry Potter books and saw all the movies, but I thought it was weird to give the clue "Dumbledore collects these" for memories. I think Sahil also gave the clue "John blank. Famous actor." Doesn't exactly narrow it down.

Deon: You put your food in it.
Sahil: Microwave.
Deon: No. You put your food in it.

Oy.

Mario was really cracking me up. His Tina Turner impression was great and hilarious. 

Ken gave great clues for evaporate and salivate. It's too bad Scott blanked on them. Oh, and when Ken was giving clues for Jen, it was interesting that he was saying "groan" but Jen heard it as "grown" which is understandable, and then it dawned on Ken what was happening. 

One weird thing I noticed: When there were two categories left during the second game, the camera showed "One Night Only..." and "Danson With the Stars," but when Jen chose "One Night Only" the Danson category name wasn't there, but the "MMM Sexy" one was back there at the top. I can't figure how what happened.

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Another reason for me to rewatch. I'm pretty sure she said dogs.

Duh. I had a brain fart. Yes, she DID say dogs, but the category was Things Dogs Eat, so... duh again. I rewatched. I think she said, "Dogs. Dogs. For a dog." So, yeah, not good judging. Again.

I thought she had said Jewish somewhere in there. I may have to rewatch.

She said, "Holidays. Jewish holidays."

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Duh. I had a brain fart. Yes, she DID say dogs, but the category was Things Dogs Eat, so... duh again. I rewatched. I think she said, "Dogs. Dogs. For a dog." So, yeah, not good judging. Again.

What I heard was "Treats...dogs, for a dog."

One of my biggest pet peeves of this recent iteration of Pyramid is when the obligatory "What Blank Might Say" comes up, and the contestant gives good responses, most of the time the celeb would just say "Subject!" as opposed to "What Subject Might Say".  Mario and Darcy both said "What Subject Might Say".

When I saw it was Mario Cantone vs Ken Jennings, I thought for sure Mario was a goner, but MC was quick, concise and looking to win!  What the hell do I know?!

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 3
(edited)

Don't know much about Ross Matthews but I remember him being good at this game in the past.

When Brie Bella misread a word, all I could think of was this dumb joke: The difference between a comma and a coma is the length of the pause.

Switching from trying to act out a "whine" to describing wine was a good move.

Had to google Troy and Sean when I looked at the episode description; I've not watched much of The Goldbergs and while I would recognize them as "the kids on the Goldbergs" I couldn't have named any of the actors in it (except maybe the parents and grandfather; the mom I know mostly from this and other summer-reboot game shows she's been on). They weren't terrible players but they kinda stressed me out... (Troy seems very different from his character. Quieter...)

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 3

These last two episodes were not great. I realize they can't have Rosie O'Donnell and Kathy Najimy every week, but I wish they would get celebs who are better than this. They seem to mostly have people who are affiliated with ABC/Disney. Brie Bella was pretty good guessing but terrible at giving. Likewise, Sean and Troy were both terrible clue givers. I always feel sorry for the contestants when they get stuck with a dud celebrity.

Once again some pretty questionable judging. One of the answers was "Yeah" and they have it to Bella for saying "Yay." I guess that's a coin flip. Also, you shouldn't be able to say "millionaire" for "billionaire." That's most of the word. And for "Measuring Tools" they gave it to him for just saying "measurements." That's different than measuring tools. I don't know why they let it go if it's just one of the words instead of the actual thing.

Things you do with your eyes should have been easy. You see with them, you blink them, you put glasses over them. I think the contestant kept saying "see". Things on a couch is tougher, but I would have said throw pillows.

I noticed in the first round the contestant said the year is 2022. I don't understand why they hold onto these shows for so long before airing them.

• Like 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't understand why they hold onto these shows for so long before airing them.

I think they do it so that during the summer there will be "new" programming to fill out the schedule. I think it's fun to have game shows on in prime time during the summer.

Of course, this year, the fall schedule is going to kind of resemble "Summer Schedule 2.0" 😀

Edited by Phishbulb
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Don't know much about Ross Matthews but I remember him being good at this game in the past.

I don't disagree that he was good, but did it also seem like he got several "easy" sets of clues?  I know it's the luck of the draw (or pick) but for some of the other contestants, there seemed to be a combination of tougher clues and maybe less skill at giving clues or guessing responses.

• Like 2

Also, you shouldn't be able to say "millionaire" for "billionaire."

That one bugs me; they've done that before and I said the same thing.

Things on a couch is tougher, but I would have said throw pillows.

I was yelling, "cushions and throw pillows!"

• Like 2

Three-letter words that begin with B? Give me a break. What is this, the toddler tournament?

Once again some pretty questionable judging. One of the answers was "Yeah" and they have it to Bella for saying "Yay." I guess that's a coin flip.

I didn't like that either. Maybe some people pronounce "yeah" like "yea/yay," but they are wrong. :p

For 'Miss America' I would have sung, "There she is...."

And for "Measuring Tools" they gave it to him for just saying "measurements." That's different than measuring tools.

Yup. Of course the contestant was giving incorrect clues. "Inches" is not a measuring tool. A ruler, a yard stick, a teaspoon...

'Frenzy' threw me off at first. The thing that immediately came to mind was the movie, but that certainly wouldn't have worked as a clue. Then I realized they were talking about a feeding frenzy. So: "When a bunch of sharks are eating wildly, it's a feeding blank."

For 'wade' I would have said, "Roe versus..."

Javier saying about a hot dog, "You eat this with ketchup," made me gag. 

Referring to the Girl Scouts category, Michael said he loved Thin Mints. Javier should have given specific Girl Scout cookie names. Thin Mints, Samoas... 

For Things on a Couch, I also thought of throw pillows. Not sure what else would have helped. Instead of blanket I think an afghan is better, or an afghan throw. I suppose you could say cushions as well.

And for 'panther' she should have referenced the movie. "This was a big Marvel movie, Black blank. Wakanda..."

I've never watched The Goldbergs but I've seen commercials for it so I recognized the first guy. (I thought Michael said his name was Corey, but it was Troy.) I didn't know either of them. Although they were much better at receiving than giving, sometimes they were pretty bad at receiving.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I don't disagree that he was good, but did it also seem like he got several "easy" sets of clues?  I know it's the luck of the draw (or pick) but for some of the other contestants, there seemed to be a combination of tougher clues and maybe less skill at giving clues or guessing responses.

I'd daresay Ross knows the difference between 'coma' and 'comma'.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Javier saying about a hot dog, "You eat this with ketchup," made me gag. 

I eat them with ketchup, on the rare occasions I eat a hot dog. I realize I am apparently a heretic. But hot dog wouldn't have been my first thought with that clue (french fries, maybe).

14 minutes ago, opus said:

Remember when Dick Clark would talk about “the dreaded name category”? The way they do it nowadays makes it a lot easier.

Sorry for being obtuse, but I have no idea what you are talking about.  Could you kindly elaborate?