Type keyword(s) to search

The $100,000 Pyramid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yeah, the contestant focused on the wrong great lakes, picking the only 2 of the 5 that can be mistaken for other things. Where was the contestant from? I suspect they were probably from New York or Michigan or Illinois, where those lakes would be dominant compared to the others.

As for other lakes besides the great ones? Titicaca, Great Bear, Great Slave, Placid, Great Salt, Champlain, Mead

Placid (one I hadn't thought of but good for Americans), Champlain, Mead + the 5 Great Lakes should have been enough for Americans. Great Bear/ Great Slave and Winnipeg would probably have been good additions for Canadians. :) 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I sometimes think Michael gives clues that would be buzzed if a contestant gave them.

I do recall on the Dick Clark version where following the conclusion of the Winner's Circle, Dick would give clues postgame.  If it was illegal, they would buzz it, indicating that it would've gotten the contestant & celebrity disqualified.  More often than not, however, Clark would question the producers if it was borderline, and then you'd hear a ding or a buzz

• Like 1
On 8/15/2022 at 9:55 AM, Taeolas said:

As for other lakes besides the great ones? Titicaca, Great Bear, Great Slave, Placid, Great Salt, Champlain, Mead

Titicaca, Champlain, Mead, and Placid are great clues. Titicaca by itself might have been enuf.

I thought Taran was pretty good. The contestant Braz was good, but saying "Blank of the Bells" for 'Carol' was a little too esoteric. How about "The comedienne Carol blank."

Things You Try was hard, and the contestant was giving terrible clues. Maybe "a food sample at Costco, something you never did before, a brand new experience." 

I really liked Diedrich and Pamela, so I was disappointed with their performances, particularly Pamela. Diedrich had some good moments, but he wasn't consistent. Still, he was pretty funny. When he didn't get 'Parallel Parking' he said, "It's hard to do anyway." LOL!

'Bachelor' shouldn't have been hard, but the contestant made it so because she brought up the TV show. I mean, yes, that could have worked, but I think it would have been better to just stay on the simple definition.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The contestant Braz was good, but saying "Blank of the Bells" for 'Carol' was a little too esoteric. How about "The comedienne Carol blank."

Esoteric indeed, I've never heard of Carol of the Bells.  I know you meant to post 'the comedienne blank Burnette.'

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Second game was kinda frustrating. It's so annoying when they miss easy ones because they're too busy trying to act things out instead of using their damn words! "Blank Presley" was probably all he had to say.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Second game was kinda frustrating. It's so annoying when they miss easy ones because they're too busy trying to act things out instead of using their damn words! "Blank Presley" was probably all he had to say.

That same dude got 2 out of a possible 7, that has to be an all-time low.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

That same dude got 2 out of a possible 7, that has to be an all-time low.

Technically it isn't, but that's really because past players, seconds away from the Winners Circle, answered 1 or 2 to clinch.

In terms of a team in regular circumstances, it's close to unprecedented; really rare, but I've seen people win by default due to flawless play vs total disaster

Things that are jolly - "a green giant"!  "A fruit-flavored rancher" was also excellent.

I think Michael does well as host.  I was, however, reminded of how Dick used to handle very low scoring rounds.  He'd say something like "it doesn't look good for you now, but why don't you forget about it, and just use the next round to build your confidence, so you can come back roaring in the second game."  Sometimes it worked!

I'm no holy roller, but I did visit the Vatican and understood that modest dress was expected.  What a goofy story for that contestant to share.  I also raised an eyebrow at the one who said she was teased by her friends for singing, dancing, and playing the guitar at once.  Maybe she needs new friends - I'd be impressed to see one of mine do that.  I also didn't get how that made her like Lucille Ball, a fine dancer but famously limited singer (although she wasn't really quite as bad as Lucy Ricardo) who never played guitar.

Oh well,  Even when the play isn't great and the contestants are a bit annoying, it beats other TV options for me.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

Things that are jolly - "a green giant"!  "A fruit-flavored rancher" was also excellent.

I couldn't think of anything but Santa. I'm sure "a happy Santa" would have been buzzed, right?

I also didn't get how that made her like Lucille Ball

Yeah, I didn't get that at all.

From the sublime to the ridiculous, is how I felt about watching the first half hour vs the second. Pete Holmes was really good, and he kept cracking me up. However, I do think it was bad of him to jokingly wave at someone in the audience in thanks. I think it might have thrown off the contestant.

I loved when the contestant was giving clues for Things in a Stall, said something like Bathroom-going people, and Pete said, "Things that stream, things that pee, things that urinate, things that are yellow." LOL!

In both games there was some bad play by the contestants and the celebs. Some things get me so frustrated, like not holding up your finger when the answer is 'finger.' People just forget they can mime on this show. And some people just give weird clues instead of the simplest one.

I had a feeling that when that one contestant bragged how she was an excellent game player she would lose. It wasn't always her fault. 

Not sure what the best clues would be for Things With Pits. Avocados, peaches. Saying "Your underarms" might work or it might completely confuse the receiver.

In the first game, Pete said the one contestant (Kaya?) looked like somebody. I did see a resemblance to a couple of famous women, but who did he say?

Amy, the contestant in the first game, was just way too hyper. I think if she'd have slowed down a little she would have done better. Between the celebrity players, I think Pete Holmes was just a little better than Yvette Nicole Brown, especially at receiving. I'm hard pressed to think of a good clue for "places with apples," other than an orchard. A cider mill? Yeah that might do it but it took me a minute to think of that.

I'd never heard of that comic in the second game before, but he was awful. I feel sorry for the contestants that get stuck with celebs that stink at this, but the gal with the purple hair blew it in the winner's circle herself anyway.

Things in a row: I would have said "pretty maids." But I wonder how many people would get that. Famous horses: Mr. Ed! But again, you'd probably have to be old enough to get that.

I think Michael does well as host.

The thing that made Dick Clark so classy was that he always understood that it wasn't all about him, it was all about the game. I think Michael gets that too. That's one of the reasons I can't stand to watch Family Feud, Steve Harvey has to make everything about himself. He can't go five seconds without looking into the camera and mugging.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I couldn't think of anything but Santa. I'm sure "a happy Santa" would have been buzzed, right?

Yes, although I can't remember the last time we had a buzz for "you used a synonym," I assume that is still on the books.

52 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I'm hard pressed to think of a good clue for "places with apples," other than an orchard. A cider mill? Yeah that might do it but it took me a minute to think of that.

Do you think one could get away with a braeburn orchard...a fuji orchard...etc?  I can't really think of much else either.

36 minutes ago, 853fisher said:
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I'm hard pressed to think of a good clue for "places with apples," other than an orchard. A cider mill? Yeah that might do it but it took me a minute to think of that.

Do you think one could get away with a braeburn orchard...a fuji orchard...etc?  I can't really think of much else either.

A Genius Bar? she said, many hours after the fact.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Amy, the contestant in the first game, was just way too hyper. I think if she'd have slowed down a little she would have done better.

Yes, she was driving me crazy with her hyper energy, but I think she settled down a little after the first round.

The contestant started out badly (after Pete waved to the audience) by saying "In a park." Yeah, that narrows it down. But, a cider mill is good, as is orchard. Maybe start by saying, "A fruit tree." Maybe "A Mott's fruit factory?"

Famous horses: Mr. Ed! But again, you'd probably have to be old enough to get that.

Secretariat was just right. There's also Seabiscuit. 

Edited by peeayebee
2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

A Genius Bar? she said, many hours after the fact.

I was yelling "an orchard!" and then I was trying to come up with something related to Apple the company. Genius Bar didn't occur to me, though. 

8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

In the first game, Pete said the one contestant (Kaya?) looked like somebody. I did see a resemblance to a couple of famous women, but who did he say?

Lauryn Hill. And she really did.

• Love 1

You could tell Pete has watched the show. I've always liked Yvette. She got hung up on that one category of older devices. How would you describe a pager? How a hospital gets ahold of a doctor? 

Is it a new strategy to pass so quickly? I understand not wanting to get hung up on something. But there were several where the contestant didn't even try. In one money round, it caught the celeb off guard.

6 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Is it a new strategy to pass so quickly? I understand not wanting to get hung up on something. But there were several where the contestant didn't even try.

I don't remember a specific example, but I would pass quickly if I couldn't immediately think of a clue.

IIRC, on the 80s version, someone passed immediately without even attempting.  It was the fifth subject, not the first or second ones.  I think there was time to go back where the move ended up successful.  I don't ever recall bailing so early and on both of the first two clues.  That's basically giving up, or not, but if you can't get the first ones then it's not happening for the contestant.

If it's a new strategy, then great, I guess.  It's an awful one

Edited by Carey
Winner's Circle Passing Specifics
  • Like 2

I might be wrong on this but back in the 80's version game in the winners circle, I recall the answers had to be said in a different way.  For example...

Clue - What a hotdog would say 

Contestant - I'm a wiener in a bun and I have mustard all over me

Celebrity -  The response from the celebrity would be " What a hotdog would say"

Now, all the celebrity would probably say in today's game is "hotdog".  I thought the answer had to be exactly what is up there on the board.  Am I wrong?

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

I might be wrong on this but back in the 80's version game in the winners circle, I recall the answers had to be said in a different way.  For example...

Contestant - I'm a wiener in a bun and I have mustard all over me

Celebrity -  The response from the celebrity would be " What a hotdog would say"

Now, all the celebrity would probably say in today's game is "hotdog".  I thought the answer had to be exactly what is up there on the board.  Am I wrong?

The verbatim thing was more a Match Game thing, specifically Super Match.  However, it was close enough for the 80s version (though for a $100,000 cash prize, the response would be exactly what was on the board to qualify; usually it was simple enough to get it & not complicated like "Things a Hamburger would write").

So, in Super Match, it had to be an exact match, and in the past, cheap answers were not getting you anywhere in the Winner's Circle.

Speaking of the past, rr2911.  One correction:

Contestant Celebrity - I'm a wiener in a bun and I have mustard all over me

Celebrity Contestant -  The response from the celebrity would be " What a hotdog would say"

IMO, I guess there may be a link toward giving more simplistic responses in today's game

14 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

Now, all the celebrity would probably say in today's game is "hotdog". 

Right, because they probably never watched the show.  There has been a dumbing down of rules.  Once in a while, there's an old school fan, like Pete Holmes or YNB, who gets it and says 'What blank would say?'

Edited by sugarbaker design
4 minutes ago, Carey said:

The verbatim thing was more a Match Game thing, specifically Super Match.  However, it was close enough for the 80s version (though for a $100,000 cash prize, the response would be exactly what was on the board to qualify; usually it was simple enough to get it & not complicated like "Things a Hamburger would write").

So, in Super Match, it had to be an exact match, and in the past, cheap answers were not getting you anywhere in the Winner's Circle.

Speaking of the past, rr2911.  One correction:

Contestant Celebrity - I'm a wiener in a bun and I have mustard all over me

Celebrity Contestant -  The response from the celebrity would be " What a hotdog would say"

IMO, I guess there may be a link toward giving more simplistic responses in today's game

Oh, was it the other way around?  The 80's version had the celebrity give the clues in the winners clircle?

6 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

Oh, was it the other way around?  The 80's version had the celebrity give the clues in the winners clircle?

Yep.  For the most part; not all the time.  Certain celebrities like Nate Cook received; if you were playing with Betty White or Henry Polic, and you wanted to win the game, you weren't giving the clues when the player had the choice

19 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Wasn't it the contestants choice to give or receive clues?

Yes it was.  In the main game, they rotated, with the celebrity giving the clues in Part 1, the contestants in Part 2, and then it was optional in Part 3 (usually the stars giving the clues to the players).

In the Winners Circles, more often than not it was the celebrities giving the clues.  It made sense since several of the stars were familiar with the structure (and smart).  They made rather regular appearances, so they could probably give a clue that would make the difference between winning and losing.  Whereas today's celebrities aren't as regular, but show up to extend their 15 minutes, need a buck or two, and/or are promoting something

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Two not-terrible games. Rachel Bloom was really good at this, I don't know how she got "fancy things" from "five star restaurants." That's a hard subject to find good clues for. Also, both she and Carla thought Vanna White was on The Price is Right, luckily for Carly. And she is too young to know who Nixon is, sadly. That makes me feel old.

It still bugs me how arbitrary the judging is, because you get a pass for saying "lungs" instead of "what lungs might say" but Mario Cantone wasn't given a pass for "sanders" by saying "sandpaper." 

The players in the second game were Noam and Plessetta? Strange names.

I can't think of a good clue for "kinds of zones" but "twilight" is probably the best one. Same with "hiking things" - anything I can think of would double as camping things.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I can't think of a good clue for "kinds of zones" but "twilight" is probably the best one. Same with "hiking things" - anything I can think of would double as camping things.

I thought of Twilight and time.

The only thing I could think of for hiking which I don't think they said was backpack.

• Like 2

I too was thinking of backpack. The contestant said "stick" or "a stick," but she could have been more specific and said "a walking stick."

11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Also, both she and Carla thought Vanna White was on The Price is Right, luckily for Carly. 

I figured (maybe wrongly) that Rachel didn't necessarily think Vanna was on The Price Is Right, but that was the only woman game show name that came to her.

It still bugs me how arbitrary the judging is, because you get a pass for saying "lungs" instead of "what lungs might say" but Mario Cantone wasn't given a pass for "sanders" by saying "sandpaper."

I was wondering why "sanders" was in quotes. Anyway, I would have said, "Kentucky Fried Chicken, Colonel...." 

The players in the second game were Noam and Plessetta? Strange names.

Oh. I thought her name was Lazetta, but I couldn't really understand.

The first guy, Will, was really really good. He didn't get frazzled, and he gave good clues.

The one category (category?) 'It's Getting Mahatma In Here' should have left out the "In" so it would be 'It's Getting Mahatma Here.' Sounds better to my ears.

I wonder if for 'fancy' if "A brand of cat food" would have worked. (Fancy Feast)

Also, could you say "texting" when giving clue for sexting?

I thought "Post-It ones" was an excellent clue for Types of Notes.

For Zones, maybe errogenous ones.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I adore Rachel Bloom so I highly enjoyed this one. All of the celebs were great players. When's the last time we had one of those episodes?

Its rare that the contestants can't keep up with the celebs, and that's what we got here. It was nice. They really made it broke their own games.

I figure they buried the Abbott Elementary stars in the second half because Janelle's gameshow comes on right after. I also have to learn to separate Janelle from her character because I was continually shocked at just how smart she was.

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 1

For "types of zones," I thought Pacific Daylight, Eastern Standard Time, etc.

I was relieved Lisa and Janelle did OK.  Janelle in particular struck me as someone who might get quite good if she could play regularly.  I really like "Abbott Elementary" and I'm glad to see much of the cast in the spotlight in other contexts.

On 8/28/2022 at 7:19 PM, ams1001 said:

Iggy Azalea for "fancy things" was a pretty good clue if you know the song. (Literally the only song of hers I know.)

That contestant was wise to think of that, and then move on quickly when it didn't work out.  It would have been a brilliant clue for the right partner.  (I am not that partner - I am aware of the connection but probably could not have made it under pressure.)  I really liked him and I'm glad he won the money.  For some reason I find it funny to imagine some of these contestants who say they want to use buy an engagement ring having to explain to their partner that it will need to be another year or two because they lost on Pyramid.

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I figured (maybe wrongly) that Rachel didn't necessarily think Vanna was on The Price Is Right, but that was the only woman game show name that came to her.

I thought the same.  Rachel made a face as if to say "that's ok, I'll tell her later."

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Oh. I thought her name was Lazetta, but I couldn't really understand.

The captions gave it as "Plezetta."  I haven't heard that one before either.  Many of these shows don't use last names anymore, which I assume is for privacy reasons, but it occurred to me that someone could probably find a Plezetta without much trouble!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, DB in CMH said:

I adore Rachel Bloom so I highly enjoyed this one.

I'm so glad she, and the other celebs, did well. I loved Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.

I figure they buried the Abbott Elementary stars in the second half because Janelle's gameshow comes on right after. I also have to learn to separate Janelle from her character because I was continually shocked at just how smart she was.

Me too. She is so good as the principal on Abbott. Lisa Ann did well but not consistently. Seems she got panicky toward the end.

I didn't know Janelle had a game show. I'll have to look that up.

6 hours ago, 853fisher said:

For "types of zones," I thought Pacific Daylight, Eastern Standard Time, etc.

Those are good ones. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, 853fisher said:

(I am not that partner - I am aware of the connection but probably could not have made it under pressure.)

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have made the connection if I didn't already know what they were going for...especially under pressure in the moment.

The contestant said "stick" or "a stick," but she could have been more specific and said "a walking stick."

She might have gotten buzzed for using a synonym. Hard to say - judging is arbitrary at best!

2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I think she said "pole" which confounded the celebrity (and me!).

A lot of times a clue makes sense for the category, only if you already know the category!

• Like 2
6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't know Janelle had a game show. I'll have to look that up.

"The Final Straw."  It's larger-than-life Jenga with elaborate art design - the stacks are themed to a diner, the beach, Wild West, etc.  It's not earth-shattering TV but I think it's cute, the kind of thing I like in the background while I do chores.

Janelle gets in some jokes and the players do light "trash talk" while they look for what to try to pull next.  I think it could have been improved with a bit of play-along-at-home, like some kind of trivia or survey question on each piece you pull out.

I've seen very little online chatter and I gather ratings are not promising.  I wonder why it wasn't mentioned on this show?  In the old days celebs would pitch anything - movie-of-the-week, niche cable show, dinner theatre...

I love Josh Malina. He was pretty good.

You're not allowed to use your hands in the Winner's Circle but you're allowed to stomp your feet? I thought the point was that you aren't allowed to act things out.

Erica was frustrating to watch in that first round but she did much better in the second.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

You're not allowed to use your hands in the Winner's Circle but you're allowed to stomp your feet? I thought the point was that you aren't allowed to act things out.

They can nod and stuff so it's a blurry line. I was annoyed they gave a pass to "cities in New York" when the subject was "burroughs." Burroughs and cities are not the same thing.

Two pretty good games, although no big winner in the second. I was happy for Post-It girl, she was really prepared for this and wanted it so badly. Both Joshua Malina and Erika Christensen were pretty decent although the latter was terrible giving clues in the first round. Michael and Eliza were both very good players.

I can't think of the ideal clue for "things that land." Maybe "a good joke" but that might throw you off. I think the contestant was on the right track saying a descending plane, a descending helicopter, etc.

They also gave a pass to "names" when the subject was "first names." Ugh. Places with clowns is pretty tough beyond the circus. Tiny car was good.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I can't think of the ideal clue for "things that land." Maybe "a good joke" but that might throw you off. I think the contestant was on the right track saying a descending plane, a descending helicopter, etc.

But she started off saying "flying an airplane", it might have confused the celebrity, I know it confused me.

7 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

They also gave a pass to "names" when the subject was "first names." Ugh. Places with clowns is pretty tough beyond the circus. Tiny car was good.

Tiny car is the best clue!  Too bad she said it the last possible moment.

I lost all respect for the actress who saw "Jeopardy" on her screen, and passed.  I nearly had a stroke.  Game show with Alex Trebek, maybe?

Things I'm Doing Right Now has to be the most ridiculous, impossible to get, absurd category yet.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I didn't think about that, but I can kind of see how it's ok. It's different from the category being "Things You Stomp," and then she says, "My feet" as she stomping them. In this case, she had to stomp her feet for her clue of "Stomping my feet." :shrug:

1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

But she started off saying "flying an airplane", it might have confused the celebrity, I know it confused me.

I thought she said, "A flying airplane." I need to rewatch. But it was a tough one. I too thought of "A good joke." What else lands? Using "descending" with the word is smart. "A descending airplane. A descending bird." 

I lost all respect for the actress who saw "Jeopardy" on her screen, and passed.  I nearly had a stroke.  Game show with Alex Trebek, maybe?

I know. I think she was trying to give clues strictly with what the category was, which was words that go with 'double.' We all know that's not required, but I think that's where her head was stuck, so she was trying to say what double jeopardy was.

Things I'm Doing Right Now has to be the most ridiculous, impossible to get, absurd category yet.

That was so hard! The contestant was giving good clues, too. I wonder if you could add pronouns to the clues, like, "I'm sitting here. We're sitting here. I'm breathing. We're playing a game. We're in the Winner's Circle," and so on. Whether or not that would be allowed, I don't know, and I also am not sure if it would really help.

These were pretty good games. My biggest complaint is that not all four contestants got a chance in the Winner's Circle because all four were good players. I thought Shawanda was esp good, almost as good as the first woman, Sam.

"A dirty number."
"69."

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

I wonder if you could add pronouns to the clues, like, "I'm sitting here. We're sitting here. I'm breathing. We're playing a game. We're in the Winner's Circle," and so on. Whether or not that would be allowed, I don't know, and I also am not sure if it would really help.

Technically, going by "classic" rules, you are only allowed to list things, without qualifying statements, so I'd tentatively say no, but on this version? Who knows.