Type keyword(s) to search

The $100,000 Pyramid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, iMonrey said:

I thought it was funny in the second round when RuPaul and Christine were paired together because they were both wearing the exact same thing.

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I expected someone there to say something about it.

I love Ken Jennings, and yes I appreciated that in the Winner's Circle he answered appropriately. After he helped the second brother win, he said, "And you beat his time!" :D

The first game was good and enjoyable. I got a kick out of Ross saying, "I'd love to meet your mother but I'm pregnant," in making fun of that one excuse. And I actually clapped when he finally said, "Prince..." to get 'charming.'

I'm always glad when both contestants win $50,000.

The second game was a letdown after the first, but it was still enjoyable. I like RuPaul, though I was surprised he didn't do fantastically. I noticed he doesn't point to things, like his neck when the word was 'neck.' It's like he thinks he can only use words. 

And I've liked Carson ever since the original Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. He's smart and funny.

For 'kinky' I was also thinking of Kinky Boots. I'm sure RuPaul would have gotten it if Nico had said something like, "It was a Broadway play. Blank Boots."

And for waxed things: A woman's bikini area, a woman's upper lip.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

For 'kinky' I was also thinking of Kinky Boots. I'm sure RuPaul would have gotten it if Nico had said something like, "It was a Broadway play. Blank Boots."

And for waxed things: A woman's bikini area, a woman's upper lip.

I was yelling Kinky Boots! in my head.

For waxed, I also thought of dental floss.

• Like 1

Quoted from the Jeopardy thread:

19 minutes ago, BuckeyeLou said:

He did good...it was fun to see Ken in a different setting

Not surprising. I'm glad he got both players 50K. (And given that they're twins and apparently share a brain, I'm not surprised they were equally good at coming up with clues.)

I always feel a little bad for the person who doesn't get to play in the winner's circle. If both contestants make it there, it's with the same celebrity. If one contestant gets there twice, then both celebs get to play but the other player misses out.

• Like 1

My husband and I always play the final round together, one of us giving clues (with the sound muted), the other turned away from the screen and responding. Then we rewind, turn the sound up, and see how the actual players did. 

On this episode, I gave the exact same clues in Ken’s second round as the twin did. Exactly the same, no more, no less. It was bizarre. Maybe the brothers have a long lost triplet…?

I don’t watch this show regularly (I tuned into this episode for Ken), but when I do I’ve noticed that the contestant is always in the giving chair rather than receiving. In the original version, it was almost always the other way around— Dick Clark practically insisted on it, because the celebrities were more practiced and thus provided a better chance of winning. Do the contestants have a choice this time?

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure this version has always had the players give clues to the celebrities. I think the celebrity pool is bigger now, and the celebrities aren't as practiced in the show, so the players are often better clue givers, though sometimes it can be a crap shoot. 

Ken is clearly a game show master; I suspect any game show that doesn't rely on pure luck he'd do well on and even the luck-based shows he'd probably still have a good chance on. 

The second match with Ru and Carson wasn't as strong as Ken and Ross, but I have the feeling that the contestants were a bit weaker (and Ru wasn't as strong of a clue giver). 

I get the feeling they may have hoped to get Michelle Visage to finish the RuPaul quartet, but weren't for some reason, so we got a Random Ken sighting instead. 

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I don’t watch this show regularly (I tuned into this episode for Ken), but when I do I’ve noticed that the contestant is always in the giving chair rather than receiving. In the original version, it was almost always the other way around— Dick Clark practically insisted on it, because the celebrities were more practiced and thus provided a better chance of winning. Do the contestants have a choice this time?

6 hours ago, Taeolas said:

I'm pretty sure this version has always had the players give clues to the celebrities. I think the celebrity pool is bigger now, and the celebrities aren't as practiced in the show, so the players are often better clue givers, though sometimes it can be a crap shoot. 

Yes, the contestant always gives the clues in the winner's circle.

6 hours ago, Taeolas said:

I get the feeling they may have hoped to get Michelle Visage to finish the RuPaul quartet, but weren't for some reason, so we got a Random Ken sighting instead. 

I don't watch Drag Race, but when I realized three of the celebs were from there I thought Ken's presence was odd. But I love Ken so however it happened I'm glad.

Edited by ams1001
  • Like 1
(edited)
10 minutes ago, lambertman said:

Pyramid moves to 9 starting this week in a timeslot swap with The Final Straw, per promos aired last night. Yay!

Yay! That means I can go to bed earlier!

I've only seen the last few minutes of The Final Straw a couple times but I have no idea what's going on there. (I just googled it to see what the point is and saw it has 2.8 out of 10 on IMDB.)

Edited by ams1001

"The Final Straw" is basically large scale Jenga. It's okayish, but I'm sure it will be a 1 and done series. 

Since I PVR the shows anyways, the time switch doesn't affect me much, but good if it gets a few more viewers for Pyramid. :)

• Useful 1

w

On 7/25/2022 at 10:42 AM, iMonrey said:

It almost doesn't seem fair to have to play against Ken Jennings, he's so good. He even knew enough to say "What a such-and-such might say" instead of just the thing. He's a real pro. And I've never seen siblings play against each other before, let alone twins.

I really enjoyed Part 1 of the show for its gamesmanship.  Both of the twins were better than average players. Ross Matthews is one of this show's best celebs and Ken's just a beast.  Not only did he give the final clues in the right format but he really understood the speed factor in the 3 earlier rounds.  He was playing to win on time if there was a tie. 

I wonder how many other celebs could hang with him.  Ross.  Maybe Rosie?

I'm surprised they had twins on.  If I were to play against my sibling, I'd be tempted to make the first game a true competition but then have the loser in the first round throw the second round.  If it were only one twin who did both and won $150,000, then they could split the winnings and each walk away with $75,000 instead of just $50,000 each.

On 7/16/2022 at 10:16 AM, iMonrey said:

Russell Peters has been around forever, he's a stand-up comic. If your'e not a big stand-up comedy fan you might not know who he is because that's primarily what he does.

He also had a one season series where he (a Canadian) moves to India and is a detective. It's called the Indian Detective.  I wish there had been more than one season but I believe it's on Amazon Prime.  Nope. It looks like Netflix. 

On 7/18/2022 at 10:18 AM, iMonrey said:

And then in the second round the subjects were Brands of potato chips, What Snoopy might say, Things a golfer does, Late night hosts, Things that go slowly, and Things that are puffed. These just seemed way too easy.

I thought "things that are puffed" was a toughie and I was very impressed by the clues she gave.

8 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I thought "things that are puffed" was a toughie and I was very impressed by the clues she gave.

I was on the edge of my seat thinking she was going to get buzzed. Not that she said anything that SHOULD be buzzed, but that I was afraid she'd screw up as she was describing Cheetos.

16 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I thought "things that are puffed" was a toughie

The first thing I thought of was 'Seinfeld's pirate shirt", although of course there's a chance the other person has no idea what I'm talking about.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, argrow said:

I can't believe they buzzed 'gelatine' for 'jell-o' but not "x-ray' for 'words with x'.

That's a tough one because all the words that first came to me had the syllable "-ex"... (and I was wondering if they would get buzzed but I guess not).

Then I thought of axe, ox, box, fox...

Ugh, the Bachelor Nation players were terrible. This is what comes from including reality show pseudo-celebs who don't really understand how to play the game. In the first round Matt James kept saying "what is . . . " like he thought he was on Jeopardy. I miss the old days when game shows were so prevalent there was a whole stable of professional game show celebs who understood how to play the games.

Wendy and Tom Lennon were better, especially the latter, although Wendy was a bit slow on the uptake. Granted, "types of torches" is a tough subject; "tiki ones" is probably the best clue but she still didn't get it after Michael said it. For "things you meet" I would have said The Fockers. 

Also, how old are these episodes? Both games seemed to indicate they were at least two years old because Trump was twice referred to as the current president. Even so, the hugging moratorium seems to have been lifted.

I can't believe they buzzed 'gelatine' for 'jell-o' but not "x-ray' for 'words with x'.

I thought he got stuck because the first thing he thought of was x-ray and knew he would probably get buzzed. And should have been too. 

I think that's why the contestant (whose name I didn't get) was hesitating. He didn't know if saying exam, exclamation, executive, etc., would get him buzzed. But it turned out to be safe.

The first game was bad. The two celebrities did about as well as I expected. But both contestants were weak as well. I don't understand why the guy gave the movie clue for the word 'butler.' He was making it too hard. Just say, "This is the man who serves you at your home."

Types of Baths was hard. Is there a perfect clue? I was thinking bubble, milk, tongue, but I don't think these would work well.

For Things You Repair/Fix, the guy gave the clue of 'broken cars,' and the gal answered, "Mechanical things." That was good enuf for the judges. Argh.

Types of Torches? What else is there besides Olympic and tiki? English flashlights are called torches, but I highly doubt the celeb would get that.

The second game was much better, but Wendi whatshername gave clues soooooo slowly and just took too long to figure out what she was going to say.

For Solid Things, I thought "a good foundation."

For 'pucker' I thought saying, "Blank up and give me a kiss."

For Things You Meet, maybe adding "Someone's expectations," to the list of things the guy gave.

The Bachelor half hour was very funny.  Woman contestant says Academy Award.  Dumb Bachelor doesn't know it's Oscar.  So woman contestant says 'The grouch!"  Bachelor says the grinch!  Yet after this embarrassing performance Bachelor Dude goes onto win the male contestant $100,000!

1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

The second game was much better, but Wendi whatshername gave clues soooooo slowly

And Lennon was like a machine gun with his clue-giving and guessing!

I always try to play the big money Pyramid with the contestants.  I simply look away from my TV and listen to the clues.  When the contestant got to Baths, he was saying Bubble ones, acid ones.  I heard Bubble wines, acid wines... I wonder if Wendy heard that too.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 1
On 7/25/2022 at 3:02 PM, peeayebee said:

I thought about waxed paper but wasn't sure how you'd say it. "Kitchen paper"? Cut-Rite is the big brand, but I'm not sure how many people would recognize that name.

I think that's sharp!  (Pun intended.)  IIRC Cut-Rite is a product of Reynolds, but "Reynolds wrap" makes me think of tinfoil, so invoking Reynolds mightn't've helped.

My idea for waxed: "the 40 Year Old Virgin's chest."  For types of torches this week: "the Liberty Statue one" (phrased that way to avoid the no-prepositions rule).

I hoped Wendi would do a little better.  "The Goldbergs" has been pretty bad for a few years now but she's always seemed very likable to me.

I imagine Sunday at 9 is more desirable than Sunday at 10 - maybe a sign the show is doing well?  Or "Final Straw" is bombing.  It's very lightweight but cute for the background IMO.

The season is in the can, I think, so they can't make it less dirty for the new slot.  I (Hulu watcher) didn't realize it was ever that late.  Actually, I thought this last ep had less "dirty." 

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

My idea for waxed: "the 40 Year Old Virgin's chest."  For types of torches this week: "the Liberty Statue one" (phrased that way to avoid the no-prepositions rule).

Both excellent clues!

I guess for the waxing one, you could just say, "A woman's hairy lip." I didn't think about adding the word 'hairy,' which would be allowed, I believe.

• Like 1

For "Things you meet" I was screaming "Your date's parents". I thought he was going there when he started with "Your first date" but he never went further. 

It seems like they like slipping the "dirty" words into the 7th word often. I noticed "Breast Milk" was one of the words they JUST missed getting to this time. 

The second game was much better, but Wendi whatshername gave clues soooooo slowly and just took too long to figure out what she was going to say.

Yeah, one of the clues was "sitting" and she hemmed and hawed trying to think how to describe sitting when all she had to say was "not standing but". Whenever you can use the opposite of the word it's the easiest path.

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Also, how old are these episodes? Both games seemed to indicate they were at least two years old because Trump was twice referred to as the current president. Even so, the hugging moratorium seems to have been lifted.

There was something in (I think) the first episode of the season that indicated they were filmed recently (2022); I forget what it was (something in the categories or just a comment) but I remember commenting on it (probably on the previous page by now).

6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

For Things You Repair/Fix, the guy gave the clue of 'broken cars,' and the gal answered, "Mechanical things." That was good enuf for the judges. Argh.

I think she actually said 'things a mechanic fixes."

50 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, one of the clues was "sitting" and she hemmed and hawed trying to think how to describe sitting when all she had to say was "not standing but".

Or "what you're doing in your chair"...

Edited by ams1001

Another reason I have heard for the switch to celebs receiving clues in the winners' circle is that "they" ("the powers that be") would rather have the contestants' fate be in their own hands, in the sense that they'd rather have them lose the money if they themselves blurt out something illegal or just can't come up with any good clues, than be let down by the celebs.  I don't know what I think about that - to me, it's a team effort either way, but maybe they're trying to avoid some tempest in a Twitter teapot about "_____ cost this hardworking lady $100K" or whatever.

22 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I miss the old days when game shows were so prevalent there was a whole stable of professional game show celebs who understood how to play the games.

Hear hear!

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 4
59 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Another reason I have heard for the switch to celebs receiving clues in the winners' circle is that "they" ("the powers that be") would rather have the contestants' fate be in their own hands, in the sense that they'd rather have them lose the money if they themselves blurt out something illegal or just can't come up with any good clues, rather than be let down by the celebs.  I don't know what I think about that - to me, it's a team effort either way, but maybe they're trying to avoid some tempest in a Twitter teapot about "_____ cost this hardworking lady $100K with" or whatever.

When Wendi was going to the Winner's Circle, it looked to me like she was asking the contestant which chair she should sit in. Maybe she didn't understand or forgot that the celebs receive the clues, unlike the old days.

I’m almost positive I’ve see the celebrity give the clues before on this version. I think it the contestant’s choice, and they almost always choose to give. Same as with the third round during the game. And given the quality of some of the celebs, I can’t say I blame them. 

• Love 1

Sigh, again with the extremely lenient judging during the Winner's Circle, which I maybe just need to let slide to enjoy the show, but it felt even more questionable watching it happen twice with that one contestant who ended up taking the win. What's the point of specifying "Classic books" and "Marching band" in the categories if all that has to be said is "books" and "band"?

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2

Am I going crazy, or did the guy with the Italian last name not know what calamari is?

You're not crazy. The clue was "the part of calamari you eat" and he replied "The tail?" I don't think Joe Tessitore knows much about anything that isn't sports related. Neither he nor Rob Riggle were very good, although they weren't horrible. 

What's the point of specifying "Classic books" and "Marching band" in the categories if all that has to be said is "books" and "band"?

Ugh, I agree. 

The woman in the first game was named Darrin. I've never heard that name used by a woman before. And what did she say about a box that had to be bleeped and had everyone rolling?

"Things you complain about" was a hard one to get to. I can't come up with anything perfect for that. "Places with sand" should have been easier if he'd thought to say "the desert."

• Like 1

I agree, the winners circle judging was extra lenient last night, when what felt like important words (as noted above) were ignored. Granted the words are important for the clue giver to limit what they can say, so maybe that's part of what/why they accepted the weaker answers.

All in all, it felt like an average episode. The celebrities and the contestants weren't strong, but they also weren't horrible for the most part. (Unlike the Bachelor stars or the HipHop stars) 

I almost wonder if they had to pause the game for the Box answer, given how badly everyone was cracking up. It didn't feel like a pause, but at the same time,  Michael had to hide behind the board to recover. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

The woman in the first game was named Darrin. I've never heard that name used by a woman before. And what did she say about a box that had to be bleeped and had everyone rolling?

I thought they were saying Darrin but at least once I thought Michael said Karen so I couldn't decide what her name even was.

Pretty sure she said a slang term for a certain part of the female anatomy for which "box" is also a euphemism; I can't think of anything else that would have gotten bleeped. She's never gonna live that one down. 😄

15 minutes ago, Taeolas said:

It didn't feel like a pause, but at the same time,  Michael had to hide behind the board to recover. 

He was also still wiping away tears after the round ended.

For "places with sand," I thought of a mandala.  It's not really a "place," but the judges don't seem to be observing those finer points.  Abe Lincoln's cabin was perfect for "things with logs" - I also thought of "a yule fireplace."

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Pretty sure she said a slang term for a certain part of the female anatomy for which "box" is also a euphemism; I can't think of anything else that would have gotten bleeped. She's never gonna live that one down. 😄

I thought she said "dick in a box," which was one of the Lonely Island music videos Andy Samberg did for SNL.  IIRC it aired on the show with over a dozen bleeps, and was released online uncensored immediately thereafter, in an early example of "digital extra" content around 2006.  (These events are indelibly fixed in my mind since I was attending an all-boys middle school at the time.)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Taeolas said:

It didn't feel like a pause, but at the same time,  Michael had to hide behind the board to recover. 

He has a history of over-reacting to allegedly funny things;  See Live with Kelly & Michael and Good Morning America.

Edited by sugarbaker design

Yeah, I'm sure she said something like, "You put your dick in this," or "Dick in a blank."

Darrin was good, but a little much. She was WAY more hyper than was necessary. For one thing, I think when you're giving clues for something easy, just say the clues in a normal voice. For ex, Types of Dances -- Just say, "The tango, the waltz," and not "Tango! Waltz!"

51 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Abe Lincoln's cabin was perfect for "things with logs"

Yes. Perfect. I was thinking, simply, "A fireplace, a beaver dam." 

For things your complain about, I thought, "Bad service, the weather, your ailments."

When Mark Duplass said 'slow' but not 'slowly,' I'm sure if the contestant had said, "The adverb form," Mark would have gotten it.

I thought 'lush' was a hard word, but I didn't consider the meaning could be a drunk person.

I agree with others about the judges accepting responses that don't really match what's specified. Accepting Band when it really should have been MARCHING Band made me roll my eyes.

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I thought she said "dick in a box," which was one of the Lonely Island music videos Andy Samberg did for SNL.

Ah, that's probably more likely, actually. I never would have thought of it, though.

53 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I thought she said "dick in a box," which was one of the Lonely Island music videos Andy Samberg did for SNL.  IIRC it aired on the show with over a dozen bleeps, and was released online uncensored immediately thereafter, in an early example of "digital extra" content around 2006.  (These events are indelibly fixed in my mind since I was attending an all-boys middle school at the time.)

I thought she said "dick in a box" as well, but the reactions were so "shocked" that I second guessed if I interpreted the bleep correctly. SNL made that phrase so mainstream that I wouldn't think it would cause such a stir if that's what she actually said.

• Like 1

"Things you complain about" was definitely tough.  I couldn't think of anything that perfectly captured the difference between something about which you'd complain, as opposed to "things that aggravate you," "things that make you unhappy," etc.  I wouldn't've known what to do but keep nodding and hope they said it.

9 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I thought 'lush' was a hard word, but I didn't consider the meaning could be a drunk person.

"Foster Brooks played the lovable..." would have done it for me, but not likely anyone on stage.  Lush is also a cosmetics retailer that seems to be trendy the last few years.  I recently went to one of their stores and liked it so that what I thought of first, but I don't think I'd've been able to narrow it down quickly from other similar places.

1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

Lush is also a cosmetics retailer that seems to be trendy the last few years.

That was my first thought. The place overwhelms me (at the mall near me it's across from the food court, with an elevator in the middle and a wide walkway on either side of the elevator, and you can smell it from the food court side).

That was a rough episode. Both pairs of celebrities were mediocre to middling at best. I think we've been spoiled by having at least one stand out celebrity per ep, if not two facing off; but that didn't happen this time. 

• Like 4
On 8/4/2022 at 9:08 AM, ajsnaves said:

I’m almost positive I’ve see the celebrity give the clues before on this version. I think it the contestant’s choice, and they almost always choose to give. Same as with the third round during the game. And given the quality of some of the celebs, I can’t say I blame them. 

Maybe in the first season (although I don't remember it) but it has been exclusively contestants since.  I don't think they get a choice because usually Michael would ask who is going to give and who would receive.

Sure, many of the celebs aren't that great but there are some who are like Lennon, Ken Jennings, Rosie O'Donnell, Kathy Najimi (IIRC), Ross Matthews....etc.  who I'd definitely trust to give clues even more than I'd trust myself.

1 hour ago, sugarbaker design said:

So Diedrich Bader doesn't know the Great Lakes?

IIRC, didn't the contestant focus on Michigan and Ontario which are probably more known as other things.  Throwing in Superior, Huron or Eerie would have helped.  I was trying to think of another non-great lake he could say.  Maybe Placid?

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

IIRC, didn't the contestant focus on Michigan and Ontario which are probably more known as other things. 

I could be wrong but I thought the contestant laid out all five great lakes, to which Bader responded 'Canadian cities', then the contestant focused on "Michigan, Superior...'

• Love 1

IIRC, didn't the contestant focus on Michigan and Ontario which are probably more known as other things.  Throwing in Superior, Huron or Eerie would have helped.  I was trying to think of another non-great lake he could say.  Maybe Placid?

Yeah, he wasn't making the connection to "lakes" because if you just say Michigan and Ontario, you think states or places. 

I could be wrong but I thought the contestant laid out all five great lakes, to which Bader responded 'Canadian cities', then the contestant focused on "Michigan, Superior...'

He never said "Erie." But even if he had, with the exception of Superior, most of these names double as states or areas, you might not automatically think of the lakes. I think Erie would have clued me in though.

Both pairs of celebrities were mediocre to middling at best. I think we've been spoiled by having at least one stand out celebrity per ep, if not two facing off; but that didn't happen this time. 

Agreed. Cedric the Entertainer was terrible at giving clues. Pamela Adlon was pretty bad too. 

"Games with Dice" should have been an easy subject: Craps, Parcheesi, almost any board game, but Craps would be the ideal clue. "Things you try" is tougher, I can't think of a definitive clue for that.

"Kinds of stations" and "harsh things" are tough subject too.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I could be wrong but I thought the contestant laid out all five great lakes, to which Bader responded 'Canadian cities', then the contestant focused on "Michigan, Superior...

I went back to watch and he did. I had forgotten that. But then he focused on Ontario and Michigan instead of Superior, Huron or Eerie which I think was a mistake since I think it pulled Diedrich even further away--and he was already on the wrong path.

Michael gave a "The Great" clue.  Could the contestant have said "The Great ones?" 

I sometimes think Michael gives clues that would be buzzed if a contestant gave them.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

The contestant did say Huron and Superior, but then kept repeating Michigan and Ontario which I think threw him off. I thought of Placid but I think I would have gone with "The Great Salt --."

• Useful 1