Type keyword(s) to search

The $100,000 Pyramid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

"Low-rated TV shows" was a great clue. Too bad Ana couldn't get it. "Rained-out baseball games" is also good. Checks are cancelled, but I'm not sure how you'd phrase it.  "A cleared [bank] check"? "An unwanted subscription"?

ETA: I just saw Cyranetta's post about cancelled checks.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1

I missed half the show because they kept breaking in with weather reports (tornado warning in Manhattan?!) but from what I did see...jeez, Gilbert Gottfried is bad at this. His first partner wasn't that great, either. Both way too slow. He was doing better in round 2 until they got to the winner's circle. Some of her clues just confused him, I think, which didn't help.

Of all the people who don't use their words when giving clues, the last person I expected to do that was Neil DeGrasse Tyson. I listen to his podcast. He never shuts up.

Saw most of round 2 in the first game; felt bad for Kathy that she messed up the Mystery 7 on the very first clue. She's usually a pretty good player.

"Scientists, we don't make that much money." I suspect Neil is doing just fine for himself.

Saw most of round 2 in the first game; felt bad for Kathy that she messed up the Mystery 7 on the very first clue. She's usually a pretty good player.

Yeah, she was off her game. The first partner she had just wasn't connecting, I think. "It's like a chicken but the other one." What?? Also, it's hard to believe she doesn't know what Fox News is. 

For states that end in "a" the contestant should have been accentuating that last letter. "AlabamUH. FloridUH. CalifornyUH. AlaskUH."

In the second round the judges gave Kathy "Nosebleed" just from her saying "blood" then "nose." 

Gilbert Gottfried should never be invited back. His brain is just way too slow. Plus he didn't even know where Barcelona is.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

For states that end in "a" the contestant should have been accentuating that last letter. "AlabamUH. FloridUH. CalifornyUH. AlaskUH."

Exactly what I was thinking. However, the guy was really good at clue-giving and receiving, too. Generally, I thought the other contestant was good, too. I was also impressed by her beatboxing.

I felt so bad for Kathy (and the contestant) when she said bicycle. 

As for the second game, yikes. First off, I hated NdGT's story about the dancing. It was a long story contrived for a punchline.

Second, I assumed that Gilbert was ill. Not only was he wearing pj's and a bathrobe, but we didn't see him walk in at the beginning or walk to the Winner's Circle.

I was disappointed in both Neil's and Gilbert's game play.

The contestant, Christina, was also pretty bad. What the heck did she say for Mexico? I didn't blame Neil for not getting it. Like Michael said, all you had to say was, The country south of the border. She gave a few weird, unnecessarily complicated clues.

I noticed when Hannah was in the Winner's Circle the first time, for Things in a Basket, when she said, "Little Red Riding Hood's grandma food," the audience groaned. I wonder if they thought the clue would be buzzed.

• Love 1

Was Kathy ever a really good player?  I have a vague memory she was, but this isn't the first time I recall thinking she didn't live up to the hype.

I thought "Famous Mothers" was harder than it looked.  Use "Goose, Teresa, Hubbard, Jones" as if for Mother ___ or not?  Many dead ends.

Everybody was off when the answer was "Things in Spain," Gilbert tried Rome after "Barcelona," and then the contestant said "Latin speakers."  Oy.

5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

The contestant, Christina, was also pretty bad. What the heck did she say for Mexico? I didn't blame Neil for not getting it. Like Michael said, all you had to say was, The country south of the border. She gave a few weird, unnecessarily complicated clues.

She said "Playa del Carmen" and "Quintana Roo," the state containing Playa del Carmen.  Maybe she has a timeshare there so it was on her mind? ;)

5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Second, I assumed that Gilbert was ill. Not only was he wearing pj's and a bathrobe, but we didn't see him walk in at the beginning or walk to the Winner's Circle.

I thought the same, although he hasn't looked particularly well to me in some time.  Did Neil walk across to the WC?  I forgot to check.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I thought "Famous Mothers" was harder than it looked.  Use "Goose, Teresa, Hubbard, Jones" as if for Mother ___ or not?  Many dead ends.

Also Whistler. Maybe The Virgin Mary.

I'm sorry they ran out of time for Places You See an American Flag. I think a perfect clue would be "a politician's lapel."

• Love 2
15 hours ago, 853fisher said:

She said "Playa del Carmen" and "Quintana Roo," the state containing Playa del Carmen.  Maybe she has a timeshare there so it was on her mind? ;)

Seriously...if you're gonna go with cities, say Cancún, Acapulco, Tijuana. Meanwhile I was in my living room yelling "the country right below us!"

• Love 2

I agree, Gilbert was awful; they could've doubled the time just for him and I doubt he could've reached all of the topics/clues. I almost wonder if the "Famous Ducks" or whatever it was, was partly intended just for him so a contestant could be tempted to say "The Afflac Mascot" or something.  In any case he seemed extra slow which does make me wonder/worry about his health. 

Neil was decent enough, maybe an average celebrity for the show, maybe a tad slow. The second round his partner was slow/not clicking with him which didn't help.

The first half was much much better. Messing up the Mystery 7 on the first clue when they needed the perfect 7 was rough. Not a #-cycle but a-  is a VERY tempting clue for bicycle; but rightfully got buzzed. 

On 8/19/2021 at 1:25 PM, peeayebee said:

The second game, man, I was literally covering my face. It was horrible. The Real Housewives were awful. The contestants were a little better. I wonder if the show deliberately pairs so-so players with so-so celebrities.

"A rose. A crystal wine glass."
"Vases."

Vases? WTF!?

I was kinda surprised at how bad the contestant Kacy was at giving clues. Heck, the whole show was a train wreck.

I was also surprised that in the Silly String category, there were THREE tough words to get: finally, literally, and legally. The clue of Legally Blonde was good, but what are good ones for the other two words?

In the first game I was again shaking my head at the judges ruling, allowing "sandals" for "sand." Yes, I know the word "sand" is in "sandals," but that's not the word. Grrrr.

Dascha giving the clues for mud -- Of course she should have said, "It's water and dirt mixed together," but instead she said something like "It's dirty," and "It's on the side of a mountain." Then when Eric said, "Dirt," she says, "No, something else." Well, THAT helps. :eyeroll:

I was glad that both contestants in the first game got to go to the Winners Circle. I always like that.

ETA: I thought that over the pandemic, Zoom overtook Skype for videoconferencing. I know that people used to always say they were going Skype, but I wonder if more people now say they're going to Zoom.

I don't know how I officially missed this, but.... Ho.lee.shit.

Really up there with the football players from a few years ago for the worst players ever. Was it Gronski?

Wow. The arbitrary judging on this show is driving me bonkers. In the first game, in the Winner's Circle, the subject was "Car Terms" and the contestant said "Auto mechanic." How was she not buzzed for that?! "Auto" is just a another word for "car." I'm dumbfounded she got away with it. Especially since, very next game, subject was "things that are extended" and the contestant got buzzed for saying "elongated" because it's a simile for the word!

Jeepers. 

Also, in the main game, I didn't think the contestant should have been buzzed after Joe said "chud" and the contestant said "without the H." I mean, he just said the word. If the clue giver said "chud without the H" then, sure, buzz him, but Joe said "chud" and all he said in response was "drop the H." Contestants have gotten away with way worse.

Couldn't believe Bridget didn't think to say "car" for hearse. Criminy.

• Love 3

It didn't even register with me when he said "Vanessa" instead of "Venus." I was wondering why the audience groaned.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:33 AM, iMonrey said:

Also, in the main game, I didn't think the contestant should have been buzzed after Joe said "chud" and the contestant said "without the H." I mean, he just said the word. If the clue giver said "chud without the H" then, sure, buzz him, but Joe said "chud" and all he said in response was "drop the H." Contestants have gotten away with way worse.

I agree with the judges here. Saying "without the H" was basically spelling out the answer. 

Couldn't believe Bridget didn't think to say "car" for hearse. Criminy.

I know! Egads. "A car that carries a dead body." Easy peasy.

The first game had four great players. I felt bad that Rob and Laura got hung up on 'gyrate.' I think at the last minute Rob thought about Elvis. He should have come up with that sooner.

And then with Mario, he started out referring to a puppet as a prop. Yes, it kind of is, but a better clue would be something like, "Carrot Top uses these in his act."

"Things You Put Out" was kind of hard. A fire (or a forest fire), a daily newspaper. The cat? 

In the second game, the contestant Rachel gave some bad clues for thermos and Tesla. Thermos: It's an insulated container that keeps soup or coffee hot. Then Tesla... I can't remember what she even said, though I think she ran out of time. But simply, "The expensive electric car, created by Elon Musk."

What would you say for hemorrhoids? "When your anal tissues get swollen." ??

Things You Do Standing Up. Yes, "a man urinating" was a good one, though I think she first said, "A man's urination," which is different. Other ones: Writing at blackboard, waiting in line.

I'm a little uncertain about "Types of Questions." My first thought was 'Rhetorical ones.' But then the contestant started with actual questions. She got buzzed. I'm not sure what she did wrong.

I noticed that in the second game, before the Winner's Circle part, Michael snapped his fingers while saying, "Sixty seconds on the clock." I don't think he's snapped his fingers before. I wonder if he was trying out a new thing.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1
On 9/16/2021 at 12:33 PM, iMonrey said:

Wow. The arbitrary judging on this show is driving me bonkers.

In the first half, Mario also gave the clue “Not Billions” for ‘Millions’, and thought for sure that would get buzzed. Is that acceptable? Seems in the same grey area as “bicycle/tricycle” that got buzzed an episode or so ago. 

1 hour ago, bamlouie said:

In the first half, Mario also gave the clue “Not Billions” for ‘Millions’, and thought for sure that would get buzzed. Is that acceptable? Seems in the same grey area as “bicycle/tricycle” that got buzzed an episode or so ago. 

I think there was another game a while back where they did the same thing and it wasn't buzzed then, either.

8 hours ago, bamlouie said:

In the first half, Mario also gave the clue “Not Billions” for ‘Millions’, and thought for sure that would get buzzed. Is that acceptable? 

I might have to rewatch because I don't remember him doing that. 

ETA: Sonofagun. I just rewatched, and he did say that. Can't believe I missed it.

Edited by peeayebee

Things You Do Standing Up. Yes, "a man urinating" was a good one, though I think she first said, "A man's urination," which is different. Other ones: Writing at blackboard, waiting in line.

A solo comedy act.

• Love 3

Yeah considering the tricycle fail earlier this season, accepting billions was a bit sketchy. It's probably because despite rhyming, it is still a complete word by itself or something like that (tricycle is as well so that's still a tough call). Still if you had said "more than thousands" it would probably have been just as acceptable. 

It probably comes down to who the judge is, and how picky they are feeling over the episode. I don't know if they have multiple judges through the season or what, but it's their judgement call that ultimately decides if it is accepted or not. 

Types of Questions is a damn difficult category. Rhetorical ones is the only clue I could think of. I think the first "example" question they got away with because it was a generic question, so it counted as a class of questions. The second example given was too specific. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Just want to bump this up for the new episodes. I kind of got a kick out of the Seinfeld stuff. “Hello Newman “. 

The Seinfeld themed game was funny and I'm not even a Seinfeld fan. 

Russell Peters was pretty good.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Russell Peters was quite good; probably one of the better celebrities the show has had. Loved his commentary on the categories in the first round, (Complete with "Poetry Smash" "I got nothing." ). I suspect Standup Comics might be better at this game than most celebrities since their routines usually require them to be more in touch with everyday stuff. 

Jason and Wayne were also above average IMO, and had some good banter in general (though I'm sure they're both sick to death of anything and everything Seinfeld related). I think some of the final pyramid categories were a bit unfair, or at least more difficult than usual. 

I was surprised they had an Olympian? on and didn't pair her with another sports celebrity. Her first round was very rough but she did a lot better on the second round. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Taeolas said:

I was surprised they had an Olympian? on and didn't pair her with another sports celebrity. Her first round was very rough but she did a lot better on the second round. 

She seemed like she wasn't very comfortable.

Yeah, first round was rough. Couldn't get "tuna" (how about StarKist or Chicken of the Sea?) or Inauguration. Ironically both contestants won $50K in the Winners Circle but I thought the subjects were relatively easy. In the second show they were much harder. Places you see worms: the only other thing besides wet dirt I could think of was "at the end of your fishing line" or "on your fishing hook." For things you pump? Other than gas? And the brakes? Maybe breast milk?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Yeah, for "Things you pump", my mind went "Gas" and then "Breast milk", but I'd be wary about giving that clue for fear of triggering a giggle fit.  "Iron" would be a good clue maybe. 

For worms, "Fishing hook" was an obvious clue that was missed. 

"People that Inspire" was tough because there are so many synonyms for "Inspire" as we saw. He danced around the answer but couldn't get the right word. 

• Love 1

Russell was a little too "on" for me, but he did play well.  Jason and Wayne were both good too.  Lindsey struck me as someone who could have improved over a week's worth of games, as in the 70s/80s.

I'd love to have an every-weekday Pyramid again.  25 Words or Less makes much hay out of a few excellent celeb players who visit regularly, like they used to on Pyramid or Password.  But you can't really approach things that way when nobody plays more than two games a year, and most do less than that.

A bit of related trivia: I think Jason is the second person on this new version, after Rita Moreno, to have also been a celeb player pre-2000.  I'd be curious to see a few others who are still in public life.  To name two who played often and well, Melody Thomas Scott is still on "Young and Restless" and Vicki Lawrence is still doing performing / speaking tours.  So call me a dinosaur - I can hope!

• Like 3
15 hours ago, ams1001 said:

She seemed like she wasn't very comfortable.

Yeah, I thought she was either nervous or was just a low-key person. I haven't seen her interviewed or anything like that before, so I don't know how she normally appears.

11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah, first round was rough. Couldn't get "tuna" (how about StarKist or Chicken of the Sea?) 

Those are both good. I would have said, "Albacore..."

Places you see worms: the only other thing besides wet dirt I could think of was "at the end of your fishing line" or "on your fishing hook."

I too thought of fishing hook. I thought Michael's "the early bird's beak" was good.

For things you pump? Other than gas? And the brakes? Maybe breast milk?

'Fist' came to my mind, though I'm not sure if that would have clicked.

I thought the first 1/2 hour was painful. I didn't like any of the people, though Russell Peters (who?) was pretty good. I can't believe Taylor Swift would have thought that gal looked like her.

The second game was better because Jason Alexander and Wayne Knight are both good players and also are entertaining. Can't say I really liked these two contestants either. It's sad (to me) that the producers are all about getting the contestants to be, well, too much.

I don't know if it's just me, but Michael doesn't seem as lively as usual. I thought he was either not feeling well, feeling down, or just out of practice. It's been a LONG time since the show was on.

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I don't know if it's just me, but Michael doesn't seem as lively as usual. I thought he was either not feeling well, feeling down, or just out of practice. It's been a LONG time since the show was on.

I was a little surprised to realize these were taped this year. So many of these throwback game shows seem to air episodes taped a year or more earlier. (I remember one of the celebs on Match Game mentioning his then-newborn; I looked at his wikipedia page and the kid was almost 2 by the time the show aired. To Tell The Truth also seems to be taped well in advance.)

I guess they're done with the social distancing, too. Last season there was no hugging when they won.

6 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought the first 1/2 hour was painful. I didn't like any of the people, though Russell Peters (who?) was pretty good. I can't believe Taylor Swift would have thought that gal looked like her.

Russell Peters is a Canadian Standup Comedian mainly. He's a fixture on the Comedy Network up here, hosting a number of shows. But I didn't think he'd made enough of a splash in the States to be a Celebrity on Pyramid. 

He tends to do dry observational humour, which I like, but I haven't really sought out his shows much to have much of an impression of him one way or another. Mainly just what I see on commercials on CTV in passing. For a Canadian version of Pyramid, he would certainly qualify as a Celebrity (and possibly qualify as the host but I think his humour is too dry for hosting) 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I recognized Russell right away, but couldn't've told you where from.  I looked at his credits and don't think I've heard of, much less seen, most of his comedy work.  I thought about it a little more, and I think I know him from "25 Words or Less" and maybe one of the other recent game show revivals.  Maybe he has a good agent?  Anyway, he got me to his IMDB page, and I'll be looking out for him.  Not like I'm any big tastemaker, but when you're trying to break out, any little bit can help.

Russell Peters has been around forever, he's a stand-up comic. If your'e not a big stand-up comedy fan you might not know who he is because that's primarily what he does.

• Like 1

I feel like the rappers are too, uh, laid back for this show. That first game felt so slow..

I must admit, I was not expecting the phrase, "So my partner and I have two naked cats..."

"The farmer in the...Delaware" was a good one. 😄

"The [blank] family, the creepy ones." "Partridge?" 🤣

I love Ron Funches. He's really never been on this show before?

• Love 7

Wiz Khalifa and Ty Dolla $ign weren't quite the train wreck I thought they would be, but am I mistaken or did they really dumb down the questions in that game? Categories like "first names of popular hip hop artists" and "words that end in "ma"" seem tailor made for them. And the Winner Circle subjects! Movies, Things on your hand, What Chris Rock might say, Parts of a Shark, Kinds of Poles, and Cities in Philadelphia. And Ty couldn't even get Philadelphia. Granted, the contestant couldn't think of any other city than Philadelphia. Geez Louise. 

And then in the second round the subjects were Brands of potato chips, What Snoopy might say, Things a golfer does, Late night hosts, Things that go slowly, and Things that are puffed. These just seemed way too easy.

Also: I can't remember if it was Wiz or Ty but when the clue was "Arkansas" the only thing he could think of was "State that starts with A" and he didn't get buzzed!!! You can't do that! You can't just say "this word starts with A." Wow.

Also, what's up with the sunglasses? Were they both stoned? Because it seemed like they were.

Second game much better, love Ron Funches and Bobby Moynihan's energy is off the chart. Hilarious that when asked which family was "the creepy one" Ron said "The Partridges?" LOL.

I couldn't think of anything better for "Things you stand on" except maybe a scale.

Another cheat, in the second game the subject was "What an escalator might say" and instead she just described what an escalator was. She should have gotten buzzed.

• Like 2
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, ams1001 said:

"The farmer in the...Delaware" was a good one. 😄

"The [blank] family, the creepy ones." "Partridge?" 🤣

Yes to both of these!  Saying "The farmer in the..." was excellent, and I love how Bobby slowly keyed into it. "Dell...aware."

Creepy Partridge Family was great.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Wiz Khalifa and Ty Dolla $ign weren't quite the train wreck I thought they would be, but am I mistaken or did they really dumb down the questions in that game?

Definitely. I was not happy when I saw that these were the celebrities, but they did pretty good.

Granted, the contestant couldn't think of any other city than Philadelphia. Geez Louise. 

She also said Pittsburgh. However, I think even if she named every city in Pennsylvania he wouldn't have gotten it.

Also: I can't remember if it was Wiz or Ty but when the clue was "Arkansas" the only thing he could think of was "State that starts with A" and he didn't get buzzed!!! You can't do that! You can't just say "this word starts with A." Wow.

I know! What was that? To quote you, Geez louise.

Also, what's up with the sunglasses? Were they both stoned? Because it seemed like they were.

Ty Dolla $ign did take his sunglasses off a couple of times.

I couldn't think of anything better for "Things you stand on" except maybe a scale.

A scale is a good one. Michael did say "Your feet," but better would be "Your own two feet." Maybe also Your principles.

Another cheat, in the second game the subject was "What an escalator might say" and instead she just described what an escalator was. She should have gotten buzzed.

It bugs me, but I don't think that's really a cheat. After all, all the responders get credit for merely saying one word from what the answer should be. "Golf" instead of "What a golfer might say," and so forth.

I was bothered when the one guy answered manicure then pedicure, when the answer was mani-pedi. 

I don't mind them getting credit for saying "X" when the category is "What an X might say". The intent for those types of categories is to force the clue giver into a certain type of clue style different from normal; as long as that clue style is followed properly, there's no real need to be extra strict on the answer in that case. 

The Mani-pedi answer was very sketchy. At first I thought they gave it to him because they would have won a tie anyways; but then I realized the other team had gotten a 7 answer round (I think), while the other 5 categories went the full 30, so the other team would have had the faster time ultimately. 

All in all, I think Hip-hop artists are one of the celebrities I least like to see on the show; mainly because it seems they are literally high most of the time they are on. I swear it takes them 30 seconds just to recognize the word they have at times. 

• Love 2

It bugs me, but I don't think that's really a cheat. After all, all the responders get credit for merely saying one word from what the answer should be. "Golf" instead of "What a golfer might say," and so forth.

That bugs me too. I'm a stickler for rules and I wish the judging wasn't so lax. I appreciate it when the celebrity knows enough to say "things a golfer says" instead of just "golf." The subject is "what a golfer might say" not golf itself. Those are two different things.  Frankly, the way the clue giver is phrasing it, as in "Hi, I'm holding a club and hitting a ball sitting on a tee" should evoke "what so-and-so says" naturally. Just saying "golf" makes you look like you aren't familiar with the game. In which case, WTH are you doing there?

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

I learned that I *really* like Wiz whatever the rest of his name is speaking voice. So deep! So grumbly! However, I was shocked that either team scored any points! Both rappers were speaking soooooo slowly! I thought they were going to fall asleep. Or, they sounded SUPER high, like y'all were saying. I'm slightly southern and I definitely drawl but come on, put some pep in your step! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My impression of the rappers was that they didn't think it would be cool to seem too invested.  I don't think they were making no effort at all, but you'd never catch them on the edge of their seats trying to spit out a last-second answer.

I was a little surprised to see "orgasm" in one game and "climax" in the other.  I think the writers are trying a bit too hard with those kinds of answers and the dirty pun categories.  I'm not a prude, although I guess that's what all the prudes say - I just think there's a time and place for everything, including keeping it clean and suitable for the whole proverbial family.  Going "blue" doesn't really add anything to the show IMO.

I do always give bonus style points for contestants who say "Things You _____," "What a _____ Would Say," etc., instead of just "_____."

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Ken Jennings!

And a set of twins playing against each other. Interesting.

Is it just me or is there a lot more sexual innuendo this season...

So Ken got "orgy" and was glad to be "receiving" the Long Hard D clues... 😏

Can't help but wonder how much botox was on that stage, between Ru Paul and Carson Kressley...

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Ken Jennings!

And a set of twins playing against each other. Interesting.

Is it just me or is there a lot more sexual innuendo this season...

So Ken got "orgy" and was glad to be "receiving" the Long Hard D clues... 😏

Can't help but wonder how much botox was on that stage, between Ru Paul and Carson Kressley...

Ken Rocks! 

yes, definitely has become racier.  So much for  any kind of family shows these days.

It almost doesn't seem fair to have to play against Ken Jennings, he's so good. He even knew enough to say "What a such-and-such might say" instead of just the thing. He's a real pro. And I've never seen siblings play against each other before, let alone twins.

The second game paled in comparison, obviously, although both Carson Kressley and RuPaul weren't that bad, they just weren't Ken Jennings. But then who is? I couldn't make out what the male contestant's name was: Hico? Too bad he screwed himself over both times by blurting out the subject. Things at a picnic: a picnic! And he didn't seem to understand what a delivery room meant, although it might not have mattered. 

I thought it was funny in the second round when RuPaul and Christine were paired together because they were both wearing the exact same thing.

• Like 3
  • Love 1