Type keyword(s) to search

The $100,000 Pyramid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So either it was a coincidence, or the producers have started to talk to the celebs.

Maybe there are new judges (probably not). I thought one of the categories got buzzed for an overly picky reason: I can't remember exactly what it was but she used the same first letter as the word or something ridiculous. For all the crap they usually get away with I was surprised they were being that picky.

And here I was thinking he was good.  In the first game, the score was 21-20.  So I was thinking they were good.  I don't remember what happened in Part II.  Did everything fall apart?

Well, he had a terrible first round where he had to give the clues. He improved after that, but I remember the last time he was on he struggled in much the same way so it bugged me they had him back. He might be borderline but there are definitely celebrities that do so poorly I don't want them ever invited back. Gayle King comes to mind . . .

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, opus said:

Ep 2- Jones/Bowen was a repeat, right ?

They were also on the 1st episode of the season, according to IMDB, but the other game was Debra Messing/Mario Cantone.

They should have buzzed on "someone who studies" for student.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, opus said:

Ep 2- Jones/Bowen was a repeat, right ?

Yes.  Their section of the show is a repeat of the first part of the season premiere.  If you have it available On Demand, you can see that they have the same contestants and are wearing the same clothes as the wore in the premiere.   Plus, some of it was even familiar. 

I hadn't seen this episode so it was new to me and I really enjoyed the Jones/Bowen segment! The circular clue was hard! All I could think of was "saw" then my mind went blank...maybe a maze?

I was screaming at the tv(yes, I know that really helps!) For things that you pull...Taffy and an abscessed tooth...

As a side note, if I make it to 86 I want to look like Rita Moreno!

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, suebee12 said:

I hadn't seen this episode so it was new to me and I really enjoyed the Jones/Bowen segment! The circular clue was hard! All I could think of was "saw" then my mind went blank...maybe a maze?

I thought there were a lot of tough words in the first round.  As for circular, maybe roundabout? Or convoluted logic?  But that was tough.

• Love 2

For circular I thought "some driveways." And for things you pull I thought of "wagon" but little else.

I adore Rita Moreno but she was just too damn slow. And she wasted a lot of time goofing around in the first round before she realized the clock was running. I hate to say it but they should almost have an age limit for the celebrities. Your brain just doesn't work as fast the older you get. Trust me . . . I know.

I'm amazed at how many people don't seem to know who Mike Pence is. This is the second time that clue has stumped somebody.

I swore I heard the audience gasp at that - even they expected a buzz. The judging is so damn random.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

When was that? I don't remember it.

I also don't remember seeing the Jones/Bowen ep. I love Leslie Jones. She's a good player and so into it yet not annoyingly so.

13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I thought there were a lot of tough words in the first round.  As for circular, maybe roundabout? Or convoluted logic?  But that was tough.

I like convoluted logic for a clue. The contestant's problem was that she only gave orbital-type clues rather than flat ones. A dinner plate, a ring, a clock face.

For things you pull I was thinking a window shade ring, a stubborn donkey, your own weight.

Boy, Jovani was a little too much, though she did a great bit with the imaginary bong, sounds and all.

18 hours ago, opus said:

Ep 1- A  caveman is NOT a cave

Wow, that bugged me. It's not like saying a different form of the word (e.g., walking instead of walk), and the clues would be completely different. Michael should have interrupted her and said, "Read it again."

I really enjoyed the energy in the second half and if I'd seen it before I guess I forgot it :)  But I have to say my favorite moment was when the curly-haired woman couldn't get a clue in the (what's it called? the big pyramid?) and at the end, Michael started suggesting possible clues, and with a very well disguised eye-roll, she said something like "all good choices.  very good options".  I don't think I would have been that gracious!

Edited by SoMuchTV
typo
3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

When was that? I don't remember it.

I also don't remember seeing the Jones/Bowen ep. I love Leslie Jones. She's a good player and so into it yet not annoyingly so.

I want to say it was in the first game but I honestly can't remember who said it (I don't think it's an exact quote, but they definitely used the word "studies"). There was another one I thought they should have buzzed but I can't remember that, either. 

I remember seeing Leslie/Julie, and I remember the Debra/Mario game they were paired with in the season premiere, but the Leslie/Julie game play was not at all familiar to me.

Edited by ams1001
23 hours ago, peeayebee said:

like convoluted logic for a clue. The contestant's problem was that she only gave orbital-type clues rather than flat ones. A dinner plate, a ring, a clock face.

I always mute the winners circle and give people clues (yes, people do hate me. why do you ask?)  And my mom, in is case, got circular from hula hoop.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Rita said 'one who studies' for student.

I don't remember that. I only remember when a contestant had to give a clue for school. I'll have to see if I see have the ep on my DVR.

47 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

The supposed english teacher who could not describe a gerund was out immediately. 

I think this is supposed to be in the To Tell the Truth thread.  

• Love 2
On 8/6/2018 at 10:24 AM, iMonrey said:

I'm hard-pressed to come up with "things that are hatched" besides baby chicks though. 

An evil plan?

On 8/20/2018 at 12:16 PM, suebee12 said:

I really enjoyed the last show. It is nice when people actually think about their clues...well, except for Pizza Hut...wish she had slowed down and said Papa John's, Little Caesar, Hungry Howies The clue I found hardest was vaseline...really not that easy a word to work with in my opinion.

She was from the town (exurb of Los Angeles, actually) I live in (Norwalk, REPRESENT!) so I was happy she did so well.  $50K in the first round, a vacation and I think $12,000 in the second -- that's nice change for a half-hour's work!

On 8/21/2018 at 12:21 PM, iMonrey said:

I thought one of the categories got buzzed for an overly picky reason: I can't remember exactly what it was but she used the same first letter as the word or something ridiculous. For all the crap they usually get away with I was surprised they were being that picky.

She was buzzed for saying "L.E,D." for "light bulb".  L.E.D. stands for LIGHT emitting Diode, which is why she was buzzed.

I think the one-two punch of "skinny jeans" and "high wire" to get to "tight things" was perhaps the most elegant, efficient and smart bit of clue giving of this revival.  It was so well played by both of the men doing the pyramid.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I think the one-two punch of "skinny jeans" and "high wire" to get to "tight things" was perhaps the most elegant, efficient and smart bit of clue giving of this revival.  It was so well played by both of the men doing the pyramid.

Agreed. George Stephanopoulos and his partner were a great team. 

George and Ali started out slow but got better by the second round. They had good contestants too. But that lady blew it on types of bags. What she should have said was "paper ones, plastic ones, canvas ones . . ."

How could you not list "a burning building" for "places with smoke??" I think that and "opium den" would get the job done.

Funny the word "arctic" tripped someone up in both games. I would say "the North Pole is in the blank circle."

I've never seen a single episode of Real Housewives and know next to nothing about Bethany but she and Ana were both pretty good at this.

• Love 1

Yes, I thought all three celebs were good. Frankly, I was surprised by how good Bethenny was, even though I don't know much about her.

I was happy in the first half-hour that both contestants were winners -- one got $50,000 and the other got the Disney cruise.

• Love 1

Ali's first round was ghastly -- she gave the worst clues ("not an Angel" instead of "Ruler of Hell" for "Satan"????) but she did get better.

Between Bethenny and Ana, they missed 5 clues out of 84.  That's very impressive. 

I don't think "hop" is exactly a synonym for "jump" -- I think he got unfairly buzzed.

12 minutes ago, alexa said:

Oliver Hudson needs to chill. Not only is he being weird but he literally reached over and touched the other contestant while he was giving clues. Like trying to tickle him?  

Yeah, trying to distract the other team should be against the rules.

----------

I know sometimes it's easier to act out certain clues, but then they seem to forget they're not playing charades and are actually allowed to use words.

• Love 3

Anyone else yelling "Say 'I'M A STATE' you idiot!" at the contestant who had the "What California would say" category in the Winner's Circle while she was giving clues that sounded like she was describing a person: "I enjoy surfing and walking on Venice Beach".  *Slaps forehead*

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, DasFlavorPup said:

Anyone else yelling "Say 'I'M A STATE' you idiot!" at the contestant who had the "What California would say" category in the Winner's Circle while she was giving clues that sounded like she was describing a person: "I enjoy surfing and walking on Venice Beach".  *Slaps forehead*

YES!!! In those exact words, too.

I think maybe she read it as 'what a Californian would say"?

----

Anyone else think they should have buzzed on the defense/offense clue?

• Love 1

Wow, Matt McWhatever just gave one of the worst Pyramid performances ever!  He couldn't get 'even numbers' from '2, 4, 6, 8..." (has anyone ever not got the first subject?), closely followed by not saying seafood after hearing 'lobster, shrimp and oysters'.  He is a special kind of stupid.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, alexa said:

Oliver Hudson needs to chill. Not only is he being weird but he literally reached over and touched the other contestant while he was giving clues. Like trying to tickle him?  

It really bothered me because he was interrupting the guy's chances at winning 50k or 100k. That amount may be nothing to the actor but to the average person that's a lot of money. 

• Love 4

Yeah it's a good thing that guy won because I would have cried foul at being distracted like that and losing his concentration because Hudson was messing with him.

Once again the judging was all over the place. They didn't get buzzed for saying "offense" as the clue for defense (or vice versa) even though "fense" is most of the word. But they did get buzzed for saying "hospital" for MASH. Go figure. And in the winner''s circle the category was "brands of potato chips" and all the guy said was "chips" and they gave it to him. He didn't even say "potato!"

I just can't with Johnny Weir and his weird hair. If it were orange he would have looked exactly like an Oompa Loompa, and his contestant, Jeff, looked like he wished he could be partnered with anyone else in the world. 

"Things that are awkward" had to be one of the toughest categories they've ever used. Even Michael couldn't come up with a good clue.

So that finishes off the season. See ya'll next summer!

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I just can't with Johnny Weir and his weird hair. If it were orange he would have looked exactly like and Oompa Loompa, and his contestant, Jeff, looked like he wished he could be partnered with anyone else in the world. 

I won't say I dislike Johnny Weir but...small doses, please.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Once again the judging was all over the place. They didn't get buzzed for saying "offense" as the clue for defense (or vice versa) even though "fense" is most of the word. But they did get buzzed for saying "hospital" for MASH. Go figure. And in the winner''s circle the category was "brands of potato chips" and all the guy said was "chips" and they gave it to him. He didn't even say "potato!"

Yep.  And million wasn't buzzed for billion even though they basically share everything but one letter but land was buzzed for island. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, alexa said:

I have to give that contestant a lot of credit for keeping his cool. That alleged celebrity was being a total dick. I agree that it's good he won. Could have been an awkward situation.

• Love 2
On 9/23/2018 at 7:20 PM, ams1001 said:

Anyone else think they should have buzzed on the defense/offense clue?

Not me. Like many of you have said, the judging is so inconsistent. They accepted married for marriage, sew for sewing, sewage for sewer, but wouldn't accept photographer for photography. I'm not saying they should have, but they should be consistent. I also didn't like the judges buzzing when the guy said hospital during the M*A*S*H bit. I thought defense/offense was fine and million/billion was fine.

On 9/23/2018 at 8:39 PM, sugarbaker design said:

Wow, Matt McWhatever just gave one of the worst Pyramid performances ever!  He couldn't get 'even numbers' from '2, 4, 6, 8..." (has anyone ever not got the first subject?), closely followed by not saying seafood after hearing 'lobster, shrimp and oysters'.  He is a special kind of stupid.

I was surprised by this. I thought he was going to be a good player all the way around when he first started, but esp in the Winners Circle he just sucked. 

White Things is one of the easiest things to guess, so it's a shame that Karen goofed on that. She was an exceptional player.

Ross Matthews was very good, too, as was Jenna Fisher.

• Love 1

I was so happy to see Leslie Jones and Rosie. Leslie Jones was my favorite last time she was on. Her enthusiasm for her partners and to win them money really touched me. Reminded me of how much Rosie loves to win for others. So I was happy to see them on the same show. 

• Love 1

There seems to be a random change in the format now. I noticed the contestant gave the clues in the first round and the celebrity gave the clues in the second round. It's always been the opposite before. It appears they can still choose who gives and who receives in the third round. What I want to know is whether they can choose who gives and who receives in the winner's circle. I have never, ever seen the celebrity give the clues in this version.

Rosie is one of the better celebrities at this game, although she has had her off-moments. Leslie Jones is excellent at guessing clues but not as strong in giving them.

The second show with Cheryl Hines and Anthony Anderson was a let-down. I thought Anderson in particular was terrible. 

• Love 1

I was a little afraid Paul was going to injure Rosie. Take it easy on the talent, dude.

Robert just annoyed the hell out of me. I'm sure they tell the contestants to be excited, but he was over the top for me. 

Not that I wouldn't love a Disney cruise, but it hardly seemed fair that the second guy got a safari in Africa.

On 6/10/2019 at 12:57 PM, iMonrey said:

The second show with Cheryl Hines and Anthony Anderson was a let-down. I thought Anderson in particular was terrible. 

Jeez, it seemed like if they couldn’t get something in half a second they started screaming “Pass”

• Love 1
On 6/10/2019 at 12:57 PM, iMonrey said:

There seems to be a random change in the format now. I noticed the contestant gave the clues in the first round and the celebrity gave the clues in the second round. It's always been the opposite before. It appears they can still choose who gives and who receives in the third round. What I want to know is whether they can choose who gives and who receives in the winner's circle. I have never, ever seen the celebrity give the clues in this version.

Rosie is one of the better celebrities at this game, although she has had her off-moments. Leslie Jones is excellent at guessing clues but not as strong in giving them.

I love Anthony but how the fuck do you miss on Frosty the Snowman 

I just watched the first half and skipped the second. Anthony is awful as a player and I remember his attitude on this show previously. I also wasn't in the mood for the combo of him and Cheryl Hines. He's more tolerable as the host of TTTT.

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure she said "dick." It almost seems quaint in this day and age, where shows on basic cable are using the f-word right and left and "shit" is no longer bleeped, for network shows to bleep a word like "dick." That's a word any seven-year old on a playground is familiar with.

• Love 1
On 6/17/2019 at 3:45 PM, iMonrey said:

I'm pretty sure she said "dick." It almost seems quaint in this day and age, where shows on basic cable are using the f-word right and left and "shit" is no longer bleeped, for network shows to bleep a word like "dick." That's a word any seven-year old on a playground is familiar with.

After reading your post, I kind of understand why my brain went straight to cock😉 seriously,  I think I assumed they wouldn't bleep dick. Idk, that was the first word that popped in my head. 

I was so happy for that guy who won all that money. If I was rich and could afford to give out big chunks of money I would.  I have to settle by  paying for strangers lunch from time to time.

(edited)

I can’t wait to see July 7th’s episode. I’m a huge Impractical Jokers fan, and got tickets to see them Sal and Joe play at a live show taping. The studio is very tiny.  Everything on stage is crushed together lol ... but seems larger when you watch it on TV. The audience was smaller but the energy in there was booming. They played dance music really loud so it feels like a club atmosphere. They seat college students in the front row which are the only audience members you see on camera. I met one of contestants while after the show as we were leaving. From  the pre show prep rehearsals, the warm up comedian, my dad being teased by the comedian, Strahan being  really affable, the studio dance contest to the actual show... it was good game ... we had so much fun. 

Edited by WonderWuman73
  • Love 1

I was really looking forward to the Queer Eye guys but they weren't very good at this. I'm amazed that lady managed to win the $150K, she really knew how to play this. Karamo couldn't even think of archaeologist or auctioneer. 

But boy, if I thought they were bad . . . along came Alyson Hannigan. Yikes! She was terrible. She was just way too flustered and way too unfocused. I felt so bad for the contestants stuck with her. To be fair, the female contestant was the worst possible match because they were both way too manic. I bet she was thrilled when she got over to Joel McHale's table. But then I felt sorry for the poor guy who got stuck with her in the second round. 

I mean, when you have to go thru "Not North, Not South, Not West" just to get to "East,"  wow.

• Love 8