Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Part 23

(edited)

What a stupid ending! I don't even know if I want to watch S3, if this is the direction they're taking. I don't mean John; him leaving the Keys was an interesting choice. I mean Kevin killing Marco. I guess they were just setting us up, with him having a redemption arc. Also, they already got him in deep with another bad guy (Roy), so that should have been enough for that character.

It's also a bummer that Marco, one of the only halfway decent characters, gets killed off. Now if it turns out Nolan did something rash (i.e. kills himself, takes a boat out at night to do it), that will just be doubling down on the bad plot twists. But they went out of their way this season to show him as an essentially good kid who had a terrible life. Maybe that was deliberate, a la the G.R.R. Martin school of storytelling.

Kevin and Meg with their "It's on you, John, we didn't do anything" don't seem to recognize that they're accomplices after the fact,.Meg at least should know what that portends.

Just really, really dissatisfied with that ending.

One other rather major thing. When John has his gun in Eric's face, there is a click. My closed caption says that he "cocks" the pistol. But then he is unable to shoot a man in cold blood, and lowers the gun in disgust and walks out. However, the recapper at EW says that he fires the pistol, but it isn't loaded. Now these are two very different scenarios. What did you all see and/or hear in that scene? Did John fire the pistol or not? 

I made myself watch that entire scene, even though I was incredibly nervous. I wanted to make sure I saw what happened. John cocked the gun but did not fire. I was so relieved when he put the gun away! Little did I know what was coming up with Kevin. Anyway, great tense scene.

I don't think John or Kevin would have killed under other circumstances. John killed Danny because of the constant threats to his wife & kids, as well as to his mom, Kevin, Meg and the inn. I'm not saying Danny should have been killed, but he had to be stopped. And it was pretty clear he was never going to stop, ever. It wasn't just the constant threats & torment.... he was menacing and quite scary.  He knew exactly where to inflict pain... just enough to cause maximum damage to his intended victim, but not enough for anyone else to see or witness what he was doing.  ***Example: taking Janie out on the boat and giving her the neckless. He looked like the cool uncle to her, but scared John half to death... which is what he intended***  And at the same time, he made himself look like the victim.  And to top it off, he was enjoying it with his menacing little laugh. John should have walked away, but I can see why he snapped.

This is a very interesting comment. In fleshing out Danny's backstory, I feel they made the character much more sympathetic. almost whitewashing him. I remember toward the end of S1, I felt tense whenever he was in a scene. He was menacing, out of control (yet in a creepy kind of control as well), a genuine threat. When he took Janey out in the boat, when he came back to the inn after the Red Roof - he was not just a wronged man. He was scary. The further you get away from S1, the more Danny's behavior is forgotten. Not that this excuses killing him, but it skews the picture.

Edited by peggy06
Add quote, edit misspelling
  • Love 4

I fully agree with you. I just wish I could figure out when you made your post. Today is July 20, 2016 and I just finished watching Season 2 today.

But, for some reason, I can't see the month or year of your post. It just shows as being made on Sunday. I suppose I have to assume that means Sunday July 17, 2016. But it makes it very difficult for me to write a reply if I can't tell when you made your post.

I'm guessing it's more than likely some defect in my understanding. I guess it's just been that kind of week.

31 minutes ago, AliShibaz said:

I could figure out when you made your post. Today is July 20, 2016 and I just finished watching Season 2 today.

But, for some reason, I can't see the month or year of your post. It just shows as being made on Sunday. I suppose I have to assume that means Sunday July 17, 2016. But it makes it very difficult for me to write a reply if I can't tell when you made your post.

I'm confused. Serious question. Why does it matter when the previous post was made?

• Love 2
(edited)

I fully agree with you. I just wish I could figure out when you made your post. Today is July 20, 2016 and I just finished watching Season 2 today.

I'm guessing it's more than likely some defect in my understanding. I guess it's just been that kind of week.

AliShibaz, I'm assuming you meant my post, as it's the only one made on Sunday. Yes, that was Sunday, July 17, shortly after I finished Episode 10. I think the board software shows just the day until a week has gone by, then it shows the day and month. So a post from last Sunday just says Sunday. A post less than 24 hours old has a time stamp in hours only.  

Glad we agree, at all events.

Edited by peggy06

I wanted to know when the post was made because I didn't know when the season ended.

It seemed silly to me to post some serious questions and comments about this show if the season ended a long time ago.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Thank you Peggy.

• Love 1

Even if by some miracle Kevin gets away with killing Marco (if he is actually dead), Aguirre (the Sheriff) knew that Eric O'Bannion had info (that's why they got him immunity) so they are still going to get busted even if Marco is not in the picture.

14 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Eric called Marco right after John left so I don't think so, I am guessing that immunity would be too appealing for him.

Good point! Maybe he won't, or maybe finding out that Marco is dead scares him, or he suddenly changes his mind, or has a convenient accident, or....who knows?  I just have a hard time seeing a full season of either the three siblings in jail or following three  trials (or even just one). 

The fact that the election was a season arc plot that didn't get resolved, leads me to believe they were saving it, so that John could start a political career, with a pile of skeletons in his closet.  There's a lot of dramatic tension in something like that.

• Love 1
(edited)

I hope Marco is still alive. I really like his character. 

If they HAD to kill someone off, I wish it would have been John's wife. I really find her boring and useless to the storylines. Maybe she could leave him and take the boring son with her? Leave the feisty daughter behind,  cus she was the only one who showed a sliver of kindness to Nolan. I like the idea of him having his cousin having his back. 

Kevin Kevin Kevin! I detested his character last season,  but warmed up to  him this season a bit. He's just weak sauce..typical baby of the family. All kinds of fucked up. 

Loved the Danny scenes. Always will. I didn't hate him like a lot of people did. I felt sorry for how his life changed when he took the brunt of his sister dying. The parents were the true evil in that family to me. 

I really REALLY love this show. Mad at myself now  that I binged it!

I need more. 

ETA: Kyle Chandler in the scene with his wife! ! Not one word..just pure emotion all over his face!  What a fantastic actor he is!

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 5

Just finished this season...I tried to pace myself!

I have no clue how they will work through some of this crap next year!  I assume the next season & any beyond will just chronicle the continued downfall of the Rayburns.  Danny was a druggie and no good. Sally was an absent parent and is Queen of Denial and Royal Revisionist. Papa Rayburn was a raging a-hole who may have obtained his status from shady biz w/ Gilbert.  John killed his brother, had his siblings help cover it up, tampered with evidence & ran away.  Meg is involved in some shady biz with Gilbert (and the whole covering up murder thing).  Kevin...(sigh) is a colossal loser addict who covered one murder and committed one of his own. And Nolan is an arsonist who could be more dangerous than his dad.  And I thought Thanksgiving with my family was stressful...

If we are going to have major characters die next season, my vote is for Sally to go next.  Yes, even before dim wit Kevin.  She is just so deliberately obtuse in every situation.  I like Sissy Spacek a lot but this character is awful.  Maybe Sally finally tries to repair the shower in Bungalow #3 and gets knocked out by a loose pipe, passes out and drowns in the shower stall.  Or Kevin gets back at her for making him teach himself how to ride a bike and bleed all over the driveway.

• Love 3

I think all the stuff with bungalow 3 is set up for next season.  My guess is that there's a body there, and that's how the Rayburns got that property.  Gillbert probably had something to do with it and that's the reason old daddy Rayburn broke it off with him and Sally doesn't like him.

We need new skeletons in the Rayburns' proverbial closets to keep the tension level up, and you just don't hire Beau Bridges for a single season, do you?

• Love 2
On 6/1/2016 at 3:22 AM, KaleyFirefly said:

Maybe Sally or Robert killed someone and buried them under what is now bungalow 3. It must have some significance, since they kept bringing it up.

Chekhov's plumbing?

I just finished Season 2.   I took an old-school approach: one episode a week.   Honestly, I think that's all my nerves could handle anyway.   Each episode I'm looking at the clock wondering when will this nightmare end?.   Because it is like a nightmare: you kill someone and the more you try to hide it, the more everybody finds out.

Kevin and Meg cutting John loose was sad, but realistic.   That's how people are in the end, everybody for himself, family or not.  

I cheered for Chelsea O'Bannon, a girl who has a shotgun and knows how to use it.   I prayed she'd put down Leguizamo but it was not to be.

Consolation price: righteous asshole Marco goes down.   Is there NO OTHER CRIME in the Keys?   Is the Rayburn case all they have on their plate?   Marco spends all his time at work on the Rayburn case, and apparently all his off time too.

Mr. Gilbert will need to sign off on all future hires.  Oh, and Kevin?  You must wear the ribbon.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 6
On 8/15/2016 at 0:27 AM, millennium said:

I cheered for Chelsea O'Bannon, a girl who has a shotgun and knows how to use it.   I prayed she'd put down Leguizamo but it was not to be

I was sooo hoping that would happen. If I never see him again that's fine with me.

Consolation price: righteous asshole Marco goes down.

Yes! Yes!

• Love 2
On 6/1/2016 at 0:34 PM, Kerrey92 said:

I had an issue with "deranged Kevin" and the way Marco was acting.  The writing seemed thin on this part to me.  I can where Kevin could be pushed over the edge to take Marco down, out of frustration, fear, and pent up tension from the past months of covering up Danny's murder.   But to me, the scene didn't lend itself to Kevin taking that step and it seemed a little out of left field.    

Well, the fact that O'Bannon called WHILE Kevin was right there and Marco was about to walk out the door that very minute to meet him really turned up the heat for Kevin. He had absolutely no time whatsoever to consider what to do.  He absolutely acted in the heat of the moment.

And on a shallower note, does it bug anyone else that Diana's accent is all over the place? I hear her Aussie accent all the time. I wish they made her character Australian and just let her talk normally. And the absolute WORST for me is whenever she says "Danny" because it sounds exactly like Olivia Newton John in Grease. LOL

• Love 7

My question about Bungalow 3 is this:  The inn, and more than likely Bungalow 3, has been in existence since before any of the kids were born, right?  So all of a sudden the plumbing doesn't work, and we are speculating about a body buried, or drugs buried....but wouldn't that have been causing problems for the last 40+ years?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

So all of a sudden the plumbing doesn't work, and we are speculating about a body buried, or drugs buried....but wouldn't that have been causing problems for the last 40+ years?

Personally I'm not speculating a body, but, I guess we dont know.   But there is a chance that drugs are buried there and Sally knew about Danny all along.

When they do flashbacks now, they can make up anything they want. Look how many things were added to Season 2 that we never learned about in Season 1.

15 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

My question about Bungalow 3 is this:  The inn, and more than likely Bungalow 3, has been in existence since before any of the kids were born, right?  So all of a sudden the plumbing doesn't work, and we are speculating about a body buried, or drugs buried....but wouldn't that have been causing problems for the last 40+ years?

Maybe, or maybe not.  Land shifts, bodies decompose, vermin gets in... there are many things that can make a construction issue arise years after the cause of the issue happened.  That said, they did say that the plumbing in B3 was acting up again, so this was not the first time they had issues with it.

The reason I'm speculating about something fishy going on is because of what they have shown us.

First, there's the fact that the plumbing problem gets mentioned at all.  It's a hotel, one would presume there are all kinds of maintenance issues that management deals with on a daily basis (electrical outlets, window latches, not enough hot water, water temperature, water pressure, AC units, etc.); so, why does the audience need to know about this specific issue in this specific bungalow? It looks like a classic Chekhov's gun (you introduce it in the first act and fire it in the third act).

Second, there's the number of times the issue was mentioned.  I counted at least three times, and in different episodes.  If the audience needs to be reminded of it so many times, it's because something important is going on there.

Third, there's the fact that what appears to be a small issue has not been resolved quickly.  Again, it's a hotel, and one the family has owned for the past 30-40 years, one would think they have the hang of it and a small plumbing problem would be swiftly dealt with.  In this case, Sally actually chooses to move the guests to another bungalow.

Fourth, there is Sally's scene in the shower of Bungalow 3.  Why is she trying to fix it? Doesn't she have a plumber for that? But, more importantly, why did she break down like that in B3's shower?  Isn't it a very big overreaction to a simple plumbing problem?

Combine those reasons with the recent introduction of Gillbert, a shady character who was involved in business deals with daddy Rayburn around the time the family acquired the property (something specifically mentioned by Gillbert), and Sally's despise for the guy and it's not illogical to theorize that something "bad" happened during the original sale, that Gillbert was involved, and that whatever happened then is resurfacing now.

Then consider that murder and drug trafficking seem to be the crimes of choice for the Rayburns, and you get yourself a body or drugs buried under Bungalow 3.

• Love 1

During all of the problems with #3,,,why do you think they showed Sally saying she would call the plumber, but she didnt. The 2nd time the guest complained she actually called the plumber and argued with him that she had already called him once, but she hadnt called him. So, she said fix it. But, we never saw anyone come to fix it.

That whole sequence had me confused. Did she really know that she never called him? Did she think she really did call him? Was it all crap since no one came to fix anything?

Is there anything we should glean from Eve being the girl working at the pharmacy that Danny and Ozzy robbed?  Was she a part of the robbery or did they get her to go along with them after the fact?  I'm pretty sure it was Eve; I distinctly recall her bad hair/wig in that scene.

On 9/6/2016 at 9:56 AM, Auntie Anxiety said:

Is there anything we should glean from Eve being the girl working at the pharmacy that Danny and Ozzy robbed?  Was she a part of the robbery or did they get her to go along with them after the fact?  I'm pretty sure it was Eve; I distinctly recall her bad hair/wig in that scene.

Eve was very definitely the girl working in the drug store. I haven't figured out either, or at least the show doesn't seem to have told us, whether she was an accomplice or somehow started seeing Danny after.

• Love 1

I was spoiled on Marco's death, and Kevin doing something to him, thanks to a comment on the actor's instagram the other night. 

I didn't want him to die, but I actually felt bad for Kevin. He was trying to do the right thing, and Marco had his proof right there. Instead, he decided to be an ass to a really scared Kevin. 

Excellent acting, but it was sad seeing John go from good cop, to manipulative politician - as he got IA involved with Marco, and lied to him, brought up what he'd done, etc. I hated Meg and Kevin turning on him, but it seems like they made Danny look a bit more likable this season, where as last year, he was menacing, kind of kidnapped John's daughter, all to terrify her parents (and it didn't seem like he really liked his niece at all - I bought that he might hurt her). He also looked to be involved in human trafficking, with the girls on the boat. Suddenly, this year, we get Danny trying to do his best for his son, and seeing more of what an ass his father was. 

Well I almost quit halfway through, but I'm glad I stuck it out. The last 3 or 4 episodes of S2 were fantastic, and they really make me look forward to a third and final season. When the first season ended I thought it should have been one and done.

Highlights: Kyle Chandler. Fucking amazing. And also Leguizamo was totally fantastic, he has that greasy creep character down pat. Terrific acting all around in this show. The more you loathe a character (e.g. Kevin) the more you can give the actor credit for their performance.

Honestly no clue what the writers will do with the last season.

• Love 4
On 6/17/2016 at 10:31 PM, ladders said:

Speculation: I can't shake the offhand thought that we could learn Nolan is not really Danny's son. I can't recall evidence to disprove this theory. All his fault?

I may have missed this in another thread, but my money is on the fact that Nolan is Robert's son - and the brother of Danny, Kevin, John and Meg.  Basing that on the fact that Nolan told Sally he'd met Robert once, on Father's Day...and that day Eve and Danny had a huge blowout fight and didn't speak for two years.  And that's also why Robert was sending Eve money - it was hush money.  Am I way off base?

Kyle Chandler is riveting.  I sometimes forget to breathe when he's onscreen.

I'm suspending all belief for this show.  I love it, and it can take me wherever it wants.  Sad that there's only one more season, but I binge-watched both seasons earlier this year and I'm now watching them one at a time, savoring each episode like a fine wine.  In fact, I usually treat myself to a glass of fine wine while watching.  Everyone on the show drinks, I might as well join them.

My only (minor) issue is that I watched Jacinda Barrett (Diana) on the Real World and it bugs me how her Australian accent keeps popping into her dialogue.

Bungalow 3...what secret are you hiding?? 

Bring on Season 3!

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 4

Can't remember which episode, but when Eve is at the resort the first time she overhears a guest regetering. Later she calls that bungalo and scams him into giving her his credit card number. When is that going to come back and bite her in the ass or did I completely misread a scene?

• Love 1

What if the grandson turns out to be not a grandson but Robert's actual son?

Does everyone in the Keys dress sloppy all the time with uncombed hair and neck beards? Maybe it's just that all these characters are sleezy.

umm...but I can't help it. I love Kyle Chandler. Coach Taylor just can't be bad.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ina123 said:

What if the grandson turns out to be not a grandson but Robert's actual son?

Does everyone in the Keys dress sloppy all the time with uncombed hair and neck beards? Maybe it's just that all these characters are sleezy.

umm...but I can't help it. I love Kyle Chandler. Coach Taylor just can't be bad.

Clear eyes, full hearts....

• Love 3