Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Part 23

In the season finale, Marco scrambles to get Eric immunity. Nolan recalls meeting Robert. Meg and Kevin turn against John, who pursues the one man who can alter his fate.

(edited)

I thought that this series would have wrapped up this season. Am I to believe that there will be a season 3? So many loose ends.

What is smarmy Gilbert really up to? I thought that he was going to proposition Meg, but he seems to have other things up his sleeve. 

Where is John going? Again, I thought he was going to drive into a wall or over a cliff, but he is just going..

And I can't believe that Kevin, who almost had things under control, went and killed Marco! And he wasn't even drunk or coked up! Wait until Meg finds out! And what will happen with his marina? 

Will Ozzy leave town or stick around to cause more damage, now that Eve and Nolan have finally landed in clover? I developed a lot of sympathy for that kid and even his hapless mother over the past few episodes. I hate to see their lives screwed up any further. 

One other rather major thing. When John has his gun in Eric's face, there is a click. My closed caption says that he "cocks" the pistol. But then he is unable to shoot a man in cold blood, and lowers the gun in disgust and walks out. However, the recapper at EW says that he fires the pistol, but it isn't loaded. Now these are two very different scenarios. What did you all see and/or hear in that scene? Did John fire the pistol or not? 

I can't believe the this was the finale! Argh!

Edited by Jodithgrace
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

However, the recapper at EW says that he fires the pistol, but it isn't loaded. Now these are two very different scenarios. What did you all see and/or hear in that scene? Did John fire the pistol or not? 

I heard him cock the pistol, not shoot it.  I am not familiar with guns though, just what I see on TV.  When he had the gun pointed at O'Bannon, I totally thought he should just skip town.  His brother and sister are not on his side anymore and his wife kicked him out.  And sure enough, he just drives!  Just like Danny.

Are all these siblings going to end up murderers?  Danny (kind of) kills Sarah, John kills Danny and now Kevin kills Marco.  Who is Kevin going to call to help him?  Surely not Meg.  Maybe he'll call Beau Bridges.

• Love 5

Just finished binge watching both seasons. I love this show. Danny deserved to die, Kevin doesn't deserve much more.

Gilbert(Beau Bridges) must be the ultimate head of the drug/human smuggling group.  His underling is the guy Lowrey was afraid of.  I guess he wants the marina to make it easy to unload his cargo.

I wish they'd just keep filming and releasing seasons right after each other.  

• Love 15

I didn't see or hear John fire the gun, just the "click" of cocking it.

Yep, Beau Bridges is the head of it, on this side of it, anyway.  I remember something interesting he said while speaking to one of the Rayburn kids (can't remember who was there), he said something like "Your daddy and I had the same integrity and same drive when we were both just starting out here back in the day".  Meg took that to mean that he and her father were friends/friendly.  The mom told her otherwise.  Apparently they were both shrewd businessmen back in the day who got "rich" via criminal means.  Can't wait to find out how they each made their fortunes....

And does anyone else that someone or some thing is buried under bungalow #3??? LOL  All the to-do about the shower, and then Sissy Spacek says something like "I remember the day they laid the pipes for that bungalow".   And her crying hysterically when she went in there and the shower was working.  It was probably cries of relief.  I do not think she wants bungalow #3 dug up or messed with in any way!

And Kevin!  Yikes!  I also wonder who he is going to turn to for help.

Anyone else love the scenes with "Danny" talking to John?  It's such a cool way to show the level of effect Danny has had on John's psyche.   I wonder where "they" are going....?  I wonder/hope they've already filmed Season 3, since Season 2 was only 10 episodes. 

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

One other rather major thing. When John has his gun in Eric's face, there is a click. My closed caption says that he "cocks" the pistol. But then he is unable to shoot a man in cold blood, and lowers the gun in disgust and walks out. However, the recapper at EW says that he fires the pistol, but it isn't loaded. Now these are two very different scenarios. What did you all see and/or hear in that scene? Did John fire the pistol or not? 

I can't believe the this was the finale! Argh!

I don't think that recapper did a very good job in general. I i disagreed with several of her statements. I also thought the pistol was cocked. John wasn't that kind of killer...but turns out Kevin was!  :O

(Wish it was being recapped here!)

I too was unspoiled and surprised by the cliffhanger. This season was claustrophobic and intense, but I should be ready for another one in a year or so!

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I thought he cocked the gun. It didn't sound like he pulled the trigger to me. But I don't really have any experience with guns.

3 hours ago, zentropa said:

I don't think that recapper did a very good job in general. I i disagreed with several of her statements. I also thought the pistol was cocked. John wasn't that kind of killer...but turns out Kevin was!  :O

I don't think John or Kevin would have killed under other circumstances. John killed Danny because of the constant threats to his wife & kids, as well as to his mom, Kevin, Meg and the inn. I'm not saying Danny should have been killed, but he had to be stopped. And it was pretty clear he was never going to stop, ever. It wasn't just the constant threats & torment.... he was menacing and quite scary.  He knew exactly where to inflict pain... just enough to cause maximum damage to his intended victim, but not enough for anyone else to see or witness what he was doing.  ***Example: taking Janie out on the boat and giving her the neckless. He looked like the cool uncle to her, but scared John half to death... which is what he intended***  And at the same time, he made himself look like the victim.  And to top it off, he was enjoying it with his menacing little laugh. John should have walked away, but I can see why he snapped.

The same with Kevin. He's a screw up, but he wouldn't normally be a killer. He was half crazy with fear and thought he could save himself and Meg if he told Marco the truth. But instead Marco told him that all three of them would be going to prison. This pushed an already deranged Kevin over the edge. 

I can't stress enough that I don't believe either men should have died.  Both men were killed in the heat of the moment out of fear and desperation. I'm not sure how I would act after months of this sort of stress and feeling like my family was in danger all the time.

And Sally is an idiot! Even after Danny admitted that he planted the drugs on the property so that the DEA would find it,  Sally was like "oh he's acting out a little". She was angry that her kids wouldn't tell her what was going on, but when they did, she didn't believe them or told them they were exaggerating. She made me scream out loud with frustration. 

I love this show, but i feel like I need a year to recover from the stress of watching it.

• Love 13

Anyone else love the scenes with "Danny" talking to John?  It's such a cool way to show the level of effect Danny has had on John's psyche.   I wonder where "they" are going....?  I wonder/hope they've already filmed Season 3, since Season 2 was only 10 episodes. 

John killed Danny and now sees Danny and talks to him. One of the characters said Danny talked to "Sarah" also.  I guess after someone kills you, you haunt them.  Guess Marco will haunt Kevin next season.

• Love 8

And does anyone else that someone or some thing is buried under bungalow #3??? LOL  All the to-do about the shower, and then Sissy Spacek says something like "I remember the day they laid the pipes for that bungalow".   And her crying hysterically when she went in there and the shower was working.  It was probably cries of relief.  I do not think she wants bungalow #3 dug up or messed with in any way!

Im really curious about bungalow 3 .  Does anyone have any ideas about what the secret might be?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Im really curious about bungalow 3 .  Does anyone have any ideas about what the secret might be?

Maybe Sally or Robert killed someone and buried them under what is now bungalow 3. It must have some significance, since they kept bringing it up.

• Love 3
On 5/31/2016 at 4:30 AM, HollyG said:

But instead Marco told him that all three of them would be going to prison. This pushed an already deranged Kevin over the edge. 

I had an issue with "deranged Kevin" and the way Marco was acting.  The writing seemed thin on this part to me.  I can where Kevin could be pushed over the edge to take Marco down, out of frustration, fear, and pent up tension from the past months of covering up Danny's murder.   But to me, the scene didn't lend itself to Kevin taking that step and it seemed a little out of left field.  

This season was equally as fantastic to me.  The descent of each of the Rayburns involved in Danny's death was interesting to watch with John falling the farthest.  

• Love 7

During the episode I was doing a tally of people who knew it was John, it was too many people I thought something had to happen to kill the people who knew. I didn't expect Kevin soberly to murder a cop. Oh Kevin, you're so beyond innocent now. 

I guess he'll need help covering and John's gone. I hope John actually doesn't help him. Or help him with the obviously illegal things happening at his own business with his new partner that he doesn't seem to be caring or catching onto. 

With all the references to the shower and bungalow 3 I kept thinking Danny buried drugs or money there. Perhaps it goes further back, back to how the family got that expensive water front land. We know it was shady from Gilbert.

• Love 5

I really didn't think it would end well for Marco.  I expected either Kevin would walk into the house and find Marco dead.  Or Kevin would kill him.  I just expected Marco to die.

• Love 4

Yeah, Marco really did have to go after he figured out the truth about John.  From a plot perspective, I mean.  He was a "good guy" right up until we found out about his cover-up of Aguirre's domestic abuse.  There aren't many characters left that don't have some dirt on them.  

I have no idea how Kevin is going to keep it together now.  He was falling apart at the seams when he was an accessory after the fact of Danny's murder and now he's a murderer himself!  The more I think about it I think he's definitely going to call John, their falling out notwithstanding.  Whether John takes the call or not is the question.

• Love 5

I don't know how a recapper got that John fired the pistol. My take on the whole scene was John had a bit of a "fuck it!!!!"/reality check. Because really, as Artsda said, there are quite a few people that know John killed Danny. After the fight, it's entirely possible Kevin and Meg would try to cut deals to minimize their penalties, O'Bannon knows, Marco knows . . . I figure John realized that if he killed O'Bannon that he stood absolutely no chance at all. So now he's pulling a Danny and running.

Other things: it was obvious when Beau Bridges bought the marina that he was up to Bad Things. I'm wondering what it has to do with Ozzy (and I don't like him; he's super creepy), but I suspect that if there's a season three, it's going to play a significant role in the plot, particularly with his past with Pa Rayburn and perhaps even Bungalow Three.

Technically, Meg and Kevin were right when they confronted John - they didn't kill Danny - but wow, were they all engaging in some revisionist history. They were all truthful in what they were saying, but it's funny how each of them abdicated any responsibility for what they did.

On 6/1/2016 at 11:34 AM, Kerrey92 said:

I had an issue with "deranged Kevin" and the way Marco was acting.  The writing seemed thin on this part to me.  I can where Kevin could be pushed over the edge to take Marco down, out of frustration, fear, and pent up tension from the past months of covering up Danny's murder.   But to me, the scene didn't lend itself to Kevin taking that step and it seemed a little out of left field.  

Well, Kevin is not the brightest bulb on the tree and he's made a practice of doing dumb shit. I remember thinking early in the season what a weak loser he is; he just doesn't/can't cope with adversity. And when he finally gets his life together - he's sober, he's out from under the marina and he's got the family situation he's been hungering for - Marco's going to take it away from him (never mind that Kevin did this to himself - the Rayburns are really really good at denial). So I can definitely see him panicking and clobbering Marco. But he's totally screwed now.

Which leads me to wonder if there will be a Season 3. In a way, I kind of hope not because this ended in such a way that you know that the once-great Rayburn family, the fabric of the county for 50 years, is exposed for what it is. I don't think they can drag out John on the run and Kevin bumbling his way around avoiding getting found out for Marco's murder into a compelling season. Perhaps they can delve deeper into Beau Bridges and Bungalow Three but I don't think it will be nearly as compelling. This was a great study of a stalwart family falling apart, which to me, is the heart of the show.

And I have to give props to the acting and writing on this. Early in the season I wondered why I was watching because so many characters seemed awful for a variety of reasons (entitled, pride, incompetent, clueless . . . you name it). I pretty much loathed all of the Rayburns. I still don't like them, but I was surprised to find myself actually feeling bad for them at various points towards the end of the season. I know it's wrong, but I felt bad for John when Meg and Kevin abandoned him. I felt bad for Kevin when he realized that his life was going down the toilet because of his role in the murder. I came around a bit on Sally when she opened up to Nolan and Eve. Hell, I even came around to Eve. I think it's a great credit to the writing/storytelling and the actors that they were able to bring such depth to people I found so very unlikable. And it was done in a fairly organic way that didn't seem forced for the plot, which is often the case - often, characters don't grow or evolve so much as transform suddenly to meet a plot point.

Finally, Nolan. Poor guy has the weight of the world on his young shoulders. If this show continues with him on it, I want to see him win. I think I need to see him win.

• Love 15

My take on bungalow 3 was that the shower remained faulty and therefore, it was not customer worthy, but Sally could use it to house Eve and Nolan. 

I think I am one of few who actually feels bad for John. I keep thinking, no good deed goes unpunished. His whole family has taken advantage of him at some time or another in their lives. He can't even get his wife and daughter to stand by him. 

Kevin is the worst. Always acting on impulse. Gah, can't stand him and Meg was a disappointment too. 

John Leguizamo plays sleazy well.  A pure sociopath.  He makes my skin crawl  

• Love 11

John Leguizamo plays sleazy and creepy so convincingly, yet part of me will always see him as a stand-up comic from when he was first starting out, and also from when he played a drag queen in "To Wong Foo, Thanks for everything, Julie Newmar".  lol

I agree that Nolan needs to "win" at the end of this all, and turn out good.

• Love 6
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 5:36 PM, FanOfTheFans said:

My take on bungalow 3 was that the shower remained faulty and therefore, it was not customer worthy, but Sally could use it to house Eve and Nolan.

Well , I don't think she wanted to lose customers for that reason. I think there is a lot more to it than that.

Edited by MsJamieDornan
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Well , I don't think she wanted to lose customers for that reason. I think there is a lot more to it than that.

You may very well be right. The reason I thought that was because it let Eve and Nolan accept the generosity of Sally but at the same time allows them some privacy to advance plot points. If they were in the main house, they would have to be more careful with the shadiness. But yeah, maybe there is a body buried down there or something nefarious.  This show always surprises me, that's for sure.  And just when John gets through one problem and you think he can breathe again, another fire pops up.  I feel like another poster who said it has been exhausting to watch.  Good but exhausting.  

One interesting plot point was the comment that Beau Bridge's character made about Sam Shepherd's character being able to buy the Inn on a military salary.  There is a story there, no doubt. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, FanOfTheFans said:

One interesting plot point was the comment that Beau Bridge's character made about Sam Shepherd's character being able to buy the Inn on a military salary.  There is a story there, no doubt. 

I think there's definitely a story there and I wonder if it is tied in with Bungalow Three. I know I've been a bit jokey about the bungalow, but (just spitballing here), I wonder if perhaps they built the bungalows as they could afford to add them. It could be an interesting story to see where that money came from and what kind of nefarious business Pa Rayburn was up to to buy the inn and turn it into the resort it became. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that Pa Rayburn was trafficking drugs or humans (that's some prime real estate for that business) and something happened while they were building Bungalow Three, resulting in a body/drugs/weapons underneath it. Of course, it may just be bad plumbing, which Sally forgot to have tended to and then when the second round of guests (rightfully) bitched about the bad shower, she just broke down under the stress of everything when she got doused by the shower. I don't know if the references to that specific bungalow are a lead to a future plot or a way for Sally to have a bit of a dramatic breakdown.

Where do they go with the Rayburn kids now? I don't know that there's a storyline of John running from the law and Kevin trying not to get caught for killing Marco.

• Love 5

They must be confident enough in a renewal, since they left a bunch of questions unanswered this time.  In comparison, the first season mainly wrapped the main stuff up, and just left a few nuggets at the very end, in case they got renewed.

So, yeah.  Baring a swerve, Kevin just killed Marco after he knew there was no way Marco was going to offer them a deal.  I guess he gets to join John in the Murderous Rayburn Club.  I guess if we do get a third season, that one will end with Meg killing someone.  What a great family!

Speaking of family, the scene of all three siblings yelling at each other was perfect in showing these horrible people off.  You've got John, tossing blame everywhere and acting like murder was the only option on the table.  And then there is Meg and Kevin acting like they were completely innocent in everything and are totally not screw-ups, who did need John to carry their sorry asses several times.  This trio really is perfect for one another!

I guess John's campaign is going to keep going?  I wonder if Geary will continue to be a threat, even with Marco out of the picture.

So, Gilbert's got the tapes?!  I'm guessing he was Lowry's boss this entire time.  And I'm guessing the reason Ozzy was being escorted away by gunpoint, is setting him up to join Gilbert's crew.

Will Sally finally learn the truth?!

They managed to get Robert back for a flashback, which was kind of cool, even if I'm reminded what an utter dick he was.

Not sure which season I preferred, but I enjoyed both, and it is impressive in this case, since Danny was understandably in a reduced role this season.  But I find the rest of these characters compelling (if awful), and the performances fantastic enough (especially Kyle Chandler), to be more then watchable.  Hopefully this will continue on.

• Love 7

I'll be back with more comments, but yes I think Bungalow 3 deserves to be listed in the credits by now. I figured it just kept getting referenced for continuity's sake, but maybe y'all are onto something. 

John is the stereotypical middle-child "fixer." I thought they played out their roles in the family very well. 

• Love 2

I spent the first 23 years of my life driving back and forth from our house in Miami to our condo in the Keys, so I was curious what the road sign was that was shown in the last few seconds of the show - when John is driving away with "Danny". I froze the frame, and it looks like the sign said "Gilberts Island Resort", but I didn't have my glasses and it was not very clear. So John could be headed to visit Ray Gilbert? Did anybody else catch this, or am I seeing things?

• Love 2

As to whether there will be a season 3, the producers have said they have this series mapped out for SIX seasons.  I'm certain we'll have at least one more.  

Now all 3 of the Rayburn men are killers.  Danny killed the guy in the motel room, John killed Danny and Kevin killed Marco.  Meg needs to kill somebody to make a clean sweep.  

I believe Sally is hiding a big secret.  Maybe she hastened Daddy Ray's death on the beach when they were alone, particularly if she learned he was trying to pay her beloved Danny to leave.  I also wonder if Danny was a Rayburn.  It sounds like Sally may have been pregnant when Daddy Ray sent for her and they married.  As she told Danny, she liked to hang around the naval base and drink and smoke weed with the sailors.  Alternatively, maybe Gilbert was Danny's father.  There's something going on with Sally.

With the exception of Nolan, all the Rayburns are extremely unlikable.  They look and act guilty 24/7. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, uoflfan said:

There's something going on with Sally

Yes, I agree. But, I am just not sure what it is yet. My mind is all over with the Bungalow 3 stuff. Some very tame and some very creepy.Hmmm

• Love 1
(edited)

One thing I am confused about. Meg just left Kevin at Marco's place as she drive home to tell mom about John? Did she expect Marco to give Kevin a warm welcome and suggest he stay the night?

i don't know what to make of Bridges having the tape. Pretty soon that tape will probably mean nothing, unless Marco's death puts the whole investigation back to square 1. But I feel like Bridges actually wants to help John because he wants him to get Sheriff and then try to be a puppeteer. Or he is trying to completely screw the Rayburn family based on his past fights with daddy Rayburn (best strategy for this though is just hang back and let them burn it down themselves)

I don't know how Ozzy plays into this yet. 

Edited by knaankos
  • Love 1
(edited)
On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 4:07 PM, MsJamieDornan said:

But do we know that Marco is really dead???? lol

Well, Kevin is pretty incompetent.

He better not be that incompetent enough to clean his prints off the damn murder weapon! Don't be dropping that dolphin statue on the ground without cleaning it you nitwit!  Man, if Kevin wasn't effed up before.....!

When you see that bottle of booze on Marco's table and Kevin out of focus in the background, I thought for sure  Kevin was going to grab it off camera then we'd him him see pop into the picture  behind  Marco and whack him in the head with it. Well, I was kind of close!

After that pummeling Kevin gave him, he shouldn't be alive, but I'm not 100% sure Marco is dead. Maybe next season they'll have him clinging to life,in a coma, brain dead...or the likes.    Since these are the same creators of Damages, it brought to mind a similar death in that show too with how Marco died.

I also though John was going to drive his car off the bridge or something bad like that, because he just had enough at this point.

Does everyone think Meg is going to really spill the beans to Sally?  I'm gonna say no. Something is going to prevent her from doing it like a phone call from a babbling Kevin,or maybe she'll start to tell her,then change her mind.

Should be an interesting third season. And I hope they pick up right where they left off! 

Edited by Valny
  • Love 7

Great season and looking forward to the next. Want to know more about the Gilbert/old man Rayburn connection and what Gilbert does. Also it seemed like Nolan had more to say than he was allowed, and we don't know what Diana was calling John to say.

Eve is still around and this character must have more relevance. Great performance. Three great additions to the cast, Andrea Riseborough, Beau Bridges and John Leguizamo all had characters surviving. What John did getting Chelsea to witness against Ozzy still needs resolution.

And, I expect more from Sheriff Aguirre, who will probably take the investigation. Since O'Bannon was saying he would only talk "now or never", what evidence is left to incriminate John? Aguirre will probably be the principal investigating Marco's bludgeoning.

• Love 1

I find they often film scenes from an angle that makes me think they are being watched.  Always the long shots from behind the trees or something similar.  I keep waiting to see someone spying on the people.  But it just seems to be their way of filming the scenes.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, LakeGal said:

I find they often film scenes from an angle that makes me think they are being watched.  Always the long shots from behind the trees or something similar.  I keep waiting to see someone spying on the people.  But it just seems to be their way of filming the scenes.

Yes !  I'm always trying to think ahead and decide who is watching. But most of the time, its no one.

On 6/7/2016 at 11:28 AM, brewgirl said:

I spent the first 23 years of my life driving back and forth from our house in Miami to our condo in the Keys, so I was curious what the road sign was that was shown in the last few seconds of the show - when John is driving away with "Danny". I froze the frame, and it looks like the sign said "Gilberts Island Resort", but I didn't have my glasses and it was not very clear. So John could be headed to visit Ray Gilbert? Did anybody else catch this, or am I seeing things?

I thought the sign said "Now Leaving the Keys"?

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 10:28 AM, brewgirl said:

I spent the first 23 years of my life driving back and forth from our house in Miami to our condo in the Keys

Rub it in, why don't you???  I am very jealous, I would love to live in the Keys.  Miami, not so much, but the Keys looks so gorgeous.

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 8:42 PM, uoflfan said:

As to whether there will be a season 3, the producers have said they have this series mapped out for SIX seasons.  I'm certain we'll have at least one more.  

Now all 3 of the Rayburn men are killers.  Danny killed the guy in the motel room, John killed Danny and Kevin killed Marco.  Meg needs to kill somebody to make a clean sweep.  

With the exception of Nolan, all the Rayburns are extremely unlikable.  They look and act guilty 24/7. 

Danny didn't kill the guy, O'Bannon did - remember, Danny was at the window, watching John.  I think we were led to believe he did, since he had been holding the shell earlier, but didn't they show O'Bannon standing over the body right after it happened? 

The characters are all so unlikeable, you are so right.  Although I go back and forth between hating them and liking them, rooting for them.  I hated Kevin all last season, and then this season, I loved him, felt bad for him and really wanted him to be happy with Belle and the baby.

Sometimes I forget who I am rooting for, or why.  Did I want John to get away with murder?  I guess at first I did - I would get upset when Marco would dig.  But then I decided that I wanted him to get caught! 

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 4:33 PM, LakeGal said:

I really love how they do that.  I feel like it adds to the tension.  Whoever does the cinematography and the sound deserve some major awards.  I feel like I am there, I hear the water and the boats and I can actually feel the heavy, humid air and smell the ocean. 

This show is just SO good.  It is so weird, I had not heard about it until my boss mentioned it to me.  I feel like there wasn't any advertising, or promotion.  I know that Netflix (which makes $6.8 BILLION a year) has the money to make these types of shows, so I hope this runs the full six seasons the producers want.

• Love 7
(edited)
On June 14, 2016 at 10:41 PM, Mama No Life said:

That's what I thought too.

NEVER have I hated two characters more than I hated Kevin and Meg on that beach road, turning all of this on John. 

Drive to me John....I'll hide you.

and because of that I LOVED when Marco flatly rejected Kevin's desperate begging. But them of course that gets him killed, had he dialed back the gloating a bit Kevin may not have snapped like that. 

Now next season it'll be fascinating to see what happens with that. Will Kevin hide the murder and then have to have Meg help him or will Meg turn on Kevin? Will Kevin go back to John and beg to protect him? Will each of the Rayburn kids be entirely on their own?

Edited by knaankos
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, knaankos said:

Now next season it'll be fascinating to see what happens with that. Will Kevin hide the murder and then have to have Meg help him or will Meg turn on Kevin? Will Kevin go back to John and beg to protect him? Will each of the Rayburn kids be entirely on their own?

Interesting thought. I think they have set everyone against each other. If Kevin is able to cover up the murder, who gets blamed? Is there a long investigation? Does Meg find out? It seems like John is "safe" given the alibi he established being out of town, but he will now need to choose what to do about dead Marco. 

Speculation: I can't shake the offhand thought that we could learn Nolan is not really Danny's son. I can't recall evidence to disprove this theory. All his fault?

1. If Marco's not dead( which I doubt ) he had better be in a coma or have amnesia because if not the Rayburns are finished. 

I figured Ozzy was being lead off to his death because he was interfering in Beau Bridges' plan for John to be sheriff.

It is amazing how unlike able Eve was in the beginning but I kind of like her now and she has a haunting singing voice. 

Sober Kevin was actually halfway likeable........

• Love 2

Is Sam Shepard ok? He looked -- or more accurately, sounded -- like hell.

I can't help but root for John. I couldn't believe how the siblings turned on each other. Actually, it is pretty believable, considering what they're up against, but I felt that way ALL last season—John has been carrying the weight for this family and it is ridiculous.

• Love 7

Sooooo is Meg going to kill someone next season?   She's up.

Kevin, Meg, and John are so unlikable and yet so interesting to watch.  .  When he killed Marco it was surprising and yet if felt earned.  He has been self destructing all season.  Honestly The Rayburn children just keep digging themselves in deeper.  

Of all the Unlikable characters on the show it is ironically Sally I find most unlikeable.  Her inability this season to see that Danny was a danger and her children keeping things from her is in relation to that.  IF she was willing to talk things through with them instead of demanding answers things might have gone better.

• Love 5

This season drew me in as it was exactly like watching the aftermath of a car wreck that you cannot take your eyes off of. Season 1 was really boring and I couldn't get past the first few episodes until recently. Anyway, I think Kyle Chandler (John) is such a good actor that conveys so much emotion in his face, and he deserves an Emmy for this season. Kevin literally made me want to throw something at the screen everytime he fucks something up by confessing to someone he shouldn't. John Leguizamo is another standout because he makes his character so vile and unlikeable. Wonder where they are taking the characters next season. I am guessing probably something to do with Roy Gilbett blackmailing the 3 siblings and forcing them to help him run drugs or something like that.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/17/2016 at 1:45 PM, heatherchandler said:

I really love how they do that.  I feel like it adds to the tension.  Whoever does the cinematography and the sound deserve some major awards.  I feel like I am there, I hear the water and the boats and I can actually feel the heavy, humid air and smell the ocean. 

The show does an extraordinary job of establishing the mood and feel of the Keys. Beautifully evocative. More scenes were filmed at night and indoors - I think - than in S1 reinforcing the darkness/danger that the characters were experiencing.

Can't say that I am surprised by Kevin's explosion and violence. It has been building thru two seasons. Meg should not have let him go into Marco's home alone. The Rayburns generate monsters; its a self-fulfilling prophecy. John attempts to rid the family of Dany's monstrous ways and becomes a monster himself. And now we can add Kevin to the list.

On 6/17/2016 at 3:27 PM, knaankos said:

These are interesting questions. I am intrigued by Meg's apparent start of a confession to Sally. Maybe it is interrupted by a call from Kevin. He needs to get out of Marco's apartment quickly and dispose of the statue but Kevin isn't a quick thinker. Its entirely possible that each of the Rayburn kids will be on their own for a time, trying to protect their own skin. At some point, they have to come back together; this is a show about "family" after all. 

Maybe they drag Sally into their schemes and evil doings. Its unlikely that they could go thru another entire season keeping everything from her. Besides, there is a dark side to Sally that I would like to see on full display.

Needless to day, the stakes just got much higher because a cop has been murdered. This is beyond the scope of anything that the Rayburns can cover up. This may be where Gilbert truly steps in: he offers to clean up their multiple messes in exchange for their souls.

Nolan was an excellent addition to the show. I was skeptical about his introduction last season; looked like he was going to be a "mini Danny." He became a sympathetic character, totally separate from his father.

On 6/7/2016 at 0:52 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Not sure which season I preferred, but I enjoyed both, and it is impressive in this case, since Danny was understandably in a reduced role this season.  But I find the rest of these characters compelling (if awful), and the performances fantastic enough (especially Kyle Chandler), to be more then watchable.  Hopefully this will continue on.

I enjoyed S2 more than S1. As good as Ben Mendelsohn is/was, I often felt that Danny's presence was strangling the story. And I'm sure that was, in part, the intent. This season gave these characters a chance to breathe and expand while maintaining Danny's unsettling specter. He is never far from the heart of this show.

The acting was phenomenal, particularly Kyle Chandler. He can communicate so much emotion without saying a word. I also think that Linda Cardellini was terrific.

Edited by Ellaria Sand
  • Love 7

I think they had to make us feel as desperate about Danny's continued existence as they did.  I find this family so interesting because they talk, they open up, they apologize, and they (appear to) forgive.  And yet, for all that, they still bear grudges, resentments, and abuse each other (and themselves.)  It's fucking fascinating.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Ellaria Sand said:

enjoyed S2 more than S1. As good as Ben Mendelsohn is/was, I often felt that Danny's presence was strangling the story. And I'm sure that was, in part, the intent. This season gave these characters a chance to breathe and expand while maintaining Danny's unsettling specter. He is never far from the heart of this show

I enjoyed Season 2 much more. Season 1 dragged things just a little too long. 

MARCO! I am devastated! I loved him and even though she didn't deserve him, I wanted he and Meg to get back together. Trashing his character with the sheriff conspiracy just so we wouldn't be sad when he died - didn't work for me. I did want the abusive sheriff to go down though. Gah, this series really is noir. It's just sad and sad and sad. The first half of this season got me down and I almost stopped watching - it was 100% tense all the time. The second half brought me in much more because I started to think they might get away with it after Wayne Lowry died. I liked the first season balancing on the edge of respectable family/disturbed secret underbelly. It was a balance of darkness with some humor and lighter moments. This season was harder and I don't know how in a third season how they will be able to bring any hope or lightness to it.

I think Beau Bridges may find a way to keep Kevin out of jail for a moment anyway and under his thumb, which will put John and Kevin in his clutches. John will obviously win the sheriff election; but will have lost his family. I was expecting that to happen a little earlier in the season than it did; I was expecting the callback to Danny's, "I want to see what it would be like for you to be single and on your own" from the first season. I suppose that will happen next season.

I agree with folks who think the season will begin with all three siblings against each other.

I'm not sure what more there is to take away from them.

• Love 3