Type keyword(s) to search

Degrassi Next Class season two discussion (ABC3/Austraila 5/30-6/10, all episodes worldwide Netflix 7/22, SPOILERS)

So.

Degrassi Next Class season two (or 15B if you prefer) is going to premiere in Austraila FIRST like...today. This is the first time this has happened, there's no release date for Canada yet and Netflix has all episodes in July. So just in case you want discuss them when they eventually hit the internet...here's the thread.

• Love 2

So without any prior mention that I can think of, Volleyball is now Shay's big dream? Well, that's Degrassi for you! That little bit in the beginning with the close up on the girls' faces was pretty sweet, and I did like seeing Goldi being one of the girls.

It was mentioned that students were returning from winter break, which I guess would mean January, right? I imagine there's tons of people riding around Toronto with the top down on their convertibles in January. I did like the Hunter and Miles scenes, those two actors play well off each other. I wish we had gotten more focus on the Hunter/Miles stuff and less focus on Miles and the godawful Tristan, as well as Maya and her various whatevers, although, hey welcome back, Peter.

• Love 3
(edited)

So without any prior mention that I can think of, Volleyball is now Shay's big dream? Well, that's Degrassi for you! That little bit in the beginning with the close up on the girls' faces was pretty sweet, and I did like seeing Goldi being one of the girls.

Shay's speech could have also used a reference to the Oomph Chat scandal too, maybe. Like I know she was trying to make it about her for once, and not about Frankie, but dammit, last time Frankie tried her hand at revenge she almost burned the school down (with a Miles assist.) It was nice to see Goldi on the team, but I was kind of surprised that she didn't see how insensitive the prank was. Last season she played as a "You're all problematic" tumblr analog, so I assumed that she would know better.

I'm just imagining the sort of conversations Maya and Peter will have if he becomes her mentor. "And then Zoe started a facerange page with my head photoshopped on naked women's bodies..." "Righteous. She had to photoshop it though? That's lame. Why didn't she just get you drunk and convince you to flash her? I'd have mailed the video to the entire school!" "Wait. What?" "You're right. That's wrong. Maybe just sell it to pervs on the internet. That's how I won one of my high school girlfriends."

But honestly, my first thought when Peter appeared was that Olivia Scriven wants off the show and being in Peter's orbit is the kiss of death for Degrassi ingenues.

It's always nice to see a well done family plot on Degrassi since the show's been so saturated with shipping since Eli/Clare took off, but I find Hunter to be such a loathsome character that I can't get into the story let alone sympathize with him. Maybe Degrassi will surprise me though. At least Miles has told Mama Hollingsworth the truth so adults can be involved.

I hate Ricardo Hoyos for making me like Zig. Zig cheats on his girlfriend, rightfully gets dumped, and instead of atoning for his shitty actions, starts flirting with the new girl and rubbing it in Maya's face. Like I get that Zig's character is 90% cool guy posturing, but damn. He sucks. But then at the window when he was all sheepish "You liked my photo." Damn your attractive face. That said, I'm glad Maya's most likely going to dump him again in another episode, because he deserves it.

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 3

I liked the first two episodes. Hunter getting committed is a great storyline, so that young people see that having a disease like depression is nothing to be ashamed of and you shouldn't be afraid of accepting help.

I kind of liked the Frankie - Rival School storyline, but I think Degrassi could have made more of a difference between racism and ignorance. Obviously what they did was wrong but racism means to discriminate someone of a different race based on the belief that your race is superior and that is something totally different than ignorance, which is a whole different problem. Frankie and the team should apologize for what they did, but them being called racist is a step too far for me. 

Not really interested in Miles and Tristan... don't see them as a good pairing.

Maya and Zig, well.... just don't get your advice from Lola I guess.

• Love 3

I appreciate that Degrassi is exploring other symptoms of depression, and are taking the time for Hunter's therapy outside of school, but there's still something that makes me uneasy about his redemption. I think it's from seeing too many of these mass shooters painted as sympathetic and misunderstood. All we've really seen of Hunter is that he's an internet troll who spews a lot of hateful things. But I'm willing to give this story a chance to learn more about mental health issues, which I think is really important.

Zig has reached Dawson Leery levels of entitlement, and it's really irritating, because I feel like every season Zig has to step up and take responsibility for his actions only to forget about it the next season. I'm still convinced that Zoe will end up pregnant and that will be Zig's wake up call, but for now, I'm totally done with his bull shit.

I just watched episode 3 as well, and while I find the racism story line to be completely frustrating (admit you were wrong and educate yourself, Frankie!) I think Frankie has grown up with the kind of privilege that makes her reaction completely believable. I also appreciate Shay's part of the story and how conflicted she is between the two sides. Reiya Downs talented, and I'm happy to see her get more material instead of the show relying solely on Sara Waisglass to hold up the Grade 10 class.

I couldn't have cared less about the Grade 10s in the first half of the season, but I also really liked Yael's story. Sure there are huge initiatives for women in STEM programs, but it's still difficult to earn respect in the field, and I'm glad she didn't lose her integrity in the process.

As for Tristan and Miles, the actors have a lot of chemistry, so I'm fine with the pairing, but wasn't Miles addicted to prescription meds like a week ago? His yo-yoing between boy scout and spoiled menace is so hard to follow.

• Love 2

Watched episode 4, and I am so confused by Grace's storyline. When she mentioned that she liked Zig last block, I figured she was just trying to reject Zoe by picking the first guy in view. I've never gotten the "admiring my friend from afar" vibe from her and I can't imagine her betraying her friendship with Maya over a dude who's cheated on his last two girlfriends. Still, it was nice to have a plot for her where she didn't know everything.

Free Tiny! I like Lola in small doses, but she was pretty obnoxious this past episode. Like chill, if you and Tiny break up you can download the app again.

Zoe is always compelling.

• Love 1

Finally caught up.

- Good god Frankie, just take the L and move on. At this point, it's more about her saving face than apologizing. She's too upset with being thought of as racist to admit she screwed up royally even if she didn't mean to. This storyline has been pretty good considering Degrassi usually avoids racial topics like the plague but this generation of teens is a lot better about knowing about privilege and more willing to call it out. There's still some hiccups, namely Shay being clueless about the racial aspect at first and Goldi participating in the racist drawing despite her being a feminist and being knowledgeable about privilege and racism (to the point of educating Frankie about it).

- Man, Hunter's actor is intense...no wonder they give him those moments for him to let loose. I do want him to get better though.

- Oh. Hi Peter. Nice to see you.

- So Zoe is gay and not bi. Interesting. I wonder if this was the plan all along, or maybe this is the writers and the TPTB re-doing Paige's storyline except going in the other direction. I wonder if she'll get a girlfriend about season 16, but I would like it if it were Esme...that actress is really good in portraying someone who pushes people's buttons.

- Gosh, I really really dislike Miles/Tristan.

- Gosh, I really really dislike Baaz.

• Love 5
(edited)

Just watched #ThrowbackThursday, which is Degrassi's 500th episode and all I can say is Craig! My reaction basically matched Tristan's. There's just something about his soulful rock star charm that just gets me every time. I was annoyed that they recruited the Stoodz over Downtown Sasquatch for their generations band (I know they couldn't get Jimmy, but I wouldn't have minded seeing Craig, Marco, and Spinner in a scene together again.) On a second note Sav! I will deal with Peter's stupid band if it means Sav can make an appearance again. The only alumni I was meh on seeing again was Mo because I was never into his sense of humor. At least he seems to have freed himself from Marisol, and we can continue to pretend that Whisperhug never happened. Although Mo being there made it weird that Katie and Owen didn't show up since their siblings are still at Degrassi (and Tristan was running the gala) at first I hand waved that Katie was at Stanford, but didn't Mo go to school in California too?

I really liked the scene between Spinner and Frankie, even though Frankie is still being a brat about the whole thing. Spinner has probably had the best redemption arc Degrassi has ever done, so his advice was really genuine. He should go have a chat with all the current characters to knock some sense into them. I can't believe him and Emma are still married.

That was such a fun episode, I wouldn't mind if alumni kept showing up in supporting cameo roles because it's kind of nice to get an adult perspective occasionally and it's better coming from characters we already know rather than parent-extras. I always liked how Joey became Craig's surrogate parent, for example. Too bad Degrassi butchered it's timeline so that the Class of 2006 is technically only 23 instead of pushing 30.

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 4

This was a really good and fun episode. I wish they had gotten some of the DJH/DH cast but it was nice seeing the original TNG cast again and the little updates we had on them. Didn't expect to see Spinner/Emma still be married though. And Craig still has that magnetic attraction to him; Tristan's reaction to him playing guitar was hilarious.

I did think Tiny's suspension was unfair; it was for fighting but the other guy didn't even attend the school, this was a total stranger coming up to him and punching him in the face and him fighting back, how would you punish that? When I read about the protest at the gala; I was concerned that they would treat the matter lightly but Marco tying it into the complete nonsense that is zero-tolerance rules was a smart idea. Zero-tolerance is trash and implemented unfairly, and I liked seeing Lola realize this was more than just her defending her man. I think Lola's speech at the end was a little meta about how the show has handled race; racial topics were pretty much non-existent on the show until the last few years and then Andrea Lewis calling TPTB out on Hazel's treatment probably motivated the writers that they had to address it especially with this generation crying out for more diversity in the media.

And Frankie. God girl, just take your L and move on. Like I understand where she's coming from but most of this is stemming from her refusal to actually listen to the other team and more about how SHE feels as opposed to the rest of the team. I'm glad the writers picked her to be the "face" of the storyline; hopefully some of the white teens are looking at her and themselves and thinking "is this how I am?"

• Love 5
(edited)

I'm completely baffled as to why people were acting like Maya was being an unreasonable brat in #ToMyFutureSelf. Grace suggested Zig join the band, Maya said no, then Grace invited Zig anyway, which was pretty shitty of her. And Maya embarrassed Zig because she won't just forgive him and is still rightfully angry with him? Maybe if we'd actually seen Zig show an iota of remorse instead of him being an entitled douche bag about it at every turn, I'd be more sympathetic of his "trying." I don't understand Grace's motivation either. Is she actually worried about Peter and trying to push Zig back into Maya's orbit to protect her? Or, since they legitimized Grace's crush on Zig, is she being manipulative by bringing Zig around knowing Maya will antagonize him and "hurt his feelings" so she'll be a better alternative. Because that seems so out of character for Grace. I am so confused by this shitty story.

The rest of the episode was great though, I even liked Winston. And also, please, please, please since Peter is a Degrassi alum let it mean he won't be a creep and hook up with Maya. He didn't seem interested at all, but I don't trust this show.

Side note: Did Maya's drawing of Grace look like Jimmy with mascara to anyone else?

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 1

So I guess the fact this about guy/guy sex is the reason the A-Plot wasn't advertised. Tristan was tolerable this episode, I'll give it that.

And Vijay was singing a song by Jude Harrison...so I guess this is confirmation that Instant Star and Degrassi are in the same universe? But then Aubrey and Stacey starred on the show as themsevles? IDK.

Zoe's already been so busy this season with her coming out story and self harm that I figured her being sick in the finale last season was a red herring and that they weren't doing a pregnancy storyline, but then this episode she ominously declares that at least she and Miles used protection when they hooked up. That's a lot of heavy story lines for a character who has already endured a pretty heavy story line.

I thought Maya's faux pas at Peter's birthday party was going to be this season's mortifying moment, but looks like that honor goes to Zig. I had to turn away during most of that, and that was before the stripper twist. Still, I thought Esme was surprisingly good for him, and I thought Ricardo Hoyos was really good in this episode (and his body double.) It was nice to see him address his insecurities and posturing, even though he blamed Maya for the breakup again. Dude, she broke up with you because you cheated on her.

And because it can't be stated enough, please don't pair Maya with Peter. Please.

(edited)

Damn that was some finale. I thought the pacing for this season had been totally off (and it's ridiculous they keep on saying that 8 months have gone by when it's obviously been summer the entire time... although, I guess it's looked like summer the past few seasons, but the episode count made it feel like a lot of time was passing), but as with most seasons of this show, the finale wrapped up enough loose ends and introduced a cliffhanger that has me excited for next season (even though I'm sure it won't play out at all the way I want it to.)

That bus crash looked nasty, I can't believe they're only claiming one student is in critical condition. Of the students on the bus, I think Tiny and Grace are the highest on the death watch list because of the unresolved nature of their relationships with Shay and Zoe. Grace was also spouting a lot of "life is short" cliches, which I know is because of her CF, but I can see them pulling a cruel irony card. Jonah and Tristan are lesser candidates since they have Frankie and Miles worrying about them. I'd say Zig and Maya are probably the safest, since I'm pretty sure they were only on the bus to add some more names to the list of possible victims. I mean I'm not even sure why Maya was going since Zig seemed to have won sole custody of Tiny's friendship. And Zig's only scene was him wondering if it was weird to get on the death bus.

I have seen some speculation based on who's on set for season 3 that

Tristan and Maya are the only characters who haven't been seen on set and that Miles has been filming some heavy scenes suggesting that Tristan dies. And the more I thought about it, all Tristan's character has ever really wanted was to fall in love and have a relationship like everyone else, and he's gotten that with Miles this season, which could be his kiss of death. And, well, Olivia has seemed over the show for awhile now, I wouldn't be surprised if she left, even though I think Maya has plenty of story and is supposed to be the Emma of the show.

That's assuming someone is going to bite it, because they reported someone in critical condition, but I also think they might give someone a permanent injury since I don't recall them having a character with a physical handicap since Jimmy.

Anyway, I'm interested to see how the story plays out.

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 1

Okay, back with my season wrap-up. Overall, Next Class was a good effort. I'm surprised how the writers work better when there aren't that many episodes to work with. I think the seniors graduating last season was the breath of fresh air that the show needed especially since the writers only seemed interested in Clare, Drew, and Eli in the end. Next Class had a better mix of characters (though I do think things are still a little "incestuous" in terms of the hook-up/friends flow chart) and the issues presented this season were timely and all handled well.

Maya and Zig - Maya's plot was what I wanted Clare's plot to be, namely her working on her career and doing this without her boyfriend's interference at every turn. I mean Zig was still there, but it seemed like Maya was really focused on this to the point where Zig couldn't handle it. I also liked her feminist plot, I think that's a good message to send to the girls watching the show.

Zig Zig Zig. I was first initially turned off when the first episode descriptions came out and it appeared that Zig was trying to rape Maya and then would later cheat on her but looking back at season 14 and his behavior this season, it's pretty much expected. He puts WAY too much stock into his relationship to the point where he doesn't have much of a life outside it and when Maya DOES have one, his self-esteem takes a hit. I'm upset that it appears he didn't learn much from his cheating but suppose the bus crash will make him think about it more.

I am happy that they gave them the date rape scenario and the cheating storylines, too often the Degrassi Supercouple don't really deal with things of that nature so I like TPTB throwing big challenges their way.

Zoe - Well, her plot was basically Paige's plot in season 5, except Zoe goes all the way lesbian rather than bi. It doesn't feel forced; unless with Paige and Holly J, Zoe hasn't really gained that self-esteem to feel secure about herself. She still feels kind of closed off emotionally to everyone which is probably why what happened with Grace set her off to do that extremely petty move with Zig. I do want them to explore her home life more come season 16, it seemly extremely messy, just like her mother.

Grace - For the past two seasons, she was a peripheral character so I was happy that she was brought to the foreground and then given some depth. It's the standard "I act all gruff and disinterested to keep people away" act with CF thrown in but the writers and Nikki made it work. The only ? I have is her sleeping with Zoe; I don't think the writers should've taken it there, it just seems strange unless Grace said something about being curious about hooking up with a girl. Otherwise, nice to meet you Grace!

Tristan and Miles - Miles is so much of a better character when he's away from Tristan it's not even funny. Well maybe next season, we don't do have to worry about Tristan anymore! Yay!

Frankie - She didn't really become a huge focus until 15B/S2 until the racism plot...I think she's a perfect character to use for it. Her coming late to Jonah's little benefit for kids earlier that season showcased that while she knows she's rich, that she's completely unaware of her privilege. I was shaking my head all throughout the racism row because she made it worse by making it about her feelings and not just apologizing for her actions. I can only hope the girls watching this season will see themselves and think "like omg am I like toally like that" or however kids these days speak. Her relationship with Jonah is so blah, I expect a new pairing by next season; he didn't really bring out anything new in her...not sure why they could not have kept her with Winston (who was just kinda there this season hanging about.)

Hunter - Wow, a character that the writers give a mental illness but that totally doesn't absolve them of their actions? Four for you writers. Hunter kinda creeped me out since season 13 and I like how the writers just built upon that and then let the actor get loose on the material. Hunter is going to be a heavy-hitter next season...though I wonder if he'll totally escape the consequences for the swatting.

Shiny - I'm guessing Andrea Lewis's criticism struck a cord with the writers; I can't remember a black female character getting this kind of attention since Liberty (Shanice Banton put in that overtime to make Marisol memorable to the point where the writers had to pay attention). And what's better is that while they did throw in storylines where it was about Shay's race, they didn't forget to flesh her out as character and also give her a Love Interest in Tiny. Tiny was good here as well, I hope the actor gets some "meat" next season as well, Richard Walters is too good to waste on just being a side character.

Lola - I love her! She has low self-esteem about her intelligence, but so far it's shown that she's very knowledgeable about social media (and can manipulate it into getting free pizza) and amping up the protest. I really want to see her believe in herself more.

The newbies - Esme left the biggest impression. Chelsea Clark is great, and I'm sure that's the reason why she got the most focus allowing her to make biggest change in the cast dynamics. The other four have actors that aren't the best yet but I think they'll grow into their roles; with Soma and Yael's actors being better than the rest. Poor Baaz though.

Overall, good season. See you guys in 2017!

• Love 1
(edited)
On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 11:18 PM, MegaJ said:

Frankie - She didn't really become a huge focus until 15B/S2 until the racism plot...I think she's a perfect character to use for it. Her coming late to Jonah's little benefit for kids earlier that season showcased that while she knows she's rich, that she's completely unaware of her privilege. I was shaking my head all throughout the racism row because she made it worse by making it about her feelings and not just apologizing for her actions. I can only hope the girls watching this season will see themselves and think "like omg am I like toally like that" or however kids these days speak. Her relationship with Jonah is so blah, I expect a new pairing by next season; he didn't really bring out anything new in her...not sure why they could not have kept her with Winston (who was just kinda there this season hanging about.)

Granted, I haven't yet seen 15B, but in all fairness to Frankie, Jonah came off just as poorly, if not worse, IMO, in 15A.

He basically hounds her into volunteering and then complains when she doesn't bring the equipment? Not sure what was stopping him from either finding someone else to volunteer or from bringing materials himself.

Edited by jsm1125
  • Love 3
(edited)

I didn't care for Frankie/Jonah in 15A, but I liked them in 15B. In fact I liked Jonah a lot in general in 15B, because he was more of a soundboard for other characters to bounce their problems off of with little judgement. I don't think Frankie and Jonah are long for this show though since he's such a minor character, and while they may revisit Frankie/Winston to give Winston a second shot at love during his final year (especially since he was so sweet with his storyline with Zoe in 15B... it sounds gross to say he needs to be rewarded), they'll have to introduce a new character in her grade, since she'll have slim pickings after the current Grade 11's graduate.

Edited by absnow54

I'm on episode 3.  Is Peter a teacher?  The actor grew up hot, which is good.   I did lol hard when Maya approached him about her "awesome" music and he was like "yeah that one song was great, no not your Taylor Swift rip off, but the one called 'Yes'"  Because of course Peter would pin point the best way to be a dick and a creeper in one sentence.  All while destroying her self esteem too.  And mad props for when she didn't finish and he was basically like "Aw is this about your ex?  Well, I dgaf."  It was like the actor was waiting for that to happen.   I like that they seem to be gradually rolling them out and not boom here's all the old cast.  And I can't believe I love Peter as a teacher.  I think he's the multi media teacher now.  I love it.  Please keep this shit.  I need this forever now.   Like, I want Peter taking down all the kids.  Oh and Zig finally got his sleeves.   

• Love 4
(edited)

I find Tristan repulsive...but I kind of like the guy Miles becomes when they're together.  And I honestly thought the sex thing was handled really tastefully.

And whichever writer came up with "Ku Klux Fran" deserves a raise.

Edited by starri
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, starri said:

I find Tristan repulsive...but I kind of like the guy Miles becomes when they're together.  And I honestly thought the sex thing was handled really tastefully.

And whichever writer came up with "Ku Klux Fran" deserves a raise.

I think the sex scene was handled OK, but to me it felt like the whole season was Tristan pressuring Miles into more commitment.  If they were a boy and a girl, if Miles were a female character, then Tristan would be a disgusting pig.  So, I'm still disgusted with Tristan.  He's a toxic pig and ruins everyone around him.  Tristan messes up the school assignment?  Miles saves the day.  Miles isn't a virgin? Well, Tristan calls him a literal man whore.  Zoe doesn't want to come out of the closet, well Tristan twists her words and guilts her every time he sees her.  Miles has gone from being abused by his dad to being in an emotionally abusive relationship with Tristan.  I can't believe I cheered Mo for standing up to him.  And he's literally the worst for telling Manny she couldn't sing.  Especially about teen pregnancy.  

But all the Frankie insults were hilarious.  Tbh I think Tristan would've fit in the racist storyline better.  It didn't seem in character for Frankie to go "Ok sorry if I offended you.  Got a date, bye!". That was a Tristan thing.  Was he on the bus?  Please God, tell me he was on the bus.  I just don't want Wheelchair Tristan because I can't.  

• Love 3

I will agree that there's no excuse for the way Tristan acted toward Zoe.  But I can't quite completely endorse the way the storyline unfolded, leaving Tristan's ugliness out of it.  Ana Golja certainly acted the hell out of it, but because all of the conflict was happening in her head, with Tristan or Grace to bounce her thoughts off, I was kind of confused about what her motivations were.  Did she not want to come out because she has a problem being gay?  Or was it because she got her heart broken by Grace?  I couldn't tell you.  They almost got there with her and Miles, and I wish they'd been able to continue that line a little further.  Two characters that hooked up that are now going after same-sex partners is, I think, a new thing for the show.

And, again, while it's not Ana's fault, the cribbing of the self-harm from Ellie and the reluctance to come out from Fiona and Riley really bugged me.  I know that after 500+ episodes, there are really only so many new stories they can tell, but the lifts were so direct, it really bugged me.

And I can't quite agree that Tristan's behavior was so much worse than Miles'.  It seemed like them pairing up again was a mutual decision, and it was Miles, and not Tristan that decided that the way to deal with the sex issue was just to pull down their pants without any discussion.  The "manwhore" comment was bad, but I don't know if it's worse than just throwing your partner down on the bed.  And I really, really wish that we'd seen this between Marco and Dylan, Riley and Zane, or Fiona and Imogen instead of these two.  I don't hate the couple as much as I should, but I think that's because Eric Osborne works overtime to sell it.  And I think perhaps we didn't see something like this earlier because they were waiting for Eric to turn 18.

Are Goldi and Baaz twins?  Because they both seem to be Grade 10, but with the weird flow of time on this show, I've kind of lost track of where everyone is age-wise.  The season could have used more of the former and less of the latter.

I wish the anniversary episode could have been longer, and I REALLY wish they had gotten more/other past cast members to drop by.  I mean, I'm the rare bird that liked Liberty and Emma, and I love Marco, Paige, and Holly J, but was anybody waiting to catch up with Mo?  And where were the more recent graduates?  Hell, Katie and Owen both have siblings that are still in school, you think they could have at least gotten a mention.

• Love 3

Just binge watched this, and I'm tired, so excuse the run-on sentences and poor wording.

I liked the racism storyline a lot, but some things could have been better. I liked that it wasn't overt racism, and that it was more subtle. Frankie really didn't think she was being racist. She was that ignorant and unaware that what she did was hurtful and wrong. I loooooooved Shay's conversation with her father about whether or not the prank was racist.

I didn't like that Lola was the one to lead the protest. I know that Tiny was her boyfriend, and that's why she was protesting, but I can't help but feel that the entire thing would have been better if Shay had somehow been the one to take center stage on that. Maybe hearing about what happened to Tiny after what Frankie did could have triggered and inspired her to take action? I don't know, the way it all unfolded with Lola giving the speech at the end didn't sit well with me.

Where the hell are the teachers? Since when does a student, even a student body president, single-handedly run an important event like that?  This show has always left teachers out of things like this, so I shouldn't be surprised, but still. 

• Love 4

I didn't like that Lola was the one to lead the protest. I know that Tiny was her boyfriend, and that's why she was protesting, but I can't help but feel that the entire thing would have been better if Shay had somehow been the one to take center stage on that. Maybe hearing about what happened to Tiny after what Frankie did could have triggered and inspired her to take action? I don't know, the way it all unfolded with Lola giving the speech at the end didn't sit well with me.

It definitely didn't help that Lola helped make the racist banner and showed about the same amount of remorse as Frankie during the entire ordeal. They were protesting the fact that Frankie was only kicked off the team over the stunt, while the rest of the volley ball team walked away scot free. Then again, I thought they could have also set up Tiny's situation with a bit more nuance than having a stranger show up and punch him in the face.

Where the hell are the teachers? Since when does a student, even a student body president, single-handedly run an important event like that? This show has always left teachers out of things like this, so I shouldn't be surprised, but still.

I just assume that Mr. Perino was in charge and was too busy with the logistics of ensuring the event had an open bar. But I agree. They used to have Mr. Simpson, Mrs. H, and a handful of other teachers who were semi-competent to maintain some semblance of order before this show became a full on soap opera. They teased the idea of bringing Marco on as a teacher, and I think that would be a good way to have an adult character with a POV to fill the Mr. Simpson role since he's too busy being the principal.

Is Peter a teacher?

No, he's a co-op adviser like Caitlyn was for Ellie. I kind of wish that Sav was the one working for the record label, because Sav is way better, and Sav actually had an interest and talent in producing music. Peter the musician was more like "Peter's girlfriend(s) has a life and need him to get a hobby..."

I find Tristan repulsive...but I kind of like the guy Miles becomes when they're together. And I honestly thought the sex thing was handled really tastefully.

I disliked Triles 1.0 because Miles treated Tristan like crap and Tristan came off as pathetic, but the guys have really great chemistry, so I didn't hate the fact that they gave them a second go, and I wound up liking the pairing this time around. I also thought that they handled the sex episode really well. I think it shows that while Degrassi "goes there" with flashy dramatic stunts, the show is at its best during the quieter moments.

• Love 2
(edited)

If they are going to kill someone off with this bus crash incident, I'm with those hoping it's Tristan. I find him obnoxious and pretty much any attempt the show has made at making him come off as sympathetic has failed miserably on me. My only issues with killing him off are that it would probably devastate Miles (who has been a jerk in the past, but who I overall liked so much this season) and that it would mean no one ever calling him out on his biphobic crap.

I also feel bad when I want regular characters to die because I know that means an actor no longer has a job, but hopefully he could find something else.

Oh, and on the racism plot, I liked it overall, but I was continually bugged by the fact that no one was bringing up that Frankie's father was the mayor of Toronto. Obviously the news of her actions reached beyond high school gossip since the alumni had heard about it. So why weren't there headlines like, "Mayor's Daughter Paints Racist Sign"? Why didn't her father show up to worry about how it could reflect negatively on his image? Why didn't he hire her a PR person (to protect himself)?

Obviously this show isn't super heavy on adult involvement in most plots, but since they picked Frankie for this plot, I feel like this should have been addressed.

Also (just gonna keep adding to this post), again, overall liked the racism plot, but shouldn't the other school's volleyball team have gotten in more trouble for their prank? Falsely triggering emergency alarms is illegal, as is stealing from people, and there are at least rules against entering a school and a school's locker room when you're not a student or otherwise affiliated with that school.

Edited by Ikki
  • Love 3

.  Frankie and the Degrassi team (minus Shay) were wrong and racist AF, but the other team pretty much broke into the school, pulled a fire alarm, stole clothes, and exposed minors in public.  Isn't that multiple felonies?  I get that it's Degrassi and adults exist for plot points, but damn.  Mayor Hollingsworth cared enough to make Frankie take the wrap for Degrassi nudes last season, but couldn't be bothered to deal with his twins being racist, bringing a gun to school, terrorizing people, or getting exposed in front of the school?  Like, he's won the mayor gig and doesn't care at all.  Also, this Degrassi bus crashes and no parents are there.  None.  Say what you will about Drew or Claire, but their parents were there.  Hell, Fiona's parents were diplomats and they were involved.  

I like Peter there because he's so blunt.  I also enjoy Sav and Spinner.  Sav can teach music, Peter can do media immersion, Spinner can be asst principal because it'd be hilarious.  I'd be open to Paige the guidance counselor, Marco the history teacher, and Craig the English teacher/drama teacher.   I won't lie, Peter being honest with Maya was the best part of the season.  

• Love 3

I wasn't even going to watch but I wanted to see this reunion & my younger sister asked me to watch with her.

The reunion wasn't what I thought it would be. It was kind of weird how they fit some of the characters into the storyline. Like Mo. And they couldn't show Emma & Spinner together once? 

I'm not an actor or a TV writer so I try not to comment too much on those kinds of things. But I have to say that the writing was so predictable, I knew what the characters were going to say. I even finished their sentences several times. It was corny at times too. The old Degrassi was able to approach these issues without being cliche or corny. 

I don't know why but I can't stand Maya. When Peter was explaining why more people liked Vijay's version of her song, he should've told her that she needs to stop looking so constipated all the time. 

Do any of these characters remind you of any of the old characters? For me, Grace kind of reminds me of Alex. Hunter & Yael is like Eli & Claire. Winston is like Wesley. Baaz kinda reminds me of Connor a little bit too.

Maybe the Next Generation has me spoiled- I don't know. As much as I complained about it, it still had me wanting to know what's going to happen next (we watched the whole season in one evening). I'll definitely be watching when it comes back- I really want to know who died. (Fingers crossed that it's Maya.) 

• Love 3
(edited)

I finally finished this latest season of Degrassi and loved it.  So many things to comment on that I wish each episode had its own topic and could be discussed separately.

As already mentioned it bothered me that the other school didn't get in trouble for their prank and that Shay didn't bring that up when she went to meet with the girls on the other team.

The reunion was nice and I enjoyed seeing the older characters.  I liked how there was a mention of Heather? Sinclair like they used to do.  I was hoping to see Owen again.  And I noticed there was a kid that called Mr. Simpson "dad".  His son should be old enough to be joining the cast soon.  (If you go by actual years, he should be 13 - not sure how that translates to Degrassi years)

When they tried to make it seem that Simpson was racist, I would have liked a mention of Conner who he took care of for years.

I loved Hunter - has to be my favorite character.

I still don't care for Esme, but Degrassi is very good at making unlikable characters likable.  Not sure what happened to all the drugs she used to take.

I wasn't expecting the cliffhanger.  I thought it was weird the other kids weren't at the game, and then the hunts started to come.  Not sure if there are contract negotiations going on with half the cast allowing another death or if we get something else.  I hope they all come back.

One additional note about Tristan.  I thought he lost his virginity with that teacher a season to two ago.  The one he was so in love with that Maya turned in.

Edited by Akenta
added one more thought
  • Love 3
(edited)

It was kind of weird how they fit some of the characters into the storyline. Like Mo.

For real. Who really gives a shit about Mo Mashkour? My assumption is that they went with whoever they could get, so I'm guessing that some actors (e.g. Munro Chambers, Cassie Steele) said no. My UO is that both Eli and Manny are overrated, but it felt weird for the show to bring back a nobody like Mo but leave more iconic Degrassi characters out. At least they didn't bring back Chester or Blue.

Anyway. I just finished the season! Been too old for this show for the past decade lmao, but I can't seem to quit. My ~feelings:

1. I really don't understand what girls see in Zig. He's a fuckboy. I briefly felt sorry for him when he wanted to dance because he felt lousy about not being good at anything - been there, done that, got the t-shirt - but then I was back to being annoyed by his face. And why is he allergic to sleeves?? Love yourself, Grace.

2. So many of the actors on this show are just horrible. In a way, it's charming; I like how Degrassi still holds open auditions and is the first big break for a lot of these actors. But when they're trying to do big, dramatically emotional scenes, I cringe. IMO Ana Golja and Spencer Macpherson are the best actors in the new class, which is good considering what their respective characters went through this season. I really don't care for Hunter as a character, but I don't want to think how badly Lyle Lettau or Ricardo Hoyos would have butchered his arc. 

3. Eric Osborne's (Miles) acting is nothing special - although I did like the moment when he was telling his mom about being afraid of his dad (in season 1) and when he told his mom about Hunter's problems - and I don't think he's cute at all, but there is just something about him that makes him compelling to watch on screen. 

4. I don't know who I hope dies from that car crash, assuming someone does. (The news report made sure to mention there were no casualties, although someone could die at the hospital.) I hate Jonah, Zig, and Tristan, so I'd be okay with any of those. Actually, Jonah was pretty okay this season but I'm petty and still don't like him for his earlier negging. Too bad Baaz wasn't on that bus... 

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 2

It's because he's adorable and a guck up, I admit, but I totally would've crushed on Zig if I went to Degrassi. Just like Sean and Craig before him. Yeah.

Yikes! Chester.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

I said this same thing aloud when his character was talking to Miles. Also, didn't he hook up with a bunch of people and thought he had an STD? Didn't Vijay confront him about it? 

They seem to be going with the idea that only certain types of sexual activity count as "real" sex from which one can lose their mythical virginity. While it wasn't explained well, in part because they've often been kind of vague when describing what had actually happened when characters have hooked up, I assume that Tristan has had oral sex with various people before, but has not considered that to alter his virgin status.

In fairness to the show, I get that this can be a common view among teenagers and people of all ages. I remember participating in a conversation in high school about what constituted real sex and if two girls could actually lose their virginity to each other. (The later part of this frustrated my queer ass to the point of storming off.)

But also, I feel like they could have done the plot a little better, maybe without Tristan getting all insecure about his "number" and calling Miles a manwhore. Like, he was considering doing something new sexually. That's plenty to be nervous about already. They still could have had Miles trying to treat it overly casually and not working with Tristan's feelings around it. 

• Love 3

EPISODE 1: I don't really see Frankie as the kind of character who would be pushing for revenge. But it was a decent way to start out the season. Except for Jonah. UGH, Jonah. What kind of Christian stereotype is he? You don't have to turn the other cheek because it's a silly prank war? Nice try, writers. Stick to the characters you established.

It was harder to get back into the Maya storyline. It took me a bit to remember everything that had happened and I still only remember the vaguest of outlines. Also, I am way too attracted to Ricardo as an adult woman.

Grace: "The universe does not care about your love life." YES. Quote of the episode.

Miles and Hunter were pretty cute together in all the bonding moments. And then they had to make him crash the car out of nowhere as the most obvious cry for help imaginable. Classic Degrassi. Never change. I'm conflicted about Miles sticking around. On the one hand, it would be best for the character to go to boarding school. On the other hand, he's not so bad when he's not mooning over Maya or... whatever happens when they pair him with Tristan.

Why does Tristan still have that terrible jet black hair? It does not work with his complexion.

I doubt it'll happen but I hope Esme will bring more Asian characters into the cast. I know I'm reading way too much into one photo.

The Shay thing wasn't the worst storyline but this was an awkward way to get into it. When did volleyball and apparently a sports scholarship become her dream? Weren't they just cheerleaders? I think she's also good at science...?

Does anyone find the lame teenage romance of Zig and Maya compelling anymore? I mean, I guess it would be cute if they were different characters but with all their baggage and also how bland they are without a strong person backing them up it's hard to root for them.

I knew the racism thing was coming. We'll see where this goes.

• Love 3

EPISODE 2: Hunter reminds me so much of Declan, at least in appearance. God, I miss Declan and Holly J. Also, whew. I thought they really were just taking him to school and I was like "wow, therapy happened fast."

That was a nice acting moment between Shay and Frankie in the classroom.

Aw, that was such a cute moment with Zig running up to hug Maya. He's like an overgrown little boy. Giant heart. Not too bright. Absolutely adorable. I still wish they'd give Tiny and Grace more to do but they're pretty great with the advice sometimes.

I like that Hunter's getting help but I'm not sure I love this pseudo Girl Interrupted thing they're going for.

I liked the debate between Shay and the captain from Northern Tech. There's someone on the writing staff who's really good at these scenes. I mean, not much comes of them generally but the debate scenes are good. It's complicated and they didn't shy away from that. No, Frankie wasn't being racist. But she should still apologize for having hurt someone. Being ignorant of the racist implications of an action doesn't exonerate you. I don't think she should have to quit the team but she should own up because your actions don't happen in a vacuum, they happen in the context of the larger world. Also, yay, Shay has parents who parent! I vaguely remember seeing them before when she wanted to date... I think.

Aw, I loved Degrassi's idea of a fancy restaurant... and Zig in a suit. It was only made better when Tiny and Lola showed up. And I love that they're using a Groupon. Oh God, I laughed so hard at that scene. But, ugh, when he went to her room... Just commit to the Zig/Maya thing or stop it, Degrassi. I don't care anymore. Can we get Zoe back in here? Or is she a lesbian now? I forgot what happened last season. "Anything's possible?" GAH! Stop leaving the door open. Cross the threshold either way and then shut the damn door. Double bolt it.

I don't find Red Wig as compelling as Arlene. What happened to her?

I liked Shay taking charge with Frankie at the end of the episode but I wish she'd actually explained to her what was racist about the drawing since it seemed like she really didn't know.

• Love 1

EPISODE 3: "It's been our dream forever." LIES!

As I expected we started losing the subtlety to the race debate pretty quickly. I think it's realistic but at the same time, I wish Degrassi would have decided to give its younger viewers better skills for conflict resolution. Would Frankie have really been so oblivious to go through that scene in the gym and at the Dot that way? It's not Northern Tech's responsibility to educate Frankie but if they wanted to pick up this thread, it's kind of Degrassi's responsibility to educate its viewers.

I kind of liked having a gay student participate in the misogyny towards Yael in app class. That all got resolved pretty easily but w/e. It would be nice to have that app around for future plotlines though.

So I guess Zoe is on the Advice Brigade with Grace and Tiny. Again, I think they could be put to better use.

Do any of those very pale boys have sunscreen on? Otherwise that pick up game is not going to end well.

• Love 1

EPISODE 4: Weird open. A) Zoe doesn't usually curl her hair. B) She seems glam enough to know how but she held that curling iron in a way that could only have resulted in a burn. C) That's totally not what a curling iron burn looks like. Also is this supposed to lead into a self-harm storyline? Because that makes no sense right now.

I selfishly want Zoe to be bi so that Zoe/Zig isn't out of the question but also because it would mean throwing out a ton of what we know about the character. She was introduced through her relationship with Miles. Then there was the whole thing with Becky's brother. But also, lol, Degrassi. Why would Zoe be distracted by Esme's mosquito bites? Since Esme was so clingy with Miles, I would also be kind of upset if she's a lesbian and not bi. If she is bi though, I'm OK with her being Evil Imogen.

Great, Baaz is taking tips from the Game. Oh, I'm sorry "The Pursuit." Is he the new Winston? I don't need two Winstons. Speaking of, it's kind of gross that Winston wrote those kisses into his script.

LOL, Teendr. I did like Lola eating all the olives off the pizza.

Aw, makeover Grace is cute. Though hot pink doesn't really go with the hair. I'm not sure how I feel about Zig/Grace yet. I don't think the characters have much chemistry, nor the actors yet, but I'm kind of down for their all black (they don't seem like goths or punks) greaser vibe.

Zig: "I think you just Inceptioned me." Line of the episode.

I can see why they're creating this false drama with Lola and Tiny (especially because I saw some of the summaries for future episodes) though it feels like filler. Also, what is with this finger on the chin thing? They're doing it too many times. I have to believe it's in the script or the fault of the director. I'll be upset if Tiny gets in trouble just for defending himself. From that fight choreography, he was really just defending himself. I don't think he got to throw a punch. The fight did remind me that Degrassi used to be a more interesting place. Sure, there's the delinquent class but aside from that it's all animation and app design. They seem like they suddenly got rich, don't they?

Zoe is so broken. I wish we'd go more into her needing to seek approval from romantic partners and less into her being in the closet which Degrassi has done so many times already. And again, how did we jump into a self-harm storyline from a random curling iron burn?

• Love 1

EPISODE 5: Liberty! Holly J.! Wheelchair Jimmy (at least mentioned in passing)! Craig! Sav! Marco! Paige! I wanted more of them. Can they do another movie?

I forget how the dress code stuff got resolved but how did Maya's mom allow her out in that mini skirt and knee high boots?

It is only 5 days. I'm with Tiny. He should get to decide if he wants a protest or not. And if the others want to protest racism at Degrassi that's fine but Tiny should get to choose if he wants his name to be a part of that. Also, this was an odd choice for sparking the protest. As Simpson said, it didn't seem like the zero tolerance against fighting policy had been unfairly applied. Frankie made a drawing. She didn't fight anyone. And wasn't Hunter suspended for pushing Yael?

What? They brought Mo back? OK... And Spinner and Emma are looking a bit rough.

I loved Holly J's pink skirt with the blue flowers.

That was a nice stunt with the lights. It was a little disappointing to cut off Frankie though. She's got a pleasant voice. Better than Maya.

• Love 1

EPISODE 6: Are the fitness tests really that intense now? Also, why is there a volleyball component for... summer sports camp?

Also, stop being so preachy, Lola. You basically just discovered racial inequity last episode. I like the pragmatism of Tiny and Shay. I'm sure it'll be written over with a lesson about being true to yourself but it's a nice level of nuance beyond just ignoring your conscience.

Maya: "Are you saying I'm not interesting enough to be friends with?" YES.

I'm not sure Winston is the right person to be with to gauge if you're into guys or not.

Who would ever book Maya to sing like that? WHO?

LOL at the Zig/Maya drama at the bar. On the one hand, she's a child. I hope Peter ran away with those Cokes and never looked back. Also, lol Peter and coke. ;) Zig shouldn't keep expecting them to get back together because he has this Eli thing about them being soulmates BUT Maya shouldn't put this pressure on Grace to be friends with both of them but always have to keep them apart. This was her gig too.

Oh, Degrassi. Why was Zoe dressed as a geisha? Somehow we have both super woke teenagers and super oblivious ones. Nah.

LOL at Winston spraying Zoe in the face like a disobedient cat.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I selfishly want Zoe to be bi so that Zoe/Zig isn't out of the question but also because it would mean throwing out a ton of what we know about the character. She was introduced through her relationship with Miles. Then there was the whole thing with Becky's brother. But also, lol, Degrassi. Why would Zoe be distracted by Esme's mosquito bites? Since Esme was so clingy with Miles, I would also be kind of upset if she's a lesbian and not bi. If she is bi though, I'm OK with her being Evil Imogen.

I have to disagree that it would mean throwing out what we know about the character. People can be in hetero-relationships and then later realize they're (only) attracted to people of the same gender. I know one girl who had a boyfriend for three years in high school and now identifies as a lesbian. Degrassi can be ridiculous, but I don't think "this character was previously in relationships with guys but now realizes she may only be attracted to girls" is ridiculous. Gotta love that heteronormativity/compulsory heterosexuality.

• Love 5

Ikki, I guess I have a problem with it because it comes across as the writers being afraid to establish two new lesbian characters, and instead needing to tie new characters in with pre-existing characters through romantic relationships. I don't think his pairings with Maya and Tristan have been that great but I appreciated what they did with Miles' character. Whereas with Zoe, we never got an inkling that she was even the slightest bit attracted to girls and now she's tamping down these intense feelings of shame and self-hatred out of nowhere. I know we rush into plots... like Shay suddenly wanting to be an Olympic-level volleyball player, but it seems like they're not trying very hard with Zoe. Heck, Fiona's story made more sense than this. Also, as I've said, I think the more interesting angle on this is Zoe's need for approval because of her own low self-confidence. I don't want this to be another story where everything gets solved once you're with the right romantic partner.

Honestly though, when it comes to Zoe's prior relationships with Miles and Drew, it wasn't necessarily that she liked them or was even attracted to them, it mostly seemed like a power grab to restore her image/status. I don't think the same could be said about her relationship/flirtation with Zig, but then again, it wasn't something she ever acted on (until she was motivated by fiery revenge...) I think Grace was the first person that Zoe actually found herself falling for, which led to her season long coming out arc. Maybe it's because I saw the first season of Next Class before watching seasons 13 and 14, so the idea of Zoe's sexuality was planted from the start for me.

• Love 6
(edited)

EPISODE 7: Lol. How is Frankie not disguising her voice at all enough to fool whoever is on the other end of the phone at Degrassi into thinking it's her mom calling in sick for her? Also, yay to Mama Hollingsworth banning Jonah. Too bad it can't stick.

Of course Lola has a homeopath. One day someone needs to call her on all her BS.

There's a Dragon Slayer club? What now?

Baaz is the laziest form of jerk. There are nerd bullies now? Yes, Frankie was completely oblivious in trying to resolve the problem and dug a deeper hole for herself but I'm feeling really bad for her considering the fact that she isn't actually racist and her intentions were always good. There are actually terrible people in the world. It's depressing to watch her be punished like this.

Who the hell is contributing to Miles and Tristan getting 150 likes/photo? Do that many people even go to Degrassi/care about their Hastygram? Also, I can't believe I just typed Hastygram.

Name checking Shane Dawson. Interesting move. I feel like Degrassi tends to avoid real world people unless they guest star.

I just realized I've never thought about this before but do you need to be a certain age to rent a hotel room?

Wow. What is Zoe thinking with that photo of her burn. It was one thing when she was just jumping into self-harm really quickly but now we're taking it to a weird place. Does she want people to think Winston is physically abusing her?

Oh, thank Jesus. I mean, it doesn't say much about Jonah's character that I totally believed that he was going along with this running away forever plan but at least he's not completely nonredeemable.

There's actually some nice complexity to the writing again for the Zoe/Tristan scene. She has a point. People shouldn't be forced out of the closet until they're ready and you shouldn't foist your ideas about their sexuality onto them because you think they are not being true to themselves. Glee did a similar story with Kurt. At the same time, he has a point about how miserable and self-destructive she actually is right now.

Does Frankie know how to drive yet? She's Hunter's twin and Miles was just teaching him how to drive the convertible so I assume she doesn't have her license yet. I don't know all the rules in Canada. I am thankful they didn't get Frankie into a car crash.

It didn't end well for him but I respect Tiny for being honest with Lola before really even flirting with Shay. Sure, her touching his stomach crossed a line but before that I wouldn't even call their interactions that romantic besides the spark they were both feeling.

That was an interesting way of having Frankie realize she might be a little racist even if she hasn't admitted it to herself. I think that's a different issue than the gorilla thing she wasn't even aware of but whatever. Perhaps I shouldn't expect too much from Degrassi if it at least gets us into an interesting conversation.

Aw, that voicemail! Shay is great.

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 2

EPISODE 8: What? Is this what teenagers do? That was the weirdest way to play truth or dare.

Zig started off this episode being crazy adorable. Do not trust the redhead with too much blue eyeshadow and a bedazzled off the shoulder top in the afternoon!

On the one hand, I don't think that the guy who did the cover can really sing that well. On the other hand, it's Maya so... haha! I did like her threatening to rip the card though. It brought things back down to a low stakes level of... oh yeah, they're in high school. Degrassi isn't always the most relevant show but I kind of like the way they've handled the somewhat over-sensitive tumblr generation. Yes, there are important social issues that everyone needs to be more respectful of. But everyone isn't malicious and you shouldn't jump to calling someone bigoted because they're doing something you don't like. You should open up a dialogue. Sadly that part hasn't been happening as much on Degrassi whether it was feminism last season or race and whatever "weird" is code for right now. I also enjoyed Maya criticizing someone else for their singing abilities. I'm not sure he deserved her helping write him a song when he was continuing to sass her at the end, but whatever. I'm really not into any of Hunter's little gang right now.

What? Why have they been hiding Tiny's dancing skills?

Also, what happened to Zig's job at the restaurant?

Lol, how did Esme and Zig suddenly fall into that cliched scene from every dance movie? Sometimes I feel like Degrassi is trolling us.

I'm not going to lie. Zig's Flashdance/Magic Mike ballet was real fun for me. On many levels. But oh, Lord, he's so sweet and naive. Why did he just strip?

Jude Harrison! I miss Instant Star. It got very annoying as a show but I liked the music.

Gasp at that look Zig gave Grace when he was pretending he was going to put on the g-string. I'm not here for Zig/Esme though. I don't think the actors have any chemistry. She's better than him... but in a different way, unlike Zoe who was a better actress but made him better as well.

• Love 1

EPISODE 9: I totally forgot that Grace had an illness until this episode. Where has that been this season?

Why is it called a Bush Party? Is that a Canadian thing? Does it have something to do with wearing all white?

Baaz is a jerk. You shouldn't need a boyfriend to not want to go out with someone. And you shouldn't need the threat of a rival to back down when someone is clearly not interested.

Oh, no, Hunter. Why couldn't you say the right thing?

Why is Maya dressed as a flower child fairy for a party in the woods? Also, where are they having this party? How do none of the adults know? Most of them aren't old enough to drink right... only the seniors?

That was the dress Yael would look smoking in? She looks like a Mormon.

Aw, Zig was super adorable this episode. I don't think he has that much chemistry with the actor who plays Grace, which is a shame. It'd be nice to see a more unconventional girl (someone like Jane or Ellie) in a romantic plot again.

I wish they could channel more of Shay's athletic montages into showing her actually winning and not just training. Also, I'm liking the build with Shay and Tiny. I wish they had more screen time but it means the writers have actually let there be a normal slow progression to their relationship which is kind of nice.

Ha! Baaz is back to being the worst. Is he still reading "The Pursuit"? Also, I loved Grace's eye roll. Lol that Maya has a perfect body. Look, I don't think those comparisons are worthwhile but the writers are being kind of ridiculous. I did like Grace in that scene though. She deserves to finally get her big blow up scene. I don't think it was as good as Zoe last season but, you know, give her more to do and she could be one of the better actors on the show.

Grace: "Turns out I'm the only girl at Degrassi he won't hook up with." AMAZING.

Was the lemonade a Beyonce reference?

Thank Jesus Zoe was there with those three idiots around. I mean, I know they don't know she has cystic fibrosis but they were still idiots. I love how Maya looked at Zoe like she was about to make it all about her again. Calm down, Maya. No one is obsessed with you except you. And maybe Zig.

Aw, Hunter came! That scene was hilariously cheesy and cliched but also super sweet. I'm so easy.

Oh, good Christ. Why did Maya have to be the one who stayed behind?

Ah!!! Shay and Tiny finally kissed. So cute! There's still a bit too much teen angst romance cliche with Hunter and Yael. They're totally a YA novel except no one has cancer. Shay and Tiny feel like a genuine friendship with two people who have chemistry and things in common besides liking to put their faces together.

• Love 1

EPISODE 10: OMG, that close up of Tristan's face with the paint was terrifying. Never again.

Again, Tiny and Shay are both so great (at least this season). I don't think she needs to get Lola's blessing but at least she's making her aware of what's going on, which is nice. Though, yeah, obviously Lola was going to say no. It's Lola. And I think they should go ahead without her blessing.

Is Hunter going to set the house on fire?

I wish they'd go more into the way Zoe's self harm is tying into this social media community instead of assuming everyone knows what it is. I assume it's some kind of weirdness like the pro-anorexia groups. Also, I hope she deals with her emotional issues and gets help (preferably on screen) instead of coming out and finding a girlfriend and being all better. Adding in everything we know from her backstory she really has some stuff to work through.

Oh, God. Why didn't Hunter just kick out Baaz and kid whose name I can't remember earlier? And why is anyone friends with Baaz? He's awful.

I liked what was going on with Shay this episode. She didn't fly off the handle and act irrational (i.e. bad writing). All the resentment she had bottled up was getting the best of her gameplay. She has quietly snuck up and become one of the better written characters on this show.

God, Ana is a good actress. Real tear realness in that scene. Is Winston being nice to her part of his redemption? It's not really working for me.

It was great to finally see the volleyball team play a game. Though the girls on the Northern Tech team did look physically stronger... you know, besides the Degrassi Panthers who never get to talk. Why are the girls in Degrassi world so tiny nowadays? They all seem both short and slim.

Aw, Hunter and Yael kiss! They're totally going to have a messed up Eli/Clare thing, aren't they?

What? Cliffhanger! Grace, Tristan, Zig, Maya, Jonah, and Tiny! Also, lol at how they skipped all the people on the list who weren't their friends. Is it bad that I'm OK with losing some of those people as long as we keep Grace, Zig, and Tiny? I have no idea where they're going with this. Will we get a new character who has to use a wheelchair... or who gets addicted to painkillers? Are they just going to kill off one or two characters?

• Love 1

And Zig's only scene was him wondering if it was weird to get on the death bus.

This made me crack up. Also, from your spoiler section, it would make sense if Maya was the Emma because she can be incredibly annoying in a writer's pet kind of way.

Her relationship with Jonah is so blah, I expect a new pairing by next season; he didn't really bring out anything new in her...not sure why they could not have kept her with Winston (who was just kinda there this season hanging about.)

This. I think they wanted some way of keeping Jonah involved with Becky gone and Maya's involvement with the band being on and off but I'm totally cool with them just dropping Jonah all together.

They almost got there with her and Miles, and I wish they'd been able to continue that line a little further.

I liked them bonding over lunch lady duty. It's too bad that got sidetracked with Miles pointing her towards Winston. Zoe needs better people in her life who don't want anything from her.

No, he's a co-op adviser like Caitlyn was for Ellie. I kind of wish that Sav was the one working for the record label, because Sav is way better, and Sav actually had an interest and talent in producing music. Peter the musician was more like "Peter's girlfriend(s) has a life and need him to get a hobby..."

Lol. You guys are slaying me. I'm so happy I can finally read all the comments now that I've finished the season. Sav might not be so interesting since he's all wrapped up in this future political career (OK...) but yeah, it would have been nice to have him fulfill the musician mentor role. Are they out of school? I'm unclear on how Peter has this job if they're college-age. I can't keep track of how old anyone is supposed to be anymore.

I don't know why but I can't stand Maya. When Peter was explaining why more people liked Vijay's version of her song, he should've told her that she needs to stop looking so constipated all the time. 

Haha. Yeah, she tries to bop around a bit but she doesn't really have great stage presence. Was that bar owner really incapable of booking another band?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, aradia22 said:

Are they out of school? I'm unclear on how Peter has this job if they're college-age. I can't keep track of how old anyone is supposed to be anymore.

If they hadn't mucked up the timeline, he'd be 26, but technically only 4 years have passed, so he would be out of university. We know he just turned 23 because of his birthday party, so that makes Spinner 25/26 and Sav 21/22. It also made the reunion episode funny, because the original class graduated in 2006, so they should have been celebrating their 10 year reunion, but are in this weird warped timeline where only 6 years have passed.

6 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I'm not sure he deserved her helping write him a song when he was continuing to sass her at the end, but whatever. I'm really not into any of Hunter's little gang right now.

And wasn't it weird that nobody mentioned that Vijay had been maliciously cyber bullying Maya last season, giving her a valid reason to not want him to use her songs. I agreed with the idea of the plot, because while Maya is a very talented musician, she has pretty terrible stage presence, but could they not have found another character like Lola or something to cover her music?

• Love 6