Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E01: Girl Meets High School: Part One

I think I'm hate watching this show and that makes me sad.  It's just so bad.  Its way too heavy handed in every single aspect.  Riley is insufferable to me right now.  There's believing the best in people and there's just being stupid.  Especially when these are people you don't know.  I absolutely believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt but Riley takes it to another level.  I'm disappointed that Maya is just Riley's sidekick, she didn't think for herself not once during the high school drama.  She's supposed to be Shawn's counterpart but Shawn had his own life and his own opinions. I liked that Shawn was cooler than Cory and that while it was a source of conflict for Cory, it never was for Shawn.  I wish this show went deeper than these surface issues when it come to the kids.

I hated that Maya and Riley are both dating Lucas?  That was a real headscratcher to me.  I know the reviewer was disappointed that Farkle disagreed with Riley but she was wrong.  She's consistently wrong when it comes to anything that isn't about sunshine and rainbows.  I'm glad that Lucas, Zay, Farkle and Smackle stood up for themselves and did what was best for them.  I also liked that they seemed to be thriving.

The divorce plot line with Ava was well done.  It gave Maya and Topanga a chance to really shine a little in this episode.

• Love 7
(edited)

Just read the recap. Wasn't the blond senior  Magnolia Breeland on Hart of Dixie, Claudia Lee? It looked like her.  There was the blind and brunette in the first scene that get crunched by Maya and Riley. That could be Sassy Savage. She could be Ben's niece, not Freds daughter but they do have a sister, could be her daughter. 

Any way I do think the seniors are trying to help. I hope we get to see them again. Good casting on getting people that make Peyton Meyer look young.

Edited by Aliconehead
  • Love 2

Well that was a good,not great,opener..

I'm assuming the guy played by Benward is the head of the football team..? it almost looked like Lucas was going to snap and haul off on him,hopefully it wont reach that point..

LOL @ Smackle"I want to be part of the triangle!!" speaking of which they had better not drag this subplot on much longer

Poor Ava..actually felt bad for her

Interesting bit at the end where Riley and Maya were standing in"the hole" while Lucas,Zay,Farkle and Smackle were going about their business..for a second i thought we were going to see another character,also a freshman,join the two there and say something like"I know just how you feel."Surprisingly it didnt happen!

R.I.P Ray Colcord(show composer)

• Love 1
(edited)

Wow. This was so painful to watch. I think they've actually regressed in terms of acting ability. Truly awful. The cute charm the previous seasons had is gone.

The shoulder pads on the high school senior guy were ridiculous. I'm guessing he's supposed to be a broad-shouldered jock,  but the pads were so absurdly fake.

Ugh. And Maya's speech at the end? Bullshit.

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

Just read the recap. Wasn't the blond senior  Magnolia Breeland on Hart of Dixie, Claudia Lee? It looked like her.  There was the blind and brunette in the first scene that get crunched by Maya and Riley. That could be Sassy Savage. She could be Ben's niece, not Freds daughter but they do have a sister, could be her daughter. 

Any way I do think the seniors are trying to help. I hope we get to see them again. Good casting on getting people that make Peyton Meyer look young.

I do think they are trying to help, but that's what I found kind of ridiculous. No actual high school senior is going to go to all that trouble to help give freshmen they don't even know life advice.  They'd mess with them sure, but I don't think they'd actually care about getting them to see the world differently. Also, Riley and Maya should have told the others what the seniors said to them at the bakery  because it kind of shows that Riley was right.

It's super weird that Riley and Maya are both just calling themselves Luca's girlfriend. 

I did laugh when the seniors said they go to Topanga's all the time and Riley and Co never noticed. It reminded me of the Boy Meets World episode where Minkus showed up after years off the show saying he'd been right over on the other side of the school.

• Love 2

In the first 5 minutes, I knew all I needed to know about how bad this show has gotten when we had Auggie psychoanalyzing Ava and then Riley once again having the braincells of a goldfish. The ridiculousness of the seniors putting them in the hole to teach them to open their eyes was just so god awful, I can't even. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

Wasn't the blond senior  Magnolia Breeland on Hart of Dixie, Claudia Lee? It looked like her.

Yes, that was Claudia Lee. And the other senior girl was Ashley Argota who was on The Fosters and also had a recurring role on one or two other series that I watched.

10 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

In the first 5 minutes, I knew all I needed to know about how bad this show has gotten when we had Auggie psychoanalyzing Ava and then Riley once again having the braincells of a goldfish. The ridiculousness of the seniors putting them in the hole to teach them to open their eyes was just so god awful, I can't even. 

To be honest, outside of the "I'm this many" bit Auggie has been shown to be pretty smart. Not saying he's a genius but he would probably be top of his class as he grows older. Also I think the writers are trying to bring in darker themes slowly. Poly relationships (the triangle), divorce, etc. I hope announcer Maya isn't here to stay though. It's fine as a rarely seen recurring bit but please don't overuse it.

Also seniors going out of their way to help freshmen isn't too far fetched. Some school systems have programs where upperclassmen mentor the freshmen. Sure this is a bit OTT since there is no mention of a program, but BMW/GMW has always been a bit OTT (remember Cory traveling all the way to the away basketball game and somehow everyone else was unable to complete the game and he scored the game winner?)

When we found out that those seniors frequent Topanga's, I realized that it couldn't be hazing.  The seniors must realize this place is run by Riley and Maya's moms, so they are not going get kicked out of this.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Topanga knew about the seniors' plan in advance.  (Actually, compared to some of the things Cory has pulled on the gang - the Lord of the Flies episode comes to mind - this is pretty tame.)

I wonder how Rowan feels about her character being written the way it's written because IRL she is a very smart, socially conscious person. I feel like Auggie and Ava have more depth than the older kids now and that worries me. This episode made it abundantly clear that Riley is the least mature of all the characters outside of Corey's ridiculous "history" lessons.

• Love 3
On 6/3/2016 at 10:53 PM, KaveDweller said:

Also, Riley and Maya should have told the others what the seniors said to them at the bakery  because it kind of shows that Riley was right.

It looked to me like Farkle overheard that part of the conversation.  I was expecting to see some moment where he, at least, got over being mad at Riley, because she was (at least partially) right.  

• Love 1

So... Is there a secret door in The Hole that leads to a hangout for the older kids? They become "cool in training" if they figure it out?

Or is this all a lame "learn to be brave and question authority" life lesson (which you'd think they already learned)?

I didn't particularly like this episode (but I don't really watch this show, so I'm not saying that should count for much), but the scene with Maya and Ava at the end made me stupid emotional.

Also, I'm pretty pro-"the triangle" (as an idea, anyway).

Well, that was terrible! I have NO idea wtf Riley and her friends were fighting about. Riley was upset because her friends didn't want to stand with her in a random staircase in the hallway? The group is going their separate ways because they don't want to stand in a HOLE? I just don't understand?? Riley crying at the end was cringe inducing. I've had enough of the crying. STOP THE CRYING!

Why does every single conversation between characters on this show have to be some profound, philosophical, existential realization or epiphany. They never sound like preteens or teenagers or even humans. I get sick of hearing the same phrases every single episode as well, as if they're incapable of discussing anything other than the strength of their friendship. It's nauseating. Also, why isn't Cory fired? No actual history is ever taught. It's all just generic nonsense.

I don't know why, but show and it's writers just has this arrogant tone like they are making a television masterpiece or something. It just irks the shit out of me. Overall, this show just suffers from bad writing. It feels too saccharine and sappy, and I hate this "our friendship is so strong, we love each other so much" crap that goes on EVERY SINGLE EPISODE.

• Love 7

I did not like much about this episode it did feel too heavy handed. Like I was watching an informational after school program they used to show when I was younger.

In a way though I do relate to Riley even though I am much older than her. I wouldn't call myself naive but even now I always expect everyone to be decent and good people. I am genuinely upset and a bit hurt when people fall short of that. I guess I have un-realistic expectations of human kindness, and others moral barometers.

More annoying to me in this episode is the Riley, Lucas, Maya crap. Resolve that already, he doesn't need a harem, two girl friends is not okay. Bad message for all.

• Love 1
On 6/3/2016 at 6:33 PM, Aliconehead said:

Thank you! I was trying to figure out where I knew her from.

• Love 1

I feel like the writers thought this was going to be really meaningful and profound, but it really just didn't make sense. I have no idea what the hole is supposed to be a metaphor for and I don't know that the writers do, either. Hoping Part Two is significantly better.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Ikki said:

Also, I'm pretty pro-"the triangle" (as an idea, anyway).

Just to clarify on this, since again, I'm not super familiar with the show and didn't know how long this whole thing has been going on for, I mean I support the poly angle they had going in this episode. I'd support it even more if it was a complete triangle, but really, this is Disney, so I imagine it will end with one of the girls in a relationship with Lucas, and if that's the inevitable conclusion, I do agree that it's annoying to drag out.

Also, what confused me most this episode was...when were they supposed to be in "the hole"? In basically all contexts for when it was, there should have been more kids around, but budgets and all that I guess. But was it before school? After school? During passing time? It wasn't really clear. Also, I feel like in a real high school, "the hole" would be a fairly popular spot to be, especially if you're just chilling there before school.

(edited)

This was dumb, I hope the second part is better.

Riley is upset because her friends didn't want to stay with her in the hole? She's right that friends don't abandon you, but friends also don't hold you back. And that's all she's doing. "Stay here with me, and do what I want!"

If Lucas wants to go out and explore and go out for football she should be supporting him. I mean she believed he could go bull riding but now she doesn't think he can handle walking around a school or going out for a team?

I do like Marley (Marlee?) a lot though. Cory needs somebody calling him on his increasingly poor teaching.

Edited by Maximum Taco
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, NickDisnCart said:

Well, that was terrible! I have NO idea wtf Riley and her friends were fighting about. Riley was upset because her friends didn't want to stand with her in a random staircase in the hallway? The group is going their separate ways because they don't want to stand in a HOLE? I just don't understand?? Riley crying at the end was cringe inducing. I've had enough of the crying. STOP THE CRYING!

Why does every single conversation between characters on this show have to be some profound, philosophical, existential realization or epiphany. They never sound like preteens or teenagers or even humans. I get sick of hearing the same phrases every single episode as well, as if they're incapable of discussing anything other than the strength of their friendship. It's nauseating. Also, why isn't Cory fired? No actual history is ever taught. It's all just generic nonsense.

I don't know why, but show and it's writers just has this arrogant tone like they are making a television masterpiece or something. It just irks the shit out of me. Overall, this show just suffers from bad writing. It feels too saccharine and sappy, and I hate this "our friendship is so strong, we love each other so much" crap that goes on EVERY SINGLE EPISODE.

That's the point I've gotten to with this show.  I found it cute at first and I tuned in to see the old BMW characters, but every episode is so heavy handed and you can almost see the writers patting themselves on the back for how important and clever they find themselves and the show.  

• Love 5

Oh, and the funniest--as in most ridiculous-- part of this episode for me was when Corey was blaming them for forcing him to move to the high school level where he actually had to teach. Even leaving aside how he should be teaching the freaking content, it's like, you didn't have to move up with them? You could have stayed at the middle school? Like a normal person?

3 hours ago, Ikki said:

Oh, and the funniest--as in most ridiculous-- part of this episode for me was when Corey was blaming them for forcing him to move to the high school level where he actually had to teach. Even leaving aside how he should be teaching the freaking content, it's like, you didn't have to move up with them? You could have stayed at the middle school? Like a normal person?

There was some bullcrap explanation for this last season, where supposedly Riley went behind his back to their friend the school superintendent (in other words Mr. Turner) and accomplished the transfer. 

Of course, Corey could have simply gone BACK to Turner and told him he didn't want it...