Type keyword(s) to search

Black Panther (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

On 10/17/2017 at 1:21 PM, Bruinsfan said:

I'm not crazy about the stuff I'm seeing for Killmonger styling himself as a mirror image Black Panther—that video pointing out all the Marvel heroes fighting villainous doppelgangers of themselves hit the nail on the head. But every other moment of the trailer made me eager to see it.

But isn't this kind of different? If you want to be the leader of Wakanda, the suit and the title come with the job.

• Love 2

From various cast interviews, Erik supposedly isn't the only Wakandan who has concerns with the manner in which T'Challa rules Wakanda; so it's more of a bit of a free-for-all, instead of a mirror image situation. Erik just happens to be the loudest voice among many.

6 hours ago, xaxat said:

But isn't this kind of different? If you want to be the leader of Wakanda, the suit and the title come with the job.

I thought being the Black Panther symbolized being head of the panther tribe, which is a separate title from being king. At least that is what i remember from reading comics.

On 10/19/2017 at 1:28 PM, Wynterwolf said:

Some info on the Black Panther Prelude comic.  Which is interesting because I thought it was pretty obvious from the dialog in the back of the police car in CW that T'Challa had already been the Black Panther for awhile, but apparently not.  But this clarifies the dates (and kinda adds more weight to the idea of T'Challa sort of taking over Tony's role in the MCU going forward).  

The MCU timeline is nice and all, but I'm marking out over the casual reference to the Hatut Zeraze.

Also this is the new(-ish?) synopsis:

Marvel Studios’ “Black Panther” follows T’Challa who, after the death of his father, the King of Wakanda, returns home to the isolated, technologically advanced African nation to succeed to the throne and take his rightful place as king. But when a powerful old enemy reappears, T’Challa’s mettle as king—and Black Panther—is tested when he is drawn into a formidable conflict that puts the fate of Wakanda and the entire world at risk. Faced with treachery and danger, the young king must rally his allies and release the full power of Black Panther to defeat his foes and secure the safety of his people and their way of life.

http://collider.com/black-panther-character-posters-chadwick-boseman-lupita-nyongo/

• Love 1

So Killmonger is after the throne, I’m okay with this. 

Marvel works so much better with grounded and more realistic stories, not that I’m knocking their cosmic and mystical stories,but they do the grounded stories better than everyone else. 

• Love 6

Interesting article about how Ryan Coogler felt he had to visit South Africa to make Black Panther.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/ryan-coogler-wasnt-ready-to-direct-black-panther-until-1821647873

I'm curious why he only visited South Africa and whether cast with more recent African heritage (Lupita, Florence, Danai, and Daniel Kaluuya) were able to have any input about other parts of Africa.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

South Africa seems a bit of an odd choice, Wakanda is usually located on the eastern part of the continent (most maps have it between Kenya and Ethiopia).

Additionally, I don't think you get the same sense of being in an all Black African nation in South Africa the way you do in Kenya or Ghana. It's sort of interesting to look up and realize the last time you saw a white person was the airport. That's sort of a transformative experience as a Black person living in the US and my family is from Nigeria, but it surprises me every time. I think you'd also get a stronger sense of ancestor worship in other African countries.

• Love 3

I worry.about that length because it'll be cut for time which could hurt it.

Seriously, people are paying anywhere from $14-$19 (for the recliners) give me a 4 hour movie, with an intermission like the old days (way before my time). At least then I'd feel like my $20 was well spent.

• Love 3

I pay $12 for matinees. Bit of an increase, but I get adjusting seating and footrest.

I'm okay with the idea of cutting back. Right now, I'm looking at a Killmonger who isn't seven feet tall, and a Everett K. Ross who isn't a dope nine out of ten times. Also, T'Challa has only been in the one movie so far. Even with his presence in Avengers: Infinity War trailers, execs might think he would be a tougher sell. In the defense of the movie, I think Panther will have to only MCU movie starring a hero introduced in another movie, so things might go out the window.

Slowly working my way through the Panther's Rage TPB, which covers T'Challa's appearances in Fantastic Four and Jungle Action. I can see why Don McGregor gets so much love. Black Panther Annual #1 will be released in February, with stories from McGregor, Christopher Priest (whom I've hyped here), and Reginald Hudlin (meh, can't win 'em all).

12 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I worry.about that length because it'll be cut for time which could hurt it.

Seriously, people are paying anywhere from $14-$19 (for the recliners) give me a 4 hour movie, with an intermission like the old days (way before my time). At least then I'd feel like my $20 was well spent.

That article is clickbait. All movies start out  with a long cut in the editing process. It's an "assembly cut" where all the footage that was shot is put together. Then they cut it down to normal feature length.

This is great:

• Love 9
On 12/29/2017 at 0:19 PM, HunterHunted said:

I'm curious why he only visited South Africa and whether cast with more recent African heritage (Lupita, Florence, Danai, and Daniel Kaluuya) were able to have any input about other parts of Africa.

Interesting, since it seems to fit with the fact that they have used Xhosa as the language of Wakanda.

• Love 1
On 12/31/2017 at 2:32 AM, Lugal said:

Interesting, since it seems to fit with the fact that they have used Xhosa as the language of Wakanda.

I was just about to comment that! Perhaps that has something to do with it? For those who don't know:

• Love 1

Black Panther listed for 2:15 running time. Apparently, that's long in MCU terms. I thought all the movies ran over two hours. And I'm guessing it would be longer without tough decisions over cuts. One scene from the Priest run that I know won't make it: "Are you a terrorist?" "No, I am the king of a small African nation." It's the deadpan delivery that makes it funny.

In other news, new promo to air next week during College Football championship.  I might just wait until it officially goes online. Never got into college athletics for the most part.

• Love 1
On 12/30/2017 at 7:32 PM, Lugal said:

On 1/1/2018 at 6:10 PM, JustaPerson said:

I was just about to comment that! Perhaps that has something to do with it? For those who don't know:

Part of the reason that I felt it was odd that the director only visited South Africa is because Danai's character is named Okoye. That's a Nigerian name. Lupita's character is named Nakia. That's an Arabic name. Islam has never penetrated to South Africa the way it has in other more Northern parts of Africa. So already Wakanda is an amalgam of different African countries that it  makes sense to visit more than one country.

Yes, they used Xhosa as the language, but Wakanda was created over decades by people who didn't know Xhosa. It was created by people who  know very little about Africa. Coogler might have been able to incorporate Ankara style dandyism and peacocking into the film if he had gone to other countries. That's wearing brightly colored wax print clothing in both Western and traditional ways. It's spread throughout the diaspora, but is still more common in West Africa. There are the color and fabric mimicry traditions in Odiche organizations. It might have helped to give depth to what would be Ramonda's queen's court. It's possible that the costume, set, and makeup designers did deeper dives into other African traditions, but it strikes me as an obvious oversight on Coogler's part. I'm not saying don't see the film--please, please, please go see the film--but it probably couldn't have hurt the film if Coogler had gone to go to other countries.

Seriously, I'm not trying to make perfect be the enemy of good. I just don't know that it's great advertising to highlight (without realizing it) that Coogler's research was limited in particular ways. Regardless, go see the film.

• Love 2
On 12/11/2017 at 7:51 PM, BetterButter said:

So let's break down this international trailer. You have an

American intellectual property,

created by two Jewish Americans,

portraying a fictional African country,

featuring scenes shot in South Korea

starring people of African descent from multiple continents,

with a Japanese narrator.

ETA That will probably make a boatload of money in China.

What a world!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, xaxat said:

So let's break down this international trailer. You have an

American intellectual property,

created by two Jewish Americans,

portraying a fictional African country,

featuring scenes shot in South Korea

starring people of African descent from multiple continents,

with a Japanese narrator.

ETA That will probably make a boatload of money in China.

What a world!

I believe there's a Disney song that fits here.......

• Love 2

Set reports are starting to be released: 'How Black Panther Blends Politics, Culture, and Technology Unlike Any Other Superhero Film'

Two things (out of the many tidbits) - Shuri is supposed to be a teenager?? I'm not sure if that made the final edit, because that has not come across in the marketing/promotion at all until now.

And :

That new and old, a blending of African influences and advanced technology, is encapsulated in the designs of the Royal Talon and Talon Fighter. Each is an ultra-advanced ship, kind of like the Avengers’ Quinjet, but only if you look at them from the sides. From the top, the ships are actually in the shape of an African mask. And though that sounds like a fairly radical idea, Beachler said her design was rooted in a future that’s actually attainable.

Now I gotta go back and watch all the trailers/etc. again!

• Love 1

And the Infinity War Prelude comic #1 was released today, and it shows

Spoiler

T'Challa offering Bucky and Steve help.  Then it details how Shuri figured out how to fix Bucky (and advance the Wakandan AI program),

so I am assuming Steve and Bucky will be gone by the time Black Panther starts, and there shouldn't be a frozen Bucky stashed away in a secret lab somewhere.  And they seem to be making it clear that there won't be any other Avengers showing up in this movie:

Edited by Wynterwolf

I am not going to lie... I was kind of looking forward to T'Challa and anyone walking around the palace, through the halls, through various rooms or whatever and, in the background, just Bucky in the fridge. No pause or zooming in... just part of the furniture. I thought it would be funny. Like 'Oh, okay, there's Bucky.'

Alas.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Dandesun said:

I am not going to lie... I was kind of looking forward to T'Challa and anyone walking around the palace, through the halls, through various rooms or whatever and, in the background, just Bucky in the fridge. No pause or zooming in... just part of the furniture. I thought it would be funny. Like 'Oh, okay, there's Bucky.'

Alas.

I... was too.  But, this solution has given me a lot of interesting mental fodder to play with as well.  

• Love 2
On 1/12/2018 at 2:18 PM, Trini said:

Another featurette with the Dora Milaje (now I finally know how to pronounce it!) and more fab outfits!

Have we seen a Marvel film with this many women in it who aren't Tony's backup dancers or random models that Tony's trying to sex. Team Black Panther is majority women.

• Love 4