Type keyword(s) to search

Cast In Other Projects

• Start Topic

Wondering if there's any interest in a one of these threads? I've seen them in other show forums (Cast in Other Rolls, What Are They Up To Now, etc.) and a central thread seems to make sense here, especially since many of the cast do projects together (so it's awkward to put them in only one person's thread) and also since the cast threads follow the seasons (talk about Mark's music projects isn't really about "S22: Mark") If it's not out of line to start one, I thought this would be fun. 

Some starter things to chat about: 

--

Maks & Val tour? Anyone going? Think it's great? Think it's lame? I follow Val on Instagram and it looks like they've hired Alan from the troupe to join. Unclear if Peta will turn up in it, though I wouldn't be surprised. The tours aren't really my thing, and I'm not really into the "Wild And Crazy Guys" thing Maks & Val seem to be doing together. (I don't know if comedy is your strong suit, guys.) But I wish them the best.

--

Mark & BC's tour? Album? I actually am thinking of checking them out, small venue, intimate concerts are more my speed, and tickets are pretty cheap. 

--

Anyone know what Tristan's been up to? Want to talk about it here? (Everyone likes Tristan) Anyone else we haven't heard from in a while doing anything cool? (Dmitry? Lacey?)

--

I've been intrigued with the video/dance/music/photography projects Derek seems to be up to. Nothing official yet so I have no idea what it's for, but I also follow his social media and he's posted some interesting teasers - a collaboration with Travis Wall, a couple that specializes in tapdance, and Lindsey Sterling has popped up. This is a collaboration with a videographer friend, but some of the shots are Derek's (looks like it was the two of them filming each other). I like that he seems to surround himself with people who will teach him stuff. (This is the sort of stuff I was hoping he'd get into post-DWTS. I think it's smart of him to get behind the camera as well as in front of it.)

• Love 1

Just popping in to say that I'm a journalist, and I had a phone interview with Maks recently, in advance of the Maks and Val Tour. I'm a fan of both of the brothers, but I have to say, I really was pleasantly surprised by Maks. There wasn't a trace of the arrogance he's sometimes (often?) exhibited on DWTS. He was thoughtful, interesting, friendly, generous with the time. I've interviewed some arrogant performers (mostly musicians) over the years, and I half-expected Maks to come across that way too. But it turned out to be one of my favorite interviews in a very long time. I'm not sure if I'll get to see the show, for a variety of reasons, but he left me with a very positive impression of himself as a person. 

• Love 5

Oh nice. People (Shirley Ballas is who I'm thinking of, but I think there have been others) always seem to insist he's lovely in person. I always get the sense that he has little patience for the reality show shenanigans, loses his temper or is snarky, and it comes across as arrogance. Though he DOES keep insisting on being on them, so.

I came across this a while ago, but since it hasn't come out yet I'll put this here too, Artem and Brittany will have a cameo on the new Gilmore Girls series:

• Love 1

Personal anecdote re: Maks ... I met him once, years ago during the height of his DWTS fame (2008/2009-ish?), at a meet and greet show at a nearby mall. It's where I realized that if I'm going to meet semi/famous people I want it to be in an organic way because standing in line for a chance to say hi, make small talk for a minute, and move on is ... awkward at best.

That said, Maks was lovely. He was very friendly and seemed to at least be able to pretend he wasn't bored out of his mind or that mall shows/ meet and greets were below him. I never got the arrogance vibe, at least in person. I don't remember what we talked about, but I'm pretty sure I got a hug. (Okay, fine, everyone probably got a hug.) He made an awkward experience less awkward, which I give him credit for because it was literally a bunch of women basically standing in line and screaming for him. And that's the story of how I got a signed head shot and some very awkward looking photos my friend managed to snap of the whole thing.

• Love 7

Someone quite close to me is a big Maks fan, and I've watched DTWS off and on for years, and appreciated Maks' and Val's talents.  SO  we caught the tour.  And it's a good show.  There is a little, not a lot, of the snarky joking around--mostly it's a sincere telling of their background, as little kids from the Ukraine, eventually immigrating to the US as a family and struggling to establish themselves, in between the numbers in the first half. Then the second half is more about their personalities, again not a lot of the comedy, and nothing said outright about DWTS. The choreography is good, they have a solid troupe backing them.  

• Love 4
(edited)
On 5/27/2016 at 2:31 PM, kitcloudkicker said:

Anyone know what Tristan's been up to? Want to talk about it here? (Everyone likes Tristan) Anyone else we haven't heard from in a while doing anything cool? (Dmitry? Lacey?)

This past December/January - Tristan was in a few Ballroom with a Twist's Christmas shows with Chelsie Hightower and Gleb Savchenko (in Baltimore and Miami). Lacey Schwimmer was in some of these shows earlier in December.

Feb-March in Australia/New Zealand – Tristan toured with a play called “Good Mourning, Mrs Brown” - he played a small part (as a Mormon missionary). His first partner on Strictly, Jennifer Gibney, is the wife of the star of the show (Brendan O'Carroll) and she was also in the play.

April 5 in Sydney: Tristan's wife had a baby girl named Echo Isolde (their first child).

June 17: Tristan was in Pensacola, Florida, for a charity dance show – with Tony, Sharna, Sasha and Emma. He performed one number with Dawn and Margaret (instructors at Fred Astaire Studio, Pensacola) and another number with those ladies and some of their female students to Prince's "Kiss."

Coming up:  Tristan is listed as a performer in "Dance To the Movies" in Patchogue, NY, August 10-14, 2016 on the ticket pages of the Patchogue Theatre website. 71 East Main St, Patchogue, NY 11772. Patchogue is on the south shore of Long Island in Suffolk County, New York.  I'm pretty sure Lacey is in this too, along with Chelsie and Jonathan Roberts. I think it's run by the same people who did "Ballroom with a Twist."

His latest interview (May 4) - scroll down past Oksana Dmytrenko's interview (she used to be in DWTS' troupe and she'll be a partnered pro on Strictly starting in September):

http://www.macmaniacs.org/macmusings

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 1
(edited)

And I've been wondering about Dmitry Chaplin and just found this info - he's getting married!  If you scroll down at the link, there's a picture of his fiancee.

"It was confirmed on Monday that Dmitry would be choreographing for So You Think You Can Dance. He choreographed a Samba for Jake and All-Star Jenna... The big news was when Nigel congratulated Dmitry on his engagement to dancer and choreographer Jenya Shatilova.

VAIL INTERNATIONAL DANCE FESTIVAL

Friday August 12, 2016 Vail, CO Dmitry Chaplin & Anna Trebunskaya

DANCE IT UP PRESENTS HOT BALLROOM NIGHT

Saturday September 17, 2016 Hermosa Beach, CA Dmitry will judge (with Jonathan Roberts) and perform (with Anna Trebunskaya)

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=1137876042951106

Edited by Morrigan
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Mark "officially" announced as Frankie Valli in the Jersey Boys

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/180326/jersey-boys-sets-closing-date-on-broadway-mark-ballas-to-join-final-cast/

I hadn't realized they were ending their run. Sort of neat that he gets to be "the last."

It is! Except I don't think I can make a trip to NYC between now & the closing on Jan 15. :(

Apparently it's quite a process getting the Frankie Valli role. Kristyn Burtt tweeted this link about "Frankie Camp":

http://www.tampabay.com/features/performingarts/casting-the-role-of-frankie-valli-in-jersey-boys-is-a-challenge/1157437

and from ET, final approval is from Frankie himself:

http://www.etonline.com/news/197379_mark_ballas_on_getting_the_jersey_boys_lead_and_what_he_ll_miss_most_on_dwts/

Edited by Uke
add'l info
  • Love 1

Mark is doing a Broadway.com blog of his time on Jersey Boys. 

His first show is tonight!

(I was actually at the show a few weeks ago, we took my parents when they were in town, and through a connection with another cast member got to take them backstage, so that that was fun. No Mark yet though, we saw the second-to-last Frankie.) 

For those who miss Tristan MacManus, he and other DWTS alums will be on a skating/dancing show in February:

Shall We Dance on Ice

TV Broadcast: ABC, Saturday, February 11, 2017, 3 - 5 pm

Taping: Sunday, December 11, 2016, 7:30 pm, Mandalay Bay Event Center, Las Vegas, NV

"Shall We Dance on Ice" is a journey of dance through the ages with both skating and dance performances. The special is hosted by Kristi Yamaguchi and Shark Tank's Robert Herjavec and will feature performances by superstar dancers, including Dmitry Chaplin, Chelsie Hightower, Tristan MacManus, and Anna Trebunskaya. The special will also include performances by ice dancers Meryl Davis & Charlie White, Sinead Kerr-Marshall & John Kerr, Naomi Lang & Peter Tchernyshev, Laurence Fournier-Beaudry & Nikolaj Sorensen, Isabella Tobias & Ilia Tkachenko, Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam, Kim Navarro & Brent Bommentre, and Beata Handra & Joel Dear. Special musical performance by Grammy Award-nominated Goo Goo Dolls.

2 hours ago, Good Queen Jane said:

"Shall We Dance on Ice" is a journey of dance through the ages with both skating and dance performances. The special is hosted by Kristi Yamaguchi and Shark Tank's Robert Herjavec and will feature performances by superstar dancers, including Dmitry Chaplin, Chelsie Hightower, Tristan MacManus, and Anna Trebunskaya. The special will also include performances by ice dancers Meryl Davis & Charlie White, Sinead Kerr-Marshall & John Kerr, Naomi Lang & Peter Tchernyshev, Laurence Fournier-Beaudry & Nikolaj Sorensen, Isabella Tobias & Ilia Tkachenko, Alexandra Paul & Mitchell Islam, Kim Navarro & Brent Bommentre, and Beata Handra & Joel Dear. Special musical performance by Grammy Award-nominated Goo Goo Dolls.

What, no Mrs. Herjavec? 

I have yet to spot Derek and Mark in Harry Potter (and yes, I've looked, they're supposed to be in the Great Hall during a feast, I think), but Julianne is clearly seen in the stands of a Quidditch match right in front of Hagrid.

(edited)

Derek can be seen running past Hermione as he describes in the video but IIRC he's kind of "ghostly" because the camera was focused on her and he was running past in the background.  As far as I know, no one has spotted Mark yet. The only clues he's given is that it was the sorting hat scene (Hufflepuff) and he was dressed in red hair and braces.  As for the loot Derek kept, Nan (Mark's grandmother) probably has it.

Edited by Uke

So....whatever happened to Peta's movie that she was harping about on social media? She was always mentioning it. Then, IIRC, there was a premiere in the spring, and nothing has been talked about since. Did her movie go directly to DVD and never made it to the big screen? Or worse yet, never even made it to DVD. I was looking forward to some good comedy regarding Peta's "acting."

Edited by BeeBop88
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, BeeBop88 said:

So....whatever happened to Peta's movie that she was harping about on social media? She was always mentioning it. Then, IIRC, there was a premiere in the spring, and nothing has been talked about since. Did her movie go directly to DVD and never made it to the big screen? Or worse yet, never even made it to DVD. I was looking forward to some good comedy regarding Peta's "acting."

I read recently there was a "delay in production" so I'm guessing that means we won't be seeing it any time soon.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I read recently there was a "delay in production" so I'm guessing that means we won't be seeing it any time soon.

Thanks for your answer.  So I guess Peta's movie falls into "never made it to DVD" category. Not really a surprise. But kind of disappointed. I was really curious what Peta's "acting" consisted of. To my knowledge, I think she said one time she was taking an acting class. Don't know if she ever took another class or not.  Probably in Peta's mind, that one class qualified her as a potential movie actress. I have to admit, I am not a Peta fan.

Edited by BeeBop88
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, BeeBop88 said:

Thanks for your answer.  So I guess Peta's movie falls into "never made it to DVD" category. Not really a surprise. But kind of disappointed. I was really curious what Peta's "acting" consisted of. To my knowledge, I think she said one time she was taking an acting class. Don't know if she ever took another class or not.  Probably in Peta's mind, that one class qualified her as a potential movie actress. I have to admit, I am not a Peta fan.

If I remember correctly, the "acting classes" came after Maks dumped her and stopped when he summoned her back. I guess it's kind of like all the movies Maks supposedly had coming out during his "I wanna be an actor" phase.....but at least Peta's got made. Maks has two right at the top of his IMDB page that nothing ever came of.

Not a fan of hers either and frankly, I think the only reason she's got any kind of recognition outside DWTS is because of Maks.

BTW, did you know she got Maks a cameo in the movie? Apparently neither of them can do anything professionally anymore without the other being involved.

Edited by Toonces464
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Toonces464 said:

If I remember correctly, the "acting classes" came after Maks dumped her and stopped when he summoned her back. I guess it's kind of like all the movies Maks supposedly had coming out during his "I wanna be an actor" phase.....but at least Peta's got made. Maks has two right at the top of his IMDB page that nothing ever came of.

Not a fan of hers either and frankly, I think the only reason she's got any kind of recognition outside DWTS is because of Maks.

BTW, did you know she got Maks a cameo in the movie? Apparently neither of them can do anything professionally anymore without the other being involved.

Yes, I read that somewhere. Don't know if it was on this site or another. Mak's big movie star plan was a bust. I could have told him it wouldn't work. Maks needs acting talent for that, which he lacks sorely. The only acting gigs he got was because he was connected to someone, not because of any talent. And that soap opera General Hospital connection was Kelly Monaco, Fuller House connection Candace Bure, and that Peta movie, of course connection is Peta. 

I have to say it is rather laughable that once Maks won a MBT, he seemed to think this was his ticket to movie stardom. In fact, just being on DWTS he thought was his ticket to movie stardom is even more laughable. A lot of it is due to arrogance and ego. Maks is a nice looking man, and if he had any acting talent, maybe he would have had success.  I guess we will never know, because it won't happen.

• Love 1
On 11/4/2018 at 2:48 PM, BeeBop88 said:

The only acting gigs he got was because he was connected to someone, not because of any talent. And that soap opera General Hospital connection was Kelly Monaco, Fuller House connection Candace Bure, and that Peta movie, of course connection is Peta. 

On 11/4/2018 at 6:03 PM, RomanKat said:

Don't know what happened or where distribution stands, but there's an official trailer on Facebook.

I noticed in the credits on the trailer that Natasha Bure is in the film. She's Candace Bure's daughter. So there's another connection, I guess for both Maks and Peta.  On Natasha's IMDB, the film is show in "post-production" which is normal after filming is done.  I had to laugh that the premise is Peta teaching someone to dance. Sooo original!

• Love 1

I was following a link to information on a guest star on Coronation Street and ended up on the following page describing a Brit tv show called Celebs on the Farm.  Looking at the cast picture, I saw a guy who looked very very like Gleb only possibly a little chunkier.  Turns out that was what Gleb did on his summer vacation:

http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/news/a864425/channel-5-celebs-on-the-farm-line-up-fans-laughing/