Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Chemical Attraction

Just watched the first segment.  Girl Alex is still in junior high. She called dibs on a guy, and the other girls are supposed to respect her feelings by ignoring their own .  Then she meets Taylor, and her criteria is whether or not a guy seems manly enough to protect her from a burglar. What a ditz.  The next girl asks him which Disney Prince he is like.  The guy is 36, are you really asking him that?

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, backformore said:

Just watched the first segment.  Girl Alex is still in junior high. She called dibs on a guy, and the other girls are supposed to respect her feelings by ignoring their own .  Then she meets Taylor, and her criteria is whether or not a guy seems manly enough to protect her from a burglar. What a ditz.  The next girl asks him which Disney Prince he is like.  The guy is 36, are you really asking him that?

The conversation that Alex had with the girl who returned from her date with BT. My mouth was wide open the entire time. When Alex said she was owed a comment from her and she came back with, you owe me and could have wished me well, I cheered. That was a logical discussion from her side. 

Why Imari would do that and in writing of all things, is beyond me. 

• Love 4

1. Eww on the new guy.  I truly feel like he may  have been a last minute substitute for a much, much better looking man.  I'm surprised he got three girls over to the tiki bar....but I guess it sort of made sense, because two of those girls are the least attractive out of the bunch (IMO).  And Taylor looks like some sort of hipster....oh boy, just all the way no.  There is a lid for every pot and I know there must be women out there that go for his type....so thank goodness.

2. And I also thought that his resentment that Lisa wouldn't fight another girl for his attention and amusement was just gross.  "Well, she was being a grumpy cat!"  Why, because she doesn't want to engage in a battle with Michelle for your time?  Have you consulted a mirror lately Taylor, because you're not the sort of guy that inspires women to go to war.  You're not Harry of Troy.

3. I really like the host....and I was completely ready to not like him, but he really seems to have the right mix and seems to genuinely care.

4. I wish I could see what Dom was talking about, because she kept referencing how much she was getting shut down by Imari so did that footage get left on the cutting room floor?  If so I think thats really unfair to her, because the way it looks is that she is just a debbie downer and Imari is a fun guy stuck with this anchor of a woman.

5.  Having said that, as accomplished as Dom is, I think it will be hard for her to find a man if she doesn't have a sense of humor and can't throw out a courtesy laugh or two.  

6.  Having said THAT, I think that someone who thinks that their every joke is comedy gold is probably an asshat.  If people don't laugh at my jokes, yeah, maybe they don't have a sense of humor, but at the same time, maybe my joke wasn't that funny.  

7.  Much respect to Dom for insisting that she leave, even though she didn't seem to know what the protocol was at the time...meaning that she didn't just agree to stay to get a nice vacation, if she had to go home, that was fine with her.  I do think they were just a bad match.

8. Not sure what to think about BT's decision.....I know I'm jaded, but there is a part of me that thinks he wanted to make the "right" decision for his image as a nice guy by picking the girl who is a virgin (can't remember her name).  I think he felt he would look like an asshole on national tv for picking the other girl after she told him that.  I would have felt it was more real if he had picked the blonde girl......maybe he would have looked like an asshole....but he would have been an authentic asshole.

• Love 4

#4- Exactly! What happened? She just seemed mean and like a wet blanket. Who doesn't even toast to "cheers"? Crazy, angry people, that's who. They were not a good match at all. But then, I don't find him funny or cute, so I'd be a fuddy duddy, too. No, no, I wouldn't. Is work to have fun with everyone else to make the most out of a bad situation. Unless something is on the cutting room floor, she didn't make any efforts. They were polar worlds apart.

#8- I hope BT is not one of those guys who think they can make you change your mind. Like she's gonna fall in love with him and he's going to get to hit it at the Villa before its all over. Can you imagine being in that gorgeous locale with a hottie and - he's chaste...blahhhhh

• Love 4

#4,5,6    I agree with you both and I like the term "courtesy laugh,"  RCharter.   I probably wouldn't have found any of Imari's jokes funny either (just because it rhymes doesn't mean it's hilarious) but I would have smiled and fake-chuckled, not covered my face and glowered.  Shunning the toast?  No excuse, Dom. 

It's a shame because Dom has such a classy look and is obviously very smart.  She just needs to find someone serious at the law office.

I didn't find Taylor as unattractive as most of the women  did.  He had some Don Draper moments but he would lose points when he laughed.  I hate to agree with horrible Girl Alex about anything, but he wasn't very masculine.

That initial conversation with Kristin and Girl Alex made me wonder how in the world Alex ever got this far being so completely self-centered.  Kristin -- who is such a good sport about every thing ) politely explained to her that she thought they should talk face-to-face and other women had liked BT, and all Alex could do was pull the I'm losing this argument ploy of , "I guess we'll have to agree to disagree."  Alex had spent five minutes with the guy when he chose someone else, so she could always tell herself he just didn't know her, but Kristin had spent the whole day with him and was rejected.  That has to kind of hurt.  

Then Alex runs off screaming so that someone thought there must be bees. Hah!  What an attention hog.

It must be so odd to be in that sort of direct competition.  I think, if I had been on the date with Taylor paying so much attention to Lisa, I would have done what Lisa did and quietly faded away for awhile.  Besides I think her behind was getting sunburned.

Now that's two guys, Boy Alex and Taylor who have said, "She is exactly is my type!" and then chose the other one.  Wonder what happened?

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm so surprised that Taylor fell for Lisa. He had such chemistry with Michelle!

I think the bros are getting along so sweetly. They would so get along on Survivor.

I don;t fault either Imari or Dominique. They're just not a match. Dom is super intense and Imari is light and fluffy. He'd actually be great for Girl Alex.

Awww no! Imari isnt even getting a 2nd chance?! The other guys will really miss him in the villa. I think the rest of the show will be a bit boring without him. Wow.

Uh oh. BT is getting frustrated. Probably must be hard for him to be around all these canoodling couples, and he's with a virgin. I hope they can at least get to one of the bases so his pent up frustration can be helped. Or maybe this is the next breakup....

Edited by Big Mother
  • Love 2

Taylor pings my gaydar a little bit.

I was surprised that Imari had to go home.  He shouldn't have texted Alicia, but I can understand why he did.  Dom doesn't know how to relax and have fun.

I thought Michelle had better chemistry with the host than she did with Taylor.

• Love 3

Part of me likes that the guys who get dumped in the villa phase go home - it would kind of mess up the format of the show otherwise - and part of me is sad there isn't a way to have these dudes at the villa when their previous match comes in with a new helicopter drop guy. But that's an itch that Bachelor in Paradise already scratches.

Most of these people I'm pretty indifferent towards, but the show's still a perfectly pleasant thing to watch on Hulu while I'm getting other things done around the house. Kristin's the only one I'm really rooting for, because she seems to have retained her common sense instead of just speaking in dating show platitudes. She looks just like Taylor Shilling! 

I think Girl Alex had a tearful meltdown after BT (wisely) didn't pick her at the tiki bar because she loves the cameras and is trying to self-produce a storyline, of course, but I bet it crossed her mind that with a relatively diverse cast of women around her, the likelihood of any other guy coming out of that helicopter being a white, rightwing military vet is pretty close to nil. I'm pretty much crossing my fingers that she ends the season matchless.

• Love 7

I'm curious what'll happen when one of the women that got rejected at the 2nd phase, comes back an episode or two later, into the villas, with another guy. For instance, imagine if Alicia would show up next episode in the villa with a guy who chose her, and Imari would have to see her the whole time.. or Ashley, Lisa, Brittany, etc., who were sent back from the villa, come back with another guy... it'll get a bit awkward...

1 hour ago, announcergirl said:

Did you notice that Imari's jokes were race based? That might have something to do with Dom thinking he wasn't funny. Shrug

I did, but I was wondering if those were just the ones they showed or if they were all like that. Although I did chuckle when Amari said something along the lines that everyone always laughs at his jokes. Inflated ego much?

4 minutes ago, GenL said:

I did, but I was wondering if those were just the ones they showed or if they were all like that. Although I did chuckle when Amari said something along the lines that everyone always laughs at his jokes. Inflated ego much?

Yes. He's much more cocky than he deserves to be. Maybe it made her cringe that he'd say those things in mixed company. I imagine her line of work is one where she constantly battles stereotypes- and Imari through one out there, I know for sure. Was it Blk folks don't swim or something? Straight ignorance and kowtowing. Then the " shiznik" thing. Ugh. Too much dude.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, announcergirl said:

Did you notice that Imari's jokes were race based? That might have something to do with Dom thinking he wasn't funny. Shrug

I totally agree and noticed that.  

I think it may have to do with their professions.  Imari is in the advertising field....where you may be expected to make those jokes to put certain CEO's or managers at ease around you.  But Dom is an attorney, and as such she may take umbrage at those jokes, because she has to constantly work to disprove that thinking and to be taken seriously as a woman of color in her field.

Not to mention that some of that humor can be funny, but even some of the "you know black people don't....." jokes were sort of off the wall.   Black people don't ride horses?  Really?

4 hours ago, announcergirl said:

Yes. He's much more cocky than he deserves to be. Maybe it made her cringe that he'd say those things in mixed company. I imagine her line of work is one where she constantly battles stereotypes- and Imari through one out there, I know for sure. Was it Blk folks don't swim or something? Straight ignorance and kowtowing. Then the " shiznik" thing. Ugh. Too much dude.

exactly....I wrote my post above before I read yours, but I totally agree.  

He was 20 minutes away from doing a softshoe, if those were the only jokes he had.

And -- ultimately, I think that had they known each other better, she may have been able to take him aside and tell him that he was doing too much with the "you know black people don't....." jokes.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

#4,5,6    I agree with you both and I like the term "courtesy laugh,"  RCharter.   I probably wouldn't have found any of Imari's jokes funny either (just because it rhymes doesn't mean it's hilarious) but I would have smiled and fake-chuckled, not covered my face and glowered.  Shunning the toast?  No excuse, Dom. 

It's a shame because Dom has such a classy look and is obviously very smart.  She just needs to find someone serious at the law office.

I didn't find Taylor as unattractive as most of the women  did.  He had some Don Draper moments but he would lose points when he laughed.  I hate to agree with horrible Girl Alex about anything, but he wasn't very masculine.

That initial conversation with Kristin and Girl Alex made me wonder how in the world Alex ever got this far being so completely self-centered.  Kristin -- who is such a good sport about every thing ) politely explained to her that she thought they should talk face-to-face and other women had liked BT, and all Alex could do was pull the I'm losing this argument ploy of , "I guess we'll have to agree to disagree."  Alex had spent five minutes with the guy when he chose someone else, so she could always tell herself he just didn't know her, but Kristin had spent the whole day with him and was rejected.  That has to kind of hurt.  

Then Alex runs off screaming so that someone thought there must be bees. Hah!  What an attention hog.

It must be so odd to be in that sort of direct competition.  I think, if I had been on the date with Taylor paying so much attention to Lisa, I would have done what Lisa did and quietly faded away for awhile.  Besides I think her behind was getting sunburned.

Now that's two guys, Boy Alex and Taylor who have said, "She is exactly is my type!" and then chose the other one.  Wonder what happened?

LOL -- I've given and received many courtesy laughs in my life!

I'm still confused as to how Alex thought that they were going to get married and have babies after talking to him for like 10 minutes.  I feel like she might be the sort that has a restraining order or two out on her.  I understand attraction at first sight....I get it, but to the point of crying and feeling like the girl he picked owes you a condolence text?  Odd.

I wonder what happened too with Alex and Taylor.  I wonder if its an editing thing....like there was more footage of the guy saying that the girl he picked was "just his type" and they spent a lot of time together, but they didn't show it.

And I personally wish they would show that footage instead of the cringeworthy and awkward close up kisses they always show.

• Love 1

Glad Imari is gone.  He was annoying as shit.  Sneaky and a player, too, as we saw by his texting.  Dom was nice, but I think she admitted she had no sense of humor.  Since Imari's was of the most imbecilic and juvenile type, they were not a good match.  She needs a man with sophisticated wit, not a childish bro. 

I think the fact that Michelle had a kid might have been a factor in Taylor not choosing her.  Men may say they think it's great you're a mother, etc., but that does not mean they want to take on that responsibility themselves.  Not that there will be any marriages out of this show, but even dating someone with a kid can be difficult.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, WhoAmIReally said:

Glad Imari is gone.  He was annoying as shit.  Sneaky and a player, too, as we saw by his texting.  Dom was nice, but I think she admitted she had no sense of humor.  Since Imari's was of the most imbecilic and juvenile type, they were not a good match.  She needs a man with sophisticated wit, not a childish bro. 

I think the fact that Michelle had a kid might have been a factor in Taylor not choosing her.  Men may say they think it's great you're a mother, etc., but that does not mean they want to take on that responsibility themselves.  Not that there will be any marriages out of this show, but even dating someone with a kid can be difficult.

I know I'll sound like a stick in the mud, but so many of these dating reality shows devolve into embarrassing drama so fast that I don't really get why anyone with a kid would do it.  There is so little that a person can control in terms of the storytelling and editing that it seems like a big risk to go on one of these shows and have to have your kid: a) see a storyline where you're painted in a negative light, and/or b) have to deal with other parents/kids who have seen you acting the fool on a reality show.

Imari and Don was just a bad, bad match -- while I wasn't a fan of Alicia, I think she and Imari would have been a much, much better match.  As you said, Dom needs someone a little more sophisticated and mature.  But just in life, I think it must be tough to not have a sense of humor so I feel bad for her.

• Love 2

I kind of liked Alex - before she met BT! That really showed her true crazy colors, wow. If I was in charge I would have made BT pick Kristen, I like her the best out of all the girls, I hope there is someone really smart and cool coming up for her. And I´d love to see Dom with a guy who could make her laugh and seem not so dull (another one I liked who turned bad, but I still have hope for her). But I think such superclassy and smart guys are not going to be on a show like this though. When BT was making his choice and bringing the virgin vs non-virgin argument up I think it accidentally sounded really lame, like one of them was dirty and the other pure.

1 hour ago, halkatla said:

When BT was making his choice and bringing the virgin vs non-virgin argument up I think it accidentally sounded really lame, like one of them was dirty and the other pure.

I know.  Or like virgins were all dull and boring, but would make good wives, while non-virgins were only fun to party with but wouldn't make good mothers.  BT is just too 1950's for me -- and I'm old-fashioned.  There are all sorts of good reasons why someone might want to wait for marriage and I have lots of respect for that choice, but it doesn't really say much about what kind of wife or mother she might make and it sure doesn't preclude being a fun person to be around.  BT should have picked Kristen who he said was his type.  He seems to be all caught up in his own head about what a grown-up guy does and so he went against his natural inclination thinking he has to be serious all the time  now.

BT's choice is a model but she also does a lot of public speaking on body image issues. I think she and BT would have that in common -- public speaking, wanting to help others.

I think Dom has a sense of humor. She certainly laughed around the girls and smiled a lot, but Imari wasn't a good fit. I personally found his humor cringe-worthy and felt like he plays that up to fit in but that isn't everyone's ball of wax. Alicia and he might have had a few more laughs, but Imari doesn't really come across as ready to settle down, which is totally fine but just shows how much of a mismatch he and Dom were. 

Alex seems so immature. As if she attended a college in the same town she grew up in and just graduated. The woman who was her friend -- Lauren -- seems much more together and mature. I thought her responses were right on and Alex's were the equivalent of a child sticking her fingers in her ears. 

• Love 2